Eliza Guymon (Anderson)

17 Apr 1891 - 10 Jul 1965

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Eliza Guymon (Anderson)

17 Apr 1891 - 10 Jul 1965
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Eliza Guymon (Anderson) (17 Apr 1891 - 10 Jul 1965) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Eliza Guymon (Anderson)


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States




June 9, 2011


April 16, 2020


April 19, 2020


June 8, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Eliza


Eliza Guymon (Anderson) is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Lyda's first job as a teenager was working as a clerk in the Fountain Green Co-op Store. She helped support her family from her stores, music lessons, real estate transactions and careful money managing. For several years she played for silent movies and three dance orchestras. She gave piano lessons in her home. She also gave music lessons once, under the supervision of A.E. Jones, Superintendent. It was a government job and all of the teachers were sent to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City for two weeks with expenses paid. There they learned the song "Coming Home." She also held fancy stitch work classes on the lawn ouside the house to teach embriodery and crocheting. Later, she had a room built on the south side of her home in Fountain Green, Utah. From this room she sold dry goods and "notions", magazines, jewlery, gifts, fabrics, fancy needle work and sewing materials, and she also did hemstitching. At Christmas time she would stock up on boxed candy. In the fall of 1937, at 42 years of age she got a job on school lunch. During this period she met and was courted by Heber Christensen. After Lyda married Heber, she moved to Moroni, Utah. Here she set up a store in the business area of town. She raised the money to open her store by walking to the turkey feed company south of town to mend feed sacks. She stocked dry goods in her store and always had special things for young children to buy. She had a hemstitching machine in her store and she spent hours and hous for years hemstitching pillow cases, baby clothes and many other articles for people. Lyda was a good gardener and would stock the cellar every winter with potatoes and apples. She also bottled vegatables from the garden, and other fruit items. She sewed her childrens clothes by working on them "a season ahead." She did a lot of beautiful handwork on all their clothes. One dress that Deneice, her daughter remembers, was blue taffeta with embriodered rambler roses and gold beaded baskets on the skirt. For years she woked as a news corespondent for the Mount Pleasant Pyramid, Ephraim Enterprise, Nephi Times, Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune. She also sold fresh flowers for Squire's Floral Company in Mount Pleasant, Utah for funerals and weddings.


Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

At age eight, Lyda learned her first music lesson on an old reed organ. She functioned as a pianist and organist in Fountain Green, Moroni, and Salt Lake City for 64 years of her life. She was an accompanist for hundreds of vocal and instrumental numbers, operas, pageants, cantatas and choral groups in addition to being a conductor of two singing Mothers' groups in the Relief Society. While in the mission field, she was selected to accompany Pres. Heber J. Grant when he performed a vocal for the missionaries. She reportedly held as many as seven church positions at one time. Lyda wrote letters constantly to the sick and lonely, and spent hundreds of hours practiciing with the choir and singing groups she organized. She made it a practice to visit the families in town when a new baby was born. The bishop once announced in church how she was so faithful to visit the sick. She make many scrap books, studied the scriptures constantly and wrote songs for various occasions. "It Takes a Heap of Living" by Edgar A Guest, was her favorite poem and "Joeseph Smith's First Prayer" by George Manwaring, was her favorite song.


Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

ELIZA (LYDA) ANDERSON GUYMON CHRISTENSEN Second child in a family of four daughters of Johan (John) Anderson and Eliza Maria Bischoff. BORN: 17 April 1891 PLACE: Fountain Green, Sanpete, Utah BLESSED: 4 June 1891 by Lars Nielson BAPTIZED: 1 July 1899 by Hans L. Hanson CONFIRMED: 2 July 1899 by William F. Cook MARRIED: 3 November 1910 to Charles Edgar Guymon in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah by Thomas A. Clawson. ENDOWED: 6 March 1914, Manti Temple SEALED: 6 March 1914, Manti Temple to Charles E. Guymon DIVORCED: Civilly in 1926 to Charles E. Guymon SEALING CANCELLATION: 5 June 1928 to Charles E. Guymon by President Heber J. Grant SEALED: 9 February 1938 to Heber Christensen in the Salt Lake Temple MISSION: 23 May 1938 to Macon, Georgia with Heber Christensen MISSION: 7 February 1942 as Stake Missionary with her husband Heber Christensen in the Moroni Stake SEALING CANCELLATION: 15 June 1942 to Heber Christensen by President Heber J. Grant RE-SEALED: 18 June 1942 in the Manti Temple to Charles Edgar Guymon (President D. Young performed the sealing with John G. Jensen and Alonzo Olsen as witnesses. James Green stood proxy for Charles Edgar Guymon.) DEATH: 10 July 1965 PLACE: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah BURIED: 13 July 1965 at the Provo City Cemetery next to her husband Charles Edgar Guymon CHILDREN: Deneice Guymon, 8 May 1911, Fountain Green, Utah John Kay Guymon, 8 May 1913, Fountain Green, Utah Marjorie Guymon, 26 October 1915, Fountain Green, Utah Edna Guymon, 29 December 1917, Fountain Green, Utah Fred Edgar Guymon, 5 June 1920, Fountain Green, Utah Grace Guymon, 16 April 1922, Fountain Green, Utah (died 16 January 1927) Ray Anderson Guymon, 5 October 1924, Fountain Green, Utah (died 5 August 1926)


Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

LIFE SKETCH: Eliza (Lyda) Anderson was born 17 April 1891 to Johan (John) Anderson and Eliza Maria Bischoff in Fountain Green, Utah. Lyda had blond hair and blue eyes. Her father was born in Sweden and her mother was born in Utah. Her father was 29 and her mother was 24 when Lyda was born. When she was two years and four months of age her father died from Typhoid fever. Lyda’s mother and father had only been married for five years. They had just completed building their house in Fountain Green. Her father had stored a two-year supply of lumber as he was planning to serve a second mission for the church. His first mission had been back to Sweden during which he found and converted his older brother. Soon after he returned from his mission he and Eliza were married. Lyda’s mother also had a nickname of Lizy that was used by local residents and the family. Lyda’s mother and father had been operating a furniture store at the time of her father’s death and her mother took over the responsibility of operating the store. Her mother also tried various other ventures and successfully kept the family well cared for. Her mother never re-married. Lyda had to help around the house and worked hard to help sustain the family. She had three sisters and the youngest, Emma, was born nearly eight months after her father died. When Lyda was about eight years of age her mother bought a second hand reed organ on which all the children could take music lessons. Each day Lyda's mother would hand her the alarm clock. She knew she had an hour of practicing ahead of her. One of the first songs she played as an organist was "Jesus Once was a Little Child" for the Fountain Green Ward Primary when she was between nine and ten years old. Later she played for the MIA. She was grateful for this opportunity to serve as she expressed several times in her writings and in her testimony. She remembered a pillow top her mother helped her make of green and white checked gingham, with a donkey design done in red cross stitch. Her mother taught her to tat, crochet and knot. They sewed by hand many balls of rags for rugs. Her mother was one of the first in Fountain Green to buy a piano, the first one to have a telephone and to have a modern bathroom. They were also one of the first to have a cement sidewalk, which was constructed in 1917. It was the same year that World War I started. Lyda remembered that the first phonograph in the town of Fountain Green was Nephi Robertson's. As children, Nephi’s daughter, Effie, used to pay Lyda 5 cents for every song she would sing. "I was a real Prima Donna." Lyda once said. She used to love helping a Rozella Jensen (Collard) gather eggs, also to watch the beautiful peacocks at Rozella’s grandma Aagard's barnyard. Lyda's father once won a prize of a buggy for selling the most farm machinery. This occurred when he was first married to her mother. He traded the buggy to James Guymon (Ed's father) for two and a half acres of land south of the then city limits of Fountain Green. Her mother kept the land throughout her life and willed it to Lyda. Over many years it paid off to have crops from it or to lease it to someone else. When Lyda's sister, Katie, was two years of age she had an illness that disabled her from walking. When Katie became six and was ready to begin school she had no way of getting there because there was no transportation and her mother was busy tending the store. So Lyda's mother made special arrangements for Lyda to begin school at five so she could take Katie to school and back every day in an "express wagon" in which she pulled Katie. Lyda would also pull her in this wagon to the store and other places. She used this wagon to pull her sister Emma around too because she was the baby. Lyda loved school and found it to be easy for her. Her teacher, Bertha Jorgenson, gave her a test that allowed her to be promoted, with honors, to the next grade so there was one grade she skipped. In 1904, at 13 years of age, they lived in an upstairs apartment in Ephraim, Utah, home of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Nielsen. At nighttime, she could see the lights of Fountain Green glitter through the north window. Here she learned to do, in artwork, beautiful shading with silk thread of flowers and fruits and learned to do Battenburg and Hardanger and other kinds of solid embroidery. She mentions how tired she became of boiled spuds and water gravy, and of hearing the man and woman quarrel so much. Also at age 13 she won first prize in a spelling contest of 600 words in which she had only 3 mistakes. She received a framed picture of 6 poets for her efforts (Deneice has this picture). Frank Jorgensen was her teacher at the time. As a teenager she worked for several years as a clerk in the Fountain Green Co-op Store along with Elevia Jensen (Oldroyd). J. T. Oldroyd was her manager and she loved and enjoyed her job. It was here that "dear Ed" (a pet name Lyda used for her husband) came into her life and made his first date with her. After she graduated from high school in Fountain Green, Lyda attended college at Snow College the following fall. Her roommates were Alice Ostler (Hansen) and Ella Christiansen (Ivory). She said they "batched it" and got very homesick at times, but oh how she loved the schooling. She took sewing, cooking, theology, and music, "and it was wonderful", she said. Later, Lyda attended college at B.Y.U. where she roomed with her sister Katie and Emma Oldroyd. Here she took the same studies but also added English and art. In English she studied the book "Snow Bound" taught by Alfred Osmond, which she thought was very inspiring. On November 3, 1910, Thomas A. Clawson married Lyda and Charles Edgar Guymon in Salt Lake City. Lyda