Ella Palmer (Heaton)

16 Jun 1895 - 2 Jun 1982

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Ella Palmer (Heaton)

16 Jun 1895 - 2 Jun 1982
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Ella Palmer (Heaton) (16 Jun 1895 - 2 Jun 1982) at Alton Cemetery in Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Ella Palmer (Heaton)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Ella Palmer (Heaton)


Alton Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Kanab, Kane, Utah
United States

Larry Bulloch

September 14, 2021


August 30, 2021


August 29, 2021

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Ella...

We found more records about Ella Palmer (Heaton).

Grave Site of Ella


Ella Palmer (Heaton) is buried in the Alton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



The Story of Moccasin, Arizona

Contributor: kdbulloch Created: 3 months ago Updated: 3 months ago

THE STORY OF MOCCASIN An Indian wandering his way over the hills, down the canyon and through the valleys, stopped at a bubbling spring, was refreshed by its clear water, and left his moccasined footprints in the soft earth. Later a white man, finding the spring with Indian moccasin footprints and a lone moccasin left by other Indians, called it Moccasin Springs. This white man, William B. Maxwell, saw the possibilities of land, feed, and water for livestock, so he took up a claim in the year 1863. Maxwell later sold his claim to a Mr. Rhodes for 80 head of sheep. This claim was located in the area known as Moccasin Springs. The area included three springs: two close together, and one a short distance away, now known as Sand Spring because of the clear sand in the spring. Mr. Rhodes, with his partner Randall Alexander, settled at Moccasin and bought more land from the Indians. They built a snug log cabin just west of the springs. Four Alexander brothers later acquired the property with the plan to raise cattle and carry on a dairying operation, but Indian trouble caused the ranch to be vacated in 1866 and the log cabin weathered away. In 1871, Levi Stewart and others purchased the Alexander claim and divided it into eight to ten shares. A company under Lewis Allen, consisting of people who had left their homes in the Muddy Mission, located temporarily at Pipe Spring and Moccasin. Lewis Allen and Willis Webb, his son-in-law, built two cabins and plowed the land. Being attracted to the United Order at Orderville, they joined, turning all of their property into the Order. Taken from Andrew Jackson Allen's journal (he was Lewis Allen's brother). June 15, 1878 – Received a letter from Lewis Allen. He tells me that he has put all of his property into the Order at Orderville to see how he likes it. Tells me it is doing first rate. They all live alike, John Covington, a member of the Order, was given charge of the Moccasin property. Vegetables, grapes, peaches, plums, pears, and melons were raised. Cane fields were planted, and barrel upon barrel of molasses was made and sent to the Order - eight thousand, six hundred gallon a year. The Canaan Cattle Company, owned by the L.D.S. Church, had purchased a one-third interest in the spring from the Winsor Stock Growing Association, who had bought it in 1870. Following President Brigham Young's advice to help rather than fight the Indians, the Order bought the Canaan interest and gave it, along with ten acres of land, to the Paiute Indians. The Indians lived in Wigwams along the foot of the hill south of Moccasin. Later, about 1910, the Government built five or six one room, rock houses for them two miles south of Moccasin and their one-third interest of the water was piped to a pond at that location. Christopher Heaton was sent to Moccasin to succeed Covington in l883. He was to be a missionary to the Indians to teach them farming. However, this did not prove too successful. Helping Chris at Moccasin were his brothers Jonathan, Alvin, Will, and Fred. At various times their families were with them. When the Order at Orderville broke up, the Moccasin Springs property, along with other property, was given to the Heaton Brothers. It had fallen into good hands, for the boys, like their father William, were natural agriculturalists - industrious, thrifty, tillers of the soil. The following information was copied from the Orderville Ward records in 1877: Sep. 11, 1883. In a meeting items were listed and among them Moccasin Farm and large pasture was valued at $2500.00, July 14, 1900 at 8 p.m. the United Order Corporation expires on that date. Moccasin Farm and large pasture valued. at $2500.00. Tools to the amount of $50.00. Teams, wagons, the harnesses $300.00. Cane mill $125.00, Pigs and chickens amounting to $50,00. 50 gallons of molasses at Moccasin was assigned to the Mt. Carmel Farm. The families, which were small in the beginning, lived in the log cabins sometimes two families to a cabin, dividing the work, cooking, taking care of the milk, butter, fields, and animals. They lived happily and harmoniously together. When the "Big House" was built by Dellie Webb and Heber Ayers, about 1875, a real home was brought into being, This lumber house was located about a quarter of a mile east of the Sand Springs, at the foot of a low sandy hill. Chris, being the oldest of the brothers, took the lead as long as he lived at Moccasin. He directed the work and the workers. He took charge of the Sunday Schools and Meetings, teaching and living his religion. The Heatons sincerely lived, to the letter, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The men were kind to their families, taught their families to pray, to work, and to obey. In 1890 Christopher B. Heaton moved to Old Mexico with his family. The evening before he and his family