Elias Adams

1843 - 1912

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Elias Adams

1843 - 1912
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

ELIAS ADAMS JR Elias Adams was born 2 January 1843 in Payson, Adams County, Illinois to Elias Adams and Malinda Railey. His family joined the church in April, 1841 and moved to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1843. Elias was three years old when he traveled with his family westward in February 1846. Brigham You

Life Information

Elias Adams


Kaysville City Cemetery

501-699 E Crestwood Rd
Kaysville, Davis, Utah
United States


April 7, 2013


April 7, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Elias


Elias Adams is buried in the Kaysville City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Elias Adams Jr

Contributor: koand Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

ELIAS ADAMS JR Elias Adams was born 2 January 1843 in Payson, Adams County, Illinois to Elias Adams and Malinda Railey. His family joined the church in April, 1841 and moved to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1843. Elias was three years old when he traveled with his family westward in February 1846. Brigham Young called his father as a presiding elder of the Church at Mt. Pisgah because of his qualities of leadership, which he gained through his experience as a successful businessman and his service in the army from 1812 to 1817. In the spring of 1850, the family journeyed west under the direction of Aaron Johnson. The family experienced all the hazards of Indians and wild animals, and took part in buffalo hunts as related in pioneer experiences. The company arrived in Salt Lake City in September 1850. The family started north after spending a night in Salt Lake City. They traveled ten miles to Sessions Settlement, which was renamed Bountiful. The family stayed there long enough to build a house, and then moved farther north to Kaysville. There they lived in their covered wagons while father and sons gathered logs from the mountains and built a one-room cabin and its homemade furniture. The children felt they were all brothers and sisters, even though they had different mothers. They had a happy childhood and were taught well by their solid pioneer father and mother. As Elias grew to manhood, he met Elizabeth Harris of Kaysville. They feel in love and were married on 29 November 1863. They started their life together in a dugout on the Adams property. It was made livable with homemade furniture and the few articles provided by Elias’s parents, such as a stove and cooking equipment. They were also provided with animals and chickens. With their hard work and good management they did well. Later they were able to move into a two-room house. Elias and Elizabeth had ten children together. After Elias and Elizabeth lived in the hollow house for a number of years, they prospered, so they built a better home on top of the hill. Elizabeth was not able to enjoy this home for long, because she became ill and died on 7 May 1888 at the age of forty-two, when her baby Catherine was fifteen months old. Elias found it very hard to care for the family himself, so he hired various women to keep house for him. After Catherine was in college and the youngest son was on a mission, he married one of the ladies that had worked for him, Lettie May Bennett, on 22 April 1903. They had three children. Elias taught his children to be self-reliant and that honesty was the best policy. He was respected by his extended family for his equal treatment of them and for his good judgment. He was a far-sighted man, investing in things which proved of good worth, such as Davis and Weber Canal Company, Farmer’s Union, and First National Bank of Layton, of which he was a director. He also purchased property where business buildings were later erected. He was chairman of the ward building committee for building the Layton Ward Chapel. He went into the sheep business and was very successful in this. He was always good to his children, giving them a piece of land and a start of stock when they married and left the home. One day in 1908, he hitched his team of brown mares to his buggy and started down the road toward Layton. The team became frightened of something and ran away. There was a sharp turn in the road that tipped the buggy over, and Elias was thrown over the fence into a field. This was a shock to his sixty-five-year-old body, and he did not fully recover from this fall. He passed away 29 August 1912 in Layton, Utah and was buried in the Kaysville-Layton Cemetery. From the book written by Lisle J Adams, a grandson

