Don Sherwin Kent

4 Sep 1914 - 3 Jun 1962


Don Sherwin Kent

4 Sep 1914 - 3 Jun 1962
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Interview of Ella May Phillips Kent and Steven Don Kent By Daniel C. Kent On March 10, 1998 At 354 S Highway 36, Weston, Idaho (Ella’s Home) Daniel: Where were you born grandma? Ella: I was born in Dayton; here. D: Here in Dayton? E: Uh huh. D: And where were you born, Dad? Steven: I was born in P
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Don Sherwin Kent
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Don Sherwin Kent


Dayton Cemetery

Highway 36
Dayton, Franklin, Idaho
United States

Headstone Description

Children: Steven Don Philip Clair Marva Ann Klea


September 21, 2013


September 20, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Don Sherwin...

We found more records about Don Sherwin Kent.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Don Sherwin


Don Sherwin Kent is buried in the Dayton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Interview of Ella May Phillips Kent

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Interview of Ella May Phillips Kent and Steven Don Kent By Daniel C. Kent On March 10, 1998 At 354 S Highway 36, Weston, Idaho (Ella’s Home) Daniel: Where were you born grandma? Ella: I was born in Dayton; here. D: Here in Dayton? E: Uh huh. D: And where were you born, Dad? Steven: I was born in Preston. D: What schooling do you have? Where did you go to school? E: I went to school up here in Dayton and then I went over to Preston to high school and then to Utah State and then to Pocatello, ISU [Idaho State University]. D: What did you graduate in? E: I graduated in a major in elementary education and a minor in history. D: How about you dad? S: (Cough) I started school at Parker Elementary in Parker, ID and then to Dayton Elementary to 5th grade then went up to Clifton to 6th grade then to west Side Jr. High and graduated from West Side High School in May of 1964 then went to Weber State for one quarter in 1967 and then up to Ricks for fall of 67/68 school year then graduated from USU in child development in 1972. D: How did you meet Grandpa? E: First thing, he was on a mission with your dad. S: No… E: No err, Stanley and then he a… he came home and came up here to church and went to church with us. And that’s where I first met him. D: So then what? E: (chuckling) Well then most of our… I went over to Malad to teach school then we met at a dance over there, and then we just kinda… He went back up to Kilgore, ID to his ranch and we corresponded by letter and then when he’d come down why I went over to Malad to his folks. D: So uh, when did you finally decide to get married? E: I don’t know (chuckling) D: What was the biggest impression grandpa made on you when you were dating? E: Oh he had kind of a sense of humor. Then he was so good in Math; boy he could just bing, bing.. off out of his head. D: So uh… any funny stories? Any, any embarrassing moments? E: (chuckling) Well your grandpa was awfully ticklish and I didn’t know that he was ticklish and I’d put my hand down on his knee and he’d just die laughing, and I couldn’t figure out…. Come to find out he was ticklish; he couldn’t stand you to touch him anywhere! D: How about your first kiss then? How could he stand your fist kiss? E: (chuckling) That wasn’t until after we were married. (laughter) D: How did he ask you? E: Oh, I don’t even remember that now Danny. He just came with a ring and wanted to know if I’d accept it. D: Sure I’ll take that. How about you dad? S: (cough) I met your mother [Dorothy Kent] in an employment line up to Ricks College. I was trying to get student employment while we were going to school. (cough) we were both waiting in line and I had to take a quick break and go to a class and the fellow that was the head librarian’s mother was one of my English teachers down here at the high school [West Side]. (cough) I stopped in to see him and he told me I could come work for them in the library so I went back over there to tell them to take my name off the list and she was still in line. We met each other and she said congratulations but she was still waiting for hers and then one of her…. [break] We’s having a devotional assembly and they asked me if I’d say the opening prayer. I asked if I could sit b her and she got up and moved clear across the sections of seat and they told me I had to go sit up on the stand and I sat down and looked at her and she looked up at me…. [break] and then one of her friends dared her to go back because she