George Knott Jenkins

23 Dec 1862 - 2 Dec 1947

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

George Knott Jenkins

23 Dec 1862 - 2 Dec 1947
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of George Knott Jenkins (23 Dec 1862 - 2 Dec 1947) at Parker Cemetery in Parker, Fremont, Idaho, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

George Knott Jenkins


Parker Cemetery

401-417 North Center Street
Parker, Fremont, Idaho
United States


October 27, 2011


October 26, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of George Knott


George Knott Jenkins is buried in the Parker Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Alice Smithurst Jenkins

Contributor: danoble1 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My ancestry on both sides were of English descent. My Grandparents on my father’s side were William Smithurst and Mary Ann Carr, who lived at Mansfield-Woodhouse, Nottingham, England, a little nook by that name, and my Grandparents on my mother’s side were Henry Kemp and Ann Lyman, who lived in the little settlement of Blackhills and later moved to Bleakhills only about one half mile apart. My father, John Smithurst, was born about 1840, my mother, Sarah Kemp, was born May 29, 1844 in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England. Mother joined the Mormon Church when she was about 15 years of age, making the Church only 29 years old when she was baptized. I was born of goodly parents in faraway England in the town of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England on the 31 August 1866. I was the third child, the first one a little girl named Emma who only lived a few months, the second a little boy named William, who at the present time lives in Tasmania, and has sons and daughters of his own. Then I came next and was christened Alice. The fourth was another little boy, Henry, who also died in babyhood. I want to say a little of the life of my father and mother. They were not happy together, so they decided they would each go their way and Mother was left with us two children; in the course of time she married again as did my father also. To that marriage came four more children, Lucy Ann, Mary, Jane, and Harriet making eight children for mother. This marriage was not very happy either as he was a very poor worker and could not support his family; consequently as soon as mother could leave the children she had to go to work to support them and herself. Because of her marrying outside of the church she could not live her religion as she should and would like to and she finally drifted somewhat from her church, but she did not forget me. When I became old enough it was my dear mother who first took me to my church services. She was a good friend to me and did try to teach me how to take care of myself and keep myself clean from the sins of the world. I will say my mother’s married life was anything but happy, but she withstood and carried on the best she could. Father was an Iron-foundry worker and died as near as I can figure out about 1877 or 78. As my parents separated before I was old enough to understand, I did not know much about him, but I had the Temple work done for him and mother and had them sealed for all eternity, but if it is not right they do not have to accept it; they have their choice there as well as here, but I think they have better judgment there. I lived and grew as all children do and gradually came to the years of accountability. I can remember in my childhood days of being taken by the hand to Church by my dear old Grandmother, Ann Kemp, and also by mother to the Mormon church. As I remember it now in my little childhood recollections I remember some of my serious thoughts. I wondered why I was here, what was I here for, where did I come from, and what was I good for and so on. When I was very young, I was of a religious nature and naturally wanted to go to Sunday School and religious services on Sundays, though I never did join any of them as there did not seem to be any incentive in doing so. I was sent to school when I became of school age but was not compelled to attend regularly, as I should. Consequently, I did not get much education. My parents being poor I was put work as soon as possible. I went to work in the factory at the age of nine years but being one year to young I could not continue until I was 10 years according to the law. I remained home and went to school very little that year. When I became 10 years I went to work in the factory half days and to school half days. The first week I went to work in the forenoon and to school in the afternoon, the next week it would be visa versa, which took me to school half of the time. When I was 14 years of age I was permitted to leave school and work full time in the factory, as they were not as particular in those days as they are these days in keeping their children in school and educating them. It was about this time or from the time I was 13 years of age that I became interested in the Gospel as taught by the Latter-day Saints. I remember on one certain evening I and one of our neighbors girls had planned to go to our Church, sectarian of course, and she disappointed me. When I called to see why she had not called for