Adams Family Reunion 1956

Contributor: koand Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Adams Family Reunion 1956 Contributed By JenniferDavis· 2013-07-22 19:26:58 GMT+0000 (UTC) · 0 Comments Sunday, August 5, 1956 Lagoon Beach Terrace QUESTION: Who were the first pioneers in Layton, Utah? ANSWER: Elias Adams and wife, with the following sons and daughters: Mary; Rufus; John; Anna; George; Catherine; Joseph; Elias, Jr.; Caroline and Joshua. They arrived in October 1850, coming from Illinois with two covered wagons, 8 oxen and two saddle horses, locating near the mountains, east of Layton City where they immediately built a pioneer log home 16 x l8 feet which contained a large fireplace. This first home was covered with a dirt roof. QUESTION: Who built the first reservoir in the West ? ANSWER: Elias Adams, being assisted by his sons. The dam was forty feet long by four feet high and was used to impound irrigation water. The dam was started in 1852. In succeeding years the reservoir has been enlarged and is now one of the major storage systems in northern Utah. Joseph Adams conceived the plan of building two parallel ***** and then by sluicing methods, filled the space between the ***** with sand and clay at a cost of leas than one cent per square yard of fill dirt. QUESTION: Where was the first schoolhouse in Layton? ANSWER: It was located three miles northeast from the City of Layton. The schoolhouse was made of pine logs. It was 12 x 16 feet la size with a thatched roof covered with clay. A stone fireplace occupied one end of the room; the benches were pine slabs with legs for supports. The floor was composed of mother earth. Mrs. Thomas King was the teacher who taught reading, writing, and arithmetic. She was paid with wheat, flour, corn or meat by the parents of children who attended this first school in 1860. QUESTION: Who drove turkeys 200 miles in 1858? ANSWER: With the approach of Johnson’s Army, which numbered 2500 heavily armed troops of infantry and artillery, the Elias Adams family, with the other Utah pioneers, moved south for self-protection. Hyrum and Malinda were small and rode in the covered wagon with their mother, while Joshua who was ten years old drove the oxen. Grandfather Elias herded the cows and young stock as the caravan moved along. Elias, Jr. and Joseph drove three sheep, which were placed in a community herd. Caroline, who was 13 years old, walked and drove eleven turkeys. When it was learned that the Army came in peace and not to make war the pioneers returned to their various homes after an absence of several months. Later in life Caroline became an efficient practical nurse in Southern Idaho where, without the aid of a doctor, she delivered hundreds of babies on lonely ranches from Preston to Soda Springs, Idaho. QUESTION: Who built the first brick house in Layton? ANSWER: It was a two-story residence and was built by Elias Adarns in 1870 about 2 1/4 miles east of the Layton business district. Elias Adams made his own red brick. He learned the process of manufacturing brick while living at Quincy, Illinois where he owned and operated a brickyard, together with a flour mill before joining the LDS Church in 1843. QUESTION: What is the name of your relative who died in 1852 and was buried in Layton before there was a cemetery? ANSWER: Mary Ann Adams, age 28, eldest child and daughter of Elias and Elmira Adams. She passed away in the pioneer home of her father and was laid to rest in a home-made casket at the foot of the mountain. QUESTION: Where is Mary Ann Adams Dow buried? ANSWER: Her body has never been removed from its original resting place, which is about 500 feet west of her father’s old home. Several attempts have been made during the past 50 years to locate the grave without success. The boulder and other landmarks have been removed with the march of time. QUESTION: Which of your relations brought the first California gold to Utah? ANSWER: Rufus and John Adams, ages 23 and 19, respectively, and oldest sons of Elias Adams removed from Layton, Utah, to Carson Valley, Nevada in 1851. They engaged in ranching and blacksmithing and returned to Utah in 1850 to visit their parents, bringing much California gold in the form of $20.00 gold pieces which they concealed in the end-gate of their wagon to avoid highway robbery. QU.ESTION: Who built the first wagon bridge across the Bear River in Cache Valley? ANSWER: It was built by Joshua Adams in 1899. The bridge had three piers besides the two abutments, all of which was made of pine logs and stone and designed for one-way traffic. The bridge was 200 feet long and crossed the Bear River near Riverdale, Idaho, where “Josh” owned and cultivated 500 acres of farm land and supervised a saw mill. He not only could tame wild horses to be his servants but trained a bear to do tricks and a pair of elk to pull a sleigh. Uncle Josh hauled freight from Utah to the Montana gold fields as a young man and received $150 for his summer’s pay while driving five yoke of oxen on two freight wagons a distance of 500 miles from Corinne, Utah to