had been rude to me and see what id do so I saw her coming into the library back where I was at where you really couldn’t see any doors but I saw her coming in. she came in to apologize because one of the girls that lived in a separate apartment from hers in the apartment building I was in also worked in the library and told her where I was at. And I asked her to go out. And then we just started meeting each other and going to shows, dances and things like that. Then we got married the day after graduation that spring. E: I was teaching school when Don and I were courting. I didn’t even finish teaching school that year before we got married. I took the day off, went down and got married in the Salt Lake Temple, and then back to teaching. D: OK. I remember hearing a story about you [Steven] and Marva out… I don’t know… roaming around in the pasture or whatever… S: oh that D: and finding sheep turds or something (laughter) E: Marva S: [break] We had moved out of Kilgore in the fall so I could go to school there in Parker and [break] the people that had the ground around the house that we lived in and the barns and stuff for the cows, raised potatoes and after the potato harvest they turned sheep in. And so my sister Marva and I and some of our cousins went out in there and I filled my pockets up with the sheep turds and came back in and told my mother I had found all these neat marbles out in the field. D: What did you do? E: (chuckling) We just had a good laugh and I made him empty his pockets. D: What about…. Now Eldon Bingham used to tell me that you guys always did plays and things together. E: Made what? D: Eldon Bingham. You guys did plays or whatever. S: Plays E: Not that I remember Eldon Bingham in any of them. S: No. That you did plays; not that he did them but you did. D: Yeah. S: You and Grandpa Phillips E: Yeah. Grandpa Phillips and I used to do the…. He was the ward drama director and used to go up and help him with them. I used to lie to put on make up for them. D: What was your favorite one? E: Oh, let’s see. The one the Grandma Griffeths was in. I can’t think of the name of it now. My memory is getting awful Danny over things like that. D: What was it like when Dad was born? E: What was it like? D: Yeah? E: Boy, it was awfully exciting! (chuckling) Your grandpa always used to say that he saw…. He knew that it was going to be a boy ‘cause he saw him in a dream. When he came he said he looked just like that. We just about didn’t save Steven. They had to take him with instruments. He was a blue baby when he was born. But he…. We were sure thrilled when he got here anyway. D: How about the other ones? E: Oh, they were fun, too. Marva was a little butterball. She…. Phil was born… S: He was born in St. Anthony. E: Yeah. He was born up in St. Anthony. He was the only one that was. And I rember I was having pains and your da… Grandpa came in with all the mail and I said, “Take that away! I don’t want that!” (chuckling) Phil was born premature. He was about a month early. And Klea was a little doll when she was born, but when she was born they got the bracelets mixed up on her arm over here in Preston. And they tried to give me the other baby. (chuckling) And I said, “No! That’s not my baby!” Klea had the prettiest curly hair. D: What do you remember about the other kids, dad? S: [break] The only one I remember is Phil and Klea. We got to go over. The nurse brought Phil down some steps there in St. Anthony and let us, Marva and I, see him. We was excited to have another little baby brother come into the house and like Klea said, she was just…. Like Mom said about Klea, she was just kinda small and had lots of curly dark hair and had a different type of smile about her. And she had it right from the time she was newborn; she had that special little smile that she could give. It was exciting to have, especially being the oldest, somebody that was younger than you. D: How about your first car? E: Dad, your Grandpa’s first car was an old Ford. We called it a Jitney. When it would try to go up the Preston hill it couldn’t. We’d have to get out and push. But we made it up. D: Did you have any involvement in the war, or did you feel any effects from the war? E: Well, I was in Kilgore when it was on. Your Grandpa didn’t get to go ‘cause, uh… S: He had cataracts in his eyes. E: Uh huh. And, uh, then none of my brothers… one of my brothers went. Uh, Stanley went overseas. He was on Burma Road. That was kind of a tense time for us, but…. He, uh, used to tell about hearing someone whisper, “Stan, Stan.” Someone just