Frederick Yeates

11 Jan 1838 - 17 Sep 1926

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Frederick Yeates

11 Jan 1838 - 17 Sep 1926
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Autobiography of Frederick Yeates Born 1-11-1838 I, Frederick Yeates, was born of goodly parents on the eleventh day of January 1838, in the County of Worcester, Parish of Hampton Lovett, England. I was taught to pray in early youth and through these teachings I commenced to seek the Lord and was vi

Life Information

Frederick Yeates


Millville City Cemetery

274 East 100 North
Millville, Cache, Utah
United States


May 8, 2013


May 6, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Frederick


Frederick Yeates is buried in the Millville City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Frederick Yeates Born 1-11-1838

Contributor: Southerngal Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Autobiography of Frederick Yeates Born 1-11-1838 I, Frederick Yeates, was born of goodly parents on the eleventh day of January 1838, in the County of Worcester, Parish of Hampton Lovett, England. I was taught to pray in early youth and through these teachings I commenced to seek the Lord and was visited by His Holy Spirit. I knew of the goodness of God and on this account was much troubled because of my many weaknesses, for I knew I was at times doing wrong and supposed that I should have to suffer for every wrong done by me. When I was about eight years old, an important event took place in my life. At that time my mother was very sick and the doctor said that she could not life. These tidings gave me great anxiety of mind. I well remember that I was sent after my Aunt to a place called Brines Green. I do not know whether this is the proper name or not. This place was about one and one-half miles from my home. On the way as I was going, I knelt down under a hedge and prayed to the Lord. There I made a covenant with the Lord that I would serve Him all the days of my life if He would restore my mother. At once I felt comforted and went on to my aunt’s home. Her name at that time was Ann Stone (later Hymers). She came as soon as possible to where my parents lived. The message that I was sent to take to my aunt was this: “That she was to hurry as fast as possible for mother was not expected to life until she could get there”, so you can realize my anxiety and why I prayed so earnestly to the Lord. When my aunt and I reached home, I well remember the words she spoke. You may think this strange that I should remember this circumstance that took place so long ago. I am now 52 years of age (1890) and this circumstance which I am relating transpired when I was about 8 years of age. The first words my aunt said was, “How is Mary?”, meaning my mother, and the answer was, “She is better. She took a change about so long ago and is now sleeping.” These words I heard and I remembered my prayer and covenant that I had made. I knew that my Father in Heaven had accepted my covenant and that he had healed my mother, for every part of my whole body was affected and a strong testimony given me. Yet notwithstanding this testimony I soon forgot all about it, only as circumstances brought these things to my mind. So I lived and the time passed away. I often did things that were wrong which brought me sore repentance until I arrived at the age of 14 years and then my life began to shape itself. Shortly after that period, the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came around that part of the country where I lived. The names of these Elders were George Knight and George Davis. They were the first Latter-Day Saints I had ever heard. A notice was circulated that the Latter-Day Saints would hold a meeting at Thomas Carter’s on such and such a night. Father, mother and myself and others of our family and many of the neighbors went to the meeting. I remember that the subject the speakers talked on was that no one could be saved only by the Gospel, and they explained what the Gospel was. I believed what the Elders said and was baptized the 28th day of April 1852. Two aged sisters were baptized at the same time by Elder George Knight and we were confirmed the same night. Another testimony was given me of the Lord and it was given in this way. Now I must go back a short period to explain that I was a great reader of the scriptures and took great delight in reading about the prophets and the great men spoken of, but did not understand what I was reading about until after I was baptized. Now in continuing my narrative, as soon as I was baptized I had the spirit of which the scriptures were written and I was astonished beyond measure for they seemed so plain to me now and before so dark. This is the testimony I bare, I know how that the Holy Ghost has made them manifest to me. I know that this work is true, and I know that the protection of Heaven, has been around me, and my soul is full of joy. Yet, notwithstanding this knowledge and feeling this Heavenly joy, I