was 19 years old and Ed was 28. They moved into a house that is located next to Eliza Bischoff Anderson’s home (Lyda’s mother) on the south side in Fountain Green. It is located on 100 South and 100 West where the Anderson home is located on the corner. The homes are on the west side of the street and their backyards are adjoining. Lyda’s sister, Katie was still occupying a room in her mother’s house. Katie’s inability to walk was a handicap to her but she and her mother were able to help each other. The home was a kitchen, one bedroom and one bathroom house when they first moved in. They added a “parlor” and one large room where the children all slept. The boys slept in one corner of the room and the girls in another corner. The heat for the entire house was from the kitchen wood stove and they used a “heatarola” in the parlor on Sundays and Christmas for extra heat. They used a smooth round rock, which was heated in the kitchen stove before bedtime, wrapped in a blanket after removal from the stove and placed in the bottom of the beds to keep the children’s feet warm at night. The house always had indoor plumbing and an indoor bathroom. The kitchen sick had a bucket to collect the wastewater to be thrown out. There was also an outdoor toilet that was used during the day. The stove had a hot water reservoir for hot water use. About four years later on March 4, 1914, Ed and Lyda were sealed in the Manti Temple. Deneice and John were also sealed at that time. Deneice was two years and 10 months old and John was 10 months old. When Deneice and John were age two and four, respectively, "dear Ed" and Lyda were asked to go to the Manti Temple to do work for the dead. They left the children with Lyda’s mother and sister, Katie, for two weeks while they filled this responsibility. They took the Sanpete Valley Train, rented a room in Manti for the two-week period and returned home on the Virginia Creeper Train. When Ed was herding sheep, even though Fountain Green was a quiet and peaceful place, Lyda would get very nervous at night. She would hire a next-door neighbor boy, named Dell Morgan, to sleep at the house. She wrote that, when Ed was out to the sheep and the children were still small, "I painted our entire house with four coats of paint. Dear John was big enough to paint the gable ends for me. I couldn't climb a ladder that high. I also put two coats of paint on the iron picket fence from our garden corner up to dear Mama's furniture store. Uncle Dan Bischoff was a blacksmith and made the fence. It was always painted black with gold color tops. At the present time this fence has been torn down for which I am very sad." During electric storms Lyda would take all the children to Grandma Anderson's house, which was just across the yard. The family had a "Royal Scroll", a "box-like affair" that had Bible stories and pictures. You turned a little handle to rotate the pictures. This was their family home evening entertainment along with musical chairs and polished apples. She made the best suet pudding and rhubarb mush. She always had a batch of homemade bread for on the go. She usually cooked creamed carrots and string beans, homemade soup with dumplings, rolls, and rice pudding. She also kept a cow and pig, which supplied the family with plenty of milk, cream, butter and meat. Lyda's home was a house of music. They always seemed to have a good record to play on the wind-up phonograph. Classical record of Enrico Caruso singing Pagliacci and Galli Gurchi singing, "Lo, hear the Gentle Lark." There were piano lessons going on with Lyda doing the teaching. She wrote, "When we were all quarantined for six weeks for scarlet fever--we had a rough time but we had a radio and also Nora Bayes records to play on the old phonograph. Chris Lund was marshal and very strict. We had to disinfect and fumigate the house before he would take the red flag down. But when he (Chris) did--John rushed out and put up the American Flag for freedom. Dear Ed stayed over to my mother's house because he was away when we were first quarantined." Lyda’s mother, Eliza Anderson, died on 13 December 1923 and was buried three days later in Fountain Green City cemetery. It is felt that Ed developed a drinking problem and had become quite alcoholic. This was no small problem for Lyda who had a strong religious commitment. His problem had developed to the point that the family had to hide the vanilla extract, which at that time had some alcohol content. Marjorie remembers seeing her father crawling through the back yard of her grandmother and into her backyard to get home because he would get so drunk he could not stand. In 1926 Lyda had a civil divorce from Ed when Lyda was 35 years old. Ed moved to Provo, took a job as a barber and continued to herd sheep. He also worked as groundskeeper at the Roberts Hotel. Just a short time later on 5 August 1926, their last child, Ray, died at 22 months from a ruptured appendix and five months later their next youngest child, Grace, died at age four from heart problems resulting from a severe flu. Ed paid for the burial sites. This was a very difficult time for Lyda and the family. Eliza, Lyda’s mother, was the only girl with four brothers: Robert John (John), Nephi Daniel (Dan), Joseph Peter (Joe) and Albert Fredrick (Fred). She decided to visit her uncles John and Dan Bischoff who had moved to Lovell, Wyoming. During the time the Bischoff family was in Fountain Green, John and Joseph taught school and Dan was a blacksmith and steelworker. They had assisted Lyda financially and emotionally during the time they were together in Fountain Green. John and Dan had moved to Wyoming to homestead a large ranch and invited Lyda to visit in the summer of 1927. This was a much needed break for Lyda and the family. It was