trying to get him, you know. And then, uh, Bland was in the Navy. But I don’t…. He was in California most of the time. Perry didn’t get to go because of his, uh, hernia, I believe it was. D: I remember hearing…. Jeff [Phillips] was telling me a story about you and Grandpa walking into church when he’d lost a lot of weight or something and his pants came down? E: No, that was after he’d had his leg amputated, and he went… he went up here to go to something at the high school… S: to vote; took you up to vote. E: and Aunt Lorna [Phillips] was with us. He went to get out and to walk in and his pants fell down. And he said, “Oh, good hell, Lorna, pull ‘em up!” (laughter) But that was after he had his leg amputated. He didn’t have any hips. D: Now he was sick quite a bit right? What all? E: About four years, wasn’t it? He was sick. He had operation after operation. D: What all… What operations? E: He had cancer. They just kept chippin’ away at him and finally took his leg off. S: took… rerouted his colon. D: How old was he? E: He was 42 when he died, wasn’t he? S: Oh, no, no, no, no, no. I was 16, so he was 46. No. E: I thought he was 42. D: What kind of cancer? E: Sericoma [?] S: 40-something when he died. E: It was on his central nervous system. D: OK S: Subtract 14 from 63. D: Yeah, that would be 49. So where all have you lived? E: You mean all our days? D: Yeah. E: Well, I lived here. I was born in Dayton and then I went to Malad and taught school. And lived over there then moved up to Kilgore then I went to…Lived in Logan and Pocatello when I went to college. D: And you had Dad in Kilgore? E: No. He was born in Preston. I sued to come down here and stay with the folks when…. There was nothing up in Kilgore. You couldn’t have a baby in Kilgore unless you had it like Aunt Vickie. D: What’s been your favorite area? E: Dayton. D: Now, do you have family history here in Dayton? E: What do you mean? S: This is where your family came from. Grandpa Callan settled… was Bishop. E: He was the first Bishop here in Dayton. D: Who? E: Grandpa Callan. D: And that’s? E: That’s mama’s [Ida Phillips] dad. D: He was the first Bishop? E: He’s the one that donated all the ground where the church house stands. He was the one that brought the canal water down. And he stood the night they watched as its coming and he said, “By heck, here she comes! By heck, here she comes!” D: Now, has Dayton always been Dayton? E: It was called Five Mile at first ‘cause it was five miles between Dayton and Weston… I mean, Weston and D: Clifton E: … Clifton each way. D: Are there any… when did they change that? Why did they change that? E: Well the GA’s [General Authorities] used to come through and they called it; first it was Daytown ‘cause they’d get here in the day time. So they changed it to Dayton. D: Was that after Grandpa got here? E: Oh yeah. Quite a while after. D: What are some stories that Grandma Phillips used to tell when you were growing up? E: I don’t know. She didn’t tell stories as much as…. She used to play games with us, but Grandpa Phillips was the storyteller. He’d sit and make up stories. D: About what? E: Oh, one that we always remembered was about up in the hollow we called pig hollow up there. Supposed to be up there tendin’ the pigs and a big old bear came along and some magpies came and chased him away. Grandpa used to be quite the storyteller. And then he told one about the little boy that… he was supposed to go to church, to Sunday school. Instead of going he went swimming with some friends and he almost lost his life. Grandpa used to like to tell us stories like that. D: What are some stories that you remember being told, Dad [Steven]? S: Stories I remember being told? Oh, there was quite a few of them. Some of the ones I remember most was 3 Billy Goats Gruff, 3 Little Pigs, Little Black Sambo, stories like that. They used to be fun to listen to and to have told to you. We don’t really hear them told anymore because of different things that’s come about. Those were some of the fun things that was told. D: Are any of you superstitious? E: I don’t think I am. S: Not particularly. D: How long have you lived in this house? E: Oh dear. S: 45 years. 