me as we agreed, she had gone. I felt pretty bad about it and went home, Mother told me to be of good cheer and she would spend the evening with me. “I will take you to church” said she, and that was the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And as young as I was the sermon I heard preached by the Elders sank deep into my heart. I remember that night going home of asking mother what kind of a religion that was. I told her that it sounded better to me than anything I had ever heard. She said it was the only true religion on earth. Well, it never took any more invitations to get me to go to church. I went to the meetings for months and I thought I was a member because I had attended for so long. Just at this time there came another dear little Mormon girl into my life, Phoebe Scothern, I met her at day school and also in the Mormon meetings. I began to be inquisitive and ask her about the church and the religion. She told me she was a member of that church and I told her I was too. I had attended so long, she said not until you have come in at the door by faith, repentance and baptism. Then I wanted to know all about it and in her childish way she preached the Gospel to me in a way that I could understand what was required of me. It is needless to say that through the love of the Gospel and the respect I had for her, I came to dearly love her. We were companions for probably a year and a half to two years. When I understood what I had to do to become a member of the Church I ask my mother about it. She did not readily consent. I had to ask her again and again. It was at this time mother made a very deep impression upon my mind, she said, “If you join that church and you don’t live faithful, it would be better that you had a mill stone tied around your neck and cast into the middle of the sea!” That made an impression on my mind that I will never forget if I live to be five hundred years old. It sank very deep and I wept for joy and gladness. Thus my mother gave me my stepping and sticking stone as the saying goes and I thank her and bless her for it. I was nearing my 14th year and was still working half days and going to school half days and I and my dear Phoebe were enjoying ourselves together as time would permit. Time went on and I soon became 14 years of age, at that time you were permitted to leave school at 14 whether you had an education or not and go to work. It was then I had to get my birth certificate to prove my age. This was in 1880 when I began to work full time in the factory I had never passed any grades in school that I remember but I had pushed myself up until I reached the forepart of the third grade, this shows how growing children had to work in those days and how lax they were in regard to education. Time went on and after I had tried and tested myself to see if I could live the new Religion, as I had heard my Shepherds voice and I knew it, I felt that I had heard it before and it sounded familiar to me, I was permitted to be baptized in the summer of 1880, by the President of the Mansfield Branch, Brother John Bromley, and was confirmed by Elder Chris Lacy. This I remember very distinctly as I was at this time between 14 and 15 years of age, and I want to say right here that I never felt happier in my life than I did after I had taken this step. I felt like I had really and truly been born again. I felt that my childish sins had been forgiven and I felt clean as a new born baby. I loved my religion and took the greatest joy and satisfaction in trying to live it. I knew that I had taken the right step, and that I had done the right thing. Of course I kept on working for my livelihood and I tried to live my religion loving it more and more as I came to understand it better. A while after this time a calamity came into my life for my dear friend Phoebe emigrated to Zion, that left me along without a companion and I felt very lonely and sad. Then in a short time my mother decided to move to Nottingham the Capital City, where I suppose she thought she might get better work and pay to support her family of five girls, my father being dead and my stepfather being away from home so that mother had to do a great deal toward supporting her family I was a stranger in a strange land or strange city without a companion to chum with except my mother. I did not know where our Church was, but we became busy and found it. The people did not seem so sociable there at Nottingham as they were at the little old Mansfield Chapel, this made me feel very lonely and homesick to go back, but we never returned to Mansfield again. We began going to meetings now and again and District Teachers saw us there. They found where we lived and came to visit us. We told them how we felt and our experience of coming to Nottingham. They then took up a labor with us and made us feel welcome among them. Their names were Elders Burrows and Clifton. It was at this time that another dear girlfriend came into my life, she was Brother Burrows sister, her name was Thirza Wright. Brother Burrows asked me if I would go to meeting if his sister would call for me. I answered I would. It is needless to say I need no more persuading for I soon learned to love the Nottingham Branch and the