Ether Keith Aston

8 Jan 1930 - 12 Apr 2005

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Ether Keith Aston

8 Jan 1930 - 12 Apr 2005
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Ether Keith Aston (8 Jan 1930 - 12 Apr 2005) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Ether Keith Aston
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Ether Keith Aston

Married: 27 Jun 1951

Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

An image of a Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is engraved on the tombstone.

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Ether Keith...

We found more records about Ether Keith Aston.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Ether Keith


Ether Keith Aston is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



INDIANOLA Founded 1873

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

(This history was copied from a DUP history book and was probably written in the 1940s.) Indianola, originally called Thistle Valley, is located in the northern end of Sanpete County on Highway 89. As the name indicates, it was once the home of a tribe of Ute Indians. They settled in the protected cove in the southeast part of the valley, called Indian Hollow. Here their horses and stock could feed throughout the winter among the cedars and in the ravines of the canyon. A large part of the valley consists of grass and meadow land. It was for this reason that the early colonists of Fairview and Mt. Pleasant used this valley and Milburn valley as summer pasture for their beef, dairy herds, sheep and pigs. They constructed small movable buildings called “herd houses” or “dairy houses.” The roofs of these buildings were rounded somewhat in the manner of our sheep wagons of today and were covered with canvas. They could easily be moved about on wheels and follow the herds. In these the “herd boys” lived. One year a herd of pigs had been brought to Thistle Valley for the summer. When they were being driven back to town, the men who were driving them tried to make them travel faster. As a result they all died from becoming over heated and that particular spot on the road about half way between Indianola and Hilltop is still known as the “Hog Dugway.” Peter Gottfredson (author or Indian Depredations in Utah) along with Conderset Rowe, Caratat Rowe, Nathan Staker and his sons, Aaron and Joseph, was one of the herders of these pigs and tells of his experiences in his book. He notes that after the close of the Tintic War in 1856 the Indians were comparatively peaceful until 1863. Then they again became dissatisfied, thinking that the Whites were taking their lands and hunting grounds from them. In June 1866, Captain Albert P. Dewey of Colonel Kimball's command was ordered to establish a post in Thistle Valley. Being in the northern end of the county, it was considered the key to any attack from that direction. His command consisted of twenty-two cavalry and thirty-five infantry, the latter under Captain Jesse West. Just a few days after the establishment of this post they were attacked by a band of Indians under the leadership of Blackhawk. The battle lasted all day and Charles Brown of Draper was killed. If help had not arrived from Mt. Pleasant, there is no doubt that the Indians would have taken the camp. The mountain peak now known as “Blackhawk” was used by Chief Blackhawk and his warriors as a signal point. (*This is probably where Blackhawk Campground in Payson Canyon is now located.) Just east of this peak in the Red Cliffs is an old Indian burial ground. Undoubtedly the Indians who were killed in this vicinity during the Blackhawk War were buried there. Time and the elements have uncovered some of the war trophies and possessions that were buried with the bodies in accordance with their traditions. Many of the older Indians were also buried there after they made peace with the Whites. Later on, as fewer of them were left in the valley, some were buried in the cemetery established by the white settlers. One of the most horrible deeds committed by the Indians during the Blackhawk War was the massacre of the Given family in Thistle Valley on the morning of May 26, 1865. John Given, his wife, son, and three small daughters had settled in Thistle Valley with the intention of making it their home. They were engaged in plowing and planting crops and had several head of cattle and milk cows with calves. They were attacked by daylight and the entire family was killed instantly. Two men, Charles Brown and Charles Wager Leah, who lived with the Givens, were able to escape and go down the canyon about five miles to another small settlement and report what had happened. After murdering the family, the savages gathered up the possessions of their victims. They killed or crippled the calves, and drove off between one and two hundred head of horses and cattle in to the mountains. Except for a few small groups of people who settled in Thistle Valley for short periods of time, no attempt for a permanent settlement was made until 1873. At this time a group of men, among whom were William H. Seeley, Hyrum Seeley, Joseph N. Seeley, John H. Seeley, Ocar Barton, W. S. Seeley, Orville M. Cox, Walter Cox, and Moroni Seeley filed on homesteads and began farming and stock-raising. William H. Seeley was the first man to file a homestead claim on ground in Indianola, and his son, Berkeley Seeley, still owns and operates the original farm he filed on. The next year John Spencer of Payson was sent out as a “Mormon” missionary. He later organized a ward and was appointed bishop. He was well acquainted with Indian customs and language and acted as Indian interpreter and advisor until his death. A few years later Mormon V. Selman, Hyrum N. Tidwell and Dan Tanner came in and took up homestead claims. Dan Tanner established a dairy and cheese factory. In 1882 he built the house which still stands on the west side of the valley. This was the first large home that was built in the valley, the others being small cabins made principally of logs. Originally, Thistle Valley was an ideal place for dairy cattle and other stock, as the foot hills surrounding it were covered with grass. It was not until later when sheep were brought in after having been fed on the desert that sagebrush began growing and killed out the grass. The winter of 1879-80 was an especially severe winter and was called “the hard winter”. A heavy snow fell in November and did not thaw until March. The snow was so deep that it was difficult for a horse to walk through it. It was impossible to shovel trails, so trails were packed by constant walking over them, and most of the traveling was done on foot. Feed for stock became very scarce. John Spencer drove his cattle into one of the canyons north of the valley, thinking perhaps they could winter there among the cedars. The prolonged cold proved too much for them, however, and they all died before spring. Since then this ridge has been known as the “Boneyard”. By this time the settlement was well organized with church and a school established. The first meeting house was made of logs and was situated in the southeast corner of W. H. Seeley's homestead. This building was also used as a schoolhouse for many years. Mormon V. Selman was the first teacher in this building. Adelia Kofford taught for two years, after which Selman again taught. Quincy Simons and Ely Day were also among the early teachers. A new building was erected in 1900. It was located in the central part of town. Will Tidwell and Myron Tanner were school trustees at the time the new schoolhouse was built. Others who acted as trustees at different times were Dan Tanner and Mormon V. Selman, who also held other public offices, being at one time Justice of the Peace, road supervisor and presiding elder of the ward. The school continued to operate under the direction of the board of trustees until it was consolidated with the other schools of the county into a school district. In 1934 the school was abandoned and the children taken to Fairview by bus to attend school. In about 1883 a new meeting house was erected. The adobe or brick for the building was made locally under the direction of Lon Atwood, and the construction work was done by local men. In 1920 this building was partially destroyed by fire, and all the church records were lost. It was rebuilt again under the direction of R. H. Spencer, Bishop at the time. The Relief Society was organized in early days of the settlement by Eliza R. Snow. A Primary was also organized and became an active part of the community life. The Indians became peaceable and industrious and took and active part in community life, attending school and church with their white neighbors. Some of their reactions to the white man's way of doing things were almost childish. For instance, in building a fence, a chain was used to drag the posts to their proper position. This chain so intrigued the Indians that the last one to use the chain in the close of the day's work would hide it from the others so he could be the first one to use it the next day. The Indians had no knowledge of how to put up hay for winter use, having used the grass lands for summer pasture only. The white men showed them how to cut and stack the grass and staked off the meadows so each Indian could have his share of the hay. Thinking they needed more hay than was allotted to them, many of the Indians would to at night to the field and move the stakes so their share would be larger. Another interesting custom of the Indians was their way of paying for their purchases at the store. When R. H. Spencer opened his store he had made “script” money which he would give to the Indians in trade for their hides and produce. They in turn would pay for their purchases with their script. Instead of getting everything they wanted together and paying for it, they would select one article, pay for it, then select and pay for, one by one, the other things they wanted to buy. The success of the crops depended on how much water was available for use. As soon as a man had cleared and plowed a piece of land, he would appropriate water for it. It soon became clear that the whites, with their superior knowledge of farming would control the water. In order to give the Indians a better chance, Brigham Young called several men on missions and sent them to Indianola to plow and clear the land for the Indians. Among these men were Morman Selman, Henry Beal, Tidwell and the Cox boys. The Church then sought to buy the ground from the Whites in order to make it available to the Indians for homesteads. A number of the Whites sold their ground and left the valley, but a few of them remained. The Indians were allowed to file on the ground and assume ownership of it after living on it and tilling the soil for twenty years. Many of the farms in Indianola are still identified by the names of the Indians who originally filed homestead claims on them. Some of these were Wansutts, Skitts, Moritze, Tackipo, Moroni, Panawatts, Morump, Wopotts, James Snump, Toke. When the Indian reservation was established in Uintah by the government, the Indians of Indianola sold their ground and went to the reservation (about 1900-1) An old squaw named Nancy, who was very well known to all the Whites in the northern part of Sanpete County, was one of the last ones to leave. In the early days of the settlement a store was operated by Hyrum Seeley. He was also the first postmaster. Until the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad was constructed through the valley in 1890 the mail was brought in by a stage that came up from Thistle Junction and went on south to Fairview and other settlements. Hank Mower of Fairview was one of the early drivers of the stage. A little later a Coop store was established. This was built and operated under the firection of Henry Gardner, Dan Tanner, Hyrum Seeley, William Seeley, Mormon Selman and John Spencer. In 1889, R. H. Spencer opened a store where he carried a general stock of goods and did a good business for a number of years. In recent years the advent of modern roads and cars has made it possible for a man to carry on farming activities in Indianola and live in town. This condition has naturally brought about a decline in population, but Indianola has continued to be a prosperous farming community with its citizens engaging in general farming activities which includes stock raising, wool growing, and dry farming. At one time it was thought that wheat could not be grown in the valley because of the high altitude and comparatively short growing season. But the raising of dry land wheat became one of the chief sources of revenue for Indianola farmers. Strangely enough, the high altitude, at one time considered a drawback to wheat raising, is what makes wheat high in protein value, and thus wheat grown in Indianola is among the best produced in the state. The Payson Milling Company and the Moroni Feed Company are among the principal buyers of Indianola wheat. One of the more recent farming activities to reach prominence in Indianola is that of turkey raising. One of the state's pioneer turkey growers, and now one of the larger producers, is Ray S. Tanner. Mr. Tanner is a grandson of Dan Tanner, one of the first settlers of Indianola, a son of Myron Tanner of Fairview, who also played a prominent part in the early history of the community. From very humble beginnings back in 1923 he began with 185 turkey hens and started out to raise a flock of turkeys. He has increased his production and added to his ranch until today it is valued at well over $100,000.00. In 1923, with stock secured in Colorado and California, he raised a flock of 1,000 birds. From this flock he selected 300 hens and hatched the eggs locally in incubators. He built up to a flock of 2,200, and in 1927 he was the first individual grower in the state to ship a carload of turkeys. Throughout the years of the depression, Mr. Tanner was able to keep his ranch in operation, and since 1939, his flocks have numbered from 12,000 to 20,000. His present enlarged facilities give him storage space for fifteen cars of grain, and he operates his own feed mill and mixing plant which he built in 1939. This plant has capacity to turn out feed for 30,000 turkeys. In 1943 he began the construction of a new building. While the building is not yet completely finished, it has a brooding capacity of 10,000 turkeys and will include a cold storage plant and a quick-freeze room when equipment is available. The building is modern in every way, being lighted electrically and heated with propane gas and equipped with running water secured from the development of springs. Mr. Tanner has installed about ten miles of pipe in order to put running water to all his flocks and buildings. To his original farm, Mr. Tanner has added more property until he now has about 800 acres of ground under cultivation on which he produces about twenty percent of his feed. He now employs from five to fifteen men, and his plans for the future include a processing plant in which he will prepare his turkeys for market himself, and modern living accommodations for his employees. Perhaps nothing was greeted with so much enthusiasm and will mean more to the future development of Indianola than the coming of electric power which was brought to the valley in the spring 1946 by the Utah Power and Light Company. From Lela Aston in 2003: Mormon Vernon Selman was called as a missionary to Indianola in 1877 and stayed there until 1901. He was called to help the Indians learn to farm, speak English, and learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was my mother's father. Mary Selman was born 11 October 1901 and they left the area when she was six weeks old. Ray Tanner, turkey rancher, employed Lloyd Aston, and then his brother, Keith Aston, started working there in 1944 when he was 14 years old. Keith worked there eight summers, the last summer was in 1950, the year we were married. Ray had two daughters, but no sons to take over his business and so eventually the property was sold to people who raised beef. The new building he started constructing in 1943 was the brooder coop and had an apartment build on the south east corner. This is where we lived the first summer we were married. What a small world that I should go back to live in the tiny town where my mother was born. On October 11, 2001 we passed Indianola and I realized that it was my mother's 100th birthday that day. So my mother would have been 100 on 10-11-01. It was an interesting play on numbers.


