Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison)

20 Jan 1909 - 28 Nov 2001

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison)

20 Jan 1909 - 28 Nov 2001
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

History of Dollie Heaton Achievement Day Activity for the 9 year old girls 12 May 1997 This is a history of Dolly compiled by Annie VanLeeuwen, Margo Lunt, and Katlain Smith, for one of their achievement day activities. Their leader was Yvonne Cooper. For this activity we compiled questions, we then

Life Information

Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison)


Alton Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Kanab, Kane, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Herald Hoyt Heaton is the son of Jonathan and Amy Hoyt Heaton.


May 1, 2013


April 28, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Dollie Lee


Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) is buried in the Alton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Dollie Heaton answering 9 year old girls questions

Contributor: GreatLakes0928 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

History of Dollie Heaton Achievement Day Activity for the 9 year old girls 12 May 1997 This is a history of Dolly compiled by Annie VanLeeuwen, Margo Lunt, and Katlain Smith, for one of their achievement day activities. Their leader was Yvonne Cooper. For this activity we compiled questions, we then interviewed Dolly, we put each question in sections and rewrote in a story form. We appreciate Dolly for letting us do this activity and for her help and support. We hope you enjoy this little history. I, Dolly Heaton, was born on the 20th of January 1909 in Thomas, Union County, New Mexico. I grew up in Independence, Missouri. My family moved to Independence when I was about 8 years old. My family had been moving around a lot, in fact, I was born in New Mexico, my sister Martha was born in Missouri, and my sister Bessie was born in Arkansas. My family decided to visit my mother's parents in Missouri and there we started going to church. My grandparents had joined the church after my mother was married. My mother told my father that she had found what she wanted and that she was going to stay in Independence. She said “I'm not going to move anymore.” And so the family stayed in Independence and that's where I grew up and started going to the Mormon Church. My mother joined the church and I was baptized when I was 14 years old. We lived on a section of land that was 4 city lots and that's where we raised our garden, some fruit trees, and a few chickens. My father was a stone mason and he did anything else he could find to do. Our home was not nice, in today's world you would call it a shack, but it was home. It really doesn't make much difference where you live. It's lots better to live in something that's not so nice and know that you're loved than it is to have fancy things. I loved my home even though it was very, very poor. I shared my bedroom with five sisters, in two beds. As each sister grew up and got married we had more room in the bedroom. I liked to help my mother. We had a stool-bottom chair. It's a chair with a solid wood bottom with no back. Mother would put pans and things on the chair so I could reach the project she was working on. Sometimes we would can fruit and sometimes I would help her make a cake. One of my older brothers said, one tine, that I made the best cakes in the family and I thought I was real smart. I liked to help mother with sewing. My mother taught me to sew and I liked to sew. I guess I was a momma's girl, I liked to be close to her when ever I could be. When I was a little girl I had little tiny china dolls about 3-4 inches tall. I had a couple of dolls and I would take match boxes and make swings and hang them on the limbs of the trees in the back yard. There my sister and I would take sticks that had fallen from the tree and we would outline rooms in the back yard and make our houses. I would sit out there and swing my dolls and pretend housekeeping and all those things that girls like to do. I liked to help my mother and I liked to play with my dolls. My father put a swing in the big oak tree in the back yard and I used to swing. In the summertime sometimes we played in the street. We lived on a dead-end street and I liked to play kick-the-can, run-sheep-run and sometimes we played baseball. Anything that children play really. We didn't have bikes, radios, cameras, we did finally get a radio that you listened to with ear phones, so only one person could listen at a time. I attended school in Independence, Missouri. I went to elementary school at William McKoy School. We walked about 2 or 3 blocks to school. Blocks in Independence are not long like in Salt Lake. We also walked 2 miles to junior high School and high school.. I don't remember the name of the junior high school I attended, but I attended William Cressnor High School. We had black boards and chalk and erasers at school. We used paper and pencils to do our assignments. Letters were written on paper and mailed with stamps. Our shoes were much the same as today, sturdy shoes that allowed us to walk, work and play. We didn't have shoes with toes out nor straps and things. We had blankets much the same as today. We played and planted land grew things. We had plants in our home, and this is probably where I grew to like plants so much. We had a big oak tree and also a thorn tree, it had great, long thorns on it. One day I stuck one in my foot. I imagined they were like the thorns that made the