Hannah D. Healey

17 Jul 1868 - 14 Jan 1946


Hannah D. Healey

17 Jul 1868 - 14 Jan 1946
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grandpa and Grandma (James Carlisle and Hannah Alice Avery Devey Healey) Given July 15, 1978, by Rea Carlton at the first James and Hannah Healey Family Reunion Come along Cousins, and let’s travel, down a lane of long ago, We’ll go with memory guiding our path, back through years we used to kno
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Hannah D. Healey
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Hannah D. Healey


Alpine Cemetery

283 N 300 E
Alpine, Utah, Utah
United States


May 28, 2011

Alpine Cemetery

January 1, 1970

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Hannah D....

We found more records about Hannah D. Healey.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Hannah D.


Hannah D. Healey is buried in the Alpine Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



A Tribute to Grandpa and Grandma Healey

Contributor: onredroads Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Grandpa and Grandma (James Carlisle and Hannah Alice Avery Devey Healey) Given July 15, 1978, by Rea Carlton at the first James and Hannah Healey Family Reunion Come along Cousins, and let’s travel, down a lane of long ago, We’ll go with memory guiding our path, back through years we used to know. Do you remember the old creek bridge, with loose boards and sun latticed floor? We raced across it a hundred times, up to Grandpa and Grandma’s door. Those wonderful times have long since gone; all those days of yesteryear, But memory clings to each one of us; of the grandparents we hold dear. I remember when I was a little girl, Grandpa used to say to me Come over here my little child, and climb upon my knee. And he’d tell me all the stories of his life from start to end, Each time there were newer and better tales than my mind could comprehend. There never was a grandchild, at least none I ever knew, Who didn’t enjoy the Grandpa’s stories? Especially if they’re true. So today I would like to share with you my grandparents, as I knew the, and also as is recorded in their life stories: Grandpa, (James Carlisle Healey) was born right here in Alpine, then called Mountainville, Utah, to two of the earliest settlers of the town, James and Mary Carlisle Healey. He was justly proud of the name he bore, because he came to realize their courage and faith and willingness for a religion which to them was true and of eternal value. Alpine is where Grandpa made his home, which he loved so much, and here he stayed for his entire life of 79 years. But Grandma (Hannah Alice Devey Healey) was born in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, July 17, 1868, and today is an extra special day for us, because we are celebrating her 100th birthday. She was just a little girl, five years old when she cam by ship, with her mother and two sisters, to join her father and two brothers, already here in America. She never forgot her journey on that ship, celebrating her fifth birthday aboard, and dancing and performing for the passengers. When she arrived in Alpine, she had the measles, and plans had to be changed from going to live with her brothers family until her father’s home was finished. Instead they nailed up the doors and windows of the unfinished house and moved right in—and as time went on, additions and modernizations took place, and that pioneer home built back in 1873 was to be her home all her life. Both Grandpa and Grandma went to the public schools, but their education was very limited. Both grew up under pioneer conditions and knew the value of good hard work. Grandpa and his brother Richard herded sheep, and also worked hard on their father’s farm, which he eventually turned over to them. They decided, after herding sheep for wages for someone else for quite a period of time, to begin a herd of their own, and this they did, which was known as the Healey Brother’s Herd. They followed the sheep business for over twenty years, and did very well. Grandpa loved the range, the farm, and the mountains, and everything that God created in the great outdoors. He could on any occasion, and given a chance, tell many an exciting story of how he hunted and trapped bears, wild cats, and many other wild animals. He supplied a good part of the meat supply needed in his home because of his skill and ability to capture these animals. He could call by name all the trees, shrubs, and plants on the range, in the hills, and in the mountains and he loved them all. Meanwhile, back on the farm, Grandma was growing up. She not only learned from her mother all the skills of the home, but she worked outside as well, and also in her father’s shop. She was never afraid of work, and quite often she did more than was wise for her health, which was not too good at that particular time. On July 21, 1897, when Grandpa was 21, and Grandma was 19, they were married by George Clark, the Justice of the Peace, in Alpine. Then in 1892, they went to the Manti Temple and were sealed together, along with their two children. Grandpa and Grandma lived with her parents and cared for them until their death, and they then took over the family home. They were both of a religious nature, devoted to, and holding many positions in the church through their entire life. This is very evident by a call which came to Grandpa in 1909, when they had eight children, five of them still very small. Grandpa was called to serve a mission in the Southern States. He was a Seventy at the time, and already a great missionary by the example he set. They did not question, or doubt, but accepted wholeheartedly this opportunity and responsibility to share with others the gospel which meant so much to them. Meanwhile, back on the farm, again Grandma and her eight children went right on with the work, overseeing Grandpa’s normal affairs, and they proved equal to every task. They gave much credit to the Lord, and they did not want for anything during his absence. After returning home from his mission, and settling down to a normal routine, their children