Geraldene Ramsay Randall

1 Mar 1919 - 28 May 2008

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Geraldene Ramsay Randall

1 Mar 1919 - 28 May 2008
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Geraldene Ramsay Randall (1 Mar 1919 - 28 May 2008) at Monticello City Cemetery in Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Geraldene Ramsay Randall


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015


April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Geraldene Ramsay


Geraldene Ramsay Randall is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Geraldene Ramsay Randall (1919-2008) Autobiography

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I was born March 1, 1919 to Maud and Ralph Ramsay in Snowflake, Arizona. I was the seventh daughter - two little babies, Mabel and Ella, had died in infancy. I was named Geraldene, but that was soon shortened to "Gerry." My home was a happy one. I was adored and maybe a little spoiled by four older sisters, and my parents were kind and loved me. I would spend hours cutting from catalogues families that I named and played with. I started school when I was six years old. My first teacher was LaVerne Crandell. I graduated from the eighth grade under the principalship of Mr. Cook. School days had been fun days. Mingled with the serious side of learning, I participated in activities the school offered, as well as Primary, Sunday School, then Mutual being important to me. I was nearly five years old when my Mother had twins - Clara and Clarence. Those babies were so special to me and to all our family. I thought I was capable of doing all that was needed by two tiny babes. Four years of High School passed quickly, each year bringing challenges to make life more meaningful. New friendships were formed, social activities were enjoyed, and class competition was keen. Carmel Frost was my closest friend during our high School years. After graduation, I went to Fort Apache and worked at the Club House waiting table, doing dishes, etc. My wages were $1.00 per day. My sister, Ann, lived in Globe, and my sister, Emma, and family lived in Ft. Apache, so I didn't get too lonesome. I worked there during the summer, then in September returned home and worked for "Uncle Jim" Flake. I would read to him, and prepared dinner while August was at school. Mother and I went to Monticello, Utah with Jim and Eva Hatch. We stayed at Uncle Clarence and Aunt Seraphine's, and their nephew, Harry Randall, was working for them. Harry and I found we liked each other and soon found ourselves in love. I returned to Snowflake with my folks, and in December Harry came with a ring. We were married in the Arizona Temple in Mesa on December 13, 1938. A reception was given for us at Snowflake before we returned to Monticello to begin married life. We lived at the Frost home for six months before moving into a large one-room house. Our first baby daughter was born on February 12, 1940 in the hospital at Moab, Utah. We named her Ethel Lyn - Her Grandmother Randall's name was Ethel. We adored our little daughter. On February 20, 1941 we had our first son, and he was given the name of Harry Walter. we were proud of our children. Harry was working most of the time in the Flour Mill, but sometimes he'd take a load of flour to the Reservations or other places to sell. We moved into rooms upstairs in the mill, and were living there when our baby Ellen was born - she was named for her great Grandmother Smith. Ellen was born on February 25, 1943. February was our month for having babies. I was in the Primary Presidency or teaching in a Primary class from the time I was married until Gay was born. We had moved from the mill into a house we bought from Lloyd and Willie Barton - larger house, three bedrooms, large living room, bath, big kitchen, porches, and closet space. I really enjoyed that house - it was truly a home that had a lot of living in. Our fourth baby, a little girl, was born on April 24, 1944. She was a petite little girl with black hair and brown eyes. I had gone to the hospital in Moab when Lyn and Ellen were born. Harry Walter was born at Aunt Seraphine's house. Dr. Bayles and Bea Brady delivered Gay. Harry was in Snowflake. He had taken a load of flour, and was bringing Mother back to be with me when I was confined. Both Harry and Mother were surprised when they got back to find out that the baby had already been born. The baby was named Gaylia Maud - her Grandmother Ramsay's name was Maud. Harry and Lloyd had bought a shop and garage, and that combined with the Flour Mill, kept them real busy. Harry had assignments and positions in the church that he faithfully fulfilled, and both he and I have always been very active. The Whipple family moved to Monticello about 1940 and during the following years we shared special days with them. Always on Thanksgiving, they would come to our house. There was a feeling of closeness between our families. Mother, my sister Clara Jones, and little son bought a house across the street from us, and moved up to Monticello about 1945. Another daughter, Ruth, joined our family. She was born on May 7, 1946 at home. And on November 15, 1948 I went to the hospital in Monticello and gave birth to twins, both girls. One was still-born, the other one we named Clara. The one tiny babe was buried in Monticello Cemetery. Mother was with me, and she made