George Theobald

22 May 1848 - 3 Feb 1942

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

George Theobald

22 May 1848 - 3 Feb 1942
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

George Theobald was born 22 May 1848 at Newport, Isle of Wight, England. He was christened in St. John, Carisbrooke, [Isle of Wight] Hampshire, England. He was the fourth child of eventually ten children born to William Theobald and Martha Lane. When he was 2 years old his parents were converted to

Life Information

George Theobald


Hinckley City Cemetery

524-528 W 1750 N
Hinckley, Millard, Utah
United States


December 11, 2012


December 7, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of George


George Theobald is buried in the Hinckley City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Theobald, George History (told by himself)

Contributor: Jbliss Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

George Theobald was born 22 May 1848 at Newport, Isle of Wight, England. He was christened in St. John, Carisbrooke, [Isle of Wight] Hampshire, England. He was the fourth child of eventually ten children born to William Theobald and Martha Lane. When he was 2 years old his parents were converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and were baptized. The family which now consisted of 5 Children; Drusilla, Arthur, Clara, George and baby Ruth made preparations to immigrate to America to join with the other 281 Saints, on the ship George W. Bourne. They left their home in Newport and sailed from Liverpool on the 23 of January 1851 and after a nearly 2 months ocean voyage they arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana on March 20. After their arrival in America they traveled up the Mississippi River and overland to Omaha, Nebraska, and then made their way to Council Bluffs to begin their journey across the Plains. William bought a wagon and team of oxen and prepared to journey west. They traveled with the Easton Kelsey Company Here William recounts an interesting experience Here [Council Bluffs] we got our outfits to cross the plains. Here I must relate a dream or vision I had before I joined the Church and while I was investigating the principles of the gospel I dreamed there was Joseph he brought me across the plains and showed me all the camp grounds all along the road from the Bluffs into Salt Lake City, and very strange I never thought of my dream from the time I left England until I was helping to drive up our work oxen preparing to start across the plains and it all came to me like a flash that I had seen those cattle before in a vision. Along the road I knew the camp grounds and when I came to the point of rocks at the mouth of Emigration Canyon I knew it perfectly. Joseph brought me unto the bench east of Salt Lake City and pointed with his hand and said there is Salt Lake City, and I was left there along [alone]. The trip across the plains was an interesting adventure for a 3 year old. They would often killed a deer or bear for food to supplement their supplies. One time he remembered seeing a buffalo stampeded, “I was only three but I think I remember it, if not, it was made so plain to me that I have always carried the picture of it in my mind.” The family arrived in Salt Lake City in early October of 1851, It had been nearly 7 months since they left their home in England. George tells more about the journey: “ Our mode of travel was by ox-team or cows. Our houses were lighted by candles made by a piece of cotton dipped in melted tallow, this was called a ‘bitch’. There were no matches to be had so we took two pieces of flint and would rub them together to make a spark to light the candles. The only fuel we had was wood and quaking aspen. We ate green nettles, pig weeds, thistles and segos, all the first year. The worst year was the one before the army came into Utah [1857], that year we nearly starved to death.” “For clothing we wore buckskin shirts and pants. My father bought me an outfit but I fell into the creek and it shrunk to my knees, so I went without. “Golly those were hard times.” “Everybody including the little boys, all carried a scabbard and a knife at his side. Home spun suits came into use very early. These were made by the women folks. They took the wool, washed it, carded it, and spun and wove it, then made it into clothes for the men and boys.” “During the Walker rebellion I was only three years old, but I remember, being terribly frightened at the sight of some Indians I saw dressed as warriors. I had this impression of the Indians; they wore rabbit skins and a breech cloth and always carried bows and arrows, and they always ate lizards, and grasshoppers.” “Wild sego, poison and tame, were plentiful and it took some vivid experience to distinguish between them.” “Our family traded out team for land. Father made a plow out of a big forked stick, and we boys held it is place while our father pulled it; he fastened it to himself by a strap. We plowed two and a half acres that way and planted wheat. I always remembered that picture of my father doing the work of a horse. The plow was made from quaking aspen.” In the History of Martha Lane a story is told of Arthur and Clara that sums up the circumstances of the family.” “Martha sent Clara and Arthur to the Crumstead’s mill which was at the foot of City Creek Canyon to see if they could get the wheat ground and when it could be done. After trudging along the dusty road, they finally reached their destination, timidly knocking on the door, they asked Sister Crumstead if they could grind the grain. After being assured that it could be done at once, she aroma of freshly baked bread over came Clara, and Arthur had a hard time getting her to leave the house. He finally dragged her from the chair and started home. Not being able to resist the pangs of hunger and longer she broke away rom him, running back into the house she asked if she could please have some bread. The lady apologized for not offering them some, and wanted each to take a loaf home. However, being afraid of being punished for asking for