George Howard Sargent

16 Jun 1908 - 20 Apr 1983

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

George Howard Sargent

16 Jun 1908 - 20 Apr 1983
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Dianne Sargent and I completed the folk dance class in fall of 1959. Because of a high school boy friend, my opportunity to date her dropped into history. We didn’t see each other the rest of that freshman year at Brigham Young University. Here we are in Wendover, Utah in summer 1960. I had return

Life Information

George Howard Sargent


Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


Mother Father Son

Headstone Description

Children: Eric, Taunya, Jason, Michelle, Laura, Trisha, Julie


May 31, 2011


May 31, 2011


May 30, 2011

Jane Little

February 25, 2012


April 6, 2020


April 9, 2020

Todd Millett

February 29, 2020

Todd Millett

February 26, 2020

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of George Howard


George Howard Sargent is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



First Date

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Dianne Sargent and I completed the folk dance class in fall of 1959. Because of a high school boy friend, my opportunity to date her dropped into history. We didn’t see each other the rest of that freshman year at Brigham Young University. Here we are in Wendover, Utah in summer 1960. I had returned home for the summer to earn money for school. My plan was to return to school in the fall and go on a mission next summer in August 1961. The Wendover church schedule was Sunday School at 10:00 a.m., Priesthood Meeting at 5:30 p.m. and Sacrament meeting at 7:00 p.m. I took a break between the two evening meetings to go home for something. Returning, I find the college age guys standing on the steps to the chapel talking about a new girl in town. Each was talking about who would be the first one to ask her for a date. When I asked where this new girl was, someone told me she was sitting on the front row of the chapel. I slipped into the chapel and walked down the outside aisle to take a look without being too obvious. That look revealed Dianne Sargent. I walked over and sat by her. She remembered me from our folk dance class the previous fall. After church, I walked her back to her apartment. On the way, we stopped at my home where she met my parents for the first time. Monday afternoon, I walked to Dianne’s apartment, and found her in a swimming suite sunbathing on her front porch. We visited for a while about several things, how her recent school year worked out, about her work as a waitress in the Western Café and why she had that job, and her plans for the next school year. The job at the restaurant was temporary until a job opened up with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in Elko, Nevada. Her parents lived at the airport near the Lucin, Utah railroad stop. Dianne’s dad worked for the FAA and maintained the transmitter which sent signals to aircraft in the area. Wendover was a good place for summer work and it was close to her parents. A community dance was scheduled for the coming Saturday evening. I asked Dianne for a date to the dance. She accepted. Saturday evening arrived. Dianne looked charming for our first date. We had a wonderful evening dancing, talking, and just enjoying the time together. She did break some bad news for me: her job was open in Elko, and she would leave the first part of the next week. When she said goodbye before leaving Wendover, we didn’t have a plan for reconnecting at school in the fall.

Last Date

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I returned to Brigham Young University for my sophomore year fall semester 1960. Dianne Sargent returned as well, but I had no idea how to contact her early in the semester. During the first week of school, I walked across campus to the bookstore. Students were everywhere. About a block from the bookstore, I was crossing an intersection when I saw a charming young lady with several of her friends on the other side. Calling “Dianne,” the pace quickened, and we met on the corner. She and her group were hurrying away from the bookstore, so I scheduled a time and place to meet her. I soon learned that the library was her home away from the dorm. It was the only place to spend time with her during the week. The high school boyfriend was out of Dianne’s life; he was in the military. Dianne allowed me to meet her at her dorm (Knight-Mangum), walk to the library, study—I mean don’t interfere with her, and walk her back to the dorm. Friday night was date night. So, this was the beginning of what I hoped would be a romantic sophomore year. However, the fact that I intended to go on a mission for the LDS Church in August 1961 cast a cooling effect over our relationship. I never knew exactly where I stood with her. After several months, I began to feel that Dianne might be that special one. She was still dating other guys, and she never expressed her real feelings towards me. Finally, the need to know whether to continue on with Dianne or call it quits and go a different direction had reached a high point. The Friday night date that week was to have pizza at COOKs, one of the favorite eateries of the day on West Center Street in downtown Provo. COOKs was arranged with booths around the sides of each of two large rooms and tables in the center of the room. Each booth had a small Jukebox so patrons could have quiet music in the background. On this night, we sat in a booth in the back room. I pondered how to open a conversation on our relationship. The presence of the jukebox gave me an idea to play one of my favorite 1960 Country-Western songs made famous by Floyd Cramer -- “Last Date”. It was strictly a musical piece. After a few minutes, I asked Dianne if she knew the name of the song. She didn’t. She was somewhat shocked when I told her it was “Last Date,” and tonight might be such a date. Naturally, that opened a discussion of our feelings for each other, the effects of a mission, and where we go from here. Something special happened that night; it changed our lives forever. We enjoyed the remainder of our sophomore year, Dianne was a straight A student (all the study at the library), I went on a mission to Germany for thirty months, we married in the Salt Lake Temple, we raised eleven children, and we have over forty grandchildren and great grandchildren. That Friday night in Provo was anything but the LAST DATE.