Miles City, Montana. QUESTION: Who moved south in 1858 upon the approach of Johnson’s Army with all their worldly possessions loaded on a two-wheeled wagon cart drawn by oxen? ANSWER: Catherlne and Richard Pilling. The coverlng of the cart consisted of two birch bows over which a sheet was drawn. The cart was pulled by one ox and a cow. Thirty years later they left for Alberta Canada, with six teams of horses and wagons where they engaged extensively in wheat and cattle ranching. QUESTION: Who was buried in a mountain snow slide in l875 and was dug out alive? ANSWER: Joseph Adams. He was hunting on the mountain in February, east of Layton wlth his brother, Hyrum, Elias and Richard Pilling, Jr. The hunters located a head of Rocky Mountain Sheep on the sunny side of the South Fork of Kays Creek Canyon. Hyrum shot a ram, which, though wounded, followed the other sheep through deep snow around the shady side of the canyon. The hunters below the sheep were caught in a snow slide. Elias saw the slide coming and buried himself in the snow; the slide passed over him without injury. Joseph, being above, did not have time to escape and was carried 1500 feet in the slide over rocks and brush. Hyrum, Richard and Elias located Joeeph by a spot of blood on the surface of the packed slide which had piled up in the bottom of the canyon. After much digging with their rlfles, Joseph was released from his tomb of ice. His clothes were in shreds from the brush, His companions shared their clothes and assisted him down the mountain to home and safety. QUESTION: Who accidentally drove a single horse and buggy two miles before a wheel fell off because the hired man forgot to put on the burr after a grease job? ANSWER: Hyrum and Annie Adams had this unusual experience before automobile invaded the mountain west. The hired man had received instructions to harness the horse and grease the buggy, while the folks put on their best clothes for a 30-mile shopping trip to Ogden. The travelers were proceeding along the mountain road two miles from home when suddenly the right front wheel fell off. Hyrum started back along the road, watching carefully for the missing burr. After walking half a mile the hired man galloped up on a saddle horse and upon meeting Hyrum apologized for his failure to replace the burr after completing the grease job at the home. The repairs were made and the travelers continued on their way. This strange experience is typical of life. According to the rule book, they just can’t happen. QUESTION: Who owned the most cultivated acres in Davie County before the turn of the century? ANSWER: George W, Adams, in 1898, possessed 2000 acres of good land in the Layton area. All of this property was under irrigation. His hard-working sons used 36 work horses to plant and harvest the crops grown upon this vast estate. In 1898 George W. Adams also owned all the water supplied by Snowcreek. He operated two grain headers and one horsepower threshing machine during the harvest season.. QUESTION: Who mothered seven children and kept the home fires burning while her husband went to Alaska in 1898 in search of yellow gold? ANSWER: Malinda J. Burton, Her husband sold all the sheep and livestock to finance an expedition to Klondike near the Arctic Circle to prospect for gold. When he returned home in 1899, Malinda had saved the $500.00 left in the bank by John before his departure. He instructed his wife to use the money to support the family during his absence. Instead, this valuable nest egg helped John and Malinda finance a successful adventure in another sheep herd. QUESTION: Who challenged a bear with a knlfe and then built a wooden bear trap that worked? ANSWER: Elias Adams, Jr., his brother' Joseph Adams, and others were on the mountain getting logs, They left their lurch in a sheltered spot in Crooked Hollow. Tired and hungry, they returned at noon to find a large cinnamon she-bear devouring their lunch. They tried to drive her away but she wouldn’t leave. They discussed killing her. Then Elias suggested that they might use a method he had read about which was sometimes used in Africa to kill lions. A man holding a knife would wrap his arm and hold it out toward the lion. When the lion lunged for the arm, be was stabbed. Elias volunteered to attempt the lure on condition that the others would stand by with axes ready. He wrapped his arm in a coat and tried to tempt the bear but the bear only walked away. They built a trap of logs similar to a small hut with a trap door that dropped down when the bear was inside. They baited the trap with the remains of their lunch. The next day when they came back the bear bad eaten the lunch and escaped by dlgging under the trap. A floor was added and the trap was again baited and set. When they again returned they discovered that the bear had been there and gone, having chewed and squeezed her way out between the logs. Several days later John W. Burton was herding sheep in the area and found the dead bear, She had crawled off lo the brush to die after crushing her ribs in her escape from the trap

