H B Radmall

23 Apr 1814 - 9 Jul 1908

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

H B Radmall

23 Apr 1814 - 9 Jul 1908
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of H B Radmall (23 Apr 1814 - 9 Jul 1908) at Pleasant Grove City Cemetery in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

H B Radmall


Pleasant Grove City Cemetery

301-945 Utah 146
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Born Bedford England

Richard Green

December 30, 2011


December 23, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of H B


H B Radmall is buried in the Pleasant Grove City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Henry Bullifant Radmall

Contributor: Richard Green Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Life Story of Henry Bullifant Radmall Transcribed by DeLoy Denning, Great Great Grandson of Henry B. Radmall, father of Mary Jane Radmall, who is the mother of Eva Caroline Ainsworth, who is the mother of Nyle Ainsworth Denning, who is the father of DeLoy Denning. The following is from a hand written account of the several stories: Who the writer may be, at this time, is unknown as several of the stories are written in 1st person. Inclusive are stories of Caroline Severen Radmall, Fanny Burgess Gorringe, Emma Wood Cook, Daniel Wood, Mark Cook and Amos Cook, all ancestors. Great Granddad Preface At eighty eight, (88), Henry Bullifant Radmall was able to look back over the vista of pioneer years and the days of his youth with a vision unimpaired. The view of hardship and trial which he saw filled him with a desire to record some of the incidents of his life, thus conveying to his children a testimony of the deep and abiding faith in God, which enabled him to carry on in the face of soul wrenching difficulties. Being a somewhat difficult undertaking for one of his age, the task could not be completed at one setting. He, therefore wrote somewhat intermittently, with the result that several different sketches of his life appeared. These have been collected and carefully compiled by his grandchildren, forming a fascinating narrative, tinctured with a quaint and homey philosophy and an abundance of native wit. In order to retain the zest of his personality, his original language has been retained. This life story gives ample reason for pride in such an ancestry. Autobiography of Henry B. Radmall I, Henry B. Radmall was born 23 April, 1814 in Retford, Nottinghamshire, England. My father’s name was William Radmall, born in Retford and buried in the old church yard burring ground, East Retford, Nottinghamshire, England. My mother’s maiden name was Elizabeth Steadman, born at Sutton, near Retford by cloud. She died in Retford and was buried in the Wesleyan Methodist burring ground at Retford, Nottinghamshire, Eng in the year 1825. When father died he left mother with three of us children, John Radmall, then myself, Henry B. Radmall and Mary Ann Radmall. John died and Mary Ann got married to one by the name of Samuel Gee of Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England, came to America in the year 1847 and lived in Bronaville, Latchen Co., Ohio until the year 1852 or 1853. After father’s death, mother was married to one by the name of Thomas Godfrey, and they had four children, Elizabeth, Peter, Ann. The other one’s name I have forgotten. Two were buried at Clarbeth, near REtford and Ann died at Goold on the Umber, near Hull. I saw my half sister, Elizabeth, forty eight years ago. She was married to one by the name of Joseph Grisby and had four children at Worksop, Nottinghamshire, Eng., and I have heard no more about them. My grandfather, on father’s side, was named John Radmall. He was born at Retford (spelled Ratford) or near there as I understand. He died there and was buried there in the old East Retford church yard where my father and brother was buried. My grandmother on father’s side was named Ann Buttry, born at Great Grimsby, I suppose near Retford, England. They had but one son, William, and one daughter. William was my father. I was married to Caroline Severn, 22 July 1944, (I believe this date to be in error, I think it should be 1844), at the Independence chapel Chesterfield, Derbyshire England. Caroline Severn Radmall was born 28 Sept 1825, at chesterfield, Derbyshire, Eng. She died 21 November 1883 in Salt Lake City and was buried at Pleasant Grove, UT. We had twelve (12) children. Elizabeth Ann Radmall born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, Eng. 11 April 1846, Died 1 Nov 1932 at South Gates, California. William Henry Radmall, born 26 Aug 1847 at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, Eng. Died 8 Aug 1848 at Liverpool, Eng. Sarah Radmall, born 15 Dec 1848 at Liverpool, Eng. died 14 July 1850 at St Louis, MO. Emale Gee Radmall born 8 Sept 1850 at St Louis, MO, Died 28 June 1852 at St Louis MO. Samuel Radmall, born July 1952 at St Louis, MO, died 9 Mar 1926 at Long Beach CA. Alma Radmall, born 23 Dec 1853, at Salt Lake City, UT, died 3 July 1924, at Pleasant Grove, UT Mary Jane Radmall, born 15 June 1856, at Springville UT, died--- Henry James Radmall, born 25 Sept 1858, at Springville, UT Co, UT. Caroline Ameala Radmall, born22 Aug, 1860, at Springville, Utah Co, UT. Died. Daniel Rafflee Radmall, born 28 Feb 1865, at Big Springs, Pleasant Grove, UT. Died 20 Sept 1881 at Pleasant Grove, UT Joseph Albert Radmall, born 22 Dec 1866 at Pleasant Grove, UT. Died 11 Dec 1934 at Provo, UT. Dowen Zere Radmall, born 2 July 1872 at Pleasant Grove, UT. Died 12 June, 1910 at McGill Nevada. After the death of my first wife, I was married to Mary E. Huldsborg, born 27 July 1832 at Shedra, Sweden. When I was the age of two (2) years and nine (9) months old, my father died and left my mother with three children, John, myself and Mary Ann. She remained a widow for about two years, doing the best she could to maintain herself and us children. She then married a man by the name of Thomas Godfrey, expecting to better her circumstances but alas, not so for he was far from being on to the best men in the world, I would say, he was too fond of drink and none too good to her or us children. “Bad man”, I used to call him. Though I was abut young, he made me work very hard. When about seven years old, I had to work at a rope factory, turning the wheel and helping to make rope. When I was about nine (9) years old, he left that work and went to make brick at a brick yard, and I had to carry the brick for him and do other work that was too heavy for me. I had to get up in the morning about five (5) O’clock and walk about two miles to work and be there by six (6) O’clock. At last my stepfather left my mother for about six (6) months. He then returned with another woman. It looks like he came back to finish what he had already began, that was poverty, sorrow, sickness and at last death. While my stepfather was away, my mother had me bound apprentice for ten years to a man by the name of Edward Paterson, a cotton weaver. I was then eleven (11) years old. Four months after my stepfather returned, my mother passed away and left us children to scratch through this alone. None but God knew my feelings. My stepfather then went off and left us to get through this world the best we could. There was three of us Radmall children and two of the Godfrey’s and I don’t think we have all been under one roof together from that day to this. I hope “Bad man”, as I called him got to be a better man. Now, mother dead and buried, he sold all and left the house and off he went, and I have never seen him since. That is about seventy seven (77) years ago and I say, “good-by Thomas”. In a little while my grandfather died, then my brother. Now there was no more of the Radmall family left but myself of the males. I have tried to find some of my relatives but could not. I