Leaving My Sweetheart

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

August 6, 1961 was the day I entered the mission home in Salt Lake City for a week of training before heading to the West German Mission. Dianne’s parents and mine were happy I was leaving on the mission rather than foregoing a mission to marry Dianne. My parents also became worried with the announcement that same day that the Berlin Wall between East and West Berlin was closed, and all border crossings between East and West Germany were likewise closed. Mom and Dad were fearful that I was entering a potential war zone. Although tensions remained high throughout my mission, no serious military activity occurred. After a week in the mission home, six missionaries boarded a plane at the Salt Lake City airport and flew first to Minneapolis, Minnesota, then to New York City, to Amsterdam in the Netherlands, and on to Frankfurt, Germany. After a few days at the mission home in Frankfurt, I went to my first assignment at Hanau, a city east of Frankfurt. I was in love with Dianne and wanted her to be my wife. To ask her to wait for thirty months didn’t seem right, so I didn’t ask her. Instead, I petitioned the Lord to let me know that she would wait. My request was included in my morning personal prayers every day for nearly four months. Sometime during November, the Lord answered my prayer. A voice, as clearly as my companion speaking to me, said: “Don’t worry about it!” What did that mean? She would wait, or she would not wait? Trying to be obedient, I didn’t worry about it for the remainder of my mission. At the beginning of August 1962, I was called into the mission office to serve as the financial secretary. Learning that responsibility and continuing with missionary work in the evenings and on weekends consumed me to the point I forgot to write my weekly letters home and to Dianne. On my birthday, August 27th, my father called wanting to know why I was not writing the weekly letters. He knew the church policy for missionaries to write home every week. He gave me a clear message: “You don’t have to write your parents, but if Dianne doesn’t get a letter from you each week, don’t expect any money for the next month.” If my recollection is correct, I did not miss my weekly letters to either my parents or Dianne for the remainder of the mission. (I knew that Dad wanted Dianne in the family, and he didn’t want me messing up on making that happen.) Dad got off the phone and let me talk to Dianne for a few minutes. That was a really special few minutes. I knew for certain that I wanted her for my wife if she would have me. The rest of the mission went quickly. Dianne graduated with a bachelor’s degree at Brigham Young University and was near the end of her master’s degree when my mission concluded.