grew, and one by one, they married and left home. They both acquired added responsibility in the church and also in civic and community affairs. Grandpa served as one of the Council of the 128th Quorum of Seventy, as a Sunday School teacher, teaching the Gospel Doctrine class for more than fifteen years. He was a Stake Missionary, serving for several years, and served also as a Ward Teacher. He was a member of the Old Folks Committee for twelve years, most of this time acting as Chairman. He served as a member of the Alpine City Council and also Treasurer. He was also a member of the Alpine Irrigation Board, and Treasurer here also. He also served as Deputy County Assessor for two years. Meanwhile, Grandma worked in the Primary Organization as a Counselor, and a Visiting Teacher in the Relief Society. For many years she was President of the Sewing Committee of the Ward, whose work was to prepare Temple clothing for the dead. They both enjoyed good health most of their life, except Grandma had a rather serious operation in 1922, and Grandpa was stricken with typhoid fever in 1929, and was very ill for several months. They were great believers in prayer, and relate many experiences when the Lord has blessed them through practicing this great principle throughout their lives. Grandpa tells one exciting story of how one day while riding in the mountains after cattle, late in the fall, he lost his watch. As it was late in the day and being afraid of losing the stock, he decided it would be useless to try to find it that day. He came home after dark, and was very busy for about two weeks. He had almost given up hope of ever finding it again. But one day it looked as though it was going to storm, and he was very much impressed to go back and look for it; as he knew if it snowed he never would find it. The next morning he saddled his horse, taking with him his lunch and a gun, and was ready to start the search. As he stood there, thinking what was the best thing to do, the thought cam to him, “Why not kneel down and pray?” It certainly did seem like a hopeless undertaking alone. After offering a humble prayer, asking his Heavenly Father to direct him where to go, and telling him how helpless he was, he arose very much encouraged. He went as straight to that watch as if it had been a house, and he knew just where to find it. In telling about it, he said he again knelt in prayer and thanked his Father in Heaven for hearing and answering his prayer. Grandpa and Grandma had many wonderful and full years together. In their later years, they experienced their greatest joy in instituting Family Organizations and in doing research and Temple work, also in watching their children and grandchildren take part in the Church. Their children, raised in an atmosphere of a prayerful Latter-day Saint home, are outstanding in their service in the wards and stakes in which they live. The unity of the brothers and sisters is also remarkable and a great example to all of us. On July 21, 1937, they celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary in the Alpine School Gymnasium. Their nine sons and daughters and their families all joined with them on this happy occasion. The family circle was not broken by death until their daughter Lila passed away March 18, 1943. Then on June 8, 1945, Grandpa passed away at their family home, after having only been sick and in bed for one week. The next month, in July, Grandma was honored at a Devey Family Reunion on the spacious lawn of her own home, as being the only survivor of the original pioneer Devey family. Grandma was so lonesome and lost after Grandpa’s passing, and he must have missed her very much too, because just seven months later, she went to be with him, never to be separated again, but to live forever in that great and glorious kingdom, which they both had so earnestly desired and earned through their mortal lives. A joint funeral was held for Grandma and her eldest daughter, Esther, who had died just two day previously, and of which she was completely unaware of due to the seriousness of her own illness. Grandpa and Grandma’s family of honorable sons and daughters and the rest of their posterity are a monument to their memory, and the children will forever be able to point with pride to a father and mother whose careers here were not prematurely closed, but were filled to overflowing throughout their earthly missions. They raised a family of nine children: seven girls and two boys. They lived to see all of them married and comfortably settled. They are: Esther (Mrs. Alma Hamnett), James William; Lila (Mrs. Joseph Leroy Bair); Alice LaRue (Mrs. Omer E. Hall); Buena Ethel (Mrs. James Henry Beck); ElRoy D; Laura Perl (Mrs. Edward Carpenter); Verland Grace (Mrs. Leland Beck); and Zora Nevada (Mrs. Ferren N. Sager). Their children living today are: Elroy D., Verland, and Zora. Zora and her husband Ferren, are at the present time serving a mission at the Liberty Church Center in Missouri and they have many other of their descendants representing them in the mission field. Grandpa and Grandma have a posterity of 9 Children, 49 grandchildren, 171 great grandchildren, 190 great great grandchildren, 2 great great great grandchildren, also 11 great step-grandchildren, 21 great great step-grandchildren, and 1 great great great step-grandchild which anyone would be justly proud of. And so to Grandpa and to Grandma: Today as we are commemorating Grandma’s 110th Birthday Anniversary and also your 91st Wedding Anniversary, I’m proud to pay tribute to you for your very lives, for your example, and MY heritage, which I hold so priceless and dear to my heart, and this tribute would not be complete without saying: I never will forget you, Though you’re gone and I am grown, It seems like only yesterday And the years have fairly flown. I’m thankful for everything we shared Along life’s treasured way. All those memories that seem so dear Were only yesterday. Time and space can’t separate Me from you and you from me For love will bind us together Throughout eternity. Found in Verland Beck's genealogy Submitted by Yvonne Williams