found that I was full of weaknesses and often did many things that were wrong and were grievous to the Lord, which have been a cause of great sorrow and sore repentance to me. The time passed away and I was ordained a Priest under the hands of Elder John Godfrey, but cannot remember the date. Towards the close of the year 1855, an opportunity presented itself for me to immigrate to Zion the following spring. As the vessel would set sail very early, it seemed necessary for me to leave my home on the 11th of February 1856, which I did. I took a train to Liverpool and arrived there the same night. I left Liverpool on the 18th of February 1856 on the Ship Caravan and arrived in New York on 27th of March 1856. I stayed in East New York all the remainder of that year with John G. Williamson, who treated me kindly. Upon arriving in New York I had one shilling in money, which was equal to 24 cents. The other young men with me were the same. Here the blessings of the Lord followed me in a wonderful manner. We three young men started out for Philadelphia, but the Lord had another program for us and we found friends and it was necessary for us to stay in East New York until the spring of 1857. My sister Sarah came over in 1857 on the ship George Washington, which left Liverpool 28 March 1857, arriving in Boston. As soon as she arrived, she sent word that she was going on to Iowa City and was going to cross the plains that summer. As soon as I received her letter, I also made arrangements to go as far as Iowa City, not knowing whether I could cross the plains that summer or not. But my face was turned Zionward and I knew that I would be that much nearer the home of the saints. I arrived safe in Iowa City and was glad to see my sister Sarah and she was glad to see me. I assisted in starting out two hand cart trains. My sister Sarah started to cross the plains in Captain Jess B. Martin’s Company and I, through the blessings of the Lord, had a chance to follow the same season in Jacob Hoffine’s ox train. One of the bretheren by the name of Joseph Crossgrove wanted someone to drive a team, so the way was opened up for me to come along. For three months we wandered across dreary plains and over high mountains until we arrived in the valley of the Great Salt Lake. Who can measure the depth of joy and gladness that filled our souls after wandering for a thousand miles in the midst of all kinds of danger without habitation of any kind, and finding ourselves in the midst of friends and civilization and above all, the place where a kind Father had led us where we could enjoy peace. None to molest or make afraid. Oh now my heart did swell with gratitude. Again, we could learn the Will of God and from every habitation were songs of praise. The company that I arrived with enters the valley 21 September 1857. I continued to stay with Brother Crossgrove during the winter, but on account of the United States Government sending troops to the valley that year, the male portion of our people were formed into companies and I was enrolled with the rest and ready to defend our homes and rights of worship. I was ordained a Seventy on 24 December 1857 under the hands of Leonard I. Smith. In the early part of March 1858, the company to which I belonged was called to cross the mountains over Echo Canyon; snow was on the road most of the way. Captain Merrill commanded our company of fifty men. There were no teams because there was so much snow. I stayed there for two months, but during that time the governor appointed by the government went to Salt Lake City with his officers and terms were agreed upon so that we were called home and the United States troops permitted to pass through the city, but not to camp nor make their quarters within 50 miles of Salt Lake City. In the meantime, President Brigham Young called upon all the people north of Utah County to move south. It was during this move that our company arrived in Salt Lake City from our position in Echo Canyon and the sight that met my eyes I shall never forget, for it was a continual moving of wagons day and night, until all of the people had moved south with the exception of a few men to look after the crops. The cities and towns were forsaken. I moved to Springville, but soon returned to Salt Lake and was there when the troops passed through. Then I went to Springville again with a family by the name of Lousely, but soon returned to Salt Lake City again. I then hired out to a man by the name of Willis A. Baker. It was during this time that the United States Government sent commissioners with the power to pardon all who would lay down their weapons of war and submit to the authority of the United States. I do not remember how long I stayed with Brother Willis, but after that, I hired to Leoard I. Smith to attend his meat market. I do not know how long I was with him. I then hired out to Briant Stringham and stayed with him two years. After that I hired out to a man by the name of Hamp. I only stayed with him about one