Elizabeth Menerey

10 Sep 1815 - 2 Dec 1886


Elizabeth Menerey

10 Sep 1815 - 2 Dec 1886
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Elizabeth Menerey (10 Sep 1815 - 2 Dec 1886) at Salt Lake City Cemetery in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Elizabeth Menerey
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Elizabeth Menerey


Salt Lake City Cemetery

200-250 N St
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
United States


September 23, 2013


September 18, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Elizabeth...

We found more records about Elizabeth Menerey.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Elizabeth


Elizabeth Menerey is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Elizabeth Meneary Scott-Pioneer Women of Faith & Fortitude

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

ELIZABETH MENEARY SCOTT BIRTH DATE: 10 September 1815 - Dublin, Ireland DEATH: 24 December 1886 - Mill Creek, Salt Lake, Utah PARENTS: William Meneary and Catherine McMillan PIONEER: 24 September 1848 - Heber C. Kimball Wagon Train SPOUSE: John Scott MARRIED: 15 April 1836 - Trafalgar, Ontario, Canada DEATH SP: 12 December 1876 - Millville, Cache, Utah CHILDREN: Isaac, 15 February 1837 Matilda, 6 September 1838 Louisa, 20 March 1840 Ephraim, 6 June 1842 John William, 6 November 1844 Elizabeth, 15 March 1847 Heber Moroni, 1 November 1849 Sarah Catherine, 4 July 1852 Josiah, 20 August 1854 Alfonzo, 28 January 1859 Alvina Elizabeth, 28 January 1859 Elizabeth was one of nine children. The family came to Canada between 1819 and 1822. She married and her first son was born in Canada. They joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1836 and the next year they made arrangements to move with the Saints to Far West, Missouri. They passed through great hardships and persecutions at that time and moved in 1840 to Nauvoo, Illinois. During the dark days of the years in Nauvoo and the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph, she was a supportive wife and mother. By March, 1848, the Saints were ready to leave Nauvoo by crossing the river on the ice with their wagons, teams, belongings and families. Elizabeth and John had five children and a sixth child was born at Winter Quarters. Finally on March 30, 1848, John Scott and his families were ready to make the journey west. Elizabeth had a wagon for her family and Mary and Sarah (second and third wives) shared a wagon. After many trials and some encounters with the Indians they arrived in the Salt Lake Valley and traveled on City Creek. They lived in their wagons until May 22, 1849, when a new home had been built for the wives and families. Here they had six more children. Elizabeth was a kind and loving wife, mother and friend to all who knew her. Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Volume 3, Page 2707

Elizabeth Meneary

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

Elizabeth Meneary was born on September 10, 1815 in Dublin, Ireland to William Wallace Meneary and Catharine McMillan. She was one of nine children. Her father fought in Holland under the Earl of Chatham. After spending a year or two in Ireland, he went to Spain for three years under Millington. He fought at Waterloo where a Masonic Lodge Certificate, which he carried in a metal case, saved him from a serious wound, perhaps saving his life. For his war record he was given a tract of land in Canada. The land received was 140 miles from Toronto and he traded it for land near his home so he could farm it. The family (including Elizabeth) left Dublin, Ireland and came to Canada around 1820. Elizabeth married John Scott on April 15, 1836 in the Scott home, called “Ebinezer Hall”, in Trafalgar, Ontario, Canada. While living in Canada, Isaac, their oldest son, was born. Elizabeth and John joined the Mormon Church on May 6, 1836. All of John Scott’s family moved to Missouri on June 7, 1838. They arrived in Far West, Missouri on September 2, 1838. Missourians persecuted Saints living there to the point they had to leave, and they moved to Illinois in May of 1840. When the Quorum of Seventies were first organized in Nauvoo, John was ordained a Seventy and became President of the Tenth Quorum of Seventies. John served a mission as one of the Seventies. He and Elizabeth accepted the doctrine of plural marriage and she gave her consent for him to marry Mary Pugh and Sarah Ann Willis. In Nauvoo Elizabeth’s brother, William Henry, came to visit her. William Henry married in Nauvoo and lived in Iowa until his death. Upon his death, his wife, Sophia Adeline Packard Meneary, took her three sons and moved to Springfield, Utah. She worked in a drug store as she had done before coming to Canada before 1820. Elizabeth was a very supportive wife and mother during the dark years surrounding the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph. John and his family were very close to the Prophet, he serving as one of Joseph’s bodyguards. Elizabeth and her family were all present at the conference when Brigham Young took on the appearance and voice of Joseph Smith. They testified of the prophetic authority being placed upon Brigham’s head. John and Elizabeth packed their belongings into a wagon with their five children and crossed the frozen Mississippi River in March 1846. John’s two other wives were in company with the family. Mary, his second wife, was expecting her first child at the time. All three of John’s wives had children on their trek between Nauvoo and the Salt Lake Valley. John and Elizabeth moved their family to Winter Quarters (Florence, Nebraska) where they lived one year at the request of the prophet, helping the Saints who were coming across the plains. In the spring they pioneered to Salt Lake Valley, arriving on September 24, 1848. They built their family home in Millcreek, Utah. Elizabeth was known as “Mother” by the entire family of wives and 36 children. She was in every deed a second mother. When the children were young, every family member would meet together in one large room in her part of the home for the evening prayers. Here John would have them sing a hymn and then they would have the family prayer. The children were loving and kind to one another. The family was united in every way. Elizabeth and John had twelve children (including two sets of twins.) (A photocopy of the original Masonic Lodge Certificate of William Meneary is found in the family history book kept by Joyce Scott Roundy) Some of this information regarding the Meneary family was received by Louisa Medelina Smithies Romrell from Dr. Albert Meneary of Santa Rosa, California July 18, 1934. Compiled by Cassie Roundy, 1997

