Donald Theone Adams

4 Apr 1907 - 5 Feb 1991

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Donald Theone Adams

4 Apr 1907 - 5 Feb 1991
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Donald Theone Adams (1907-1991) Interviewee: Donald T. Adams Interviewer: Richard Swanson Subject: Early Monticello settlement and development Place: Monticello, Utah S: This is an interview with Donald Adams for Charles Redd Center for Western Studies and the Utah State Historical Society Southeast

Life Information

Donald Theone Adams


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States

Todd Millett

May 22, 2019

Todd Millett

May 22, 2019

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Donald Theone


Donald Theone Adams is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Donald Theone Adams (1907-1991)

Contributor: Todd Millett Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Donald Theone Adams (1907-1991) Interviewee: Donald T. Adams Interviewer: Richard Swanson Subject: Early Monticello settlement and development Place: Monticello, Utah S: This is an interview with Donald Adams for Charles Redd Center for Western Studies and the Utah State Historical Society Southeastern Utah Oral History Project by Richard Swanson on August 3, 1973, at Mr. Adams' residence, 2563 Maywood Drive, Salt Lake City. The time is approximately 7:00 p.m. Mr. Adams, could you tell me your earliest recollection of life in Monticello? A: My name is Donald T. Adams. My family calls me Donald; most of my friends call me Don. I was born in Monticello, Utah, on April 4, 1907. I lived there most of my life. My father was George A. Adams. He was born in Paragonah, Utah, on December 9, 1864. My mother was born at Parowan, Utah, two years later. They were married in 1885 and were soon called to San Juan County by the President of the LDS Church to settle Bluff, Utah. My parents came through Dandy crossing of the Colorado River, not through the Hole-in-the-Rock, and settled in Bluff with one of my father's brothers. Later my grandfather was called to set up a co-op store. He brought with him my father's mother and his brothers. My father, after he was established in Bluff, moved to Verdure, Utah, which was a little green spot on the southeast part of the Blue Mountain about six miles south of where Monticello now stands. He and a few other residents of Bluff built homes and grew crops. During the summer time the family milked cows there and, in the wintertime, they would return to Bluff. Later on it was determined to build a community in Monticello and my father was asked to move there from Verdure which he did in 1886. He filed a homestead at Verdure and acquired irrigated and dry farm land in the vicinity. Since that time that land has been known as the George Adams ranch. I have been told that I was born in a log cabin in Monticello. A year after I was born my father moved into a big two room brick house which is still standing. My brother who is two years younger than I, was born in that home. My earliest years were spent working on the ranch at Verdure, putting up hay and plowing the fields. In the summertime even my mother lived on the ranch. On Sundays and Primary days we would get a horse and a buggy and drive to Monticello to go to church. At that time my father was bishop of the ward and we always entertained the apostles and the visiting Mormon Church General Authorities who come into that country. It seemed like they always stayed at our home. In the wintertime we stayed in Monticello. When I was young I remember my father getting me out of bed to start wood fires in the house the first thing in the morning. Then we would go to school and come home in the afternoon and carry in the wood from the woodpile to the house so there would be wood to keep the fires burning at night. When I got a little bit bigger, my job was to milk the cows in the morning and in the evening and bring the milk into the house and help Mother do the work. We went to school in a little brick two-room school house across the street and a block west of where we lived. I went there until I was in the seventh grade. We had various teachers who gave us all the school that was available at the time when I was in the area. After I finished the eighth grade I went to Salt Lake City where I attended the old LDS High School. In the wintertime until about the year 1925, we would always go out to the ranch on sleighs and ride the horses. I remember one of the first Ford cars to ever come into the area was owned by my uncle, Frank Halls. I was only about six years old and Uncle Frank would let me sit on his lap and steer that car. It was quite a thrill. It wasn't long until my father had a car and I remember riding with him. The roads were very rough and weren't graded. I remember going out to the ranch in the car. We came up to the gate and my father hollered, "Whoa," The car wouldn't stop so we went right through the gate,. I remember another time going to Conference in Blanding with Father. Brother Charles Nibley of Salt Lake was with us. A big rain storm had come up on our way back to Monticello. The roads were slick and Father didn't have the reputation of being a good driver. Many times the car slipped off the road. By