month. It was during the year 1859 when I was working for Brother Stringham, that my sister Esther crossed the plains in Captain George Rowley’s hand cart company. In the fall of 1860, my mother crossed the plains in Joseph W. Young’s company of church teams. In 1861 my father crossed the plains. I do not remember the name of the captain. This same year Sarah Webb crossed the plains. She became my wife on 9 November 1862 and we moved down into Sugarhouse Ward into the Claudis Spencer place. Father and mother were there also. My brother Thomas crossed the plains in 1864. We resided in Sugarhouse for about three years. In the year 1865 we moved to Cache Valley and made our home at Millville, which has been our home ever since. I followed farming for a living. I received three Patriarchal Blessings, one which I received under the hands of Charles W.Hyde on 18 October 1861; one from John Smith on 24 October 1861; and one from john young on 4 November 1861. I was a ward teacher in the west district for 28 years. In 1869 I was called to labor in the Sunday school and have acted as a teacher and in the superintendence from 1869 to 9 November 1902, 33 years and 11 months. In 1864, I received my endowments in Salt Lake City and had my wife Sarah Webb sealed to me. In 1874 Sarah Mariah Spackman, a second wife, was sealed to me. This was also done in Salt Lake City by Wilford Woodruff. During this period I was working for Brigham Young on what is now known was College Farm. I spent four years on this farm and it was during this period that we were requested to be baptized into the United Order, and a number of men were selected to go and settled on this college lane. My own name was the first on the list, but afterward we were released from the call. On 6 November 1882, I was called on a home mission to the Cache Valley Stake and set apart by William B. Preston. I returned home 2 February 1883. On 6 January 1884, I was set apart to preside over the 32nd Quorum of Seventy by Abraham H. Cannon and acted as the senior President from that date until ordained a High priest on 13 July 1902. I was called to labor in the Logan Temple on 12 March 1885 as one of the administrators and continued working there until 25 March 1887, when I was released at my own request. While at the Temple, I received another Patriarchal blessing under the hands of Zebedee Coltrin on 15 December 1885. I was called on another home mission with Henry C. ******* to the Cache Valley Stake on 6 May 1893 and was released on 22 October 1893. During 1893 I was sealed to my parents in the Logan Temple on 24 January with Nils C. Edelson officiating. I was called again to work in the Logan Temple the early part of October 1890 and was released from that call on 21 October 1890. On 8 February 1906 I was called on a short home mission to the Hyrum stake and set apart for that mission by President William C. Parkinson. I was released on 27 February 1906. On 1 September 1907 I was called on a mission to work in the Logan Temple as one of the administrators for one year. On 11 January 1888 I was first arrested for unlawful cohabitation. I appeared before Judge Henderson on 18 January and pleaded guilty. On May 18 the matter was set for sentence and on that date I was sentenced to six months and $100 and costs. I was released 19 November 1888. On 6 January 1891, I was sentenced to 45 days and costs by Judge Miner. I was released on 20 February 1891. I paid costs of $82 on 13 October 1892. I was again arrested by Marshall Smith and put under $1,000 bond and my plural wife under $500 bond to wait the action of the Grand Jury in Ogden. I don’t remember the date of the trial, but this time I was victorious and my case was dismissed. On 10 June 1910 all of my children came and surprised me at my home and each donated $1.50 towards getting me a life membership in the genealogical society of Utah. On 28 April 1912, I organized the Yeates Genealogical Society. This was for the purpose of better concentrating our efforts for and in behalf of our kindred dead. November 9, 1912 This is our Golden Wedding Day. Most of our children and grandchildren and a few friends visited us on that day and we spent a most enjoyable day. Received my release from working in the Logan Temple 28 August 1914 on account of the sickness of my wife. My dear wife passed away from this mortal life at three minutes past 8 o’clock p.m. 24 November 1914 at the age of 74 years,10 months and 21 days. In the early part of January 1915, I moved to Logan to live with my second wife, Sarah Mariah Spackman Yeates. I commenced working in the Temple 1 September 1907 as one of the administrators and am still working there. On my 83rd birthday 11 January 1921, my children in Millville invited me to Millville in honor of that day and showing that I was the father of 20 children, 84 grandchildren, and 42 great-grandchildren. Frederick Yeats took a stroke in the spring of 1926 and died 17 September 1926 at Logan, Utah, He is buried in Millville, Utah.