people as well as I did the Mansfield Branch and people. Thirza and I learned to love each other and we became real chums and companions. We were very happy together wherever one went the other went except to work. We attended our religious duties together such as Sunday School meetings, Wednesday night meeting, Relief Society and we also went out with the Missionaries and local Elders when holding Street meetings, and helping the others sing. We also did our part in helping the missionaries with their tracting each Sunday morning. We continued going with them for a number of months. We were happy recipients of the gospel and were anxious to do what we could for others, hence the commandment, “Love Thy Neighbor as Thy Self.” By this time we both had the spirit of gathering to the House of the Lord that is established in the tops of the Mountains. I will say that one of the features of the Great Latter Day work is the gathering of Israel of which there are many prophecies in the Scripture. In Isaih 1:2-4, “ and it shall come to pass in the latter days that the Mountain of the Lords House shall be established in the tops of the Mountains, and shall be exalted above all the hills: and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say; Come ye and let us go to the Mountain of the Lord, to the House of the God of Jacob, and he will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the Law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.” And again in Jeremiah 3:1-15, “And I will take you one of a City and two of a family, and I will give you pastors according to Mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding:” This proves to us our belief in the gathering of Israel. It was not very long until I had to shake hands with my beloved companion and bid her goodbye, for she was going to Zion where she could serve the Lord more fully. I had many lonely hours after this time. From the time I was 14 up until the time I was 20 years of age I worked in the Cotton Mills at Nottingham, England, and was what they call a factory girl. I would have to be at work at 6 a.m. and work until 8 a.m. then I would eat my breakfast and begin work again at 8:30 and work until 12:00 noon. We would have one hour for dinner, then I would work until 5:30 then we were through for the day. I say we because there were hundreds of girls and women doing the same thing I was, working for their living. We would work for five and one half days every week of our lives and have Saturday afternoon off. I had my weaknesses and imperfections to deal with, I was not perfect by any means but I always tried to be careful. We had our enjoyment in our work and in the evenings we would go to meetings or to the theater as it was called in these days. We did not attend dances as they were attended only by the richer class or higher class of people as it was looked upon by most people as being very wicked. About this time an incident happened in my life which I call the trial test of my faith, and which would have made a great difference in my whole life if I had yield to it, but I feel it was a trial to test me out to see what I would do. My brother William had written a letter to our Aunt Alice Smithurst Cundy who lived over in Queenstown Tasmania. She was our father’s sister. One day a letter came from her with a pass for my brother and myself to go and live with her with the promise that she would make a lady out of me of which I took the impression she had money to educate me and make a good home for me. But this did not impress me for I felt that I would be forsaking my religion if I went there. It was then that several people took up quite a labor with me to persuade me to go. I had an Uncle who came to see me, who I had never seen before or have I ever seen or heard of him since and after he made a strenuous effort to persuade me to go he finally told me that he never thought he had any relations that had any Mormon blood in them, he said if I though he had any in him he would pluck it out. I told him I belonged to the Church of God and I felt that I could not forsake it for anything on earth. I tell you I prayed earnestly for the Lord to guide me in the right way I should go, and I thank the Lord that He guided me to do the right thing. Mother suggested I go over there to Tasmania and come here to America later on in life, but as young as I was I felt that was too much of a risk to run. The Lord has always watched over me and preserved me as in the hollow of His hand from sin and wickedness and led me to do the right thing. I had thought very seriously of migrating to America myself and was getting quite anxious about it so I made a trip to Mansfield to see my Grandmother and to get the address of my two Aunts, Betsy Dexter and Lucy Rawson, mother’s sister who had emigrated to America for the Gospel’s sake, but Grandmother refused to give them to me saying “Your Aunts have enough to do to keep their own families. You are well enough off right here. You do not have to go there at all.” I did not get them at that time, but I felt determined to get my Aunt Lucy’s address if possible. I think the Lord inspired me for I made up my mind I would ask all the new Elders that came out to Nottingham if they