little clothes and trimmed the little casket that Lloyd had made. Our baby girl, Emma, was born on June 16, 1950. Harry Walter wondered why she wasn't a brother. Our next three children were boys - Howard was born September 24, 1951. Ralph was born March 27, 1954, and Clinton was born August 5, 1956. They were a handsome trio of sons, full of life and fun. Jerri Ann, our youngest, was born on November 16, 1958, bringing added love to our family and home. Eleven children to call us Father and Mother - and we are so thankful for every one of them. We bought a larger house - one that Lloyd and Willie built. It had a full basement and upstairs besides the first floor. It was a larger house for a family of thirteen, and we all enjoyed it - the relatives and neighbors too - because everyone was welcome at the Randalls. Truly, there was a heap of living there! Harry operated the Little Theater and the Drive Inn in Monticello for a number of years, and sold them when we went to Arizona. they provided good opportunities for work for our children. Harry was in partnership with his brother in the Motor Parts Supply Company. The older children graduated from High School, then went to various colleges. Lyn went to college in Logan and met Dean Barker. They were married on December 28, 1960, and live in Salt Lake City. They have a nice home, and four precious children - three girls and one boy. Harry Walter went to Utah State in Logan for one year, then went on a mission to Holland for two years. Then he returned to Logan and graduated from college. He married Wanda Ison in the Arizona Temple in Mesa on June 16, 1967. They had three sons and three daughters and lived in Mesa, Arizona. Ellen went to Eastern Utah College in Price. She married Jack Kirby on August 27, 1972 in a home wedding. Bishop Bennion Redd performed the ceremony. Ellen and Jack had two children - a son and a daughter and lived in Monticello, Utah. She added another son in 1979. Gaylia went to college at Logan for one year, then to the University of Utah for one year. then she joined the services as a WAC. She married Walter Pribil, and they lived in Washington D.C. before coming to Arizona. They had two sons. Gay went to Glendale College and graduated with high honors after moving to Arizona. Ruth went to college in Ephraim two years, then to Logan where she graduated. She took training for Medical Lab Technician in Ogden; then went back to St. Joseph Hospital in Missouri, then worked in the hospital at Warner Robbins, Georgia. We missed her, as she was so far away and didn't get home except on vacation. Clara married Harvey Terry, and they lived in Moab, Utah. They had two children - a boy and a girl, and Clara had another baby, Ryan Todd, on June 7, 1974. Emma went to college at Price and met Sam Melo, and they were married on May 16, 1970. They had two children - a boy and a girl. Sam was in the U.S. Army, and they lived in Hawaii for a time. Howard went to Business College in Salt Lake City, then to one year at Logan before going on a mission to Columbia, South America. He married Callie Harris in the Arizona Temple in Mesa on January 19, 1974, and they lived in Monticello and then in Blanding. Ralph spent a summer in Mexico City studying the Spanish Language. He went to Computer School in Phoenix and got a job in Phoenix after graduating from school. Ralph married Valerie Liaboe on November 17, 1973 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Howard was best man for his brother. Jerri Ann was one of Val's bridesmaids. Harry, Gerry, Jerri Ann and Howard went back for the wedding. They returned to Mesa just in time for Thanksgiving. Ruth and a friend had come from Georgia to spend Thanksgiving with her folks. Harry and Gerry bought a home in Mesa and moved down in time for Clinton and Jerri Ann to enroll in school. They were in the 13th ward, and their home was near the temple. Jerri Ann didn't have far to walk to school. Clinton drove to and from Mesa High School and Seminary. He graduated, and planned to enroll in Mesa Community College and go on a mission. Harry and Gerry were welcomed into the ward. They have a lot of relatives living in the Valley and throughout Arizona. Harry did a lot of temple work before it closed early in February. The Randalls returned to Monticello for the summer. Harry and Gerry worked as Stake Missionaries. Their friends are legion - to know the Randall family, is to love them! In 1977 Harry and I were fortunate enough to be called as temple workers in the Mesa Arizona Temple. We had a home just a few blocks from the temple so it was a great opportunity to see many family members in both our home and at the temple. Eva lived just around the corner, and Stan and Ann would come see all of us. Grant and Clara would come from Snowflake. Dora had her home in Snowflake, too. Emma had her own home in Mesa, not far from ours also. Emma had such great love for everyone. Dora could entertain all of us with her fantastic sense of humor. (While we were in Mesa it became necessary for me to have some surgery. One of the doctors told us that if we were unable to pay, the county could help. Dora spoke right up and said that would never be, she would pay for it herself if that was necessary.) That was one of the best times of my life, living close enough to see my sisters more often. Emma, Ann, and Dora all passed away while we had