Fransis Vance Beck

12 May 1863 - 9 Jan 1937


Fransis Vance Beck

12 May 1863 - 9 Jan 1937
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Fransis Vance Beck (12 May 1863 - 9 Jan 1937) at Alpine Cemetery in Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Fransis Vance Beck
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Fransis Vance Beck


Alpine Cemetery

283 N 300 E
Alpine, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

See also Supporting Record #920397 Death Certificate for details of parents, etc.


May 28, 2011


May 26, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Fransis Vance...

We found more records about Fransis Vance Beck.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Fransis Vance


Fransis Vance Beck is buried in the Alpine Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Obituary and biography for Julius Conrad Beck

Contributor: LaurelinTree Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Taken from the document added to Family Search by Dale W Adams Julius Conrad Beck one of the seven children of Frederick and Hendeka Hansen Beck, was born in Aalborg, Denmark, November 3, 1860. His father, Frederick Beck was one of a family of ten sons and five daughters and when a young man took part in the war between Denmark and Germany. Shortly after his return home, he heard of Mormonism through some friends and was curious to learn of the new doctrine. He and his wife were at once convinced of its truthfulness and both were baptized. In the spring of 1866, with their three small children, Emma, Janius, and Julius, (who was then six years of age started on the long journey to Utah. They arrived in Salt Lake City in October, 1866, and remained there two years. From there they came to Alpine and established a permanent home. He was baptized when about ten years of age and accepted the ordinations of the Priesthood from Deacon to High Priest, always counting such as a gift from God. When a young man he took up the occupation of farming and has been one of the successful farmers of our community. March 13, 1889 he was married to Rhoda Francis Vance in the Logan Temple and they became the parents of six sons. He was one of the first chairmen of the Old Folks committee in our ward and held the tosition (position) for twelve years. For a long time he was a member of the Home Dramatic Co. and being musically inclined was a great help in the ward choir and various glee clubs. In 1904 he was appointed ward clerk and for twelve years with the help of his good wife the records were neatly and accurately kept. He was active in the quorums of the Priesthood and was set apart in 1905 as one of the seven Presidents of Seventy. He worked at different times in practically all the organizations of the ward and in August, 1903 left his home to fill a mission to his native land. For the entire two years he labored among his own relatives teaching them the plan of salvation. Two years after he returned home he sent his oldest son, Wesley, on a three years mission to New Zealand, and two of his sons, Wesley and Sidney, assisted in the late World War. At the time of his death he was chairman of our new church building committee and often expressed a desire to live it see its completion. His health has been failing the past few years and at times he had suffered intensely. His last illness was only of a few days duration and the family did not realize the end was so near. He had great faith in the administration of the Elders and they were often called in that his suffering might be allayed. In his last moments he called for them but the pain was so intense that he asked for a second administration and while the servants of God prayed that he be relieved of his suffering he passed quietly and peacefully away before the prayer was ended. Besides his wife he leaves five sons: Wesley J of Pleasant Grove, Sidney M and Horace T of American Fork, Owen V and Loy of Alpine. Twelve grandchildren and two sisters, Mrs Emma McDaniel and Mrs Ella Martin also survive.

Rhoda Freestone

Contributor: LaurelinTree Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Rhoda Freestone is the second wife of John Wesley Vance Rhoda Freestone Vance was born December 24, 1844 at Huntsville, Harden County, Ohio. She was the daughter of Thomas Freestone and Ann Fall. Thomas and family joined the church in 1840. They were Methodists before hearing the gospel. They started for Zion August 1852. They sold their little farm for a light wagon and hitched up two unbroken cows and put all their belongings in it. They averaged about 12 miles per day. The weather was very bad most of the way. On Christmas day they arrived at Pisgah, Iowa. By this time their food supply was practically gone. Rhoda's mother Ann looked out of the wagon and saw a large flock of turkey nearing the wagon. She called her husband and he hurriedly grabbed his gun and shot one large turkey. They knew they had been greatly blessed. It was the only turkeys they had seen during the entire journey. The found what work they could and were paid in corn meal and beef. As soon as weather permitted they continued to Council Bluffs and arrived there in April. Rhoda said she could remember looking back when she was walking in the snow, leaving blood at every step as her shoes were worn out. She walked almost the entire 1000 miles. Only when she was exhausted was she put on the back of one of their faithful animals that she might be relieved for a while. One night when they spent the night on the Platte River, she awoke in the morning with a high fever. It had rained all night. Water was running under her bed which was made on the ground. Her mother took one look at her and pronounced her trouble - measles. It was at Council Bluff that a company of 50 wagons were organized and on June 10 1853 they started for Salt Lake City, arriving in the valley the middle of September 1853 They lived at American Fork for one year and then moved to Mountainville, which later became known as Alpine. Rhoda well remembered when the grasshoppers came and the rescue by the seagulls. Her mother joined the Saints and beat the grasshoppers until she fell exhausted. She had a nursing baby at the time. Food was so scarce they lived on greens for some time - pigweeds being the main source. When Rhoda was between the age of 13 and 14 she did house work to supplement their meager income. She worked in the home of Major John Wesley Vance at the time his wife had a baby. One night, with his wife's permission, the Major asked Rhoda to go to the dance with him, as he played the violin for the dances. The Major's wife Angelia insisted she wear her nice dress. We can imagine the rugged character of these wonderful women when we find that Angelia later made the wedding dress for Rhoda after consenting to the marriage of her husband to this lovely girl. This marriage took place when Rhoda was only fifteen years of age. It was on November 17, 1859, And again on 2 March 1861. I do not know why they were sealed twice, except in the early days of the church the members had ordinances performed again that were out of order.) To this union two sons and a daughter were born. James Wesley was the eldest, then Frances and the youngest, George Frank. When George Frank was but an infant, Major John Wesley was killed by the Indians in an ambush. Sorrow struck a cruel blow again when little Frank passed away, from diphtheria. Her son James Wesley proved to be a faithful and noble son. From the time of his father's death he took care of his mother. Rhoda made her home with her son and family until her death and a devoted daughter could never have given more care or love than Lilly Darnell Vance given to her husband's mother. Rhoda was a faithful Latter Day Saint to the end. Although, her life had been one of many hardships, enduring poor health for the last fifteen or twenty years of her life, she was never heard to complain.

