Elizabeth L. Wood

9 Mar 1879 - 29 Apr 1940


Elizabeth L. Wood

9 Mar 1879 - 29 Apr 1940
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Elizabeth L. Wood (9 Mar 1879 - 29 Apr 1940) at Spanish Fork City Cemetery in Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Elizabeth L. Wood
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Elizabeth L. Wood


Spanish Fork City Cemetery

Cemetery Roads
Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah
United States




July 17, 2011


July 17, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Elizabeth L....

We found more records about Elizabeth L. Wood.

Grave Site of Elizabeth L.


Elizabeth L. Wood is buried in the Spanish Fork City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Elizabeth Lavinia Ferris Wood

Contributor: robbiedwarren Created: 3 weeks ago Updated: 3 weeks ago

Elizabeth Lavina Ferris By Ann Nybo She was born on March 9, 1879 to Thomas Ferris and Lavina Tabitha Ostler at Nephi, Juab County, Utah. She was the oldest of a family of six children who were: Mary Ann, Joshua, Lorenzo, Johnathan, Martha Isobel and Eliza. She was about five feet, two or three inches tall (I could look over her head and I (Ann Nybo) am five feet four). She had lots of brown-black hair and large green eyes. Although very small and slender as a girl she must have been very strong physically because she told me that before she had her first five children so fast and worked hard, she never knew what it was like to be sick or have even a headache. From what we have been able to piece together, her dad was a freighter who worked with this father hauling produce from Utah to Nevada and back. They also helped haul marble during the building of the Salt Lake temple. It would appear that they moved around the state some because some of the rest of the family were born in Silver City and others in Salem. After coming to Salem, it seems from several histories I've read that they had several homes. Thomas' brother Samuel is also listed as living in Salem. Their last home here that Ma talked about was a small log house that stood just north and west of Ernest Hank's barn east on First South on the banks of the Salem canal. Among the friends that Ma spoke of were the Davis family Lars and Olive Davis Grant and Otteson’s a lady by the name of Ethel Ottesen who was the daughter of Larsene Otteson, George Bahr and Brigham Stone also told me they were school friends of Ma and Uncle Josh. They must have been deeply religious for Ma always taught us to do whatever we were asked to do by church officers and by the fact that when Dad was asked to go on a mission even though she was down sick in bed and all five children were sick she insisted on Dad's going. They were taught to be strictly honest. I was told the following story: One day when Elizabeth was on her way home from school, the wind had been blowing hard and as she passed an apple orchard, several ripe apples were laying in the road. So, thinking that because they were in the road, it was ok to eat one. She picked one up and was still eating it when she got home. Her father asked where she got the apple. When she told him she had picked it up in the road, he gave her a very hard licking saying he would not have any of this family stealing anything and that the apple was not hers to take. She was a fun loving person. She loved good clean jokes and the humorous antics of our family. It was fun to see her when she laughed especially when she was sitting down. She would sort of bounce up and down. She said she loved to dance. The waltz and the old Quadrills. (I have several calls off these that she saved. They were fore runners of the square dances and she knew several calls. She sometimes sang and I learned some songs from her. She was a very bright intelligent person even though she only had a seventh grade education. She was an excellent reader, writer, and I've been in the store with her when the clerk has been adding up the bill. There would be a list of three columns and maybe fifteen or twenty items. Ma, could add it in her head before the clerk did with pencil and paper and she always gave the correct answer. She was a willing and hard worker on her father's farm and in the fall when they went to the canyon to bring wood for winter. She told me the following story. One fall when Elizabeth and her dad went up Payson canyon to get wood for winter, they worked very hard and it being a very hot day, they became overheated. When they stopped to rest, her father drank too much cold water. He became paralyzed and had to spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair. This left her mother and the kids to do whatever they could to earn a living. The mother was an excellent seamstress and sewed for nearly everyone in Salem at that time. She told me of a scarey thing that happened to her one night when she was young: Ma and her family lived in Salem, Utah much of her younger years. One of the homes in which they lived and which she seemed to remember most was a little log house that stood north and a little west of where Ernest Hank's barn now stands. It is about two miles or more from the center of Salem on what then was just a lane. One cold winter night, Elizabeth's parents told her that one of their little ones was very sick and since she was the oldest child in the family and her father paralyzed and unable to go, it was up to her to go to the drugstore and get some medicine. She felt frightened and reluctant but put on her wraps and went out into the night. The drug store that was in Salem at that time was located across the street north on main street of where the church now stands and about the second building west. Things went fine on the trip to town. She obtained the needed drugs and started her long lonely walk home. There were very few homes in the lane then. After leaving town, she became very frightened feeling that some thing or someone was following her. She didn't dare look back for fear of what it was, but quickened her steps. Every time she walked faster she could feel it walked faster. Yet, she dared not run. Silently, she uttered a prayer to her heavenly father for her protection and hurried on; toward home. Finally, a very white, frightened, and relieved girl burst into the cabin slamming the door and telling her parents that