Hannah Alice Avery Devey Healey Life Sketch

Contributor: onredroads Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Hannah Healey was born July 17, 1868 in Wolverhampton, Stafforshire, England. She was the ninth child of William Devey and Ann Kershaw. She was born about a month after her oldest brother, John and his young wife sailed from Liverpool, England for America. When she was a child of three years of age, her father left England to come to America for the sake of the gospel to join Hannah’s older brother. Six months later, her other brother, William with Avery Timms made the journey with a company of Saints when they were just eleven years old. The next year in 1873, Hannah, who was then nearly five years old, came with her mother and sister Martha to join her father and two brothers in America. She could remember well dancing for the sailors on board the ship on her fifth birthday, and the passengers often gave her pennies to get her to dance for them. She left one brother and two older sisters behind in England. Her brother Joseph did eventually come to America, but she never saw her two older sisters again. When they arrived in Salt Lake City, they were met by her father and brother, John, who brought them to Alpine. But upon arrival, she broke out in measles and was taken right over to the unfinished one room adobe house which her father had built but had no doors or windows. It had been his intention to take them to the home of her brother, John, but because of the measles it was deemed unwise to take her there as they had two small children. So, they nailed up the doors and the windows in the unfinished house, and she was brought to the home where she was to live the rest of her life. Hannah attended public school which was then held in the city hall and was taught by Elsie Booth. When she was eight years old, she was baptized by David Adams in the dry creek by the old Walton Bridge. She and Albert Adams were the only two children baptized at that time. As a young girl, Hannah grew up under pioneer conditions. She not only helped with the work in the house, but worked outside and in the blacksmith shop whenever her father needed her help. She was never afraid of work, in fact, she often did it more than what was wise for her considering her health and strength. As a young girl, she did not enjoy the best health and was visited for a number of years by R.T. Booth, the only doctor that was in Alpine at the time. She attended the Sunday School and Primary meetings. She was the secretary in the Primary Association for some years, never leaving the Primary until the year that she was married. On July 21, 1887, Hannah Devey married James Carlisle Healey at her home. Later on September 22, 1892, they were sealed for time and eternity in the Manti Temple. She was the only child at home at the time of her marriage. Her father did not have the best of health, and her mother worked as a nurse in the ward. It was her parent’s desire that Hannah and her husband would not leave the old family home. It was here that they lived and raised a large family. James built onto the old house and made a comfortable home much to the joy of Hannah. Theirs was a happy home and the children were brought up in a righteous and religious atmosphere. They not only taught what was right but set the right example before the children. Ann Devey, Hannah’s mother, often said that James never spoke a cross word to her during all those years. Hannah was a devoted daughter to her parents. For many years her parents lived with her; her father died in 1897 and her mother died in 1906. As Ann Devey was dying, she called her children to her and told them that her husband had come for her and it was time to go, then she turned to Hannah and said, “Hannah, you have been a good daughter to me. You should have no regrets. I hope when you are old, you’ll have a daughter who will be as good to you as you have been to me.” They raised a large family of nine children- two boys and seven girls. They were: Esther, James, Lilla, Alice, Buena, Elroy, Laura, Verland, and Zora. It was in 1899 when her oldest baby, Esther was nine months old was stricken with typhoid fever for about ten weeks. Their closest neighbor, James Watkins, had a six month old baby die with the fever, they lived just south of Hannah’s home, in a little log house just over the fence in Samuel Strong’s field. In January 1909, her husband was called on a mission to the Southern States for almost two years. Hannah was left with a family of eight children and a large farm to care for. To this trust as always she proved herself capable. It was through the blessing of our Father in Heaven, hard work on her part and with the help of their oldest son, William, only 17 years old, they were able to manage during the absence of her husband. The raising of her children kept Hannah home a good part of the time. She still found time to serve in the Relief Society for twenty years and was second counselor in the Primary. For many years she served as President of the Sewing Committee of the ward, whose work was to prepare the temple clothes for the dead. In times of sickness and trouble, she was always on hand to help and give a comforting word. Hannah and James worked as members of the Old Folks for twelve years and part of this time her husband was the chairman. Together they spent many hours in temple and family history research work and in forming family organizations. It was through them that the first Healey Organization was begun. Their greatest joy came from doing this kind of work and associating with their family and relatives. In the spring of 1922, she was taken sick and unable to work all summer and on September 10th, she was taken to the American Fork Hospital and was operated on for gall stones and came very close to dying; having five good doctors with her, but it was through the blessings of Heavenly Father and the faith and prayers of family and friends that she was able to return home a month later and enjoyed the best of health for many years. She was a devoted wife and mother. She was always a good housekeeper and homemaker. The meals were always ready on time and the house was very clean. She was a good manager and a splendid executive and was prepared for any emergency. She always showed a great deal of determination. If there was anything she wanted or needed, she worked hard in order to get it. She was never satisfied with less than the best things in life for herself and her loved ones. It was her desire to live one day after James an in this she had her wish. On June 1, 1945, James took sick and died on June 8, 1945. From then on, Hannah’s only desire was to join him. All that was done for her was appreciated but still she wasn’t happy. And so the Lord in His mercy called her home on January 14, 1946, only seven months after the death of her husband. She had been confined to her bed in the home of her daughter, Buena. A joint funeral was held for Hannah and her oldest daughter, Esther Hamnett, who died on January 12, 1946. Hannah was unaware that her daughter had preceded her in death.

