Esther C Baker (Cole)

28 Jun 1849 - 8 Mar 1915

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Esther C Baker (Cole)

28 Jun 1849 - 8 Mar 1915
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Personal History of Esther Celestia Cole E sther was born in June 28, 1849 to William and Nancy Cole in Ottumwa, Iowa. Her parents had each been taught and baptized by Mormon missionaries in their youth before they married. In those days the Saints were already heading west to escape the mobs. Willi

Life Information

Esther C Baker (Cole)


Hooper Cemetery

5500 S 6300 W
Hooper, Weber, Utah
United States


beloved ones Sweetly sleep till the resurection day Then may we all greet each other Where all tears are wiped away.


January 6, 2012


January 6, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Esther C


Esther C Baker (Cole) is buried in the Hooper Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Personal History of Ester Celestia Cole

Contributor: finnsh Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Personal History of Esther Celestia Cole E sther was born in June 28, 1849 to William and Nancy Cole in Ottumwa, Iowa. Her parents had each been taught and baptized by Mormon missionaries in their youth before they married. In those days the Saints were already heading west to escape the mobs. William and Nancy were asked by Brigham Young to stay behind in Winter Quarters to assist the other saints. When Esther was just two years old, her family had completed their task at Winter Quarters and then joined the Henry Miller Wagon company and began the trek for Salt Lake City, arriving in the valley in 1852. Soon after the Coles arrived in Utah, they moved north to Stringtown (now called Riverdale) in Weber County. The Coles’ were still getting settled when Johnston’s Army came to put down the “Mormon uprising” that was supposedly taking place in Salt Lake. The memories of persecution from the mobs were still fresh in the minds of the saints and the Coles decided to leave their new home for a time to escape the soldiers. They headed south and lived in Provo until the army passed by and then returned to their home in Weber County. Esther’s mother died when she was just six years old, leaving her father with six children to raise. As Esther grew, she was observant of the things that were going on around her and treasured up many memories to share with the children she would have some day. She was able to tell them of the transformation of the Salt Lake valley from Sage Brush and Grasshoppers to a beautiful land full of homes and farms. She saw the days when people traded their wagons and hand carts for train tickets. There were many new inventions in her lifetime; the telephone, trains, automobiles, airplanes and submarines. She lived through times of both feast and famine. She told of times when they had neither food, nor ammunition for hunting. She wished that she could fly so that she could catch the ducks and geese as they flew by and bring them home for supper. Esther was married in March of 1865, three months before her 16th birthday. Her husband, who was 15 years older, had been working with her father and had taken a liking to her as he spent time with the family. Esther and her new husband worked together to build their first home in Riverdale and spent that first winter living in their wagon box as they built the home. Esther and William would drive that wagon, pulled by a horse and a cow into the hills to cut small poles for the house. Then the poles were stacked and chinked with adobe mud to form the walls. Esther’s first child was born almost nine months and 2 days after her wedding; a little girl named Esther. The second daughter came 3 years later. When Esther’s daughters were little, she would take them out to the slough to collect “salaratus” (salt dust). The west wind blew the salty water into the sloughs, the sun evaporated the water, after which the powder was collected and used in making soda and soap. William would then take the salt in to town and trade it for groceries. They also gathered berries and sold them door to door. Esther gave birth to eleven more children over the next 24 years. She taught her children well and was a good example and role model to them. She loved the temple and taught her children the great importance of performing their own temple work. All thirteen of her children were married in the temple and remained faithful. The last two years of her life, she suffered a great deal from gall stones. She finally agreed to have an operation, but it was unsuccessful. She suffered for two more weeks and passed away peacefully on her Golden Wedding anniversary, March 8th, 1915. William, who had passed away 7 years earlier must have come to bring his sweetheart home to heaven on their special day.

Ester Celestia Cole Baker

Contributor: finnsh Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

HISTORY OF ESTHER CELESTIA COLE BAKER Esther’s parents had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and were on the trek West with the Saints when Esther was nearly three years old. Their family reached Pottawattamie County, Iowa, where there were approximately 1,500 Saints scattered on Iowa’s Pottawattamie Indian lands, the majority of the Saints were in Kanesville. They traveled west with the Henry W. Miller Wagon Company and arrived in Salt Lake Valley, September 21, 1852. Soon after their arrival, they moved north to Stringtown (now Riverdale) in Weber County. Esther’s mother died when she was six years old, leaving her father with six children to raise. William Evans Baker became interested in Esther even though he was fifteen years her senior. They were married in Riverdale on March 8, 1865, three months prior to her sixteenth birthday. They homesteaded on Hooper Flats, spending the first winter living in their wagon box until William could complete their home. They went together to Riverdale to cut small poles, hauled them in their wagon drawn by their one horse and cow, formed a home from these poles, and chinked the holes with adobe mud. Esther and William would take their small daughters out to the slough to collect salaratus. The west wind blew the salty water into the sloughs, the sun evaporated the water, after which the powder was collected and used in making soda and soap. William would haul it to Salt Lake City to exchange for groceries. They packed salt from Great Salt Lake in bags, raised strawberries and transported the salt and berries from Roy to Salt Lake City to sell from door to door. Esther worked in the Relief Society as a teacher cared for many of the sick, and performed much temple work. Birth Date: 28 Jan 1849, Ottumwa, Wapello, Iowa Death: 8 Mar 1915, Ogden, Weber, Utah Parents: William Riley Cole & Nancy Sarepta Parrish Pioneer: 21 Sep 1852, Henry W Miller Wagon Train Spouse: William Evans Baker Married: 8 Mar 1865, Riverdale, Weber, Utah Death Sp: 24 Feb 1908, Roy, Weber, Utah Children: Esther Diana, 11 Dec 1865, Sarepta Julia Etta, 1 Feb 1868, Mary Ella, 12 Jan 1871, William Nathan 8 Mar 1873, Olive Rebecca, 9 Mar 1876, Rachel Eva, 30 Mar 1878 (died in infancy) Laura Teressa, 5 Mar 1879, Alta Terrilla, 19 Feb 1881, Thomas Parley, 14 May 1883, Ticia Pearl, 29 Apr 1885 (died at age 5) Abrahm Arnol, 27 May 1887, Henry Legrand, 3 Jun 1889 Omer Leo, 15 Jan 1892

Esther Celestia Cole by Granddaughters Berta Call & Ester Robinson as told to their Mothers