crown for Christ, because they were vicious things. We had a big elm tree, but it wasn't like the elms we have here. It never had seeds that went all over everywhere like these do. We had some peach trees and we had a plum tree in our back yard. Mother liked to plant flowers and I had flowers in the front yard that I planted and took care of. We ate mostly vegetables and fruits. We didn't eat very much meat and we didn't have pop and all kinds of foods like that. We raised a garden every summer and that way we had plenty of fresh vegetables. We didn't have any way to can like today, so in the winter time we would buy canned fruits and vegetables. Mother always put up peaches and blackberries. Let me tell you something about picking blackberries. In Independence we had a little tiny red bug. It was real tiny, you could hardly see it. It gets in the blackberries. When you picked the blackberries these bugs get on your clothes. If you don't get them off they get into your skin. You will then get bad sores from them burrowing into your skin. When we picked the blackberries we came in and had to take off all our clothes and change. We hang our clothing out on the line in the sun and that made the bugs go away. We had to take a salt water bath. Mother would was us all over with salt water. When we were a little older we did our own washing. We had to wash with salt water to get rid of them. I never attended Primary because there was no primary in Independence. I did however attend Young Women. I went camping with the Young Women up the canyon a couple of times. I had one favorite story book. It is the one I was named from. The story book had a character named named Dolly. My sister wanted to name a little sister Dolly, and when I came along, after three other sisters my parents said she could name me. That's how I got the name of Dolly. Father would never allow any nicknames so I have always been called Dolly. I can't remember the name of the book but my mother told me this story and of how I was named. I still like to read good books of any kind. I like to read the scriptures. I like to read good novels, and history. I just like to read. As you can see, there's a magazine or a book or something always close by. We didn't have a piano, but we did have an organ. My brother bought an organ, but no one knew how to play, so we learned. I do not play, but our third daughter, Flora May, plays the piano and the organ. She played the organ, for awhile, in the Logan Temple. She also sings, her family is musical but they're the only ones. The reason I have the piano is because Flora May needed something to practice on. We had an organ but it was an old, old one, beautiful though, a very small keyboard, and she couldn't advance in her music without something more up to date to practice on. We bought the piano, second hand, here in Salt Lake, and that's what she learned to play on. Some of my children want me to sell it, but I said no, that’s the last child in the house so it will stay. I pick with one finger, I can read the right hand with one finger and I sometimes do. I don't like to wear skirts, and still don't. I didn't really have fancy dresses. I had a very pretty formal, but I got it after I was old enough to work. I had some pretty dresses, because mother sewed. I learned to sew and I made my dresses, they weren't fancy but they were pretty. My sister, when she started working bought me a gorgeous green velvet dress that I really loved. I don't really know why I didn't have any children except Heavenly Father just never did send any. But I have five children that I call my own. My husband had five children when I married him. I helped him raise his children. That's what all these pictures around here are, my grandchildren, and my great-grandchildren and great great-grandchildren. There's a whole lot of them, and I call them my own. I feel like, well, I know that if I do what I should do that I will be able to be with their father and their mother. I'm going to be a second wife in eternity and it doesn't bother me, it never has. I knew when I married Herald that he and his first wife, the children's mother, were sealed and they would be an eternal family. It didn't bother me because I have enjoyed very much raising his children and helping them to grow up with an appreciation of the gospel. Which, of course, is very dear to my heart. To know that these associations can be eternal and so that's how I feel when I talk about my children I am talking about the five children of my husband. We had the four girls and one boy. We now have 20 grandchildren and 63 great-grandchildren and 12 great great-grandchildren. I am terrified of water. I never did learn to swim and still haven't, isn't that awful. I do all kinds of temple work but baptisms for the dead. I like people especially children, I spent a lot of my lifetime taking care of children. I still like them, I guess everyone in church know that I'm the hugging and kissing type. I like to put my arms around you and squeeze you tight. Do you want to know what I did when I got married? That's when I lived on a farm. I married a farmer. That's when I learned to preserve vegetables for winter. We had a cooker, a pressure cooker. I learned to bottle the beans and peas and things like that. We also had some chickens, we had chickens when I was growing up but we didn't ever preserve them for winter use in bottles like we did when I got married. We used to buy baby chicks that were mixed, they had hens and roosters in them. We would get them to a good size, a fine size, and then we would