Geraldine Hone

6 May 1927 - 30 Apr 2005

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Geraldine Hone

6 May 1927 - 30 Apr 2005
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Geraldine Hone (6 May 1927 - 30 Apr 2005) at Benjamin Cemetery in Benjamin, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Geraldine Hone
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Geraldine Hone


Benjamin Cemetery

8435 S 3200 W
Benjamin, Utah, Utah
United States


June 5, 2011


June 1, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Geraldine...

We found more records about Geraldine Hone.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Geraldine


Geraldine Hone is buried in the Benjamin Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Thomas Reed Talbot

Contributor: crex Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

LIFE STORY OF THOMAS REED TALBOT Written by Glenda Talbot Wulfenstein I, Thomas Reed Talbot, was born June 16, 1901, at Hinckley, Millard County, Utah, on a Sunday morning just as the sun came up. I was born on our farm about a mile East of Hinckley. About a year later, we moved into town. I was blessed at the Hinckley Ward in July 1901 by George A. Black. I was the third child of a family of 13 children. My father was Arthur James Talbot and my Mother was Clara Elizabeth Theobald. When I was about one and one-half years old, I attended conference in Deseret and was there exposed to the measles. I came down with the measles and was a trial to my mother. She would put me to bed and then go about her work. Then I would promptly get up. She would put me to bed again and so it went. I remember going over to the neighbors and playing with Harvey Pack. We would drowned out quimps. Then we would build dirt corrals to put them in. We would play that the quimps were cattle and really had fun. One of my jobs when I was five years old was to milk cows. It was a big job for a little boy. Once when I was about five years old, Father took me to the hills to get wood. He left me with the wagon. I was startled to see a fearsome animal running around close by so I began to cry. I cried until Father came to see what was the matter. I later found out that this awful creature was just a chipmunk. When I was 6 years old I started school in Hinckley. My first teacher was Mrs. Gardner. We went to school in a little one room lumber building which was a mile from home on the South end of town across from the "old mud temple, an adobe meeting house. It was so far to school that we entertained ourselves going back and forth. We would get a willow and then a ball of the old stiff mud and stick it on the end of a stick and then flip it. We had "mud dobber" fights all the way. However we always got to school on time. While we were going to school once, my brother Loren, who went to school at the "Old Mud Temple" which was also a church, had got in trouble with the principal and was put outside school. I was really worried and wondered what was going to happen but he was okay and got by. I don't know what he did. During the summer we would take the cows to pasture about a mile East of Hinckley every morning and go to get them in the evening. Father would tell us to hurry home. We would go swimming in the canal that ran through the pasture and forget to go home. Father would be angry with us. Once when we were herding cows, a cousin got some Tobacco of his granddads and gave each of us a chew. Not knowing what it was we all chewed it up and swallowed some. It burned all the way down so we drank some of the dirty canal water where we went swimming. When we got home we were all sick to our stomachs, but none of us would tell our parents the cause until years later. I always liked to go to my Grandmother Theobald's home. Grandfather Theobald had been a rancher but had died before I was born so I never knew him. Grandmother was quite strict but she loved us. She had a black currant patch that was her pride and joy, and was fenced and locked to keep out animals and kids. She would tell us that if we did a little job for her she would let us in the currant patch to eat our fill. That was really a treat. We would work our heads off and then get to eat the currants. In September of 1908 we moved to Oak City. We bought land from grandfather, Thomas Benjamin Talbot, for whom I was named. He always said I was not really named for him because I didn't have his whole name. My brother and I aged 7 and 9 rode the horses and drove the livestock the 20 miles to Oak City. We stopped at 10 mile and ate lunch. Then Father went on with the wagon and left us to bring the stock. It was a long ride on horseback. I don't know how the horse felt, but I got tired and sore. It got dark on us and we got nervous out there in a strange land, but we continued on. Finally Father came back to help us. It sure was a welcome sight to see him. He unhooked the horses and got one and came to help us. He said he thought we might need help. He was a kind and considerate father. When we got situated and after living in a little log house for some time, it got tiresome and Father decided to build a new brick home. Here I learned many new things and what it took to build a home. Father hauled brick from the neighboring town and we made the adobes ourselves. We had an old mud mill, they called it, and it had a sweep on it which we hooked a horse to. The horse went around in a circle and turned the mill that mixed the mud. Then we put it in little forms built of wood the size of brick and smoothed it off and let them dry. We used them on the inside of the brick for insulation and also for strength for the brick. My brother and I were to unload them from the wagon and stack them where they could be used by the masons. My brother got in the wagon and pitched them two at a time to me. I would catch them and put them in a pile. When we got to the upper storage, he would pitch them up to me up several yards and I would catch them. We got quite good at that before we got through. We also smoothed off the mortar that was put between the bricks to hold them together. It was a long hard task by the time we helped put the lathe on so it could be plastered. My second year of school was spent in Oak City. My teacher was Ethel Barton. She was very strict and for punishment she would make us stand on one foot in the corner and hold out one hand. Then she would stack books on it as long as you smiled, then make you stand in the corner on one leg. We had to stand that way for quite a while and it was a big stack of books. I was fortunate in that I only had to experience this once. If you did something she didn't like, she would take a foot ruler and make you hold out your hand and then hit the ruler across the back of the hand with it. The teachers had a lot of freedom to the things they thought best. They taught reading, writing, and arithmetic, taught to the tune of the hickory stick. Our school was held in the old church with a bell tower on top. The bell would always ring one-half hour before time to go in to classes. You could hear it all over town. (They also used the bell to announce church meetings.) Then when time came to go in to school, they had a little hand bell to call the children together. We all lined up outside in our separate classes. Then we marched in our respective rooms. The church was divided by a drop that pulled down to divide it. We had three classes in each of those rooms and the others were held in the Relief Society room. One teacher taught us sewing, how to mend socks, sew on buttons, and all of the minor things. When I was eight years old I was baptized in a creek in the South part of Oak City by Mason Elden Anderson. On this same day I was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by John Lee Anderson. When I was about eight years old I went with my brother Loren who was about 10 years old, out to Fool Creek Flat sever miles north of town, to get a horse that we had pasturing out there. The colt wouldn't lead very good. On the way in, Loren was leading it and when it wouldn't go, I would ride up and switch him. I guess he didn't like it so the horse kicked me in the forehead tearing loose a hoof shaped part of my scalp. It was a bad gash and blood trickled down my face. Loren told me I had better get on home and get it taken care of but I knew that Loren couldn't get the colt home alone. I cleaned the wound up the best I could and help him get the colt home. When we got home my parents called a midwife to come because there was not a doctor close by. She came and washed and cleaned the wound, and was going to sew it up but could see my skull was fractured so didn't know what to do. My folks set out to the doctor with me in the buggy to the town of Deseret twenty miles away. It was quite late when we arrived at the doctors. He said if they gave me a sedative to put me to sleep it would take quite a while, but if my Father could hold me down while he sewed it up, it wouldn't take too long. So that is what they did. I don't think I gave them too much trouble and they soon got the job done. I still have a hoof-shaped scar on my forehead. Horses must of had it in for me because another time I was feeding an orphan colt some grain and suppose one of the others didn't like to be left out so she came up behind me and kicked me on the back of the head. It wasn't too serious, but I still have the scar and memory. Another time my brother and I were on the same horse and taking the others out to pasture and I guess they didn't want to go so one of them came after the one we were riding. My brother turned the horse to get away from her so not to get kicked. The turn brought me right in line for kick. He got me on the head just above the ear. One time I lost my two front teeth. Once when I was older I was cutting posts I split my ankle with an ax. I was several miles from home and bled badly but it healed okay. My life was spared when I was eight or nine years old. My Father took my brother, Loren, and me up dry creek canyon to get hay poles. We left Oak City early in the morning with a team hitched to a wagon with only reach and wheel so we could lengthen the wagon to put the poles on. We started for the canyon which was quite an exciting experience. After about two hours travel we reached the place where we were to leave the wagon. It was an old lumber mill which wasn't used any more. My father unhitched the horses and was ready to go up and cut the poles and hitch one horse to each pole and drag them down the mountain and to the wagon. But before he left, he gave us instructions to be careful and to spend the time there at the mill until he returned. So he left and my brother and I started to explore the old building to find something to amuse us with, and after some time we found a box of what we thought was rolls of sawdust. The thought came to us we could have a battle of sawdust, so started to throw it at each other. After quite a battle our eyes started to burn so we decided we would leave the few sticks that were not thrown and do something to relieve the burning in our eyes. We went to the water to wash them. After several hours Father returned with the poles and we had lunch and while eating, we told him of our experience and he was quite concerned. He asked us to show him where we had got the sawdust, so we took him to the box behind the building. It was covered with a board. He removed the board and then saw the few sticks that were left. He looked at us and said "Don't you know what that is?" We informed him we didn't so he said one of those sticks could have killed both of us and said the sticks were dynamite, a very powerful explosive. He seemed to be quite concerned about it. Now I can see why, after