our home in Mesa. I have missed them so much. We worked in the temple for 11 years. Harry was set apart as a sealer in 1980 by N. Eldon Tanner. He has been able to seal a number of our children and grandchildren in the Mesa and other temples. During this period we were able to return to Monticello many times while we had our temple calling. We took a leave of absence from the temple when the government informed us they would be "fixing" our radioactive house (mill tailings from the uranium mill had been used in the mortar). We rented the house across the street and watched as the outside walls of the house were taken down and replaced. It was rather strange to have to put on a hard hat and sign in before coming on our own property, especially after living in the house for over twenty years after first being notified of the radioactivity. One of our most special trips back to Monticello occurred when Howard called to say he was going to be sustained as bishop of Blanding First Ward. After we were released as temple workers, we stayed in Mesa a few more years. We enjoyed going to the temple as patrons then. Age caught up with us and we felt it best to sell our home in Mesa and return full time to Monticello. How thankful we were when President Hinckley announced Monticello would have the first of the smaller temples. Harry has spent many happy hours attending sessions there. He was especially happy to be able to perform the marriage for Ellen's son, Brian, in our new temple. We still enjoy company and visit with Clarence and Shirley often. It is good they now have the opportunity of working as ordinance workers in the Monticello Temple. We enjoy our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, even though they are scattered across the country. Our children have been so good in taking care of us. To end this update, we were able to return to Snowflake, where it all began for me, in February of 2002 to attend the open house for the new Snowflake Temple. What a beautiful temple this is! The house where we grew up, just on the corner of Clara and Grant's house, is still there, now filled with "antiques". Our daughters, Ellen and Clara, along with Grace, went just a few days after we got back. They went into the home and Grace explained to them how it was when she lived there. They were surprised just how small it was, but Grace assured them how much love had been inside that house and how many people had enjoyed living with Maud and Ralph Ramsay. It reminded me again how grateful I am for both my heritage and my progenitors. Aleta's footnote: Gerry and Harry Randall lived productive, long, full and faithful lives, loved by all who knew them. Gerry Randall died May 28, 2008 in Monticello, Utah. Harry waited almost a month, enough time for Gerry to visit with all her loved ones waiting on the other side, then suddenly passed away June 26, 2008 and joined her. They are buried together in the Monticello cemetery next to their Baby Girl Randall.

Talk given at Grandma Randall's funeral by Colleen Kirby Low

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Tribute to Grandma Randall How truly honored I am to stand here today and pay tribute to such an elite lady of God. A woman that I love dearly and who has influenced not only mine, but all of our lives in countless ways. Many of you knew her as mom, Aunt Gerry, friend or neighbor, but I knew her as Grandma. I always felt so blessed to grow up so close to her and spend so much time in her home. There is a special feeling of peace and love that is found there. It simply exists because of the love grandma and grandpa have for each of us and one another and also because of the way they lived their lives. I’m not sure how to come to Monticello anymore because the first thing I always did after stopping at my parents was to go down to Grandma’s and let her know we had made it safely. There’s nothing better than walking into Grandmas. Picture the scene with me. You all have done it dozens of times. You walk up the stairs onto the back porch and there’s some kind of produce sitting there. It could be apples, apricots, corn, tomatoes, always something waiting to be cooked. You walk through the laundry room and there is grandma standing in the kitchen by the stove or the sink. She’s wearing a dress with an apron on. She has a pot of beans, a batch of jam, or a pan of hot fresh rolls out of the oven. At Thanksgiving time there is always squash in a colander waiting to be made into pie and it smells so good. When she sees you, she drops everything to give you the best hug ever and say “Well, hello honey, I’m so glad you’re here.” After a couple of bites of whatever she’s cooking and telling her about you’re trip, then you go and find grandpa and hug him too. Back when grandpa remembered me I loved hearing “Well there’s my Colleeny girl, come give grandpa a hug.” There’s no possible way to think of grandma without also thinking of grandpa along side her. Growing up in Monticello meant that when anyone came to visit we got to be there and visit too. How many Barbie Houses were made in her basement, Or what about ping pong or hop scotch games on the cement floor. I loved having picnics in the Oaks. You could swing forever and try to get high enough for your feet to just barely reach the branches of the oak trees in front of you or play in the tree house. It was always fun