Contributor: finnsh Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Esther Celestia Cole By Granddaughters Bertha Call and Ester D. Robinson, as Told by their Mothers 3 December 1947 Esther Celestia Cole was born 28 June 1849, Pottawattamy County, Iowa. Her parents were William Riley Cole and Nancy Sarepta Parrish. Esther came across the plains with her parents in the year 1852 in Captain Clark's company. Settled in Riverdale, then called String Town. They had to go south for fear of Johnson's Army. Then they came back to Riverdale. Her mother died when she was 12 years of age, leaving her to go through many hardships. I have heard mother say there were times when they did not even have the food they needed. On March 8, 1865, she married William Evans Baker. In the spring of 1867 they went to look for a farm, on the running gears of the wagon with a slab for her to ride comfortably. They moved to Hooper, living in the covered wagon till Father could go to Riverdale and cut some small poles and lay them up one room with a dirt roof and floor, and cloth for windows. She used a sage brush for a broom and cooked on fireplaces. When she lived there but a few months, father got a few sheep. Mother would wash and cord the wool in rolls and spin it, and then knit us stockings. In the summer she and father would take Julia and me (Diana) out to the Slough and gathered salaterus. We would lay Julia on a quilt and I would watch her while they worked. Then Father would take it to Salt Lake and sell it for groceries. She worked very hard to help make a home. She worked in the Relief Society as a teacher and cared for the sick and did lots of temple work. The first 24th of July celebration in Hooper she composed these verses to recite: It's a twenty-three years since the pioneers came Across the pathless desert plains. When they reached these valleys they knew it best To settle down here for to rest, For here no mobocrats could come To molest their peaceful home. A peaceful home they longed to see Where they could live in harmony And by their faithfulness and toil They plowed and tilled the barren soil And from the mountains the water flowed And from it all vegetation grew. Now in this peaceful land of joy All nations say they'll us destroy. They'll kill our prophet and our seer And take our wives and children dear. But oh, this thing will never be For God above all things can see He'll protect His saints-I'll tell you why, Because on Him they do rely. In 1873 she had to move to another house without windows or chink or plaster because father's sister came from England and came down with the smallpox. We lived there about 4 years and then moved to Roy which was then called the Sand Ridge or Basin of the Desert. Nothing but prickly pears and sage brush and hot sand. So you can see she was a pioneer. She had 13 children, 5 boys and 8 girls and raised 12 to manhood and womanhood. My sister Julia was the first white child born in Hooper. There are nine of us now living. Mother played with us. We threw water on each other. We were all girls together. She was always cheerful and full of fun. I remember when we were all small children one Christmas eve we hung our strocking up and Father's with them. In the morning we had a few raisins and currents, a little candy and some homemade donuts. It was not like it is now, not many toys could be bought. Mother had written these verses and put them with donuts in Father's stocking: Dear Father of this little group I now give you a call I wish a Merry Christmas to you one and all. Although your lot be scanty of candy and of cake I hope that dear old Santa Claus will never us forsake. When he read these lines, tears rolled down his cheeks. He said, "Take care of these; I want to keep them." Many of her posterity have gone as missionaries to preach the gospel to all nations. When she passed away at the age of 66, she left a posterity of 92. There are 548 living posterity to the year 1948. Her baby sister Emeline Gardner is 92 and still living.