will tell you how it is. My grandfather and grandmother Radmall had two children, one son and one daughter Jane. William was my father and he died when I was young as I have said before. My aunt changed her name to Pachsen and my ssister, her name to Gee, and my brother died. That left grandmother and me of the Radmall name. I think my grandmother is dead now for she was near ninety (90) years old when I saw her last. That was in the year 1847 so that leaves me to tell the tale the best I know how. So, now I press on to tell about my apprenticeship days. My mother had tried to teach us to be good children and do right and to pray. I well remember one Sunday when my mother was sick in bed. Me and my sister went into the house with some little willow blooms in our hands, and we called them palms as it was palm Sunday, and the day of their lone feast or taking of the Sacrament of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. She had us kneel down beside her bed and she prayed for us children and wished us to keep the Sabbath day holy. I left her bed side that nite, about eight (8) O’clock. In the morning word came that my mother was dead. I then, was learning to weave with two shuttles, and I dropped a shuttle and broke some threads. Now that my mother was gone, there was no one to take my part, so my boss could treat me as he pleased. It was the first time I felt particularly sorrowful, to my knowledge, and I thought my sorrows had begun, and I thought right. To make things worse, he gave me a slap on the side of my head that brought grief to me that I have never forgotten though it was about seventy six (76) years ago. I being eighty six (86) years old now. After that he gave me many more and continued to abuse me by starving and whipping. A little while after that, my grandmother and my boss disagreed about my brother as he had done something wrong. He charged me not to go near or in her house. What to do, I did not know. It seemed as if my life was in his hands. In a short while after that, the family left Retford and went to Chesterfield and me with them as I was bound apprentice till I was twenty one (21) years old. Was I always a good boy? No I was not. I had my bad traits and my play, but instead of being kind to me it was, “Dam you, I’ll make you do so and so”. He made me anything but a sensible boy. I took it very hard. I become wild and careless. I forgot the counsel and teachings of my mother, I would go wandering in the fields or woods on the Sabbath day. Many times I would think of my mother and have severe thoughts and feel sorry and ashamed, but I would soon forget. I went on like this until I was about seventeen (17) years old, and then the (Armendan) (SP) Methodists came and preached in our town. My comrade joined them and invited me to go with him to the meetings. I went. There was a young woman preached and I thought and think so yet, that I never saw such an angel in my life. She convinced me that I was a sinner and I repented and joined their church. Then I become a real devil with my comrades. There was such a few belonging to that church in our town, that they soon left there. So, in a while after, I joined the Primitive Methodist Church. Then I become a religious devil again. Soon my time as apprentice was up, but I stayed with my religion. As I grew older, I grew stronger. I had taken my boss’s kicks and blows till I was nearly twenty years old, then I come to the stand where I would not take any more. I would rather die or serve in prison the rest of my life. When dinner time came, we had to go about one half mile to dinner. There I took my few belongings, which was a few trinkets and two or three little books and left. They soon missed me and tried to catch me, but could not. When I had been gone about a week, he received a letter from my grandmother stating that I would come back and serve the balance of my time, providing he would stop his abuse, for I would not stand it any longer. If he had given me a little more bread and a few kind words, how much better it would been for all. He sent word that I was to come back and stay until my time was up or until I was twenty one (21) years old. Now my time was up and I was free. I was but a child in stature, a little less than four feet tall and very thin, for if ever a boy was stunted, I was. I left there and went to another town in Yorkshire. Then I started to grow and I grew until I was about five foot five or six inches tall and weighed about 125 pounds. Now I was free so I found a job in a pork shop and stayed there four (4) years. I saved some money and found me a partner, and we went into business for ourselves in Chesterfield. It was while there I become acquainted with Caroline Severn, and fell in love with her. In a little while I decided to get married. It seemed unequal, as my partner had a wife and one child. They were very unwilling that I should marry, but that did not matter. I got married just the same. I was married on the 22 July, 1844. Then they wanted their money back and dissolve the partnership. We did dissolve partnership, and I no sooner got out of one trouble, than I got in another as that was my lot. I started a small grocery store, we went along very well for a little while then my wife was taken down with the Typhoid fever. The Doctor said, “Mr. Radmall, you must not tell anyone that your wife has the typhoid fever, if you do all the people will leave your store”. My wife in bed and me in the store. I sent for her mother but she could not be with her all the time, so she come when she could and her sister came once in awhile, so I had to do the best I could. When I was alone I would run upstairs and wait on my wife, then back down and wait on the customers, then upstairs again and so on. When the people ask me how my wife was, I told them that she had a bad cold, but would be better soon. In a few weeks, my wife was better and able to be up and around, when suddenly she was taken down with pleurisy in her side and had to be bled with leaches. But alas is that all? No, she no sooner got over one thing than she was taken down again. This time it was rheumatism and could not turn over in bed. Now that we were over the Typhoid Fever, I got more help, a girl and a woman to help me and things went along much better. Then come the baby, our first child. After my wife got well, she went to church with me and joined the church society and we were coming along fine, when comes that Brigham Yound (spelling in original text) and that John Taylor to our town, preaching some kind of doctrine, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, and giving sight to the blind, and all such rot as I thought. My wife’s mother and father went to hear them preach the gospel, and they joined the church. Now What! Next thing they come preaching that terrible dammed doctrine as I thought to my wife. That was worse than all the rest of my troubles I had ever had. We belonged to the Primitive Methodist society, and she going to the Mormons, now when my wife’s father told her that it was the true gospel, she believed him, then I knew I had no more control over her. They kept preaching to them until her father and mother and she and her sister joined the Mormon Church. This was about the year 1846. They continued to talk to me, especially one old lady, as good a soul as ever lived, and I had a very bad time of it. I wanted to se a sign, I wanted them to go with me to the graveyard and raise the dead, as they could do so much, I did see a sign before I joined the church. Many times I was convinced that it was right, but I had said so much, and the devil and me had a hard time to part and I hope we shall never have such a time together again. I must tell you I did see a sign before I joined the Mormon Church. Our daughter was about one