the time we got about four miles from home Brother Nibley decided that he had had enough of that kind of driving. He got out and walked the rest of the way to Monticello. I went to high school in Salt Lake for two years, stayed out of school for a year and finally graduated in Midwest, Wyoming where I was staying with my sister. I went to work in the oil fields then. I had played basketball for the high school and I was offered a good job if I would play for the company team. It was quite a lot of money it seemed to me. I worked for about fifteen days. Father wrote and said that they needed someone on the farm and I had better come home. My brother-in-law said that no man was a man unless he rode the freight trains and hoboed his way. So I decided that I had better be a man. I took my paycheck, shipped my bags to Denver and my brother-in-law and my sister took me from Midwest to Casper. When the first big passenger train came along about six in the evening, I finally got on the those rods and rode until I came to Glenrock, Wyoming. From playing basketball I knew all these little towns very well. It was there that the conductor kicked me off. I decided that was just part of the way of hoboing. I waited until the next freight came, caught it and rode to Sunrise, Wyoming where I had breakfast with the hobos who were there. Just then a train load of iron ore came along on its way to the steel mill at Pueblo. I got on and rode all day and all night and got all in Denver. Because of the ore all my skin and my clothes were red. I decided that if I were ever going to be a man, I was one of then; I was through with hoboing. I got a hotel room, cleaned up, bought a ticket to Thompson Springs and went home to work on the farm. I wanted to go to school to study law at the University of Utah, but the farmers were having a pretty tough time financially. Father said that I could have all the money I got from raising oats. We put in two or three hundred acres of the most beautiful oats that year. Finally it was ripe and we were ready to go out and cut and bind it when along came the biggest hail storm that I have ever seen. It just ripped the oats down. I thought that ended my finances for going to school that year. But my mother and my sisters put up a little money, I came to Salt Lake and found a job and that way I went to school. I worked for the next three years and graduated from law school two years later, right in the middle of the Depression. When I was in high school there were only about five or six hundred people in Monticello. Before there were cars in the area, the mail was brought in by freight wagons and the passengers were brought in by buggy. Later the Moab Garage Company had a passenger service from Thompson to Monticello that ran every day or every other day. Because of the poor roads it wasn't very certain whether they could get through on time or not. In the wintertime the road crew would push the snow off the roads with big "V" shaped plows. I remember one year my dad was really put out that they had scrapped too much snow off the road to the south of Monticello, toward our ranch. The snow had melted on the south slope so much that we couldn't use sleighs to haul the grain in from the ranch. Later when the roads were graded and built up, in the winter the snow was pushed off completely and sleighing was done away with except on ski runs. Road development really spoiled sleighing. In those days all planting was done with horses, usually with a sulky plow. We used two plows with six head of horses pulling the plow and three horses on a hand plow. Where we had six head the driver would ride on the plow horses and those who were walking with the hand plow would change off with the other driver. Harvesting was done with binders and later headers. A thrashing crew of maybe twenty or thirty men would come in after the grain was cut and stacked and work for two or three days trashing the grain that had taken us thirty days to cut and stack. It was quite an organization of resources. But by the Depression combines and small tractors were replacing the work horse. We haven't had a work horse on the "George Adams Ranch" for thirty years except during the winter months when we have used them to get around in the deep snow. After World War One we had what we called the great farmer's depression. All of the cattlemen went broke and lost most of their cattle. The farmers and stockmen were also plagued with droughts that meant no water or feed even if the prices were good. Later when they got trucks and good roads, drought was less of a problem; hay and feed could be brought to thirsty and starving livestock. Another problem was bad weather. I remember a big snowstorm in November, 1919, that killed thousands of cattle because the snow was so deep that the cattle couldn't dig down to the grass. I understand that the last winter it was almost as bad in some parts of the area. Today with Caterpillars, trails can be opened so that there isn't the major loss like there use to be to livestock on the open range. Also after World War One the government passed a law allowing that all those who had served in the army could file on homestead land with the time they spent in the army counting toward