An interview with Serepta Julia Baker Garner

Contributor: finnsh Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Material obtained directly from Serepta Julia Etta Baker Garner by Granddaughter Irene Platt Geilman and Granddaughter in law Jean B. Platt. Some of the material was found on a copy of a tape made by True Garner, son of Serepta Julia Etta Baker Garner, where in she related to him some of her memories. The rest of the material was found in the records of Laura C. Garner Platt (daughter). I am Janette Platt Trottier (great granddaughter) and will copy the complete text of the history as compiled by Irene Platt Geilman and will not edit it. Serepta Julia Etta Baker was born February 1, 1868 in Hooper, Weber County, Utah. She is the daughter of William Evans and Esther Celestia Cold Baker. Sarepta Julia Etta was known throughout her life as Julia. Her father, William, was born June 12, 1834 at Hurley, Warwickshire, England, the son of Thomas and Mary Evans Baker. William joined the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Worcetershrie, England and came to Utah, bring his widowed Mother and his two sisters, Caroline and Elizabeth, with him. William and Esther were married March 8, 1865. William was 31 years of age and Esther, having been born 28 June 1849, was 16 years of age. The young couple lived in Riverdale, a part that is now known as South Weber, until after their first child, Esther Diana, was born 11 December 1865. Soon after, they "took up" (homesteaded) some land in Hooper, Weber County, Utah and moved on to this farm in a covered wagon, in which they lived for about six weeks, while William built a two room house with a dirt roof. This home was located in the west part of Hooper near the lake, at the big springs, known as "Hales Bend." Her Julie was born February 1, 1868. She was the first white child born in Hooper. Later they made an addition of one large room to this house to make a home for William's mother, Mary Evans Baker. She lived in this home for the remainder of her life. After the death of William's mother, there was a family by the name of William Garner, which moved from Slaterville to Hooper. They had five children, and they were all living in a covered wagon, so William and Esther Baker offered the Garners the use of his mother's room, rent free, to live in while their home was being built. The Garners were very grateful for this room because it was so much nicer than a covered wagon for seven people to live in. The Garner's had a boy, Justin who was just seven days older than Julia. Both the Bakers and the Garners had quite a few cattle and they pastured them together in the same pasture, so Esther Baker and Mary Garner took turns herding the cattle to keep them from wandering too far, because there were no fences, and also to keep them safe from the Indians while the men worked on the farm. Esther would get the meals, tend the children, and nurse both babies from her breast, while Mary herded the cattle one day. The next day, Mary would take her turn at the house work and tending the children, and nursing both babies from her breast, while Esther herded the cattle. The mothers said the babies knew the difference in the mothers and had to be really hungry before they would nurse from other than their own mother. The other Garner children were Mary Ann, William Riley Joseph Ephriam and Chancy James. Chancy and Diana used to spend much time playing together. Their favorite game was making mud pies, a memory that neither of them ever forgot. Julia was the second child in a family of 13 children. The other children were Esther Diana, Mary Ella, William Nathan, Olive Rebecca, Rachel Eve, Laura Teressa, Alta Terrilla, Thomas Parley, Ticia Pearl, Abraham Amol, Henry LeGrand, and Omar Lee. When Julia was five years old, her Father sent back to England for his brother and married sister Henry Fields Sr. and Sarah Jane, and their married daughter and five other children. They got the smallpox and four of the children died in Hooper.There were no doctors available and the family had to doctor themselves as best they could. They had to burn or bury all of the clothes belonging to anyone that had smallpox, in a effort to keep from spreading the disease. Julia's father and mother shared generously with them, giving them food, clothing, and bedding. The brother's family was so sick and seemed desperately in need of help, so Julie's father offered to go in and help them, knowing that he too would probably get the smallpox. He kissed his family goodbye and sent to the home of his brother but the family seemed much better and it was not necessary for him to go in. There were no undertakers to care for the dead, so their family or friends had to prepare and bury their own dead. When anyone died of a contagious disease, such as these children had, they had to be buried in the night because they would not allow their bodies on the road during the day time when anyone else might be passing. Julia's father was a man who wanted to have the best there was at the time for himself and his family. He first used a team of oxen and a wooden beam plow to plow the ground with. He also used the oxen for the other work. Later he got a pair of yellow buck skin horses to drive. "My, we thought we could go fast when we got this team of horses," said Julia. They had a wagon with a board across to sit on and ass soon as the spring seats cam our, her father bought one for her mother and himself to sit on. He would put some straw in the bottom of the wagon and spread a quilt over it for the children. In speaking of her childhood she said"We thought we had things food enough for anyone." "Father wanted to make a sleigh for us to use in the winter, so he went to the canyon and got two long maple poles that the tree had been bent over as they grew. He smoothed off the bottoms of them and they made good sleigh runners, then he put a wagon box on them and a spring seat across to sit on, and we had a fine sleigh. Her would take us and all the neighbor children to school and bring us back at night, for the snow was deep in those days and there were no snowplows of any kind. I remember, he always put three children up to cling on to the back of him and told the others to cling on to them, and we all stood up in the sleigh. One night the horses jumped quick at something, and the three that were clinging on to father let loose and we all fell out of the sleigh on the snow. When we looked up, father was down the road but there was no one hurt, and we surely laughed about it." "Father got us a new two seated buggy when they first came out, and then later, he got a top buggy for one horse. It was one of the first if not the very first buggy in Hooper." When harvest time came it was indeed a hard time. The work all had to be done by hand. One of the hardest jobs was to cradle the wheat. "Father was considered one of the best men in the community at doing this. Sometimes he would cradle grain by the acre and sometimes by the day. $l.50 a day was good wages for those days." "Some years later Father got a mowing machine and a header to handle the wheat harvest with. I remember there was an old lady named Sarah Grover. She took a straw bed tick and tied it on the old cow and then she went around the grain patch where the header had left grain and gathered the wheat. She put it in the straw tick that was tied on the cow so that she could take it home to feed her chickens and animals because they didn't have any grain to feed their stock." "Sometimes we would all go out to the lake shore and we children would play in the shade of the wagon while Father and Mother gathered selratis (salt) and put it in sacks. When they had gathered enough to make a wagon load they would take it to Salt Lake City to sell it. They did any kind of harvest work they could to make a few dollars to make a livelihood." As Julia was telling us these things, a great granddaughter came into the room caring a doll and asked, "Grandma did you ever have a doll?" "Yes" answered Julia. "I had just one boughten doll. I remember, I must have been about three years old when Uncle Riley, that was my Mother's brother, brought it to me. It was a china doll with no hair but it was dressed up very nice. I was so proud of it for it was the only boughten toy in the house." "Often" said Julia, "when we wanted to play house, we would make a ray doll or roll yup an apron and use it for a doll. The boys would ravel (unravel) out a worn out stocking and with the string or yarn, make a ball by wrapping the yarn around and around and sewing it so it wouldn't come undone. No, we didn't have many toys to play with but we didn't have much time to play either." Julia continued, "There was no sugar candy in those days because there was no sugar. Sometimes Mother would make molasses candy by boiling the molasses until it was thick and then pulling it as you do taffy. We used to raise our own sugar cane. It grew tall and resembled field corn stalks. It was