knew any one by the name of Francis Rawson who was my Uncle. I had asked two parties without success, and the third one was Bro. Abraham Maw from Utah, who said he had a son-in-law whose name was William Rawson and I will give you his address, then you can find out by him if he has a brother by that name. In that way I gained my information after I had succeeded in writing to William Rawson, I received a letter from my Uncle Francis Rawson or Frank as we called him. (William who married Mary Maw was a brother to Francis Rawson.) It was then that I wrote and ask Uncle Frank if he could help me out, he said he would do all he could for me. Their home were on the Egin Bench as they had settled there to help colonize the country and take up land for homes, though at that time they were out at a Mining Camp called Nicholia which lies west of St. Anthony and a little north. The Egin Bench being so dry and unfertile at that time they had gone to this Mine to obtain work, they were there when I wrote to them for help. There were two of Uncle Franks brothers and several other young men from Egin also working at the mine and boarding with Uncle Frank, and Aunt Lucy. Uncle took up a collection among the boys and with what he could do, I soon obtained the means to emigrate to Zion. Then it became my turn to shake hands and bid my mother and dear relatives and friends goodby. “God moves in a mysterious way his wonders to perform, He plants His footsteps in the sea and rides upon the storm.” For it so happened my friends were here in the Land of Promise and making money and when I needed help, I received it. I remained in Ogden three weeks and visited with Uncle Franks people and about the 20th of November I went on my way and arrived at Camas in the middle of the same night. One of the train men took me over to Henry Adams Hotel and I had to stay there for a week before I could go to Nicholia. The weather was very stormy and cold so the Old Gentleman Adams advised me not to be in a hurry to go. While I was there I helped with the work to pass the time away and he wanted to stay and work for them but I told him I was anxious to reach my journeys end. On about the first of December I left on the stage for Nicholia, we left at 8 a.m. and went by way of Birch Creek where we had our dinner and changed horses. Then traveled on and arrived at Nicholia at about 12 o’clock midnight. There I was met by my own people who had sent for me. I felt very glad to be at home once more, I though the Mountain scenery was beautiful, as I traveled along I was greatly impressed by it. The Camp of the Viola mine was in a deep canyon and the Mountains were very high on each side. I would often look at them with wonder and amazement for I had never seen anything like them before. I felt like I had really and truly came to the valleys of the Mountains. My relations and every one I had met on my journey were all strangers to me and I was a stranger in a strange land but the Gospel that I had embraced made me feel we were all Brothers and Sisters as we truly were. I had left dear relatives and friends in old England for the Gospels sake. The Savior said, “If you will not forsake father, mother, brother, sister, husband or wife, if it need be for My sake, Ye are not mine.” The next day after I arrived at Aunt Lucy’s home, Mrs. Nichcols, the wife of the foreman of the Mine sent for me, she wanted me to work for her. Aunt Lucy told me not to be in a hurry to go to work, that I did not need to go at all if I would rather not, but I had always been used working and did not feel right if I was not. I visited with my relatives for about six days then went to work for Mrs. Nichols taking care of the children and doing other work in the home. I began working about the 7 day of December, my wages were $15.00 for the first month and if I suited her I made the promise of $20.00 per month. I worked for her a little over a year, from the 7th of December 1886 until the 20th of December 1887. In the spring of 1887, Uncle Frank and Aunt Lucy went back home to Egin. They wanted me to go with them, but I told them I had a good place and might as well stay and work for a while and come home to them later on. Shortly after this on the 15th day of May Mrs. Nichols decided to go back east on a visit to Aurora, IL to see her Mother. Aurora is about 16 miles from Chicago. I being the children’s nurse of course had the privilege of going with them. So this took me back on part of my precious journey, only this time was very different from the first as we went on the Dining and Sleeping Car and had everything we desired to eat. We were there for about four weeks. When we arrived at Camas, Idaho, and from there I went home to Egin to Uncle Frank’s home, this being the first time for me to see the then unfertile Egin Bench, but it made a good impression on me as I thought it was a regular “Garden of Eden”. The whole Bench was a golden maze as far as a persons eye could see with the Biscuit root flower and the beautiful sun shining down on them, it almost looked like Heaven on earth. As we rode along we noticed little log cabins dotted here and there about one half miles apart, which added to the beauty of the scene. I visited about two weeks