using a lot of it during my life and seeing how powerful it was. We loaded the poles, separating the wheels about 20 feet apart and using the poles to connect the front wheels to the back ones, binding them with chains. Then we got onto the top of the poles and started for home which was quite late in the evening. It took a couple of hours going home and at the supper table our experience was discussed at quite length. My Mother was quite shocked at the experience but was thankful the Lord had protected us from the disaster that could have happened. I am alive today and still feel blessed that my life was spared at that time with my brother. Once Loren and I followed a herd of sheep that were driven through town. We had hoped to find a stray or two to take home. Often the herders would leave weak animals along the way. We followed them farther than we had planned. We didn't find any stray sheep so finally turned back, but arrived home after dark with our chores undone. Father was angry and while Loren was receiving a spanking, I hurried to milk the cows and do the chores. Somehow I avoided the spanking I should have had. I felt bad that I had disappointed my Father. Father loved to hunt and fish and often would say if we would hurry and weed the potatoes or corn, or hay hauled or whatever we had to do finished, he would take us fishing. So we would hurry and get it done, hitch the team on the buggy and off we went to the canyon. We would get a willow and a line with a hook on it and a can of worms and we were ready to go and start fishing. There was not any limit on fish, so we could take all we could catch, sometimes fifty or more, and sometimes not so many. But in those days there were only a few people who fished. When we were young, Father hitched up the horses on the old white topped buggy and we would go to the canyon fishing the night before the season opened. We made our bed beside the creek and I would lay awake waiting for morning so I could get the hook in the water. It was one of the most exciting days of the year. I can remember having our bed so near the stream we could listen to the water all night. It surely did sound good. We always had to watch out for rattle snakes which were quite plentiful along the creek, and I almost stepped on them many times. We used to raise a lot of potatoes and put them in the cellar till we could sell them. One year we got the cellar full and closed it up not to be opened until spring. We had rabbits and one of them disappeared in the Fall. When we opened the cellar in the Spring, there she was fat and happy. She had lived on potatoes all winter. I liked to spend time with my grandparents Talbot. They had come from South Africa to Utah and they had lots of stories to tell. Grandfather could speak several languages including Danish, Swedish, English, Africans, and Dutch with some other dialects. Grandfather taught us little phrases that we could say in some of these languages. I just wish I could remember the stories that he told about their life in South Africa. I always admired their home because it was always neat and had pretty flower gardens. They were very frugal people but very friendly with people and liked to socialize. I especially remember Grandfather Talbot telling me that the Talbot name was without a stain and to keep it that way. One day I was down Grandmother Talbot's house and she asked me if I was hungry. I was bashful but said I was hungry. She fixed lunch for me, which was a dish of tomatoes. I started to eat and there was a worm in it. I couldn't eat the tomatoes. I didn't tell her about the worm but just that I guess I wasn't hungry or had eaten enough. Grandma was a very clean person and would have been upset about the worm in the tomatoes. I remember after Grandmother passed away the family was sorting out all their household goods. When they opened a trunk they found many beautiful pieces of handwork; pillowcases, scarfs, and ect., that Grandmother had saved to be used for "sometime special". She loved beautiful things. On November 30, 1913, I was ordained a Deacon. On this day also, I was set apart as Secretary of the Deacons Quorum. One of my duties as a Deacon was to cut wood for the widows and the sick. Another of our responsibilities was to collect the tithing which was often in produce and other goods. One time I had to pick up a sack of flour. It got really heavy on my rounds so I set it on top of a fence, planning to pick it up on my way back from my route. When I came back I found that a horse had broke open the sack and eaten much of it. I had to tell the Bishop what had happened. I told him I would be more responsible from then on. I was ordained a Teacher on August 18, 1918. I was a Counselor in the Teachers Quorum Presidency. When just kids we would flood the Jack Hill East of town and it would freeze. Then we would coast down it on anything that we could get hold of. We used cardboard, lids and other things. We could coast for about two blocks. When I was in seventh grade we moved into a new school building, our class room faced the street, and I remember sitting in school and hearing something going up the street that was not a common sound. We all went to the window and saw a horseless buggy going down the street. It was the first car to come into Oak City going up the street. It was really a sight to see a vehicle going up the street on its own power. My father had a molasses mill and we would grind cane all night, then in the morning we would strain the juice and make molasses. At times quite a lot of children would come to watch and they would play games. There was a pumis pile. Two of the boys would get atop the pile and they were the "Boss of Bunker Hill", and the others would try to get them off. If they did, they would go on and they were the boss. When the molasses was done and put in cans, they would all have a stick or spoon, or a piece of cane and would scrape the molasses that was left and cook it into candy. It was an exciting time. One evening we went downtown and heard some of the boys talking. They planned on getting together and come and get molasses out of the cans. So we got together and went up by the mill and hid. When the boys came and started to open the cans we started throwing rocks at them which we had gathered beforehand. When the rocks started falling around them, they started to leave very fast. There was a green skimmings place where all the green skimmings were taken off the vat and put into this hole. One of the boys fell into that. We didn't have any more trouble with them after that. When we wanted to go swimming we had to go four or five miles and we only had one horse for four of us. So two of us would get on the horse and ride for quite a distance out the road, then tie the horse to the fence, and we would start walking. The other two would start walking from the beginning and when they came to the horse, they would ride him a distance beyond us then tie him again. And when we came to the horse we would ride on beyond them. We did this all the way to Fool Creek Sinks and back. In all about nine miles. This is called "ride and tie". Most every Saturday evening. we would get a team of horses and hitch them to a wagon with a wagon box on. Then we would drive around town and collect all the boys and girls that wanted to go. We would drive to the canal or Sinks and all go swimming. It was much better than a No. 3 wash tub. On the way home we sang all the songs we knew, sometimes more. Then when we arrived home we would have a chicken roast or a candy pull or some other fun time. If we wanted a dance, we would go to the town dance manager and express our thoughts and we had a dance. Sometimes we would want to go to the other towns for dances, so we would hitch a team to a buggy and gather a load and drive to the other town and dance until midnight, then get back to the buggy and on our way home. It did get quite cold at times during the Christmas holidays, so we had blankets and hot bricks to keep us warm. We had lots of Rook parties and had homemade ice cream. In the winter, we hitched a team to a sleigh, took our girlfriends and had a nice ride. Sometimes there was more than one sleigh so we did a little fast riding to see who had the fastest horses. Most of the time it was our buggy or horseback we went on as cars were scarce, but we would ride up the canyon and enjoy the scenery. One Sunday afternoon some girls were carrying an Ice Cream freezer and it was too heavy for them, so they asked us to carry it. We said we would if they would give us some of the ice cream. They accepted and we took the freezer to where they wanted it. When the ice cream was done we went to get our pay. They said they were just fooling and wouldn't give us any. We waited until they went into the other room where they were playing cards, then we went in the back door. The freezer was setting in a pan to catch the water as the ice melted. Two of the boys took the freezer and it tipped the water on the floor. It made quite a racket, but by the time the girls got there the boys had taken the can out of the freezer and we were all long gone. We took it to one of the boys place and ate all we could hold, then took the freezer back to them. One of the boys was caught and fined five dollars. There were five of us so that wasn't so bad. My friends and I liked to do things together in the evening. One night we decided to have a chicken roast. We told one of the guys to get the fire going and the rest of us would get the chickens to cook. We got the chickens from his place and he didn't find out until the next day. We all had a good laugh. Another time, it was Halloween and it was customary for us to play pranks on people. We went to a farm yard and took the man's wagon all apart and then put it together again up on top of his barn. We got it back down again for him later. One Sunday I got our Ford and two other couples with Irene and I. We went to the town of Fillmore about 50 miles away. I was driving and got up to 35 miles per hour and about frightened them all. When we were small we were always hungry when we came home from school, and wanted to get something to eat. But our wise Mother always told us to wait until our chores were done. So we would go down the cellar, which was always full of potatoes, and fill our pockets and head for the creek where there was plenty of wood, build a fire and put the potatoes in the fire and start our work. In a short time the potatoes were done or most of them, and we peeled the black off and inside was delicious, even those that were not too well done tasted very good. We usually were still hungry for supper anyway. In the winter we would walk about a mile or so to find a pond frozen over so we could skate. Many times we went to the Sinks which was about five miles, but we didn't mind as we had a lot of fun when we got there. At times, wanting something to do, we would go hunting Doves, as there was no law against taking them at that time. We would get one or two each and dress them, then put them on a stick over some good hot coals and cook them. They were really good. Sometimes we would get some eggs and put them in a can of water and put them on the fire and boil them. When we were small and had a large family, we did not have very much money. There was a bounty on a little animal called a quimp which ate the farmer’s crops. We would take a bucket of water, and two of us would go along and pour the water down the hole of the quimps. The other on his hands and knees behind the hole with his hand at the back of the hole, ready to grab the quimp as soon as it came out. You had to be quick or you would miss it. Quimps were worth two cents each. Sometimes a