cut by hand with a sharp knife, orscycle, and laid in stacks and then hauled in a wagon and piled in a stack by it's self near the molasses mill. The neighbors did the same. They were left there for the mill operator to make into molasses and we used this for our sweetening." The molasses mill consisted of two roller stones standing upright. At the top of these stones were attached cog wheels. They fit inside one another with a shaft from the top of one cog wheel. A horse was harnessed to this shaft and the horse was driven or lead around in a circle, and as he went around, it would cause the roller stones to roll together. As the seed tassels were cut off the cane stalk and the stalk fed between the stones it would squeeze the juice out. It was caught by the large vessel placed directly under the roller stones. This juice was then put in a large metal container. A fire was built under it. The juice was boiled until it was a syrup or molasses. It had to be stirred with a large wooden paddle to keep it from burning. The pulp was put into a pile to be fed to the livestock. Often the youngsters would play on the pulp pile. "I'm the king of Bunker's Hill" was one of their favorite games. It was while playing this that Julia broke her little finger and when it healed, with out the help of a doctor, it was crooked, and it remained that way the rest of her life. There was no sugar to be bought in Ogden, Utah until the railroad came through. "Then one day,"said Julia, "Father was in town (Ogden) and saw some cube sugar. He bought some in a paper sac and brought them home to us. We were so pleased that Diana and I would see who could make it last the longest. We would take a taste and then put it away for a while. Once we made one cube last a week" "The next candy we saw was stick candy. Father saw some in town so he bought some and gave them as prizes at our local Fourth of July celebration." "We didn't have any fancy foods. We made our own cheese and churned our own butter." "All the lights we had were tallow (grease) candles. Some were made by wrapping cloth around a button and tying it on top. The button would make it stand up so that light was straight. We would place this in a dish and saturate it with grease and leave plenty of grease in the dish. When lit on the top, it would make a light for two or three evenings." "Our beds were made of wooden board frames with holes all around in which we would lace rope to act as a spring. We would then fill ticks with straw or feathers and these were our mattresses." "We had to cook, even bake our bread over an open fire in a big kettle. I remember too," said Julia, "helping Mother as she gathered the wool and washed it in homemade soap. Then we would pick it over to get out all the trash that shouldn't be in it, then we corded it. A corder was l ilke a wire tooth brush used to straighten the wool. Then the wool was spun with a spinning wheel into thread and made into skeins by wrapping it from our hand, around our elbows, as we took it off the spindle of the spinning wheel. Now the wool was ready to be used." I recall spinning some but it was hard for me to do." She said, "I don't remember Mother doing very much of her own weaving either." "Sewing was all done by hand. In the evenings, I would sometimes hole the candle while my Mother ran the spinning wheel, or sewed by hand. We knitted our own stockings and sweaters." "Our first sewing machine was one that screwed on to the table n was run by turning a handle. like you do a food grinder. When we got this we were so pleased. We thought we had everything. However, much later we did get a Singer sewing machine that we treaded with our feet." "Everything had to be made at home, our shirts, paints, dresses, coats, stockings, everything, even the garments. The garments were made of a white cloth we called "factory" which was brought in by train or wagon. There was no clothing to be bought, regardless of how much money you had. "These were no broom and we had to make our own out of sage brush fastened to a stock." "The washing had to be done by hand too. We would heat water in a tub or a boiler to wash with. Then we would rub the cloth up and down on the wash board until they were clean." Everyone went to Ogden for supplies that they could not grown themselves or exchange for with their neighbors. "For heat", said Julia, "and to cook with we used to burn sage brush and biscuit (mesquite) roots. When the ground was plowed and there were biscuit roots plowed up, we would gather them and dry them. They . They made good fire. But Father would always go to the canyon in the summer and get hard wood (maple trees) and store away for winter. They would have to haul four or five big loads to make sure of enough wood to keep us warm all winter." "When there were enough children in the community of Hooper to start a school, a one room adobe brick school house was built. Adobe bricks were made of clay put into a mold. About the same as they are today. Then they were sun baked and dried until they were very hard. They were not baked with fire because we had no cool or anything to make heat with except wood. In school, we sat on long straight benches made by splitting a log and putting pegs under the round side to keep it from rolling and the flat side up to set on. Only one teacher was hired. She taught all the grades. There were only six grades in school. That usually was all the formal education the teachers themselves had received. Our parents had to pay our own tuition, ten dollars in advance and school lasted a long as there was money. There were no laws compelling anyone to go to school and school was held in the winter months when there was not work to do. All grades met in this one room. There were very few books to be had. Most of the instruction was given from charts. The charts were on a stand at the front of the room. As they finished one sheet, it was turned over and they study the next page.. The teacher also used a blackboard \sometimes. The children would write their lessons on their slates. After they had recitation, they would erase it with a cloth for the next class." Julia laughed as she added, "Often us kids used our sleeves or aprons. We carried our slates back and forth to school each day as we had no desks to put them in." Chancy Garner and Julie Baker were among the children in the first school. The girls wore calico dresses, with full skirts that came about one half way between their knees and their ankles. We didn't have much clothing. We generally had a dress for Sunday and one or two school or everyday dresses. Sometimes when they got soiled, Mother would wash them after we came home from school and then she would heat the flat iron on the stove and press them, so we could have a dress to wear back to school the next day. The boys wore home made clothes too. It was hard to get shoes. In the summer time, they went barefooted most of the time. When Saturday night came, Chancy and all the other boys had to soak their feet in a bucket of bran water to get them clean enough for church on Sunday. They often went to Church barefooted because they didn't have shoes to wear. "I remember,"said Julia, "We had to walk about 1 and 1/2 miles to school. In bad weather Father would take us in the wagon or in the sleigh, whichever was better to use. One year we had to go to school in Davis County to a school we called "Heebogan." This was about two and one half or three miles away. Father thought this was too far, so after that he made different arrangements." Julia first attended church in the school house and was in attendance when the first Sunday School in Hooper was organized by Brother Richard Ballantyne. The first parties and programs she attended were also held in the school house in the winter time. They went to them in sleighs or wagons or on horse back. In the summer their entertainments were held in ruddy constructed boweries made with poles in the ground and leafy branches of trees laid across them for shade. Sunday School was also held under the bowery in the summer. After the Relief Society Hall was built in Hooper, which was an adobe building, their entertainments were held there. There were no moving picture shows but home troops often put on plays and programs of various kinds. William Baker also homesteaded 80 acres of land in the basin which is now Roy. The only water they had was from the windless deep well. It was about 50 feet deep and was wound with a windless put across the top with a handle on it. There was a rope with a bucket on it and it. The handle was turned to raise or lower the bucket in the well. Later on, they had two a buckets on the rope. When one was drawn up the other one was lowered. This was a very good well and people came from all around there to get water from it. They built a two room frame house on this land. At first, the frame homes were lined with "factory" (cloth)to help keep them warmer. Later they made a crude plaster out of lime and sand to line their homes