Elijah Allen

7 Feb 1826 - 16 Apr 1866

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Elijah Allen

7 Feb 1826 - 16 Apr 1866
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

book: PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN OF UTAH, Frank Esshom, 1913 ALLEN, Andrew Lee (son of Elijah ALLEN, born 1763, and Mehitable HALL, both of New Hampshire). He was born Nov 24, 1791, Limeric Parsonfield, N.H. Came to Utah Aug. 12, 1852, John M. HIGBEE company. Married Clarinda KNAPP 1825, who was bor
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Elijah Allen
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Elijah Allen


Richmond City Cemetery

398 200 E
Richmond, Cache, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

A Private in Company "B"
US Mormon Battalion
Buried in Salt Lake Utah Cemetery in an unmarked grave.


May 24, 2012


May 14, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Elijah...

We found more records about Elijah Allen.

Grave Site of Elijah


Elijah Allen is buried in the Richmond City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Andrew L. ALLEN - Pioneers & Prominent Men

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

book: PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN OF UTAH, Frank Esshom, 1913 ALLEN, Andrew Lee (son of Elijah ALLEN, born 1763, and Mehitable HALL, both of New Hampshire). He was born Nov 24, 1791, Limeric Parsonfield, N.H. Came to Utah Aug. 12, 1852, John M. HIGBEE company. Married Clarinda KNAPP 1825, who was born Aug 10, 1802, and came to Utah with husband. Their children: Elijah b. Feb 7, 1826 m. Eliza Ann BICKMORE; Lydia b. June 5, 1827; Sophronia b. Nov 6, 1828, m. Abram FOSTER; Charles b. Oct 15, 1830, m. Adelaide HOOPS; Andrew b. Aug 16, 1832, m. Manerva WHITTLE; James b. Oct 12, 1833 m. Mary MATHEWS; Sidney b. Aug 12, 1835, m. Ann COOPER; Susan b. Dec 31, 1837, m. John GOASLIND; Levi b. April 1, 1842, m. Lavinia HENSON; Julia b. June 8, 1844. Family home Provo, UT.