snake would come out and we would grab before we saw what it was but soon let it loose. When we caught the quimps we would wring off their heads with our hands, and thread them on a wire, and when we got enough we would take them to the store and get our money. Sometimes we had to hold our nose while we counted them. But after counting them and handling them we could buy candy and eat it without thinking of what they smelled like. I know now just how the store clerk felt. I always enjoyed Christmas even though we didn't have much in the way of gifts. I remember the wonderful warmth of the wood stove and how we were busy making the decorations for the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. We always put the tree in the house and decorated it the night before Christmas and we would be so excited that we could hardly sleep. Then Santa would put the presents under the tree after we went to bed. Mother always made a pudding for Christmas that we really liked which she called "Spotted Cat". One Christmas Season we had done some looking for presents and found that we were getting ice skates for Christmas. We were really excited, so on Christmas morning we got up before everyone and raced to the tree to get our skates. We put on our coats and headed for the pond to skate. It didn't matter that the pond had a fence that went across the middle of the pond. We really loved to ice skate. Valentine Day was always fun too. In those days we children would go around the neighborhood in the evening to deliver valentines to our friends. We would leave the valentine on the step or porch, ring the door bell, then run and hide. One time we opened the door to find a beautiful valentine on our front porch. When we leaned down to pick it up it was jerked away. This was called a "jerk valentine". There would be some fishing line attached to it and it would be pulled away at the last minute. My older brother saw who had done it so he and his friends caught a mouse and put it in the valentine envelope and we took it to the person's house. We put it on the step and rang the doorbell, then watched through the window as they opened the envelope and the mouse jumped out. We really laughed. As we got a little older we liked to use Jerk Valentines too. There was one man who managed to recognize those special valentines and would stomp on them before they could be jerked away. We decided to play a trick on him and so we put honey on the valentine so when he stomped on it he got honey all over his shoe. We worked on a farm, and those days we had to take our produce out and sell it in other towns. So my older brother and I would have our double bed wagon box filled with peaches, pears, potatoes, carrots or melons, or whatever we raised, and would start out early in the mornings, as soon as daylight, hitch the team and be on our way about twenty miles to the next town. We would start down the street and the horses did not need to be driven. They would pull off at each home, and we would go in to see if the family wanted to buy anything. Then on to the next house, and so on all day until we had sold out our load. Then we would start for home, and being very tired we would tie the reins to the wagon and let the team go on their own and we would lie down in the wagon and sleep under the cover we had used over the produce. The horses usually knew the way home, but one night we tied the lines too tight on one side and it turned the horses off of the road on to a large sand hill, but as the lines pulled tight it stopped the horses just as the wagon was about to go down the other side. We do not know how long we were there but our parents had been quite worried before we got home. When a little older, my brother and I decided to go deer hunting, so we hitched up the team to the wagon and took bedding and eats, and started for the canyon. We didn't have a tent so after picking a camp ground we made our bed under the wagon, got something to eat and went to bed to be ready to rise early to start the hunt. To our surprise during the night it started to snow and by morning we had 18 inches of snow. We didn't move, if we had the snow would have fallen in our bed. We finally decided to get up, and it was so foggy we could only see a short distance. There was another camp with a tent close by, so we went there and talked for a while thinking the fog would lift and we could hunt. The fog didn't lift so we decided to go home. We found the snow had lowered the trees down across the road, and we had to shake the snow off of the trees to get through and took quite some time to get home. But we were glad to get there and get inside where it was warm and dry. While in the Priests Quorum of the Priesthood I was appointed the assistant to the Bishop, which was the only office of that particular quorum. A man named Marvin Sheriff lived out to the sinks. Every Sunday morning he would come in to Oak City to go to church. He would leave the horse and buggy outside. One morning we, (Ivan Shipley, Susan, Irene, and others), all got in the one seat, took it and drove it all over town. When Mr. Sheriff got out of church he wondered where his buggy and horse were. Someone said some young guys took it for a ride. He waited at the church until we returned, then went on home. He was a little more cautious from then on and watched his property better although we took it a couple of times and even took a picture. We skated and swam in the ponds the cattlemen had built to water their cattle, and we walked many miles at times to get to them as there was no car to ride to these places as today. We went down to Hinckley on an outing in a white topped buggy with a couple of horses to pull it and hot rocks to keep our feet warm, and a quilt over our laps to keep warm. I finished my Primary grades and regular grades at the Oak City Elementary School when I was 16. The next year I went as a freshman to the Millard Academy in Hinckley, Utah. When we were going to school in Hinckley, we had to live there during the week, but went home on weekends. One Friday we decided to leave early, we wanted to get home in time for a dance they were having there. There were four or five of us, and we started as soon as school let out in the afternoon, but with the bad roads, there were no highways then, there was just snow and mud. We had the old Model T. Ford, and it boiled all of the water out of the radiator, so we kept putting snow in it to get so we could go. We pushed and dug mud out of the spoke wheels and just about carried the car to get through. Just as we drove into Oak City the lights went out in the dance hall. The dance was over. When I was just a young teenager I had one of the greatest disappointments of my life. My brother, Loren, and myself were going with Father to the Delta country in our wagon. Father saw some tobacco and papers to roll it in beside the road. He stopped to get it and then decided to roll a cigarette and smoke it just to see what it was like. He had smoked years before but had quit when the children came along because he didn't want them to follow his example in that way. I was deeply hurt that he would now, smoke in front of my brother and I. That was the only time I ever saw him smoke. Father got sick at the end of the first year at Hinckley so I had to quit school about a month early. We thought Father had the flu but just couldn't seem to get over it. The second year at the Academy I quit early again because of Father's illness. My brother and I had to work the farm and get the Spring crops in. The second year at the Academy I took my weight, 145 pounds, in wrestling. I really liked wrestling. During this same time period there was a diphtheria epidemic. Many people in town had it. My sister, Hazel, who was four years old, got the disease and was gravely ill, and also my brother, Noel. There was an antitoxin that was lifesaving but because of the epidemic it was in short supply. It had to come from Salt Lake City. The doctor made arrangements to have it come down on the night train to Lynndyl which was eleven miles distance. It was decided that my older brother, Loren would take a horse and ride as fast as he could to meet the train, as that was the fastest means of travel at that time. Then I, on another horse would be stationed half way to take the medicine from him and ride as fast as possible on in as time was quite a feature in saving their lives. This all happened in the middle of the night. When we arrived with it, it was such a small amount to be of any use so we were unable to save Hazel's life. However Noel got better on his own, though because of the prolonged high fever he was never just right after that. In 1922 Father died, leaving a family of 12 children, one married, and a little sister just three days old. Mother was still confined to bed as they did in those days. We held the funeral on our front lawn so Mother could attend. They allowed her to be propped up in a chair at the window to witness the proceedings. Father also left a debt of $3000.00. I and my older brother Loren were compelled to call further education quits and work to support our Mother and the family from then on. When I was younger sometimes I thought we had too large a family. I guess I was selfish because I didn't get the things my friends had. Not much money to spend and not many places I was able to go. I worked out for a small wage to help the family. I did things that didn't show the love I had for our family. I didn't always do the things that made them happy. I thought at times I didn't heed my parents counsel as I should have done. I didn't pay as much attention to my Mother and to take her places where she wanted to go. But as I get older I find that their counsel was right and I should have given more attention to what they told me. One time I wanted money so bad like my friends had, that I took some old coyotes furs that we had thrown away as no good and decided I would brush them up and send them to a fur company and try and get a little money of my own to spend. So I paid the postage on them and sent them to the company. A week or so later a letter came from the company with fourteen dollars in it. That was about the largest amount of money I had ever had. I was really proud so I ran into the house and showed it to my Father. He took the check and said "this will help pay the family bills." I was really disappointed and very sad. I thought I had been wronged. Now as I am older I don't know how my parents found enough money to support that large family. I want to ask my parents to forgive me for all my mistakes. I appreciate all the things they did for me and the nights they spent watching over me when I was ill. Now that I have raised my family I see things as they must have. Once my younger brother got sick and didn't respond to treatment. Mother called the doctor and he came and said he had pneumonia so sent a nurse to care for him. She stayed night and day but when the doctor came again he said he wasn't getting any better. Mother told him she wanted to have him administered to. He said "you had better hurry as his eyes are set and he can't last long". Mother called the home teachers and they came in just a few minutes. We all knelt down at the bedside and had prayers, then they administered to our brother. In just a few minutes he started to change and kept getting better until he fully recovered. He later married and raised a family of nine children. I helped support the family until the fall of 1924 when I became engaged to Miss Mary Irene Shipley. Irene and I had our first date on Labor Day 1923. We went to Lynndyl to a rodeo. Then I went to work on the railroad at Lynndyl and then at Nephi, Utah. While working on the railroad