the amount of time they had to live on the land to prove up on it which was the procedure of procuring title. Between 1918 and 1921 nearly all the better land in San Juan was homesteaded. However, the soldier boys just obtained title to the land; they weren't farmers. When the Depression came in the early 1930's they were unable to pay their taxes and vacated the land. The land was then sold for delinquent taxes for a dollar an acre to livestock men for grazing land. This is where most of today's "tax title" land came from. In San Juan there has been certainly a lot of boom and bust. One thing that raised the hopes of the people in 1920 was the oat crop that was raised on Summit Point. It won the national prize for the greatest amount of oats raised any place in the United States. That brought a lot of attention to the country and a lot of speculation. But the crop was only the result of a lot of rain falling that particular year on that piece of land. There were also mining booms such as the vanadium boom in 1918 or 1920. Before that, it was gold along the San Juan River. The masons and the carpenters who built the old rack houses in Bluff came into the area because of gold fever. They didn't find any big deposits and they didn't add too much to the permanent development of the country, but they left a lot of money. With the Depression things were really down in the dumps. I guess it was the government dole to a certain extent that kept part of the people alive although most of the residents had their homes, their ranches and their livestock. Cash was hard to get. It was then that Charles Redd, being farsighted and being able to borrow a little money, bought land in Colorado and elsewhere when it was cheap. Of course, he wasn't the only person to buy land then; other Utahns bought land in Colorado like Judge Hughes and also a lot of Colorado people. But when the Colorado people came into Utah to buy land, the county commissioners as I remember wouldn't (this needs to be check for accuracy would or wouldn't) sell land to them. Judge Hughes was an attorney and a large sheep man. I think he is dead now. But he did the same thing that Charlie did or Charlie did the same thing he did. I don't know who was first. A lot of big outfits were built then as a result of the unfortunate circumstances of others. In the 1940's a lot of Texas people came to San Juan County to explore for oil. They spent a lot of money, drilled several wells and finally located an oil field south of Bluff. The seismograph crew that found that field were staying in my office at the time and first told me they had good readings down there. But that didn't seem to mean a whole lot. They just happened to be working in that area and I was working with some other people at the time. The vanadium people had been in the area all during the war. The Defense Plant Corporation built the mill in Monticello, bought new ore and processed the tailings from earlier vanadium mill sites in the area. They had one secret group, kind of like the CIA, who went all over the country trying to locate anything radioactive. Sometimes these fellows would come by my house. One time Harry Goulding from Monument Valley who was a friend of mine had tried to get the Navajos to look for this yellow uranium. He had shown them a piece of ore and told them it was hot stuff, to go find some. These fellows had heard that Harry had been talking too much about uranium. So when Harry was at our place the Bureau of Investigation came there looking for him. He had been leaking confidential information (laughter). He admitted he had told the Indians but he said that that was the only way he knew to get them to look around for uranium. During the war the miners were paid for the vanadium but not for the uranium. A law suit was brought in Denver against Union Carbide and Vanadium Corporation of America to recover the money owed the miners. But all of a sudden it was squelched and finally dismissed on the grounds that it would have been a violation of national security. After the war it was reactivated and the companies were sued for violation of the anti-trust laws. They were required to pay triple damages to all the miners who had sold them ore. Sometimes a lot of things are hidden away under national security and I guess that is proper at times. I guess that is about all I can tell you. S: Could I ask a few questions? Why was your father called San Juan? A: He was just to settle the country, really to squelch the Indians and keep them from coming over to his side of the river. They were carrying out acts of violence on many of the inhabitants. The settlers were to set us a barricade against them and to be their friends. S: What can you tell me about Posey? A: I knew Posey, although he was a little before my time. I had one personal experience with him. My dad had given me a kind of bucking horse. I got on him out behind our house and he started to buck. But I rode him all right. Posey was there and said, "you pretty good rider." Other than that I don't know too much about him, I just knew him as a little Indian. Judge Keller knows about him. Have you interviewed Judge Keller? S: I am not sure if he has been interviewed or not. A; Judge Keller and I were