1953- 1998 now that’s 45 years. D: Did you build the house? E: Jones’s built it first. Then we got it from Collisters. White’s lived here, too. They didn’t live here as long though. Lizzie and Charles Jones was the first ones that built this. D: What are some of the different callings that you’ve had in the ward? E: Boy Danny, I’ve been nearly everything there was. I’ve been… about one of the first I had was Secretary in Primary at the age of 13. Then I was the Primary President—started the first Primary up in Kilgore. I was the first Primary President they had up there. And then here in this ward [Dayton] I was Young Women President, and Relief Society, and worked on the Stake Board in Relief Society for a number of years. And then I was a Primary teacher for years. D: How about you Dad? S: How about me? Well let’s see… Served as Stake Young Men leader of the Oneida Stake before I went on my mission. When I came back off my mission I still hadn’t been released. They told me I was still the Young Men, Stake Young Men Leader. And when I went ot school I served as… I was going to school at Ricks [now BYU-Idaho] and at Utah State I served as ward clerk to two different Bishops; taught in the Priesthood, served in the Elders Quorum Presidency three times, and uh been a Home Teacher and taught in Primary, scouting, 11 yo boys for 11 years and then involved in scouting for 25 years; taught in the Sunday School, taught in the Priesthood, and served as Young Men Secretary, also served in the Cub Scouting program and basically I’m High Priest Group Secretary. And so I’ve taught in just about all the organizations except for Young Women and Relief Society. E: I believe I’ve taught in every organization there is in the ward. I was Young Women President. Pearl Beutler was my counselor. Harold Galloway was Young Men’s and she said one time they were complimenting us and she said, “Well the women have to do the work and let the men have the credit.” D: What did Grandpa do? E: Don? D: Yeah. E: Oh S: Branch President E: He was in the Branch Presidency up there then he’d go to church on Sunday and he’d be the only man there and he’d have to lead the signing and do everything. They he was a State Missionary here in the Seventies Quorum before they had the General Quorum of the Seventies, you know. He was in the Seventies over here. In fact, he was in the Seventies presidency when he, uh, had his leg amputated. Then he had to be released. D: How about the farm life? How much area did Grandpa own? E: Well, we got 45 acres of irrigated down here. S: 640 when we bought the place. E: Then there’s all that dry land up there and I sold that when Phil went on his mission so we could keep him on his mission. D: What are some of the things that Grandpa used to like to do? E: Oh, he loved farming. And he loved to go fishing. He was no hand to go hunting, but he loved to go fishing. I don’t think that they had too much recreation in your Grandpa’s life because he had never ben to ball games or anything until he came over here and Uncle Perry was the instigator of Saturday afternoon ball games. And then your dad got interested in that. But he loved to fish. D: Where would he fish? E: Ooh boy! Anywhere and everywhere! We had… S: Creeks E: …creeks up there by Kilgore that you could go right out the back door practically and catch fish. And then he uh used to like to fish over to Malad at the dams up there. S: Down by Nash’s Pond. D: Did he fly fish? S: Not so much; just using worms. That’s what they used up there on those creeks in Kilgore was worms. On the reservoirs around here they didn’t really come in to the fancy lures and spinners and stuff until later after he was gone. He did play softball and was a good softball player. D: What position? S: I think he played infield—shortstop. But he could play softball pretty good. No doubt about it he did play softball. Then when the men played in the church ball games they’d just meet. Two wards would get together and they’d just divide up and go play and have a good time with each other. It wasn’t one ward against the other. They’d just go and mix it up and play kind of a round robin type ball and everybody just had fun and everybody knew everybody else and it was kinda neat to go watch them play. D: Now, they used to have big tournaments, right? S: Yeah they did. They used to have the all-church tournament in Salt Lake and… E: Your dad went down and participated in the music. S: They used to have all church dance festivals and all-church music festivals. In 1963 I went down for the all-church dance festival from this area, and I went back down in 1964 to the all-church music festival and was able to sing in the Tabernacle Choir Seats with the All Church Choir. That was a really neat experience. Both times. They don’t have those any more. And then when I was married and we lived there in Logan, and we was in a town ward, why our… in a regular ward, not in a student ward