short bio of Elias Adams, Jr

Contributor: koand Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Elias Adams, Jr. 1843 - 1912 Elias Jr. was born a pioneer. His parents, Elias Adams and Malinda Railey lived in Payson, Illinois where he was born January 2, 1843. Payson is ten miles from the town of Quincy, and Quincy was the city which was so generous to the Mormons who were being driven out of Missouri. Governor Lilburn W. Boggs of Missouri had issued an edict saying the Mormons were a menace to the state, and the Saints were forced to leave. They could not stay in the state, and the people of Quincy Illinois invited them to stay temporarily with them until they could find a more suitable place. After Elias’s birth, the family moved to the city of Quincy where his father established a brickyard and built a new home. Joseph Smith purchased land in Illinois north of Quincy and also across the river in Iowa, and the Mormon Saints established their city of Nauvoo. But they had made a positive impression on the citizens of Quincy while they remained there, and Elias Adams, Sr. visited Nauvoo and chose to be associated with the Mormons. He described Joseph Smith as handsome, large, and athletic, but he was more influenced by the religion and he was baptized. Elias Sr. owned a large home in Quincy, owned a brick yard, and employed several other people to work there. He also owned a large flour mill, and was a prosperous citizen. But he chose to leave and move his family to Nauvoo. At the time, 1843, his family consisted of his wife, Malinda Railey, and their three children, 5-year-old Catherine, 2-year-old Joseph, and their new-born baby, Elias Junior. In addition there were the five children of his first wife, Elmira Cadwell. They were 19-year-old Mary Ann, 15-year-old John Quincy, 9-year-old Anna Maria, and 7-year-old George Washington. Elmira had died in1836. Living in Nauvoo was exciting for the Adams family. The city was growing and many people were building houses, and Elias’s father was able to reestablish his brick yard, building bricks for homes and stores in the city. Senior Elias and Malinda gave birth to another child, a daughter whom they named Caroline. But there was growing animosity against the Mormons, and the next year in 1844, the prophet Joseph Smith was taken to Carthage where he and his brother were murdered. Elias was still only a baby when the family was forced to leave their business and their home, and cross the Mississippi River into Iowa Territory. The evicted Mormon Pioneers stopped at a place on the Grand River in Iowa, 140 miles from Nauvoo, where Brigham Young commanded that they establish a settlement for all those who would be following. They called the place Garden Grove. Although they spent only 17 days in Garden Grove, they built a large and flourishing town. Crops were planted. Forty-eight men were directed to cut timber for the houses, one hundred men cut smaller trees to build fences, ten men built bridges over the streams, twelve men dug wells, while younger children watched the cattle and sheep. After seventeen days, Brigham Young appointed three men as supervising elders to remain there while the rest moved on. Parley P. Pratt recorded that after traveling thirty miles from Garden Grove, the company came to an area with sloping hills and beautiful groves of timber. As they approached, they startled deer in the woods which disappeared into the forest. Parley, recalling the story of Moses stopping at Mt. Pisgah before entering the promised land, exclaimed, “Why, this is Mt. Pisgah.” Here too, Brigham Young instructed that a community be built, and more than a thousand acres of land were cultivated, homes were built again, and a settlement was established. Although Elias Adams and his family had been traveling with the advance company of Saints, Brigham Young appointed Elias as Presiding Elder in Mt. Pisgah, and his family moved in to one of the log cabins which had been built. Young Elias was just three years old. In 1848, while they were staying at Mt. Pisgah, Malinda gave birth to a son, Joshua. The main body of Mormon Pioneers pushed onward through Iowa until they came to the Missouri River. Here, they established two additional communities, Kanesville (today called Council Bluffs, Iowa) and on the other side of the river was Winter Quarters (today called Florence, Nebraska). Elias Sr. did his best to make sure the Saints in Mt. Pisgah were cared for, although there was little food and many were starving. A fatal sickness spread through the camp of those who spent the winter there, and there were not enough nurses to care for the sick. When spring of 1847 came, Lorenzo Snow arrived in the community and as one of the Twelve Apostles, he assumed leadership. Although released as Presiding Elder, Elias and his family remained in Mt. Pisgah for three years. At last, in 1850, the family made preparations for the journey across Nebraska and Wyoming. Little Elias was now seven years old, and was able to help control the animals as he walked along the trail. They hitched four oxen to their wagon loaded with food, dishes, clothing, cooking utensils, bedding, ammunition, tools, and seeds. They had a dog, “Venter,” which ran along the trail with Elias. The moved across the state of Iowa. At Council Bluffs they joined a wagon company of Saints, headed by Aaron Johnson. The camp was divided into families of ten, and the elder Elias was appointed captain of his group. The wagons traveled slowly, and they found that Nebraska and Wyoming were much more difficult to travel than was Iowa. In addition, there were more hostile Indians. On one occasion a large group of Pawnee Indians stopped the wagon company to demand some sort of payment. The elder Elias went out to meet them. He had many experiences with Indians in his youth, and felt he could negotiate with them. After offering them a bag of tobacco, they left and there was no other disturbance. A stampede of buffalo is something which cannot be described. One June afternoon, Captain Aaron Johnson detected a low rumble in the distance. An experienced captain, he ordered the wagon train to