The Proposal

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

In my time, missionaries were released by the mission president before the missionary left his or her assigned mission. My release date was originally scheduled the end of February 1964. I asked about an early release in order to begin the new semester at Brigham Young University. My parents sent the church missionary committee their permission for an early release. To be home in time for the semester, I needed to be released three weeks early. The mission president said “no” to that. The other five missionaries in my group were planning a trip from Berlin south to the countries along the northern side of the Mediterranean Sea. I joined the group, and we filed the appropriate papers with the mission office so the mission president was aware of our plans. He did not want missionaries to travel, and he looked for ways to discourage our group. He called me to say he would release me a week early if I would go home. My answer was simply: “If I can’t be home in time to start the new semester, I would travel with my group.” A few weeks later, the mission president called again to say he would release me February 8th if I would go home. I took his offer even though I would be a few days late for school. Dianne and my parents did the work of getting me readmitted to school and registered for my classes. Dianne attended my classes for those two or three days before I arrived home. She was super at taking shorthand notes, then typing the notes so I could read them. It felt like I hadn’t missed a day of school. The missionary replacing me arrived one day sooner than expected, so I packed my bags and went to the mission home. The cook said she would set an extra plate for lunch. The mission president was surprised to see me at the table and asked why I was there a day early. When I told him, he asked what I planned to do until my flight the next day. Shopping was my plan, and he didn’t like that idea because I was alone. He asked the mission secretary to reschedule my flights home. After lunch on Friday, February 7th, the mission secretary drove while the president and I went through the mandatory exit interview and release. At 2:30 p.m., I was on a plane headed home. When the plane arrived in Chicago, I called home to let people know my arrival time for Salt Lake City. That caught my parents and Dianne off-guard. The original plan was for my arrival on Saturday, and now I was coming on Friday evening. We drove to Wendover for the weekend. I was up early Saturday morning and Dad wanted to talk to me. “What are your plans for Dianne?” was his first question. I told him that I didn’t know at the moment. He suggested helping me pay for a ring when the time came. Sunday afternoon, Dianne and I drove to Provo. During that drive, we decided to visit her parents the next weekend; they lived in Dubois, Idaho. We would drive up on Friday, February 14th. Mission life meant long days of work. Switching to the life of a student was easy. I even had time in the evenings for Dianne. On one evening that first week, we went window shopping at jewelry stories in downtown Provo. I wanted to have an idea what kind of ring she might like. Thursday, February 13th, I purchased the special ring and a Valentine card. That evening, Dianne and I drove to the east side of Utah Lake to a place where we could look out at the lights of the piers and those on boats moving on the lake. Finally, I turned on the car’s interior lights and handed Dianne the Valentine card. She slowly removed the card from the envelope, reviewed the words and images on the front, and opened the card’s interior. A diamond ring was clipped just above the verses appearing on the card. She whirled in the car seat, threw her arms around my neck, and screamed “YES!” I wanted to be engaged when we met her parents the next evening in Idaho. (One mistake I made was not asking her father for permission to marry his daughter. I have two sons-in-law who repaid me for that mistake.) Dianne and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple on June 5, 1964.

Our Honeymoon Travels

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Dianne and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple on Friday, June 5, 1964. We held our reception in Provo, Utah Friday evening at the Alumni building on the Brigham Young University (BYU) campus. Dianne had lived in Provo for five years, and it had become home for her. We would live our first two years of married life in Provo as well. We would have an open house at her parent’s home in Dubois, Idaho and another one at my parent’s home in Wendover, Utah. After all the fun and celebration associated with a reception wound down, Dianne and I drove to Salt Lake City and spent our first night together in a motel just west of the city center. The excitement of the day, and the nervousness of spending a night with a female next to me, caused me to not sleep well that first night. I learned my first lesson about Dianne’s going-to-bed routine. She takes the longest time cleaning off the makeup, brushing her teeth, and other things making herself ready for bed. She follows that routine every night. Saturday morning, Dianne sent me off to wash all the decorations off the car. She had no intentions of being seen in that decorated car in broad daylight. We spent the day driving north into Idaho and on to West Yellowstone on the west side of the Idaho-Wyoming border. We had a reservation at a motel there. The room we were assigned was the same room Dianne’s roommate from BYU and her newly-wed husband stayed in the day before we arrived. We arose Sunday morning to a snowstorm, and light snow continued throughout the day. We attended church services and spent time adjusting plans. I forgot to check the weather, or I would have learned that early June is still snow time in this part of Idaho and Wyoming. The tour of Yellowstone National Park would not be enjoyable in the cold and snow. We decided to drive the highway that circles the park, stop at each of the high points, and then drive to Dubois, Idaho. Yep, you guessed. We spent most of our honeymoon at the home of Dianne’s parents waiting for a Saturday open house. The home was warm, comfortable, and enjoyable. Monday was another travel day as we drove back to Provo. We still had one more open house in Wendover for my parent’s friends.