any more we…. Dorothy and I had the oldest boy, Mikal, and Daughter, Shannon, why we went and won the regionals in softball and then let the second place team go to all area up in Idaho Falls [Idaho] because too many of us were working and we couldn’t get off to go; even though we won the tournament. So, when you get married and you have families you can’t always go play ball. E: I can still see Dorothy playing ball when she was pregnant. D: With who? Mike? S: No, Shannon. In fact, Mom [Ella] just mentioned that Danny’s grandma… his mother was out playing softball, playing first base when she was expecting his older sister Shannon and people were worried and concerned about her. She’d had my mother and her younger sister come down to stay with us in Logan ‘cause her and I was managers of the juvenile detention center at that time. She told everybody that she was going to have Shannon that night. And we’d just got home and had something to eat after playing ball. She had me take her up to the hospital and Shannon was born, so that was an interesting thing. E: Boy how proud Klea was of Mikal. He was the apple of her eye. S: …first nephew… D: Mike’s not the first is he? S: No. E: Uh uh. S: The first one that was down here close to Klea. She had two more nephews from my sister, but, they lived up in Rexburg, so she didn’t get to see them but she did Mikal and so she was pretty excited when…. E: She wrote a poem about his first steps. It took 1st prize in the poetry contest. D: Do you remember the poem? S: No. E: I’ve got a copy of it somewhere but I don’t know just where, Danny. I’ve got it among my stuff. D: What was Grandma Phillips like? E: Grandma? Oh, she was full of ambition. There was nothing that Grandma… she was a good cook. And she got out and she’d play Ginny and Annie-I-over, just always was fun with her kids. We’d thin beets together and as we’d thin we’d start getting tired and she’d start singing. Or if anybody’d leave a week, instead of scolding she’d start singing, [singing] “Say, how do you how your row, young man, say, how do you hoe your row? Do you hoe it fair? Do you hoe it square? Do you do it the best you can?” She never scolded us but… and then she’d always, she’d always… could beat us all down to the end of the row, then she’d come back and meet us on our rows and help us. And she always liked to raise a big garden and flowers. D: What was her favorite flower? E: Oh, roses, I believe. D: What’s yours? E: Mine? Oh, I love roses, and I love lilacs. S: the thing I remember about Grandma Phillips is she’s just a real small petite lady. But boy you’d have a hard time keeping up with her because she’d worked hard all of her life and she expected you to work hard when you had a job and do it well. And uh… she’s just a joy to be around. She had a big feather bed that she used to put all of us grand kids in when we’d come down to visit with her, and stay and visit with her. And she was just… never stopped. D: How did she get her name, Ida? E: She was the first baby girl born in Dayton after the… after Idaho became a state. (chuckling) Somebody wanted to call her Shedida (pronounced: she died uh). Grandma [Callan] said, “No.” D: Shedida? E: Uh huh, Shedida. That was a name that was… somebody had around here. S: She used to make pies for a café over in Preston. She made such good pies. E: Well they hired her down in Ogden. She made… that’s the way she made her living down there one summer was making pies for this big drugstore down there; the Owl Drug, I believe it was. Grandma [Ida] could sure make good pies and chicken and jellyrolls. I used to come home from school at night ‘cause she’d have a big pan of spare ribs cooked and ready. S: One thing I need to say here is that Danny was just a little tiny guy when Grandma [Ida] stayed here with Mom [Ella] when her health got bad. And she used to get gas pains and gas quite a bit. And one time she said, “I’ve got gas”, and Danny said, “What’d you drink gasoline for?” E: “Well, I didn’t know Grandma drank gas.” (chuckling) S: You probably don’t remember telling her that but we all got a good laugh about that. D: I don’t remember. S: When Danny was about four years old or so, five when he said that to her. E: She got quite a kick out of that. D: Now, is there any Indian ancestry? E: Not ancestry but used to have to kinda watch out for the Indians when Momma [Ida] was a little girl. S: When I was a little guy, a little boy up in Kilgore, the Indians used to camp up on the banks of the creeks up there and they’d come and work for my dad and we used to… he