a pleasant trip and they were well received by the family. They also visited Yellowstone Park for a few days on their way back to Fountain Green. Deneice was not on this trip because she went to California with her aunt Katie during that same time. Lyda took the responsibility for raising her five remaining children. She stayed in the home and worked various jobs to provide financial support. It was a time when Lyda felt very alone but supported by her community and self-determination. After the divorce, Lyda did not want contact with the Guymon family and cut off any relation her family had with them. Lyda’s daughter, Marjorie, said of her: “She was a money manager. She was very determined. She’d make up her mind that she was going to do something and nothing kept her from doing it and that was at buying property and making money on it, etc. Her efforts seemed to be for the benefit of her children, to see that they went to college or on a mission. If she could see that her children could benefit she would work her head off. I remember her famous words; ‘There is nothing that gives me more pleasure than to see my children active in the church.’ She did all that she could to encourage this. We weren’t angels. A hard worker, Oh, I don’t know how she ever, ever did what she did. She was the best gardener in the world. In the fall she would get the big coaster wagon out and fill it up with squash. We children canvassed the town and sold squash. I know people that bought squash that were growing their own squash and didn’t need it but bought them for $0.10/each. There were lots of little things like this that she used to keep us busy. She always could come up with things that would bring in money to her dying days.” On June 5, 1928, Lyda obtained a temple sealing cancellation from Ed by President Heber J. Grant on the grounds of inebriety. Morgan Lamb, a neighbor in Fountain Green, said of Lyda’s character at her funeral, “…She was one woman who gave more service than any other I know could have done. She was the woman who did the things all of us would like to do but don’t get done, but she did them. She was one of the most positive thinkers I ever knew. When it came to the work of the Lord, it could be done and she knew it could be done. She sent three children in the mission field to serve the Lord. I remember her sewing sacks at the feed mill – mending sacks at night and day and when she was through she and her good husband (Heber Christensen) went into the mission field too and served the Lord there. I don’t know how many other missionaries she sent. I know she was contributing to a number of them whom she didn’t hardly know, supporting them in the mission field and encouraging them in the work of the Lord. She could write a letter to anyone when the rest of us would like to do it but don’t. But she did it. When she wanted to write a letter of encouragement to a person who needed it, she could write that letter and she did it. She wanted to say the beautiful things and she said them. To me she was a marvel and her children today can be mighty proud of their mother who was one that did the things we all want to do, but don’t.” Deneice, the eldest child, was the first to get married. She married Earl Tucker Blackham on 10 June 1929. She was four month away from giving birth to her second child when word came of the death of Ed Guymon on 16 August 1931. The funeral was conducted in Provo under the direction of his second wife, Antonetty Smith. He was buried in Provo City cemetery. Lyda’s sister, Katie, married Frederick Irving Abbott on 6 September 1931. Soon afterward she sold the Anderson home and moved to California with her husband. Edna was the second to get married on 8 May 1935 to Earl William Bailey. This is the same day as John and Deneice’s birthdays. Lyda had worked hard through her life and prepared to send her children into the mission field. John, Marjorie and Fred all served missions. John served a mission from 1934-1936. The second to serve was Marjorie and Lyda decided she too would serve a mission with Marjorie during Marjorie’s final six months. They would be in the Southern States Mission. It was in 1937 that Marjorie was called to the Southern States Mission. During the first part of Marjorie’s mission, however, Lyda met and married Heber Christensen from Moroni on 9 February 1938 in the Salt Lake Temple. They moved to Moroni to live and begin their new lives toether. Still determined to serve a mission with Marjorie during her final six months, Lyda found “extra work” and was able to finance her mission with her new husband and keep her goal. They served the last six months of Marjorie’s mission in the same mission and all three returned home together in December of 1938. Fred stayed with Earl and Deneice Blackham for the six-month period his parents and his sister, Marjorie, were on their mission. For a short time he also lived with Earl and Edna Bailey. Fred was 18 at the time and was just finishing high school. Fred remembered that while he lived at the Blackham home, Earl had two sets of boxing gloves he kept in the garage. He used to have sparing and boxing matches in the garage if people came to challenge each other or Earl himself. Often it would be one or two drunks from the bar who had lost their sense of restraint and wanted to fight. Fred had a few sparing matches with Earl and he said that Earl would laugh if Fred was “stung” in the nose and it made his eyes water. Once, a drunken bum came to the shop wanting a fight and Earl had Fred put on the gloves to box with the drunk. Fred said the bum came after him on the run and they made a couple of laps around the garage. Fred, finally realizing he had to defend himself, turned and let the drunk have it. With one punch, Fred knocked