Elijah Allen -- A Biography by Verleen Allen Comish Manwaring

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Elijah Allen was born on February 7, 1826 at Burton, Cattaraugus County, New York. He was the oldest son of Andrew Lee and Clarinda Knapp Allen. Elijah’s father was a prosperous farmer who owned a large grove of sugar maple trees and a nice home and business in Burton, Cattaraugus, New York. After the family was converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) in 1833, they sold their home, land and business and moved to Kirkland, Ohio. Here they met the Prophet Joseph Smith and the rest of the church members. Elijah was baptized in the river by Rogger Orton and was confirmed by Sidney Rigdon in the newly finished Kirkland Temple. He was ten years of age. This year was 1836. The troubles started in Kirkland and the saints were again driven out of their homes including Andrew and Clarinda and their now eight children. Elijah, being the oldest, was twelve years old. Andrew, who had considerable real estate, left Kirkland and did not receive anything for it. They started west for Missouri. They stopped first on the Illinois River at Bardstown and stayed through the winter. Andrew cut cord wood and young Elijah hauled it. In that way they were sustained. They then moved many places. I will write more about them in his father Andrew Lee’s history and just name the places for now. They moved to Virginia, Cass County, Illinois. They then moved towards Nauvoo, ten miles east of Carthage, where one more daughter was born. In 1842 they lived near Plymouth, Illinois. In 1844 they moved still closer to Nauvoo and stopped at Camp Creek, fourteen miles northeast of Nauvoo. Miner Deming had been elected Sheriff and had moved up to Carthage, Illinois, where he lived in the lower room of the stone jail. As the family was moving to Camp Creek they stopped in Carthage and were welcomed by Mr. Deming to stay overnight. They made several trips and stopped there each time. Elijah and his brother Charles were allowed to go through any part of the jail that was not occupied. They went in the room where the Prophet and the Patriarch were so cruelly murdered outright without any cause. There was a hole in the door and blood stains on the floor and the ceiling was knocked off in many places. It made them feel very sad. After moving to Camp Creek, they rented a farm from a Mr. Hibbert, where they stayed for a year and raised a good crop of corn. By hauling it to Nauvoo, fifteen miles away, they could get ten cents a bushel for it. Elijah left home to look for work. He started west and traveled a number of days, crossed the Mississippi River still looking for work which he didn’t find. On his return, he stopped in Nauvoo and called at Brigham Young’s home and asked him for counsel. Brother Young told him he could stop and stay with him and go to work, which he did. He lived with the Young family until the church moved west. When his brother Charles hauled corn to Nauvoo, he stayed at the Young home where Elijah was living. Charles wrote in his journal that he became well acquainted with the family and was much pleased and well entertained by the young ladies of the house, who was Brigham’s daughter and Susan Devine who played the piano and sang their beautiful songs made the time pass very pleasantly during the long winter evenings. Elijah took his own Endowments out in the Nauvoo Temple on January 26, 1846. I’m sure he did his share of work on the Nauvoo Temple as was expected of the members who resided there, as his parents did their share on the Kirkland Temple. He drove a team for President Young through to Winter Quarters (Council Bluffs, Iowa) on February 4, 1846. When the Saints left their homes in mid-winter, they were exposed to the elements without shelter, except for that which was afforded them by a scanty supply of tents and wagon covers. They were transported across the Mississippi River first on a flat bottom ferry and then when the ice froze, they were able to cross easier. Elijah wrote in his journal that he had passed through scenes in common (experienced the hardships together) with the Saints to Council Bluffs, Iowa and helped ferry and get the wagons across both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. While in Council Bluffs in 1846, a call from the United States Government was then made for five hundred men to go into the United States Army to fight in the war with Mexico. Elijah was one who threw down his ox whip and left his teams and cattle and was mustered into Company B of the Mormon Battalion on July 16, 1846. Elijah said in his journal that President Young asked him if he thought we would have any fighting to do? I said, “I do not