Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman)

7 Mar 1902 - 26 Jul 2001


Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman)

7 Mar 1902 - 26 Jul 2001
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Eleda Alberta Eastman was born March 7, 1902 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah to Alberto Lincoln Eastman and Mary Train McDonald Eastman. She was the 5th girl in a family of two brothers and 6 sisters. Our house was neat having 7 rooms and a well room attached to a breeze way and coal room. The plan of i
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman)


American Fork Cemetery

601-699 Alpine Hwy
American Fork, Utah, Utah
United States


In Loving Memory


October 15, 2014


June 26, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Eleda...

We found more records about Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman).

Grave Site of Eleda


Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) is buried in the American Fork Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life History

Contributor: MargieW Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Eleda Alberta Eastman was born March 7, 1902 in Woodruff, Rich Co., Utah to Alberto Lincoln Eastman and Mary Train McDonald Eastman. She was the 5th girl in a family of two brothers and 6 sisters. Our house was neat having 7 rooms and a well room attached to a breeze way and coal room. The plan of it was a typical state of Maine style – as far as I know we had the only fire place. Every fall our bedroom was thoroughly cleaned after the grain was thrashed and we had clean sweet smelling straw. After a year of use it was almost dust. Our beds were taken out on the lawn and cleaned and the ticks were filled with new straw. Our home made carpet was also removed and hung on the clothesline. We would beat the dust from it with brooms. The old straw was removed from the floor, the floor scrubbed and new straw was put down. Then the cleaned carpet was put over the new straw and tacked down. Then our ticks filled with new straw and a feather tick on top. Besse and I would have to be boosted up on our beds until the straw settled down some. Everything smelled and felt so clean and warm. When we moved to Randoph our straw and feather ticks disappeared. We now had cotton filled mattresses that were not as good. My sister Audrey, just older than me, died before I was born. We five girls had a large bedroom with 2 full beds and a single bed. I slept with Crystal. Bessie slept with Lessie. Ava had the single bed. Later after Lessie got married, the living room or parlor was divided and Crystal and Ava had that room. Dad bought a folding bed for them. We sure liked this pretty piece of furniture. I wish I had a picture of it. When folded up it had a full length mirror on the top a small mirror in the center and we kept pictures of our family. I was quite a tom-boy. My dad called me just Leda but later nick-named me Lee. I rode horses and calves with the neighbor boys. One summer I drove in the buggy to Lake Town, Utah – by Bear Lake. We went in the store owned by a Mr. Robinson. Dad asked me what I wanted. I said a pair of overalls with white stars like Mr. Robinson was wearing. Oh, I had the best summer wearing these overalls – but Mama didn’t approve; they disappeared before the next summer. But by that time I didn’t want to ride calves and get my legs skinned when the calves got too close to the corral bars. I loved to go to Aunt Net’s (Janet Dean) house. She always had time for me. When the older kids were playing hide the thimble they said I wasn’t big enough to play as I couldn’t hide the thimble, but she always talked them into it and she hid the thimble then sat down and started knitting, so they never knew. Aunt Net let us slide down the banister. We didn’t have an upstairs at our house. When she took hot bread out of the oven she would break it in pieces hot and put on butter. We’d sit on the stair steps and eat it. My dear mother was very proper and our bread had to be cool enough to cut or slice. This reminds me of how hungry I got after school. We’d get a thick slice of bread and dip it in the thick cream on the milk pans in a shelved screen cupboard in our cool well room. Oh, yes – we sprinkled sugar on the cream. One year Dad brought home some wine red velvet and Mama made Bess and I dresses trimmed in gold braid and buttons. Dad liked blue and I didn’t so I had asked him not to bring blue. Mama was a very good seamstress. There were no patterns in those days and we would find in a catalog what we wanted and she just cut it out. I had a best friend, Vera McKinnon who lived on the top corner of our block. Her father was Bishop Peter McKinnon and her dear sweet mother, Louie Call. We were 10 years old. Vera was the oldest with 4 or maybe 5 younger – so she and I would take care of them when her parents went to conference in Salt Lake. Of course my mama was close. It was always fun, but Vera said she was going to be an old maid school teacher, which she almost was. But she did marry Eddie Kennedy and had Louise. I wanted a dozen kids, but I only got 6 of the most wonderful kids in