year old. She had very sore eyes and we thought she would go blind. But one night here comes my wife’s sister, she came two miles or more to take my wife and baby to be administered to at a Latter-day Saint meeting. They said but little to me and I but little to them. I soon closed the store, as it was getting late and went to bed feeling very bad and very mad. In the morning I began scolding my wife. Before I was out of bed, telling her that she had blinded the child. While I was scolding about that, the child turned over and stared me in the face with eyes as well as mine. This child was Elizabeth Ann; she is quite an old woman today and can read without glasses. Then I did not know what to say, I could see my mistake and was sorry, so I had to make the best of it. I began going to the meetings after that and was baptized into the church 25 April, 1847. After joining the church, things did not go so well with us, I was the only storekeeper in the town that had joined the Mormons so all my customers began leaving my store. Then it began to go hard with us. We decided that the sooner we closed out our business the better and make our way to Salt Lake City, Utah. I then talked to the president of the branch, Glord Rogers. I told him that I had enough money to take our little family to America, but not to Salt Lake City. He said that the Mormon’s were about to charter a ship, so I should close my affairs and go as quick as possible. I did so, and in about a week, I sent my wife to her folks in Liverpool, we had two children then, she took the boy with her and left the girl with some friends of ours at Sheffield. In a short time I got my affairs settled, I took my stick in my hand, my bundle on my back, and walked twelve miles to Sheffield, got my little daughter and then went on, arriving in Liverpool on the third day. The first thing I did on arrival in Liverpool was to go to Mr. Wilson’s office, as he was the ship agent. My wife was going to leave me her address there and I wanted to know when a ship would leave for New Orleans. I was told one would leave very soon. My wife having been there had received the same answer, so she had paid a little on our fare. I decided to just pay enough for one fare or my own passage for the present. I left my bundle in the office and went to find my wife and folks. I found them in very poor circumstances, my wife’s father having died a few weeks before and her brother was very sick. He soon died and was buried at Liverpool. Then our little son, William Henry, took sick and died and was buried at Liverpool also. I left Chesterfield on White Sunday 1848 expecting to sail with my family to America, but our money kept going week after week for rent and grub, sickness and death of our child and all, until things looked bad for us. Now no ship had been chartered. I think (spelled thank) my Heavenly Father had a hand in my paying my passage ahead of time, because if I had not already paid my passage as I did, I would of gon on another ship (Ocean Minick). They asked me to go on this ship and anker for them in place of another man. I went to see about it and was told that the ship would sail at such a time but I should come back and see them again before that time. I went as I had promised and the answer was, “Mr. Radmall, we do not need you now” so I had to wait till Mr. Wilson chartered a ship as I found out I could not get my money back to pay my passage on this ship. I thank my Heavenly Father for that. His protecting care was over me but I did not know it at the time. The “Ocean Minick” sailed for New York but only got into the Irish Channel then caught fire. Hundred passengers on board and few were saved. All I saw of her again was the burnt rafters as the tide brought them into the docks. A little later the Mormons did charter a ship, the Erins Queen, so I sailed on this ship on 7 Sept, 1848. My wife walked down to the docks with me, as I was going on board to sail away to leave her and my little daughter, and she expecting another child. I did not know what to do. Money all gone but five shillings or about $1.05, I did not know if I should go and leave her now or not, but she said, “Go, your passage is paid for and I will get along alright with my sister and her husband.” They had promised that they would do the best they could for her. She was to live with them and they would share all with her. We had to go into a beer house to talk as we could not talk on the dock, so we spent the five cents for a drink of ale. Now I only had one dollar left so I wanted her to have that but she would not and it was the first thing I needed when I got to America. I told her if possible I would have her out in the spring and I knew she believed every word I said. This was our farewell talk and to bid each other good-by, not knowing when we would meet again, if ever, and I saw her no more until she and her two little children arrived in St Louis about 12 o’clock on the 12th day of April, 1849. After seven weeks we arrived in New Orleans. Another man and I went to look around the city. We saw there was nothing there for us, so we went back to the ship. They were unloading (unloaded) our things and putting them on boats. I had my box put on the Grand Junk. I never saw or heard such before in my life, thundering, lightening, raining, men swearing and whistles blowing, it being about 12 O’clock noon. In the midst of it all, the old boat started and she quakes and shakes her way up the old Mississippi river, and we landed in St. Louis on the 6th of Nov. in the middle of the night. I had been short of money so I had pawned my Sunday coat for $3. to pay my fare up the river. This was Monday morning so I set out to find a job. I ask if someone would take my box and things but most of them did not know where they were going. I told them I would find them wherever they went, so one consented to take my things. I told them I was going off to find work and I was going to find it before I returned. I went through the streets, I saw a pork house. I went in and ask for work. They ask me several questions, I answered them and they told me to come to work next morning. I then went back and told the brethren I had found work. I had not been gone more than one hour. One of the men rented a house and I went to live with them. Later on I went to live with William Nixon, who kept store in Salt Lake in the early days. While telling the brethren I had found work, a man come on a boat and inquired for me, his name was William Cunnington, the father of John Cunnington, who used to keep store also. He asked me to his house that night. We talked over old times and had a very fine time. I told them I had pawned my Sunday coat to get fare to come up the river. Mrs. Cunnington went up stairs and returned with the money and told me to go get my coat, but I had to go to work the next day. They paid me one dollar then told me to come to work the following Monday. That gave me a better chance for I had time to find the man and get my coat and also help the man fix things in our new home and country. My Heavenly Father seemed to bless me in all my undertakings and he did bless men now, as all seemed right. But Henry B Radmall, you are (spelled your) in St. Louis now and your wife and little ones in England and you promised to get them out in the spring. Monday came, to work I went, tho very sick with the diarrhea, coming through the hot climate into a cold pork house and being up at night, pretty near used me up. Then my arms got large boils on them. That was worse than all as I had to lift the pork on a block and cut it up, then lift it away and so on all day long. I was kept at work until Christmas, then they stopped killing. It was then I got a job for William Nixen. This and the other job had kept my board clear and I had obtained