know.” He then said, “You will have no fighting to do in the service.” His words were proved verily true. His last words to me were that he would see me again. Elijah marched with the Mormon Battalion for 2000 miles to San Diego, California. It was considered to be the longest infantry march in US history. He was discharged on July 16, 1847 in Los Angeles, California. One year to the day from the day he enlisted. He was 21 years old. The mustered out members of the Battalion were striking out for home every day. He was expecting to go to San Francisco but was taken sick and detained. On recovery, he went to the San Gabriel Mission and worked until 1848. He left there about February 15, 1848 in company with 10 or 12 others with 200 head of cattle for the Church. He stood guard almost every night and drove every day for about three months. He arrived in the Salt Lake Valley and commenced farming at the mouth of Red Butte Canyon. He paid Brother Elijah K. Fuller five dollars each for a half of bushel of corn and buckwheat and 25 cents a pound for flour. The crickets ate every ear of corn he planted. Discouraged, he left for the states with Miles Goodyear herding and driving a band of horses. He was poorly clothed and got a pair of pants from the dragoons, and fell heir to all the livestock (lice), very annoying. They traveled until they came to the Sweetwater and suddenly came upon the camp of President Brigham Young and several hundred Saints (this was President Young’s second trip to Utah to bring back the rest of his family and fellow Saints). They camped close by and Elijah went up to their camp and saw his old friends once more. When President Young saw him, his first words were, “May the good Lord bless you forever and ever.” In addition to his blessing, he gave him some good clothing (I’m sure without the lice). The next morning they again started for the States (Utah was a Territory until 1896) where Elijah was united with his parents, brothers and sisters. His family was living in Keg Creek; the year was 1849. He had been gone two years and three months. In 1848, the family moved toward Kanesville (Council Bluffs) and stopped on Keg Creek, eighteen miles south of Kanesville where there was a small branch of the Church organized with Elder Libeus ***** presiding. They stayed there four years and opened up and improved two farms. Elijah and his younger brothers established a saw mill near his father’s farm and ran it for one season before they sold it for $1,000.00. They used the money to get ready to come to Utah. Elijah met Eliza Ann Bickmore in Silver Creek, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. She was the sister of Gilbert Bickmore, Elijah’s friend in the Mormon Battalion. Elijah and Eliza were married on May 2, 1852. In the spring of 1852, they sold their farms and prepared for starting west with the Saints. They went in the first company of 100 wagons. John M. Higby was the Captain. Andrew Lee took excellent care of his teams, and taught his sons to take good care of their teams. The Allen teams were said to arrive in Utah in the best condition. Their trip to Utah was a long and tiresome journey; they saw a good many buffalo on the road and the hunters killed several, which was a great treat. They arrived in Salt lake City on August 13, 1852. The family camped on the public square for a week and then moved to Provo, Utah, 42 miles south of Salt Lake City. They lived in Provo for several years, then Elijah and Eliza Ann and their two sons, Elijah Jr. and William, moved to Fort Harriman, Salt Lake County, Utah where four more sons were born and one daughter. (James Carson, Andrew Bickmore, Henry Heber, Joseph Smith, and Eliza Ann.) Elijah farmed for a living. He died in Fort Harriman on April 21, 1866. He was only 40 years old when he died, leaving a widow with seven small children to raise. The oldest child was thirteen and the youngest was three years old at the time of their father’s death. Elijah’s brothers settled in the northern end of Cache Valley, Utah, in Richmond. After Elijah’s death, they brought his widow and their seven children to Richmond. Eventually, Eliza Ann and her boys homesteaded land five miles north of Richmond. The town they homesteaded in was named Coveville and then later changed to Cove. (Note: This information, I have used for this history is condensed from the journals of Elijah Allen and his brother Charles Hopkins Allen. I want to thank my twin sister, Verla Allen Comish Harris, for all the genealogy she sent me over the years. Without her love and help, I would not have all of this wonderful and exciting history of my Allen family. This short history is by Verleen Allen Comish Manwaring, Elijah’s great granddaughter.)

