George C. Scott Sr

8 Jul 1840 - 1 Aug 1923

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

George C. Scott Sr

8 Jul 1840 - 1 Aug 1923
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

As part of the Utah Centennial Celebration an article appeared in the Daily Herald, January 20, 1996 discussing the existence of “monsters” in the Utah Lake. The article was written by D. Robert Carter, a local historian and featured an ancestor George C. Scott, son of Sarah Sleeper and Andrew H

Life Information

George C. Scott Sr


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States



Headstone Description

Cornelia E. Scott - Wife of George C. Scott Sr.


June 6, 2011


April 11, 2020


April 19, 2020


June 5, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of George C.


George C. Scott Sr is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Water Monsters on Utah Lake?? George C. Scott was a Believer

Contributor: doddemagen Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

As part of the Utah Centennial Celebration an article appeared in the Daily Herald, January 20, 1996 discussing the existence of “monsters” in the Utah Lake. The article was written by D. Robert Carter, a local historian and featured an ancestor George C. Scott, son of Sarah Sleeper and Andrew Hunter Scott. The article discusses how Indians believed in “water babies”. “Most accounts agree that the Water Beings had long, black hair and cried like babies. Their task was to lure people into the water or swallow them and carry them into the depths. The lake or stream then became the victims’ home.” The early pioneers, many of whom came from England and Denmark, were told about the Water Babies; but putting a different twist on the story, found it easier to believe in the familiar dragons, kraken and sea monsters of their homeland. The article discusses man sightings on Utah Lake one included “the most detailed report of a sighting” made by George C. Scott when he was 8 years old. “In June of 1880, both the (Deseret Evening) News and the (Utah County) Enquirer reported a monster sighting. Two truthful and intelligent young boys, Willie Roberts and George Scott, were taking a spring bath in Utah Lake near Provo. The boys had swum out a fair distance when they noticed something that looked like a dog or a beaver swimming toward them. They didn’t pay much attention to the animal until they heard a lion-like roar. “Looking up, they saw a strange animal approaching them ‘occasionally raising itself out of the water and showing its four legs which were as long as a man’s arm’. The animal’s head appeared to be 2 or 3 feet long and its mouth, which looked like that of an alligator, looked 18 inches wide. “The frightened boys swam toward shore as quickly as they could, and the strange animal followed making ‘savage gestures’. When they finally reached land, they turned and saw that the animal was only a few yards from shore. Not waiting to see if the creature could travel on land as well as it did in water, the two friends hurried home to tell their parents of the experience. “The terror-stricken manner in which the boys told their story convinced their parents and neighbors that the animal the boys had seen was a monster or something equally frightful.” An article appeared by D.T. LeBaron of Springlake which seemed for the time to debunk the boy’s story, but the author notes that people were “probably privately debating the pros and cons of monster life in Utah Lake for many more years, however”. He also includes a warning at the end of his article. “For more than 70 years now, nothing further has been reported on the status of the monster. However, future water skiers may want to keep a sharp watch for the missing kraken". Note: Thanks to Philip Sabey for sharing this fun and interesting article. Local resident may want to watch for this water monster sighted by such a credible witness and report any findings to this website. The Andrew Hunter Scott Bulletin, No. 59, Winter-Spring 1996