Frederick Yeates

Contributor: Southerngal Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

FREDERICK YEATES YEATES, Frederick - son of George Yeates and Mary Oliver Chance; born 11 Jan 1838 at Hampton Lovett, Worcester, England; died 17 Sep 1926 at Logan, Cache, Utah; married (1) 9 Nov 1862 at Salt Lake City, Utah, Sarah Webb - daughter of Anthony Webb and Elizabeth Humphris; born 3'Jan 1840 at Chedworth, Glouchester, England; died 24 Nov 1914 at MiHville, Cache, Utah; married (2) 13 Apr 1874 at Salt Lake City, Utah, Sarah Maria. Spackman - daughter of Henry Spackman and Ann Bond; born 10 May 1859 at Burbage, Wilts, England; died 10 Mar 1941 at Logan, Cache, Utah. Frederick Yeates was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 28 Apr 1852 by Elder George Knight. He was the first of his family to join and was just 14 years of age at the time. He left England for the United States on 11 Feb 1856 and arrived in New York on the Ship "Caravan" 27 Mar 1856. He arrived in Iowa City in the spring of 1857 and drove an ox team in Jacob Hoffines Ox Train, which entered Salt Lake Valley 21 Sep 1857. - -Sarah Webb was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at Chedworth, England, 13 Nov 1856 by Elder John Orcal, when she was 16 years of age. She left Liverpool, England 30 Mar 1860 on the Ship "Underwriter" and arrived in New York City six weeks later. She walked across the plains to Utah in the summer of 1860. Sarah Maria Spackman was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints in England in 1869 by her father Henry Spackman. She was blessed by George Teasdale 16 May 1859. She immigrated with her parents to Utah in 1872. Frederick worked for various people in and around Salt Lake City until 1865, when he, his wife Sarah and two small children moved to Cache Valley, where they settled in Millville east of the Blacksmith Fork River. In the spring of 1871, he obtained some land west of the river and moved across the river to what is now Nibley. His was the first family to live in this locality and had no close neighbors for several years. Millville, like other established settlements,received calls from Church Authorities to send outfits to eastern points to help immigrants get to Utah and Frederick Yeates made several trips. It was on a similar mission that his younger brother Thomas lost his life. Frederick, in response to a call from Church Leaders, engaged in the practice of plural marriage by taking a second wife. He was arrested three times for unlawful cohabitation and served two jail sentences. Frederick arid his father, George Yeates, opened a small store in Millville. Later his father started a cider mill west of the store to make cider and vinegar. Frederick located his second family at the store and he and his wife Sarah Maria', operated the store in connection with the Post Office. Frederick Yeates is included in the book "Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah". After the listing of his ancestry and families, the following comments are made: "High Priest; seventy. Held many positions of trust. Is now working in the Logan Temple."

Life timeline of Frederick Yeates

Frederick Yeates was born on 11 Jan 1838
Frederick Yeates was 2 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Frederick Yeates was 22 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Frederick Yeates was 23 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Frederick Yeates was 37 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Frederick Yeates was 43 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
Frederick Yeates was 61 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Frederick Yeates was 71 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Frederick Yeates was 79 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Frederick Yeates died on 17 Sep 1926 at the age of 88
Grave record for Frederick Yeates (11 Jan 1838 - 17 Sep 1926), BillionGraves Record 3820374 Millville, Cache, Utah, United States