Elijah Allen -- Autobiographical Sketch of His Mormon Battalion Experiences

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Editor’s Note: This autobiographical sketch was written about 1848 by Elijah Allen upon his return to Iowa and was published as a newspaper article. The original document is to be found in the L. D. S. Church Historical Archives and was used by permission for this article. Nothing has been deleted, original spelling has been retained. Punctuation and capitalization have been changed for clarity. Paragraphs have been added for this story submission to Family Search to improve readability only. Notes have been added, but are noted with parenthesis. This article was transcribed and edited by Michael Craig Allen. He published a full and expansive account in his book entitled, “Elijah Allen Family Chronicles” that also included many other quotes from other primary sources providing a detailed accounting of the Mormon Battalion story. Elijah Allen, Born 1826, Baptized by Elder Rogger Orton, Confirmed by Sidney Rigdon in Kirkland, Temple 1836. About the first of February 1846, I left Nauvoo and drove a team for President (Brigham) Young and passed through those scenes in common with the saints to Council Bluffs and helped to ferry and cross the wagons over the Missouri River. A call from the (United States) government was then made for five hundred men to go into the United States service. President Young wished his boys to inlist, so Nathan Young (and) Albert Dunham (teamsters for Brigham Young), we threw down the ox whip and left his teams and cattle to be took care of as best they could in that wild, unsettled country, and put our names down in Company “B”. Was mustered into service 16(th) of July 1846. President Young asked me if I thought we would have any fighting to do. I said, “I do not know.” He then said, “We would have no fighting to do in the service.” His words proved verily true. His last words to me, he said he would see me again. For two hundred miles we marched down the Missouri River (and) passed through several towns. The Missourians asked me every chance, where we was going. I told them to California. They said we would never see California, it was the intention of the government to march into Old Mexico and we never need expect to see home again. I allowed them to their op(n)ion and I had mine, and that was (that) we would see our friends and home again, as our Prophet had told us. When we had marched into the principle street of Saint Joseph (Missouri), our Colonel (James Allen) ordered us to halt and front face and rest. Some business was done when orders was given to form into rank, right face, march. We kept good time with our musicians, Levi Hancock, Major (Richard D.) Sprague and four or five others. Spectators looked and gazed after us as far as they could see. We camped in the timber, there was a tremendous wind in the night that blew the limbs in every direction but fortunately no person was hurt. When op(p)osite Fort Leavenworth, the ferry made ready and crossed the battalion over into the fort. Here we camped for several days, owing to the extreme hot weather, many were taken sick. Here we drew our muskets, knapsacks, canteens (and) camp equipage, and Colonel (James) Allen ordered Captain (Jefferson) Hunt to move on with the Battalion to Council Grove. Here we heard of (the) death of Colonel (James) Allen by some officers (Sanderson & Smith) that came into camp in the evening. We had formed some acquaintance in coming down the Missouri River and his (Colonel Allen’s) loss was felt. Lieut(enant) Smith took the command and we were put on forced march. I helped to ferry till late in the evening. It was about 11 o’clock before we got into camp. I had a violent fever in the morning. I took a large dose of Boneaet (bicarbonate) which came near puking me to death during the day, in the evening Elder (Ephraim R.) Hanks laid hands on me and I felt a great deal better. The next day (Aug. 19) there was a violent storm of rain and wind which seemed to defy every thing before it, blowing down all our tents, blew off some of the wagon covers and moved some of the light wagons several rods. When the fever left, I was very weak. I then had the blody flux several weeks. We traveled up the Arkansaw River several days then crossed the river. Brother (Alva) Phellps died (Sept 16) and was buried the next morning. We then traveled 70 miles without water to the Symarone (Cimmeron), traveled up the creek several days. We now come into mountain country. Our Doctor (Sanderson) was a bitter enemy to us on account of our religion. My mess mate Brother (Albert) Dunaham was sick and give out. He was got into the wagon to ride. When the Doc saw it, he ordered him out and told him if he did not keep out of the wagon, he would tie him behind the wagon and drag him to California by G--D---. He said he would rather kill the D----- Mormons than cure them. We either had to report ourselves, take the Calomel (Mercurious Chloride) or pack our gunes. For this reason, I kept away as long as possible. At last l went up to sick quarters one morning. I asked for something to relieve me from pain. He said, “G—D--- you, why don’t you report to the orderly.” I said I did not wish to come on the sick list. I wanted something to cure me. He turned to the steward, Brother (William W.) Spencer and ordered me some medisone which I had to take in his presence, which seemed to make me a great deal worse. I thought, I would rather march in the ranks, live or die. About the 10th of Oct(ober), we marched into Santa Fe and was saluted by a company of infantry, discharging their guns over our heads. We beat the Horse Co(mpany) in, although they left Fort Leavenworth several days before us. I went to the Catholic Church to see many curiosities to me. About the 20(th October), we left for the Rio Grande, under the command of Colonel (Phillip St. George) Cook. We traveled down this river about 20 days (and) passed through several townes. Brother (George S.) Clark of our mess and quite a number of sick were sent back to Pueblo (Colorado) but my feelings was to (illegiable). The mountains on each side are covered with snow, which makes it quite cool when we turn out in the night for guard. This country had been settled by Spainards, but many years ago they had been driven out by the Indians or murdered, consequently, the country was full of wild cattle. Our hunters, in the morning fired into a hurd and started (startled?) them from the hills down into our camp. They came bounding in, uncommon(ly) savage, hooking downe everything before them. I was in the rear when the fight commenced. Sergeant (Albert) Smith was hooked down and put into the wagon. Just before I came up to the bull, he was shot several times, but was still a groning. I passed through unhurt and heard the boys tell of the fight. Several of the men were hooked to death and several bulls shot, which on the whole made it a very exciting day. We left the St. (San) Pedro for Teusone (Tucson). They say they are seven or eight hundred strong of mulitia to regulars. One of our piolets was sent in advance to procure some provisions, they delayed him as a spy. Consequently, (Colonel) Cook ordered four Spainards to be taken from a distillery we passed by as hostages in the night. They came in the night and wished to exchange prisoners and told us we could go around the towne, but it was against the orders of their government for American troops to go through. (Colonel) Cook told them we should go through the next morning. 