with. This home was in what was then part of Hooper, which was later joined to Kanesville, and still later, it was called the Roy Ward. It was located about a quarter of a mile west of the Rio Grande railroad tracks and about a half mile south of where the Weber Memorial Hospital now stands. Julia was about nine years old when they moved to Roy in the summer and back to Hooper in the winter. The laws stated they must live on the land six months of every year and improve the land, in order to keep the homesteadland. This they had to do for five years before they could receive their deeds to the property. When they changed places from Hooper to Roy, the children would drive the cattle, while Mr. Baker fetched a load of furniture and supplies. "We didn't have our homes furnished like they do nowadays," said Julia. "All we had were a few chairs, a table, some dishes, a stove and a pretty good cupboard, and a bed. It is hard to realize what little we had to get along with. But we were happy and united together and we thought we had the nicest things on earth and we were up with the average people." "My Father built a road from Hooper to Roy. He had to build a bridge over the big slough. Father maintained that road and kept it up from one farm to the other to make a shorter distance for him to travel to work on them. This road was often used by the public as well." Julia told the following incident about Indians around her home in Roy. "When I was about ten years old, my cousin Lillie Olmstead, and I, were herding the cows. There were hardly any fences, and we could herd our cattle almost any where we wanted to. This particular day we were with them over near the Oregon Short Line railroad tracks. We had both been riding on one horse, but we got off to pick some flowers. There was a band of about 50 or 100 Indians up along the tracks and when they saw us, a few of the older Indians started to holler and came after us on their horses. We were barefooted and I stepped on a prickly pear (cactus), but we managed to get back on the horse and rode away as fast as we could, bringing only a few of the cows with us. The Indians were only trying to frighten us. As soon as we got started for home, they quit chasing us and went back to the others. They made a lot of fun with each other because we were so scared of them. Later on, after the Indians were out of sight we went back and got the rest of the cows. It was a common thing to find bands of Indians up in the hills and the canyons gathering berries and camping but we were scared of them." "We used to like to play hop scotch and the boys, especially, like to play guinea peg. To play this, you had a piece of wood about six inches long and two or three inches in diameter that had been whittled slanting to a point on each end. You hit the peg on the whittled end with a long stick This would make it jump in the air. Sometimes it would fly high enough that you could hit it like a baseball. The object of the game was to see who could get the peg, by this method, to a given place first. WE also played other outdoor games and sometimes we would play "Button, Button, Who's Got the Button", in the house on stormy days." "AS we got older, for recreation we went to one another's homes for candy pulls, with molasses candy. We would play games and sometimes we would roll up the rugs, if there were rugs, on the floor and we would dance. We danced square dances, waltz's, the schottishe, and suevean, but everyone danced the same dance at the same time, often changing partners for the different dances. Later George Munsey built a large hall out of rough lumber and we then held our dances there. Then we would take our picnic lunches and we danced, then we would eat, and those who wanted to would dance some more." Because the three oldest Baker children were girls, the girls had to help their father with the farm work. But usually Diana helped the Mother in the house and Julia helped Father with the chores, such as shucking the corn for the pigs. They would shuck about a bushel of corn each morning. They also had to take the dried corn off the cobs for the chickens. They pushed it off with their thumbs or rubbed two cobs together and it would work the corn off. They sometimes had to pump water for the livestock to drink when the ditches were dry. They cows had to be milked by hand and all the animals fed. These chores had to be done each morning before going to school. The girls also helped in the field when their help was needed. They helped pull weeds and to harvest the crops, or whatever else they could do to help. "When we'd get short of feed for the cattle, we would go out on the prairies, not far from home, and gather prickly pears. We children would hold the prickly pears (cactus) over the bonfire on a stick and burn the needles off them so the cows could eat them." "We girls helped with the cooking too." said Julia. "I remember one time my sister, Ella and I, were supposed to have supper ready by the tije the men got home from work, so we went out and caught a chicken to kill and fix for supper. I said "Ill tie a string on it's head and you hold it so that it will stretch it's neck across the chopping block and I;ll hold it's feet and chop it's head off. Well, I swung the axe but it didn't quite cut it clear off. A small piece of skin still held it's head and body together. When I throwed the chicken away from me, it swung right around toward Ella and the chicken started flopping around. Ella got excited and started to run, still holding on to the string . With every step she took the chicken came bounding along behind her. She got scared and ran for the house as fast as ever she could run because she thought the chicken was chasing her, but the faster she ran the faster it came. Was she ever chagrined when she realized she was still holding onto the string." Julia and Chancy courted for sometime and fell in love. When Julia was 16 and Chancy was 19, they decided to get married, with their parent'a consent. When the news got out, a young man by the name of Burt Simmons, rode up on his horse and said, "Chance, if I can find a woman that will have me, can we go with you in your wagon to Salt Lake and be married?" Chance said, "Why sure, we'd be glad to have you go with us." So he got and his horse and went galloping off. In about two hours, he was back and said, "Sarah Jane Starkey will marry me" so they would go with us. Now in those days, before a couple could be married in the Temple or Endowment House, they had to be re-baptized. So in accordance with this, Chancy and Julia, Burt and Sarah Jane went down to "Warm Water Springs," in Hooper and were re-baptized. Julia's Mother made Julia's wedding dress. It was made of light cream colored alipakies, a silk and wood blend material. It had long sleeves, a high neck line, and a plated floor length skirt and was trimmed with silk lace. On March 5, 1884 Julia and Chancy, along with Burt and Sarah Jane, accompanied by Julia's Mother, went in a covered wagon, pulled by a team of horses to Salt Lake City. They stopped at Farmington at noon for lunch and to feed the horses. The roads were bad and it took a ful day to make the trip. They stayed that night at the home of Lize Ann White. The next day, March 6, 1884 , they walked to the Endowment House, which was only a few blocks away, and were married in a double wedding. Chancy gave Julia a silver wedding ring. Brother Daniel H. Wells, performed the ceremony. He was the same man who hadmarried Julia's Grandfather Cole and his second wife (Aunt Mehelia), and also Julia's own Father and Mother. The Endowment House was a building that stood on Temple Square and was used for the same purpose as the Temple is, until the completion of the Temple. It was heated with a pot bellied stove in which a fire was built with wood or cool. "I remember," said Julia, "One lady was quite out of sorts because the man that was building the fire was whistling while he worked." After the wedding, the party started for home. They came as far as the south edge of Farmington and there stayed over night, the night of March 6, in the home of Jody Robinson, the Robinsons being away from home for the night. The following day it was storming like the dickens but they came home. When they got as far as what is called Clearfield, Julia's Father was up there to meet them and a fresh team of horses. They hitched them on to the wagon and were able to get back in time for a joint wedding supper at the Baker home. Both families shared in furnishing and preparing the supper. They had chicken and turkey with all the trimming, boiled ham, and a decorated wedding cake. Following the supper, a wedding dance was held in Munsey's hall for the two happy couples. Julia's sister, Diana was married just three weeks later, on 27 March 1884, to William Foster Robinson. After Chancy and Julia's marriage, they moved to Roy, into one of William Baker's houses. Itwas on the 80 acre dry farm, and Chancy and Julia farmed it. However, William