I would make use of my free pass by going to Provo every two weeks to see Irene who was going to school at the Brigham Young Academy. I would go up Saturday and come back on Monday. I came home for the winter and worked hauling wood and cutting posts. Then I worked for J. Lee Anderson that summer for $2.50 per day. I married Irene on July 22, 1925, in the Manti Temple. Irene's brother, Wayne, was very ill and we had put off our marriage for a while hoping he would get better so her parents could attend the temple with us. However, they finally told us to go get married anyway. We, my mother, and Irene's two young sisters traveled to Manti. On the way we had a flat tire and while changing the tire I split my one pair of pants. When we arrived in Manti, Mother bought me another pair. After our marriage we spent the night in a hotel in Manti before starting for home. My mother and Irene's sisters threw water through the transom in our room. Also they had sewed up our clothes and nightclothes so we had to unpick stitches to get them on. We rented a house in Oak City which was later owned by Owen Lovell. We lived there for a month and then bought our home from Soren Rawlingson in September of 1925 where we lived the rest of our time in Oak City. When we were married, a group of young people came one evening to "Shiveree" us. This was a tradition of Oak City. They would do this to get you to promise to give a dance. So we went with them. They took us up the canyon where there was a ranch where they had a burrow. They put me on it and my wife behind me. The burrow started down the field on the run. I didn't think he could carry both of us but he did. As he ran I kept going forward and my wife just close behind me. The first thing I knew I was almost up to his ears. I pulled the reins and stopped him and we slipped back. By the time we got back there he was going again and soon we were up front again, so I jumped off and took Irene off with me, and the burrow went on down the field. Then we had to go catch him to take the bridle off. Then we went on up to the resort and they were having a dance. Some club from Delta. We went in and danced with our every day clothes, but we enjoyed it. Then they took us home and said it was no fun because we didn't get upset. We told them we would give them a dance and we did. We had an enjoyable time at our dance and got lots of gifts. I was ordained an Elder on May 19, 1925. While an Elder, I held the following offices; Secretary, 1st counselor, 2nd counselor, and was in charge of the Welfare Project which was begun that year. At this time each donated 15 bushel of wheat and $5.00 to begin this project. With the money we bought land on which we planted the grain. Another time they were given a Stake assessment of wheat. Each quorum member was to donate some wheat. However hardly any of the members would help with the assessment so I used up most of the wheat from my own granary to make up the assessment. During this time also I taught the Van Guards in Mutual for a year or two. It was while an Elder that I experienced one of the richest privileges of my life. It was while I was in church one evening that word was sent for me to come and help administer to my sister-in-law, Genevie Talbot, wife of my brother, Lyle. She was talking to her dead brother who seemed to be urging her to go with him, but she told him that she couldn't leave her husband and family. I and a neighbor, Brother Clarence East, administered to her. She became herself again and the pain left her immediately. This was a great testimony to me and was the first of many experiences in my life that bore out to me the power of the priesthood that I hold. Loren and I had been running our Father's farm, but as the other boys grew older they wanted to run it and we let them do so. It was on April 25, 1926 that our first child was born, a boy, which we named Daryl Reed Talbot. We were all very proud of him as he was our first child and the Shipley's first grandchild. He was early though, and very small. Soon after this I went to work for George H. Anderson for $2.50 per day. Of course I also ran my own farm, which I was buying, at the same time. In January 1926 we had electricity installed in our home. This was a change for much the better, because previously we had used oil lamps, which gave weak light, and were very dangerous. They also took lots of cleaning because the chimney would get black with the smoke after a little use. I also bought one of the first radios, a compact size, to come to town, and many people came to hear the programs and fights (boxing) that came on it. Also many people would come to listen to General Conference from Salt Lake City. In 1930 we bought an old 1924 Chevrolet car at Salt Lake City. We were very proud of it because it would go 40 miles per hour. In 1931 just five years later to the day, a daughter was born to us, namely Viola Talbot. She was our first girl and very welcome. It was during the depression when Viola was born and to top it off there came a drought and we couldn't raise anything. I finally gave in and went on public relief for a year at a salary of $40 per month. I was glad that I could work for the money I got. Our work was making roads in Oak Creek Canyon, a few miles East of Oak City. After a year at this I decided I would try to go back to making a living on my farm and make it pay or starve trying. I worked hard on this farm, which was run down because of neglect for a few years. We made the farm pay and after two or three years I bought some more land and a little water, planting the land into hay. We would get three crops and often four during the summer. This had been my father's farm and was a good hay field. My father was the first one to clear the land and break ground North of Oak City. At first he had to put a wire fence around it to keep the rabbits out. My brother, Loren, and I would take turns going out to shoot rabbits out there. On May 22, 1936 another girl was born, Glenda Irene Talbot being the second girl and third child. That winter I went to work on the railroad on my spare time earning a little money wherever I could. A little later we moved two more rooms from Lynndyl to improve our home. In the summer of 1939 we took a trip to the parks in Southern Utah. In 1940 we vacationed in Yellowstone National Park. We could only be gone from the farm a few days at a time but enjoyed our trips. On January 31, 1940, another son and fourth child was born. He was given the name of George James Talbot, being named after both his grandfathers. In 1941, World War II began and my youngest brother Basil was called into the Army leaving me both farms to care for. Basil just got home when my son, Daryl, was called into the service, so I still didn't have much help. Glenda and Viola worked hard to help but weren't old enough to do the hard work. About this time too, I had bought a little more land and water so I had a hard time. On October 11, 1942, I was ordained a High Priest by Harold R. Morris. On November 19, 1942, I was set apart for a Stake Mission in the Deseret Stake, by Harold R. Morris at Delta, Utah. I was released as Missionary in July 1944 at Delta, Utah. I have found my Priesthood line which is as follows: I Thomas Reed Talbot was ordained a High Priest by Harold R. Morris, who was ordained by Reed Smoot, who was ordained by Heber C. Kimball, who received it from the three witnesses. They received it from Joseph Smith, who was ordained by Peter, James, and John. I served as 1st counselor in the High Priest Quorum for seven years. For a while I was in charge of the Junior Genealogical work. We had everyone interested in this work and it was thriving very well. I was also 1st counselor in Sunday School organization for quite a few years. I served as the Republican Chairman of Oak City for 8 years. I have sat up with the sick many times in my life. I sat up with my Grandparents Talbot at the end of their lives and with Irene's brothers, Robert and Wayne. I also sat up with the bodies of those that had died. We had no undertakers in those days and we would stay with them nights to see that nothing molested them. They say cats love to eat the flesh of humans after death. We also had to break ice and put in bottles to be put around the bodies to keep them from spoiling until they were buried. In 1948, my son, Daryl went on a Mission to Northern California, leaving me again with the farm with only George, at eight years old and the girls to help. This mission cost about $2000, but we were pleased by the satisfaction and blessings Daryl received. Also I would like to state that during the two years of his mission we made out better than we had and hardly missed the money. A month before going on a mission Daryl married Helen Joyce Wood. While he was away their first son, Leonard Daryl was born. He was almost like my own child. In 1950 Daryl returned home only to be called back into the service again during the Korean conflict, still leaving me with the farm. In 1951 we went to visit Daryl and his family in Port Townsend, Washington, where he was stationed. While there we crossed on a ferry to Vancouver, Canada. We went with Father and Mother Shipley and their son Wesley. We really enjoyed this trip. For one summer Irene and I managed the concession stand at the town swimming pool and outdoor roller skating rink. We sold candy and other things and rented out the skates and took admission to the pool. We also had to clean out the dressing rooms and keep the pool orderly. I have enjoyed sports all my life and played all manner of games in my youth. I served as manager of the baseball team in Oak City for the summer of 1951-52. I was hit in the elbow once with a baseball, breaking off a chip which I could always feel floating around in the joint the rest of my life. We had one of the first television sets that came. Daryl bought it in Delta and didn't get good reception on it there so he brought it to our home, then came up there to watch it as the reception was much better. I have seen the roads change from dirt to gravel to oil. I have experienced the coming of the airplane. Now the spaceships to the moon. I have witnessed the change in the government where they have lowered the standards of our country, where vices are legalized and drugs are used extensively, where people do not dress modestly. Where murder is rampant and robbery is everywhere. We remember the scripture tells us this is a choice land and as long as we live the commandments it will be, but if we do not, we will be swept off. All of these things point to the end as said "When the leaves come on the olive tree, we know that spring is nigh and as we see all the wickedness in the world, we know the end is nigh. My daughter, Viola, married Afton Fawcett in 1951 and moved to Hurricane, Utah to live. During this time I was the supervisor of the Deacon's quorum and also a ward teacher, as I have been nearly all my life. I have also made many trips to the temple to do work for the dead. I was also Marshall of Oak City. Being Marshall brought some interesting experiences. We never had any really serious problems to take care of but once we had a problem with young people breaking into the swimming pool at night for a swim. I was able to catch them in the act. Also one time at church someone threw a lighted fire cracker into the church during the closing prayer at Sacrament meeting. I worked for some time to find the culprit with the Mayor very insistent that the person responsible be punished. I was able to find the boy and it was the Mayor's grandson. I have always taken pride in my surroundings and tried to make them as pleasant as possible. I always had lots of flowers and roses to