Hannah Alice Avery Devey Healey, a biography

Contributor: onredroads Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

By Reba H. Dunsdon In the passing away of Sister Hannah Healey there is a vacancy which can never be filled. For a time she dwelt among us, but now she has joined the majority in the spirit world leaving only a memory of her and the fruits of good deeds and a kindly influence. She was a friend faithful and just and was a splendid type of true wife and mother. Hannah Alice Avery Devey Healey was born in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, and was the ninth child of William and Ann Kershaw Devey and was born July 17, 1868. When only a child of three years of age, her father left England to come to America for the gospel’s sake and to join her oldest brother John who had left two years before. She was left in England with her mother and three older sisters and two brothers. But one of these brothers left six months after her father to come to Utah. In June, 1873, her mother with two daughters, Martha and Hannah, left England to join her husband and two sons who had arrived in America, leaving one son and two older daughters behind. Lather the other son joined them, but the two older daughters never came to America. When they arrived in Salt Lake City, they were met by their father and brother, John, who brought them to Alpine. They settled in an unfinished one-room adobe house which her father had built and which was a part of her present home today. She attended the public schools which were then held in the City Hall and was taught by Sister Elsie Booth. When she was eight years of age, she was baptized by David Adams in Dry Creek. As she grew in years, she attended and served in the auxiliary organizations of the Church and was Secretary of the Primary until she was married. In 1887, she was married to James C. Healey and sealed to him in the Manti Temple in 1892. But she being the only child then at home with her parents and her father not enjoying the best of health and her mother going out nursing the sick in the ward, it was the desire of her parents that she and her husband should not leave the old home. It was there that they lived and raised a large family of children—two boys and seven girls. In 1909, her husband was called on a mission to the Southern States and she was left with eight children. It was through the blessings of our Heavenly Father and the help of her oldest son, Will, that they did not want for anything during her husband’s absence. For a number of years she helped make all temple clothes for it was then customary to make all temple clothes for the dead. She and her husband were on the Old Folks’ Committee for a number of years. She also served as Second Counselor in the Primary Association and has acted as a Relief Society Teacher for 25 years. She also was on the Sewing Committee of the Relief Society with Sister Annie Hall and Ada Adams. “Aunt Hannah” was thrifty, industrious and a lover of beauty, making her an ideal housekeeper and mother. Her hospitality will well be remembered by all who visited her home. She always remembered the sick and unfortunate and was always there to lend a helping hand. In later years, she and Uncle Jim experienced their greatest joy in instituting family organizatons and in doing research and Temple work. The love, care, and devotion “Aunt Hannah” showed towards her own aged mother has been rewarded by the dutiful attention she has received from her own children. Her children, raised in an atmosphere of a prayerful Latter-day Saint home, are outstanding in their services in the ward in which they live. The unity of these brothers and sisters is outstanding. “Uncle Jim’s” and “Aunt Hannah’s” greatest joy was watching their children and grandchildren in the service of the Church. The sympathy and prayers of this ward are with these two families who have passed through three great sorrows during these past seven months. Found in my Grandmother Verland Healey Beck's genealogy

Life timeline of Hannah D. Healey

Hannah D. Healey was born on 17 Jul 1868
Hannah D. Healey was 9 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Hannah D. Healey was 20 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
See More
Hannah D. Healey was 27 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
See More
Hannah D. Healey was 35 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
Hannah D. Healey was 46 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Hannah D. Healey was 60 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
See More
Hannah D. Healey was 62 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
See More
Hannah D. Healey died on 14 Jan 1946 at the age of 77
Grave record for Hannah D. Healey (17 Jul 1868 - 14 Jan 1946), BillionGraves Record 2063 Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States