20 rounds of cartridges were issued to each man. We were on forced march for towne, but to our astonishment, most every man had left the place and we took (illegible) possession of the fort. We camped within a mile of towne. About midnight the alarme was given by the outstanding guard. The men were all in battle line in a few minutes, with muskets loaded, ready for the Spainards or any thing else. After standing in ranks a few minutes, I was detailed, with others to help take care of the mules. So we passed through the night prepared for peace or war. But it proved we had no fighting to do, as the early beat of the drum aroused all hands for the task before them, to start on the desert of 100 miles. We strung along, traveling night and day. I have traveled many times alone to fires built along the road in the night, where some perhaps had just left, laid me down an hour or two, then up and travel on to the next. So we continued all night for three nights. Even the mules were heard braing pitiousley through the night, for the want of water. At last we reached the Gila River where we could quench our thirst again. We traveled down the river 20 days or more. We passed through a large tribe of Peemoe (Pima) Indians, they are pretty industrious. They live in little townes and raise their own cotton and grain. We passed by Christmas and New Years down here without much serimoney. We camped about one mile below the mouth of the Gila River, on the banks of the Colorado River. Five wagons boxes were lashed together for a ferry boat and we commenced ferrying and fording early in the morning. The river (is) about one mile wide here. Some of the mules (are) so weak they (illegible) to death. Here is another desert before us of about 100 miles. The teams is well neigh coming out of the little end of the horne (meaning they were thin). Here we drove till in the night, then lay our weary boddies downe upon the cold sand to rest till the morning dawn aroused us for the task again. We continued our march till we came to water again. We passed through (a) craggy, rockey pass in the mountains. I helped to take the wagons through, worked till late, then camped without water. The next day, came to water, eat some beef, our flour had been out for several days. We traveled on to Warner Ranch. Here I sold the last shirt off my back, to the Indians, for five small brand cakes. We had a cold rain all night, that chilled some of the worn out mules to death. We left this place for Los Angalos where General Karneys men were fighting the Spanish. After two or three days march, we heard the country was conquered and (the) fighting all done, so we turned our course for San Diego. (We) worked our way over the high bluffs, then continued our march to the Saint (San) Louis Mission, which is about 4 miles form (from) the Pacific Coast. This building or Catholic Mission is several rods long and white outside, which gives it a grand appearance. Although these are the last days of January, the hills and valleys are covered with green vegetation. Looks more like spring months than winter. And while standing my tower of guard and hear the cuckoo holler, many thought run through my mind, of friends and home, and I in this far off land, near to the flowing of the tide. We on the (illegible) our march from thence to San Diego, rested there a few days about the 11(th) of February we were on the march back to the Saint Loues Ray, where we were quartered and attended to drill about two months, when Captain Jesse D. Hunter’s Company was ordered to San Diego and the other 4 Companies to Los Angeles. A short time after I was in the hospital in San Diego 6 weeks, under the care of Doc. Griffin. When I was able, I walked about 1 mile to the harbor or bay every day and bathed. When I stopped traveling, the cramps seized me in the legs, drawing the flesh into knots, which was severe and painful. Brother (Albert) Dunham was taken sick in the night. He was brought into the hospital in the morning. The 2 day(s) he was out of his right mind, I sat beside his bed through the day and took care of him. He died about midnight and was buried a few hundred yards from the sea coast. He was 18 years of age and was faithful in the discharge of his duties. We lived several weeks of beef without salt. At last a ship came into port, bringing supplies. So we had the privilege of laying aside half rations for whole ones. I visited the marines on board the ship “Congress” several times. At last orders came for us to march to Purbalo (Los Angeles) to get our discharge. Traveled up the coast, without any accidents, only those that are common with our life. A good many in the Company had bought wild horses and thought they would pack on them, up the country, but they did not seem to be so willing to pack as we had before, for they flung their packs every chance. At last we camped on the banks of the river that runs by the Spanish city. The next day we got our discharge. A few days after the 16th of July 1847, and we gave three loud cheers that we were free again. The Battalion was striking out for home everyday. I was expecting to go to San Francisco and after making every preparation, I was taken sick again, which detained me. When well, I went to Saint Gabriel Mission and worked till 1848. I left Williams Ranch about 15 of February in company of 10 or 12 others, with 200 head of cattle for the church. I stood guard most every night and drove cattle all day for about 3 months till about the 23 of May. I arrived in Salt Lake Valley and commenced farming at the mouth of Red Butte Canyon, I paid to Brother (Elijah K.) Fuller 5 dollars for half bushel of corne and the same for half bushel buckwheat and 25 cents a pound for flour. The crickets eat off every shear of corne I had, so I left for the States with Mr. Goodyer (Miles Goodyear), with a band of horses. We went up Weber Kanyon. I was but porely clothed. I got a pair of pants of the Dragoons and fell air (heir) to all the livestock (lice), sometimes very annoying. We continued to travel till we came to the Sweetwater, we suddenly came upon the camp of President Young and several hundred Saints. We camped close by (and) I went up to camp to see my friends once more. When I left the Missouri River, President Young said he would see me again, which happened just here and his first words was, “May the Lord bless you forever and ever.” I thanked him, visited a hour or two and got some good clothes, went back to camp, and after the night(s) repose, started for the United States, to see my Fathers, Mothers, Brothers and Sisters once more and crossed the Missouri River the 23(rd) of October 1848. And then after being gone over two years, I felt I had landed once more on the shores of America.