make our lot beautiful. We had lots of peonies and would sell them for people for Memorial Day. I also enjoyed budding trees and trying out new things. I had farmed all my life and did many other jobs. It was quite a trial to farm in Oak City as we did not have much water and would start out in the Spring with high hopes, but as the summer came and water lessened, we lost a lot of our crops and it was quite discouraging. In the summer we raised all kinds of vegetables and fruit. Many people from the Delta area bought from me from year to year. We sold tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and all other things. We especially had good melons and people came from all around the country to buy them. I had a muskmelon that I really liked. I had got the seeds from a Japanese man so called it a Japanese Muskmelon. The taste was much better than a Cantaloupe though it didn't keep as well and was prone to spoil in the field. One day a woman wanted to buy a cantaloupe but someone had just bought the last one I had. I cut a Japanese melon for her to try and she liked it so much she took several. So did the other person and when they left I only had that one cantaloupe left on the lawn other than the watermelons. Along with the vegetables and fruit we had dairy cows, beef cattle, pigs and chickens. At various times we had rabbits, sheep, turkeys, geese and even a goat for a while. I had got the goat because Daryl wanted it but it was a real nuisance. It would climb up the lean-to shed next to the granary and then climb right up to the top of the gable roof. It also ate the clothes hanging on the line and anything it could find. I finally talked Daryl into getting rid of it and he got some pigeons instead. I would always try to make a little money wherever I could. For a time I did some trapping of coyotes as there was a bounty on their hides. I would bait the traps with some terrible smelling stuff and ride my horse out in a day or two to collect the animals and skin them. Coyotes are very smart animals and keep you on your toes. I used to get on my horse after a snow and go down to the desert and pick up a track and follow for awhile. Then I would get to see him and get him with my rifle. I used to like to ride to the cattle range and check on my cattle and find out how many new calves had been born since I had last saw them, so would combine my ride this with the check on my traps. Many a time the coyote would pull up the stakes and get loose and I would have to track them for miles before I could catch up with them. And I always took my 30-30 rifle with me and quite often I could get a coyote to help for the day’s work. It was quite a financial help to catch them and get the bounty and sell the furs. I tried to do all kinds of jobs to keep the bills paid. In those days you either made it yourself or you didn't have it. The government wasn't as liberal as it is today. Sometimes I got more than I bargained for. Once there was a skunk in the trap just caught by one foot. In trying to get it out of the trap, it sprayed and caught my shoes. The family said they could smell me coming home a mile away. Another time I caught a badger. I wanted the kids to see it so tied a rope on it and led it home. We tied it to the rafters of an unused portion of the chicken coop overnight. The next morning it had chewed the rope and got away. I always liked animals of all kinds but they had to be in their place and be useful. We once had a dog we called "Old Tim". He was like a farm hand for me. I could leave the bars down on the corral while I hauled manure to the fields and Old Tim would sit right there and keep the cows in. I could send him to the field to round up the cows and bring them home. I was sure that he could understand everything I said and he obeyed. Other people in town would ask me to bring my dog when there was a special problem with a bull or other animals because he was so good to handle. I enjoyed having a small herd of sheep but had problems with town dogs that would run in packs and kill the sheep or just maim them so they had to be destroyed. Once I saw one of my neighbor's dogs in the pen with my sheep and told the owner that I was going to shoot him if he came again. The man said to go ahead as he was sure that it wasn't his dog. The next time the dog bothered the sheep I took the shotgun and got him going away from me through the bars on the corral. The neighbor said his dog was sick and died but didn't admit that he had been shot. I used to go to the mountains to cut hay poles for people for a little extra money. I also read the electric meters for the city in Oak City for a few years. One of my favorite times of year was the deer hunt. Usually all or most of my brothers would get together and go hunting up Oak City Canyon. We would camp over night and nearly always have our deer by midmorning. It was a happy time for me to be with my brothers out in the mountains. I think of all the good times we had in Oak City, of going up to the canyon fishing, and of rabbit hunts we had on New Year's Day. Going out to the lake to skate and in the summer to swim. How we used to go to the canyon to stay for a week and take hikes to Fool Creek Peak as a group, and the good deer hunts we had with my brothers. I think of the baseball games we had and our basketball team and the trips we made to all the neighboring towns to compete. My self and a brother played on our team at one time and we really enjoyed that. I think of our Second Honeymoon trip Loren and Golda and Irene and I took to Salt Lake. We went to shows and did shopping and just had a good time together. I think of all the times we spent together with our parents playing Rook and helping them to more fully enjoy their lives. We enjoyed being with them and always had a good time. I remember one time we had a large amount of Mormon crickets in the Oak City Canyon and we all got excited and got together and all took sticks and all manner of weapons to try to destroy them before they came down into our crops. We had a big hard day but we did destroy a lot of them so they didn't bother that year. But next year they were all down in our fields and a neighbor had a large flock of turkeys and he moved them from one field to another until he cleaned most of them up. The crickets were such great big black things of about three inches long. We did our best to educate our children and to teach them the right way to live. We financed missions and tried to help them in any way possible. I had to do my part in the Church as I was on the Genealogy Committee for many years, 1943 to 1949 and again in 1954 to 1957. In the year of 1957, May 22, after much thought and discussion with my wife and children, we decided to sell our farm and move to a place where George could go to college and we could still have him at home with us, as he was our last child. Our children that were married were living in St. George and Hurricane, so the first place we looked was St. George. I found I could get work there for Rocky Mountain Trucking Co, so I sold our home and farm land to Milan Jacobson and Melvin Roper. Melvin had just sold his farm in Idaho, and was in the market for a farm. I sold all of the cattle with it. I hated to give them up, they were a source of joy to me, but we sold them all. Milan Jacobson bought our house. He was our neighbor. This left us with forty acres of land up near the hills, which we still own and I have given to my two sons. With all of our material things disposed of, we were ready to leave. The Ward had a very nice party for us before we left. Then on the morning of the 22 of May, which was our daughter, Glenda's birthday, with our pickup truck loaded to the brink, we left for St. George to make our home. We had already purchased a home. It was a little square red rock house. I worked for Rocky Mountain, delivering produce to eleven of the small towns in the Southern part of the state. We were in the First Ward in St. George and it was a friendly ward, so we soon had many friends and were very happy with our ward and our family. We enjoyed being with them. I did not enjoy driving those large trucks over all of these mountain roads, so decided to do something else, and got a job supervising the digging of a trench for the pipe line from Washington to St. George. This job was only a temporary one. At this time Harvey Talbot, a second cousin, came and wanted me to buy his Shell Gas Station, which I did. And I had it for about a year. As I had George and Paul Pace helping me, and they were both trying to get awards in Church, this left me to do the work on Sundays, so I seldom got to Church. The church needed a custodian, so one of the counselors came to me and wanted me to take the job. There were two wards in the building and after thinking it over; it was our decision to try it. So then we had both jobs for several months, until I could sell the Station. For the next eleven years I spent most of my time painting and maintaining the church building. I always tried to go the second mile by planting flowers and keeping the grounds beautiful as befitting the Lord's House. I also tried to be of service to all those who used the building. In 1958 I was called to head the Genealogy Committee of our first ward which I did for several years. George was called to his mission in the Northern States Mission so Irene and I were alone which was quite an adjustment. We, with Glenda and Wilford, traveled back to Chicago and brought George home from his mission, which was a trip never to be forgotten. We were able to visit the early church history sights of Nauvoo and surrounding area which we enjoyed very much. We had a lot of wonderful things happen our family. When George got home from his mission, he married Margaret Fawson. Another trip that was special to me was when Wilford and Glenda took us to Oregon. We saw and did things we had never done before. There were blackberries growing wild that had the biggest berries I had ever seen. We picked some and bottled them to bring home. We also visited a plywood mill. It was interesting to watch the huge logs being "unrolled" into sheets to be glued together for plywood. I had always loved fishing but had never been on the ocean. We went ocean fishing and I caught several salmon. It was discouraging to catch such large fish that were too small to keep by the law. We did catch several that were of legal size to take. I had my picture taken holding them. We really loved our home in St. George, and the people. We made many choice friends. We enjoyed our trips back to Millard County and to Oak City, to see our Mother and the family there. Irene's Mother was the only one of our parents left, as my Mother died just before we moved to St. George. We had many good times with the family, such as cook-outs, and camping, and fishing trips. My boat, The Fire Fly, gave us a lot of thrills and a lot of good fishing, of which I never will forget. All of the men in the boat on the Enterprise Reservoir was a grand experience. We also used to get together and go pine nut picking, which was also a choice experience. It seemed time traveled on so fast and I retired from the custodian work, and then the Bishop asked us to go on a mission, so I was released from the High Priest Group leadership. I suppose the Bishop thought I did not have anything to do so he asked us if we would go on a mission. We said we would and were making plans to go. One day I had a terrible black feeling come over me and I knew that I just couldn't go on that mission. I felt I was overpowered with some influence. I decided it was the influence of Satan so went into the bedroom and knelt down and ask my Father in Heaven to deliver me. I felt somewhat