Baker gave them two acres of dry farm land to build on, as he did each of their children when they were married. While living in this house, their first child, Julia May, was born, April 18, 1885. They later moved back to Hooper where Laura Celestia was born, January 10, 1888. The snow was drifted so high it covered the fences and when they went to get Julia's sister, Diana and the mid-wife, Sister Belnap, to help them at the time of Laura's birth, they didn't have to use the roads. They just went right over the tops of the fences on the snow drifts. From Hooper, they to Burch Creek, where Chancy and Will worked for Soloman and Jesse Stephens. The Stephens Brothers were building contractors. They also had a farm on which the men worked. The Stephens Brothers also furnished a double house that Chancy and Julia shared with Will and Diana. While living in Burch Creek, May had brain fever and was so bad that the doctors didn't think she could possibly live through the night. The L,D.S. Elders were called in and they administered to her and she lived. But for three days, if you pinched her cheek it would stay in that shape for several minutes. It was here too the May proved to be a heroine. When she was about five years old, she, Jess, and Clarence Robinson, sons of William and Diana Robinson, were playing near a ditch where the water ran swiftly down and around a hill. Clarence who was about three and one-half years old, fell into the ditch. The water was so swift that he couldn't stand up or catch himself. He was being washed down stream. Jess, who was the older of the three ran home to get help but May was very scared and she raced along side of him on the ditch bank. to where it was narrower. Then she reached out and grabbed Clarence by the hand. The swift current nearly pulled her in too but she braced herself and was somehow able to pull him out onto the bank. Clarence was strangling and crying. May wiped the water from his face and had him pretty well comforted by the time help arrived. They were all so frightened that they never forgot it. Throughout Clarence's life, her remembered Mary as the girl that saved his life. "I remember another incident that happened when we lived in Burch Creek. William Robinson went down to the creek to fetch a bucket of water. He got the water and was coming back up the bank when his foot slipped and he fell backwards. He threw up his arms and poured the bucket of water right own over his head and face. Now he was one that swore but this time ye yelled, "Oh Hell, I'm drowned!" Leaving Burch Creek, They moved to Ogden, near Taylor's Mill where Chancy worked for Frank Watson. This area is now known as the east edge of Riverdale. William Riley Cole, Julia's Grandfather, helped to build this mill. From Taylor's Mill, they moved back to the Baker home in Roy. Here, Chancy Jr. was born, June 30, 1890, and died the same day. In the spring of 1891 they had a two room home built for themselves on their land that Julia's parents had given them when they were married. At this point Julia's oldest daughter, interrupted and added, "Yes I remember, I was Pa's boy and I remember when we were trying to get some fruit trees and also some shade trees started around our home." "We would hitch the team onto the wagon and put 50 gallon wooden barrels in the wagon. Then we would go about two and one-half miles west. About one-half way to Hooper to the pasture, where there was a flowing well. Pa would fill the bucket full of water from the well and hand it up to me in the wagon. I would pour the water into the barrels. We would repeat this until both the barrels were full. Then we would go back to the farm and make a little ditch around each tree and pour one or two buckets full of water at the trunk of each tree. We kept the trees watered in this manner and that is how we got the trees started." At this home, William Charles was born 12 June 1891, as were all the other children. Later two more rooms were added to this house. The other children born to them were: Annie Eve, born October 29, 1893; Elmer Ray, born January 23, 1896; Nathan Owen, born July 23, 1898; Even Truke, born October 11 , 1900; David Ira, born November 21, 1902; Dewey LeGrand, born January 17, 1905; Delbert Lloyd, born November 3, 1907, Ruth Ione, born November 11, 1909, who died January 13, 1911 with measles and pneumonia; and Vern George, born May 24, 1912. Julia only had the help of a mid-wife when her children were born. When David Ira was born she was very sick. There was no doctors within seven miles. He would have to be sent for by horseback and then travel the distance back again on horseback. She had to trust her life to the mid-wife. But when the mid-wife, Mrs Owens, saw how serious Julia was, she fainted. Julia's sister, Diana, was also with her and she ran out and called Elders, who were working close by in the field. They came in and administered to her. Soon after, they were through, the baby was born and Diana took care of Julia and the baby. The mid-wife had to be taken home. About 1891, the Weber-Davis canal was built. "Here", Julia said, "Iv'e heard this story many times. My husband's Grandfather, William Garner Sr. and several other Brethren, were camped one afternoon near the mouth of Weber Canyon, and he called them over to the side of the camp and said, "Some of you men will live to see them build a canal from the mouth of this canyon around those foothills, on to the bench down below, and it will water thousands of acres." William Garner Sr. lived to see part of this come true, indeed to help make it come true. The first canal in the area was the Hooper canal. He surveyed it with his naked eye and the use of a stick to sight along. There were no surveying instruments at that time. They ave surveyed this canal years since with good instruments and left it right where Mr. Garner surveyed it. It was a difficult job to build it. They worked a long time on it for all the digging, plowing, and scraping had to be done with horses and man power. They didn't have much to eat. Often just bread and buttermilk and a few potatoes now and then. Chancy was one of the men that worked on this canal. Later they built the canal that watered Roy. The canal brought irrigation changing their crops from dry farming to cultivated produce. Chancy and Julia bought more land on which to farm. Among other things, they raised lots of strawberries. In fact the day before Charles was born, Julia faced 136 cases of strawberries and nailed them up so that they could be nailed together so they would not job (jog) around and get bruised because they used to take them in wagon leads to Salt Lake City to market. They would go as far as Bountiful the first day, and spend the night, getting up early the next morning, so as to get them to the Salt Lake market as early as possible. Chancy and Julia were always active in the church and had great faith in the power of the priesthood. When the first Relief Society was organized in the Roy Ward. Mrs Charlotte Holland was the President; Mrs. Jones was first counselor and Julia was second counselor for several years. They had to go out among all kinds of sickness. The men would go administer to the sick and the ladies would go doctor them. They did everything they could to help the sick, the poor and the afflicted. When they first organized the Roy Ward, Thomas Holland was bishop. Chancy Garner was first counselor and William Robinson was second counselor. Julia and Chancy served on the Old Folks committee of Roy from the time it was organized until Chancy's death. In those days, it was the duty of the Old Folks Committee to take care of the needs of those that were unable to care for themselves, as well as take them many places. Julia was Chaplain in the First Daughters of the Pioneer Camp in Roy, and was later made Captain. She and her husband always did a great deal of Temple work. Before they had an automobile, they would drive to Salt Lake City in a wagon and stay for a week at a time at the Emigrant House. While there, they spent their time doing Temple work. Julia said, "When we started having conference at Salt Lake City, we used to go down in covered wagons and camp in City Creek or in the Old Emigrant House in Salt Lake while we attended the three day conference. We had a real good time. Now we can't get close to it at all. I've lived to see that much." When the Salt Lake Temple was dedicated, my husband, his grandmother, his mother, and I were all privileged to attend and to go through the Temple the day of the dedication. It was April 6, 1893, and it was dedicated by President Wilford Woodruff." Chancy was the Sunday School Superintendent of the Roy Ward for a long time. He would carry his Sunday School books and song books back and forth in a large basket on his arm because they didn't have a church house; just a one room school house to meet in. There was no place there to keep them. Chancy fulfilled a short term mission to the Western States mission with headquarters