a little more than half of the money to bring my family to St. Louis. I wrote to my wife and directed my letter to Bro Pratt, as I did not know just where my wife would be. He opened the letter and read. I told my wife I had a little more than half the money but would have it all by the time my letter reached her, but it would be to late to send to her to get her out in the spring, as I had promised so I did not know what to do. Before she could get the money the emigration to New Orleans would be over. Brother Pratt sent for my wife in a hurry as it was Sunday morning and he had to go to the meeting and wanted to see her first. She went, he gave her the letter and then ask her if she could get ready and go on board the ship Tuesday morning. She said she could so he told her to go on board the Zetland on the following Tuesday morning. Bro Pratt went to meeting, preached and told the congregation that there was a sister in Liverpool whose husband was in St. Louis and he wanted someone that was going to St. Louis to volunteer to pay her and the children’s passage and take her to her husband. He told them that if her husband did not pay them, he would. Bro. James Yenres that lived in Salt Lake City was the one that brought my wife and children to me. I paid him, and thanked him, and we had a good time together. I feel very thankful to Bro. Pratt to this day though he is dead and gone. When they got to St. Louis the cholera was very bad and as they come up the river Mississippi they burned forty five. My wife got to me on the 12 April, 1849. Soon after her arrival, the cholera walked into our house, my wife had it. It was hard to keep her alive. She did want to die, but with using the ordinances of the gospel such as laying on of hands and anointing with oil and other things, we saved her. Soon after the cholera laid hold of the oldest girl, I was sent for, and to bring the Doctor. I prayed that I might not get him for I did not want any Doctor, and my prayers were answered. My thoughts were now what will you do Mr. Radmall? It come to me what to do, which was go for the Elders, get a little of the best brandy, and a little laudanum, put a little in some brandy. Heat some water, put her in a hot bath, then wrap her in a blanket. While in the bath, her eyes seemed to rise up in her head. I believe they had gone down for death. She was then wrapped in the blanket and put to bed, and in a short time her whole body was in full perspiration for it was in her face like great drops of due. In a short time she was on the floor playing and was alright. In a short time the great fire took place and burned up thirty six steamboats, and one third of the town, then the cholera seemed to slack up a little, but broke out again and many died. It took two of our children during our stay in St. Louis. The last one we buried was playing in the street at 3 o’clock and died at 7 o’clock the same evening. Mrs. Radmall, my wife, had been sick almost all the time, we were trying to save money to come to Salt Lake City. We no sooner got a few dollars ahead, but some of the family was sick. In come the Doctor and out it went again, and I think it is no better here now. If any of the family has the belly ache, we sent for the Doc. And he comes with the yellow flag. Two dollars; serves us right shame on us, we as a people ought to know better. We ought to be like Job of old. Read in Chronicles 13, chapter 4th verse, also 16 chapter 12th verse of second chronicles, and see what that says. After all a good Doc. Is very good, among the people but hard to find and only makes a good bill. After all our ups and downs, we still tried to get to Salt Lake City. Whether in sickness, health, or death! That was our motto and we did accomplish our purpose. One of our good friends by the name of Daniel R Allen agreed to go in partnership with us in getting equipped for the journey,, so we left St. Louis may 2, 1853 in Daniel A Millers company. We sailed up the river to St. Joes. We come to a place they called Big Pigeon, where there was a big tabernacle that once belonged to the Saints. We stopped there three weeks. On the 6th of June, we made another move to the Missouri river and camped. In two or three days we crossed the river. We all fixed our wagons and started on our journey again. We had not gone far before Bro. Allen’s wagon broke and all the company went on and left us. We did not know what to do. We were left there exposed to the Indians and night coming on. Now all had left us. Bro. Allen felt it and so did I. He wanted to go back and asked me if I would go back with him. I told him I did not want to go back as I had left a good situation and I am going to see the elephant, as the saying goes. About dark some of the brethren came back after us and we got to the camp late that night. Next morning we come to the river, I think they called it Homo River. There we camped one week, then on to another river they called Elkhorn River where we camped that night. We started again next morning and had not gone far when I saw things were not quite right with my wagon. I no sooner got under my wagon than the team started and crack goes my leg. There I was, laid on the road in the dust, the good sisters fixed it up and in the wagon I had to go, then my wife and the other man’s wife that was with us had to be the drivers. The good folks that put the splinters on my leg ought to have wrapped some rag around my leg first, but they did the best they knew how. When they unwrapped my leg again, one of the splinters had worked into the flesh with the shake of the wagon and was almost buried. I had to pick it out. We had nothing in the camp that would cure it until another company come up. Dr. Johnson was in that company and he let me have some salve that soon cured it, but that’s not all. One morning another company comes along. In that company was an English Journalist by the name of Fred Pasey, who had some knowledge of medicines. He had heard about me so he come to my wagon and asked me if he might see my leg. He unwrapped my leg. It looked clean and nice now but my foot had turned over. He saw at once that it was set crooked. He said nothing but he got fast hold of my foot and gave one quick sharp twist and rebroke it then set it straight as it was possible for him to do. If I had known what he was about, I never should have let him get hold of my foot but when I understood, I felt to thank him and I thank him to this day. They held a long meeting but it was not a good time for me. Had I thought or they thought to put my foot up in a chair it would have been alright but as it was, I have had pain in it mor or less from that day to this. The reason was when my food hung down, the blood ran down in the foot and when I was put back in the wagon and my foot straight up, the blood ran to my heel and burnt as if it was put on the stove. Then it gathered and I had a bad foot but the train went jogging along and I with sorrow, trouble and pain, up the hills and down the dales until we landed in Salt Lake City. A little before arriving in Salt Lake valley one of our oxen died and we had to have a cow with the other oxen so the folks had to do the best they could, but they kept traveling on. At last I with the train awoke in Salt Lake City on 9 Sept, 1853, after I had been trying it for five years and five months. On arriving in Salt Lake I had but little left except some sugar which I traded to some of my friends for other provisions that helped us for awhile. I started the journey from Chesterfield England with my stick in my hand, bundle on my back and landed in Salt Lake on a pair of crutches. So, you see I gained property on the way. I was on my crutches for most of the winter with falling down and one thing and then another things seemed to go pretty hard. That was not