John Scott

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

LIFE AND EXPERIENCE OF JOHN SCOTT By his daughter Sarah M. Scott Walker John Scott, the son of Jacob Scott and Sarah Warnock, was born the 6th day of May 1811 in Armagh, Ireland. He emigrated from Ireland to Canada with his parents, brothers and sisters, leaving Ireland the 5th of April 1819. They landed in Quebec, Canada, some time in May. From there they moved to Toronto, from there to Markham County. His father taught school there one year. He was paid by the British government. The following year they moved to Trafalgar on one hundred acres of land given them by the Government. This was given to all British subjects and actual settlers. They resided in Trafalgar nearly eighteen years. His father built a nice home in Trafalgar and named it Ebenezer Hall. He also made other large improvements. On April 15, 1836, John Scott and Elizabeth Menary were married in his father's home (Ebenezer Hall). Elizabeth Menary was born in Dublin, Ireland, September 10, 1815. While living in Canada their oldest son was born and named Isaac. Elder Russel, one of Canada's pioneer missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, came to Churchville, a village three miles from where they lived and held meetings. Jacob Scott embraced the gospel and after this his entire family came into the church, Ann, Jane, Mary, John, Isaac F., Sarah, Jacob, and Robert T. Scott. John Scott was baptized on May 6, 1836, at Churchville, Canada by Isaac Russell. His wife Elizabeth was baptized the same day. The next year John Scott and wife and son, and his father's entire family made arrangements to move with the Saints to Farr West, Missouri. Jacob Scott sold him home to William Cauthria. They left Canada on June 7, 1838, and arrived in Farr West, Missouri on September 2, 1828, passing through great hardships and persecutions with the saints at that time. They left Farr West, Missouri, May 18, 1840, locating in Nauvoo, Illinois. John Scott was ordained a Seventy and became president of the tenth quorum of seventies, when they were first organized at Nauvoo. He accepted the doctrine and revelation on celestial and plural marriage and while living in Nauvoo took for his plural wives Mary Pugh, February 3, 1845 and Sarah Ann Willis, March 24, 1846. Mary Pugh was born November 10, 1822. in England. Sarah was born February 4, 1825, in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. John Scott obeyed this principle as it was revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith. While living in Nauvoo, his father, mother, and brother Jacob all died and were buried in the Nauvoo cemetery. They all died faithful members of the church. Jacob Scott just before he died, called his family around him and bore a strong testimony to the truthfulness of the gospel. John Scott was chosen one of the Prophet Joseph Smith's bodyguards, which position he held until the prophet's martyrdom. He very often related his experiences with the Prophet to family and told how he loved the Prophet and would have went through even death for him. He also held the position of Colonel in the first Regiment, 2 Cohort of the Nauvoo Legion. In the spring of 1844 a very bitter and strong feeling was aroused against the Prophet among many of his brethren in the around Nauvoo, and some who held high positions in the church, and were supposed to be the Prophets best friends, turned against him. They sought by various means to do him injury. Some sought to even take his life. They were continually plotting to take his life. At length this wicked feeling became so strong among a certain class, that they resolved to form an organization or combination that would enable them to accomplish their wicked purpose. Concerning some of the secret meetings of this society of traitors and their designs against the Prophet, we have a detailed account given by Denison T. Harris and Robert Scott, brother of John, who were young men at this time. They had both been invited to a secret meeting, by Austin Cowles and Wm. Law. They had been told something about the general purposes and warned not to breath a word concerning it to a soul, except Harris's father who might come if he wished. The older Harris, after being told by his son, decided to tell the Prophet and ask his advice. Joseph told him not to go himself but to let his son go. The first meeting was held a William Law's house on a Sabbath afternoon. There were many present. The time was spent in denouncing the fallen Prophet, and urging the necessity of organizing. A meeting was called for the following Sunday. The boys reported to Joseph what they had seen and heard, and were requested by him to attend again. The second meeting was similar to the first. The boys reported to the Prophet, and were requested to attend the third meeting. This time, however, the Prophet had considerable apprehensions concerning the young men's safety; but he said he hardly thought their blood would be shed, though under no considerations were they to take any of their oaths. So they went, feeling that they might never return alive. The door was guarded by armed men. They were however admitted. Organization was effected. Francis Higbee, a justice of the peace, sat at the head of the table administering the oath to each person as they came up, which was bloodcurdling. They had to swear to do all in their power for the destruction of Joseph Smith and his party. Among the number were three women, heavily veiled, one of them was weeping. When everyone else had sworn and signed, the