in Denver, Colorado. He received his call, December 3, 1917, and left for the mission December 12, 1917, leaving his wife with five children still at home. He labored in Denver, Pueblo, and Trinidad and came home in 1918. Julia and the boys ran the farm while he was gone. He also served a Stake Mission for the Weber Stake. He was appointed March 21, 1928 and was released June 10 , 1929, President Browning was Stake President at this time. Tithing was paid by taking one tenth of whatever they produced, into the tithing office. Everyone was given credit for what they brought in. Julia could remember her Father and Mother going to Salt Lake City on the Oregon Short Line Train to attend the funeral services for President Brigham Young. She could also remember the Rio Grande Train coming through this part of the country. Julia did a great deal of sewing, free of charge, for friends and relatives. Chancy and Julia, and Diana and her husband, Will Robinson were always ready and willing to help the sick whenever they were needed. They were called out t all hours of the day and night to help the sick in both Roy and in Clinton. They were called by neighbors first and if they thought a doctor was needed, he was sent for. Before the days of the telephone and automobile, it took a long time to get a doctor. Someone had to ride to town , on horseback and tell him. Then the doctor would have to ride back on horseback or in his buggy. When a family had a contagious disease and it was necessary for Julia and Diana to go into the home, they would change their clothes outside their home and put on others to wear into the sick home. When they were through and ready to come back to their own families again, they would change clothes again, and wash themselves good. In this way they never contracted the disease or brought it home to their own families. They worked together to deliver over a hundred babies. They never lost one case or had any bad results with either the baby or the mother. Not one case of blood poison nor one bit of trouble. They were often called on to help sew for the dead, dress them and lay them out, and very often sat up with them all night. In those days, some one usually, about three people, sat with the dead continually from the time they died, until they were buried. These two sisters seemed to have a power with them to heal the sick, to cheer the despondent, and were of great comfort to those in sorrow. In fact, they were very wonderful people to be with at any time. One just felt better in their presence. If you were sick and Grandma or Aunt Diana came, you just knew that you would be better. Chancy like to hunt ducks, a lot of which he sold to the railroad hotel and eating houses. They used to buy blank shells, gun powder in big cans, and shot in twenty-five pound sacks, and then load their own shells. The night before they were to go hunting, they would make perhaps a hundred or two shells, so that he would have plenty for the next day. Julia said, "I always used to help him. There was no limit on ducks then, You could shoot as many as you'd have a mind to." One winter, Chancy and some of his brothers went out to Promontory and shot ducks for market and shipped them from Corrine. In order to ship them on the train, they had to box them and mark them, "Eggs". Lots of the duck feathers were kept and washed and dried to make pillows and feather bed ticks out of. Chancy spent most of the time farming for their living. However, he did do some other work. He worked on the canal and the railroad. Julia laughed as she told us the following tale. "I remember one time when Pa, (as she lovingly called chancy) and Will Robinson were coming home from working on the railroad, they were riding on their horses. Will's horse jumped sideways when it was scared by something. Will clung on with just one hand and one foot over the horse's back bill finally he just curled up and fell. He let a big grunt out of him that nearly tickled Pa to death. Pa had to get off the horse and laugh cause Will fell of his horse in such an awkward manner." Chancy worked for the Denver Rio Grande railroad when they built the spur from Bingham amd around to Magna. They stayed down there for several months. He hauled sand from the hill above Roy, over to the Ogden Iron works in a wagon, pulled by a team of horses. This sand was used by the Iron Works in the molding process. Julia said, "The children and I used to help my husband in the field as much as we could. One time when we were going out to the field to get a load of hay on the hay rack, we were crossing a ditch and I was sitting on the side of the rack on a board. When we crossed the ditch the board broke right in two and I went down under the wheel and the wagon ran right over me but it didn't hurt me much. I got up smiling for the clumsy thing I had done. Then we went out and loaded the hay. When we got back over to the house, Pa pitched the hay upon the stack to me and I stacked it. "When we were raising our family, most every summer we would take a family and some of our neighbors would take their families and we would go in wagons up in the canyon and camp for several days. While there we would pick sarvis berries, choke cherries, and haws or what was there to pick. We also used to snow fish. There was no law against snagging in those days. This was a lot of fun." Chancy and Julia seemed o be the ones that his Mother and brothers and sisters always turned to for help and advise. Chancy's siter, Lavina, stayed with them from the time she was big enough to work; out picking berries, peas, and so on. Lavinia always said her brother Chancy was more like a Father to her then a brother. Two of Chancy's brothers, lived with them for two or three summers. Julia always made them welcome, never charging anyone a cent for board or room. In 1907, Chancy's two younger brothers died with two weeks of each other. This left his Mother, Mary Field Garner alone, so she came to stay with Chancy and Julia. From that time on, it became her permanent home. However, she usually went back down to Hooper for a while each summer for a few years. And then, in 1910, Chancy's Father, who had been separated from Chancy's Mother for some time, also came to live with them. He stayed until his death in 1915. In 1919, Lola, who was their son, Owen's wife, contracted the flu and died, leaving a daughter Beth, who was just two weeks old. Owen brought his baby and came back home to live. Julia continued to take care of Beth for two and one-half years, until after Owen had remarried and gotten settled in another home. After the death of their daughter Annie's husband, in 1920, Annie and her two daughters, Ruth and Velma, came to their home to live. Julia took care of Annie's children while she worked for about three years. Julia was usually in good health, but in 1925, she had a severe operation in the Dee Hospital. Their children always had the advantage of good clothes and plenty to eat, and had opportunity for as much education as they wanted. Eleven of their thirteen children, lived to be married and have families They all have now been married in the Temple. Some were married in the Temple, others went later and had their work done. As each of their children were married, they were given a nice wedding party and helped to get started as much as possible. Charles, their oldest son, fulfilled a mission to the Central States. He left home in 1920 and just a short time after, her arrived in the mission field, on January 13, 1911, his baby sister, Ruth Ione died. It was very sad news to send him. She was only 14 months old and a very sweet little girl. Charles received a honorable release in 1912. In 1916, Chancy and Julia's family began to go away to where they could get better opportunities to make a living. Charles and Ray went to Rupert, Idaho. They took what little furniture they had and loaded it on the train and went to Rupert to live. Since that time the other boys have all moved out into that part of the country. From Rupert and Burley, to Emmett, Idaho, on to Nyssa, Oregon. "I can remember well", said Julia, "My first trip out to Rupert to see the boys after they moved out there. The road was all dust and ruts, until you could hardly hold yourself in the car. It took us fully a good day and you got there all tired and duty." On December 12, 1931, their son, Nathan Owen, was killed by a falling light pole while they were trying to build an electric power line on his Brother Charles's farm in Rupert, Idaho. At that time Julia was seriously ill with a general breakdown and heart trouble. The doctors gave little hope of her life. She was, of course, unable to attend the funeral service for Owen in Rupert. After the service, he was brought to Roy for a second funeral. In Roy, the body was taken to their daughter, Mary Jones's home for the night. The next day brought to Julia's home for her to see him. The funeral was held that day in Roy and he was buried in the Roy Cemetery, by the side of