stop. All the wagons were arranged in a tight circle, with the wheels of one wagon tightly chained to the wheels of the wagons before and after. The oxen were all herded inside the circle and then all yoked together. The thundering noise grew louder, and Captain Johnson ordered all men to stand at the front of the camp with loaded rifles. As the thundering herd approached, the men fired their rifles, trying to deflect the stampede. The noise was deafening as the buffalo pounded past the circled wagons. For young Elias it was frightening. The day the company arrived in Salt Lake in 1850, General Conference was being held. There were no buildings for the services, so the Saints met in the open. The family stayed in Salt Lake for a few days, but then moved northward to the Sessions Settlement (now Bountiful) where they remained for a time. As a brick builder, Elias Sr. used adobe to build brick, and built enough for several homes in that area. Then Elias chose to move further north to a small community which was called Kaysville, and here he built a more permanent home. By that time, the area had a population of about 300 people, and the church decided to establish a ward. The community was named after William Kay, and originally the ward was called Kays Ward. Elias and the older boys made numerous trips into the canyons to bring back red pine logs. The next Spring in 1851, they began preparing their land for agriculture. In Kaysville, there were two more children added to the family. Elias bought a hive of bees from Mr. Putnam of Bountiful. Honey was a rare treat among the pioneers. Realizing the importance of water in the area, father Elias and his sons found a site in a hollow above his home, and with a shovel and manpower, made a dam, forming what became known as “Adams Pond.” The reservoir became an important water project in the area. On the 24th of July, 1857, young Elias was 14 years old. He and his family were busy celebrating Pioneer Day in Kaysville when Orrin Porter Rockwell and others brought news to the Salt Lake Valley that a large army of 2500 soldiers was headed to Utah to put down the Mormon rebellion. The soldiers moved slowly, and hoped that they might winter in Wyoming, and then continue their march in the Spring Brigham Young called for volunteers who would “slow down” and “impede” the army’s march, but he gave strict instructions that there was to be no fighting or killing. Elias Sr. was now 65 years old, and felt that he should not leave his family. The two oldest sons had moved on to Nevada and were not at home. Young Elias was 15 years old, but his father felt it was more important for him to remain at home with the family. George, who was now 21, was sent to represent the Adams family. The Mormon Church had purchased Fort Bridger in Wyoming for $8000 and had intended that it be another stopping point for pioneers traveling west. But when they heard that the invading US Army planned to stop there, they burned Fort Bridger to the ground except for two small enclosures. When the army arrived, they were disappointed, but were forced to spend the winter there. When Spring arrived, the soldiers were further delayed by Mormons who dug large trenches in the ground and rolled boulders into the paths. George did not leave a record of what part he played in this disruption. As the army approached the valley, Brigham Young gave instructions to insure there would be no confrontation. Although the Saints had spent ten years in building a foundation for the Salt Lake Temple, the entire area was covered with earth and then plowed to hide any trace of building. All families in Salt Lake City and north including Kaysville were asked to abandon their homes and move to Provo or Spanish Fork. Elias’s mother and her two smallest children, aged six and three, rode in the wagon. Ten-year-old Joshua drove the wagon. Father Elias walked, herding all of their cattle while 13-year-old Caroline walked and took care of their turkeys. Young Elias Junior, age 15, was given responsibility for the sheep. They tied their pig to the wagon, and their dog, Venter, remained behind. She was never seen again. The army arrived peacefully in the valley and there was no conflict. They moved through the city and established an army post west of town which they called Camp Floyd. The Adams family returned to their home in the fall and resumed their farming activities. The army remained in Utah until the outbreak of the Civil War, when the post was abandoned. Instead of moving the provision of Camp Floyd back East, everything was sold to members of the church at greatly reduced prices. By 1863, Elias was twenty years old, and he selected one of the girls in Kaysville to be his wife. Her name was Elizabeth Rose Harris, daughter of Isaac Harris and Esther Bowering Harris. He moved to the town of Layton, which was near Kaysvillle, and there he built a magnificent brick home, the first in the area. It had a complete basement, and also had two floors above so there would be plenty of room. As the railroad across the nation was being built in 1869, the Union Pacific Railroad enlisted the support of church members to help them construct the railway through Weber Canyon. Elias, now 26 years old, helped to lay the tracks and earn money for his family. With his wife Elizabeth, they gave birth to ten children. In 1888, when Elizabeth died, he lived with his children until he married Lettie Bennett, also of Layton. With her he had an additional three children. One day, Elias hitched up his team of little brown mares and started down the road toward Layton. Something frightened the team, and they ran away. About a mile down the road the path made a sharp turn and the buggy tipped over, throwing Elias over a fence and into a field. He could not move, but waited there until he was discovered. It was unusual for this strong man of age sixty-five to suddenly be unable to move. He recovered sufficiently to get around again, but was slow with his movements and his memory seemed to have been affected. He lived four years after the accident. He died August 29, 1912 and was buried in the Layton cemetery.