boys were approached and asked to do the same. They were coaxed amid general attention. They quietly but firmly refused. Then they were threatened; but still they would not be sworn. You know too much now, was the general cry and you must join or die. But they were firm. Knives were drawn and guns cocked and men rushed upon them from all parts of the room which they occupied. But they were protected by calmer feelings of some of the leaders. It was suggested that the room where they were at that time, was an improper place to commit such a deed; the attention of some passerby might be attracted. So they started for the cellar. On their way, however, someone suggested the possibility of their being discovered. For the boys parent's knew where they were. This turned the tide, and the young men were dismissed, after being warned that if they every divulged what they had heard they would be killed. On approaching the bank of the river, they discovered that the Prophet and Robert Scott's brother John Scott were hidden there. William Law's house was only a short distance from the river. The boys had guards sent with them almost to the river, and the guards placed a strict injunction upon the boys never to reveal anything they had seen or heard at these meetings and declared if they did any number of the conspiracy would kill them at first sight. It was a joyful meeting. Joseph seemed delighted to see that the boys had escaped with their lives. The party walked on to a point nearly opposite Joseph's store, where a board fence came down to the edge of the river, forming together with the orchard, trees, and shrubbery a suitable retreat where they could converse, without any danger of being seen or heard. "Let us sit down here", said the Prophet Joseph. All four of them entered the secluded retreat and when they were seated he continued, "Boys, we saw your danger and were afraid you would not get out alive, but we are thankful that you did get away safely and now relate to me all that you witnessed." The boys then gave them a complete account of all they had seen and passed through, repeated to them the oath they had seen administered to some two hundred individuals separately, and gave him the names of all they knew who had taken part or who had taken the oath. Joseph and his companion, John, listened very attentively and as the boys proceeded, a very grave expression crept over the countenance of the former, showing that a deep anxiety was preying upon his mind. When the recital was finished, a pause of some length ensued. Joseph was much moved and burst out "Oh, brethren, you do not know what this will terminate in." But he proceeded no further for his feeling were so strong that he burst into tears. In great agitation, brother John Scott, who was an intimate and trusted friend of Joseph's, sprang forward, throwing his arms around the prophet's neck exclaimed, "Oh, brother Joseph, do you think they are going to kill you?" Then they fell on each other's necks and wept bitterly. Joseph evaded a direct reply but continued in a tone that told too plainly of the sorrow he felt. "I am going away, and will not be known among this people for twenty years or more. I shall go to rest for a season perhaps. In reply to Brother John Scott's question, the Prophet was revolving plans in his mind and looking forward to the time when he and the Saints would be beyond the reach of persecution and could seek shelter behind the barriers of the Rocky Mountains. After this he called a company of volunteers to explore the great west and find a suitable place for the Saints to settle. Some of his brethren begged him not to desert the people in such a time of trouble and danger and at their importunity he returned to Nauvoo, after he had started across the river. We all know the result. The persecutions of the Saints became so bitter that finally in the year 1844, the Prophet and his brother Hyrum, were induced to surrender themselves to the officers of the law and were cast into prison. Here they remained until later. At the Carthage jail on the 27th of June 1844 at about 5 o'clock p.m. a bloodthirsty mob came and shot the Prophet through and upstairs window and killed Hyrum also. The persecutions of the Saints still continued until they were compelled to leave their homes and to try and find refuge west of the Rocky mountains. They were led by Brigham Young, successor to the Prophet Joseph Smith. Brother John Scott and his three wives, Elizabeth, Mary and Sarah, all bore testimonies of the Transfiguration of President Brigham Young after the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum. They were in attendance at the meeting held August 8, 1844. President Brigham Young addressed the congregation speaking with great power and the people were thoroughly convinced that the authority and power of the Presidency was with the apostles. When he first arose to speak, the people were greatly astonished for President Young stood transfigured before them and they beheld the Prophet Joseph Smith and heard his voice as natural, it sounded to them as when he was living. It was a manifestation to the Saints that they might recognize the correct authority. This is the testimony, which John Scott and his three wives bore time and time again to their children. John and Elizabeth, by this time had several small children, a daughter named Matilda, was born at Farr West, Missouri, September 6, 1838. Louisa, Marsh 20, 1840, at Bloomfield, Illinois. Ephram was born June 6, 1842, John W. was born November 6, 1844. This is an extract from the