to see what could we make the tree house into? Mike and Brent and Stuart always wanted a rocket ship. Allison, Lisa, Rochelle and I wanted it to be a house and we would battle back and forth. Grandpa would get out the propane grills and cook hotdogs and hamburgers, and grandma would bring down lemonade, a macaroni salad, and watermelon, so many good times were had down there. Some of my earliest memories in life are those of playing matchbox cars underneath a quilt being tied in her living room. Those of you from my generation will remember the money box full of cars that were kept in her entry way closet. You could park them around the base of the quilting stands or make a train underneath the fabric. It was always a bit of a bummer when they rolled the quilt because then your train couldn’t be as long. I cherish the quilt grandma made for me on my high school graduation day. It is now worn and has been patched multiple times. When she saw how bad it had gotten last summer, when I brought it home for my mom to help patch it, she and my mom made me a new one and sent it to me this spring. I love it and it is now on my bed. The original will never be thrown away because it came from grandma and has “Colleen” embroidered on the corner. In fact I’ll bring it back this summer for some more patches. I loved spending alone time with her and learning of her life experiences and wisdom. One Christmas we were visiting and I commented on how pretty her tree looked that year. I’ll never forget her response. She said “You know, when my kids were all little and it was time to decorate the tree and there were all those little hands helping me, I used to wish that I could just do it all myself. But when I was putting everything on this year all by myself, I couldn’t help but wish that I had a couple of those little hands helping me once again.” I’ve often thought of that as I’ve had little hands helping me. I was so grateful she was there the day I went through the temple for the first time. It was a little overwhelming and unexpected. I had her on one side and my mom on the other. I’ll never forget her words of encouragement and support. I treasure the packet she made for me to hold my temple clothes. Every time I use it, it reminds me of her and being in the temple with her that day. In Matthew 5:16 it says “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” I think of how brightly Grandma’s light shone. Although she would never admit or think that it did. She was the most Christ like person I know. She loved each and every one of us unconditionally regardless of our social standing, the amount we carried in our bank account, or our church activity. She loved us because we were her family. She was totally unselfish. She was the last one to eat, she took the most uncomfortable chair in the room, and made due with what she was given. She was the first one cleaning up after meals and the last one standing drying dishes. This very past Thanksgiving she and I were at the sink washing dishes and I tried and tried to get her to go in and rest but she never stopped until it was finished. When visiting my parents, we would never call down and ask if she wanted us to go to the store for her, because she would say “No”. We’re fine. We always said “we’re going to the store do you need anything.” That way if she did she would tell us and wouldn’t be putting us out to make an extra trip for her. She never spoke badly of anyone. I remember one time being in her home when someone was being talked about in a negative way, and grandma interjected something positive about them. In fact the only time I remember her saying something bad about someone was the time she was tending me and I was outside playing with the neighbors and I came in crying because Rindy Topance had hit me in the head with a rock. She gave so much service. She took food to people, she let everyone stay at her house and then cooked for them. She remembered birthdays and sent cards and letters of encouragement. She served as Relief Society president twice. She endured to the end especially with grandpa. Grandma’s testimony wasn’t shouted from the roof tops, it was shared in the way she lived her life. I think her greatest accomplishments are those in this room today. Her children. I have never known better people who love and care for one another and those around them as they do. Of course they do, look who taught them. As we left grandma’s home each night to go back to my mom and dad’s house, she would always follow us out. She would turn on the carport light and stand at the corner of the back porch and watch as we backed out of the drive way. I like to think of her there, watching out for our safety. I truly feel that she will always be watching over each of us. How grateful I am for the knowledge that only her body has died. Her beautiful spirit lives on and has gone beyond the veil to celebrate with her loved ones there. They are so lucky to have her. It gives me peace to know she’ll be there waiting for me some day. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and older brother Jesus Christ who made this possible for me. I am very blessed to have been born to a mother, who was raised by my dear Grandmother Randall. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Harry and Jerry's First Christmas