like Joseph Smith must have felt at the First Vision. The dark, heavy feeling disappeared and I knew that we could and should serve our mission. Our assignment was to the Ohio Mission. It was also hard for us to go, as Mother Shipley was old and in poor health and two years was a long time. We decided to go for six months anyway, but when we got to the Mission Home in Salt Lake, we found we had been called for two years. This caused us to think what might happen in this period of time. We were quite concerned about leaving, but when we were set apart for our mission, by Brother Alma Sonje, we were told that we would have good health and all would be well at home, so this relieved our minds. We traveled by Train to Chicago, then by plane to Columbus Ohio, and later by bus to West Virginia, where we were called first to labor. We had some choice experiences there and met some very choice people, which we learned to love very much. Some of them we still receive letters from. The first Sunday that we were in the mission field, the Branch Relief Society President invited us to dinner after church. We followed them way out in the hills to their very small, humble home. They shewed the chickens off the table and out of the house and also put the goat out, then set the table using canning jars to drink out of. It was quite a shock to us to have chickens and animals with run of the house. The husband was a coal miner and couldn't read or write but Sister Chapman had made sure that her children could read and each one had a Bible to learn from. They would spend all summer bottling everything they could for winter, even potatoes and chickens that they raised. Many of the members and people that we taught would be what is called "Hillbillies" but they were good people. Many of them no longer had teeth because of chewing tobacco most of their lives from about age three, until they came into the church. Most of the members had only been in the church a very short time so needed a lot of direction. The Branch President had only been a member for three years. When we were there the Sunday School Superintendent was only eighteen years old. Most of the members lived in almost shacks out in the hills. For entertainment on Saturday nights, the men all around the hills would gather into town and trade pocket knives. We labored in Buckhannon for seven months, and Glenda and Wilford and family came here to see us and stayed a couple of days, which we enjoyed very much. Then we received word to move to Wheeling Branch in McMechan, so we loaded up and started on our way. Here again we had many choice experiences. We stayed with the Branch President's Mother, Edith McCann for several weeks, until we could get a room ready, cleaned and papered, upstairs in the old building that was given to the Church by some of the members. It was built before the Civil War, on the banks of the Ohio River. We spent much time cleaning, painting and remodeling the building, to get it in shape for a chapel. We also did a lot of traveling, fellowshipping and proselyting to build the branch up to where it could function. They were not holding Priesthood Meeting for lack of members. We worked until a lot of inactive members started coming, and also gave discussions and baptized others and in a short time had enough to hold both Priesthood meetings, and had them active and working. We baptized two men the same day, one the manager of the Marks Toy Factory and the other the head of a finance company, which added greatly to the branch because they needed more Priesthood holders. One is now the Branch President. We baptized another man a month later which was a choice spirit and he married one of our good branch members. I was not entitled to perform the marriage, so they asked me to be best man at the wedding. He later became Ward Clerk at a Ward in Ohio. He and his family came out and stayed with us and went through the Temple here in St. George, which was another choice happening in our life. This was the second couple that wanted me to perform their marriage, so again I was the best man. We met many fine people and had we stayed longer may have been able to get them into the church. We met people that were from St. George area who had married and were living out there. We visited the Mounds in Moundsville, which were interesting, and educational. We lived on the banks of the Ohio River. The people called it the Ohio Valley. We cannot begin to tell all the things that happened in our mission. It would take too long but many are recorded our journals. We saw two Miracles while we were there. There was a family by the name of Hoovers which we had been seeing for some time. All were members but the father though he treated us kindly. One day one of the boys about twelve years old was sent over to the store across the highway for some groceries and as he was crossing the road on the way home, he was hit by a car and was badly scarred up, unconscious and his head was partly crushed. They took him to the hospital and there were seven doctors checking him over. His mother came to us and wanted us to go to the hospital and administer to him. When we arrived there they had his tongue tied out to keep him from swallowing it and he was not breathing, just quivering. We asked to give him a blessing and the doctor in charge said "It won't do any good as he is about dead". But we told him we would like to anyway, and so he said just a minute. The doctors were all Catholic. We could hardly find a place on his head to put the oil and had to place our hands under his chin to give him the blessing we desired to give him. The member of the branch presidency anointed him and I sealed the anointing. Within twenty minutes after we were through, they loosed his tongue and he was breathing normally. Within about six weeks he was back to school. On his birthday as he became 12 years old, he was ordained a deacon. He had a party for his birthday and he wanted Irene and I to come so we did go and enjoyed a very nice party with them. The second miracle was a woman who had been diagnosed with cancer and given only a few months to live. She had exploratory surgery but they could do nothing for her as she was full of cancer. We gave her a blessing and when she next went to the doctor to be checked, he could find no sign of the cancer at all. She was completely cured and again the doctor couldn't understand it. When it came time for us to leave for home, one of the men had his wife take us to the bus. We spent one night with the Mission President and his family in the mission home, which was a wonderful time. Then we flew to Denver, where Glenda and George and families met us at the airport. We stayed with them one night, then received a phone call from Oak City, that Mother Shipley was very ill, so we left next morning for Salt Lake, where Betty and Norine met us at the plane, and after eating lunch at Wesley's home, he then took us down to Oak City. When we arrived Mother did not know us, but we decided to stay for a while, until she was better. She did get better and Daryl brought our car for us and he and his family and Viola's family all came and saw us there. We stayed in Oak City for a month until Mother was some better, then went to St. George, where we gave our report to the High Council and in Sacrament meeting. We commuted back and forth to Oak City very often until Mother passed away in the fall. After returning from our mission we were called to be ordinance workers in the St. George Temple. We served there for eight years. It was a joy to us to serve the Lord in this way and we made many good friends there. We had a trying experience in the loss of our son-in-law Wilford Wulfenstein. He was accidently shot, while cleaning his gun. We chartered a small 5 passenger plane and headed for Denver. Shortly after leaving St. George a report was received in St. George that a small plane was lost, but not ours. Daryl had given a fine prayer for our safety just before we left, and we knew we would be okay. We landed safe and sound. I was called to work with the Senior Aaronic Priesthood members, as soon as we got home from our mission, and we had great success, helping many families get back into activity. The ward was divided just after we came home and I was chosen First Assistant in the Sunday School in the new Tenth Ward. We were also called to be Ordinance Workers in the St. George Temple. In 1980 we celebrated our Golden Wedding. Our children had an open house for us and a party with our family. It was wonderful. In this year of 1980 I still love sports, baseball, basketball, football, and fishing and hunting. I spent two days at the Roundrobbin of this area high school play. I went with Daryl who was officiating. While serving as a Home teacher with Daryl as my partner we baptized a wonderful woman and worked with several other families. This is the greatest work in the church, to help our fellow men see the right way of life, and be able to help them obtain it. In 1974 we, as a family, were up on Boulder Mountain on a camping and fishing trip. Daryl and all of his family, Glenda and all of her family, (Wilford had been taken back to his Father in Heaven), and George and all of his family were there. Viola and her family were unable to go. This was a vacation trip that all the family tried to make each year. We would stay over the weekend and go to church down to Torrey, but we had so many in our family it made it quite inconvenient for the ward as it was small. When we went they had to move in chairs and were quite crowded. So we decided to hold our own service at our camp. We arranged a Junior Sunday School, having our granddaughters take charge of that. It was very successful and all of the children took part. Then after the Sunday School was out, we had a Sacrament meeting. We did lack the Sacrament, otherwise it was like all others. We turned it into a testimony meeting and children and all bore their testimonies. I heard some of the best testimonies I have ever heard. Most of us had tears in our eyes as we listened to those humble and faith promoting testimonies. I don't believe I was ever to a meeting where I felt the spirit of the Lord so strong. The Lord said where there are few met together, there My Spirit will be also. Some of Glenda's children bore testimonies that they felt their Father was there to the meeting with them. They could feel his spirit, especially little Gary. He had tears on his face as he bore that humble testimony and was only nine years old. Some of our family camping trips were to Boulder Mountain, Gooseberry Lake, Mammouth Creek and to Wayne Wonderland (Capitol Reef). At one time I purchased a boat and named it the firefly. It was a fishing boat. Daryl had the motor. I remember once that Wilford, Afton, Daryl and I put the boat on Enterprise reservoir. We had a great time and caught our limits of fish. We teased each other and joked and laughed. We came home thirsty, hungry and tired but happy we had enjoyed being together. One fishing trip was not so fun. We were at Baker Reservoir and George waded out to unhook a snagged line. He got in over his head and began to thrash in the water and I could see he was in real trouble. I dropped my pole and went in to get him. It really gave me a scare. We love our family so much and want them to always be with us. We have tried to teach them the way to live so that we can always be together after this life. Our life is nothing without our children and their families. Wherever I have gone I have always tried to spread the Gospel. One time we took the bus to Provo to go to Stanley's mission farewell. We met a man on the bus who was Catholic and a bachelor. We had a nice conversation