then I returned back to my work at the mine for Mrs. Nichols. I continued to work for her during the remainder of the summer and until the 20 day of December 1887, and all the time during that summer was I longing and craving to go back to Egin, for I had fallen in love with it and I had met my cousin Sarah Ann and her husband James Jenkins for the first time. Sarah Ann told me that James had a brother George and that he was a very nice young man, though at the time he was up in the hills and would not be home for some time, but she knew I would like him when I saw him. During the summer when she would write to me she would say something about George and what he had said to her about me. When it was almost time for me to go back to Egin or home as I called it for Christmas, I wrote and told her that next year would be Leap Year and to tell George I would engage him for the New Years Dance. The time came for me to leave Nicholia and go to Camas where some of my folks would meet me and take me back to Egin. Camas lies direct west of Egin Bench. George was the only one who came to Camas to meet me, but I did not arrive so he became tired of waiting and went back to Egin. The reason I did not arrive at Camas was that Mrs. Nichols had decided to take another trip back to visit her mother and she ask me if I would wait and help her get ready and she would pay me well, then we could both go as far as Camas together. Then James Jenkins and Sarah Ann went over to Camas to meet me, they stayed at Thomas and Maggie Jenkins place, as they were living there at that time, until I came which was about the 20 of December. Mrs. Nichols had two children, a boy name DeWitt and a girl named Mary Adaloid. When we arrived at last at Egin my Uncle Frank and Aunt Lucy celebrated the evening of my arrival home with a big part, which reminded me a little of the Prodigal son when they killed the fatted calf and were so pleased to welcome him home. They were all pleased to see me and made me very welcome, I being the honored guest. The other guests were William Rawson Sr. and wife, Uncle Frank’s three single brothers Samuel, Thomas, and Harry, sister Clara Masom and John, Clarence and George K. Jenkins besides Uncle Frank’s family, Jim Jenkins, Sarah Ann and Will and the neighbors, who all treated me very nice, and that was where I first met George K. Jenkins. We had a very sociable evening together and that was the commencement of my living on the Egin Bench. I remember I brought a nice little pile of money home that I had saved up, from my work and out of it I handed $10.00 of it to Bishop Reubin Hiatt of the Brighton Ward, as it was that time, I remember what a great thing the Bishop thought it was for me to pay $10.00 in tithing, as it did look like a lot at that time because there was no money in circulation at that time in the country for Egin Bench was barren and dry. As I became acquainted with George K. Jenkins I thought he was a very nice young man. I also met a lot of other young men but George seemed to suit me best of them all. There was the New Years Dance and also it was Leap Year, so we went to many other dances, and kept company throughout the year of 1888, and until the 28th of March 1889 when we were married by Reuben Hiatt of the Brighton ward by the laws of the land on this date. In the Fall of this same year we went to the Logan Temple, that was in October, where we were married by the Law of God and were sealed for life and for all Eternity, which makes our children Heirs to the Celestial Kingdom of God. The next events of importance in my life were the arrivals of our children. On the 13th of December 1890, just one year and nine months after we were married, a dear little girl came to our home, we were very pleased to receive her and to claim her for our very own. We began to realize we had a great responsibility placed upon us to set her a good example and to train her to do right and we did the best we knew how. The next child was a little baby boy born the 22 of December 1892. We name him George Francis and were pleased to have a little boy come to our home, but he did not come to stay long for he died the 19th of January 1893, being only about four weeks old. Then on the 25th of April 1894 came another little girl who we name Myrtle Vera, so she came to stay and to fulfill her mission in life of faith and works. The next one added to the family was another little girl born the 11th of January 1897, we named her Violet Margerite, but her visit was also very short as she passed away the 12th of February 189 age one month. We did not have good Doctors at that time as we have now days. During those years I was very busy with many church affairs as I was president of the Young Ladies Mutual Improvement Association for six years. I was also assistant secretary and the chosen secretary of the Primary Association for about four years, and I was a member of the choir. But I never thought I could sing until after I joined the church, as I though the Mormon Hymns were beautiful, even before I had joined I began to sing with the rest of Saints and people and have been singing ever since. At first I sang Soprano then after a few years when I came to America I sang Alto. As you will notice