built a big slip where he could put the hay right on and drag a big twelve-by-twelve slip on the ground. Then he’d throw a log across the pole across the front of it and drive some big stakes in the ground in front of the log then pull out from under it and just leave that little stack of hay out there.. and one old Indian who we had took off running and we couldn’t figure out what was the matter. Pretty soon he brought all of them from the camp back up to see how my dad pulled that hay off that slip and they laughed and laughed and laughed. And they used to take all the hides from the deer and the elk and the cattle that was killed, and they’d tan and smoke those hides and make jackets. And they used to make real beautiful moccasins from my sister and I and put their beads on them. And they used to do such great work. And we thought that was pretty cool that we had some original moccasins that weren’t even bought from the store—that they gave to us. D: Do you remember what tribe? S: No. Imganine they were… they had several up through there. They had the Shoshone, Bannock, and the Nez Pierce, and so they were probably…. E: I think most of these were Bannock. S: Yeah. Up there were Shoshone, Bannock. They were sure… They’d come up every year and they’d camp there on the creeks and spent their summers up there. E: We used to have a lot of Mexicans come in here to work in the fields. Grandpa had one old Mexican that used to come back every year and his name was … he said his name was Jesus. Mama looked out one day and she says, “Oh, here’s Jesus.” (Chuckles) D: Dad. Tell us about the process of, of getting and going to the worlds fair in Seattle. S: OK. When I was 14, 15 years old and went into the Explorers we decided for a super activity that we’d go up to Seattle to the World’s Fair, and uh, the summer of 1963. And so we, uh, had several fund raising projects to earn our money. We hauled hay, sold candy, thinned beets… E: Peas S: … hoed potatoes, and then we stacked… they used to have pea viners around here and they’d process the peas and put them in bug crates to take them to the cannery, then run the vines up into a big stack. So we stacked about 3 big stacks of pea vines, and that was one of the ways that we earned the money to go. And we contacted several greyhound busses and they come up and they wanted quite a bit. And then we contacted Cook Brothers and a couple other bu companies and they wanted a lot of money to take us even on a charter, and so we were going to go by care. And, uh, my dad said if we went by care I couldn’t go. And in the mean time he died that June of that year 1963. And then Greyhound heard about it and they sent one of their charted bus drivers that wen tall over the country up with us. He set down one time deal where they’d take us for $1000.00. so we left Dayton at midnight on August 1. Drove on up through the Northwest and stayed in… because it rained so hard we stayed in different church houses and fixed our meals in parks and different recreation areas. Spent some time at the worlds fair. Then we went out on the ocean deep sea fishing and caught a bunch of Tuna and Sea Bass. And turned our catch in. and everybody… all the boys- there were 36 boys and 6 leaders that went. And we all had enough that we each got 12 cans of Salmon and 12 cans of Sea Bass—we’s able to bring back that what everybody got. It was really an interesting experience to go up in that space needle up in Seattle. But it was a lot of fun. It took a lot of hard work, but we made it. D: Now you had a big part in the next one right? Was it the next one? The worlds fair in New York? S: OK, and then a couple of years after that, in 1965, I got my mission call to the Eastern States Mission, which was headquartered there in New York City. And they had the World’s Fair back there. And the LDS Church had a pavilion that, as people’d come off the subway to come into the fair, it was one of the first pavilions. In fact it was the first pavilion that they saw. I worked there as a guide telling about the LDS Church, the Mormon church, for about four months; well longer than that, actually, I guess. It was about five months all together until it closed that year after it had been there for two years. And so that was kind of exciting to get to see two worlds fairs and be a part of one that close together. Because most people don’t get that chance in their lifetime. D: Did you ever worry about Dad [Steven]? E: About your dad? S: She hasn’t quit. E: One time he was out real late. I waited and waited and finally I called up