short bio of Elizabeth Rose Harris

Contributor: koand Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Elizabeth Rose Harris 1845 - 1888 The only member of the Great Great Great Generation who came from Wales was Elizabeth Rose Harris, who eventually emigrated to the United States, crossed the plains, and married Elias Adams, Jr. Elizabeth was born August 10, 1845 at the Birch Grove Inn in Whitechurch, Wales. Her father was Isaac Harris and her mother was Esther Ellen Bowering. Her parents were married in Wales on Christmas Day, 1833. Their first child, James, did not live, but they had a daughter, Hannah, born in 1836, and a son, William, born in 1839. Elizabeth Rose was their third living child, born in 1845. It is not clear how the family first came in contact with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but the mother, Esther Ellen Bowering Harris was baptized on November 20, 1849, and the father, Isaac, was baptized eight weeks later on January 17, 1850. They began preparing immediately for emigrating to America, although they were quite poor. Esther’s mother (and Elizabeth’s grandmother) was Hannah Riden Bowering. She owned a restaurant and inn, and a small store which she operated successfully and it brought in a good living for her. She was a widow who had taken the three orphaned children of her sister, Elizabeth Evans, to raise. When she realized her daughter’s desire to go to the United States, she offered to help. They decided that Elizabeth’s father, Isaac Harris, and his fourteen-year-old son, William would leave Wales some time before the rest of the family. They are listed as passengers on the ship Badger which left Liverpool in 1850. Apparently they were going first to prepare the way for the rest of the family. It is not clear what happened to Isaac and William once they arrived in New Orleans. Elizabeth’s granddaughter recorded that they journeyed to Utah and then returned to New Orleans, but there is no record of them on any Mormon Pioneer Company. Back in Wales, Esther was filled with worries about her husband. She was waiting for him to send money back to Wales so the rest of the family could immigrate. Weeks turned into months, and months turned into years, and there still was no money from Isaac. After three years, in 1853, she decided she would ask her mother for money so she could go to America. Grandmother agreed, and said she would go with them along with the three Evans children, Henry, Ada, and Elizabeth. Grandmother Bowering sold her Inn and put her most precious possessions in a large chest to bring with her. She also brought most of the dry goods and merchandise from her store which she packed in her shipping chest. The immigrants boarded the ship Jersey in Liverpool on February 5, 1853. Elizabeth Rose was just seven years old and certainly must have been excited and nervous about the long journey. Besides her mother Esther and her grandmother Hannah, they were also accompanied by her sister, also named Hannah who was sixteen years old, and her two brothers Jabez, age ten, and Joshua, age four. Also coming were the three Evans children which Grandmother Hannan had adopted. But Elizabeth Rose hoped that she would soon see her father and older brother once more. Under the direction of Elder Halliday, the boat sailed down the Mersey River with 314 Latter-day Saints, and out into the Atlantic Ocean. Soon the tossing of the ocean began to make everyone nauseous. Passengers spent much of their time standing on the deck of the ship, holding onto the rail as their stomachs emptied into the ocean. Aside from that, there was little difficulty during the seven weeks they sent crossing the Atlantic. The sailing vessel moved into the Mississippi channel and spent several days moving through the waters until they reached the city of New Orleans. The captain of the ship, Captain Day, was so impressed with the behavior of the Saints along the way he gave Elder Halliday all of the food aboard the ship which had not been consumed during the journey and asked him to distribute it to the passengers. Elizabeth’s granddaughter