were to leave, their Indian neighbors came to bid them goodbye. They especially liked and respected Chris. The next morning their company pulled out. At a place to the east of Pipe Spring, called Two Mile, Chris noticed a lone figure to the rear running to catch up with them. He soon recognized Captain Frank, a special friend and Chief of the Tribe, He had missed the farewell the night before and wanted to pay his respects. It was a sad parting for the white and Indian brothers. So close was the brotherhood between Jonathan and Chris that when Chris met his death at the hands of Mexican rebels, Jonathan knew it. He was dipping sheep at the Moccasin Ranch late one fall afternoon in 1894 when suddenly he stood straight and still as if listening, "Something has happened to Chris" he exclaimed, "something has happened to my brother". It was no surprise when the word finally reached him. The brothers in Utah counseled together and it was decided that the youngest brother, Fred, would make the sad journey to Mexico to settle the affairs of Christopher and move his family back home. The time came when Jonathan and Alvin (having purchased Fred and Will's interest prior to this time) decided to divide their holdings. The Moccasin property seemed to be first choice. The property at the Green was good, but the families had not became attached to it as they had Moccasin. All of the Heatons who had ever lived at Moccasin had loved it there. It took about three days to make the division. There was never a sign of misunderstanding or disagreement. The love and unity which existed between the brothers was very apparent at this time. We do not know exactly what transpired or what their reasons were for the division they made, but I'm sure they each felt it to be equal and right, Alvin was to have Moccasin and Jonathan the Green. Jonathan prepared his teams and wagons, loaded his family and belongings, and started on his journey to Orderville. They had gone a short distance – five or six miles, when Alvin caught up with them on his horse. He and Jonathan walked a short distance from the wagons and talked for thirty or forty minutes, Returning to the wagons, Jonathan instructed the boys to turn the teams around – they would be going back to Moccasin. Daniel H. Heaton, son of Jonathan and Amy, gives the following account: Uncle Alvin realized that on account of the size of their families, it would be more appropriate for father to own Moccasin and he the Green. So being such a noble, just man he asked father to exchange properties - which was a great sacrifice on his part. Father had two good homes for his families in Orderville, so now it was necessary for him to move one family to Moccasin. Aunt Lucy's family was taken to Moccasin and my mother, Amy, remained in Orderville. In 1898, the two families exchanged places for awhile. In 1901, Jonathan moved his first wife, Amy, to what is now Alton, Utah. Lucy, his second wife and her children, were permanently established at Moccasin. Taken from "Memories of Lucy H. Esplin". Lucy is the daughter of Jonathan and Lucy: When father and Alvin dissolved their partnership and divided the property, Alvin received Fiddler's Green(the Green just below Orderville) and Father, Moccasin. Father and his sons worked together and the two wives took turns moving from Moccasin to Orderville as their babies arrived with alternate regularity. Around the year 1900, father and his sons purchased the Segmiller ranch, which was in a canyon about thirty miles northeast of Kanab. It was called "Upper Kanab" at that time, although it later became known as the "Wild Rose Ranch" because of the wild roses that grew along fences, creek beds, and banks. Grandma Amy or Aunt Amy, as we called her, moved to the Wild Rose Ranch. Mother or Aunt Lucy, as everyone called her, stayed at Moccasin, The two homes in Orderville were sold. In 1904, the second lumber house was built one half mile north of the "Big House" for Jonathan's hired man, Ras Allen. Eleven children were born to Jonathan and Lucy, six of whom were sons: Charles, Fred, Christopher, Edward, Sterling, and Gilbert. Having the United Order of Orderville still bright in their minds, Jonathan and his sons formed a cooperation, using the title "Heaton and Sons". They bought a herd of cattle from A.D. Findlay, with the headquarters at Pipe Springs. The son's families were increasing rapidly and Jonathan was soon to realize it would be better for each son to have his own home, farmland, and property. In 1911-12, the Moccasin Ranch was divided and fenced into six small farms. The daughters, Lucy, Keziah, Ella, and Amy, married and moved to live elsewhere. The eldest daughter, Esther, remained at Moccasin and was given land and a home site by her father. The water from the Sand Spring was piped to a community tank by the schoolhouse, and then to the homes starting 1909. This project made Moccasin "first" in the Kanab Stake to have running water in every home. It was also used for lawns, flowers, shrubbery and sprinklers. Small fruits such as currants, blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries, and strawberries grew well. Moccasin was organized into a regular Church branch of the Kanab Ward, December 4, 1910, with Charles Heaton as Presiding Elder, until 1913 when he was called on a mission and his younger brother, Fred, was chosen to head the Branch. In 1926, the Branch was made independent with Fred Heaton presiding, Christopher and Charles Leonard Heaton as assistants, with Edward Heaton as clerk. The Relief Society was organized in 1930 with Margaret C. Heaton as President, Lucy Heaton and Esther Johnson as counselors, and LaVerna I. Heaton as Secretary, Family Thanksgiving dinners have been held