Naming the Baby

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Eleven children came into our home. Dianne and I were permitted to raise them to adulthood. Those children provided us a marvelous posterity, both quantity and quality. Selecting a name for a child was not always easy, and many times that name had a story. Dianne and I had ideas for names, and our discussions, along with input from others, helped us create the final name. Here are the stories behind the names. When we were expecting our first child, we talked about female and male names each of us liked. As time passed, we developed some rules to govern our name selections. Two rules applied to a girl’s name. First, she would have one given name and one surname. The reason was based on the custom for a married girl to use her full maiden name and add the surname of her husband. Second, we tried to select a name with a three-part musical sound. The boys were given three names—first, middle, and surname. Marilee was the name chosen for our first child. I had originally pushed for “Maren” which was the name of my Norwegian great grandmother on my mother’s side. Dianne’s mother felt the name lacked a musical sound of a three-part name and suggested a name like Marilee. We liked that name then and like it today. At a later time, we learned that Dianne's mother knew a woman who she did not like in the least, and her name was Maren. Had we used Maren, Dianne's mother would constantly be reminded of unpleasantness. Cheri-Ann was the name of our second child. I liked a Cheri, Sheri, or Sherry as a name, but I preferred the spelling for Cheri. To get a three-part musical sound, I suggested adding “Ann.” The spelling for the combined name was an issue for us. Finally, I added a hyphen. However, the computer age arrived, and a hyphenated name became a problem on computerized documents. With time, the name became simply “Cheri.” Kent was our first son. Following the tradition of my father, I named my first son after me—Lane Kent Anderson. We figured that father and son could be adequately differentiated by using “Lane” for the father and “Kent” for the son. I did not like designations of Jr./Sr. or I/II. Because the church had issues in its recordkeeping for membership records, we added Jr. and Sr. for church purposes. Kent eliminated Jr when he served as a ward clerk many years later. I left Sr on the church records. (Why I left the Sr designation is a separate story that I likely will not write.) Dean was our second son. I wanted to add Howard as a middle name because that is the name Dianne’s parents would have given a boy had one been born to them. Also, Howard was Dianne’s father’s middle name. Dianne’s father seemed very pleased that we used “Howard” with one of our sons. KariRae was our third daughter. This name was obviously a combination of two names. “Kari” was a Swedish boy’s name. It was pronounced “car” and “e.” During these years, I listened to country music on the radio while I drove. One of the popular country singers of the time was Susan Raye. I liked the pronunciation for “Raye,” but not the spelling. After playing with different spelling variations, I ended up with “Rae.” To have the three-part musical sounding name, the two names were combined into one. As you might guess, her name was shortened to Kari in normal usage among family and friends. Kaylene was our fourth daughter. Kaylene Anderson did not have the three-melodic sounds designated for a girl’s name. However, this was a name we liked and wanted for this daughter. Dell was our third son. We named him Dell Alan Anderson. During the time I worked in Washington D.C., I had a co-worker from California. When he talked about his family, the son named Dell came up regularly. For whatever reason, I liked that name. Our Dell was born two years after I started work in Washington D.C. My older brother, Joseph Allen Anderson, died from whooping cough before he was three months old. I wanted to carry forward his name but with a different spelling. Brian was our fourth son. Brian Clark Anderson was born at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, DC. Brian comes from the name of a medical student serving his residency in the area. He and his wife lived next to us for a year when we lived in Rockville, Maryland. Clark came from two sources. It is a family from my great grandmother on my father’s side, and it was the name of a fellow worker on the staff of the Cost Accounting Standards Board in Washington, DC. Karen was our fifth daughter. We had the name Julianne picked out for this daughter, but that changed during delivery. The doctor held up the baby for Dianne to see. Dianne could only say: “She looks just like a Karen.” Dianne had a special college roommate named Karen. She also had a special friend in Lubbock with the name of Karen. So, Karen must be a special person to carry the name of Karen. Scott was the older twin and our fifth son; Kevin was the younger twin and our sixth son. We knew early on that Dianne was carrying twins. Marilee and Cheri felt they should have input for naming the twins. Dianne and I agreed that those girls would pick the first name and I would pick the middle name. Marilee chose Scott for the older twin, and Cheri chose Kevin for the younger twin. After I added the middle names, the final names became Scott James Anderson and Kevin Garn Anderson. James came from my deceased younger brother, and I wanted to keep his name in the family. Garn was a family name associated with my mother’s youngest brother who was killed during World War II. She wanted to carry that name onward and attached it as the middle name of her youngest son, my baby brother. I kept Garn for one more generation. Kevin surprised us by including Garn as the middle name of his first son. There you have the background for how we named each of our children. We never interfered with how they named our grandchildren. We sincerely hope that the names of our children will be included in the Book of Life as faithful, worthy followers of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Situations Around Births