Contributor: trishkovach Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

(Recorded and transcribed by her son, Ether Keith Aston, January 29, 1988.) My name is Isabell Brimhall Aston. I am the daughter of Ether Record Brimhall and Sophronia Lydia Smith Brimhall. I was born October 2, 1904, in Raymond, Alberta, Canada. I came from a large family. I had 9 brothers and 4 sisters. Our names are Ether Record, Alean, Enos, Wilford Woodruff, Tirza Mar, Cecil Smith, Isabell, Roland Smith, Bliss Smith, Rachel Ann, Warren L., Harold Smith, and Henry. I was born and lived in Raymond, Alberta, Canada. It was awful cold up there. My mother and dad were Americans and they had just gone up there for a visit and to work. My brother, Roland, and I were born there. I don't remember much about Canada, I was too little. I came back on a train with my mother. When I was little, we lived in Provo, Utah, at 558 East 300 South. There was a nice tree outside, and we liked to climb it and play on a swing in the back. It was a lot of fun. I had many brothers and sisters to play with. They were nice. I used to go over to the neighbor's all the time. They had a little stream of water, and the bees would go down to get a drink. My little friend, Matella Berry, and I would pet the back of the bees. None of them ever stung us. I had her for a friend for a while, but her family moved away. I went to the Maeser School for years. We had lots of fun there playing ball. My first boyfriend was at the Maeser School. He sat in front of me, and he would turn around and stare at me. Pretty soon the teacher put me in front of him, and I would turn around and stare at him. I don't know what happened to him or wherever he went. My brother, Smith, was a grade ahead of me, and they put him back with me for three weeks. The teacher felt sorry for us. They were having a play, so she gave us a nickel and told us to go to the play. We didn't have any money of our own. My mother got mad and gave the teacher her money back. When my brother, Harold, was a little baby, for days he lay unconscious. They thought that he was going to die. At last they brought in the Elders and they prayed on him. It was hard to believe. In a half an hour he was sitting up playing. Ma had him dressed in pretty little pink rompers. I remember that. About 1910, I was at home, and Grandmother Martin, Aunt Jesse, Cousin Zora, and all my little friends were there. All of a sudden something big went over the house. It made a great big noise. I thought that it was Halley's Comet. We wished that it could stay longer, but it wouldn't stay up in the sky very long. It kept going very fast. I was about 6 years old. Our family went on camping trips to Strawberry, and generally where there were lakes. We would go out on a boat and fish. My folks had an old truck, and all of us would get in it with all our bedding and food for overnight and would have a wonderful time. I did some fishing, and I had a picture of me with the biggest fish. We always caught some. I would bait my own hook, but I didn't like to do it. I didn't like to hurt the poor worms. We had a beautiful garden on my dad's place. He had plenty of chickens, too. He used to raise pigs. He had an old truck. He was called a drayman. He would haul people's furniture around. He would be called a delivery man now. My father was an elementary school teacher. I asked him why he quit teaching, and he said that he couldn't stand the noisy little brats. He also worked in the mines and worked in Canada, where he farmed. He had a lot of men working under him. My dad was born in Spanish Fork. He was tall and thin. He used to be fat, but he lost all of his weight. He was about 80 when he died. My father was quite religious, and on Sunday, he would put chairs around. They were all touching with the seat part to the outside. Everybody that came in had to kneel at those chairs, and he would pray. He always thanked the Lord for what we had. I remember it happened every Sunday. We all went to church every week. We lived right across the road from the Bonneville Ward. That sure was a good church. My mother was a beautiful blonde and had beautiful blue eyes, the prettiest ones you ever saw;. She had a fine light skin and was very pretty. She was just like a school girl all her life. My dad was handsome, too. Alean, my oldest sister, had piano lessons which were $.35 in those days. Enos, Smith, and Wilford had violin lessons. Rachel, my sister's name came from the Bible. My brother was named Cecil Smith Brimhall, and the kids in school would call him "sissy", so he went by the name, Smith. I guess he was named after his Grandfather Smith. My grandmother Smith's name was Isabelle. They would name all their kids Isabelle in those days. I never liked the name because one of my teachers called me Belly. They always made fun of something. (She did not put an 'e' on the end of her name.) My father was named Ether Record because people were very religious and would take their names out of the Bible or Book of Mormon. My dad had the most beautiful brown eyes. They were so sparkly, especially when he laughed. I believe that his sisters had sparkly eyes, too. My dad had an Aunt Real. She had some kind of syrup that we kids loved. She was a wonderful aunt. I remember my grandmothers, but not my grandfathers; they all died before I knew them. My grandmother, Rachel Ann Meyer Brimhall, was a beautiful old woman. She lived with Aunt Grace Calderwood in Spanish Fork. She was blind and would sit in a rocking chair. We would go in her house, and she would say, "Don't make any noise." We would go up to her, and she would feel us all over and tell us who we were. She would guess right. She could tell by feel who we were. We would all laugh and have a good time over at Grandma's. Aunt Grace would always have fresh bread. We all loved her bread. We ate her "out of house and home". We went over to her place a lot. To earn a little money, we would go pick apples. They were big red, beautiful apples. We liked to climb up in the trees and eat the best ones. One day some people saw a big rattle snake in the orchard, then we were all scared to pick the apples. We picked plums on a plum farm and we loved to eat them. I picked a lot of fruit like raspberries and strawberries. I thinned beets, too. I worked in Hedquest Photo Shop, and we would make pictures. They had a darkroom where they washed the films. We would print and dry the pictures and mail them out to the customers. It was a real nice little shop. Mr. Poulsen was our boss and was very nice. I also worked in a cannery in the summers. I would peel tomatoes, cut my hands, and tape them up. I used to go with Pearl Taylor. We went up the canyon in an old truck, and we would have to push the old truck through a lot of gullies, streams, and over high hills. We drove up to Aspen Grove, and we would hike to the top of Timpanogos. We started hiking up a narrow trail that went this way and that way. We had to climb the glacier to get to the top. When we got there, there was a box to put our names in. The scenery from the top was so beautiful, the most beautiful I had ever seen. There were lots of wild flowers. The first year everybody picked the flowers to take home. The next year they told us not to pick the flowers. They had signs with your hands that if you got into trouble you would put your hands up in the air, or another sign if you were OK. There was a lot of wild plant growth, a foot or two high that we would have to go through. We liked to climb Timpanogos; I climbed it five times. We would climb to the top, and then coming down, we would slide down the glacier. My dad took a crowd up to Timpanogos one time when he had a lame foot. We got on the top, and Dad waited at the bottom of the glacier. Coming down, this girl and I started to go around a bend. The girl started to fall and I grabbed her, but I couldn't get her down. My dad said to hurry because it would soon be dark. I couldn't get her down so Dad climbed up the glacier with his sore foot. He had a rope, and he gave me one end and he had the other end. He helped that girl get around so that she wouldn't fall over the side. I lived right down where you could see Mother Luna's face on the mountain. A lot of people couldn't see her. I showed my daughter, Leona. She said that her husband couldn't see it. It is the most beautiful place, and every time I am riding toward the mountain, I always look at the face. It is beautiful and I hope it stays there forever. If we ever wanted a date, my girlfriend and I would go over to the church and sit on the steps. Pretty soon one of our boyfriends would come. Then we always had a guy to go on a date with. I liked to dance. I would never make a date with a boyfriend on Saturday night because we could always dance at the Utahna Dance Hall (where the Post Office is now). They had a beautiful light in the middle of the room. It would turn with lots of little lights on it. It was pretty. One day I was over to one of my girlfriends. It was winter, and they had some kind of bob sled. They asked me to go for a ride. That is where I met Ray Aston, but I didn't see him again for three years. I met him again on another