George Comb Scott

Contributor: doddemagen Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

George Comb Scott was born 8 July 1840 at Vincentown, New Jersey to Andrew Hunter Scott and Sarah Leeds Sleeper. His parents were married 18 February 1838. George was the first son born to the family. He has three sisters and one brother. Mary Emma, born 21 February 1843 and married to George W. Ivins; Hyrum, born 1 April 1845 and died 17 June 1852 and twins Ann Elizabeth and Ann Margaret born 17 June 1852. Ann Elizabeth died 12 October 1849 and Ann Margaret died 11 November 1851. Andrew Hunter Scott first heard of Mormonism in 1840 and was baptized 17 September 1843. He was ordained and elder and was called by Jedediah M. Grant to preach the gospel in Philadelphia and the surrounding area. Later he filled another mission to the southwestern part of New Jersey. Elder Scot went west with Elder Grant and other in the fall of 1845 and joined with the Saints in Nauvoo. Here he met Brigham Young and other Church leaders and subsequently endured the mobs and tribulations that were heaped upon the Saints there. He returned to the East with the intentions of moving his family to Nauvoo. His wife, Sarah, thought Mormonism was evil and was torn between her convictions and her sense of duty to her husband. She was well educated and refined woman who taught school and was a devout Methodist. She decided to go with Andrew, but the night before they were to start for Utah he was stricken with typhoid fever. Sarah believed the Lord had given her a sign and so steadfastly refused to go to the Mormon country. Andrew eventually recovered and in spring 1850 he thought she would surely go if he took the children. Sarah took the girls and left George and Hyrum with the neighbors. When Andrew could not find his wife and daughters he took the two small boys, in company with some Saints and left Pennsylvania going as far west as Kanesville Iowa. They didn’t have enough money to get to Salt Lake City, so Andrew bought a farm for $75.00 and started farming. In Kanesville Andrew married Sarah Ann Roe on 12 January 1851. She was a real wife to him and mother to his two little boys. This family came to Utah in September 1850 in the Morris Phelps Company using one yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows, which they milked on the way. Once, they thought George was lost and they looked for him everywhere, thinking that he was lost somewhere on the road. They finally found him hiding under some bedding in another wagon. They stayed in Salt Lake City that winter in a log house in the Ninth Ward. In spring 1852 they moved to Provo and bought a farm in the west part of Provo on the banks of the Little Dry Creek, which joined the Provo River. The land was covered with grass, willow, cottonwood trees, and Indian wicki-ups. Their first home was a wagon box, then a log house with a dirt floor and roof, no windows, and only one door. In June of that year, little seven-year-old Hyrum became ill with a severe fever and died. He was buried up in the hills east of Provo. The settlers began having trouble with the Indians so Andrew moved into town to property located at Fourth South between Fifth and Sixth West. George left Provo at age 17 on Tuesday, 15 September 1857 with a company of armed cavalry to scout the movements of Johnston’s Army in Echo Canyon. He also was an Indian War veteran and participated in many of the campaigns against the red men. He was a member of the small army that quelled the Indian uprising known as the Walker War. He also fought in the Black Hawk Indian War. In this campaign his name was not on the official registrar, consequently he was not entitled to a pension. He did have a medal and ribbon showing that he was in the war. As a young man, George was liked by his companions and was the life of the party because of his jovial disposition, being full of wit, fun and laughter. His social life consisted of dances and parties in the homes where they played games, sang songs, told riddles and stories, had spelling bees and put on home dramatic plays. As money was not plentiful, their dance and theater tickets were paid for in produce. It was at one of these socials that George met a young girl named Cornelia Elminia Kennedy. He courted her and they were married 25 December 1861 in Provo. George became interested in agriculture and wanted to leave Provo and move north of the Provo River to new ground and new settlement, but his father greatly opposed the idea and told him there was nothing up there but Indians and Gadianton robbers. He and Cornelia moved anyway and homesteaded 160 acres of land. Their first home was of logs and rocks, built on the higher ten acres of land. Later they built a frame home east and south of the same 160 acres. They stayed there until 1906 when they purchased Joe Madsen’s home in Lakeview. Their home on the 160 acres was purchased by the DiLatouche family who were French Huguenots. The following children were born to this couple: Anna Eliza, who died 4 February 1863, Frances Cornelia who married Mads Peter Madsen, George Comb Scott Jr who married Josephine Jacobsen, Hulda Elvira who married Charles Nelson, Susan Elminia who married Joseph John Madsen, Sarah May who married Lars Jacobsen, Hyrum Clark who married Emily Jacobsen, Mary Emma who married Frank Hopkins, Charles sho married Lula DiLatouche, Lulu Belle who married David Lees and Anthony who died 16 August 1887. At a dance or party at the Second Ward in Provo Cornelia laid little Anna Eliza on a bench to sleep and others placed their coats over her. Later a man came and sat on the coats. When they went to go home they found the baby dead. In autumn 1873 the Lake Bottom Canal was completed. In spring 1874 the people planted many of the irrigated crops, among them plenty of sugar cane. A sorghum mill was built just south of George’s home and run by water brought down a ditch from the canal. This mill operated until fall 1887. They also raised sugar beets. George operated a sawmill in South Fork in Provo Canyon. It produced the lumber that was used to build the Provo Woolen Mills and the Provo Meeting House, which later became known as Provo Second Ward. George was a successful farmer and he loved the soil. The produce that he raised on the farm—fruit, chickens, geese and turkeys—he peddled to Park City. He was also interested in mining and had a claim up North Fork in Provo Canyon. In 1887 George was first assistant superintendent in the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Association of the Lakeview Ward. He was on the school boards for Lakeview and Vineyard in 1893 and 1894. Cornelia served as a secretary in the Relief Society on two separate occasions and was in the presidency of the Young Women’s Mutual. Cornelia did a lot of the farming with the help of her children. She was a real Yankee mother and nurse and took the sick right into her own home. Time after time she was called upon to help with the birth of a baby or lay out the dead. She was a good cook and baked the best fruit cakes for many weddings. Like all the other pioneers, she made almost everything they used—soap, tubs, buckets, brooms, beds and mattresses or feather ticks. She suffered from asthma which was very bad during certain seasons of the year. She got relief by smoking a pipe filled with herb leaves. Cornelia died 10 November 1919 at the home of her daughter, Mary Emma Hopkins and George died at age 83 on 1 August 1923 at the home of his daughter, Fanny Madsen. J. Marinus Jensen, in writing a history of Provo, spent many hours with George listening to his interesting stories of the settling of the city in all its phases. In the preface of his book, Early History of Provo, Mr. Jensen personally thanks him for his help. The information about George Scott is taken from a history written by his granddaughter, Effie Scott Sabey, with the help of her Aunt Lulu Lees.

Captured by Indians

Contributor: doddemagen Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

When George was 11 years old, he crossed the plains with his father Andrew (1851). The family moved to Provo in the spring of 1852 and bought a little farm on the banks of Little Dry Creek which was surrounded by indians with the nearest neighbor nearly a half a mile away. A few months after his seven year old brother Hyrum's death, the Indians went on the warpath and 13 year old George Comb was taken captive by the indians. They tied him to a tree and made him watch while they roasted the heart from another white boy. Somehow he was able to put his shirt high in a tree such that his stepmother Sarah Ann Roe saw and recognized it. His father in company with others went and bargained with the Indians for George's life, and he was let go after 3 days. Soon after this the family moved into Provo town locating at 5th south and 5-6th west. (see Dean and Alta Jacobsen History pp.134)

Life timeline of George C. Scott Sr

George C. Scott Sr was born on 8 Jul 1840
George C. Scott Sr was 19 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
George C. Scott Sr was 20 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
George C. Scott Sr was 37 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
George C. Scott Sr was 49 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
George C. Scott Sr was 54 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
George C. Scott Sr was 68 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
George C. Scott Sr was 72 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
George C. Scott Sr died on 1 Aug 1923 at the age of 83
Grave record for George C. Scott Sr (8 Jul 1840 - 1 Aug 1923), BillionGraves Record 11144 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States