Life of Heber C. Kimball, explaining the exodus from Nauvoo: Some of the advanced companies left Nauvoo about February 17, 1846, evacuation of Nauvoo had begun in earnest. An exile nation going forth like Israel from Egypt into the wilderness, there to worship God in their own appointed way. On the 18th of February 1846, the companies were being organized and made ready to start to the Rocky Mountains. All together they comprised about four hundred wagons, all heavily loaded with not over half the number of teams necessary for a rapid journey. Most of the families were supplied with provisions for several months. Colonel Stephen Markham and about one hundred Pioneers to prepare the road in advance of the main body. Colonel John Scott with a hundred men and artillery and Colonel Hosea Stout with about one hundred men acted a police guards armed with rifles. On the morning of March 1st, they were notified to be ready to start at noon. It was a faithful and a pure people that journeyed westward to find another promised land. They reached the Missouri River about the middle of June and received a friendly welcome from the Pottawattamie Indians and the Omaha Indians. While here word was brought to headquarters that a United States Army officer with a squad of soldiers had arrived at Mt. Pisgah with a request for five hundred men to be furnished by the Mormons to enter the army and to march to California to take part in the war against Mexico. It was their country's call and although every man was needed for a bulwark of defense still they must respond. Even the women had been tending stock and driving teams owing to the limited number of men available. Should they part with the few men they had? What must be done? On the first of July, Captain James Allen, the recruiting officer went in council with President Brigham Young and others. They resolved to raise the number of troops that had been called for. President Young went to Mt. Pisgah a distance of one hundred and thirty miles and in three days he returned and reported the force mustered, organized and ready to march. The Mormon Battalion started out for the West about the middle of July. William H. Walker and his brother Edwin Walker being numbered among them. They left their friends, relatives, telling their wives to go on to the Rocky Mountains with the Saints. In the sorrow of parting they said if their lives were preserved they would return to them out in the West where the Saints were going to make their future homes. The project of the Pioneers going to the Rocky Mountains that season was now abandoned, and the Camp of Israel prepared to go to winter quarters. This was the name given to their winter settlement on the Missouri River, five miles above Omaha. Today it is known as Florence, Nebraska. It was fortified with breast works, stockade and block houses, after the fashion of the frontier. Such was their winter home. On January 14, 1847, agreeable to instructions, the Saints began to prepare for their journey to the mountains. Early in April the pioneers started from Winter Quarters, numbering one hundred and forty-eight souls including three women and three children. President Brigham Young, leaving Elders Pratt and Taylor in charge and Elder Orson Hyde, he requested Colonel John Scott to take this for a mission and to remain until the following year to assist in helping see that the companies of pioneers were properly equipped for traveling across the plains for they were going the following year. He did this and also went on a mission among non-members of the church and collected old clothing to help fit the Saints for traveling. While doing this he also was the means of converting three souls to the gospel. Brother John and Edward Morgan and their mother. They came to Utah later. Edward Morgan married his daughters Louisa and Sophia. While living in Winter Quarters his wife Elizabeth gave birth to a daughter which they named Elisabeth, born March 15, 1847. Mary his other wife had a son born at Council Bluffs, Iowa, July 15, 1846, which they named Hyrum, and Sarah had a son born at Winter Quarters, Nebraska on April 16, 1847 named Joseph Lemuel. This year John Scott received the following orders from President Young: Lieutenant Colonel John Scott, You are hereby commanded to immediately put in perfect order the cannon, equipment, carriages and appendages belonging thereto, that are under your command. Whereof fail not and make return of this order with your doings therein. Head Waters Winter Quarters 19 February 1847 Brigham Young (Lieut. General of the Legion) P.S. You are also authorized to call on any or all of the commanding officers to assist you in the repairs. B.Y. A.P. Rockwood A de Camp In the summer or spring of 1848 his company started across the plains, his families accompanying him with their small children. Mary and Sarah Ann taking charge on one wagon and mule team. They taking turns driving. They passed through many hardships on their journey at one time being entirely surrounded by hostile Indians. It looked like a battle with the Indians that could not be avoided. When all at once a man among the Indians came to the front and called John Scott. He proved to be a white man that the Indians had taken prisoner at one time and had remained among them and seemed to have a great influence with the Indians and the trouble was stopped by him. John Scott had known him in Canada having attended the same school as he. They went on unmolested and praising the Lord for their deliverance. They landed in Salt Lake Valley the same year. The