sleigh ride. He was driving the horses, and we had quilts over us. I tickled the girls' knees, and they thought it was the boys doing it. I don't know how I married him, he just kept coming around, I guess. Ray had great, big beautiful blue eyes and dimples. He had a lot of beautiful hair. Once Ray and I went for a ride in his dad's beautiful truck. (He lived on a farm). We decided to get married and were married in the Salt Lake Temple on September 16, 1925. My mother was there. They went hunting for my grandmother Smith; they said that she worked in the temple. When she came, she had a dust rag in her hand. Yes, she worked in the temple alright, she did the dusting. I can remember that day quite well. I guess we thought that we were in love, yes, we did. We got married, had a reception in the Bonneville Ward House, and got a lot of nice presents. It's a good thing we did. I think receptions are quite nice. We lived over in Ray's mothers house for about a year. Ray got a job in Provo as an auto mechanic, and we moved to a house in Provo. We were buying the house, but the real estate company didn't record the payments, and they foreclosed on us. We couldn't find any place to rent, so we lived in a couple of rooms at my dad's house. Lloyd was born there at my dad's home. We then rented an apartment, and every night when the girls who lived upstairs came home they would dance-thump-thump-thump. Ray wanted to move, so we moved into a house at 142 South 200 East. It was an old adobe house, but it was cool and nice. It had a lot of room in it. My second son, Keith, was born there. He was so fat and he had little wrinkles on his face and I said to Dad, "Oh, he is an ugly baby." My dad said, "Don't you tell me he's ugly; he's a beautiful baby.” In a day or two his skin went alright. He was a pretty, blue-eyed, fat baby. My dad's name was Ether Record Brimhall, so I named him after my dad, and named him Ether Keith. He liked the name Keith better, so he went by it all the time. My Aunt Jesse took us to Salt Lake to see the big buildings. There was one great big building up there, and it had Keith O'Brien on it. I always thought that the name of Keith was so beautiful that I named him Keith. One Sunday Ray had gone fishing with some friends; one of them was Tubby Lewis. My girlfriend, Alice Lewis, had never named her boy. He was nine years old, and she wanted to take him to church and name him. So I took my baby to church also. He was three months old. He didn't want to lay back, he was almost big enough to sit up. So I chose his name myself, something I liked. When Keith wanted to go to school, his birthday came at the wrong time. So we took him to the BYU Training School, and they took him into kindergarten. That is how he got so smart. He liked to say a lot of poems. He would memorize long ones and say them in front of anyone. Keith took tap dancing lessons, he liked to dance. Then they had some kind of toe dancing lessons and he said that girls danced that way, and he didn't want to dance anymore. Lloyd would always get the mumps, measles, or something every time they had dance lessons. So he didn't get any lessons. We moved to 615 East 400 North in Provo, and my daughter, Leona was born. She cried a lot. A little boy came over to see the baby. He had whooping cough and gave poor little Leona the whooping cough right after she was born. That went pretty hard on her. She coughed so bad, and Dr. Wallick came up five or six times a day. I believe he saved her life. We thought that she was going to die, so the Bishop and some Elders came and gave her a blessing. They said that she would live, and she did. She was a cute baby. I wanted to name her Margie, but there was a little girl next door named Leona. She was a beautiful little girl. Ray liked her name so we named her Leona. I still like Margie though, but Leona is alright. We lived in a house east of the Maeser School, and the house was sold. We had to move really fast. We put up a large tent on my dad's place. We lived in that for a month or two one summer. We lived in a lot of places in Provo. One house was below the BYU hill, another was on the northeast corner of 100 North and 300 west, and another was somewhere near 500 East and 500 South. Then we bought our house at 158 South 500 West. The kids went to school. Keith was in third grade at Franklin School. He just had his appendix out. I came home and he was out jumping over a fence. Leona had her appendix out about the same time and she was doing back bends. Lloyd had his out, but I never heard anything funny about him. They all had their appendixes out close to the same time, one right after another. My husband was an auto mechanic. He just loved cars. People would say that nobody could fix a car like Ray Aston. Lloyd was a mechanic, too. They were the best mechanics going. Ray bought a little shop at 42 South 1000 West. I took care of his accounting books for about sixteen years. I didn't get any pay for it either. I got my dinner though; I guess that paid for it. When I first met Ray, he was working up in the Bingham Copper Mines. When we got married, he came down and started farming. We lived during the Depression, and things didn't cost so much. We didn't have any money. We could get a steak for 30 cents a pound, but we never had 30 cents, so we would go without. The government would give us commodities. They would give us a great big piece of good meat, sugar and flour. They would give us a lot of things. One time they gave us six brand new sheets. They sure were nice. We have had several TV sets and a music player while we have lived here. Ray passed away on February 16, 1962, and was buried in the Provo City Cemetery. After Ray's death I started going to Senior Citizens in Provo. They would have a dance every week, and I would always go. They had many tours. I went to the World's Fair, I went to New York, to the temple in St. George, and many other trips with them. Mrs. Rodeback died when we were in St. George; she was sleeping with me. That was a shock. She was my best friend and still is. I'm happy to have known her. I got a job with the Foster Grandparents, and I have worked with them for 21 years, longer than anyone else at this time. I first heard about it at Senior Citizens at the Eldred Center. They wanted some people to work as Foster Grandparents, so I took the number down and called them. I got the job and have been there ever since. First I worked at the Daycare Center, then at the BYU Training Center. I worked at other places. Now, I work at Franklin School and am ending there. They must have liked me, because they have kept me for a long time. It is wonderful to be a Foster Grandparent. At Franklin I have been lucky to have worked in the library all the time. I am now 83 years old. The first librarian, since I started working there, was Fred Gummow. He was really a nice person. If I ever had another son, I would want one just like him. When Fred left, my son, Keith, moved from a teacher of second grade at Franklin to librarian and took his place. So we were in the same place for many years. I worked in a little room in the library. I was there before Keith was. Keith said, "But my mother works in the library". They said, "Yes, we know, it will be alright." He hesitated to take the job when I worked there, but he did and we got along fine. When I worked with the children, I would listen to them read most of the time, and I would help them with writing cursive. They all liked the Grandmas. Two of us worked there: Grandma Laws and Grandma Aston. When the children got through reading, they would color pictures and play games. They liked my room because they liked to play games. They always had to do some reading first. Foster Grandparents are great. I am surely happy that I got a job there. My son, Keith retired a year ago in June 1987. He was 57 years old. He retired before me, I am still working at 83. At ten years in the program I got an award; at 20 years I got a beautiful award. It's a big one. Now I am there my twenty-first year. The children and I still miss Keith down at school. Sometimes we wish he was back, but we like the new librarian, Linda Beck. She is really nice. She is always smiling. Keith smiled a lot, too. POSTSCRIPT: (Written by Lela Aston, daughter-in-law, January 23, 1994.) Mom's health had started to fail at the time we did this interview and her legs were giving her a lot of trouble. She had to give up the Foster Grandparent job and it really hurt her feelings. She continued to live in her home, and Leona would take her wherever she needed to go and grocery shop for her. Leona made sure she was alright and spent a lot of time with her. Keith would take care of any odd jobs she needed done, and he stopped by to visit often. Lloyd kept her car going as long as she could drive. All three of her children are good, caring people that she and Ray can be proud of. She was having some trouble with her heart. Leona walked in the house the morning of November 15, 1989 and found her sitting up on the couch dead. She had been dead a very short time. Her funeral was held on November 18, 1989, at Berg Mortuary and she was buried in the Provo City Cemetery.