with him and he enjoyed what we told about our church and the things we did and what was expected of us. He said it was the most enjoyable ride he had ever had and he wanted to meet our family which he did, and he thought they were really wonderful. He was surprised to see George and all their family, and Glenda and all their family at the bus stop to meet us. I have always tried to keep busy and make good use of the time I have here on earth. The Lord said to serve our neighbors so I have tried to do that. For years we took our neighbors shopping and on their errands. We had many widows and older neighbors so I tried to keep their coolers running and always took their water turns even in the night. Many times I carried out their garbage and tried to look out for their places when they were away. We also tried to visit older friends in the nursing home every week. We enjoyed bringing a little joy to them. They always seemed glad to see us. At one time we had an appliance store with Daryl. We were supposed to go to a convention in California with the dealers to get the information on all the new appliances for the next year. Daryl thought it best for me to go so I went. There were dealers from many states. I was amazed as we arrived. The first thing they did was to go to the bar which was set up on the back lawn. You could order any kind of hard drink you desired and they would have waitresses to bring trays of all kinds and pass it. To my surprise only a Stake President from Bountiful and myself refused it. Some of the members of our church said it wouldn't hurt to take it but I wasn't interested. They later asked if we would like some orange juice so we accepted that. At the showing later that evening most of the men were sick and unable to enjoy a very fine dinner. Another time we had a chance to go to Salt Lake City to a showing and they said to leave your wives home and come and we will furnish everything. We said if that is what it is we won't be there. I am thankful for the church and their leaders to guide us in the way we should do. I hope and pray all the children will be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord. It is the only way to gain Eternal Life. In December of 1984, my brother, Basil, came down to have me give him a Father's Blessing. He and his wife had been asked to serve a mission and he felt he needed a blessing. I was the only Father he ever knew since our Father died when Basil was only two years old. Several of the other children looked to me as their Father too. I felt a keen responsibility to them and tried to be a good example and to give them good advice when they needed it just as our Father would have. We have had the joy of many grandchildren and great grandchildren being born during these years. I have a strong testimony of the church. I have read the writings of Joseph Smith in the Pearl of Great Price and I know he is telling the truth and that he did see and hear the things he said he did. If all could accept the Gospel according to the scriptures and the words of the Prophets and leaders, the world would be a beautiful place to live. In July 1985 we celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary. There aren't too many couples who reach that milestone and we were grateful to do that. Our family all got together and helped us to celebrate. We had our pictures in the local paper and were interviewed for a story in the paper. Our family got together at Viola and Afton's to celebrate. It was a wonderful time. We still try to get to the temple as often as we can. When we lived in St. George we would go to two sessions twice a week. When we moved to Hurricane we didn't get to go as often. They had a bus that we could take but it was always loaded. In the summer of 1986, Irene had an operation that found she had Colon Cancer. She never seemed to recover from the operation very well and had problems with her memory and also her sight. For the past year I have taken care of her and the house and yard, done the cooking and cleaning. 1987- It is difficult to see Irene suffer so but I guess we will just accept the Lord's decision. He is a just God and he will do what is best. We came here to be tested and I guess that is part of life. I just hope we are strong enough to live through and be faithful to the end. I am getting old and a lot of things I can't do but maybe I can have influence in the lives of my brother's families. I feel I have a great responsibility to help them as my brothers were called home at quite a young age and left their families without their guidance. If I can have the ability to bring back those who have strayed, back into the service of their Father in Heaven I would be most happy. We are blessed with a good family. They all had a great Mother and grandmother, but she was called home and left us to do a greater work on the other side. It is quite a trial to get along without her to help us. But the Lord knows what is best for us so we live the best we can under all circumstances we have to face. We are promised in our blessing that we will live in the Celestial Kingdom with our Father in Heaven. I am so proud of my family. They all lead good lives and all married in the temple. All the sons and grandsons have filled missions and the younger ones preparing. Irene passed away June 5, 1987. I was so sad and lonely to see her go but I didn't want to see her suffer anymore. I just want to live worthy to be with her again. I have found that the harder I work the less time I have to think so I manage to keep busy. I lost my driver's license in 1988 so decided to get rid of my car. I gave it to Daryl. I suppose it wasn't safe for me to drive anyway as my legs are not as good as they should be, and I know that my reflexes aren't. I had cataracts on both eyes and had surgery on both, the last being in March 1988. It reminded me of when the Lord said "Let there be light" and there was light. That is the way it was with me. I went from a blind eye to a good one. I am really grateful for my good sight again. This history would not be complete without me saying how much my wife, Irene, means to me. No one could have helped me through some of the difficult times of my life. She has inspired me to do bigger and better things. She has been a good Mother to our children, and has always taught them correct principles, and has lived near unto the Lord. I am so glad she decided to be my wife long years ago. She always had her family and church upper most in her mind. I love her very much and dreaded to think of the time we may be parted for a time. My love for her grew as we grew older. I am thankful for the Gospel which gives a relief to the thought of being together again after this life. [The following is written by Reed Talbot’s youngest daughter, Glenda, after his death]: The two and one half years our Father was alone were very difficult for him. He was very lonely and missed our Mother very much. However, he continued to try to live as he should and always had. He took care of all his neighbors and tried to encourage all he came in contact with to better their lives and live as the Gospel teaches. He was always concerned for all members of his immediate family and also those of his extended one. They all knew how much he loved them. Thomas Reed Talbot passed away January 24, 1990 at the hospital in St. George where he had spent a few days with heart Arrhythmia and low blood pressure. The problems went away and he was to be released from the hospital the following day. After a happy visit with neighbors who came to see him he was taken almost in the twinkling of an eye, which is what he had wished. He had taken care of Mother for so long as she suffered before her death and had proved himself worthy of mercy from our Father in Heaven. His funeral was held in Hurricane, Utah on January 27, 1990 and was buried beside Mother in the St. George City Cemetery. The large crowd of family and friends who attended was a tribute to the kind of man that he was. Many had come from long distances to be in attendance and pay their respects. (I never knew until his elder years that he always wished that we children would call him Father. That was how he addressed his own father and felt that it showed loved and respect. For that reason, as I complete his history, he will be addressed as such.) Father had worked very hard all of his life, first for his mother, brothers and sisters, and then for his own family. He was willing to do any kind of honest work to provide for his family. It was very difficult for him as a young teenager to bear the burden of supporting so large a family. He told of laying in his bed at night so many times, not thinking of a special girlfriend, or a car he would like or even nice clothes, but of how he would feed and clothe his brothers and sisters and how he could manage to meet the next payment on the land they were buying. He always thought of others before himself. In his older years the habit was still with him and he was always busy working for his neighbors and family, only his pay was love and respect. In the last years of his life at an age when most men were sitting on their porch watching the world go by, Father was busy with life. He decided to cut down some trees in his back yard to allow more sun to his flowers. Family members tried to help him but his neighbors were often shocked to see him high in a tree cutting out branches before his help came. His neighbor said he could have part of her water turn so for weeks he busied himself with the hard work of making trenches and putting in pipe to carry the water to his trees and flowers. When his water turn came, no matter what the hour, he could be found wading in mud and water to get his yard irrigated. As I stumbled around with him trying to help and very apprehensive as he felt his way around in the dark on very unsteady legs, I said to him “I think you really enjoy irrigating". He thought for a moment and then replied, "You know, I really believe that I do." Most people thought he was a much younger man because he was so much more active and involved with everything around him than other men his age. For years he and Mother took an elderly, blind woman to do her grocery shopping every week. He made it a practice to visit old friends every week in nursing homes or those that were ill at home. He started slips from all his plants and trees for all the family who wanted them and kept everyone in nuts and grapes. He remembered which person liked which things and made a point to remember to get some to them. He raised a garden more to provide for family and neighbors around him than for himself. He started dozens of geraniums in his cold frame every fall to be given away to all who wanted them in the spring. Most of his families have roses, trees and grapes and other plants started from his yard. Each time we visited we would return home with our car loaded with all the things he wanted to share with us. He was an expert at "budding" trees and enjoyed combining several fruits on one tree. Even when I was small, I remember an apple tree in our yard in Oak City that had three kinds of apples on so the tree bore fruit from summer into late fall. He learned this art from his brother-in-law, Lafe Olson and was always grateful to Lafe for teaching him. Father was known for his beautiful flowers and yard and it was rare to find a weed there. Someone once said to him, "I don't believe weeds grow in your yard". He replied, "Not if I see them". He also loved the outdoors and liked nothing better than to fish a stream, catching fish when no one else could catch them. Many times he would find company at each hole down the stream as some other fisherman thought each hole