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Alone, Together Christmas "Wilford, Wilford, came look out the window. Doesn't that look like Harry & Jerry to you?" Peaking around the Christmas wreath hung on the inside of the window and trying to see through the startling silver-white designs of Jack Frost on the' outside, Wilford looked out into the cold night. There weren't any street lights in the small Mormon community but the dim outline of a young couple showed through the cold window pane. A light snow was falling as the couple continued their journey toward Wilford and Theresa's. "Yes, Theresa, it does look like them. I hope nothing's wrong with Jerry. Do you think maybe the baby's going to cane early? It's not due until February, didn't you say?" "No, oh, I hope it's not the baby, with it being their first, everything has to be alright. Open the door, let's get them inside by the fire. With both their head hung down and their arms around each other, they look so cold." Harry and Jerry were just up to the porch of the house as Wilford opened the door. How warm and inviting the front room looked! The kids had strung popcorn all around the tree. The red and green candles on the mantel and on the chest by the couch gave such a warm glow and pleasant fragrance to the room. The popcorn ball Christmas tree with its red hot candies and gun drops scattered about looked so good sitting in the middle of the pine-bough topped piano. It looked like a home for Christmas. "Come in, come in. Is everything all right? Is everything okay? What brings you out walking on such a cold, snowy night?" "Now, just slow down, Aunt Theresa. Everything's all right," answered Harry as he lovingly helped his bride of just over a year off with her coat. "You see, this is our first Christmas alone together. Utah's a long way from Arizona, especially at Christmas time. "I came home from the mill tonight and Jerry was feeling awfully pregnant and awfully lonesome at Christmas. We just want to be with family for Christmas. Do you think you'd have room for us tonight?" Aunt Theresa remembered the lonesome feelings of being a newlywed away from family at Christmas. How her heart swelled with pride that Harry and Jerry would cane to lighten their homesickness at her house! How grateful she was for the warm fireplace, the freshly cut pine tree, the joyfully decorated roan and the warm feelings among those in the room. "Of course, we'd love to have you anytime, especially tonight. You just stay as long as you like. Wilford, let's get sane hot apple cider going. They need something to warm their hands." Uncle Wilford and Aunt Theresa didn't have a big house, but it was a family home. The hand sewn quilts spread out on the floor in front of the fireplace for Harry and Jerry that night were just as nice as any big four poster bed. Those "I'm-lonesome-for-mother" feelings were almost pushed away as Jerry had family for Christmas.

Geraldene's Life History - Typed by Gay Turley for DUP

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Contributed By Jerri Ann Peterson · 6 April 2015 Edit Story Life Sketch of Geraldene Ramsay Randall I was born March 1, 1919 to Maud and Ralph Ramsay in Snowflake, Arizona. I was the seventh daughter. I was named Geraldene, but that was soon shortened to "Gerry". My home was a happy one, I was adored and maybe a little spoiled by four older sisters. My father's mother lived with us in our tiny, two-roomed home. She had the front room. Emma, my oldest sister, would often sleep with Grandma in her high bed. She had three mattresses on it; one a feather, one a com stalk, and one a straw. Each year we would have to redo all the mattresses. It was also my job to put oil on the bed each week to keep the bedbugs out. As a young girl, I spent many hours cutting from catalogues. I had cut-out families I would name and play with. As we did not have much money we had to learn to make our own fun. My mother was Relief Society president in Snowflake for many years. She never owned a car but would walk many miles around town to take care of the needs of the sisters and families in the town. During the meetings she would take me to, I would sit on the floor and wonder which of the ladies had used soot to polish their shoes or which had used shoe polish to shine them. When I was nearly five years old, my mother had twins, Clara and Clarence. After seven girls, we were so [delighted to have a boy in the family. Clarence was a blue baby, a nice way to say he was deprived of oxygen during labor. This meant he required a lot of attention. The whole family loved to give it to him; even as a five year old, I thought I was capable of doing all that was needed for those two tiny babies. During my school years I especially enjoyed home economics. Each girl had to make a quilt. With no money to be had for material, my quilt was pieced together from dresses from family and friends. Since then I have loved to piece quilts. We had one electric light hanging from a single socket in Grandma Ramsay's room. If I would get al of my ironing done in one sitting, I could use the electric iron. If not, out would come the old flat irons. After graduation from high school, I went to Fort Apache and worked at the Club House, waiting tables; doing dishes etc. My wages were $1 a day. My sister Ann (Shaw) lived in Globe and my sister Emma (Whipple) lived in Ft. Apache so I didn't get too lonesome. After the summer