him out the drunk he fell back into the tub of water they used to check for leaks in inner tubes. Fred said it taught him the lesson that sometimes you have to stand up and defend yourself. After graduating from high school Fred served a mission in the East Central States Mission. After his mission he went to B.Y.U. for one year then enlisted in the Navy for officers training. He married Mary Elizabeth Jackson 21 January 1945 while at B.Y.U. He was placed on active duty and was assigned to UCLA for completion of his officers training program. Katie and Fred Abbott, Fred’s aunt and uncle, lived near UCLA in Santa Monica at 11686 1/2 Brentwood Heights. That address may sound familiar because it is now part of the O. J. Simpson estate. They had a three-bedroom home there that has now been torn down. Fred and Mary were stationed at Westwood Village, which was only about three miles from where Katie and Frederick lived. Fred and Mary used to visit them regularly on their free Saturdays. They were treated very well and had many hours of enjoyment together. Later Lyda began corresponding with Leroy Whitehead, who worked as a seminary teacher for the church. She was interested in the series of articles he was writing for the Church Section of the Deseret News. The articles were about the Ammonite boys in The Book of Mormon who were willing to go to battle and had faith that they would not die because they had been taught faith by their mothers. The articles were entitled, "The Sons of Helaman March Again" as he would relate the experience of the Sons of Helaman to his experiences with the youth of the church. Leroy decided that he would have a fine Latter-day Saint mother represented in the series and he chose Lyda to be that mother. In about 1940 he published her testimony in this article of the Deseret News, which reads: "I had wished in my soul so many times that John could go on a mission for the church, but whenever I would even think of such a thing, I knew very well that it could never be because I was a widow with no income and my family to take care of. It was at the Moroni Stake Conference on September 1, 1934, the Saturday evening session at Moroni, that President Joseph R. Christiansen reported a call for more missionaries from our Stake, by the General Authorities, and made the theme of that meeting, 'Missionary Work.' While returned missionaries were speaking, Elder John H. Taylor, now of the First Council of Seventy, and at that time in charge of the Mission Home in Salt Lake City, arrived to represent the General Authorities at the conference. While Elder Taylor was speaking in the meeting, he made a statement that I felt were not his own words but were given him from God and which will live in my heart through all time: 'I wonder why you people here have only one missionary out in the field. You could have more if you only thought you could for I know there is someone here tonight who has a little money saved up for old age or later on but let me tell you, if you'll take that money and send a son or daughter on a mission, you will have made the best investment you could make in this life, even though you died without a penny.' It was made known to me right then that my son, John, should go on a mission. But how? On our journey home that evening I scarcely spoke a word to the others for my thoughts were so far away and wondering every minute how in the world I could do such a thing. I retired to bed near 10 o'clock but I did not sleep. 'John was to go on a mission, but how?' I repeated over and over again. I had a choice piece of land, 2 1/2 acres, below town, that I could perhaps sell, but 1934 was the hardest year of the depression. I tried to work out something in my mind but everything failed. After the clock struck 2 a.m. I decided that John should go, because of the humble testimonies which came to my mind that I had heard at Sacrament meetings and conferences, which, unknown to me, had been building a testimony for me through the years to be of use to me when I needed it most. And then I fell asleep. The next morning I was more convinced that ever of the program ahead but I had to have money for my son's mission. I did have a little money saved up, as Elder Taylor had said, but it was so little. I knew it would be enough to buy some new clothes, books and suit cases and get him into the mission field but that was all and where in the world would the balance come from. I went directly to my piano to play, for I had received inspiration there before, and the only piece of music upon it was the song, 'My Faith In Thee'. I had played this beautiful accompaniment dozens of times before this time, for others to sing, but never in all my life had I played it before nor since, when both music and words sounded so grand and meant so much to me, and how I played, sang and wept, all at the same time, over and over again, that beautiful song: 'What though the skies be dark and drear, Though this heart of mine is sad; Have I not faith to trust in Thee, Thy love to make me glad? What though unrest be in my soul, I know that Thou art near; Thou promised Thou wouldst watch o'er me, What then have I to fear? Chorus My faith in Thee -- My faith in Thee, Shall never change no matter what betide. 