Susanna Elizabeth Preece

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Some Memories of Long Ago by Susanna Preece Allen The first house I can remember was a little dirt-roofed log house of two rooms--one of which was used as a grainery. It faced north with a door and a nine-light window in ront and a rock chimney on the east end. We lived there until father built a new log house with a shingle roof in 1869, just before my brother, Francis, was born. My father kept oxen, horses, cows, sheep and goats. We had a dog named "Fanny" who was very intelligent. We could send her after the cows, and she would pick ours out of the herds and bring them in. All animals had to be herded in those days, to keep them from being stolen by the Indians, wandering cowboys or eaten by wild animals. Father used to hire Fanny out for the summer to other herders. We had a gentle old mare who would let us kids play around her and never kick, but one time the colt came up for it's dinner and I started to run it away. The mare kicked and caught me in the mouth and knocked out two of my teeth. The thought at first that my jaw was broken, but I soon healed. Father had land assinged to him, along with other pioneers. He had some in South Field (later known as Coveville and then, Cove, Utah), some cane lots on Maple Creek Bench, and some up on the cub River. He had to take the team to work the land on the Cub River and he always let us little folks ride a ways with him. He would often let me go with him for all day and I would rather go with Father than stay and tend my baby brothers. Father raised sugar cane and had it made into molasses. Our clothes were made of wool from the sheep that Mother spun into thread and yarn and she would weave it into material to make our clothes, and a tayloress, by the name of Henson, made the menfolks suits. Mother used to make what we called "slipdown" which was a fine dish for supper. She would take new milk and put rennet in it. [Dried and cleaned stomachs of young calves are sliced into small pieces and then put into saltwater or whey, together with some vinegar or wine to lower the pH of the solution. After some time (overnight or several days), the solution is filtered. The crude rennet that remains in the filtered solution can then be used to coagulate milk. About 1 gram of this solution can normally coagulate 2000 to 4000 grams of milk.], and when it turned thick like custard it was ready to eat--ust slipped down! Mother drank a little tea but father never did. Neither did he use liquor or tobacco. He went North freighting to Montana and Canada with other men who drank coffee. He drank cold water and withstood the cold weather better than the others. I had three little rothers and oh, I wanted a sister! So when my baby sister came. I was a proud and happy little girl. But my joy soon turned to sorrow as our Mother died when the babby was three days old. There were very few doctors in those days and as Mother was not well, they sent for another midwife who called in old "Quack" who gave Mother quicksilver which killed her. Her last words were, "Be good to the children, Mark!" She died 13 Nov 1871and was buried in the Franklin City Cemetery, Franklin, Idaho. Oh how it rained the day of her funeral! They put us children in Uncle Peter Preece's wagon because it had a cover on it (He had come up from Hooper, Utah to be at the funeral.) Some of the relatives wanted to take some of us children, but Father kep us all together, except for the baby and he let Grandma Comish take her. It wasn't far to Grandma's house so we could go and see her. I used to milk the nannie-goat and take the milk over to the baby who was named "Isabella Ellen." Mother had picked out the name "Isabella" (after her Aunt Isabella Comish Maddrell) but she was called "Little Ellen," but left us in 1874 and was buried by Mother in the Franklin Cemetery. Father hired a woman to take care of us children. She was Emma Bloomfield Vail, widow of Isaac Vail. He later married her but there were no children in either marriage for Emma. Father later married Octavia Braley, widow of her second cousin, John Braley. After the deaths of Emma and Octavia, he married Ann Lane. They were all instrumental in the raising of the children of Eleanor Comish Preece, as well as each others children. Andrew Bickmore Allen was the fifth child of Elijah Allen and Eliza Ann Bickmore and was born at Ft. Herriman, Utah. After his fathers death, Eliza and her family moved to Come, Utah (known as Coveville till 1946) as the first settlers there. Andrew as known as "Hickory" by his father as he was so quick and strong and the named stayed with him all his life. His father, who had been a member of the Mormon Battalion, died when he was six years old. His mother had a hard time providing for the family and he had to go to school barefoot in winter. He would run as far as he could, take off he cap and stand on it, then grab his cam and run on again. He helped his brother, William and James Carson Allen, herd cows in the summer. He could do a man's work binding wheat in the fields when in his early teens. At sixteen, he went to the Logan Canyon and chopped lumber for the Logan Temple and received the same wages as the best choppers. He carried mortar to the masons who were buildin the temple walls. He was always handy and quick in whatever he did. When only a small lad, he did the work of a man. He would help his brothers on their farms for a while and then went to work on the railroad. He and Susanna Elizabeth Preece were married in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City, Utah. Their first home was a one room log cabin just north of their large home where their last three children, Mark, Marion Elijah and Ivan Sylvester were born. They had to haul water in the winter from High Creek in barrels, then they finally got the spring piped down and that ended the packing and hauling. Susie mentione in her diary, "on 19 Feb 1935 they came and dug [pole] holes [to carry the electrical wiring] and finished [the installation] today - had a refrigerator and also a stove installed, the lights were turned on about 3 o'clock. Sure fine to have the dream and longing of a lifetime come to pass. When we got electric lights it did away with the lanterns or coal oil lamps. No more turning the washer by hand as it was converted to electric power right away." Andrew was a great lover of sports such as fishing and hunting and was always ready to go on a trip or to visit someone. His dealings with mankind were always true and honest and he never spoke of peoples faults. On the 22 of April 1935, he had a paralytic stroke and lost his speech, his determination not to give up made it possible for him to help himself though he couldn't talk so one could understand him. It was hard on him as he so loved to talk and visit. He died 14 Apr 1941 at the age of 81 years, 3 months and 22 days. He and Susie left a large posterity.