Life History of Julius Conrad Beck

Contributor: LaurelinTree Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Julius Conrad Beck taken from the book "In Memory of the Becks" compiled by Stephen F Beck Julius Conrad Beck, one of the seven children of Frederick Beck and Henrika Hansen was born in Aalborg, Denmark November 3, 1860 making him 69 years of age at the time of death. His father Fredrick Beck was one of a family of 10 sons and 5 daughters. While a young man Fredrick took part in the war between Denmark and Germany. Soon after his return home he heard of Mormonism and he and his wife were convinced of its truthfulness and were baptized. In the spring of 1866 with their three small children, Emma, Julius, and Janius started on the long journey to Utah. Julius was six years old at that time. The ocean voyage covered a period of nine weeks The trip across the plains also took them nine weeks and was made entirely by ox teams. In the same company with the Beck family was Andrew Jensen who later became assistant Church Historian. They arrived in Salt Lake City on October,1866 and remained there for two years. In 1868 they moved to Alpine, Utah County, where they homesteaded a tract of ground on the bench north of the mouth of American Fork canyon. They engaged in farming and Fredrick had learned the trade of a mason in Denmark so he was engaged in building many of the dwellings in Alpine. He was known as Mason Beck Julius was baptized when he was about 10 years of age and held all the offices of the Priesthood from a deacon to a high priest. He followed the occupation of farming and acquired considerable property. He married Rhoda Francis Vance March 13, 1889, in the Logan Temple Francis was the daughter of John Wesley Vance and Rhoda Freestone. They became the parents of six sons Wesley, Julius, Owen Vance, Sidney McCuIlough. Loy and Douglas. The latter died in infancy. The others grew to manhood and were married. Although Julius' schooling consisted of only one season under Richard T. Booth he was a man of sound judgment and belonged to many committees in the ward. He was one of the first chairmen of the Old Folks Committee and held this assignment for twelve years. He was a member of the Home Dramatic Club and being musically inclined took part in Glee Clubs and the ward choir. In 1906 he was set apart as one of the seven presidents of the Seventies. In 1904 he was appointed as Ward Clerk and for twelve years with the help of his good wife he kept the ward records accurately. In August 1903 he left his family of a wife and small children to fulfill a mission to his native land Denmark where he met and converted some of his own relatives who later came to Utah. It is an achievement of distinction how his wife managed the farm and the family of small children for two years. He was an excellent carpenter, especially in building hay barns and stock corrals and mangers. None could equal his good judgment and the durability of his work. He built many buildings in Alpine and did considerable building for his cousin Jacob Beck on his ranches at Highland, Goshen, and Gunnison, Utah. He would go into the canyons and select the best timber and bring the largest poles and construct the largest and strongest hay derricks that were built in the valley. Much of his work will be standing for years to come. It was a pleasure to work with him. He was always jolly and good natured, never complaining about a hard task. He was very careful to see that no one was injured in the hazards of building the large high hay derricks. You never had to worry about the time and the long hours he worked. He always gave an honest days work. Stephen F. Beck wrote the following: In the evening when he and I were away from home on some job we would converse far into the night about the Gospel and he would relate the experiences he had with his relatives, the Becks, in Denmark while he was on his mission there. I shall never forget an incident that took place on the Goshen ranch. One of the men took seriously ill with a bad cold which was more like pneumonia. We were a long way from a Doctor and something had to be done as he was unable to breathe. Julius said if you will kill a fat chicken I will make a plaster. A chicken was killed and a plaster was placed on the sick man's chest. Then he said "This will either kill or cure." The next morning the man was much better, but when the plaster was removed all the skin came with it. The sick man was soon well and able to work again. Two years after his return from his mission to Denmark he sent his son Wesley on a three-year mission to New Zealand. In 1917 Wesley and Sidney assisted in the first world war. At the time of his death he was chairman of the new church building committee. His health had been good up until a week before he died. He died November 18, 1929 while the elders whom he had called administered to him. The direct cause was a heart ailment. He was the father of six children, the grandfather of eighteen and the great grandfather of twenty-three.

Life timeline of Fransis Vance Beck

Fransis Vance Beck was born on 12 May 1863
Fransis Vance Beck was 15 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Fransis Vance Beck was 20 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
See More
Fransis Vance Beck was 33 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
See More
Fransis Vance Beck was 45 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
Fransis Vance Beck was 51 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Fransis Vance Beck was 66 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
Fransis Vance Beck died on 9 Jan 1937 at the age of 73
Grave record for Fransis Vance Beck (12 May 1863 - 9 Jan 1937), BillionGraves Record 2505 Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States