Contributor: trishkovach Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

(This was recorded by Ether Keith Aston and the first draft was transcribed by Susan Crosby on February 1, 1993. Edited by Keith Aston and Lela Aston, 1994.) I, Ether Keith Aston, was born on January 8, 1930, in a house located at 142 No. 200 E. in Provo, Utah County, Utah, at 12:55 a.m. I am the son of Ray Aston, who was 27 when I was born, and Isabell Smith Brimhall, who was 24. I have an older brother, Lloyd Ray Aston, who was born the July 1, 1927, and I have a younger sister, Leona Isabell Aston. She was born the December 17, 1933. I was blessed on May 4, 1930 by J. William Knight. MY FIRST RECOLLECTIONS Our family has lived in Provo all of my life. I was born in the years of the depression of the 1930's. We seemed to be very poor, and because of the insecurity of the work of my father, we moved about six times until we finally arrived at our last address of 158 S. 500 W. in Provo. The first house that I remember living in was an adobe house on the corner of 3rd West and 1st North in Provo. I was about three years old while there. I liked to play in a small irrigation ditch that ran past the front of the house. I fell in it once too often, and my mother came out and lifted me up by my ankles and dunked me head first into the water a couple of times. I came up screaming. I did not fall into it again. Another time, I built a small bonfire in the corner of the garage near an adobe wall. No harm was done, luckily, but I was severely reprimanded for doing it. One day I was riding on the back of a tricycle driven by my brother, Lloyd. A neighbor boy threw a rock at us as we passed. It hit me on the back of the head. I remember how much it hurt, but I held on to Lloyd. He peddled home as fast as he could. I received a slight concussion from it. My mother said, "When Keith wanted to go to school his birthday came at the wrong time, so we took him to the BYU training school for kindergarten on the old BYU Campus. That's how he got so smart. He liked to say a lot of poems. He would memorize long ones and say them in front of everyone. Keith took dancing lessons. He liked to dance. Then they had some kind of toe dancing, and he said that the girls danced that way; and he didn't want to dance any more." The depression of the 1930's was hitting many people very hard--and no exceptions for us. We went to the welfare station next to Utah Timber and Coal, several times, and brought home some powdered milk, beans, and sugar. It seems like we ate a lot of beans--sometimes three times a day. The next place I remember was a house located below the BYU Upper Campus on the south side. There was a stream that ran around the hill about half-way up. I loved to hike the trails that went around the hill and along the stream. I attended first grade at the Maeser Elementary School. I walked about 10 blocks to school and during the winter the snow seemed especially deep. We then moved to a house about a block from the Maeser School, and I attended second grade there. I remember that I put some gasoline on a large rag and took it to the back of the yard which was full of dried weeds. I lit the rag with a match and it burst into flames. It burned so profusely that it started some weeds on fire. I was really scared. I stomped out the burning weeds, threw dirt on the rag, and stomped on it until I thought it was out. I picked up the rag to take it to the garbage can. I ran with the rag, swinging it by my side. It burst into flames again, and the flames flared up my arm. I dropped the burning rag into the weeds again and had a second fire to put out. I was so frightened by the experience that I have been very cautious about fire ever since. We then left this house, and moved in with my grandfather, Ether Record Brimhall, for a summer. We stored our household furnishings in a huge army tent in back of the house. Mom and Dad and my sister, Leona, slept in the house. Lloyd and I slept in the woodshed. I would often be awakened by beetles crawling over my face. I helped Grandfather pick string beans out of his garden. We moved to another house close to my grandfather's house, near 5th S. and 5th E. There was a good sleigh riding hill nearby. In the summer a neighbor boy and I liked to hike in a swampy meadow just below the hill. There was a nice stream going through this meadow and horses were pastured there. In the middle of this meadow was an old dead tree with a hollow place where a limb had rotted out and a beehive was in there. We got the idea to shoot some matches, with some match shooters we had made, into the beehive. Everything was going just fine. We shot six or seven matches into the hive. They'd light and go down into the hive and cause a puff of smoke. We could hear the bees buzzing louder and louder. Soon they started coming out of the opening and were flying around our heads. We both took off in a dead run, back toward our homes. I was so scared of those bees that I didn't look back. I was ahead of my friend, and we ran just as fast as we could. Finally the bees stopped chasing us. We kept running until we were home. My friend had been stung all over his face and his arms, at least 20 times. I didn't get stung even once. That just goes to show you that if you want to win a race, run as if a swarm of bees were after you, and you will be sure to win it. When I was in third grade, Dad bought the house at 158 South 500 West; Provo, Utah. I attended the Franklin Elementary School, Dixon Junior High School, and the old Provo High School, where the fire department is now located. They were within easy walking distance from our home (2 to 3 blocks away). I built a pigeon pen in the back yard. I got my first pigeons when I was in the fourth grade--some that my friends gave to me. After raising them for a year or two, I became interested in white pigeons called white homers, and I mailed off to get two breeding pairs. I gradually got rid of all of the colored pigeons and ended up with about 30 white homer pigeons. They were beautiful birds, fairly large in size and so tame that they would fly up and land on my arm, shoulder, or head when I had bread to feed them. Pigeons were really important to me. I remember that I had a big roaster pan that I would use for a bird bath. I would fill it with water and they would get into the water as crowded as could be, and have a community bath. I enjoyed them for a number of years until I was about 14. I have worked most of my life. I have been told that I would rather work than play. I started when I was about nine years old selling night crawlers at our home at 158 S. 500 West for a nickel a dozen. The next year I sold them for 10 cents a dozen and made about $150. I did this for several years in a row. When I was 14 years old, I got my first real job when I went to work for Mr. Ray Tanner on his large turkey farm in Indianola, Sanpete County, Utah. I worked eight summers for him. My brother, Lloyd, was already working there. He helped me get the job. When I was attending the Dixon Jr. High School I had a lifetime experience with one of my teachers. If I were ever to have a favorite teacher in my life, Mr. McConkie in 7th grade, who taught American History, would be that choice. Up to this time in my school activities, I didn't really do very well. My grades were average or below average. One day Mr. McConkie stopped me at the door as I was leaving and told me that he wanted to see me after school that night. Boy, I was worried; I didn't know what he wanted. When I went to his room after school he was sitting at his desk correcting a pile of papers. He took out my accumulative folder with all my grades in it and asked me to look it over. When I had looked for a minute or two he said, "What do you think?" I had seen some D's and lots of C's and very few A's and B's. I told him I didn't think it looked very good. He said, "I don't think it looks very good either. I have been watching you in class, and I know that you can do better. Before you go home tonight, I want you to promise me that you will do a better job in your school work. What do you say?" I told him in my shy fashion, because I was very shy at that age, that I didn't know. He said, "Well that's all right, you don't have to make up your mind right now. Go over and sit in that desk and think it over, and when you have made up your mind come back up to see me. I have lots of papers here I can correct." Well, I went over to the desk and sat down and kept watching him correct one paper after another and kept thinking of what he really asked me. He wanted me to do better in school, and I didn't really have my mind made up that I wanted to do that. After about 20 minutes, he raised up and asked me, "Well what do you think?" I said, "I don't know," and he said, "Well think it over some more," and went back to checking his papers. After about 45 minutes I knew that he was serious and that I would have to make that promise to him. So I went up to his desk and said, "Mr. McConkie, I'll try." In a happy voice he said, "That's great. I know that you will do a better job, and I will be watching you," which he really did. I went home that night very upset because somebody had caught me in my slothfulness. I was not ready to make a change in my life. I went to bed that night and couldn't sleep. I thought over what he had said, that he had wanted me to do better. While I laid awake I pounded on my pillow and cried. After most of the night had passed, I finally decided in my own heart that if it was going to bother me that much, that I made him a promise, then I would keep it. So the next morning I got up, got a notebook, pencil, and other supplies that I needed. I read over his assignment for his class and went back to school that day. And from that time forth I improved in all my school work. This was after about half of the year had passed. After we got our grades in the spring, I had an A in his class, three other A's, and two B's. The year after that in 9th grade I got straight A's. Through high school I received straight A's except for one B+. I really appreciate Mr. McConkie for what he had done for me, as he changed my whole life and literally made me live up to my potential. He also told me that I could be anything I wanted to be; it was up to me to make the effort. Thank you, Mr. McConkie. Mr. McConkie also had in his class a model airplane building contest that year. We used to make model airplanes back in those days out of balsa wood kits. I made a seven foot wing span balsa wood glider. It was a big one, and it was a beauty. We would bring in our planes as we would finish them. We all paid an entrance fee. There were several classes involved in this contest. Mr. McConkie would hang the planes from strings attached to the ceiling. When everybody got their planes made, they were judged; and mine was chosen as first place. I received a $25 war bond and $2.50 in savings stamps, which I was very happy to receive. Thanks again, Mr. McConkie. While I was growing up I was kind of a loner. But the friends that I would like to mention who meant the most to me in my life were: first, Tommy Oldroyd. Tom and I borrowed my father's car and went to Yellowstone to spend a week, and ended up in Jasper National Park in Canada and spent two weeks. We went back home by way of Spokane, Washington