I was real busy but very happy. My babies and my Church work kept me up and doing, but faith and works go hand in hand and faith without works are dead, even as the body without the spirit is also dead. When I left Mother and imigrated to this country she had four daughters left with her. In a few years the oldest one home, Lucy Ann, was married, then in the year 1888 my husband and I sent for Mary and Jane. Then Lucy Ann was married and in a year she gave birth to a son and then passed away. The baby boy lived to be three months old then he died also. This left my mother with one child the youngest, girl, Harriet who later on married. The days and months passed by uneventful, tho we were working and were very happy in our work for about three years. When in 1900, George, was called on a mission to the North Western States. We worked together preparing things and getting him ready to go and on May 15 he left us and went out into the world to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ unto the world. He was gone from home one year and 9 months, and returned the 2nd of February 1902. My two little girls and I got along fine only very lonely. Rossie was 10 years when her Father left and Myrtle was 6 years old. In this same year of 1900 all of us relatives who were here in this country put our money together and sent for Mother. She arrived in June and brought my sisters little 3 year old girl with her, Lucy Bowering being her name. They came straight through to Dubois, Idaho as my sister Mary and family were living there at that time. We had to go over there and bring them back with us to Egin. We were so happy to have them with us as my husband had just left for his mission the month before. Mother stayed with us most of the time he was gone so were not quite so lonesome. After several months Lucy Green came to us from Grantsville Utah, she had crossed the ocean at the same time mother had, only Lucy had gone to Grantsville to her Lover and had expected to be married to a man by the name of Henry Billings, but they did not agree, so she finally came to us. Mother then went to Diamond Hill, Wyoming to visit her sister and brother-in-law Francis and Lucy Rawson, my Uncle and Aunt whom I have spoken so much of. I was going out a day or two a week to earn a few cents and I used to raise a garden and feed cows, pigs, chickens and put up fruit in summer time for winter just as we do now days and I used to take my little girls with me and go to choir practice and to all my religious duties and they were better in health at that time than any they had ever been. All these events came and went while George was on his Mission and the Egin Bench subbed up while he was gone, so I had the man that run the place plant 40 acres of hay. I went and russeled one hundred pounds of Alphalfa seed and when Father came home everything was right for larger farming. He came home the 2nd of February 1902 then we proceeded to work the farm right. We began to do well and prospered and the dear Lord did bless us abundantly for the sacrifice we had made in those two years. We were happy in those days looking ahead for better things and they came along. Soon after my husband returned home again Mother decided to go to Dubois again and rent a little place and try to get something to do to help herself with, as work and money were very scarce around our part of the world. Of course, she had her little granddaughter Lucy Bowering with her who was her right hand partner. Mother lived there about 10 years and died on the 12h day of August 1913 at the age of 69 years, and was buried at Dubois, Idaho. Little Lucy was 16 years of age at this time. She came over to Egin to us and we took care of her until she was married on the 17th of March 1917. Her husband was drafted into the service of the World War. Then she came to live with us again until the war was over in November 1918. They went went to Seattle, Washington to live and where’re they have made their home ever since. After Father arrived home, the Bishop called and appointed him as Superintendent of the Sunday School which office he filled faithful and well for five years without any break in his record, which showed he was never tardy or absent only when away from home on other duties. We worked along farming for a livelihood, living our Religion, taking our children to Sunday School, also to Primary and trying to teach them the Gospel. I also being President of the Young Ladies Mutual was kept pretty busy. In course of time another son came to us after many prayers ask for him, the Lord did hear and answer my prayers, and on the 24th of April 1905 he arrived. That made us all very happy to have a little boy with our two little girls, for there had been a lapse of eight years between the last little girl when he came. The girls as well as ourselves had to have a hand in naming him, so between us we named him Adelbert Thomas Smithurst Jenkins. He was a cute little boy, at least I thought so and I tried very hard not to spoil him, realizing that he was one little boy with two older sisters and most people taking notice of him. When he was about three years old he began to sing, his sisters would learn him little songs out of the Primary Song