his first wife. Julia and Chancy had planned to have a Golden Wedding celebration on March 6, 1934. The Roy Ward Amusement Hall had been rented, the program partly arranged, the menu planned and some friends were already invited, when Chancy became very ill. He underwent two sever operations in the Dee Hospital. He died February 5, 1934, just one month and one day before their 50th Wedding Anniversary. Chancy's Mother continued to live with Julia, even after Clancy's death because she preferred to do so, for there it seemed was the only place that she was content. Mary Field Garner spent her remaining years with Julia. They celebrated their birthdays together, having both been born on the same day of the month, February 1. Mary Field Garner died July 20, 1943 at the age of 107, five months, and 19 days. Julia was 75 years old when her Mother-in-law died. Julia always maintained her own home. She visited with her children from time to time. She would never stay away from home for long periods at a time. She visited with Annie in American Fork, Utah and May in Roy, Utah, with Laura in Wilson Lane, west of Ogden, Utah, with her sons Charles, Ray and David, in Rupert, Idaho. True in Emmett, Idaho and Dewy, Delbert, and Vern in Nyssa, Oregon. Julia told us, "At 85 years of age, my posterity are; 13 children, 10 of which are still living, 78 grandchildren, 104 great grandchildren, and five great, great grandchildren, that makes 236 descendants, 218 of which are living. "In closing my story of the memories of the few years I have lived: I am very thankful to the Lord for my family. Many times they've been healed in sickness and have been greatly blessed. I feel deeply thankful to the Lord for his blessings and for such a wonderful family as I have. They've all got faults like everybody else, but they are all good. We've never had to pay a police fine, or serve a jail sentence, no trouble of any kind to cause us to worry or fret over what they have done." While Julia was talking, Ronelda Thompson, Julia's sister Diana's daughter, came in and said, "Aunt Julia, tell us about the poems and song you used to write in those pioneer days that I've heard my Mother recite." But Julia wouldn't make any statement. Ronelda said she'd heard her Mother recite several poems that Julia wrote and she also said that the day before her Mother died, her mind seemed to go back to her childhood and she recited several of the poems that Julia had written. One of them was so exceptionally good. It was about the desert, the sand, and the sun, in those pioneer days That she had many times put words to music that they already had so as to get a variety of songs because their songs were so futile. Julia was taken to the hospital in the fall of 1953 and was there quite some time. She was very sick. She was seldom able to stay alone after this. She was visiting in Nyssa, Oregon when she became very ill and died at the home of her son Dewey on the 16th of April 1955. Funeral services were held at Nyssa, 18 April 1955. There was a large attendance because of the many friends of hers and the family living in that area. She was brought by rail, back home to Roy, Utah, where another service was held, April 20, 1955. She was buried in the Roy Cemetery, by the side of her husband and her three children that had preceded her in death.Julia and Chancy always tried to live good exemplary lives, trying to do as much good and as little harm as possible. They always taught their children to overlook little faults and shortcomings in other, and try to improve themselves, and not to be looking for something to make trouble over. It was their aim to teach their children not to hold bad feelings, but to forgive, and be in peace and unity with everyone. If anyone complained about too much work Julia would say "You should thank the Lord each day for work to do, and the strength to do it." Because the life of Chancy Garner is so intricately woven in these notees about Julia Baker Garner, I feel it is appropriate that I should include a few brief notes I have on the Garner Family. John Garner Sr. was born in Yorkshire, England. He died about 1860 at Manchester, Lancshire, England. His wife was Ann Reeder, also born in Yorkshire and died in Manchester, Lancshire, England. They were the parents of William, Thomas, Richard, an Alice. As far as we know, they never joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. William was the grandfather of Chancy. William Garner was born in the year 1806, in Yorkshire, England, and died in 1872, at Hooper Utah. He married Hannah Echersall, born at Prestwich, Lancashire, England, died about 1844 at Nauvoo, illinois. They were the parents of William Jr., Mary, Joseph, Sarah, and Nephi. Joseph and Sarah died as infants at Nauvoo and Nephi died as an infant at St. Louis, Missouri. William Garner Sr. was converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints during the year 1840, when Wilford Woodruff was laboring as a missionary in Hereforeshire, England, and did such a big missionary work by converting 800 in 8 month, 600 of which were of the church of the United Brethren. William and his wife and two children left England and came to Nauvoo at about 1841 where he ran Prophet Joseph Smith's farm and worked for Joseph Smith during the time he lived in Nauvoo. He left Nauvoo about 1848 and went to St.Louis, Missouri. He stayed in St. Louis until about 1850. He came to Salt Lake City and was sent by Brigham Young to Franklin, Idaho, to help settle that part of the country, and because he was so good at surveying with his eye. He had charge of laying out the canal to get the water onto the land. When he was in Franklin, the story is told that one day, most of the men had gone to the canyon to get wood. William Garner Sr. and the women and children were left home. They saw the Indians coming to molest the town. Some of the women had just made biscvuits and had chrned some butter, so they had buttermilk. He took the biscuits and buttermilk they had and sent the children around the town to tell the women to make more. With what he had he went out to meet the Indians. He made friends with them and fed them the biscuits and buttermilk. The Indians left without doing any damage. Some of the older settlers in Frankllin, used to say that Old Man Garner could lick more Indians with biscuits and buttermilk than most men could with guns. From Franklin, Idaho, he moved to Slaterville, Utah, and lived there for several years. He was then called to Hooper to hepl to get the water out of the Weber River and survey the site for the Hooper Canal. This canal runs from up near what is now Wilson Lane to Hooper, and is still being used today. He spent the rest of his life as a farmer in Hooper. He died in Hooper in 1872 at the age of 66 years and was buried in the Ogden City Cemetery. William Garnet Jr. was born 19 January, 1838 at Manchester, Lancashire, England. He was married to Mary Field, 1 November 1856 at Slaterville, Utah. Later on ,4 February, 1865, they received their endowments in the Salt Lake Endowment House. They were the parents of the following children: Mary Ann, William Riley, Joseph Ephraim, Chancy James, Jeston Heber, Lillian Roseman, John Elza, Charles LEdwin, Hannah Levina, and George Heber. They lived about ten years after their marriage in Slaterville and then moved to Hooper, Utah. While in Hooper, he was a counselor to Bishop Gilbert Belnap. He fulfiled a mission to England. He made his living by farming. He died 19 Macrh, 1915, at age of 76 years and was buried in Hooper, Utah Chancy James, Son of William Jr. was born 14 September 1865 in Slaterville, Utah. His parents moved to Hooper when he was about two years old. They were good friends of William Baker and his family. Chancy was a good farmer and taught their eight sons to be good farmers too. It might also be interesting to know that Chancy's mother gathered wool off the fences where the sheep had crawled through the fences and she made yarn on her spinning wheel to make stockings for her children. She knitted them herself. She also washed and bleached the flour sacks and made their best shirts for church from them. For more information on Chancy, please see the foregoing material. about it."

Life timeline of Esther C Baker (Cole)

Esther C Baker (Cole) was born on 28 Jun 1849
Esther C Baker (Cole) was 10 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Esther C Baker (Cole) was 12 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Esther C Baker (Cole) was 25 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Esther C Baker (Cole) was 32 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
Esther C Baker (Cole) was 49 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Esther C Baker (Cole) was 59 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Esther C Baker (Cole) died on 8 Mar 1915 at the age of 65
Grave record for Esther C Baker (Cole) (28 Jun 1849 - 8 Mar 1915), BillionGraves Record 567643 Hooper, Weber, Utah, United States