district attorneys and he was the district judge. He was county attorney before I was. Yes, I knew Poke and Posey. S: Did Indians ever visit your cabin? A: Yes, they worked for us all the time. They would always come around wanting usually food and then everything else. My folks would usually find something for them to do. We kids were glad to have them hoe the weeds for our parents so that we wouldn't have to do it. We thought it was better for them to work. But that was the general policy of the pioneers: to feed them, rather than fight them. They got along with them most of the time. S: What was the relationship between the local people and the cattlemen or the outlaws or later the oil explorers? A: The cowboys were in Monticello before the Mormons came. They thought the Mormons were infringing. When the Mormons set up a county government with my dad as the first county assessor and started to collect taxes on cattle, they didn't like it. The cowboys liked to drink and the Mormons weren't suppose to. But the cowboys would tell stories about the Mormons stealing whiskey and getting as drunk as they were. (Laughter) Some were good fellows and some were bad. The Carlisles were English and not Mormons. A little friction developed. Outlaws like Butch Cassidy came through that wild country after robbing a bank. Others would steal horses and come into the area but they weren't part of the regular cow outfits which came later. S: Did mining fever grab the people of Monticello during the uranium boom of the 1950's? A: I did a lot of them. But the natives didn't give up their businesses like the people who came in. They would prospect in their spare time. Many of these people were in the mining business for years before the boom ever came. They knew what to look for; these outsiders didn't. A lot of people would find a rich sample and then peddle it as soon as possible as a rich claim. S: Did you father ever mention any experiences on his journey down to Bluff? A: He had a large family and I was the next to the last. I have heard him tell about it but not in detail. S: What can you recall about building the house in Monticello? A: It is still about the same as when it was built except when my wife and I bought it we tore down the wooden porch that use to be all the way around it. When my mother lived there we closed off the upstairs and we lived there. Because the downstairs was a little too small without the upstairs, we added another couple of rooms on the west side. Now it is kind of a duplex. S: Was life difficult in Monticello? A: I guess the Bluff Mission was difficult. Even the church leaders decided it was difficult because the finally released all of those that were called so that they could go back home. A lot of them did move on. S: Why did some stay? A: Because they were involved in the cattle business and I guess they didn't have anyplace else to go. Everything that they had put work into was right there. S: Why did you go back to Monticello after you graduated from law school? A: I had worked hard going through law school with my job on the side. I had a little stomach trouble and I went back and was elected county attorney during prohibition days. Then I was elected district attorney. S: Were there more opportunities there than in Salt Lake? A: No one seemed to have a job. The Depression was a pretty gloomy time. I remember one time I was subpoenaed to go to Ogden. When I got up there they had the Bank Holiday and I couldn't get any money. My government voucher was the only thing that I could travel on. People were lined up for blocks and blocks trying to get every penny they could out of the banks before they closed their doors like for instance the Deseret National in Salt Lake. It if hadn't been for First Security Bank coming in and taking over a lot of the others would have too. S: Were the people in Monticello as hard hit by the Depression as the urbanites of Ogden and Salt Lake City? A: Yes, they didn't have anything. S: Were they able to raise their own food? A: Yes. For a long while I got a little work in the county, but the county couldn't even pay my salary. They would give me a warrant that the banks would take on a discount. S: What experiences stand out in your mind when you worked as the county attorney? A: I was going day and night in these bootleg days. I went out with the sheriff looking for stills when I was county attorney. When we found them we would dump the stuff out and burn them up. They were located in the canyons. There weren't many roads like there are now. To get into Utah you had to go through Colorado and then back in. The bootleggers were mostly Colorado people that would come into Utah. There wouldn't have been any good Utah people doing that, I am sure. (laughter) There might be some Utah people who went into Colorado (laughter) but no good Utah people did that in Utah. We had lots of horse thieves. I had a fellow in here one time that I felt sorry for. I took him out on the ranch on probation and gave him a job. But he stole one of the horses off the ranch. S: Did he escape? A: Yes, but we got him back. S: That sounds like such an exciting era. A; I had my first case a few days after I was admitted to the bar but before I was the county