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Dianne and I had eleven children together in an eighteen year period. Although she was present for all eleven births, I was either not permitted into the delivery room or I missed the delivery of the six older children. Whether I was present or not, situations surrounded each of the births that are worth remembering. Marilee was born in Provo, Utah June 24, 1966. When we thought the contractions were getting close enough, we went to the Utah Valley Hospital. The nurses checked her, found she had not dilated enough, and said I could take her home. I asked when they thought delivery might occur. I commented that their projection was within the same 24-hour billing time as we were currently in. The nurse said “yes.” My response was typical of me: “If I have to pay anyway, I will leave her here and let you take care of her.” I went home and got some sleep. I arrived at the hospital in the morning for the birth. In those days, fathers weren’t allowed in the delivery room. Note: The following comment was taken from the history of Melba Ence. “”When Marilee received her name, we went to Provo for the occasion, along with the other set of grandparents, the Sargents. Myrtis, Lind, and Bernadine were in Provo visiting, so they came also. I remember what a beautiful prayer Lane gave his first-born child. Dianne was taking it down in shorthand. I am sure it will be a keepsake for Marilee.” Cheri was born in West Allis (a suburb of Milwaukee), Wisconsin May 13, 1968. Although Dianne had contractions all through the night, she didn’t think the baby would come soon and said I should go to work. After I worked a short time, Dianne called and said to come home. She had called the doctor’s office and was told to come there before going to the hospital. She walked into the doctor’s office, the doctor looked at her, and said: “Get to the hospital NOW!” I arrived at the designated place with nurses waiting for Dianne. They put her in a wheelchair and away they went. I parked the car and went to the waiting room. I no sooner walked through the door of the waiting room when the nurse came in to tell me about my daughter. Had we waited longer, that baby would have been delivered in the car. Kent was born in Madison, Wisconsin August 26, 1969. I was somewhere between Chicago, Illinois and Madison at the time of Kent’s birth. When Kent was about to be delivered, the doctor calmly mentioned to Dianne that the baby seemed to be in some distress, and he would use forceps to hurry delivery. When Kent was born, the doctor held him up by one hand with Kent’s body draping over. Dianne saw a purple, limp body and asked: “Is he alive? The doctor assured her he was. The doctor calmly handed the baby to a nurse and told her to take him to ICU. We found out later that the placenta separated early, and Kent was short of oxygen. When I arrived, ICU let me right in to see Kent. His color was normal and he was breathing as expected. I missed the delivery because I was doing interviews for faculty positions with universities represented at the American Accounting Association meetings held on the Notre Dame University campus in Terre Haute, Indiana. An emergency call came requesting me to check messages at a special center. The message was Dianne telling me to come home. It emphasized that I didn’t need to break speed limits. When I arrived at the Wisconsin state line, I called to check on Dianne’s status. She had gone to the hospital. I drove directly to the hospital too late to arrive in time for the delivery. Dean was born in Provo, Utah January 28, 1971. This had been a hard pregnancy. Dianne spent 10 days in the hospital with pneumonia the previous September and struggled to regain health and strength afterward. The delivery was also different. It was slowed because of Dean’s posterior position, and we worried something might be wrong. However, Dean made it, and his maroon travel bed returned by someone in Madison who had borrowed it arrived in Provo right before Dean did. Kari was born in Provo, Utah August 7, 1972. We had become quite experienced at welcoming newborns by now, but taking care of four other