'Tis like a star in heaven afar, To ease my pain -- my steps to guide. When heart aches come, when hope is dim, When clouds appear and dreary is my day. I know with me -- Thy love wilt be, My faith in Thee shall last alway.' I went then to my friends with my story, hoping for encouragement and some way to meet the financial end of my boy's mission. But never have I received so much discouragement. I first tried to get some kind of work which I had thought of doing but soon found out that it was not to be realized. I went to several well-to-do friends to try and borrow a little money, for I had this piece of land for security and tried to mortgage my home, but not one dollar could I get the promise of. If I had ever received a single word of encouragement, how thankful I would have been, but the more discouraged I got, the stronger grew my faith and I realized it was from God. I went to my Stake President's home and told him of my experiences of the previous night and to inform him that if he wanted him, John was to go on a mission. When he asked me, 'How soon?', I replied as soon as he wanted him. On my way home I had a sickening feeling come over me. I had informed my Stake President that my son was ready to go on a mission and I hadn't told John a thing about it. What if he should refuse? I went home and prayed with all the fervor of my heart for the Lord's help. I returned to Moroni that afternoon for conference and to break the news to John. When I told him of what I had done he stated that he would love to go, and I realized that again my prayers were answered. I related this to Bishop Ephraim Nelson a few days later and he said these words to me: 'Why, the Lord sent that call direct through you and had you prepared for it. It was the same with John. You were worried about him not caring to go, but that news was no shock to him for the Lord had him prepared for it also.' John's call came on September 1, 1934, and his farewell party was held September 30th, and he left soon after that, but he did not know, until after his return home, that I had no prospects in mind for keeping him in the mission field. I can testify that from the very day I arrived home, after seeing him off for his mission, work began coming to me in ways that I had never dreamed of and I found it necessary to have my two daughters help me. At the close of a 26-month mission, John came home and during that time I never had to borrow one penny nor did I owe one on his mission either, and I also paid the most honest tithing of my life, which demonstrates to me the Lord does not forget His children nor the promises He has made, such as: 'Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.' (Malachi 3:10) It may add to the testimony of others to know that besides paying John's expenses, as well as those for my home and family, that I also paid a note in a bank which I had been worrying about for nearly five years and which, I am sure, I would still be owing, if it had not been for this missionary; I even paid for a home and furniture, for a member of my family, with the exception of a small amount and my younger son and I had a 10-day trip to California to meet our missionary when he was released. My testimony had become so strong and my faith so great that several months before John's release, I went to my Bishop, Irvin P. Oldroyd, and told him just how I felt and informed him that my daughter, Marjorie, was just the required age to go on a mission and if he would like her to go, that she could go as soon as my son returned. My son returned on December 22, 1936 and two months later, my daughter entered the Mission Home, March 1, 1937. She was called to the Southern States Mission. I began immediately to make plans to spend the last six months of Marjorie's mission with her as a short term missionary, but in the meantime I met a wonderful man, Heber Christensen of Moroni, who had filled a mission for the church. We fell in love and decided to marry and both of us go on that short-term mission. But he lost his work and everything looked dark again for my plans. Again I asked the Lord for strength and to give me extra work so that I could earn enough to fulfill these desires. There was my daughter, already in the mission field, to be financed for six months more, our own expenses for the preparations to leave, and our expenses in the field and the return home trip of 3,000 miles. I recalled a statement of Elder Adolph Merz of Salt Lake City, who said: 'There is absolutely nothing we cannot accomplish in righteousness if we have enough faith', so with this to help me on and increase my testimony, we prepared for our marriage and mission. More work than ever came to me and in due time we were ready to go. We were married in the Salt Lake Temple and received calls for the Southern States Mission soon after, but not until that time did I remember my patriarchal blessing I had received 35 years before and upon reading it I found the following statement: 'Thou shalt be blest with a companion in life, whom thou shalt love and honor and together thou shalt teach and preach together the word of life unto many nations.' My husband and I labored in Macon, Georgia and there we spent some of the happiest days of our lives among faithful saints and investigators. I thought I had such a wonderful testimony of our gospel before I left home, but after laboring there it was increased a hundred fold through our humble efforts and hard work and study. We had been promised by a servant of God that we would be blessed with health and strength to carry on our work and we went through our mission without missing a single day, even though we were older than the other missionaries." We labored in Augusta, Georgia, for a short time, and met many splendid people and those days and months brought me nearer to my Heavenly Father that ever before, for it was His work. We were only instruments in His hands to do and say the things He wished us to. Before leaving for home I remarked to my husband, that we might have to walk back to Utah when we were released, for I knew not how we would pay our fare, but again the Lord rose up friends to our aid and letters from them came most every week with contributions in cash in them until at the time of our release we had sufficient to get home in