Bishop Bingham ‘cause he went with Bishop Bingham’s boy. Bishop Bingham was worried too. Come to find out they’d just went up there sitting and talking with the Bishop from up in Mink Creek, wasn’t it? S: Yeah. I was out with his daughter. E: And then I remember dad [Don] saying to me then, “Hell, you don’t need to worry about Steven.” And then, uh, I’d…. Steven never was much of a worry though, for me. S: I scared her a little when I got the mumps before I went on my mission. E: Yeah. He was real sick and in bed here for a long time with that. D: On your mission? S: No. In November before I was getting ready to go on my mission. I had my wisdom teeth dug out the first part of November, and I swelled up so I couldn’t eat anything and missed Thanksgiving.. just got over Thanksgiving and ate one good meal then I came down with the mumps. And they went down on my so I was flat on my back for the whole month of December. Some times I got very delirious and laid out here on the couch and didn’t really know where I was at or what was going on. My fever was so high and scared my mom pretty bad. She had my uncle—and Walter Beutler was a goo friend here in the ward—come down, and they gave me a special priesthood blessing. And I came through it. But I was sure sick when they went down on me, and I didn’t know sometimes if I was going to make it or not. D: Any faith promoting experiences? E: Danny, I’ll cry if I tell some of those. D: That’s all right. E: Well, when Grandpa [Don] was down in the hospital, uh, I’d been down there alone with him for a long time and he was so bad. And they were getting ready to take him into the operating room again. And uh, Uncle Jerry [Bunn] had been there that morning and he said, “Have you had him administered to?” And I said, “No, ‘cause I don’t know of anyone to, you know, to call.” And he said, “Well, I’ll get you someone. I’ll get my mission president.” And I’d never seen that mission president before, never met him or anything. And just as they went to wheel your dad in… grandpa into the… in between the big doors of the operating room, I looked and I said, “Oh, here he is, here he is.” I looked down the hall and saw these two men coming. And honestly, they wheeled him back out and wheeled him into a… it was a janitor’s room like. It had brooms and mops. And uh, he gave your grandpa one of the grandest blessings that I ever, ever heard. And uh, I just felt the Spirit of the Lord so strong there. I felt like my chest was going to burst. He told him things about his life that… He didn’t know your dad, nor your dad didn’t know him, but he just told him things… or your Grandpa rather; Steven’s dad…. He gave him… he promised him he’d live here on the Earth until his mission was finished. And I always felt like that was quite a consolation, because he was promised that. And then when I had my thyroid out they didn’t know exactly what they were going to do. It was kind of an exploratory operation. And I remember here at home I had a blessing. Uncle Goff Schwartz gave me one. I still just felt all nerved up. When I went down at the hospital Grandpa Phillips came and gave me a blessing. I just felt… all that fear left me and I went through the operation and was home quicker than they ever thought I would be. And then, uh, the night that Klea passed away, I was…. She had gone over to town with Adena Palmer. And I looked out and saw those lights out there, and I thought it was “Bud” Eck out here irrigating or something. But they stayed there for so long, so I said…. Klea’s big dog was here, and I said, “Ronnie, let’s go see what that’s all about.” And I went out there and found Klea slumped down. And I knew she was gone when I saw her. And so I said, “Oh, No!” And something said to me—and I’ll never forget it was just like a voice spoke and said, “Now you’ve had her for eighteen years, its someone else’s turn.” And that’s been quite a consolation to me too, to know that I could be prompted and that’s been a comfort to me over her passing.

Life timeline of Don Sherwin Kent

Don Sherwin Kent was born on 4 Sep 1914
Don Sherwin Kent was 6 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Don Sherwin Kent was 16 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Don Sherwin Kent was 31 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
Don Sherwin Kent was 41 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Don Sherwin Kent died on 3 Jun 1962 at the age of 47
Grave record for Don Sherwin Kent (4 Sep 1914 - 3 Jun 1962), BillionGraves Record 5221576 Dayton, Franklin, Idaho, United States