small children at the same time was very challenging. As labor progressed that Sunday afternoon, we took the children to a park to play because we felt that was the easiest way to keep them occupied. Kari was born the next morning. We were excited to have a baby girl again. Kaylene was born in Olney, Maryland on September 11, 1974. We moved from Provo to Maryland a month before Kaylene was born. It was a great help to have Karen Hansen, Dianne’s very good friend and former college roommate, in the area when we arrived. We stayed with the Hansen’s until we found housing. Karen helped Dianne find a doctor. The day Kaylene was born, Dianne was in labor before I left for work. However, because I was so new on the job and we weren’t sure labor would continue, Dianne insisted I go to work. By early afternoon, Dianne realized she needed to go to the hospital, about 25 minutes away. What a blessing a ward can be even when you know almost no one in it. Dianne called a ward member who had teenagers and asked if she could come and stay with the children until one of her girls was out of school and could come. Dianne managed to get Dean down for a nap; she felt capable of driving but one of her neighbors insisted on giving that service, and Dianne was grateful. I found that public transportation had its scheduling disadvantages. The very best I was able to do was to arrive at the hospital about 20 minutes after Kaylene was born. Dell and Brian were both born in Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C. Dell was born August 10, 1976, which made him a bi-centennial baby. Brian was born February 25, 1978. On one of these two deliveries, I had a special experience. A medical student performed the delivery with the doctor standing right behind him. The doctor had me sitting right to the side of Dianne where the baby came out. The medical student performed his procedure on the umbilical cord and set the baby on Dianne’s tummy. The doctor walked through every step of delivery and explained how the medical student could have done better and where he did well. At that point, I felt my knowledge was sufficient to perform the next delivery. Karen was born in Methodist Hospital (later changed to Covenant Hospital) in Lubbock, Texas August 8, 1980. We had a name picked out, but something changed. When the doctor held up the baby for us to see, Dianne said: “She looks just like a Karen.” Dianne seemed to attract special friends named Karen. Lubbock added another one to her list. So, Karen must be a special person to carry the name of Karen. That name stuck. Scott & Kevin were born in Covenant Hospital in Lubbock, Texas February 11, 1984. We arrived at the hospital with an expectation for both of us to watch the birth of our twins. The nurses were hustling around doing their various tasks. The doctor entered the room, checked a few things, and walked out. The nurses were getting ready to take Dianne into the delivery room. The doctor returned and told me I was not permitted in the delivery room. I asked “why.” He responded that a C-section was necessary and I had not seen their videos to prepare me for such an experience. I wanted to impress him with the idea that he couldn’t do anything to shock me. Why, I hunted game and fished for many years. I had cut open animals and cleaned the guts and gore out to preserve them for food storage. I challenged him with: “Are you going to show me something that I can’t handle?” “Get you garbs on,” he said, “you’re coming in.” Well, folks, I wish I had seen those videos! There is a big difference between a dead animal and your wife. The doctors and nurses were wrapping up things at the delivery table. Dianne looked at me and said: “That’s it, I’m through!” The doctor looked at her and said she should have said that before he sewed the incision. Every morning over the next two weeks, I watched her roll off the bed onto the floor and worked herself up to a standing position, crying the whole time. I felt we had done our fair share in bringing children into the world. As the years have gone on, I realized there is no greater joy than having children who keep the commandments of God. THANK YOU ALL!

