Etta Mary Bass

14 Jan 1903 - 26 Mar 1986

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Etta Mary Bass

14 Jan 1903 - 26 Mar 1986
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Etta Mary Bass (14 Jan 1903 - 26 Mar 1986) at Monticello City Cemetery in Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Etta Mary Bass


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015


April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Etta Mary


Etta Mary Bass is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



William Stevens son of Roswell Stevens

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

A Life Sketch of William Stevens By Abbie Stevens Young William Stevens was a son of Roswell Stevens, who was born in Connecticut, February 27, 1772, and Sybil Spencer, who was born April 4, 1778, in Washington Berkshire, Massachusetts. William was born October 1, 1799, in Arkansaw, Herkimer County, New York. We next find the family living in Branford, New York, where the second child was born. In 1808 they were living on the Grand River in Upper Canada. In 1816 they were in the town of Chipeway, Upper Canada. Mention is also made of their having lived in London, Canada, also Gore District near Mount Pleasant and finally in Mount Pleasant, Upper Canada. This is all the information I have been able to obtain concerning his early life. In searching the history of Connecticut for genealogical information, I found where the early settlers of Northeastern Connecticut were driven from their homes by the Indians and a number of families, including the Stevens family, went up into the State of New York. William Stevens married September 2, 1827, Marinda Thomas, who was born June 27, 1809, in New Jersey. She was a daughter of David Thomas and his wife Ellen of Mount Pleasant, Upper Canada. Some believed and were baptized that same year, others were baptized the following year, but William deferred his baptism until June, 1837. The family emigrated from Canada in 1838, with the intention of going to Missouri but having heard of the troubles of the Saints in the State, they wintered in Illinois and joined the Saints in their gathering place in Commerce (Nauvoo), Hancock County, Illinois. Here he became acquainted with the Prophet Joseph Smith. During the exodus of the Saints in 1846, he came West and remained together with seventy-five other families at Council Bluffs, where there was a large branch of the church, with James Allred as Bishop. While residing there, William’s wife and son Walter were baptized in 1847. His wife was not strong and the trials and hardships endured by the Saints in those perilous times told heavily upon her health. This, with the care of her large family, who all came in less that nineteen years, and the loss by death of four of her children, one being her eldest daughter who died very suddenly, one a little girl of five years old, and two younger sons, caused her health to become worse and a few weeks after the birth of her last child, she passed away on the 27th of June, 1848, her thirty-nine birthday. The baby died August of that year. Thus, in a brief space of time, William buried his wife and five of their children. He had in his employ, to assist in the care of his wife and family, Matilda Yancey. She remained with them and on the 6th of August, 1852, became his wife. She was indeed a mother to his children and her memory they love and revere. In the summer of 1850, they started West in William Snow’s company, arriving in Salt Lake City, on October 1, 1850. On the fourth of October, three days later, the Stevens family moved south and located a spring which is now known as the “Stevens Spring”. It is located on the State Highway between Pleasant Grove and American Fork. Two large rooms built of hewn logs were soon erected to serve as their home. All the North end of Utah Valley attended all church meetings, school, dances, and other amusements, in this building, until the Indians drove them into a Fort in 1853. His son, Walter, built an adobe house, consisting of two rooms and a basement in Pleasant Grove, (then known as Battle Creek). This house was also used for meetings, school and dancing for a time. After three years sojourn here, William Stevens was called to help settle the Southern part of the Territory and the family went as far south as Fillmore, when Apostle Erastus Snow, who had charge of the colonies in the Southern part of the state said, “Brother Stevens, will it make any difference to you if you do not go any farther south than Fillmore?” His reply was, “no, Brother Snow, I am ready to locate wherever you say you want me, and since my grain and other supplies are already in Pleasant Grove, it would be quite an advantage to me to not have to haul them farther than Fillmore.” “All right, Brother Stevens, it will be Fillmore” How characteristic of the true gospel convert was the spirit or our early day Pioneers! How aptly it was expressed by the poet, “I’ll go where you want me to go dear Lord, I’ll be what you want me to be.” Such a man was William Stevens, and after a sojourn of two years in Fillmore, during which time he built another home, Apostle Erastus Snow again came to him and said, “Brother Stevens, will it make any difference to you if you do not remain in Fillmore but go over to Cedar Spring and help colonize there?” Again cam the unhesitating reply, “Brother Snow, I am ready and willing to go where I am called.” “Alright then, Brother Stevens, we want you at Cedar Springs.” The following account is coped from the History of Holden: “Holden, or Cedar Springs as it was formerly called, was settled the 15th day of June, 1855, by ten families called by church leaders to leave their homes in Fillmore and go about nine miles north and make a settlement on the creek or by the springs. The first families to arrive were those of William Stevens and Richard Johnson. They were soon followed by eight other families.” Fillmore was designed as the Capitol of the territory in 1851, a year after the official designation of Utah as a United States Territory. Both town and county were named after President Millard Fillmore, who signed the papers to make Utah a Territory. A State house was built in Fillmore. The Legislature met first in this historic building during the session for the 1855-56 Biennium, the first and only full session held there. At that session, Heber C. Kimball was President of the Council (Senate) and Jedediah M. Grant was the Speaker of the House. But thereafter, it was found more convenient to transact business in Salt Lake City. Afterwards, the Legislature convened each year at Fillmore and immediately adjourned to Salt Lake City. The Sixth Territorial Legislature officially designated Salt Lake City as the Capitol in place of Fillmore. William Stevens was a member of the Territorial Legislature during the 1856-57 Biennium. He also was a member of the High Priest’s Quorum. 1n 1861, he was called to furnish three yoke of oxen to cross the plains and assist the immigrants to Utah. It was his son, David R., who took the outfit through. William Stevens was a very successful farmer and stock-raiser. He not only raised both beef and dairy cattle, but horses and sheep as well. He was very industrious, kind and generous. When his daughter Rachel’s husband went on a mission to England, he had her move to Holden from Pleasant Grove. HE provided her with a place to live and helped to provide for her needs of her and her three small children. In his characteristic way, he took he into his kitchen and lifting the lid of one bin, said, “Now here is flour.” Then lifting the lid of another bin, said, “And here is sugar. Use all you want of it, but don’t waste any.” His wife, Matilda, daughter Rachel and three of his daughters-in-law were expert in making a superior quality of butter and cheese which found a ready market at attractive prices. Even the buttermilk became famous, so that for many years Holden was known far and near as “Buttermilk Fort.” This was due to the fact that freighters traveling to and from Salt Lake City and the Dixieland, found Holden a convenient and friendly camping place where they were generously provided with refreshing buttermilk. It was necessary for the early settlers to build and live in a fort for protection against the Indians whose ward and depredations were a serious and dangerous menace at the time. The new settlement was also called “Cedar Springs” in its early days, but at the advent of a Post Office, it was officially named Holden. As so this became his permanent home where he lived the remainder of his life, and his name has been handed down in honor and reverence. Many deeds of benevolence, kindness and charity are still remembered and spoken of him. I will not attempt to write of them in great detail but will only mention a few briefly and they will suffice to show who was the index to his whole life. During the pioneer days in Millard County, the dam at Deseret went out and the settlers lost their crops. The next spring, some of the people there had no flour for bread or seed wheat for planting. William Stevens at Holden had a granary full of wheat. Speculatators from Fillmore came to buy it and offered him five dollars per bushel for it, to sell at a still higher price to the needy in Deseret, intending to take a mortgage on their crops for security. William Stevens refused to sell them a single bushel of his wheat, but sent the entire amount, as a free gift, to the needy in Deseret, to be distributed to them by their Bishop, according to their individual needs. And again, when the settlers in Sanpete County had their horses stolen by the Indians, leaving some of them without a team to plow their land for planting of crops, he gathered up all of the young and usable horses he had on the range and sent a band of thirty to the Bishop, to be given to the brethren who had been thus robbed. A blacksmith living in Deseret during the early settlement of that town, moved to Pioche, a mining town in Nevada. His wife’s mother was living with them in Deseret, but when he moved and left her alone and un-provided for William Stevens learned of this and drove to Deseret, a distance of thirty miles from Holden, and rescued the woman from her sorry plight. He took her to his own home where he gave her the care and tenderness that he would have bestowed upon on one of his own family, for the remainder of her life and buried her at his own expense in his family burying plot. Before William Stevens died, he wrote a letter to President Brigham Young, in which he said that he had never been called to go on a mission to preach the gospel, but had been permitted to remain at home with his family and attend to his business affairs; that the Lord had greatly prospered him in all of his undertakings and now he desired to make a gift to the church to be used in the benefit of families of men called to fill foreign missions, and the emigration of the poor saints, and he asked that a responsible man be sent down to receive the gift. The man came and gift consisted of $5300 gold coin. He was always a generous and regular subscriber to the Perpetual Immigration Fund and also made other smaller gifts to the Church at various times. Truly, “he who giveth to the poor lendeth unto the Lord.” He died the 5th of February, 1877, and was buried at Holden, Millard County, Utah.