Book. Rossie played the organ and Myrtle used to sing and they learned Adelbert to sing with them. He used to stand on a chair by the organ and sing out to the top of his voice for he never was self-conscious. I tell you I thought it Heaven on Earth in our home while they were at home with us, but that was not always to last for Rossie went out to work, then that spoiled the musical part of our home, made it seem so quiet and dreary without music. All this was between 1905 and 1909. In the year 1909, we moved from Egin to St. Anthony when Adelbert was four years old and came up to the Medward place which we purchased and called it River Dale. We rented our place at Egin to Bro. Aaron F. Staley and we brought five cows with us. We mortgaged the Egin place to buy the Medward place and each year we paid the rent from the Egin place on the mortgage. We made our living on Medward place by milking the five cows and making butter and selling it, with what we could raise on our new place. Then in a few years Bro. Staley bought the place at Egin, and we put the money from it in the bank and took very good care of it or tried to. We tried to use the money very carefully as far as our judgement went. Of course there were quite a few automobiles around at that time and we naturally felt like we would like one. So in 1916 we bought us a Ford car and I tell you we surely enjoyed ourselves with it, but we tried to be conservative and not go to excess with it. We also tried not to break the Sabbath Day. Then we bought property so we might have something to live on in our old age and not have to go to the poor house., But here came the depression and knocked bottom out of everything, with no work, no money, and no prices for anything, so became property poor with high taxes and all. Well the time came when the girls were ready to leave home, Rossie was married to Edwin John McKinley the 2nd of August 1912. She was gone from our home to make a home of her own. Then Myrtle was married the following year to William Benjamine Cooke the 3rd of April 1913 in the Salt Lake Temple. Then we were left alone with just our little boy and when we first came to our new home just below the Graveyard or what we called Riverdale, just out of St. Anthony, we began to go to church at St. Anthony. We joined the Choir under the leadership of William M. Hansen. I was chosen as a Relief Society Teacher and was generally busy with my Church work as well as with our work for a livelihood of which I found very much joy. After the marriage of the girls and their families began coming along I found much pleasure and joy in helping them all I could. During this time Adelbert was playing the organ, picking out little melodies and trying to play them. When he was seven years old we started him to school that was in 1912. Rossie’s first child Marjorie, was born May 3, 1913, Alice, Myrtles girl, on the 2nd of May 1914, Billy McKinley on 11 July 1914, Vera Jou on December 29, 1915. It was in the latter end of February of 1916 that Myrtle took very sick with appendicitis and adhesions and was sick for over a year, during that year I took the children, Alice and Vera, with me and had them most of the time. It was now in the spring of 1917 and in April Myrtle was well enough to take the little girls and move themselves in with their Daddy. In five more years Myrtle had a baby boy born 15 October 1920 named Dean. Rossie was having her children real fast and had four or five by this time. It was in December 1919 when we decided we could afford to go on a vacation. So on the 3rd of that month we left for California for our outing and were gone three months. We returned home on the 3rd of March 1920. Rossie had six children by this time as Marion was born in February before we arrived home. This was the time in December 1919 when we rented our farm, Riverdale, to E.C. Rhodehouse where they made their home for 10 years or until 1929. In 1920 when we returned from California we bought the little modern house on the Island, it was modern in every detail and we had the pleasure of living in it for ten years, tho it seems we were not to live in it any longer, but we surely enjoyed it while we did. I think it was in 1921 that Adelbert began to take music and singing lessons from Mrs. Belle George Wood. She gave him quite a lot of voice culture and he became a real nice singer and took a real lot of pride in it and everybody liked to hear him sing. And in 1923 when he was only 18 years old he was married to Nelly Weaver McMinn. He continued with his music lessons for some time after his marriage. Their first babies were twin boys born the 17th of June 1924. They were premature and died shortly after birth. They have at this writing,( Feb 1938), five children, two boys and three girls. Myrtle has had eight children, four boys and four girls, Rossie has had fourteen children, eight boys and six girls. Five of them have passed on to the Great Beyond, which leaves us an even number of 24 grandchildren, of which five granddaughters have married, making us four great grandchildren, three boys and one girl. One boy having previously died. We loved our little home on the Island and were doing fine when a sore depression came upon the whole world