was over, I returned home and worked for "Uncle Jim Flake. I would read to him and prepare dinner while his wife, Augusta, was teaching school. In the summer of 1938, Mother and I went to Monticello, Utah with my sister Eva (Hatch) and her husband Jim. We stayed at Uncle Clarence and Aunt Seraphine's (Frost) house. Their nephew, Harry Randall, was working for them. Harry and I found we liked each other, which soon turned to more than just liking each other. It was a summer courtship and by the fall he asked me to marry him. I was nineteen. Still, I had to return to Snowflake with my folks, but, as decided earlier, Harry came to get me in December. He didn't have a car so had borrowed one. It broke down on the way to Snowflake. With no telephones to let me know why he was later than we had planned, I was sure he had decided not to marry me I cried, sure I was going to be alone. He finally arrived, I wiped my tears and we were married in the Arizona Temple on Dec. 13, 1938. We had a small wedding reception. I remember our most expensive wedding present was a sheet, given to us by Dr. Heywood. Uncle Clarence and Aunt Seraphine gave us one room in their house to live for the first six months of our married life. After that we moved into a large, one-room house. (This later became the Clytie Barber house, behind Bernice Nielson's. She added on to it.) We did not have running water or indoor plumbing in that house. We would haul water inside, heat it on he stove, and take turns with our baths. Our first baby, Ethel Lyn, was born to us while Je lived there. She was born in the Moab hospital in February of 1940. Just a year later, again in February, I was quilting at Aunt Seraphine's house with a group of women When went into labor with our second child, Harry Walter. Sister Charles Walton helped with the delivery, right there at Aunt Seraphine's. Mel Frost came in and cut my garments off so they could get them out of the way. Soon after Sonny (as we called him for many years) was born the doctor came and retied the cord closer to the naval and pronounced everything fine. Aunt Theressa Frost took Lyn to her house for the ten days I remained at Aunt Seraphine's. Harry was working for the CA. Frost Company at the mill. I would leave Lyn on the floor of our house with a bottle of buttons to string and walk the five or so blocks, carrying Sonny, to take Harry his lunch. Needless to say, I didn't dare stay and eat with him. Many times Harry would take a load of flour to the reservation or other places to sell. I would not know just where he was, or when he would be home. Because of his work at the mill, we were able to move to the room upstairs the mill. We still didn't have indoor plumbing but ha4 to use the outhouse behind the mill. By this time, Ellen had also been born. I would no sooner get the three children settled and think I could run down the stairs to go to the bathroom when a farmer would come in with his load of wheat to be unloaded. He would go to the outhouse to sit until Harry and Lloyd (Barton) had taken care of the load of whit. How grateful I was when Harry and Lloyd got a scale and a dump to make the process go quicker! The mill not only provided our living, the flour made our bread, the sacks it came in provided the material I for the shirts and dresses for the children. We would have to wait through several millings to get the same material to have enough for a dress and the girls would often tire of waiting for another piece to soak the label off before able to start their dress, but we were lucky to have the means to clothe them. When we first moved to the east of end town, above the mill, Nettie Redd came to welcome us with a pan of jello. That was such a treat for us, because we didn't have a refrigerator and could only have jello in the winter when we could set it outside in the cold and snow. This visit began a lifetime friendship between Nettie and me. She was a great lady. We were really pleased when Lloyd fixed us a shower down in the furnace room of the mill. It used the warm water coming from the cooling of the engine that ran the flour mill. Later, we had to recycle the water into a big tank. Both our children and Willie and Lloyd's children used this tank as a swimming pool. One time all the kids had got out of their "swimming pool" except Sonny (Harry Walter). They took the ladder away so he couldn't get out. Luckily, I heard someone saying, "I need someone. I need someone." I had to go to the mill to get Harry to get our very water-logged son out of the pool. Before Gaylia Maud, our fourth child, was born we were able to move into a house just to the north of the mill. It seemed so big to us; it had an indoor bathroom, three bedrooms, a front room and a kitchen. The wash room was on the back porch. We took the front porch and added an entry room and a bedroom closet for the girls' bedroom. To the side of the entry room, we had a built-in desk and soon bookcases for Harry. The children would love to hide under the desk to "scare" Harry when he would come in from the mill. Bless his heart, he was always scared, and would take the youngest child and throw them up in the air. He always loved the children. The closet we put in the girls' room was used for many things. The girls would take everything off the shelves, climb up in them, and play like they were on the sleeper cars of a train. Gaylia