prosecuting attorney. I defended a bootlegger from Colorado. I told him I wanted some money before I defended him. He said, "I haven't got any money right now but I'll get it for you." I said, "I'll take your car and your trailer over to the house and keep them until you get the money." He said that would be fine. They held the trial and found him guilty. Son of a gun, I guess he was. In a few days his wife came to me and said, "I can get the money now but I'll need the car to go there." I said, "All right, take the car but leave the trailer here." So she took the car, he broke out of jail and I didn't see them again. I kept the trailer and was using it when the authorities came and reclaimed it. He had stolen it too. (Laughter) They took away my first lawyer's fee. S: How well were attorneys accepted in Monticello? A: There has been a lot of attorneys there a few years before because there had been lots of crimes in that country. Everyone knew what an attorney was. Most of them left, however, when the Depression came. S: Do you recall high school experiences, coming up here to Salt Lake, that stand out in your mind? A: I went to the LDS high school where we always opened our theology class with prayer. To decide who was to give the prayer they would start at the first of the alphabet with the "A's" but it seemed like I was the one who was doing most of the praying. (laughter) S: What about your social life in high school? A: There wasn't much dating. It seems like they had afternoon dances and of course basketball which I was interested in along with football. S: Where did you first get interested in sports? A: In Monticello. S: What did people do in Monticello for recreation? A: I guess they did about what everyone did. They had Church dances or other dances or a play once in a while. Of course, there used to be a lot of sleigh-riding, skiing and bob-sleigh riding in the wintertime. I can barely remember one experience. My dad was always trying to keep his large family in line on the Sabbath. My one brother used to make these old racing cars called "bugs." He had an old Studebaker he had made over. I am told on Sunday he was out in his bug. One of my other brothers was driving my dad's Buick and another brother our old Ford. My first brother came along in his bug. Dad went out and stopped the bug and told him to get off the street; it was Sunday. Just then here came my second brother in the Buick. Dad came out, stopped him and told him that he shouldn't be riding on Sunday. Then here came my third brother driving the old Ford. Dad told him that wasn't right. Finally a little later, here I came on the little old mare of ours we called Spencer. I guess we did a little horseback riding on Sundays along with riding around in cars. S: Mr. Adams, do you recall the all-night dances in Monticello during the 1920's and 1930's? A: Yes, they were held but I was away to school a lot during my dancing days. It has been so long ago that I don't remember. (laugher) S: Were community and Church activities closely related? A: Oh yes. S: Did the Mutual Improvement Association supervise many of your activities? A: Yes. S: What Church experiences stand out in your mind? A: Oh, none especially. When Father was in the presidency of the stake I used to go with him to visit the various branches and wards. S: You mentioned that often General Authorities visited at your home. Do you recall any in particular? A: Heber J. Grant and I guess all the apostles at that time stayed there. S: It must have certainly been an exciting time in your home. A: We got quite used to them. S: What did your father do for a living? A: He was a farmer and stockman. S: You mentioned you had a particularly good year with the oats that the hail ruined. Did you have other crops as well as oats? A: Mostly wheat and some hay. My father also was engaged in the flour milling business. S: While attending law school you mentioned you were working. What were you doing? A: The first year I came to Salt Lake I drove a cab. Then I worked on sightseeing buses and then I drove a street car. This was during the school year. In the summer time I would go home. S: Was it unusual for a person from Monticello to come up here to high school? A: There wasn't any high school in Monticello. The young men either had to come up here or someplace else or not go to high school. A lot of them didn't go at all. S: Did you consider yourself an exception? A: No, not necessarily. I didn't even think about it; I just came. S: Was your family quite well-off in wheat and oat farming? A: He had had better times. In those years he didn't have bad health but it was a little more difficult at that time. S: How did the people live through the snowstorm of 1919? Was all of their means of support wiped out? Was there government or Church relief? A: No, not as such. There has always been a little Church relief from the fast offerings. People on the farms and in the country usually raised enough in the summertime and knew how to take care of vegetable to last them through the winter. S: During the Depression of the 1930's did people in Monticello support President Roosevelt's attempts at reform and relief? A: I and my family have been Democrats all our lives. I was involved