the world. I remember when Grandpa John Wilson McDonald came from Smithfield to Woodruff. My sister Lessie was married and lived in a house on the same block. She fixed up an outside room for Grandpa. I remember he was cross most of the time and if we got noisy he hit us on the head with his cane. I was 12 when we moved to Randolph. I went in buggy rides with LeRoy Tingey and Boyd Cornia. Crystal was in nurses training at the Dee Hospital in Ogden and Ava was married. I liked Randolph and the people. My dear little mama didn’t like it for some reason. We moved to Evanston after 2 years. I first saw Howard in Randolph but he was 4 years older and couldn’t see me the first year. But when we moved to Evanston he drove us in his car. Then he would come and see us once in a while. He had not started to work at the railroad and he stayed at his sister Blanche Smith’s home. He went to Logan to school. World War I came, they turned the school into barracks and he trained for the army there. He was discharged fall of 1918. He moved to Ogden with his mother, sister, Ruth, and brother, Jim. They went to school. Howard went to work in Ogden Railroad shops. I went to Ogden a few times to see them. Crystal had graduated from Thomas Dee Hospital in Ogden as an R.N. and was in the service as a Red Cross nurse during World War I. I met new friends in Evanston. It seems like it was always easy for me to make friends. Four of us girls were always together. On the same street and block was (Toots) Olivie Blackham. One time after school we took her white laced shoes to have the heels repaired. As we were going out the door I said, “He is new and doesn’t know you.” So she shouted her name – Blackham – and when we went to get the shoes, he had blackened them. Another girl was Thelma Murray. She wrote the neatest. I can still see her beautiful handwriting. Another was Clara Horrocks, whose mother was always ready and willing to chaperone we four girls to dances. One time I went to a dance but hadn’t told my parents. Mother had Dad go and check on me. I saw him standing by the entrance and waved at him as I went by. He waved and smiled. When he went home he told Mama he couldn’t bring me home as I was having too good of a time. Toot’s family was great friendly people, including her oldest redheaded sister, Lydia, who worked at a millinery and women’s clothes store for a Mrs. Code. I worked here after school and Saturdays. I addressed the envelopes when the bills were mailed out, but only a few months. A woman there made hats. Everyone wore hats. She made me a hat. Oh, I sure thought that was something. She made wire frames and covered them with different materials and flowers and ribbons. I had a date to the Prom with Frank Brown, but no dress. Mama was going to make me one, but one day after school Toots and I went to a store and tried on formals. Her sister helped Toots choose one and I tried on several, but one I really liked – yellow chiffon. They told me I could take it home on approval. My bedroom was on the front of the house so I came in and slid it under the bed. At dinner I told them about Toots getting a formal, then hurried and said I had brought one home on approval. Dad said, “Try it on and let us see.” He approved but Mama was upset at the price. I did keep the dress and had it on for my 16 year old picture. I dated other boys that winter as Howard was in the Army at Logan. Fred Baden, and once a Myers that married Mary Foux, but it was his brother Henry I wanted to date but never did. We had a new teacher who was mean. If one of the boys talked, he would sneak up behind him and pull him out of his seat on to the floor. One time I was sitting on one leg with my foot out to the aisle. He came by with a big ruler and hit the sole of my shoe very hard. Oh, it made me so mad. I may be able to remember his name. I went to Bear Lake one summer with Mother Spencer, Howard and Ruth. Some young people were there from Logan – a girl Rene Lewis and Leland Stockdale. This was the summer that Howard and Leland (Lee) went to AC at Logan to school. I wrote to both of them, not realizing all mail was together so both saw my letters. Howard was discharged and went to Ogden with Mother Spencer, Ruth, and Jim. They were in school and Howard went to work in the railroad shops. He moved back to Evanston. We dated steady. June 5, 1919 we eloped to Kemmerer, Wyoming and were married by a man named Christmas. We came back to Evanston and got an apartment. My parents were very upset at me eloping. From her life sketch: She saw her first automobile in her Dad’s blacksmith shop having a broken axle fixed. They were told to stay away from it but of course we had to investigate it. She saw the railroad spread its tentacles into every rural area of the nation and then witnessed its withdrawal from these same rural areas. She witnessed the coming of the airplane and the landing on the moon. She shared the home experiences of two World Wars and waited anxiously for her sons to return safely home from the second one. Her life span covered the industrial age. Electricity and its many uses were part of her experience. She saw the media