comfort. We moved to Moroni after our return home and soon after I went to my new Bishop, George Anderson, and informed him that if he would like a missionary that my younger son, Fred, could go as soon as he reached the required age. I am thankful to say that he has just received his call and is assigned to the East Central States Mission and is to leave June of this year. This again will call for much faith because my husband has been practically out of work since last July and has not a single prospect in sight but how happy we all are for we absolutely know that if we strive most humbly to live the gospel, pay our honest tithing, though very small, and be faithful in our church duties as well as work hard in every possible way, the Lord will open up the way that he will be successful and return home in honor with the most priceless of all possessions, a testimony of the divinity of the gospel of Jesus Christ. When Fred returns, my husband's unmarried son, Paul Christensen, will be old enough to go on a mission and he will have his chance, the Lord being willing. I wish to express my thanks to my Father in Heaven for the testimony which I possess and to whom I give all the praise and credit for all these priceless experiences. If it were not His work, 'Mormonism' would have failed long ago and our missionaries would be forced to come home, for various reasons, but if they are faithful to their callings and accomplish worthwhile things while in the field, it is because of their humility and our Savior's guiding influence and power who has promised His missionaries success if they only labor with faith and sincerity, as well as live the gospel as perfectly as possible. They will then be able to touch the hearts of God's chosen ones who recognize their Master's voice and they will witness manifestations of God's power resting upon them, for no matter how humble and unlearned they may be, they will be made strong and mighty. They will taste of the gospel of Jesus Christ and know what the Spirit of God is and in giving their testimony to the world will find 'the more they give away, the more they will have themselves'. From the bottom of my heart and in every fiber of my being, I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and that it is through His influence and leadership that our church was organized and has made such progress, and that our missionaries have been so successful. I am just as confident that Joseph Smith was called of God and ordained under the hands of heavenly messengers, as I am that I breathe. God grant that my humble testimony may be the means of increasing the faith of both parents and young people and that it will result in many more happy homes due to sending more missionaries, is my humble prayer." On 7 February 1942 Lyda and Heber were called to serve a stake mission for Moroni Stake. It was during this time that there became some question about the sealing between Heber and Lyda. Lyda had developed “a deep feeling of forgiveness” toward her former husband Ed. Heber, in sincerity, wrote a letter to President Heber J. Grant to inquire what advice he would give in relation to what they should do in this case. President Grant wrote back on 15 June 1942 with a cancellation of the sealing between Heber Christensen and Eliza Anderson Guymon with an approval for the resealing of Eliza Anderson Guymon to her former husband Charles Edgar Guymon. Accordingly, three days later, they were resealed in the Moroni Temple by proxy on 18 June 1942. Lyda and Heber lived out their lives together until 1952 when Heber Christensen died and was buried in the Moroni City Cemetery. In 1957 Lyda moved to Salt Lake City to engaged in temple work and be near her daughters, Marjorie and Edna. She called her little apartment there "my little bit of Heaven". It was here she passed away 10 July 1965 at the age of 74. She was buried in the Provo City cemetery next to her husband Charles Edgar Guymon on 13 July 1965. From and article in the Church News 7 December 1963 it reads: “Lyda G. Christensen, organist for the past sixty-two years in Fountain Green, Moroni, and Salt Lake City is still going strong. No pianist or organist has shared her talents more generously. Her career started when she was ten. She learned her first lesson on an old reed organ. Since then she has been organist in Stake and Ward positions including choir organist in Fountain Green under eight different conductors while holding as many as seven other positions in the Church. She has been accompanist for hundreds of vocal and instrumental numbers, operas, pageants, cantatas, and choral groups in addition to being conductor of two singing Mother’s groups in Relief Society. For several years she played for silent movies, three dance orchestras and gave music lessons. Money thus earned helped to buy musical instruments and lessons for her children and send them on missions. While she was in the mission field she was selected to accompany President Heber J. Grant when he sang a vocal solo for the missionaries.”

Life timeline of Eliza Guymon (Anderson)

Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was born on 17 Apr 1891
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was 17 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was 23 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was 37 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was 48 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was 54 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) was 65 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Eliza Guymon (Anderson) died on 10 Jul 1965 at the age of 74
Grave record for Eliza Guymon (Anderson) (17 Apr 1891 - 10 Jul 1965), BillionGraves Record 13142 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States