in politics and always have been. I always more or less supported him verbally except when he tried to pack the Supreme Court. S: When the Second World War finally struck and stabilized the economy, it must have effected Monticello. Do you recall the effect of the war? A: We were all shocked, of course. I remember when Pearl Harbor was struck there was a great shock all over. There is no doubt about it. S: After the war had been underway for a year or so, did the town still lend full support to the war effort? A: Absolutely. I would say there was 99.9 percent support to the war. I was an appeal agent for the draft board and there were always a few that tired to keep away from being drafted. But the big majority, over 95 percent didn't oppose the war. After the way the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor there wasn't any one who opposed it. S: How did the war effect the town's economy or daily life? I guess a number of boys were drafted and sent off. Do you recall their names or any personal experiences? A: My wife's brother who had lived with us was a prisoner all during the war. He was based at Clark Field in the Philippines at the beginning of the war in the Pacific. S: Was the town deprived of certain necessities because of the war? A: We had rationing, of course, but I don't think it was effective. When price ceilings are put on, they were not ceilings. They generally become price floors. S: To conclude our interview could you tell me how you and your wife met? A: Her family had a store next to us. I have known her since I was five or six and she was three or four. When she was fourteen years old her mother died and her family moved to Ephraim and then later to Salt Lake where I knew her during high school. My brother married her aunt and I knew her father and brothers and the rest of the family very well. S: How many children do you have? A: We have two. We lost a son a few months ago. S: I am sorry. Well, thank you very much. I appreciate talking to you. I certainly did enjoy it. Following the oral Charlie Redd transcript: During the period around 1944, I was the District Attorney of the area which included five counties in South Eastern Utah. On the 8th day of December, 1945, I was in the District Court in Las Vegas, Nevada, to compel a witness to appear for the District Court of Grand County, Utah, in a criminal action. On the 9th day of December we were driving from Nevada in a car to Utah, we turned on the radio and we heard the report that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. My wife's brother, in July of that year, had enlisted in the U.S. Army and had been sent to Clark's Field in the Philippine Islands. He was moved to other islands and Japan where he died from starvation at about the time the war with Japan ended. After 8 years as District Attorney I ran for the Utah State Senate, I was elected and served for eight years in that body. When my Senate term was over I was appointed by Governor J. Bracken Lee as a member of the Utah State Commission of the National Commission of Uniform State Laws. I served from on several national conventions of Uniform State Law. One was held in Florida, one held in Philadelphia, Penn, one in Los Angeles, Calif, and one held in New York City, N.Y. I also attended a law convention in London England, there I attended a party given by Queen Elizabeth of England in the Queen's Garden at Buckingham Palace. A few years later at a convention of the American Lawyer Association, this was also attended by members of the British Legal Association which was held in Washington, D.C. in this Convention. I attended a garden party given by President Dwight D. Eisenhower at the White House in honor of the British Bar Association. In 1961 at the request of Governor George W. Clyde, I was appointed a member of the Utah State Tax Commission and a year later by Governor Calvin W. Rampton as Chairman of the Tax Commission. Four year later I was appointed as a member of the Utah State Public Service Commission. I retired from service and law practice in the year 1972. In the summer of 1974 I sold our home in Salt Lake City and moved to our home in Monticello where our daughter and grand children live. For the last ten years we have spent the winter months in Phoenix, Arizona, where we have a house trailer.

Life timeline of Donald Theone Adams

Donald Theone Adams was born on 4 Apr 1907
Donald Theone Adams was 7 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Donald Theone Adams was 22 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Donald Theone Adams was 32 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Donald Theone Adams was 33 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Donald Theone Adams was 51 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Donald Theone Adams was 58 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Donald Theone Adams was 66 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Donald Theone Adams was 83 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
Donald Theone Adams died on 5 Feb 1991 at the age of 83
Grave record for Donald Theone Adams (4 Apr 1907 - 5 Feb 1991), BillionGraves Record 31296476 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States