following year some of the settlers were having trouble with the Indians, although President Young believed in treating the Indians kindly. President Brigham Young then called Col. John Scott to organize a company to go fight the Indians on February 29,1849. The company was organized complete by order of Brigham Young although Brother Scott firmly believed the Indians could and should be won over by good treatment and kindness and thought it ever better to feed Indians than to fight them. He was always a good friend to the Indians, receiving them into his house many time to talk to them, advising them and preaching to them. But he obeyed council and started with his company for Utah Valley. The following is a copy of his experiences as reported by On the 29 February 1849, the company was organized complete and started for Utah Valley. (This company was called on the 28, organized on the 29 and left Salt Lake City the afternoon of the 29.) They arrived about 2 hours before sundown (say nine o'clock) provisions at the time were very scarce in the territory, and they had but little food. They were obliged to purchase beef which costs $45.00. On the first of March they cut up the beef, packed it on the mules, and broke up came, about 9 A.M. About 11 A.M. we arrived at the pass in the Wasatch range which forms the divide between Great Salt Lake and Utah County. At that time there was only a dangerous Indian trail over the pass and the company were hour hours getting over, leading their animals. However four of the pack mules with the meat missed their footing and rolled down the precipice about 300 feet, the mules received no very serious injuries. They camped the evening of March 1st at American Fork at 9;30. P.S. This night there was a very severe snow storm with a strong piercing wind. Nine of the company had their ears and face frozen. The entire company Ws kept up nearly all night by the continual alarms of attack by the Indians. Their camps were seen in various places all night. Twenty took up the line of march about 9 a.m. and reconnoitered the bottom lands in the tall grass and cane brakes but found no Indians. They camped on Provo Bottom about twelve miles from American Fork but had traveled at least 50 miles. Just as they were about to camp they saw some Indians approaching. They came and had a talk with Divnick B. Huntington and Barney Ward, the two interpreters we had with us, and then returned to little Chiefs encampment. We remounted and proceeded to the Indian camp about one half a mile distance, and then found Little Chief and his entire band. He ordered his squaws and children to take to the brush and prepare for action. After some difficulty, the interpreter was able to talk with him and assured him that we were friends to all peaceable Indians. Upon this the pipe of peace was passed around, and a council of war was held. Little Chief and several of his warriors were present. In that council we required that his that his two sons should accompany us as hostages of his integrity to all which he agreed with very great reluctance. On the third of March about midnight we took up the line of march and forded the Provo River near the mouth of the canyon, a very dangerous stream. Then rode to within a mile of what is now called Battle Creek. The company was here divided into four platoons, and ordered to place themselves in suitable location on the four sides of the Indian camp. They could see their dim camp fires, visible in the distance. Here we watched for daylight. As the day broke the Indians discovered us and took to the thickets, and fired upon us, as long as they had any ammunition. We then through the interpreter, begged of them to cease their hostilities, and to make friends, but they utterly refused and used very endeavor to escape to the mountains. As soon as they refused all offers of peace, the order for an attack was given. The following battle lasted two hours. The Indians were upon a small island covered with dense scrub cottonwood, and willows in Battle Creek Canyon, and we were obliged to attack them from the heights in a most exposed situation. Many of the men received numbers of Indian arrows in their clothing. One man had 13 arrows sticking through his clothes after the defeat of the Indians. We had at last an opportunity to attack them hand to hand in the brush before they would be routed out. The Indians left four of their warriors dead on the field. How many more were killed or wounded we cannot learn. The battle being ended, we returned to our camp, one mile from Battle Creek. We should here state that during the action a very splendid blooded mare belonging to Indson L. Stoddard broke away from his saddled and bridled, and ran into the mountains and was never hear of afterward or recovered. About 10 a.m. we took up the line of march for Great Salt Lake, and camped at Orris her ground on Willow Creek about 10 p.m. The fourth of March we arrived at Salt Lake City, about 2 p.m. and after making a report of the expedition the general of the company was dismissed. There were four commissioned officers, and 6 non-commissioned officers, and forty privates. General John Scott and Curtis E. Bolton W.H.W. After his arrival in Salt Lake Valley he was transferred from the tenth quorum of seventies to be Senior president of the 61st Quorum of Seventies. He located on 160 acres of land on the Mill Creek. Through his influence and help a school house was built. He saw the great necessity of sending the children of the latter Day Saints to school. This school was called the Scott school