and this place was no exception. It knocked the bottom out of everything, there was no work, no wages and everything that the farmer had to sell wasn’t worth anything. Taxes went up so high and nothing to pay them with so we sold our nice little home the 13th of August 1930 and moved to our house on the Riverbank the 23rd of August. It is now the 16th of February 1938 at this writing and we are still living on the river bank in our little home, it will soon be eight years in August 23 of this year since we moved over here. We are alone and lonely. Father has had a nervous breakdown for two and a half years and I can see myself losing ground. Father is 73 past and I am 71 past. We worked in our church duties until two and a half years ago. We belonged to the choir and loved to sing and tried to always be there as we had been a member since coming to St. Anthony and when Adelbert was a small boy he always went with us to choir rehearsals. We were both chosen to be members of the St. Anthony First Ward Genealogical Committee in January 1929. We enjoyed our work with the committee very much and held the position for eight years being released in 1937. I was also a teacher in the Relief Society, and we went to Sacrament meeting most all the time and did all the good we could. And now it seems like our work is done unless things change for the better. While we were in the Genealogical committee we attended a number of Endowment Excursions to the Logan Temple, we did quite a number for own dead also some charity. I want to say that we love the principles and ordinances of the Gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, such as keeping the Sabbath Day holy and by going to church on Sunday to worship our Father in Heaven and by doing as little on that day as possible. We believe in tithing and in paying one tenth of our annual income for we have kept that law as near as we possibly could, we also believe there are great blessings attached to the keeping of that law. We have always treated our fellowman as we would like to be treated, some have appreciated it while others have not, but we have never missed an opportunity to do all the good we could to our fellowman. We also believe in the Word of Wisdom and have tried to live it as near as we could, we believe there are many great blessings attached to that principle such as good health and longevity. I haven’t drank tea or coffee to amount to anything since of the Fall of 1921 and I have never drank anything stronger than that since I joined the church 58 years ago. We haven’t been perfect tho, or we would not be here now, although we have tried to teach our children the principles of the Gospel by precept and example by teaching them and by doing ourselves and going with them. We have at present three children, Rossie and her husband, Edwin John McKinley, Myrtle and her husband, William Benjamin Cooke, and Adelbert and his wife Molly Weaver McMinn. We have two children a boy and a girl who have passed away and we have 12 grandsons and 12 granddaughters, 5 great grandchildren and four grandsons, and one granddaughter who have also passed away. One great grandson also passed away. We do hope and pray that God will bless our descendants as far down through the ages of time as they may go. That they may find the straight and narrow path that leads to life eternal for straight is the gate and narrow the path that leads to life eternal and few there be that find it, while wide is the gate and broad is the road that leadeth to destruction and many there be that go in there at. My testimony concerning the standard books of the church is, and my husband joins with me in saying, We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly, also the Book of Mormon to be the word of God and that it is a history of a people who lived on this continent many years ago and that through prayer from the Prophet Joseph Smith, God did reveal it to him and in due time did deliver into his hands through the power of God the Prophet did translate it into English so that we may all read it and gain a testimony of its divinity and truthfulness. We also believe the Doc. & Cov. to be the work of God to His people in this day giving instructions and revelation to His people through the Prophet Joseph Smith. We also believe in the Pearl of Great Price, and believe these four books to be the standard works of the Church.

Life timeline of George Knott Jenkins

George Knott Jenkins was born on 23 Dec 1862
George Knott Jenkins was 12 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
George Knott Jenkins was 26 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
George Knott Jenkins was 36 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
George Knott Jenkins was 46 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
George Knott Jenkins was 54 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
George Knott Jenkins was 67 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
George Knott Jenkins was 77 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
George Knott Jenkins died on 2 Dec 1947 at the age of 84
Grave record for George Knott Jenkins (23 Dec 1862 - 2 Dec 1947), BillionGraves Record 338115 Parker, Fremont, Idaho, United States