all, winter at hand, snow on the ground, no wood to burn, Christmas a few days off and my wife expecting to be confined any day. The 23rd of Dec. 1853, Alma was born; one of Dr Richards’s wives attended my wife. Now I hardly knew what to do. We with but little in the house either to eat or wear and nothing to burn, yet all things seemed to go on right. When the last hope seemed almost gone, something always opened up and we got along again. I will mention one thing in this. When my wife had laid in nine days snow on the ground, the morning cold and nothing left to burn to warm us, as I had burned all the poles out of the fence which belonged to the man I had rented from. An old friend of mine came to help us. We lived near the old adobe yard. He took us to his place which was out by the warm Springs. We had to walk many blocks through the snow. Mother carried the baby and the man carried our1 ½ year old boy. I carried some things on my back and walked on my crutches and our little eight year old girl had to do the best she could. We had a hard time but the back seemed to fit the burden. Now I passed on with the winter. I gets some better and I could go with a stick. I got a little wagon and to Brigham Young’s canyon for us a little wood. I went one morning, Brigham Young met me and he said, “You going to the canyon like that.” I said, “Yes Sir! He said, “You are not fit to go there”, but I had to go. It seemed the back was made for the burden again. Now I had passed on. Winter breaks, spring puts in and the house I took at first we had to leave. The reason was this, I had leased it for a year and I had burnt the poles out of the fence. Now I took another house, I had to pay rent for two houses which was $8. per month. Spring here and the Fort Wall begins so. I get some work some small potatoes and a few vegetables. The lord blessed me with a good crop of everything I put in, so by the fall of fifty four, I was able pay my rent and replace the poles I had burnt from the fence which belonged to John Clegg. The other house belonged to a man by the name of John Thomas. I worked several places on the Fort Wall or where ever I was sent. One place I will mention was on the Egle (original spelling) yard or Bro Brigham Young’s yard. Then I got along very well. In the fall of fifty four I went to Springville. I made adobes and worked on the Fort Wall there. I helped to make ditches and mend fences. I made adobes for the meeting house and helped work on the meeting house also. I stood guard when they thought Johnstone’s (original Spelling) army was coming in anytime or whenever needed. I bought the first adove house that was built in Springville for twenty dollars and it was a house to. The adobes were about eighteen inches long and about six inches wide and about four inches thick as near as I could tell. I sold it and bought me an old log house and put that on my sixty acers. Then I bought me a yolk of cattle. Now clothing was very dear and that I had to get. Brother Brigham Young preached and said people should spin their own wool and keep a few sheep. So, I got a loom made in Springville by a man named Grant, the brother of Mathew Grant who had a little factory in very early days. I could not make a living with that so I sold it to bro. Mendenhold the head teacher in those days. Hard times, what with the grasshoppers and standing guard, digging ditches and making fort walls, building a meeting house, making roads in canyons. In fact everything to be done and but little to do with. We had very little to our backs, poor shoes to our feet and very few close (clothes) on out beds and very little grub in our bellies. All seemed to be in a confusion. Salt lake City vacated on the account of Johnston’s army coming in. The people come south or pretty much so. All on the south side of the point of the mountain was to do the best they could to make them comfortable as possible. We thought the army was coming to do away with us, for they had said as much. Our God inspired Bro. Brigham Young and he kept Mr. Johnstons and his army in the snow near the rocky ridge until they cooled off a little. When they did come into Salt Lake City, they come in cool and quiet and from there on to camp Floyd. A little later I went to camp Floyd and made a little money which helped us very much. I thought I would leave Springville and go to a place they call Gunnison and get some land and help build the town up. Although it seemed hard, I sold all I had to sell, then one of my oxen died so I had to buy another before I could go. We left Springville on the 1st of March 1861. I put in a little wheat and a few oats that spring. I reaped the oats and thrashed them. I then went to Salt Lake to get me some stuff to make a shirt or two. I had to ay one bw. Of oats a yard for it and it was as poor as me. I assure you, me and my son went back home and almost got froze to death. I now got some poles made some adobes and fenced in my wheat and hay field. One day while gathering the hay, I went to bring my rake from the wagon. I got it and was on my way back when a flash of lightening came behind me and sent me almost onr rod before I fell. I crawled under a coch (this is what I could read) of hay. I felt no pain, but something seemed to be running around in the top of my head. In a short time I felt all right and was able to be on my way again. On April 9, 1846, I left Gunnison and went to Pleasant Grove and have been there every since. I lived a little northeast of Plesant Grove City at the place they called the Big Springs. We lived there alone for some time, then we got one neighbor. One morning about 2 o’clock the Indians paid us a short visit. We were sleeping in the wagon box at the end of the house. My wife was not well that night and had to sit up in the wagon. Every now and then she heard the brush rattle, then two objects appeared. They crawled nearer and nearer. She whispered in my ear and said, “Henry, the Indians are on us.” I jumped as if I had been shot. The thought come to me to call the dog. I did so and soon he was there and they had to move fquick. He followed them inn the corn as it was good height then. I had to call the dog back as I was afraid they would shoot him with their arrows. One day later there was four or five old Indians come up to our house and they appeared very mad, especially one of them. He wanted bread and butter. I told them they could not have bread and butter because we had no butter. I then told one of the girls to cut them some bread. The honery (ornery) one went down to the spring which was below the house in them days. He pulled out his bow and his arrows. I then thought he intended to shoot me. The thought struck me that I should go down to him. I went to him, sit down with him and talked to him. I knew how talk a little Indian language. Then the rest of them came to us and formed a ring. One of them loaded the pipe of peace and they smoked and I smoked it and then handed it to my opponent. He smoked too so then we were all good fellows together. Now the bad one got up and swore in good Inglish and said he was going to get some corn as corn was in the ear then. I told him to go get some but not to get to much as it belonged to a poor man. All he got was eight ears. One of them then pulled a paper out of his pocket and ask me to read it for him. I looked it over and saw is said that there was four or five Indians passing through the country with some horses, going to camp Douglas, supposed stolen horses. (he repeats this line in the original text) Then I dare not tell them what it said. I told them that I was a very poor reader and that he better go to the bishop and let him read it for them, but not so. They soon began to pack up and went off and I was glad to get rid of them. One other time, there was a few Indians