must be better because Father was catching fish and they could not. Father also loved to hunt deer. In his later years, he would say his eyes weren't good any more but he would always be the first to see a deer and be able to see if it was a buck. He was a very good shot and rarely missed his mark. We used the venison to eat in place of the beef which he sold to support his family. Father loved to watch any of us participate in a ball game of any kind. He would always find time to cheer us on. He had arthritis in his knees so badly that there were times he couldn't walk, but he was determined to work in his yard, so would crawl around to do the weeding and picking. He was told that if he gave up and quit working and being active that he would soon be in a wheelchair, so he worked hard no matter how much pain it caused. He would sit in a hot bath and massage and work his sore joints to keep them moving just a little longer. Work in the temple was very close to his heart. He spent many hours doing that work. He made it a habit of going to the temple for at least two sessions every week and would try to make it up if he had to miss a week because of illness or visitors. He had a gift of the spirit and was often asked to administer to family and friends. His blessings were truly valued and we knew that if the blessing we desired was for our good, it would surely be given through him. Father made friends very easily and he was a good friend to everyone. He liked to joke and tease and there was always laughter around him. He especially loved children. He could gain the confidence of even the most shy child and soon have them laughing and on his lap. He was five foot nine inches tall and was stocky built with broad shoulders that seemed strong enough to carry all our burdens easily, and strong hands, that though they were rough from hard work, were gentle on the fevered brow of a child. He had dark brown hair that even when grey never lost much of its youthful color. His eyes were grey and were rarely without a sparkle in them, though tears were seen in them often in his later years when he was concerned for his family or at the loss of a loved one. He never wanted much of the things of the world. The only time he wished for greater material things were when his children needed something. The first time I ever saw my father cry was when I was going away to college in St. George and he told me that what schooling I got would have to be on my own because he could not financially help me at that time. Spiritual riches were of the most importance to him. That is what he desired for his loved ones. He was proud of their accomplishments in their work and school but the things that the Gospel teaches us are of most worth, were the things that pleased him most. He loved his family unconditionally through the difficult times as well as the happy ones. We all looked to him for the strength to get us through our own trials. He never failed to give us the help that we needed. Even when he gave advice unsolicited and maybe unwanted at the moment, later we could see the wisdom in what he told us. We all learned a great lesson from watching the respect he gave our mother. If we ever talked back to our mother, as children sometimes try to do, we were sternly disciplined because "you will not talk to my wife that way." During the year our mother was ill before her death, Father insisted on caring for her himself as much as possible. He managed on very little sleep and tried to keep things going normally for her sake. When she was in the hospital for two weeks, he would not leave her side so the nurses gave in and put a roll-a-way bed in her room for him to sleep on. He stayed right with her until she could go home. One of his greatest characteristics was responsibility and dependability. He would never let anyone down. Even when he was a young man taking care of his Mother and family, he took the responsibility given him very seriously and did the best he knew how. If he said he would do something, you knew that he would. He always went the extra mile in whatever he did. Any calling he had at church was taken very seriously and fulfilled to the best of his ability. We as his descendants have a great heritage left us by this great man and a wonderful example of how our Father in Heaven would have us live. Each of us would do well to pattern our lives after his that we may be assured of being his presence once again. (Compiled by Daughter, Glenda T. Young, 1990) MY FATHER'S LIFE - (THOMAS REED TALBOT) - BY DARYL TALBOT 1940 Thomas Reed Talbot born in Hinckley, Utah, June 16, 1901. I lived there until I was 9 then moved to Oak City where I finished my grade school. Then went back to Hinckley to school where I spent two years in the Millard Academy. I had to return home soon after because my Father was ill and he died sometime later. So that finished my school. We run the farm the best we could. We were in debt about $3000. at the time of my Father's death, so we had plenty to do for a few years. Then I went to Lynndyl, Utah for about one month then we transferred to Nephi, Utah where I worked for two months. I was laid-off so I came home and worked for J. Lee Anderson all that spring until July. At that time I found a girl I liked very well and were married July 22, 1925. We rented a home for one month, and then bought me one. I went in debt $1650. That was September. The next Spring April 25, 1926 we had a baby born. It was a boy. We had good crops for a few years, and then we had a girl born 5 years later to the day. I trapped and made as much as $200. in a short time. This helped to cut down the mortgage on my home. But the depression hit before my home was paid for. I always prayed to my Father in Heaven to bring us out of trouble. I was married in the Temple and have been back several times to do work for the dead. I wish I could spend more time doing work for my ancestors who could not do theirs. I have held every office in every quorum and am now in the presidency of the Elders. I was baptized by Eldon Anderson at Oak City. I was blessed by George A. Black of Hinckley. We also had a drought and were buying hay at $12.00 per ton. The government helped us some. They kept us in meat most of the time. In May 1936 another girl was born and on January 31, 1940 another boy was born and now we have four children and are on our feet again. Arthur Theobald He was a rancher. Mother used to drive milk cows down by the river and stay all day. Grandma! Said are you hungry? Bashful, yes, I am hungry. Got me lunch. Dish of tomatoes. I started to eat and there was a worm in it. I couldn't eat the tomatoes. I didn't tell her about the worm, but just that I guess I wasn't hungry or had enough. Had a black currant patch and was fenced. Door on the front with lock. If you get out and help I will unlock the gate and let you eat. That was a treat. We would work heads off and then get to eat currants. Arthur James Talbot Moved from Leamington to Hinckley. Had a hard time to buy a farm.He didn't have any money.He did get a farm about a mile east of Hinckley. He didn't have any machinery or team so Uncle Will's father ran the freight line and had horse and harnesses so father went to him and asked if he could help him out. He said I have a team I'll let you have and harnesses and you can pay me when you get the money. He had single buggy that he courted Mother in. How did Grandma feel about someone so old courting Mother? Seemed pleased. Had quite a lot of property in Hinckley. Ground got water logged. Could dig a hole at night and by morning would be full of water. Crops died. Grandfather wanted him to go to Oak City so sold out in Hinckley and moved to Oak City. Cost too much to drain at that time. Later the ground dried out in a drought and they had to fill drains with water. In Oak City Father took over grandfather's farm. First ones ever to break ground and clear land for farm where farm was north of Oak City. Had to put wire around the ground to keep the rabbits out. One of the best Hay fields we ever had. Three crops and sometimes 4 a summer. Thomas Benjamin Talbot Had a little money when they came to Utah. Used to loan money to people in need. Maybe 10,000 dollars. Really saved their money. Sold everything. Butter to Lynndyl and eggs and peddle and then saved their money. Moved to Leamington from Kaysville and them to Oak City. Moved trying find the best place to build a future. Rumors always spread about new places. When moved to Leamington people were so good to them. They would bring them beef every week. Found out they would rustle cattle and dress them out and throw the hide and entrails in the river and then divide up the meat. When they told Grandfather what they did he was upset. They said if he didn't join them he wouldn't get any more meat. He told them he didn't want any more if that is the way they got it. They moved to Oak City soon after that. Thomas Benjamin spoke several languages. Danish, Swedish, English, Africans, and others. (can't remember stories he told of South Africa) KIND OF PEOPLE. Knew them when they were older. They were frugal, liked to socialize. FREIGHT WAGON BELL Belonged to Thomas Benjamin Talbot. Went on the freight wagon perhaps when he was in Kaysville. When they came in to town rang bell and also on the road when they came to a curve, they rang the bell to warn someone coming the opposite way. Preston, Idaho in 1988 (Son of Hyrum Purcell Talbot) What did Henry Talbot do for a living? A. He was a farmer, also cattle and sheep. What did Hyrum Purcell Talbot do for a living? A. Also a farmer. What did Hyrum Purcell tell about South Africa? A. Snakes so big that if you sat on it, it would be like sitting on a big log. Boa constrictors. Get in tree. At night the Hyenas would howl and sound just like a ----------. Would go around the tree near the home.

Life timeline of Geraldine Hone

Geraldine Hone was born on 6 May 1927
Geraldine Hone was 4 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Geraldine Hone was 18 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Geraldine Hone was 28 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Geraldine Hone was 37 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
Geraldine Hone was 52 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Geraldine Hone was 56 years old when Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all time, was released. Michael Joseph Jackson was an American singer, songwriter, and dancer. Dubbed the "King of Pop", he was one of the most popular entertainers in the world, and was the best-selling music artist during the year of his death. Jackson's contributions to music, dance, and fashion along with his publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.
Geraldine Hone was 72 years old when Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado. The Columbine High School massacre was a school shooting that occurred on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School in Columbine, an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado, United States, in the Denver metropolitan area. In addition to the shootings, the complex and highly planned attack involved a fire bomb to divert firefighters, propane tanks converted to bombs placed in the cafeteria, 99 explosive devices, and car bombs. The perpetrators, senior students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher. They injured 21 additional people, and three more were injured while attempting to escape the school. The pair subsequently committed suicide.
Geraldine Hone died on 30 Apr 2005 at the age of 78
Grave record for Geraldine Hone (6 May 1927 - 30 Apr 2005), BillionGraves Record 10253 Benjamin, Utah, Utah, United States