History - from his mother Etta Bass Barton

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

.....After spending three years in LaSal, my sister Mary and I went to Thompson to work. I was waiting tables and Mary was a chamber maid. I worked until I was seventeen or eighteen and then I married Alexander Gilbert Ralston. We had two children. A daughter Jean was born February 20, 1922 and a son, Mark was born September 16, 1923. Our marriage didn't work out and we were divorced. I was left with two small children to raise. Life was difficult and would have been even worse if I hadn't had my parent's home to run back to every time I ran out of a job. They cared for the children when I couldn't take them with me. brother-in-law in Price helped me out by getting me a cooking job at the Country Club in Price. Evvie had gone away to college and received enough education to teach school and she was teaching at LaSal and she lived in my little home. The children were in school so I left them with mother and went to Price to work. During the Christmas holidays my son, Mark, had been visiting me. I had planned to go home for the holidays but Mrs. Nielson, the lady I was working for, wanted me to stay and work, for the holidays were the busiest time of the year. I agreed to stay. My brothers from Texas and my sister Evvie from LaSal came to visit me, but they were returning to LaSal that day. Mark really wanted to go home with them. There just wasn't room for him in the little roadster so my brother tied up the trunk and put him back there so he wouldn't disappoint him by leaving him behind. My brother was driving and the roads were fairly dry except for a few icy spots. He hit one and the car overturned throwing Mark out, and the car rolled on him and he was killed instantly. What a terrible shock this was to me. I returned home and we buried Mark on Christmas day in the LaSal cemetery. Mark was such a good boy, quiet and never a bother to anyone. I can't ever remember having to spank him, and seldom did I have to correct him. It all seems so long ago. Many things have happened since that dreadful time, and now my little boy who was only thirteen years of age seems more like a dream than a reality. From a life history of Etta Bass Barton, presented at a DUP meeting by LaVerda Barton Jensen

Life timeline of Etta Mary Bass

Etta Mary Bass was born on 14 Jan 1903
Etta Mary Bass was 14 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Etta Mary Bass was 27 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Etta Mary Bass was 37 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Etta Mary Bass was 41 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Etta Mary Bass was 50 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Etta Mary Bass was 62 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Etta Mary Bass was 70 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Etta Mary Bass died on 26 Mar 1986 at the age of 83
Grave record for Etta Mary Bass (14 Jan 1903 - 26 Mar 1986), BillionGraves Record 13418870 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States