hidden in the spring and I knew they were mad. I did not know what might happen that night but all went well and they went off early in the morning. I assure you my gun was loaded for a bit if needed. Is that all, no, after all this my son Sam began having a pain in his leg and what to do with him we did not know for we could not see anything wrong. We took him to the Dr. in American Fork and he could not see anything but a small red spot. He told us what to do, which was to begin and poultice it with bran poultices and in a little while it would break out. We did so and it did brake out. Then the Dr. came and he found out that the bone was decaying. What to do next we did not know. He said he was too week to have his leg taken off as he would die, so he said, “Now Mr Radmall best thing to be done is, you must get him some port wine and feed him with eggs and everything you can get to strengthen him, but nothing gave him any strength. His pain took all his strength away. I went and borrowed twenty bushels of oats of Bro Robinson and off to Salt Lake City I goes to get a few things that we needed. One thing was a bed pan at Walker Bros. only $7. Then to the drug store for one gallon of port wine only $14, but I got in for $13. It took the oats and all I had. I then returned home and gave him a little at a time, as the Doc. Told us. We gave him eggs and all we could to do him good but all to no use, for the weaker he got. At last the Doc said to me, “The boy will soon die if his leg isn’t taker off and perhaps he will die anyway. He is so weak; he may die under the knife. I will not take his leg off unless all of you are willing I should do so.” He ask us if we wer willing and if he was willing that he should take off his leg and the answer was, “Yes, I would rather have them both off than to suffer as I do!” Now the Doctors’ tools are laid out before him but Sam seems undwanted (I think he means undaunted). Bishop Brown was there, also Bishop Harrington of American Fork. Now the business begins. It took so much chloroform to put him to sleep that it almost put the rest to sleep first. Bishop Brown had to get out or he would have been to sleep with Sam. Whether he cut the second time, I am not sure, at any rate he was below the wound and the arteries were so rotten that he could not tie them but he did the best he knew how. Then all was done and he and the rest of the men went off and left me and my wife and Mrs Bush to put him to bed. We had a job to because he was just coming out of the chloroform and he was like a mad man. We dare not handle him like we would each other, but we got him in bed at last. We then had to treat him as we had done before, with morphine. All seemed to be going on alright until the third morning, on comes the Doc. Sam sits up in bed and seems as lively as a cricket. The Doc seemed pleased, he sets on the bed and so did I to see how things was but alas I knew in a moment for the blood brake was off and Gangreene (sp original, meaning there) was there. I knew that mortification had set in. The Doc did not say much, neither did I but I thought he was sure to die. The Doc talked to his mother and me and told us to give him all he wanted to eat, get some charcoal and pound it fine and mix that into a police and put one on in the morning and one at night and notice im closely. He thought perhaps new flesh might come on and told us how it would appear. In time it did appear as he had said it would. The new flesh put in around the thigh bone and then a piece of the old thigh rotted on the bone so I, his father, H. B. Radmall, had to cut it off myself and then the bare bone stuck out about five inches. As the flesh grew, the bone rotted and then the Doc had to come and cut the old bone out of the new flesh. After this he had to come again and bring another man with him and a pair of sharp pinchers to cut off the sharp ends of the bone. He seemed as if he was tired of the job now, and wanted to get out of it. I ask him how much he would charge me for his work and he said one hundred dollars. In a little while he took a change for the better. Mother was baking some pan cakes and he ask her to gibe him one, she did so expecting he would die while eating it but he asked for another and then another and so on until they become unnumbered. She kept watching him but everything seemed to be alright. While he was so sick, he said he could not stay with us any longer so he got us all around, gave all his little things to the rest of the children. When he had done this he ask me if my gun was loaded. I told him no, so he ask me to put a cap in it and let him have a crack. I did so. I held the gun and he fired it off and then laid down and lived again. He did the same thing the second time, got us all around him and told us he must die as he could not stay with us any longer. We were watching him but in a few seconds he ask me if the gun was loaded. I told him no and he said, “Put on a cap and let me have a crack.” I did so and held the gun and he fired it again. I ask him if he saw anything that he wanted to shoot at or kill. He said, “no”. Then why do you want to shoot? The answer was, “My heart stops beating and when I crack the cap off, my heart beats again and I live again. What spirit put that into his head I cannot tell. That was in 1864 and he was just twelve years old. Now on comes Black Hawk war. We had to pack up and go down town, Bro. Brown sent Bro. Wooley to tell us to come as the Indians had got in Spanish Fork canyon. We bundled up quick as possible and he brought us down to Pleasant Grove. Where we were going to stay I did not know, but Bro and Sister Will Bush took us in. When we got there, my wife was very sick and I thought she would die. Henry and Caroline got the Typhoid Fever and we had to have the Doc again. That was hard for the people we lived with and for us too. Yet, though things went hard, I believe it was all for our own good. If I could have always thought that! When I had my Patriarchal blessing Bro. Cotton told me that I had gone through a great deal but my last days would be my best days and they have been so for a few years past. How long my last days may be I can not tell but this I know, that I am growing old as I shall be eighty eight in two months if I live and this is my testimony. After all these hard times, such as we have had, I feel my Heavenly Father has blest me and all this has been for my own good and I feel his kind protecting care over me and I feel thankful for all his blessings though he had to use the rod it was for my own good and I know it. He, like our earthly parents, had to use the rod sometimes. Now I think I’ll quit writing soon as it is written bad and spelled bad, and the cart before the horse is like the ladies crazy quilt, is I am far stricken in years and shall soon have to pass away. There is one thing more I wish to say gefore I go and perhaps more. The first is: That I know that the Gospel which I believe in is the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. That is what Bro. Joseph was taught to preach to the people in these latter days. Now I wish my family would stop and think before they further go and not start upon the brink of everlasting woe. ONE YEAR LATER I have tried many times to write a history of my life or a narrative or whatever you have a mind to call it. I have tried before but have been a bad speller so I gave it up and thought I would never wright again. Last night as I lay in bed something seemed to say, “Wright again”, so I will try whether I make mistakes or not as I am getting old I Henry B. Radmall am in my eighty ninth (89th) year of age. I was born April 23 in the year 1814 and in the town of Retford Nottinghamshire, England. I have lived in six generations, seen them and been with them. They are Grandfather