and through the Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. We had a wonderful time. My father was very unhappy that we stayed so long since he was walking to work each day, because we had his car. I really appreciated my father for trusting us. My other close friends were Milton Larsen, Paul Searle, Jack Southerland, and George Mitchell. We would go out on double dates to dances, etc. throughout our school years. I graduated from Provo High School in May 1948. I received a $25 scholarship to the Utah State Agricultural College, (USAC), and decided that I would attend there as I was raising turkeys for Ray Tanner and was interested in following through on poultry husbandry. I attended there for three years, having all kinds of great experiences. The first two years I lived on the second floor in a boarding house with five other boys. We had room and breakfast there. Mrs. Clark was the owner. Duaine Clark was my roommate the third year. We lived in his trailer. Since it was during the Korean War in 1949, 50, and 51, I joined the Air Force R.O.T.C. and received all the military experience that I have ever had. While in the R.O.T.C. I was deferred from being drafted as long as I was taking R.O.T.C. I met and started courting Lela Scott and we were married on June 27, 1951. We ended up without enough funds to start college the following year. When I didn't register for college and the R.O.T.C., my classification was changed to "1-A." This put me on the list for being drafted. But because we were expecting a baby in the next few months I was deferred. I did a lot of marching while in the R.O.T.C. I attended their classes and learned somewhat of the military stratagem that would be presented to the regular service. I was happy for the experience, but glad that I didn't actually need to go into battle. When I went to the Utah State Agriculture College, my one big thought turned to finding a companion. There were five men to every girl at that time in that school, and most of them were already committed. My mother asked me one time, "Why are you going to college?" I answered her, "Mother, I am going to college to find myself a wife." But as good mothers will, she answered me back and said, "Don't look for a wife. Find yourself a single girl." I will never forget that statement. I was a very dutiful son and did that very thing. While I was in the LDS Institute at the Utah State University, in February of 1951, my roommate, Duane Clark, and I were doing some studying. We were lying on the floor by the fireplace. Two girls walked in and across the foyer in front of us. I looked up and saw this girl who looked like an angel to me. She was well dressed and had long blond hair down to her shoulders. I leaned over to my roommate and nudged him with my elbow and said, "Look, Duane, there goes the girl that I'm going to marry." I don't know whether he believed me or not, but he just laughed. This was the first time that I ever remember seeing her. Lela reminds me that she and her roommate were walking up to campus in the fall and I had given them a ride. She says she had seen me around the campus, and that I had even said "hello"; but this was the first time that I had really taken notice. I began to see her all over the campus, especially at the MIA functions on Tuesday nights. They would hold a dance after Mutual, and I would dance with her and then ask her if I could take her home, which we did a number of times. I was falling more in love with her all the time. One time when I went to Mutual, I found her and asked if I could take her home that night. She surprised me by saying, "No, I have a date." Well that really upset me. I was jealous. I went home that night determined that I would ask her out and be her date from that night on. We both belonged to the LDS organization, Lambda Delta Sigma. We had a party with her chapter, Omega, and my chapter, Alpha. The girls were to bring a box lunch. The girls were to take one shoe off and throw it into a pile on the floor. On a signal the boys would rush in, grab a shoe and then find the girl who owned the shoe, then have lunch with that girl. I watched Lela as she threw her shoe in. I saw where it landed in this big pile. Then somebody went in and mixed the shoes all up. Luckily, just before the mad rush, I was able to spot her shoe again. When they said, "Go," I was into the middle of that pile, grabbed her shoe with both hands and held on tight. It felt like a pile up on a football field with all those big guys when they hit the middle of the pile. I was propelled up and out over their backs, but I held on to the shoe. I then walked right to Lela, because I knew who's shoe I had. That was really a great beginning to an eternal relationship. We dated a lot thereafter, and one night we drove to the Logan temple and parked on the west side just below the hill where we could get a beautiful night time view. There I proposed to her. She replied with a yes. I married Lela May Scott, daughter of Arthur Hamilton Scott and Mary Selman, on June 27, 1951, in the Salt Lake Temple by Robert Young for time and all eternity. We moved to Ray Tanner's turkey ranch at Indianola, Utah and we lived in a house that was part of a huge turkey brooder coop. I was foreman on the ranch, taking care of about 20,000 turkeys. It snowed heavily that November and we got snowed in for several days, and we needed to go to the store in Fairview to get some groceries. The snow was about 18 inches deep from the house out to the main highway which was about 200 feet. So I shoveled just enough snow off the driveway to drive the car out to the road. We went to Fairview, bought our groceries, and when we got back, the wind had blown our tracks clear full of snow--level again--so we couldn't even see where I had dug. I parked the car along the side of the highway, waded in, and got the tractor. I made tracks out to the highway. I put a chain onto the car and tractor and pulled the car through the snow, so that we could get home again. We had a thermometer hanging on the outside of the house, and it registered 10 degrees below zero for a period of about three weeks. It could have been colder than that because that is where the bulb ended, and all of the mercury was in the bottom of it. Another time Lela had washed the clothes, took them out, and hung them on a clothes line which was about 100 feet from the house. When I got home that night, she asked me if I would go out and bring them in. There were several sheets on the line, and when I went to take them down, they were frozen stiff. I undid the clothes pins and carried them one at a time, just like a 4' x 8' piece of plywood, to the house. I walked in through the door, and as soon as a sheet hit the warm air, it just melted and fell into a clump. This happened with the rest of the clothes that day. It was an interesting experience. We lived there until the 10th of December when we had a disagreement with Mr. Tanner. We had planned to go back to school but without the money we had planned on, we could not go. We left there and went to Nephi to stay with Lela's parents until I secured work at Ogden Arsenal in January 1952, I worked there until June 1952. Our daughter, Susan, was born May 3, 1952, while we lived in Ogden. In June we moved back to Nephi, and I worked on Lela's father's dairy farm the rest of the summer. About September 1952, I secured work at Thermoid Rubber Company in Nephi where I worked as a small press operator, a large press operator, a fan belt flipper, and then as a foreman until March 1959. I decided to go back to school and finish my college degree. I graduated in June 1960 from the Utah State University in Elementary Education. My first teaching experience was at the Bunderson Elementary School at Brigham City, Utah, in the 5th grade for 3 months. My classroom was a temporary building out from the school, and we often had fire drills. I did not have a bell and could not hear the fire bell ring from the school. One time after having a fire drill which we were unaware of, the principal stuck his head into the door and told us that we had all burned up, that the school had all burned down It was only a fire drill, but it was an interesting experience to know that it could happen. It wasn't long before we had a bell out in our classroom. I signed a contract with the Provo School District in March 1960, and we moved to Provo in June. We moved into a basement apartment next door to my parents. We had sold our Nephi home and received about $2,700 equity. We bought a building lot on Grandview Hill at 1270 No. 1750 W. for $1800. John Roylance, my brother-in-law who was a shop teacher, said that he would build it for us, as a summer job. We happily watched our house as it grew from the foundation until it was completed. It took a lot of work, but it is a fine house with a yard. It has a garden area which I have gardened every year. We have had peach trees, cherry trees, and even a walnut tree. This has been our family home for 34 years and it contains a lot of great memories. I taught at the Grandview Elementary in 6th grade until June of 1965 and then taught 5th grade until 1968. I then transferred to the Wasatch Elementary School and taught 5th grade until 1973. In 1973-74 school year I taught 3rd/4th grade. I then transferred to the Franklin Elementary School and taught 2nd grade for two years from September 1974 to June, 1976. In 1976, after 16 years of teaching I was given the opportunity to go into the Franklin School Media Center. The principal, Mr. Daryl Hadley, had decided to move the teachers around in their assignments. Mr. Fred Gummow, the librarian, had said that he might like to go back into the classroom. I was appointed to be the Media Coordinator to my happy surprise. I started working on my media endorsement by taking prescribed courses at the BYU during the summer of 1976. I was given one year in which to go to school and take classes to get certified. Within that time I found myself being very busy trying to keep up with it all. An Aid and I took a book inventory. It took us two weeks to do it. We had new books to process and groups to teach. The year moved fast, and it proved to be enjoyable. While I was working on my media endorsement to become a media coordinator at the Franklin School library I had an experience with one of the BYU professors, Dr. John Curr. He was my instructor for a graphic arts class where we made visual aids. Every time I had a problem with a project I would ask him what I could do to overcome it. He would always answer with a series of questions. I had a difficult time working out all of the assignments, but finally completed them. I was feeling pressure from trying to teach and go to school, too. Well, on the day of my oral evaluation, I had all my projects completed and mounted in a portfolio. They included a take home test, which I had researched and had very complete, a lettering assignment, and other projects. I handed them to him each in turn. He liked my lettering. He asked questions from the test, and I answered him so directly that he accused me of talking to a student who had already taken his oral test. He said that he told the other student a lie about this answer. I stuck to my answer and quoted a reference which proved him wrong, and I was right. He was amazed. I presented my portfolio and again