something or someone had followed her home from town. Her family laughed and told her that she had imagined it because she was so afraid. The next morning however, on looking in the snow around the cabin and down the road, they found the tracks of a very large mountain lion. After her father died, the mother just sort of gave up on keeping the family together. Elizabeth was given to the family of Alpheous Bingham who lived in Benjamin, Utah (at the age of fifteen), and she lived with them until she met and married Dad. Merrill, knew the family and said they loved her very much. She said she worked like a slave for them but she must have loved them also because, I remember some of them visiting at our home and she called them uncle Alph and her aunt Em. The rest of the children were also given to families around the valley. When Dad proposed she said he never said he loved her, just that he liked her and would she marry him. They were married November 23, 1898 in the Salt Lake temple. My sister LaVerne, the fifth child was later born on that day. After marriage, they worked very hard. They had a herd of dairy cattle and used to sell cream and butter. They also raised chickens and sold eggs. Mother, worked very hard even helping milk and take care of the cattle and chickens making all the butter and caring for the family. This, along with having her first five children very close together helped to break her health. After the fifth child was born, Dad was called to serve a mission for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to the Western states mission (Colorado and New Mexico). Merrill, who was then eight years old had to be the man of the house. Dad traveled much of his mission without purse or script. Elizabeth, was a very kind and thoughtful mother. When you were ill you received royal treatment and she was so generous that if someone at the table asked for more meat or anything she would go without to give it to them. She was very strict and you never crossed her, for if you did you were sure to receive the punishment you so richly deserved. She was an excellent cook and her bread especially was the very best. When we were all home she baked eight loaves three times a week. Neighbors and friends were always asked to eat. It was not uncommon for us younger kids to have several friends each, up home to visit and sleep over night. They were always treated very good and always happy. I never knew her to even turn a hobo or tramp away hungry. Sundays, we often used to make ice cream and neighbors, friends and relatives usually came to enjoy it with us. It was from her that I learned to quilt. We often quilted grey outing flannel for our farm beds. It was from her that I learned to crochet and the basics of sewing. She was a very studious person often reading from the scriptures, Relief Society Magazine and many other books and Magazines. She raised many beautiful flowers. She taught us to be dependable and reliable and to always try and keep our promises, to say please when asking for things and show and express our appreciation always whether at the table or otherwise. One of my fond recollections of Dad, Ma and home is to picture myself coming across the river bottoms at twilight or after dark and being guided safely home by the lights shining through the old south windows and knowing what a warm welcome awaited me there. Her last year or two of life she was ill most of the time suffering from heart disease, hardening of the arteries, varicose ulcers and other painful ailments. It was my privilege to spend the last few months of her life with her and Dad trying to help ease the suffering and give Dad a chance to be outside and work on the farm. She died at home the evening of April 29, 1940 surrounded by husband and family who loved her and revered by many. At her funeral, the choir sang “Sister Thou Wast Mild and Lovely.” This was our Ma, truly a queen. Church. With her large family Ma served as a teacher some, but I remember most her most as a devoted Relief Society visiting teacher. She and our neighbor Rose Warner always made their monthly visits, Rain or Shine, most of the time with horse and buggy. The homes in the River bottoms then were a long distance apart but they always did their visiting. Later because she never drove a car sometimes Dad drove them. The following song reminds me of home and Ma and Dad: Every night as I lay on my pillow, there's a vision of home comes to me. Far away 'neath the old weeping willow is a place I keep longing to see. By the door sits an old grey haired lady who hums as she rocks to and fro. And I pray I will soon be returning to that land of the west long ago. (Chorus) I know there is somebody waiting in the house at the end of the lane. I know there is someone who loves me and there I'll be welcome again. For someday my footsteps will lead me to the place I keep longing to see And I know that a light will be burning in the widow back home for me. 2nd Verse Oh how often I dream of my childhood when she held me so close to her breast. When the trials of the day would be over, she lulled me to sweet peaceful rest. And now as the long years roll onward, I long for my home in the lane. And I know that each hour will be dreary till I get back there once again.

Life timeline of Elizabeth L. Wood

Elizabeth L. Wood was born on 9 Mar 1879
Elizabeth L. Wood was 6 years old when Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog. Louis Pasteur was a French biologist, microbiologist and chemist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and prevention of diseases, and his discoveries have saved many lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".
See More
Elizabeth L. Wood was 20 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
See More
Elizabeth L. Wood was 30 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
Elizabeth L. Wood was 33 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
See More
Elizabeth L. Wood was 51 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
Elizabeth L. Wood was 61 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
See More
Elizabeth L. Wood died on 29 Apr 1940 at the age of 61
Grave record for Elizabeth L. Wood (9 Mar 1879 - 29 Apr 1940), BillionGraves Record 54309 Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah, United States