and his wife Mary taught school in this house. She had received her education in England. On Friday the 6th of April 1855, he received a call to go on a mission to Great Britain. He obeyed the call, and left his home and family and loved ones to face the hardships of building up a new country and of enduring the suffering and famine. During the summer the grasshoppers did serious damage to crops destroying nearly everything green in many parts of Utah. His family having to weigh or measure out the flour according to the number of children, and this was done every week. Sometimes they had to go out and gather roots and sego lilies to help with the living. He went and filled his mission until he received an honorable release. His missionary work was done in England and Ireland. He was called to be president of the Irish conference and labored in the city of Dublin, Belfast and many places in Ireland. On January 2nd he had delivered over ten thousand tracts in Ireland alone. He labored first in London, England on July 8, 1856, he left Liverpool for Dublin Ireland. While on this mission, he was with E.T. Benson, Orson Pratt for six weeks, Ja. Ryon, John Kay, Wm. Miner, D.D. Rays, Miles Rambey, Thomas Bullock. Most of the time that he was in England he spent with E.T. Benson. While he was in North Wales he was with John Ray. While in Ireland he met Brother J.D. McAlster. The following is an experience he passed through while laboring in Ireland: He and his companion were eating dinner at a certain house when he became suddenly suspicious because the lady of the house kept insisting on their eating more potatoes. Because she insisted on their eating more he refused the second time, but his companion did not notice this and he ate quite heartily of the potatoes. After leaving the house they were walking through the woods and he and his companion became violently sick, so much that they had to stop and pray and he not being so sick as his companion was healed and also himself. It was thoroughly apparent to them both that poison had been put into the potatoes. At the time this happened, John W. Scott, his son, a very small boy who was living at Mill Creek, Utah, was sitting by the creek under a tree and he saw all that which I have just related concerning his father and his companion. He came into the house and related what he saw in the vision and how this woman had administered poison to them, while pretending to be their friend. And the very next letter that came to the family related the circumstances just as the boy had told it to his family. This was a great testimony to the family of the goodness of God to his children and this helped them to endure trials and tribulations, which they had to pass through. A verse which he sent to Sarah A. Scott while in Ireland on his mission: The Wish Be thy coming years, my friend, Gilded by the sun of joy, May no darksome cloud descent, Life's fair prospects to destroy. O'er the circling social scene May no blighting sorrows fall; Be but in the distance seen Storms of woe, which threaten all. Choicest stores of earthly good Still around thy dwelling rest, And the love of Israel's God Ever make they spirit blest. Just a short wile before he departed from this life, John W. Scott related this circumstances and testified to the truthfulness of this testimony. To members of the family, Lucy J. Scott Park and Hanah M. Scott Morgan. He said that he really saw this in a vision. While John Scott was still on his mission his wife Sarah A. had a son born 28th of December 1855 which she named William Rueben. When President Brigham Young received word that Johnstons army was on the road to the valley he sent John Scott this release from his mission and also the other missionaries. They were all asked to return as speedily as possible. He arrived in Salt Lake City on 19th of January 1858. The following is a proclamation from Governor Young, Lieutenant General Daniel H. Wells of the Nauvoo Legion established headquarters at the Narrows in Echo Canyon, a defile and rugged and steep where a few men could hold an army to this point about twelve hundred and fifty men from several companies of Militia. They were ordered to report and maintain the pass by force of arms against any attempted invasion. Isaac and Ephriam Scott, being the oldest sons were called into service. This took the family's main help and protection away from them while their father was on his mission. The family had to move to Provo with the Saints. While John Scott was on his mission he gathered genealogy of his ancestors in Ireland, thinking to do their work in the Temple for their salvation. He had the misfortune to lose his traveling bag. It was either lost or taken by mistake and he thus lost the records of his people which he was never able to get again. Shortly after his return from his mission he married Esther Yeates for his fourth wife. He was married by President Young 1860. Sometime after this he moved his last two wives to Millville, Utah, where he resided most of the time until the summer of 1876. Then on account of the illness of his first wife Elizabeth, he came back to Mill Creek, his first home. In December 1876 he went back to Millville to visit his family there and while there he contracted a severe cold, which developed into pneumonia. In less than a week he departed from this life, this being on the 16th day of December 1876. He bore a faithful testimony to the truthfulness of the Gospel to those of his family that were at his bedside. He died in full fellowship in the church. His funeral was