he expressed approval of the cover and the projects. He said that he usually asked the students what they felt they had earned in the class as a grade, but he said that he wouldn't ask me. He said he wanted me to know that my grade point was one grade higher than when I entered the door. He had pregraded me. My final grade was to be an A-. I really felt good about this, as this was the hardest class that I remember taking. He taught me that there is a way to find answers without just being told, that one should do his best on every project even if it takes many tries, and to keep plugging away even though it seems impossible. It was a good experience for me. I learned about myself. When things seem to get really difficult, I always try to remember this statement, "And this too shall pass." It did and I am grateful for the experience, but I am surely glad it is over. I finished classes at BYU and the University of Utah and I had Lela take all my grades to the Utah State Board of Education, and on August 23, 1977, I received my Instructional Media Endorsement. I was really happy, excited, and relieved to know that I had finally completed that which I had set forth to do in a year’s time. I really enjoyed being Library Media Coordinator at Franklin School. The children would all greet me as they would pass me in the hall and when they came to the Media Center. As Media Coordinator, I made several changes in the way the library was operated. I organized a program with all the 5th and 6th grade classes where I would let every student in both of those classes have one or more days in the media center each year working with me full time as a library helper. The system I set up was so organized that in just a few minutes I could teach a new student from the 5th or 6th grade all that he needed to know to run the library for that day. Another thing that I did was to make it possible for every student to check out his or her own books, which freed my library helpers and myself from a lot of busywork. When we came to make an inventory, we had very little straightening to do. Instead of it taking two weeks to do an inventory, we could do it in two days. My student helpers were very appreciative for the time they got to spend in the library. Everybody got a chance to work in the library as they went through school. It provided a way for them to increase their love for the school and the library, as they were a part of it. When I became Media Coordinator in 1976, my mother, Isabell Aston, was working in one of the library conference rooms as a Foster Grandparent. When she worked with the children, she would listen to them read, would help them with their writing and arithmetic. The children all loved Grandmother Aston. I worked with her in the media center until I retired in June of 1987. That was about 11 years. I retired before she did. What a glorious experience that was to be able to know that my mother was well and was doing great with the children. She just loved being a foster grandparent. I would see her every day that she was there, so it was easy to keep track of her and know whether she was well or not. We had some great experiences together. She worked as a foster grandparent for over 21 years and felt bad when she had to retire. She died the November 15, 1989. On November 2, 1976, the people of America went to the voting poles and elected Jimmy Carter as president of the United States. Utah was mostly for Gerald Ford who was running against him. Ford seemed more conservative in his politics, while Carter was promising many things to many people that would really cost a lot. Inflation was still increasing. November's gas bill doubled the average of the year before. Inflation increased faster than my increase in pay. I started working for the school district in the summers for about $1.25 an hour--first as a painter, some plumbing, as a weed controller, mowing and spraying weeds, as a parking line painter, and for the longest time I mowed lawns on a Toro mower, with Lee Nelson. When Lee Nelson retired from mowing the lawns, I started mowing all of the lawns of the school district and did this until Provo City took over the mowing. I started in June 1975 as an electrician's helper with Max Mitchell as my partner and Ivin Caneen as our foreman. Max and I enjoyed working together. He was a science teacher at Dixon Jr. High. We worked together until we retired in 1987, but I continued working part-time for three more years. We installed many light fixtures, wall plugs, switches, and all varieties of electrical work. The summer wages had increased slowly to about $3.50 an hour. One year Mr. Crabb, our maintenance boss, got the wages for the electricians and the plumbers raised to $5.50 an hour. This was the largest increase in many years. By the time I quit I was making $9.50 an hour. While our family was growing up in our Grandview home, Lee asked us if he might have a motorcycle. He was about 16 at the time. His friends were all getting one and we could see that he needed one to go with them. We decided to buy a motorcycle from my neighbor Richard Kirk so we could ride together. Through the years we bought four motorcycles so that we could go riding on the highway and in off-road areas together. We have especially enjoyed places like Mercur around Fairfield. Lela and I would take one or two motorcycles on our trips, and we would ride the canyon roads and go exploring with them. We had a lot of fun and a lot of good experiences. We quit riding in 1990 and gradually sold them. In 1987, when I was 57 and had 27 1/4 years of teaching, the state gave all state employees, including teachers, the opportunity to retire early under an incentive program called a "retirement window." Those who took it would make a higher retirement income for the rest of their life rather than going by the old program and retiring at 62 or 65 with 30 years service. The state gave us 90 days in which to make up our mind. I wanted to retire but Lela didn't want me to do it this early because we still owed for our motorhome and truck. The week before the deadline Roberta Anderson, a media coordinator in another school, wrote a retirement letter; saying she was going to "Jump out the window". She duplicated it, and sent it to all the librarians explaining her views on retirement. At the bottom of the letter she said to me, "I thought you were going to retire with me. It's not too late yet." I took the letter home, showed it to Lela. She said, "If that's what you want to do, go for it." So the next day I talked to Mrs. Elaine Bergener, my principal, and told her that I needed time off to go to Salt Lake. She was very disappointed in knowing that I wouldn't be there to help her, as I had been a great help to her in video taping all of the fabulous operettas that she directed every year. We filled out the papers and took them to Salt Lake City and handed them in just a couple of days before the deadline. Now I am retired and receiving retirement income. I started to receive Social Security benefits when I turned 62. I am happy that I made this change in my life. We have had some wonderful experiences since retiring. Arthur H. Scott, Lela's father, died March 29, 1984, after a long battle with cancer which started in his prostate gland. He was operated on in 1966, and it was arrested for a while, but it finally went through his whole body. We brought him and his wife, Mary to live with us, when he became too sick to care for himself and Mary. She was now completely blind, which had been brought on gradually by glaucoma. It was a demanding experience to care for them and to watch him slowly fade away with pain forever present. After he died and was buried in the Nephi Cemetery, we took charge of Mother Scott's care until she died on the May 20, 1990, in the East Lake Care Center. We used to go camping a lot with a tent, but after a few experiences we decided we didn't like tenting. In 1972 we bought a GMC 3/4 ton pickup. We called the insurance company to get insurance on it. We told the insurance agent that we wanted to buy a sleeper for the truck to cover the back. He asked if we had one yet, and we told him, "No." He said, "Well, I've got one for sale. Come and see it." We went over, saw it, and bought it for $300. The truck cost $2600. We also bought a used Jet 14 foot trailer on the same day. It ended up that we bought them all for around $4000, which made a good camping outfit for less than the price of a new truck. This was the beginning of our real camping experiences. After several years of pulling the trailer and having lots of fun on camping trips with our family, we sold the trailer and bought us a Dodge Van which was built into a mini-motorhome. We enjoyed this for about four years, but because it was so small, we traded the van in on a 1982 Ford Jamboree, a 23 foot mini-motorhome, which we still have and enjoy very much. We became acquainted with the Good Sam's R.V. Club in Utah and were invited to tag along on a camping trip or two. Gary and LaFae Pyne and several other friends who had R.V.'s decided that we would start our own chapter. We called it the Squaw Peak Sams. It was only a short time until we had 20 rigs. What fine people we have had to associate with. We have gone on camping trips in the summer, one per month, and in the winter when it is too cold to camp, we go to someone's home or to a cafe for our dinner meetings. We have had many great experiences visiting many different camp grounds and places. We went to Albuquerque, New Mexico on a Good Sam International Samboree. We have attended many State Samboree's in Logan, and Ogden. If we wanted to have an extra camping trip in the summer, we would ask some of our Good Sam friends; and we could usually find one or more willing to travel along with us. Lela was the first president of the Squaw Peak Sams, and she has done an excellent job in being president and keeping the chapter going. RELIGION – SPIRITUALITY I don't remember much about our early religious happenings in our family. As a child my mother and father seemed to be inactive, and I don't remember being taken to church. My baptism into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was a special experience in my life. I had not been attending church and did not know about baptism. One day I was talking to one of my class friends who said that he was going to be baptized. I asked him what baptism was and how you did it. I really felt the spirit in my heart, and I just had to be baptized. He told me that you went down to the baptismal font which was in a building just across from the old Provo Post Office. I was inspired enough that after I had found out when the baptism date was going to be, I went the day of baptism into where the font was. I remember sitting on the side of the font watching quite a number of children being baptized. As they finished the last ones and everybody was leaving, I just hung around wondering when they were going to baptize me. Finally a man came up to me and asked if he could help me. I said that I wanted to be baptized. He said to me, "Do you have a recommend?" I told him no, that I didn't know what a recommend was. He told me that I had to go back to the bishop in the ward, have an interview with him, get a recommend from him for baptism, then to bring it back here, and then I could get baptized. I