progress from the crystal radio set to the modern miracles of telephone, telegraph, television, and computer – email and internet. On June 5, 1919 she married Howard Harris Spencer in Kemmerer, Wyoming. That marriage was solemnized by ordinances in the Logan Temple. Four boys and two girls were born to this union. Frank was born May 29, 1920, John Bert born November 20, 1922 and died July 30, 1923. Earl (Bud) was born May 15, 1924. Her fourth son, Dale Ray was born October 21, 1925. Elizabeth Lucille (Betty Lou) was born June 5, 1927 and Joan was born November 14, 1929 right after the stock market crash. In 1923 they moved to Pocatello, Idaho where Howard was employed with the Union Pacific Railroad as a machinist. Eleda was a life-long member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and was faithful to her church to the time of her passing. She was a Visiting Teacher for 75 years and served in Primary and Relief Society in Ward and Stake. She was a member of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Desert Rose Camp, Pocatello, Idaho, and in recent years has been numbered among the last true daughters of a pioneer. In April 1953, her marriage to Howard ended in divorce. He passed away in 1955. On September 18, 1954, she married Morris Stacy. Her family was most important to her and with this marriage she felt she had gained two more daughters. His family had gained a second mother and a grandmother for his grandchildren. The two families were very accepting of each other and have been additionally blessed through that association. She often described her life with Morris as wonderful. With him she had many varied experiences that I often wondered how she adapted so well to trips to the cattle ranch, round ups in Copper Basin. Upon reading her Life Story I realized that it was in large part due to the experiences she had in rural Utah with her Dad. She was part “tom-boy” and seemed happy when she was with her dad in his blacksmith shop and in the rural experiences of her youth. She went to the cattle round-up for several years and helped cook for some 30-50 cowboys three meals each day for a week. In talking with the women she worked with they said she was friendly and hard-working. She taught them much about cooking on the old black cook stove and how to make pie crust. They still use her pie crust recipe today. She was pressured to ride one of the horse’s part way home and got dumped. She was a good sport and respected for her contribution of help and friendship. She was a grandmother to all the children of the ranch families. Morris Stacy died January 15, 1965. She leaves a fabulous heritage for her descendants. She was the last surviving member of her family. Eleda was preceded in death by her two husbands; two sons, John Bert and Dale Ray Spencer; a daughter-in-law Elizabeth Robb Spencer (Betsey) and a son-in-law Lynn Stoddard. She is survived by two sons, Frank Spencer of Reno, Nevada; Earl (Bud) Eastman Spencer (spouse – Norma Richards) of Bountiful, Utah; a daughter-in-law- Joy Hodkins Spencer Johnson of Columbia, Mo; two daughters: Betty Lu Stoddard of Hampton, Va; JoAn (Gene) Bryan of American Fork, Utah; two step-daughters, Arlene Stacy (Werner) Erickson and Nancy Roskelley both of Pocatello, Idaho; 23 grandchildren; 66-79 great-grandchildren; and 23 great-great grandchildren. Services were held July 31, 2001 at 11:00 am at Anderson & Sons Mortuary.

Life timeline of Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman)

Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was born on 7 Mar 1902
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 12 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 28 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 29 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 39 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 56 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 67 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 75 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 88 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) was 92 years old when The Rwandan genocide begins when the aircraft carrying Rwandan president Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian president Cyprien Ntaryamira is shot down. The Rwandan genocide, also known as the genocide against the Tutsi, was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority government. An estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed during the 100-day period from 7 April to mid-July 1994, constituting as many as 70% of the Tutsi population. Additionally, 30% of the Pygmy Batwa were killed. The genocide and widespread slaughter of Rwandans ended when the Tutsi-backed and heavily armed Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) led by Paul Kagame took control of the country. An estimated 2,000,000 Rwandans, mostly Hutus, were displaced and became refugees.
See More
Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) died on 26 Jul 2001 at the age of 99
Grave record for Eleda Spencer Stacy (Eastman) (7 Mar 1902 - 26 Jul 2001), BillionGraves Record 11027000 American Fork, Utah, Utah, United States