Allen, Elijah

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia Volume 3 Biographies .Allen, Elijah, was born Feb. 7, 1826, in the town of Burton, Cattarangus county, New York, the son of Andrew Lee Allen and Clarinda Knapp. Becoming a convert to "Mormonism," he was baptized in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1836, and confirmed a member of the Church by Sidney Rigdon. He afterwards shared with the Saints in their persecutions and trials in Missouri and Illinois. Early in February, 1846, he left Nauvoo for the west, driving a team for President Brigham Young. On his arrival on the Missouri river he enlisted in the Mormon Battalion and marched as a private in Company B to California. After his discharge in that State, July 16, 1847, and after passing through a siege of sickness, he obtained employment at the San Gabriel Mission, where he worked until 1848. In February of that year, together with about a dozen other men, he started for Great Salt Lake with about two hundred head of cattle, purchased for the Church, and after a difficult journey he arrived in Salt Lake Valley in the latter part of May, 1848, and commenced farming at the mouth of Red Butte Canyon. He paid a Brother Fuller $5 for half a bushel of seed corn to plant and the same amount for half a bushel of buckwheat, and he also paid 25 cents per pound for flour. The crickets, who destroyed his growing crops, saved him the trouble of harvesting. Later in the year (1848) he started for the States with Mr. Miles Goodyear, with a band of horses. On Sweetwater they met President Brigham Young and his company en route for the Valley. Continuing his journey eastward, he finally reached the States, crossing the Missouri river Oct. 23, 1848. There again he met his parents, brothers and sisters, from whom he had been absent two years and three months. When Bro. Allen returned to Utah, he became a resident of Provo, Utah county, where he was identified with the 21st quorum of Seventy. He died in Herriman, Salt Lake county, Utah, April 12, 1866.

The Morman Battalion by Kate B. Carter

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

The Morman Battalion by Kate B. Carter... Elijah Allen, the eldest son of Andrew Lee Allen and Clarinda Knapp Allen, was born in the town of Burton, Cattaraugus Co., New York, February 7, 1826. The family became converts to the Latter-day Saints faith and moved from place to place with the Saints. Elijah marched as a Private in Company "B" to California. While en route, he became seriously ill. One evening, as the company sat around the campfire deciding what to do next, Elijah heard the Captain of Company "B" make the remark that they were due a a certain place at a certain time and that Mr. Allen's sickness was the only thing that was holding them back. So, they decided to put him in the back of the wagon and travel with him anyway. Their plans were to start before daylight. During the night, as he did not feel well enough to make the trip and was afraid that the party would be compelled to stop on his account, he crawled out of the wagon and off into the sagebrush to die. As he lay there suffering he heard the wagons pulling out. The words of Brigham Young's blessing to him came to his mind, and he thought to himself, this is one time Brigham Young's prophecies would not be fulfilled. When all the wagons were out of sight, he crawled back to the campfire where he fell asleep. There he had a dream that the things that Brigham Young told him would come to pass. As the hours when by, the doctor of the company decided that he had better see how the sick man was coming along. When he found Elijah missing, he ordered some of the men to turn back. They placed him in the wagon and started on the return journey. By nightfall, he was feeling better and gradually regained his strength. He obtained employment at the San Gabriel Mission, where he worked until 1848. In February of that year, together with several other men, he started for the Great Salt Lake Valley with about 200 head of cattle that had been purchased for the church. He arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in the latter part of May 1848. Elijah married Eliza Ann Bickmore, May 2, 1852. They lived at Provo, then moved to Fort Herriman where he farmed for a living. He died there April 12, 1866 at the age of forty, leaving his wife with seven small children to rear.