it she refused, so the miller’s wife buttered a slice for each, which was soon gobbled up, and also another. Many years later Clara told her children about it, saying how she wished had taken some home when it given to her brothers and sisters. “There was a small store and a blacksmith shop in connection and there were found the farm implements used at that time. Most all of them were made by hand. There were rakes, plows, hoes, spades, scythes, cradles, and flails, these shops were the first industries that I remember.” “About where the first Ward Chapel in Salt Lake City now stands was a great big corral, where people camped. That was one of the first hotels in Salt Lake City. The first school I attended was in the old adobe school house in the first ward in Salt Lake City. It was used as a meeting house also. The benches were large logs of wood sawed in the middle and legs put in the ends with the rounded side down.” “I remember on school teacher names Foster. He was cross-eyed and impressed me very much because he was so cruel to us. He knocked us around, and his floggings were no trivial affair. The tuition was paid for with produce and work, and the teacher boarded around among the pupils. I remember the primer, first and second readers.” In 1857 flour was $1.00 a pound in Montana, but they could not buy it in Utah. George tasted his first sugar when in was 16 years old, in 1864, “I bought 25 cents worth and sat down and ate it up in a few minutes, all by myself.” George was well acquainted with Porter Rockwell. One day when George was alone in Emigration Canyon Porter rode up and ask “Bud, have you seen anyone going along here on horseback?” “Yes, I told him, “He had a six shooter in both hands but his horse was give out.” Rockwell said, “Come on fellows let’s go “ and they caught up with the thief, who had stolen $600.00 from a man in the desert and left him afoot. The man had made his way into the city and reported the robbery and Rockwell and four more men in a white top buggy had started out after the thief to bring him back to justice. When George was 9 years old he camped with a group of scouts where Lehi now stands. They had walked 20 miles to see Johnson’s army march into the Salt Lake Valley. He describes what he saw, “their uniforms and swords, their guns and buttons glistened in the sun made such a profound impression on my childhood mind that I never forgot it.” His mother died, trying to give birth to her 10th child when George was only 12 years old, leaving his father with 7 surviving children. Elizabeth Uren, a single woman with 2 children, was hired as a housekeeper to help William with the children. William and Elizabeth soon married and combined their households. When George was around 14 years old his father William was called to help settle Southern Utah is what was called the Dixie Cotton Mission. Life in southern Utah was difficult. Because of the ‘Utah War’ when Johnson’s Army arrived, and the frequent troubles with the Indians, George spent his youth keeping a vigilant eye out for trouble. He homesteaded near Pioche, Nevada, and says that for years he “had to sleep with one eye open to keep the water right I had on my ranch. “I didn’t kill anybody, but I was never driven off, and I never gave up till I good and ready.” He comments “While I was in Duncan’s Retreat, we were always being pestered by a gang of thieves driving off our horses and cattle, and stealing everything they could get their hands on. The officers made a haul and chased them into town. They had gone into hiding in a heavy clump of willows in the Virgin River bed; the river was a raging torrent and impassable. The officers were worn out and sent for me to go in and roust them out. They told me to pick someone to go with me, I chose Nate Badger. We went into he undergrowth. It was terribly thick, but we could see a large log and on each side was a dark object, we kept might still. We knew they would be tired and maybe were asleep. We called to them to throw up their hand, but they did not move. We called louder and then we blazed away and riddled the dark objects. They had hung their coats as a blind, and jumped into the river and reached the other side. They were well armed. On the other side was found a bundle of clothes and tracks leading out. After four days of near nakedness and starving they sent word that they would surrender. One of them was sent to prison for 12 years.” George worked in law enforcement, and had his fair share of chasing stage robbers, and thieves. In the fall of that year (or it may have been in the fall of the next year) eight of us were called into service one night at sundown. I was chopping wood when I was told be packed with food enough to last three days, and to be at Virgin City at 9:00 A.M. the next morning. By the time we had rounded up our mules and got them ready to pack, it was dark. We had to light up the meeting house with candles that we had borrowed from people in town. It was there where we packed our outfits. The others that were with us were Jacob Hamblin and his son Lyman, James Andrews, Joe Stratton, Hinsky Prince (they called him Wooly JoJud. Ab Stratton joined us later. We met at the appointed time and traveled all day and all night, reaching Pipe Springs the next morning and then was transferred to John Pierces Company. He divided us and sent eleven others to Moccasin Springs with directions to follow him if he were not there when they returned. I found he had taken some men and gone out into the desert on an Indian trail and was headed for the Colorado River. We reported to pierce, and for a month watched and guarded and carried grub. We passed over the ground fourteen times from Short Creek to Pipe Springs, while Pierce and his men scouted around and studied the situation. One trip we had a little pony for a pack animal. We put one hundred pounds of flour on her and left Short Creek about nine at night. During the journey the midget rolled down the mountain side and she could not be made to carry the load any longer. My company had to take the corn and I the