and Grandmother Radmall, Grandfather & Grandmother Steadman, this is two in one generation. In my fathers & mothers day. Third is two generations and my days makes three generations, our children’s days makes four Generations and our grandchildren make five and our Great Grandchildren make six generations. My memory is good, yet of the happenings in my childhood days. I can remember some things that happened before my father’s death. I was but two years and nine months old when he died and my mother was left a widow with three of us, two boys and one girl. I remember going to my father’s funeral. I remember when peace was proclaimed betwixt the French and the English. The death of old King George the 3rd. Then King George the 4th days, King Williams day. When the reform bill was passed and suing queen Victoria in her youth and her mother, and the Duke of Devonshire in their carriage, and when she was crowned. Now her son’s on the throne I suppose, but what care I for that, this is only to show my recollection in my young days. There are many more also that I remember. Now I pass on and tell a little more about some of the happenings while living in Pleasant Grove. One time one of my cows was billed by the Indians and while my boy Sam was sick with his leg. Two different times we had to sell a cow to pay for medicine, doctor bills and so on. Many times we had nothing to eat abut rose leaf tea and bread. We buried our son Daniel while living up at the Big Springs also. What with sickness and death and one thing and then another, we got along as well as the rest of the poor folks. One other thing I will tell. I think it was christmass (sp) eve in the year 1864. I was all but froze to death. It was a terriable (sp) cold night. The same night that John Singleton of American Fork froze to death near Lehi. My oldest son was sick in bed at the time. I had been to town; on my way back I called in to Bushes and they gave me two or three apples which I put in my pockeds (Sp) to give to the children. I started home and a very bad blizzard came up. I could not see my hand before me so I lost my way. I remember falling into a gulch or wash and knowing I was up around the mouth of Grove Creek Canyon. It happened that Sam Parks was coming out of the canyon with a load of wood. It was storming so hard that he turned his oxen loose and was following them. As he walked along he stumbled over me. He being a big man and I a small man, he picked me up and walked me and partly carried me down to Iversons, which was the first house we came to in them days. It happened that Mrs Iverson had brought in a lot of brush and had almost half filled the room, so they kept a big fire all night. John Long and Dick Simpson was there when Sam Parks brought me in, Mrs Iverson had a bottle of Whisky there that she had bought for sickness. They poured it down me, then they walked me up and down the floor all night long so I should not fall asleep. I would have just gave anything if they would have left me alone. I didn’t seem to care what happened if they would only let me lay down and go to sleep. I am glad now that they did not let me have my way for they saved my life. To show you how cold it was, I will tell you that the apples I had in my pockets for the children was froze hard as rocks in my pockets. I moved from the Big Springs and built a rock house farther west. Then I buried my wife Caroline, which was a very sever trial. She died 21 Nov 1883. Later I married Mary Hultberg. Related Experiences Henry B Radmall possessed a remarkable memory and we all liked to listen to him relate his experiences. This he did in his quaint old English, which made it more interesting than ever. In addition to the experiences related in his autobiography are a few more which he failed to mention. These may well be added to those already recorded Shortly after arriving in St. Louis, he secured employment in a flower mill. His fellow workers jeered and taunted him because he was a Mormon. He endured it as long as he could, then one day he truned on his tormentors and in definite terms assured them that he was not ashamed of being a mormon. The taunting continued until the boss chanced to over hear them. Turning to the men he said, “Leave this man alone or I will take care of all of you, Mormon or not he is one of the most dependable men I have on the works”. He had many interesting experiences with the Indians while living up at the Big Springs. At this time the Indians were very troublesome but he always chose to feed rather than fight them. It was customary for the Indians to camp and feed their horses at his place when passing through the country. On one occasion a number of Indians came and turned their horses on a patch of grass belonging to him and a neighbor, A. W. Sanders, who was a brother in law. Sanders resented it and told the Indians so. They merely grunted and walked away. Later on they came to Grandfathers and inquired as the ownership of the two nearby fields of corn and potatoes. They were told to whom they belonged. The next morning when grandfather arose, the Indians had gone. As he looked out over the field, he saw Indian vengeance. The neighbors corn stalks had been stripped of the ears and the potatoes vines were uprooted while his stood intact. Whenever the Indians on their trips northward asked permission to leave their unnecessary baggage, which they often did, he always put in carefully away for them until they returned. For this kindness, they often presented him with venison and upon one occasion he was given a quarter of a beef which he learned had been given to the Indians by the Bishop of Willow creek (Draper). The Indians never forgot a kindness. His esthetic nature was reflected in his love for flowers. During his declining years, his flower garden was one of his chief joys. He shared this love for flowers with others by presenting bouquets to anyone who chanced to visit him. Whenever any children come to his home, he always had a little candy or something nice, even if it was only a piece of lump sugar for them. You can bet the grandchildren all liked to go there. Grandfather looked upon life through the eyes of a poet and optimist. He frequently voiced his thoughts in poetical measures which he seldom bothered to write down. Henry B. Radmall was a faithful Latter Day Saint to the end and bore a strong testimony up to the very last. His firm and abounding faith, which, coupled with a philosophy tinctured with hope and optimism enabled him to go through a life of trial and hardship and still remain unspoiled and un-embittered. This attitude was reflected by an observation made while being taken to the old Folks Party at the Minilo Ward Chapel. It was a cold rainy day and the driver remarked that it was unfortunate to hold the celebration on such an unpleasant day. Grandfather’s reply was the cheery comment, “Well I’ve lived Ninety Two years and I’ve never seen a rainstorm yet but what the sun shone often”. He died on the 8th of July, 1908 at the age of ninety four years. Although his death was preceded by an illness which kept him bedfast for about six months, his mental acutness remained undiminished until his death. He retained his physical vigor until his final illness. Up to this time he was accustomed to walk to town once or twice a week, a distance of about two miles, to do his shopping. On these trips he nearly always called on some of his friends and neighbors. He was the father of fifteen children eight of whom reached maturity. The families have increased until his descendents now number hundreds and include his great great grandchildren. His was a life of courage and steadfast devotion to the course which he espoused. He faced life and its misfortunes with squared shoulders and death came at the end of a race well ran.