Blinding Snow Storm in Northwestern New Mexico

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Dianne’s mother, Dorothy Sargent, was dying from cancer. Debris probably caused by the cancer treatments, was floating in the bloodstream and finally moved into her eyes causing blindness. Dianne’s parents moved from Circleville, Utah to Carlsbad, New Mexico after her mother lost her eyesight. They returned to the home they lived in when Dianne attended Carlsbad High School. Dianne’s mother wanted to be in this home when she died. Dianne and I felt we needed to visit her parents as soon as we could arrange it. Everything fell into place for the 1973 Christmas vacation. We loaded our five children into the family sedan and drove from Provo to Carlsbad right after Christmas. When we arrived, we found that she had learned how to move around the house and perform simple tasks inspite of her blindness. Our children had to adjust to Grandma’s situation, and they did the best they could. Dianne and I tried to make things as easy as possible for the children. We took them outside to play in the various parks. The time arrived for us to head back to Provo. We loaded up our car and drove northward, coming to I-40 at Clines Corners about fifty miles east of Albuquerque. A light snow helped me realize that I had tire issues to check on in Albuquerque. We ended up installing two new tires on the rear of the car to provide the best traction should the snow begin accumulating. In those days, we would travel west to Gallup, north to Shiprock and on north to Cortez, Colorado. Our goal was to reach Moab, Utah to spend the night. The delay for tires and a major snow storm slowed us considerably. We reached Gallup in the late afternoon as the snow off the mountains was accumulating and packing under the traffic. We continued to the north end of Gallup where we came to decision time. The snow was coming down harder, and several cars pulled to the side to allow drivers to evaluate the pros and cons of continuing on. A man with a large flatbed truck said he was going on, and his wife and children would follow him in another vehicle. I decided to get in line behind the wife, letting the truck break a trail in the snow. The truck driver felt the highway patrol would close that highway soon, so we needed to make our move now. The three cars headed out. I asked the kids to remain quiet so I could concentrate on the tire trail the truck created. A lot of prayers rose to the heavens over the next hour or two. Within minutes, the road disappeared under the snow, and we had only the tire tracks of the truck and car ahead of us. I noticed a set of headlights slowly creeping closer from the rear. After a few miles, that car decided to pass me and I was then following him, hoping he was following the truck and car ahead. The snow continued to accumulate, and my visibility was lessening. Suddenly, the driver of the car right ahead of me signaled a right turn and went toward a farmhouse with lights on. The trucker and wife were nowhere in sight. Tire tracks were on the road, but they were disappearing in the snow accumulation. I prayed mighty hard that the Lord would leave us a trail to follow. The unexpected occurred again. A few cars were coming south, and they deepened the tire tracks left by the trucker and his wife. That blessing came at the right time. Then, about twenty miles south of Shiprock, we came over a rise, and the curtain of snow ceased. The sky was clear with stars as far as the eye could see. The Shiprock Mountain was clearly in view. I could see the lights of the trucker and his wife about three miles ahead of us. The road was still packed with snow, and I could see those wonderful tire marks telling me the car was on the road. Shiprock was a closed city; nothing was open. The roads were wider but snow packed. There was enough traffic to keep the roads open going north to Cortez, Colorado. I called a motel in Cortez where we had stayed before. The motel had room for us and held the space. We all snuggled into a warm bed, relaxed, and slept well. We were able to drive home to Provo the next day. We later learned that the highway patrol closed the highway from Gallup to Shiprock about half an hour after we made the decision to keep moving north. It remained closed for two full days before the whole stretch was opened again. I have never regretted the decision to follow the truck tracks. However, I learned that that highway followed a mountain range with a propensity for major rain and snow storms on a regular basis. Also, the whole stretch is on an Indian Reservation, and the Reservation leaders chose not to spend money to maintain the roads. Therefore, I looked for and found an alternate federal highway going through Cuba, NM that connected Albuquerque and Shiprock. That highway is a four-lane highway the whole distance. It is also well maintained during snow storms. Such a trip is full of lessons a person could use to illustration important points in family or church lessons. Here are few examples (1) The tire tracks represent the Lord’s path that if we follow, we will arrive at our destination. (2) Letting other people get between you and the person you are following can delay you and even take you off your designated path. (3) Don’t always look for the shortest or easiest path when other options might be better for you. (4) Avoid highways maintain by Indian Reservations along mountain ranges know for heavy rain and snowstorms.

Life timeline of George Howard Sargent

George Howard Sargent was born on 16 Jun 1908
George Howard Sargent was 6 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
George Howard Sargent was 21 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
George Howard Sargent was 31 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
George Howard Sargent was 36 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
George Howard Sargent was 47 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
George Howard Sargent was 55 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
George Howard Sargent was 70 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
George Howard Sargent died on 20 Apr 1983 at the age of 74
Grave record for George Howard Sargent (16 Jun 1908 - 20 Apr 1983), BillionGraves Record 5570 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States