flour and left the beef on the midget. We reached Pipe Springs at sunrise where we found that 30 men had been without food for 24 hours. A big fire was burning and each men made a dive into the flour sack, mixed his own cake, and then put it in the coals to bake. Then they cut off a piece of meat, put it on a forked stick, and fried it over the coals; they ate it half done. The horses were as glad to get their grain as the men were to get their bread. My supply train was called by the men the “Express”, and a delay in delivery was a great inconvenience. I had come to stay 3 days, and had been gone a month. The Militia had found nothing but an Indian trail and the men were ragged and worn. I had to borrow a pair of pants, mine had completely worn out. I told Pierce he must get me some more or I would have to go home naked. So about 4:00 P.M. we started home, deciding we would come back if necessary. When we come to the forks of the road where the owner of the pants turned off, I took them off and wrapped myself in my coat as good as I could, proceeded the rest of the way without any pants. The rest of the men were ragged and hungry and worn, but none of them were bare. When I reached home I had to wait for my step-mother to reconstruct some before I could appear. But I was to hungry, so I called for a blanket to wrap myself in and ate my supper while she sewed. The next day a man came up from Rockville, trying to drum-up a dance, but was having a hard time of it. He asked me if I was afraid to ride a bronco, to go find a fiddler. I tried it, then the fun began. He jumped a four pole fence, and a rock wall, and then I fell off, I got back on, however, and rode 6 miles. I found a fiddler and the dance went on. [I’m not sure if this happened before or after he and Naomi were married] He was ordained an Elder in the LDS Church in 1867, at the age of 19, and on March 18, 1874 he was married to Naomi Ruth Tanner in the old Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. She had been teaching school in Dixie when they became acquainted Naomi was the daughter of Sydney Tanner and Julia Ann Shepherd, both pioneer families corsses the plains and pioneered the settlement in San Bernardino California before settling in Beaver, Utah. Their first child, a daughter named Julia was born in December of that same year, in Beaver, Utah. Sometime after the birth of Julia the family moved from Beaver to Duncan’s Retreat, in Kane County, [now Washington County] Utah. Their next 5? children were born in Duncan’s Retreat, George was who only lived 3 months, Sidney William, named after both of his grandfathers lived 5 months, Martha, Edgar who only lived 5 months, Rollin who lived to be nearly 2 years old, and Harriet who was born 2 weeks after Rollin died. The community of Duncan’s Retreat was built near the Virgin River and was plagued with floods. George’s father William moved from Duncan’s Retreat in Though the family continued to rebuild when the floods came, when the town was virtually washed away they decided it was time to leave. In the last of the floods endured, the graves of at least some of their children were washed down stream and Naomi couldn’t bear to stay any longer. George and his brother Arthur took their families and moved to Millard County, first to the community of Deseret until the Deseret Ward was split in 1891 when they area they settled became known as Hinckley The couple who had welcomed 7 babies into their home, now only had 2 little girls. In 1896 George filed on a patent on a 1/4 section of land near where the town of Hinckley is. The area was originally called Deseret, and when the Deseret Ward was split the area the Theobald’s lived in was named Hinckley. George surveyed the town of Hinckley, dividing it into 14 block of 5 acres each. He also served the community as Water Master for 24 years. Utah communities were patterned after the New England towns, where the families lived inside the town itself, and the farms were located outside the town. This provided protection for the family, and greater sociality than was found in other parts of the west where the basic land development was in homesteads that tended to spread families out from each other. His home was in town and his land and orchard were outside of the town. George and Naomi had their remaining children in Millard County, Layfayette in Deseret, then John, Nettie May, Iva Naomi and Myron Lane were all born in Hinckley. John and Iva both died as babies. Naomi died the 11 Nov 1916 at the age of 62 and their youngest son Myron Lane, died 2 years later George continued to care for his land and was seen daily walking through town to his orchard that lay outside the town of Hinckley. He moved to Benjamin Utah before his death to live with his oldest daughter Julia Herbert. As George reminisced about his life he made this statement “Before 1866 I was in Duncan’s Retreat, Utah. The telegraphy station was located at Toquerville, about 12 miles from there.” “I remember well the horse and mule car in the early days. They would “Whoa” any time or place one called to them no matter for how short of a ride. I saw my first automobile in Hinckley in the fore part of the present century, the first train in 1888. I rode my first time in a train in 1891, In Salt Lake before going to Dixie I saw a lot of Theatrical Entertainment, these were local people as well as traveling troops.” “We moved to Hinckley, Utah in 1890 and helped to build the reservoir at the “Sevier Bridge at U B Dam. I served as water master for 24 years. The second house built in Hinckley was built by my wife and I. I cut all our grain by hand and the children helped to rake it so it could be bound. I always believed in being charitable and people were always kind with us too.” George Theobald, died February 3, 1942, at the age of 93, at the home of his daughter Julia (Theobald) Herbert. She wrote his autobiography as he dictated it. This has been re-written by Julie Bliss Hammons, in order to put events in more of a timeline as the original jumped back and forward in time as he told it.