held in the Mill Creek ward, his old home and he was buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery. Those who spoke at his funeral were President John Taylor, George Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith. All spoke of his sterling qualities and noble character and also of the good things he had accomplished in the church and the community where he had lived. They told of his ever being ready at all times to obey the counsel of those in authority. Brother John Scott was a man of great faith. In the early settlement of Utah people would send for miles to get him to go and administer to the sick. He was loved by his brethren and sisters for his pleasant and cheerful ways. He was always ready to give cheer and comfort to those in distress. His life was a blessing to his family and to his friends. His entire life was devoted to the church, always when opportunity came, he was ready and did testify that he knew that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God. He had five wives, all splendid and honorable women. They lived the lives of good Latter Day Saints and they were faithful. Their examples could well be followed by their children. Elizabeth, the first wife was always called Mother by the entire family and she was in every deed a second mother. When the children were young every member of the families would meet together in one large room in her part of the house for the evening prayers. Here John would have his families sing a hymn and then they would have the family prayer. After this was done they would all go to their own homes and perhaps the smaller ones would play awhile before retiring, while the older ones would spend the evening in various ways, some sewing, some knitting, and some reading. Four of his wives have followed him into the Great Beyond. Their deaths are as follows: Elizabeth, Dec. 24, 1886; Mary, January 5, 1905; Sarah Ann, 30 October, 1890; Esther, 21 April, 1920. The first three wives were buried in the Salt Lake Cemetery and Esther Scott was buried in Millville, Cache County, Utah. John Scott was the only member of father's family that came West with the Latter-Day Saints, the rest remained in the East. His father had five brothers and four sisters. James came to Canada and lived and died there. . Some went to Manchester, England, and one came to the United States, the father of General Winfield Scott. After the war with Mexico, General Winfield Scott sent his sword to his cousin John Scott. When John Scott died, it was given to his oldest son, Isaac Scott, who in turn gave it to Alonzo Scott, his youngest brother. It is now in the possession of Ephram Scott's son James Scott, who is living in Annis, Idaho. This record would not be complete without mentioning an incident in the life of Joseph L. Scott, son of Sarah Ann. While a baby he became very sick, his life hanging on a thread as it were. All were watching and waiting for the end to come, when all at once President Heber C. Kimball came into the house and walking over to where he was in his mother's arms and he laid his hands upon the child and blest hem, telling him that he would recover and that the time would come when he would stand at the head of his father's family in doing the temple work for the salvation of the dead. He recovered rapidly and in after years, when the temple work was started for the dead he was the oldest living son of John Scott, and was told by President Lund that he should put his name on record as the recognized heir of the Scott family, this bringing to pass the blessing pronounced on his head by President Heber C. Kimball. It is necessary to have an heir to the work, but not meaning that the heir is honored anymore than the rest of the family that do the work for the dead. This is just a means of identifying this work from other Scott families that may be doing temple work for their dead ancestors. Several members of the family have received wonderful testimonies of the truthfulness of the Gospel. On the tenth of October 1869, Rebecca A. Scott, who was on a visit to Visalia, California, at her grandparents Benjamin and Hannah Willis's home, wrote home to her mother Sarah Ann and said: "Dear mother, Please tell father I have seen a vision. I saw the prettiest place in all the world--the Lakes of Killarney in Ireland." I know that he will be pleased to hear this. Rebecca died shortly after returning home from California on the 25th of August 1870 at Mill Creek, Utah. In speaking of her vision, we have all heard no doubt of the Lake of Killarney, the stories of their rare beauty are not exaggerated. Erin abounds in ruins, both ancient and modern. Where the River Shannon flows there are many beautiful scenes and views along the banks of his historic stream. Ireland is noted for its remarkable scenery. Hyrum Scott had a wonderful testimony that the spirit lives after death. He related it many times over and over again to his family just before he died. The following is a testimony of Joseph Scott. He and Hannah had been baptized for all the names of their mother's people they could find. A few days after this as he was sitting eating his dinner a short way from the other men. He had been working on a water ditch when a man came to him and asked him why he was not baptized for him too. Joseph then asked him what his name was but he disappeared before telling him. On the following day at the same time he came again and said; "Yesterday you asked me my name, today I will give it to you." He told him what it was and Joseph wrote it down so that he could do the