was so disappointed that I went home crying. I was still inspired enough that somehow, I got to the bishop and had an interview with him. He gave me a recommend for baptism, and told me when the next baptism would be. I again went down to the baptismal font alone, still not really knowing what I was doing. Again I watched everyone get baptized and when everybody was through, because I didn't have anyone helping me, I was asked again what I was there for. I told them that I wanted to be baptized, and I had a recommend. They got me ready by dressing me up in a white shirt and white pants. This time I was baptized by Carl A. Snow, a priest, and confirmed by W. William Green. It was January 8, 1939, my ninth birthday. It amazes me that I was able, as a nine year old boy, to find out about it, and to do it on my own. I really wasn't alone, I had my Heavenly Father with me. I didn't attend Primary but when I was 12, the leaders prepared me and graduated me to be a deacon. As a youth, my church participation was sporadic. Thanks to many people, I was partially active and advanced in the priesthood at about the proper times. Scouting was where I feel that I really lost out, by not participating and advancing beyond a tenderfoot. I was ordained a deacon the May 10, 1942, by Leo Freshwater; a teacher, January 7, 1945, by W. Raymond Green; a priest, January 19, 1947, by Weldon Jolley; an elder, January 2, 1949, by Conrad Stone; and a High Priest, July 16, 1961, by Clyde M. Lunceford. When I was ready to attend the Utah State Agricultural College in Logan, the bishop called me in and asked me about a mission. This was during the Korean War and each ward could have only 2 missionaries on missions at any one time. I said that I didn't think that my father would approve of a mission at this time and that I was going to college in Logan. He told me that the ward policy was not to send young men from the ward until they were ordained elders, so we made arrangements for me to be ordained an elder before I went. At USAC my testimony greatly increased. In fact it was where I really was converted to the gospel, and it has continued to grow throughout my life. I met this Baptist fellow at the cafeteria in Logan. He asked me if he could share my table. The first thing that he asked me was, "What faith are you?" I told him that I belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I asked him the same thing, and he said that he was a Baptist. He started asking me a lot of questions about my church which I could not answer and we kept meeting each other at lunch time. As he ask questions about my church, I would ask him questions about his church. I ended up defending the gospel. I had to go home and study up on the questions he was asking to find out what I really believed. Through this study, and through the inspiration of Heavenly Father and the spirit, I felt that I was more converted to the gospel and gained a greater testimony at that time than ever before. We did this over a six week period, but one day he didn't show up, and I never saw him again. I found out from a friend that he had a ruptured appendix and had to return home to have an operation and did not come back to college. I can say that he is the one that converted me to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The winter of 1950-51 I served as assistant Sunday School Superintendent and president of Alpha Chapter of Lambda Delta Sigma at the LDS Institute at USAC. I have held many positions in the church. I started as a Ward Teacher after I was ordained a Teacher, and held this position and later, as Home Teacher practically all of my adult life. I have not missed many monthly visits in the last 25 years. In fact I'm a 98 percenter. I was a Sunday School teacher and a Teacher's Quorum advisor in Nephi. While there I also served as a counselor to Neldon Worthington in the Elder's Quorum. Later I was called as Elder's Quorum President. We had 102 Elders in the quorum, and I was the youngest. Only about 20 percent were active. It was a 20 percent ward. Twenty percent were active, 20 percent paid tithing, and 20 percent came to Sacrament Meeting. It was a very difficult assignment. We moved from Nephi to Logan in 1959, where I attended Utah State University and graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education, June 4, 1960. I also graduated from the LDS Institute of Religion. In 1960, we moved to Provo. We started building our new home on Grandview Hill, 1270 North 1750 West; where we attended the Provo 21st Ward. After about eight months I was called to be 2nd Counselor to Bishop LeRoy Laws. I replaced Ted VanBuren, who went to work in Wyoming. Eight months later my father died, February 16, 1962, and Bishop Laws came the next day and told us that the bishopric was going to be released. While in the 21st Ward I served also as the Teacher's Quorum Advisor, and Executive Secretary to Bishop Bryce Orton. I substituted as Ward Clerk for Marvin Gunther one summer. I was a Sunday School Teacher, and Lela and I were called to do the ward weekly and a monthly newspaper. The ward was divided and then we were in the 24th Ward. While there I served as Assistant High Priest Group Leader with Robert R. Burton. In November 1972, the 24th Ward was divided and was a member of the 27th Ward in the Provo North Stake, I was called as a ward librarian. I helped Lela set up the library in our new Stake Center. I have worked as Priesthood Librarian, Sunday School Librarian, MIA Librarian and then as Meeting House Librarian. While I was still Meeting House Librarian, I was called also to serve as Stake Director of Libraries. It seems ironic to me, that while I was serving as a librarian in the church in 1976, that Principal Daryl Hadley chose me to be the Library Media Coordinator for the Franklin School Media Center. I got a lot of library experience in a hurry. On Tuesday, September 6, 1977, Lela and I were called in for an interview with the Stake Presidency. Just before we went to the stake president’s office, Lela said that she knew that I would be called to serve as the 27th Ward Financial Clerk. Her inspiration and intuition proved correct. I was called to be the financial clerk of the 27th ward. I had just completed my media endorsement which had been taking most of my time in study. I had planned to catch up on uncompleted projects. I am sure the Lord knew this, and he called me to this new position. I know that this was a true calling from God. I accepted readily, knowing that this would be consuming most of the spare time that I had just gained. Bishop Frost said he could not think of any one that could do this work until my name was presented and I was the only one that he wanted. Well, I had a lot to live up to. The next Sunday in Sacrament Meeting President Rulon Francis presented my name to the congregation, and I was approved. Right after the meeting, Sunday, September 11, 1977, President Francis set me apart and gave me a blessing that I would be able to serve well in this position. Ralph H. Larsen, the former financial clerk, was a great help in teaching me the financial duties and processes. I found out that accuracy is of utmost importance. I have always prided myself in my accuracy and completeness and I really needed these traits even more. I could type, but I needed to develop the new skill of using the adding machine fast and accurate. One day I was having lunch with my brother, Lloyd, at a social and asked him what he was doing in the church. He said that he was the financial clerk in his ward. He had graduated in accounting at BYU. I asked him if I could see his system of keeping the financial records. He invited me over one evening when he was working on them, and he showed me. I was really impressed with his filing system. I mentioned it to Bishop Frost, and he was excited about it also. I developed this system with some improvements that fit me very well. The auditors liked the system. It was easy to audit. They had some of the other financial clerks make an appointment with me to learn about my system. I was the financial clerk of the Provo 27th ward until I was released on the October 21, 1979, at a three ward meeting. At this meeting the Provo 24th, 27th, and the 29th Wards were divided into four wards. We ended up in the new Provo 31st Ward. One week later I was called as the financial clerk of the new 31st Ward and was set apart by Larry D. Benson, the 2nd counselor. I had to train a new financial clerk for the 27th Ward as well as set up the books for the 31st Ward, since it was a brand new ward. It was really a challenge because of the amount of time involved and also the other demands on my time. In November 1982, I was released as the financial clerk of the Provo 31st Ward and called by President Francis and President Frost to be the Provo North Stake Clerk in charge of physical facilities which is another financial calling. I continued to work as Media Coordinator of Franklin School. I have enjoyed both quite well. The physical facilities clerk seemed to take an average of four to eight hours per week. I found that I could do most of it at home on Sunday. It is the type of calling that you can find a stopping place and be caught up until about a week later. I was released in the spring of 1987. This was almost ten years as church financial clerks. MISSION After my mother, Isabell Aston, died November 15, 1989; and Lela's mother, Mary Scott died May 20, 1990, we felt free to hand in our papers to go on a mission. From that time our lives began to change. We began to realize that we would be in the service of our Heavenly Father, giving 100 percent of our time. Prayer became a very important part of our lives. We learned about receiving and recognizing the spirit of truth, of peace, of comfort, and of knowledge in our daily activities. I have had many experiences of receiving the spirit. They have strengthened my testimony. Many times in the Missionary Training Center (MTC), studying the missionary discussions, this overwhelming burning in my bosom would come upon me in joy, elation, and in tears. I would experience this especially when I was bearing my testimony and while praying. It was inspiring to be with thousands of elder and sister missionaries and many couple missionaries in the MTC. In the lunchroom the single missionaries would always step back and insist that we older couple missionaries go first in line. At the weekly firesides thousands of missionaries would stand and sing "Called to Serve." What power and strength from this army of God. The spirit was so strong. I imagined it like unto the legions of angels as they sang praises to the Lord. We were called to the Texas Dallas Mission to serve in the office under President M. Dean Anderson and his wife Kathryn. I started as Vehicle Fleet Coordinator, responsible for 57 cars. I got to know many of the elder and sister missionaries over the telephone as I would try to help them solve their problems of vehicle maintenance and accident repair. They got to know me. I would attend zone conferences and show a car safety video. I would also inspect the mission cars and offer suggestions on care and maintenance. I was constantly praying for the missionaries, for their safety, for their health, and for the spirit to guide them to find new investigators that they might teach. Another