George Herman Carter

1 Sep 1895 - 16 Dec 1975


George Herman Carter

1 Sep 1895 - 16 Dec 1975
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

(The following information about the Thomas 'H' Carter and Mary Crawley Carter family comes from a tape made by Raymond Crawley Carter, for Myrna Laird, a granddaughter. whose father is Clyde.) Mother was a good manager. She always kept a clean house. She said that since she didn't have girls to hel
Register to get full access to the grave site record of George Herman Carter
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

George Herman Carter


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 4, 2011


June 4, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about George Herman...

We found more records about George Herman Carter.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of George Herman


George Herman Carter is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Thomas "H" Carter & Mary Crawley Carter History

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

(The following information about the Thomas "H" Carter and Mary Crawley Carter family comes from a tape made by Raymond Crawley Carter, for Myrna Laird, a granddaughter. whose father is Clyde.) Mother was a good manager. She always kept a clean house. She said that since she didn't have girls to help in the house, we boys had to take our turn. We had assignments around the house for one week, then we would change. We learned to clean, cook, and do anything that needed to be done. Father was very strict. He taught us self reliance by giving us assignments. He would say, "I've got a job for you." We'd say. "How do you want it done?", and he'd answer, "You decide how you want to do it, then if you make mistakes, I'll tell you what to do." We had a fruit farm in Nephi, and we grew the best fruit around. We had peaches, pears, apples, plums, and apricots. There was a deposit of clay on the farm and Father made adobe bricks with it. We would mix up the clay mud, some of us would shovel the clay, and the horse, which was attached to a long pole, would walk around in a circle and turn the mixer. Dad would grab a handful of the mud which was squeezed out of the mixer, and squish it into a mold. There were four molds to a frame, and then take a leveling stick across the top. Clyde, Herman and Eddie shoveled the clay, and Clifton, Loyal and I would set it out on the ground to dry. We'd let it dry so long, then turn it on the edge so that it could finish drying, then turn the bricks out, and stack them. Most of the homes in Nephi were made with adobes that Dad made. When we used up all the clay that was on the farm, we moved out west of town and made adobes there. Many of those homes are still standing. We had two or three thousand chickens, and we had to feed, clean coops, and gather the eggs. We also had cows, and they had to be milked. When Clyde went on his mission, that became my steady job. We moved to Knightsville (by Eureka) and Dad worked in the mines. We were in Knightsville when I was born. We moved back to Nephi when I was one year old , then back to Knightsville in 1911. While we were there, Loyal was working for the grocery store, and had brought a load of coal from Eureka. He had to go up a steep hillside to deliver it. When he went to turn the wagon around the horses ran away, and tipped the wagon over. They dragged him under the wagon for about a block, then there was a rut in the road, and he rolled into it. The wagon went on over him. When the horses went running out of the alley, they went looking for Loyal. They took him home and called Dad at the mine. They also called the Dr. When Dad got home, the Dr. hadn't showed up, so he said "Get your horse. You're going with me." I got my horse, and when we got to the Dr.'s office and there he sat with his feet up on his desk. Dad had a revolver and he poked the Dr. in the ribs with that, and he said, "Get on the move. Grab your satchel and get running. The Dr. said, "I will have to call for my horse." Dad said never mind calling, yo u just start running, and we'll see that you do, for we'll be right behind you on our horses, and they'll be running, and if you don't keep out of their way, they'll run over you." He went fast enough, he kept out of their way. We couldn't have missed him if he'd slowed down. Nothing would have saved him, the horses would have been right on top of him. I was on one side, and Dad on the other, and he made time. He went right up to the livery stable, and they got his horse ready in a hurry, and we started for Knightsville. Dad was on one side and I was on the other, and we used our quirts. When we got there, all three horses were white with sweat. The Dr. went in and ran his hand over Loyal. Loyal said, "Oh, that hurts." The Dr. said, "I can't feel it." For two days he laid there and the Dr. didn't do one thing for him. Dad said that this couldn't go on, so we took him to the train and Dad took him to Provo to the hospital. The Drs. there worked on him for two days, then called in another Dr. He came in, and said "Look at this right here." He had the other Dr. feel it, and when he did his expression changed, and they found three places full of pus. They had to operate, and found three broken ribs, his heart was damaged, plus all the infection. He never was really well from that time on. He did serve a mission in California, and once there were 13 missionaries standing in a safety zone, when a truck came into the safety zone, and hit 11 of those elders. Loyal was the first one hit, and it broke his back in three places. The Drs. gave him no hope whatsoever. He recovered, and was home for Christmas. At the hospital the Dr. said "There is a power higher than man that caused you to recover. Medical science couldn't have done it." Loyal said that he did more missionary work while in the hospital than anywhere else on his mission. They released him two months early because of the leakage of his heart caused by his accident. He lived long enough to marry, and have two children, but died as a very young man. Dad owned a Merry-go-round from about 1905 to 1911 when he sold it. He also owned a roller skating rink. He ran the Merry-go-round in the summer, and the rink in the winter. He traveled all over Utah, Idaho, and Colorado. Clyde, and I and some of the other boys went with him, and it was lots of fun. In the fall we'd put the machine away. He'd put it in the garage we had, and we had it hooked up to the electric motor, and we would go out there and play. We had a lot of fun on it. Just before the War started, he got a thrashing machine. He went out on lease thrashing corn. Ernest and I had a bunch of pigs, so we'd go with him and clean up everything that fell out of the machine, and feed it to our pigs. That became our war project. George was called into the service. Clyde came home from his mission and was only home about a month, and he had to go into the service too. He was sent to Camp Lewis, and George was still here for a week, so they saw each other for a while. Then George was sent overseas. Clyde was too, a little later, but Clyde never got to the front lines, and George was in the worst of the fighting. While the war was still on, the family moved to Provo, and Dad got a job as a machinist with the Provo Foundry. When he formed a union, they fired him. He then went to work for the railroad. Clifford was 16 when we moved to Provo, and some of his friends came up from Nephi to celebrate the New Year. They went out and had a good time, and he went to bed feeling fine. When Clifford woke up in the morning he was burning up with fever. Dad sent the other boys home, because he was afraid of what he had. (It was the terrible flu epidemic of 1918-19) Before they could get a Dr. he had gone into a coma, and he never came out of it. He lived six days. He died on the 6th of January, 1919. Clyde and George were over in France. When they had the funeral they wouldn't let any of us out of the house. They brought the casket up on the porch, and opened it by the window. After the War, Clyde went to barber school in Salt Lake. He worked in Nephi as a barber for several years. He later worked on the railroad, as he didn't really like barbering.

Life timeline of George Herman Carter

George Herman Carter was born on 1 Sep 1895
George Herman Carter was 13 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
George Herman Carter was 22 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
See More
George Herman Carter was 34 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
George Herman Carter was 44 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
George Herman Carter was 49 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
See More
George Herman Carter was 60 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
See More
George Herman Carter was 68 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
See More
George Herman Carter died on 16 Dec 1975 at the age of 80
Grave record for George Herman Carter (1 Sep 1895 - 16 Dec 1975), BillionGraves Record 9450 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States