temple work. Again the person disappeared as before. On the year of 1909, August 24, the children and grandchildren of John Scott met in the LaBell Meeting House at LaBell Idaho and organized into a family organization. The object in doing this was to honor their pioneer parents. Also for the purpose of doing work for the salvation of the dead ancestors. Hyrum Scott was chosen and sustained as president of the John Scott family organization. Hannah M. Morgan was chosen as secretary and treasurer. Later at a reunion held at Annis, Idaho, Sarah M. Walker was chosen and sustained as correspondence secretary and treasurer for life by a motion of Hyrum Scott. This was in the year of 1910. Her duties were to gather genealogy and look after temple work. Through the blessings of the Lord she has been able to get a copy of Grandfather Jacob Scott's records of his family. The temple work is now done for all of them. In 1908, Sarah had a dream which gave her a testimony of temple work and the necessity of it: I dreamed of a man coming to my home and he spoke tome and said: "I have come to you to see if you will see that my temple work is done for me." I asked him why he had come to me about his temple work and he answered and said: "Because your name is Sarah and that is an old family name." He then walked to the table and seemed to pour out something, a large pile of names written on small strips of cardboard. They were piled in a high rounding pile, and after he had done this, he turned to me and said: "Look, all of these people are waiting for you to do their temple work." I then asked him how I could get the genealogy of these people. He answered and said: "In the bottom of an old trunk you will find many of these names.: Then I asked him what his name was and he said, "My name is Henderson." I then awoke. This dream impressed my, it was so real it did not seem like a dream. I told my dream to my husband and told him I know of no man by the name of Henderson, who was related to me, but that I would write to Hannah as she had what few records my mother had of her people, and see if she knew of such a man being related to us. I did this and her answer came back. William Henderson married out Great Aunt Sarah Willis. In the bottom of my mother's old trunk we found a bundle of letters with genealogy of her people. Henderson's name was there and we also found, as he had said, that Sarah was an old family name on both sides of our family. Singed---Sarah Scott Walker Hyrum Scott's Testimony As related to Hannah Morgan He was standing at Salt lake City or rather at Mill Creek Ward Utah at the time he said: "Myself and some of my brother were going to the city and were standing on the Scott School House corner, waiting for Joseph Scott to arrive, when I fell, they all thought I was apparently dead. My spirit left my body and I gazed at it lying there on the ground. I was seized with the thought that I would like to see my family before I ascended to the Great Beyond. My spirit immediately began moving rapidly towards my home in Idaho. It didn't seem any effort at all for me to go. I just glided along in the air at an immense speed. The landscape looked very familiar to me, I knew all the towns as I passed through. When I arrived at Willow Creek, Idaho, I saw a messenger approaching me from a south eastern direction. He was dressed in a white robe and had a long beard. When I saw him, the thought came to me that he was going to stop me from going home, and being very desirous that such thing should not occur, I pulled the little line that held my spirit to my body and tried to break it. The messenger then asked me what I was trying to do, and I told him and he said, if you had broken it, you never could have went back to your body and your work on earth is not finished yet, for if I entered the house I could never go back to my body. So I promised and he accompanied me. I saw right through the walls of the house; saw my wife and children, and a sick little boy, that my wife was attending; saw one of my brother-in-laws, who was cutting down trees close by the house. My spirit then returned to my body. How I entered my body, I do not know, but I was gone just 15 minutes.

Elizabeth Meneary's Patriarchal Blessing

Contributor: jeanniebug Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

A copy of this blessing is in the booklet prepared by Edith Scott in 1986 for a family reunion. Direct descendants of Elizabeth Meneary are able to request a copy of this blessing by going to lds.org. It is the policy of the Church that Patriarchal Blessing's not be printed out in the public so I have not included this blessing. The Church History Library has all of the blessings that have been sent in and a person can request any direct line ancestor and it will be sent to them.

Life timeline of Elizabeth Menerey

Elizabeth Menerey was born on 10 Sep 1815
Elizabeth Menerey was 10 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
See More
Elizabeth Menerey was 16 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Elizabeth Menerey was 25 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
Elizabeth Menerey was 44 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Elizabeth Menerey was 46 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
See More
Elizabeth Menerey was 64 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Elizabeth Menerey died on 2 Dec 1886 at the age of 71
Grave record for Elizabeth Menerey (10 Sep 1815 - 2 Dec 1886), BillionGraves Record 5249744 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States