George Theobald (22 May 1848 – 3 February 1942)

Contributor: Jbliss Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Aged Pioneer Passes George Theobald aged 93 died Tuesday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs Julia Herbert of Benjamin, Utah, from causes incident to age. He was born at Newport, Isle of Wight, England, May 22, 1848, to William and Martha Lane Theobald With his father's family he came to Utah arriving in Salt Lake City Oct. 3, 1851 crossing the plains in John Murdock's company. He experienced many hardships and privations the Saints had to pass thru in the early days of Utah. The first years they lived on greens made of nettle, pigweed and thistle without any bread. Clothing was as scarce as their food. He remembered very vividly tho only 9 years old, the coming of Johnson's Army into Utah. His mother died when he was twelve years old. In 1861 his father was called to settle the Dixie country and he went down there with the family, settling at Duncan's Retreat and Toquerville. During his young manhood he was enlisted in the militia to help protect the settlers from the Plede Indians who were always on the war path. Among the many important expeditions he accompanied Jacob Hamblin on his peace mission to the Indians, thru the southern part of Utah and to the Colorado river, being gone all winter. He went out with James Andrews company to recover the bodies of McIntyre and Whitmore who were killed by Indians near Pipe Springs. He also went with a posse to recover the bodies of Berry, his wife and another man who were killed by Indians. March 18, 1884 he was married to Naomi R. Tanner. They lived in Duncan till 1887 when they moved to Hinckley, which has been his home ever since. Twelve children were born to them. The surviving are Mrs Julia Herbert of Benjamin, Utah; Mrs Martha Gabbitas of Springville, and Fay Theobald of Hinckley, Utah. One sister, Amelia Slack of Toquerville. Also thirty-four grandchildren, 33 great grand-children, and 31 great-great-grandchildren. He has three grandsons and three great grandsons serving for the U.S. He was a stalwart, dependable citizen and a worthy member of the L. D. S. church. Funeral services will be held in the Hinckley ward chapel at 1 p.m., Saturday, Feb 7. The remains will lay In state from 10 o'clock to 1230 Saturday at the home of his son Fay Theobald at Hinckley. (