Conquerors of the West

Contributor: apockalipse Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

rdrdbrdrw10 rdrdbrdrw10 ntblConquerors of the West: Stalwart Mormon Pioneers, volume 1ntbl Name: Elijah Allen Birth Date: 07 Feb 1826 Birth Place: Burton, Cattaraugus, New York Parents: Andrew Lee and Clarinda Knapp Allen Death Date: 12 Apr 1866 Death Place: Salt Lake City, Utah Arrival: 13 Aug 1852, John Higby Co. Spouse: Eliza Ann Bickmore Marriage Date: 03 May 1852 Marriage Place: Pottawattamie Co., Iowa Spouse's Birth Date: 29 Jan 1830 Spouse's Birth Place: Madisonville, Illinois Spouse's Death Date: 26 Mar 1901 Spouse's Death Place: Cove, Cache, Utah Elijah 's father was a prosperous farmer in New York state . After the family joined the Church, they moved to Kirtland, Ohio , and other towns as the church members moved. They suffered many hardships along with the other members. As a teen, Elijah left home to try to find work. He went to Brigham Young , who hired him as a teamster. When the saints went west, Elijah went with them, joining the Mormon Battalion enroute. He became ill and was forced to ride in a wagon, but he eventually recovered. After his discharge, he remained in San Gabriel Mission for a time, hunting gold. He finally returned to Salt Lake , where he traded gold for some land. In 1849 he sold his property, purchased equipment and returned to Kanesville, Ohio , where he found his family. He also found the girl he married. He and his brothers ran a saw mill to get enough funds for the family to go west. When they arrived in the Valley, they went on to Provo and later they moved north to Fort Herriman . He remained active in church and made his living farming. He died of liver problems at the age of 40, as a result of his illness while with the Battalion. Children: Elijah , b. 24 Feb 1853 , Provo, Utah . D. 2 Nov 1876 , Cove, Utah . Unmarried. William , b. 17 Apr 1854 , Provo, Utah . D. 21 Jan 1895 . Eliza Ann , b. 1 Jun 1856 , Fort Herriman, Utah . Md. 1 Oct 1877 , Manassah Barnes . D. 8 Jul 1912 , Cove, Cache, Utah . James Carson , b. 21 Mar 1858 , Ft. Herriman, Utah . Md. 1st, 1 Mar 1883 , Betsy Lowe . Md. 2nd, 11 Sep 1884 , Helen (Ellen) Lowe . D. 10 Feb 1935 , Cove, Utah . Andrew Bickmore , b. 23 Dec 1859 , Ft. Herriman, Utah . Md. 6 Jan 1881 , Susanna Elizabeth Preece . D. 14 Apr 1941 , Cove, Utah . Henry Heber , b. 11 Mar 1862 , Ft. Herriman, Utah . Md. 10 Apr 1882 , Elgena Poulson . D. 26 Mar 1941 , Logan, Utah . Joseph Smith , b. 20 Oct 1863 , Ft. Herriman, Utah . Md. 9 Dec 1885 , Phoebe Anderson . D. 9 May 1933 , Santa Ana, California . Theda Judd

Life timeline of Elijah Allen

Elijah Allen was born on 7 Feb 1826
Elijah Allen was 6 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Elijah Allen was 14 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Elijah Allen was 34 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Elijah Allen died on 16 Apr 1866 at the age of 40
Grave record for Elijah Allen (7 Feb 1826 - 16 Apr 1866), BillionGraves Record 1191853 Richmond, Cache, Utah, United States