was born at home with the help of Bea Brady and Dr. Bayless. Harry was in Arizona with a load of flour, and was to pick up my mother to come and help with the new baby. Both He and Mother were surprised to find out the baby had already arrived. Soon after Gaylia was born Ellen got very sick. She was sleeping with her dad since I was with the new baby. Harry felt her go into convulsions. Since measles were going around Monticello at that time, he wondered if she had come down with a case of that. When she began to shake and convulse the second time, Harry got up to go get grandma Ramsay. Grandma took Ellen and put her in a tub on top of the oil stove. Harry went up the street to get Bishop Redd to come and administer to Ellen, then went for Dr. Bayless. Dr. Bryless later told us that was the longest he had ever seen a child go into convulsions and live. They later determined she just had a very bad sore throat with a high fever. Later Ellen had to have her tonsils out. Both her and Lyn had them out in the theater, because that was where the doctor's office was then. We got our first car soon after Ruth was born. It was in 1946, just after the war. My brother in law, Stan Shaw, had a car dealership in Globe, Arizona. He was able to get two cars every four months to sell. We had been on a waiting list for a long time, but finally worked to the top of his list. We went to Snowflake, Stan had come from Globe, to pick up our new, robin-egg blue Studebaker. We had already outgrown it, with five children! When we go the car home to Monticello, Harry didn't have the patience to teach me to drive, so he paid my brother Clarence to teach me out on the wide open fields of the farm. Clara, Emma, and Howard were all added to our family . Clara had been a twin, during my pregnancy. I knew there was more than one baby, but the doctor felt there was just one. Soon after Clara was born, the nurse told the doctor she needed his help, there was another baby. It was too late and the other baby girl was dead. Mother was again there to help. She took our little baby and dressed it in the crocheted and embroidered white dress that my sister Dora had sent to have the new baby named in. She fixed up the coffin Uncle Lloyd had made and put our little girl in it. They brought the little casket and our baby down to the hospital for me to see her, then had a small home service and buried her in the cemetery while I spent my ten days in the hospital with our other twin. Harry and Lloyd built a shop and garage with two gas pumps to go with the mill they were running. They were no longer connected with the C.A. Frost company. In the early 1950's they decided, they better split up their partnership. Both Harry and Lloyd had large families by then and Lloyd wanted to be able to be in business with his sons. Lloyd took the mill and the house we had been living in, and we moved a block south to the three storied home Lloyd and Willie had began. Because of lack of materials and money, it was a much different house than what we live in today. The two sets of stairs had just slats on them, one could see from the uppermost step to the bottom of the basement. The basement had a fruit room, a furnace room (with no furnace), and two bedrooms. These rooms all had cement floors, but the big room had only a dirt floor. The main floor had an adobe bathroom. As money allowed, Morris Nielson fixed that bathroom for us. Since there was no furnace the big room on the main floor had an oil stove in it to heat the whole house. Later, were able to get a gas furnace for the house. Tom Jones and Bruce Sparks installed it for us. The big room with the dirt floor downstairs was a great place to dry clothes in the winter. The dirt floor also made a great place to play marbles and many other games. Once, probably more, some of the kids built a fire there while they were playing pioneers crossing the plains. In 1960 when Harry Walter went to Holland on his mission, Ernie Sondreggor poured the cement for the basement. Howard, our second son and seventh child, was just a baby when we moved to this house. After breaking up the partnership with Lloyd, Harry had worked with Jay Nielson for awhile and then gone to work for the County Road Dept. with Roy Wood. They developed a great friendship. Roy would come down each Christmas to watch the younger boys open their Christmas presents, knowing it would be Tonka trucks, graders, etc. It was hard to support a family of our size on Harry's $250 a month salary, however, so about 1953 we purchased the theater from the Foys. Later we bought the drive in from Max Dalton and B6d Corbin. Harry would work during the days and then go run the theaters at night. We also had jobs for our children; they learned to work at both places but would often complain their perfume was popcorn! Ralph's first word was money, which he learned as we would count out the coins from the theater each night on top of our bed. Clint enjoyed running the machines at the theater. He took a lot of responsibility for putting up the speakers each summer for the start of the drive in. I would work at the theater and Harry would take the drive in. After finishing at the theater, I would then go to the drive in to sell tickets for the late show. That was my quiet time; I would sit at the ticket booth and watch the shooting stars fall out of the sky. I could also get in