Contributor: Jbliss Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF WILLIAM THEOBALD I, William Theobald, born at Freshwater, Isle of Wight, England, March 31, 1813. My Father's name was John Theobald, who was born in Feversham, Kent, England, in the year 1776 and died in the year 1859, aged 83 years. Whose Fathers were supposed to have to England at the time of William the Conqueror. My Mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Doar(?) supposed to have been born about the year of 1781, in the Isle of Wight, England, who died 31 Oct 1825, aged 44 years. All I know about her Father or Mother's family is that her Father was called Esquire Doar. I had five brothers and four sisters as follows: The first brother born and died in infancy. I don't know his name, My sister Christian was born in the year 1805 at Freshwater in the Isle of Wight and married one Benjamin Smith and had by him four children; Benjamin, George, Percival, also one daughter who died when eight months old. Father, Mother and daughter all died inside eight months of consumption. Benjamin is also dead and I don't know if the others are alive or not. Benjamin died 27 April 1833 aged 28 years. My brother, John Baldwin Theobald, was born about the year 1807 at Freshwater, Isle of Wight and died 15 Jun 1886 in New Yealand, his family turned out bad. He was the Father of five Children. Caroline, my next sister was born in the year 1809. She never married. She died 23 April 1840 aged 31 years. My next sister, Mary, born in the year 1811 married a Mr. Stevens, who died at Freshwater in the Isle of Wight. She had by him seven or eight children. There is one of her sons in Scotland in the railway office there and one of her daughters married Benjamin Smither, her cousin. I was the next in the family, born in the year 1813, on the 31st of March at Freshwater, Isle of Wight. My next brother George Theobald was born in the year 1815 and died Dec. 21 in the year 1835, aged 20 years. Was not married. Charles was my next brother born in the year 1817 and died July 24 1865 the 48th year of his age. Married but had no families. My next brother was Thomas born in the year 1819 and died in the year 1876. He married a Miss Neucwood who had by him several children, boys and girls and are supposed to be alive at this date, Dec. 5, 1888. She married Isaac Bennett, a sea captain, who died in Valfoust of Yellow Fever. She has several sons and daughters. As for my Father's brothers and sisters, I know very little about them, only know he had several brothers and sisters. As for my Mother's brothers and sisters, there were several of each. One of Mother's sisters married a Mr. Newburn and another married a Mr. Bennett. Also Mr. Greggory of London married another of her sisters. As for the Doar family, they went into Wiltshire and I lost track of them, and as for my own private history as has been said, I was born 31, March 1813 at Freshwater, Isle of Wight, county of Hampshire, England. I worked on my Father’s farm until I was about twelve years of age, when my mother died and Father married again, and at the age of sixteen I was bound for five years to Mr. Barton to learn the trade of carpenter and wheelright, at which I worked until I was 23 years old, when I shipped on board Princess Charlett, a British Man of War of 120 guns, commanded by Captain Finshaw. The Admiral’s name was Sir Robert Stockford. Here I worked as a ship's carpenter until the year 1840, during which time I served at the siege of Bayroat, which took place in the year 1839. We remained along the coast of Asseria and Egypt. I received a medal for good service, then afterwards I was at the siege of St. Jeanicare which took place on the 9th day of Nov. 1839. We remained along the coast until the Egyptian troubles were over and settled. The Turkish fleet was turned over to their own government again. Then we sailed for Portsmouth, England where we were paid off. Then I went to work at my trade again. While thus engaged, I became acquainted with Miss Martha Lane, who I married in the month of Aug. 1841. She was the daughter of William Lane and Martha Parish. She was born at Freshwater Isle of Wight, England, October 18, 1816 and I had by her the following children: Drucilla, born Oct. 22, 1842, at Freshwater, Isle of Wight. Our next child, a boy named Arthur, was born June 1, 1844. Next was a girl named Clara born June 15, 1846 at Newport, Isle of Wight. Next was a son who was born also at Newport, May 22, 1848. Next a girl that we named Ruth, who was born Sept 1, 1850 also at Newport, England. During these times I kept working at my trade, when one Paul Harison came along preaching the gospel, which pleased me, and I commenced to investigate the principles that he taught and I believed them true, and came to the conclusion to cast in my lot amount the people called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And was baptized in the year 1848 at South Sea common near Portsmouth, England. My wife Martha, was converted and baptized about one year before I was. I still continued to work at my trade until the year 1850 when I made arrangements to leave England and come to America, the home of the Saints and to that end we took passage on board the George William Bowen Ship of about 1000 tons burden and after a ten weeks passage, landed at New Orleans. Then we got on board a river boat and in two weeks landed at St. Louis, Missouri, where we arrived sometime in April 1851. We stayed there about two weeks, then started for Council Bluffs, where we arrived in May of that year where we got our outfit to cross the plains. Here I must relate a dream or vision I had before I joined the Church and while investigating and reading the Book of Mormon, which is as follows: While I was investigating and reading the Book of Mormon, I dreamed there was a large man