recorded that when the father, Isaac, met his family in New Orleans, the mother, Esther Ellen was upset. She wanted nothing more to do with Isaac, and said she was going on without him. In desperation, Isaac kidnaped Elizabeth, now eight years old, and hid her. After several days, Esther and the New Orleans police discovered her and she was returned to her mother and grandmother and the rest of the children. Isaac did not continue with the rest of the family and it is unknown what happened to him after that. They transferred to a river boat for the journey up the Mississippi to St. Louis. There, they made another transfer to a boat which would take them further up the river to Keokuk. They remained in Keokuk in tents for several weeks before they headed across Iowa in wagons headed for Kanesville. In Keokuk, Grandmother Bowering was married to Ebenezer Williams. They waited in Kanesville until the group was prepared for crossing the plains. They traveled with the Claudius V. Spencer wagon company which crossed the Missouri River on June 3, 1853. There were 250 members of the pioneer company in about 40 wagons. Eight-year-old Elizabeth must certainly have been excited to begin the journey, but she could not have understood the difficulties the train would encounter during the next four months. While crossing the plains, the company encountered Indians and buffalo, and Elizabeth said there were many snakes which frightened her. Indians would frequently come to the camp soliciting food, and to prevent trouble, the pioneers would usually offer some peace offering. On one occasion there was a buffalo stampede which terrified her. She walked most of the journey, and she said the days were always hot. At last, at the end of September, they reached the Salt Lake Valley. With money from Grandmother Hannah, Elizabeth had purchased a three-room home in Kaysville, north of Salt Lake, and the family moved in. Grandmother Hannah’s chest filled with merchandise from England provided them with many things they needed, and occasionally Grandmother’s new husband, Ebenezer, would take some of the things to town and peddle them to get the money they needed. At the time, Kaysville was a very small but beautiful place to live. A school had been constructed on the mountain road, and Mrs. Raymond was the teacher. Mrs. Raymond asked Elizabeth Rose to take care of her own children while she was teaching, and she was paid $1.50 per week during the school year. It was here that she met Elias Adams, Jr, and when she was eighteen years old, on November 29, 1863, she and Elias were married. He was twenty years old, and was the son of Elias Adams, Sr. and Melinda Railey. The senior Elias had established a brick yard in Kaysville, but his son, Elias Jr. was a sheepman and farmer. At first, the young married couple lived with the Senior Elias Adams family, but they later moved to Layton, a few miles north of Kaysville, where Elias had built a large brick home for them, the first brick home in Layton. There were two rooms above the ground and a complete basement. Two years later on January 7, 1865, Elias and Elizabeth were sealed in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Elizabeth became the mother of ten children, Esther in 1865, Elizabeth in 1868, Dennis Elias in 1870, Ella Rose in 1871, Joshua in 1874, Rufus in 1877, John Hyrum in 1879, George in 1881, Jabez in 1884, and Catherine in 1887. Elizabeth died in 1888 in Layton at the age of 43.

Life timeline of Elias Adams

Elias Adams was born in 1843
Elias Adams was 16 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Elias Adams was 18 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Elias Adams was 31 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Elias Adams was 46 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
Elias Adams was 52 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Elias Adams was 60 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Elias Adams died in 1912 at the age of 69
Grave record for Elias Adams (1843 - 1912), BillionGraves Record 3498361 Kaysville, Davis, Utah, United States