Caroline Severn

Contributor: Richard Green Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Biography of Caroline Severn Caroline Severn was born 28 Sept 1825 at Chesterfield Derbyshire, England, the daughter of James and Elizabeth McDermott Severn. When she was about eighteen years of age, she met Henry B. Radmall, whom she married 22 July 1844 in the Independence chapel, Chesterfield Derbyshire, Eng. They resided in Chesterfield for about three years. During this time they kept a store whereby they made a livelihood. Shortly after her marriage, she was stricken with Typhoid fever. She had hardly recovered from this, when pleurisy and then rheumatic fever set in. She was scarcely able to move and her condition became very serious. It was while in this condition that she gave birth to her first child, Elizabeth Ann. After that she gradually regained her health. In the year 1846, the Mormon Elders, Brigham Young and John Taylor came to Chesterfield preaching the Gospel. Her father, mother and sister accepted the Gospel message and were soon baptized, about 21 Oct 1846. At first her husband was very bitter toward the church and the elders, but through providence he was converted. Their little one year old daughter’s eyes became afflicted and it was thought she would be blind for life. Through the mother’s faith, she took the child to church and had the elders bless her and her eyesight was completely restored. Her husband on seeing that his child had been healed began going to church and was baptized 25 Apr 1847. After they joined the church the customers began leaving their store so they decided it was best to close out. She now began to see what sacrifices she would be called to make in order to live her religion. The Spirit of gathering came upon them and they began making arrangements to go to zion. She little knew how many trials she would have to endure before arriving in Zion. How much courage it world take to leave a comfortable home and take a long and tedious journey to a foreign land. How she would have to face with courage, sickness and the loss of several of her loved ones. How she would travel a thousand miles across a trackless plain and would have to bear the toil, the exposure and the privations encountered in pioneering a dry and barren country. She possessed a high degree of courage, patience and pluck. She also learned to trust in the Lord and it was wonderful how the way was opened up, miraculously at times, that her family might have the necessities of life. She left Chesterfield and went to Liverpool where she expected to stay with her parents until her husband could close out their business and join her. She found her family in very poor circumstances, her father having just died. A few weeks later her brother became ill and died, then her second child William Henery, now about one year old died 26 Aug, 1884. By this time most of their savings had been spent for rents, food, sickness and death. This left only enough money for one passage so her husband left for America on the ship Erins Queen, 7 Sept. 1848. She was now left alone with practically nothing to live on. She put her trust in the Lord and it was a marvel how the way was opened up that she might be cared for and a way be made possible for her to go to her husband in America. On Dec 15, 1848, her third child Sarah was born. Caroline now began to look forward to joining her husband in America by spring. Henry B. Radmall, unable to make the necessary money in time to send for his wife to sail with the spring emigration, as he had planned, wrote to her stating that by the time she received his letter he would have the necessary money to bring her to him. Before he could get it to her, the season for emigration would be over until fall. He addressed his letter to Bro Orson Pratt, then president of the mission. Brother Pratt read the letter then called for someone to volunteer to pay the passage of Caroline Radmall and children to America. Brother James Yeures responded to the call and paid their way to St. Louis, Missouri. On 29 Jan, 1849, she with her two small children boarded the ship Zetland and sailed with a company of saints for America after spending ten weeks at se she arrived in New Orleans about the first of April. From there she took passage on a steam boat up the Mississippi river to St Louis where they joined her husband, Henry B. Radmall, being very grateful to Brother Yeures for his kindness in bringing his family to him, pad back the money immediately. Here she began to see strange sights and peculiar customs of the new land and to suffer some disappointments. While sailing up the Mississippi river to St. Louis, the Cholera broke out and forty fine people died in five days. Shortly after arriving in St. Louis, she became afflicted wit this dread disease and for the second time her life was greatly despaired of. It seemed her life was to be spared for a purpose. The Elders were sent for, they blessed her and she recovered. She was called on to bear a great many trials and much sickness during her four years stay in St Louis. Before she had completely recovered from the cholera, her oldest daughter, Elizabeth Ann, had taken the cholera and it was thought that she was dying. The Elders were called. They administered to the child and she was healed and was playing on the floor in a short time. This was the second time this child had almost instantly been healed through their faith in the ordinances of the Gospel. She lived to the age of 58 years and was the mother of thirteen children. About one year later, her third child, Sarah, took the cholera and died 28 June, 1850. Once more they were to experience the terribleness of this dreaded disease, for their fourth child, Emale Gee, was stricken down with cholera. She was playing on the street at three o’clock in the afternoon and dead the same evening at seven. In spite of their experiences of sickness and death, they had managed to save enough money to start their journey to Salt Lake City. They had not gone far when her husband got his leg broken, so most of the burden waas on her for the remainder of the journey. When the wagon train was yet quite a few miles from Salt Lake, one of their oxen died and she was forced to get a cow to drive with the other ox for the remainder of the journey. They arrived in Salt Lake City 9 Sept. 1853, on the 23rd of December that year her son Alma was born. They had very little to eat at this time and were out of fuel so a friend invited them to come to his home for awhile. While the baby was only 9 days old and her husband was still on crutches, they walked eleven blocks through eighteen inches of snow, she carrying the baby all the way. After living in Salt Lake City about a year, they moved to Springville, then to Gunnison and from there to Pleasant Grove, Utah where they lived until her death. She endured the hardships of pioneer life patiently and uncomplainingly. St the time the crickets threatened to devour their entire crops she gleaned the fields to get bread stuff for her family. She was a devoted Latter Day Saint and a minute woman to the very last. She was very skillful as a nurse and no night was too dark, no road too long that she made any excuse about going. Her services were given for free, her main desire being to bring cheer and happiness where she ministered. She was the mother of thirteen children.

Life timeline of H B Radmall

H B Radmall was born on 23 Apr 1814
H B Radmall was 12 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
H B Radmall was 18 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
H B Radmall was 26 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
H B Radmall was 45 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
H B Radmall was 47 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
H B Radmall was 61 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
H B Radmall was 73 years old when Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show opens in London. William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody was an American scout, bison hunter, and showman. He was born in Le Claire, Iowa Territory, but he lived for several years in his father's hometown in Toronto Township, Ontario, Canada, before the family returned to the Midwest and settled in the Kansas Territory.
H B Radmall was 80 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
H B Radmall died on 9 Jul 1908 at the age of 94
Grave record for H B Radmall (23 Apr 1814 - 9 Jul 1908), BillionGraves Record 546005 Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States