came to me and he looked like Joseph Smith, and I thought it was Joseph. He brought me to see across the plains and showed me all the campgrounds all along the road from the Bluffs into Salt Lake City and very strange, I never thought of my dream from the time I left England until I has helping to drive up our work, upon preparing to start across the plains, and it all came to me like a flash that I had seen those cattle before in vision and all along the road I knew the camp grounds and when I came to the point of rocks at the mouth of Emigration Canyon, I knew it perfectly. Joseph brought me to the bench East of Salt Lake City, and pointed with his hands and said there is Salt Lake City and I was left there alone. We joined Kelsies Company of one hundred and Allred's Company of fifty. We had three stampedes at one time and there was a woman and child killed. My oxen undertook to run. I took hold of my leaders horns and held them so that they could not get away, and thereby saved my team from a stampede. After one stampede we found our cattle twenty miles away. Oct. 3, 1851, we landed in the valley after a tedious journey. I then looked around to find a place where we could get to make our home, and at last found a place in the 1st Ward that I bought from a Brother York, for which I paid him three hundred. I then commenced work at my trade and I was called to join the police force, where I served until called to come South to Washington County. During this time I had another child born that I called Martha, for her mother. She was born Jan 20, 1853 and died Jun 9 1858 in Salt Lake City and shortly after this I met another calamity by the death of my wife, who was one among the best of women, on Aug 30, 1860. My wife was in child birth, the child not being born. Her and the child were committed to the silent tomb in Salt Lake City, there to await the resurrection of the just. I found myself alone with my children and as it is not good for man to be alone, I looked for another companion. I must here state, which must here be stated because it has been omitted to come in the proper place, that a little over a year before the death of my wife Martha, we had another born to us that we named Francis Theobald, born Jan. 24, 1859. Accordingly as I had been looking around to find a housekeeper, Mrs. Hardy directed a woman to me that had come in along with the handcart company. By good providence she came to be my housekeeper. Her name was Elizabeth Uren, a woman who had been married before and had some children, and as she needed a Father for her children and I needed a Mother for my children, we concluded to be married and on the 24 of Nov, 1860, we went to the Council House, and were married. We were also sealed in the President's office by Brigham Young. We continued to live in the 1st Ward until I was called to Dixie. I had a child by my wife Elizabeth and we name Charlott. It was still born but came to this world on 14 Aug, 1861. In this same year we left Salt Lake City and came South and took up our resting place at Duncan's Retreat, on the Rio Virgin River. Here our next child was born named Ann, born 21 June 1862. We there made us a good place although we had to work very hard to keep the terrible floods that often came down from washing us away, which we did and after living at Duncan's Retreat about ten years and finding that our farm and orchard was washed away by the succeeding floods and my house was in danger, I came to the town of Toquerville where I bought a place and made another home. This took place in the year 1871. I bought a place and settled here, and on the 23 Mar 1864 another girl was born to us, who we named Mary. Our next child a girl that we named Amelia, born 2 Feb 1867, a boy named William, buried at Duncan's Retreat. I then moved my family to Toquerville in 1871 and after settling my family as comfortable as possible under the circumstances, I concluded to visit my old home where I was born, and see my relatives and friends once more. Accordingly on 6 June 1872 I left for England taking the train for Ogden, thence to Omaha and New York, where I took passage on board the S. S. Montana, where after ten day sail I arrived in Liverpool. I went from there to the Isle of Wight, found my sister Mary, and many of my old friends and enjoyed my visit. Before returning home and about the time I arrived in Salt Lake City, I had another child born to me which we named Leanora Caroline, born Aug 12, 1872 about 12 o'clock in the day in the town of Toquerville, Washington County Utah. (Obtained from the records of Clara Elizabeth Theobald Talbot, now deceased. The records were in the hands of Alice Memmott also now deceased.) Typed for FamilySearch by Glenda Talbot Wulfenstein Young

George Thebold and family

Contributor: Jbliss Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

His family came west with the Easton Kelsey Company 1851.

Life timeline of George Theobald

George Theobald was born on 22 May 1848
George Theobald was 11 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
George Theobald was 21 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
George Theobald was 32 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
George Theobald was 37 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
George Theobald was 45 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
George Theobald was 57 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
George Theobald was 66 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
George Theobald was 80 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
George Theobald was 91 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
George Theobald died on 3 Feb 1942 at the age of 93
Grave record for George Theobald (22 May 1848 - 3 Feb 1942), BillionGraves Record 2717282 Hinckley, Millard, Utah, United States