couple, Elvernon and Ora Mae Ferguson came into the office to help us with our work, as Lela and I were swamped and couldn't catch up nor keep up with the work. I became the financial secretary and Elder Ferguson became the fleet coordinator. We learned to love all who served in the office. What a thrill it was to be hugged by the Elders. Lela and I were asked by two missionaries to fellowship Roger and Linda Griffin. Their daughter had been baptized, and they wanted to know more about the gospel but wanted to have some older missionaries visit them. Lela and I went to their home after having made an appointment and gave the first discussion from a video tape. We visited with them for a while, answered questions, and soon became good friends. As we were ready to leave I asked if they would like to have a word of prayer. They agreed quite happily, and I told them that I would give the prayer. We were kneeling around a table when their 16 year old son dressed in a motorcycle outfit came in. He looked really surprised to see us kneeling around the table, and I told him that we were just going to have a word of prayer and would he like to join us. Without any hesitation he said, "Yes." He took off his helmet and came and kneeled with us. Then I prayed. I can't remember the words that I said but the spirit of the Lord was really there. I have a greater testimony of the gospel because of this prayer. As I was saying it, I was overwhelmed by the spirit. A burning in my bosom was really there. I had feeling of elation throughout my being that was so strong that it brought a feeling of happiness to me. I lost the power to say words, and I actually giggled or laughed out loud as the spirit was overwhelming. All of us present had a great feeling, and we were able to make appointments with the Griffins to take them to some church functions and it wasn't long thereafter until we sat in on their baptism. We felt that we had a part in their baptism and conversion. We also fellowshipped a single fellow by the name of Alan Pickens. We had some great experiences with Alan, and he became one of our good friends, as we fellowshipped him through his early introduction to the Church. After a short time working with the younger missionaries and our fellow-shipping him, he was baptized; and he asked me if I would confirm him a member of the Church. We had anticipated that we would serve for a period of 18 months. But after about six months and a lot of stress, I became ill with a nervous condition which made it too difficult to continue. After a neurologist diagnosed me as having Parkinson's Disease, he said that we should be released. It was about a month later before there was a replacement missionary couple, Elder and Sister Heaton, to take over for us. We came home in February of 1991, after putting in a seven month block of time. Even though we did not serve our full time, both Lela and I felt like we had served our mission and done what the Lord had sent us out to do. We had most everything in the office caught up and in good order. It was a great and memorable experience in the lives of both of us, and we were glad that we had the opportunity. After we returned from our mission, we bought a new mobile home and located it in a lot in Canyon View Mobile Home Community, 1450 North Dixie Downs Rd. #105; St. George, Utah 84770. It is 14 feet by 66 feet long. It has almost a full length carport high enough that we can put our motor home and two cars under it. We have really enjoyed it as we can use it as a jumping off place to explore Southern Utah and longer vacations like down to Quartzite and Yuma where we like to visit some of our friends. The winters are warmer than Provo, and it very seldom snows there. We have entertained many friends there. Our children really like to visit when they have time and spend some time golfing and exploring with us. It has made a great vacation home for them. MY PERSONAL HEALTH I dislike talking about my health, because I hate to be sick; but, just for posterity, I would like to show that each of us has our own burdens to bear, I will give a short history of my medical experiences. As a child through elementary school, I had most of the childhood diseases. I had measles, mumps, scarlet fever, chicken pox, and whooping cough. When I was in about 5th grade, I had my appendix out. They were terribly inflamed and were about to burst. While I was 14, I had my tonsils out on December 24. They had been infected, and I had a sore throat all summer long. That was one Christmas that I did not enjoy very well, as I could not eat anything. I have suffered from the flu and from colds just about every winter throughout my life, especially after starting to teach school with having so many children that were sick around me all the time. In about 1967, I caught A-typical virus pneumonia which kept me out of school teaching for about six weeks. I was really sick. They kept me in an oxygen tent for three days in the hospital and then kept me two weeks longer while I recuperated from this pneumonia. I did not feel very good for the next few years because of the way it had weakened my body. I liked to jog, and I jogged a mile a day for years because I always felt better when I did it regularly. I encouraged my students to jog. Lela and I had prepared to go on a mission and had entered the MTC. Immediately I started complaining about pains in my right wrist. My writing would crimp down in size until I could hardly write or read it. I went to the doctor and he thought that it might be arthritis or some other injury that I had in my wrist. We did not have time to follow it through any more. We went to the Texas Dallas Mission in Dallas, Texas. We started working in the mission office. It was a high stress position and with my wrist hurting so and with so much to do, I became very stressed. I finally started going to a chiropractor thinking that he could work over my arm and get it back in shape. After about 10 treatments, I could see that there was no improvement. It seemed to be getting worse (numbness in fingers, sticky and sweaty fingers, discolored right hand and some in right leg, muscle twitching in forearm, cramping and numbness in right foot and leg, pain in neck, forearm and wrist). We went to a neurologist who immediately said that it was Parkinson's Disease. He told us to get ourselves out of our stressful situation since stress seemed to aggravate it. We were released after seven months in the mission office and went back to Provo to receive medical help. I went to a total of ten different doctors without any answers that we wanted to hear. I went to Dr. Klint Stander who thought it was caused by the nerve stretched across my first rib. I had 2 MRI tests, one of my skull which indicated that it wasn't MS or a stroke. We took another MRI of my neck which showed five points of stress probably caused by a fall off a scaffold while working for the school district. Part of my problem, which made the diagnosis harder, was that my right leg started with my toes cramping under and numbness in my foot so that I limped as I walked. To the doctors, the foot and the arm did not seem to be related. Dr. Stander thought that removing my first rib would help. We agreed to the surgery, and it did relieved some of the symptoms. I talked to Dr. Hess, my primary physician, and told him that I was going to stop chasing doctors, and I wanted him to treat me as if I had Parkinson's since most of the diagnoses' seem to point to it. He agreed, and I am taking Sinemet, Xanax, and Ibuprofen for relief. Our Heavenly Father didn't say that this life would be easy, but that this experience would be only for a moment in eternity. We are to endure to the best of our ability while we are here on this earth. I give thanks to my Heavenly Father for all of our life's experiences, for I feel that life has been good to me, to my wife, and to our family. I thank Him for the church, and for all of our friends which we have gained throughout this life. I have a testimony of the gospel. I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God. That he gave his life on the cross to atone for the sins of the world, that we can all have salvation in the Celestial Kingdom by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. I know that Joseph Smith was a modern day prophet, that he translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God, that the Book of Mormon is true, and that it contains the truth, the way and the life that can lead us unto salvation. I know that the Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead. He is a personage of spirit who's influence is everywhere, and he testifies of the righteous truth and of the love that our Heavenly Father has for each of us. He is the still small voice, the comforter in each of us. I know that God hears and answer our prayers in ways that are best for us. I pray that we all may live so that we will be welcomed back as true and faithful servants to the presence of our Father in Heaven, and I pray this for all my posterity. May all of you who read this history find comfort, fun and pleasure in reading it. I ask the Lord to bless you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. * * * * * * * * * * * * Keith often said, "And this, too, shall pass." This piece was found in the book, Poems That Touch the Heart, compiled by A. L. Alexander. Published by Hanover House, New York. THIS, TOO, SHALL PASS AWAY In times of trial an old Indian legend has given me much comfort. A king, who suffered many hours of discouragement, urged his courtiers to devise a motto, short enough to be engraved on a ring, which should be suitable alike in prosperity and in adversity. After many suggestions had been rejected, his daughter offered an emerald bearing the inscription in Arabic, "This, too, will pass." Said the poet: When skies are clear, expect the cloud; In darkness, wait the coming light; Whatever be thy fate today, Remember, even this, shall pass away! - Ella Wheeler Wilcox -

Life timeline of Ether Keith Aston

Ether Keith Aston was born on 8 Jan 1930
Ether Keith Aston was 16 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Ether Keith Aston was 26 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Ether Keith Aston was 34 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Ether Keith Aston was 47 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Ether Keith Aston was 59 years old when The tanker Exxon Valdez spilled 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; 41,000 m3) of oil into Prince William Sound, Alaska, causing one of the most devastating man-made maritime environmental disasters. A tanker is a ship designed to transport or store liquids or gases in bulk. Major types of tankship include the oil tanker, the chemical tanker, and gas carrier. Tankers also carry commodities such as vegetable oils, molasses and wine. In the United States Navy and Military Sealift Command, a tanker used to refuel other ships is called an oiler but many other navies use the terms tanker and replenishment tanker.
Ether Keith Aston was 62 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
Ether Keith Aston died on 12 Apr 2005 at the age of 75
Grave record for Ether Keith Aston (8 Jan 1930 - 12 Apr 2005), BillionGraves Record 35384 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States