each year since 1902. The first was held under the trees at the Big house and later at the school house. In 1946, a Church was built and the Thanksgiving dinners were held there. In 1902, a big bell was put up on the old granary and storage room that stood close to the Big House. The bell called the workman from the fields and the community members to Thanksgiving dinners, programs, school and Church. The post office came in 1909 with Charles C. Heaton as postmaster. The office was located in his home. Mail service, for several years before, was carried from Kanab to Rockville, Utah by way of Moccasin, Canebeds, and Short Creek. Horseback was the mode of travel for the mail for a long time, then came the horse and buggy, the old jalopy, and finally the dependable truck, The telephone service came in 1906 when the old telegraph line, which was completed in 1871 and ran from Kanab to Rockville, was hooked on to. The telephone was put in Lucy's home and later moved to the Charles Heaton home. The old telegraph line, which ran from Kanab to Pipe Springs, was changed to a telephone line, by E.W. Wooley, in 1886. An automatic electric plant was installed in 1928, and Moccasin had electric lights. One street light was put up. This made Moccasin the first community in this part of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona to have a street light. Another larger plant was bought later and used for years. When it went out, the people were back in the 'old days' so to speak. The electric power line came in 1961. One fall day in 1940 when the fields and fruit trees were at their best ready for harvest, a copper colored cloud appeared over the west canyon. This built up quickly and covered the skies. Soon lightning came and thunder could be heard. Then the storm broke - and such a storm! It was a real cloudburst with hail, loud cracking thunder, and lightning. It lasted for one half hour to an hour, What a relief when it stopped. The relief did not last long however, for from the canyon came a roaring flood, taking everything in its path - trees, animals, fields, fences – everything! When it was over, there were no fields or trees to be harvested. Instead a terrible wreckage - fields covered with sand, rocks and debris. Fences were gone, trees uprooted, outbuildings and sheds gone. The next year another storm came, but not so big. It was realized that something had to be done, so Charles Heaton hired a tractor and commenced digging a wash. Through the years, the wash grew deep and wide enough to carry the flood water. When the new highway was built into Moccasin, a big concrete tunnel was made to carry the water under the road. It was not large enough, During the summer of 1971, a flood backed up and ran over the fields again, filling the basements of two new homes belonging to C. Leonard Heaton and his son, Leonard. Many hands soon had the basements cleaned and yards and fields cleared. A cemetery spot was chosen north and a little west of the hill where the Big House stood. All the families came to the dedication and to plant trees at the site. No one died, and as the years passed, the floods came and the sand grew deeper. This cemetery plot was finally abandoned. Death came to Moccasin, May 22, 1922 when Christopher's wife, Elnora, died. She was buried in the Kanab Cemetery. Others died and were buried in the cemeteries at Orderville and Kanab. It was again decided to have a cemetery at Moccasin. A place north of the new chapel was chosen and dedicated in 19 . At the turn of the century, Jonathan's son, Will, and his young wife had planted a long row of poplar trees along the land running east and west. The trees grew tall and sturdy, furnishing a lot of shade -- a lovely landmark for the weary traveler headed toward Moccasin. These trees grew for 70 years, then were removed in 1970 to make room for the new paved highway. In the beginning, school was held in the homes. The first teachers were William Heaton, Persis B.Spencer, and Kezia Carroll Esplin, who all taught without pay. They held their classes in the "Big House". The first paid teacher was Ella Flagg who came in 1905 and held classes in the Charles Heaton home. She was followed by Laverna Isom. Laverna taught for four years. A one-room school house was completed and occupied in 1907. Mohave County furnished funds for the cost of the materials and the Heaton men donated the labor. The lumber came from John Brown's sawmill at Jacob Lake on the Kaibab Mountain. About 1947, the school house at the Kaibab Village burned down and the Indian Children came to Moccasin to attend school. At this time, another room was added to the one-room school and an additional teacher hired. During the summer of 1973, a beautiful, modern little elementary school replaced the old school building. Kindergarten through third grade classes are held there, while children attending fourth through twelfth grades are bussed to Fredonia.

Life timeline of Ella Palmer (Heaton)

Ella Palmer (Heaton) was born on 16 Jun 1895
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 10 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 17 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 34 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 35 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 45 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 58 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 69 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) was 82 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Ella Palmer (Heaton) died on 2 Jun 1982 at the age of 87
Grave record for Ella Palmer (Heaton) (16 Jun 1895 - 2 Jun 1982), BillionGraves Record 45210692 Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States