some reading time there. It as still nice when school started and we could close the drive in for the winter. Our last baby, Jerri Ann, was born while we owned the theaters. Not only did we have to have children to work the theaters, but we had to have one be the babysitter at home. We were thankful to be able to teach our children to work and to have responsibilities. The children continued to grow. Harry went to work with Earl at Motor Parts. They were able to buy the business and worked at a partnership for many years. One year Harry and I were able to go on a trip to Hawaii with a group of fellow NAP A owners. Here I learned how set I apart I really was from the rest of the world. Some might call it sheltered. But the truth was I was so uncomfortable in the company of these people whose standards differed so much from my own. Though the islands were beautiful, my home and my people sit at the feet of Blue Mountain. Two years before Clint was to graduate from high school, we were able to purchase a home in Mesa. The two youngest graduated from Mesa High School. Harry and I were fortunate enough to be called as temple workers. We had sold the theaters in Monticello, and Howard was able to take over the Motor Parts business. We worked in the temple for 11 years. What a highlight of our lives this work was for us. Harry was set apart as a sealer by Pres. N. Eldon Tanner in 1980. He has been able to seal some of the children and grandchildren in several of the temples. In addition to being a temple worker, I had many other jobs in the church. I received my 20 year pin for working in the primary. Two times I was called as Relief Society president. The first time my counselors were Marilyn Rowley and Carol Chapman, with Arlene Auble as our secretary. The second time Lorraine Wescott and Desiree Rhoades were my counselors with Veda Mahon as the secretary. I enjoyed serving with these sisters. When I was Relief Society president the first time, Stell Nielson was the Relief Society president of the other ward. We were great friends, a friendship forged of shared experiences and the fact that we were stronger together than alone. We both had children about the same ages, and we were both so poor. In those days the Relief Society was still having bazaars to earn money. Stell would take the money their ward earned at the bazaars and tie it into a rag hide it in her ironing. She knew no one would bother it there! I miss Stell. She died while we were in Mesa. Someday though, she and I again can find ways to outsmart our husbands while hiding treasure in places they'll never know. I hope eternity is like that. Nauvoo was a dream come true. Gay and Korrin took us there in the late 1980s. As I crossed the Mississippi River I expressed how I never thought I would get to do this. And while they could not get me to cross it by boat, retracing the steps of my family was like coming home to a place stolen, and now made whole. Today the Nauvoo Temple completes the triumph and I am so proud of all those who went before me, and all the members of my family today who add to the strength of the church. Together we all made that temple our testament to the Lord. Our children have increased our enjoyment of life. Besides our eleven living children, we now have 43 grandchildren and 53 great grandchildren (2002). What a legacy we have! I think back to Grandpa Ramsay, who carved the Eagle Gate and many other things, including the big bed that is on display at the DUP museum in Salt Lake. He was just one of the pioneers that made it possible for me to join DUP in 1947. Kate B. Carter was the president. My membership number is 18018. I am grateful for my both my heritage and posterity. I express thanks to my Father in Heaven for my testimony of the Gospel and the things I have learned in this life. My friendships with members of the community and the DUP have greatly enhanced my life.

Life timeline of Geraldene Ramsay Randall

Geraldene Ramsay Randall was born on 1 Mar 1919
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 1 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 21 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 25 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 39 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 46 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 58 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 61 years old when Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage. Mount St. Helens or Louwala-Clough is an active stratovolcano located in Skamania County, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. It is 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Portland, Oregon and 96 miles (154 km) south of Seattle, Washington. Mount St. Helens takes its English name from the British diplomat Lord St Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver who made a survey of the area in the late 18th century. The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes. This volcano is well known for its ash explosions and pyroclastic flows.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall was 71 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Geraldene Ramsay Randall died on 28 May 2008 at the age of 89
Grave record for Geraldene Ramsay Randall (1 Mar 1919 - 28 May 2008), BillionGraves Record 13422330 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States