butcher the roosters, we would save the hens for laying. We used to bottle those. We had meat and we raised our own beef and pig. My husband cured the best hams you ever ate. That was quite an experience for me to have animals to butcher, I stayed just as far away as I could and when they brought the heart and liver in the house I needed a clothes pin but I took care of them. So I learned quite a few things after I got married. Also how to irrigate a garden, in Missouri you don't irrigate, if it doesn't rain things just dry up. So I learned how to irrigate the garden. Hauling hay was a family project, the girls and I used to go to the fields with Herald and Grant. They would pitch the hay on the wagon and we would tromp it. You have never tromped hay, have you? Well you just get a chance to jump up and down on the springy hay all over and pack it down, so they could load more hay on. Sometimes Grant purposely threw the hay on the girls just to hear them squeal. But is was fun. It was a family project and we enjoyed it. We then brought the hay to the barn, where my husband and son unloaded it and we ladies went into the house and fixed dinner. Everyone was there for dinner. I never learned to milk. I just decided we had a son, and he could do the milking when his father couldn't. So I never learned to milk. I said, “that's one thing that I;m not going to do because I'm scared to death of cows.” It was interesting. On the farm we also hauled our coal from the coal mine for the winter and put it into the basement, we had a big coal bin in the basement and a stoker furnace. I never built the fires in the morning, my husband always got up and built the fires, in the cook stove and in the furnace. In the day time and in the summers when they were out I would start the fires. Herald was used to taking care of his family, he had to do all the cooking for the children. Udodra, was 13 when her mother died and Carma was 18 months. He had to do a lot of the mother work in the home as well as be the father. He always stirred a pot of cereal, we called it mush. He always stirred a pot of mush before he went out to do the chores, so that when we got up all we had to do was the other things that needed to be done. I learned to make bread before I was married. I was a nanny when I moved to Salt Lake, this was four years before I met Herald. Both the parents worked and every Sunday the mother would make bread and she made cakes and she did this and that, and I had dirty dishes to wash all day Sunday and got so tired of it. One day the mother didn't get her bread made, she left the yeast and I got out her cook book and I made a batch of bread and it turned out good. I made the bread after that and I didn't have to wash the dishes on Sunday. I just couldn't quite fathom that because I wasn't raised that way, even though we weren't Mormons my father always said everything you do on Sunday you will have to take out with your nose on Monday. So we pretty well observed, to the best of our knowledge, what was required on the Sabbath Day. Of course, after we joined the church we went to church. My father didn't join the church when my mother did, In fact, he wasn't baptized until he was 80 years old. The reason he was baptized was, he finally decided that if he wanted to be with my mother in eternity he had to join the church. So he was baptized, he never did anything against the church or discouraged us from going but he just didn't go. He didn't feel any need to be baptized until he finally realized that there was a gulf between him and my mother because she was baptized and she was living as she should. He was a good man but he hadn't been baptized, so he joined the church. After he passed away my mother came to live with me here in this house for a year before she passed away. We went to the temple and she did her own endowments and Herald knelt for my father and they were sealed. My sister and I had been through the temple and we were sealed along with my brothers and sisters who had passed away before that time. They had never joined the church, I have had their work done. Hopefully we will be an eternal family.

Dollie And The River

Contributor: GreatLakes0928 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Daddy and the boys go hunting and fishing; daddy has a boat tied to a small tree stump and my older sisters and mamma use the boat to stand in while they bend over and dip a bucket full of cool clear water. Mother gently puts an arm around each of us –, “Dollie and Martha, mamma does not want you to go near the river;” now, you know we truly did want to obey our mother. But, most of all we wanted to help. As the days went by and we watched the others go to the boat and dip up the water we became more fascinated. One day I saw the bucket was empty; I quickly grabbed the bucket and Dollie and I ran to the river. Dollie was oldest so she took the bucket and climbed into the boat. She was too little to realize she must stand centered in the boat; the boat tipped. As Dollie fell headlong into the river I screamed, “Mamma, mamma, mamma!” Dollie bobbed up out of the water and I grabbed her tiny hand in mine. Bracing my foot against the stump (twig) where the boat was anchored and hanging onto the bushes behind me I pulled with all my might. A dripping crying Dollie was safe by the time mamma got to us; mamma was so happy Dollie was not hurt she never punished us. But, my fertile mind got Dollie and I in troubles of mischief all the days of our lives. From “The Life Story of Martha Jewel Garrison Harrison Willoughby”, verbatim, p 3-4.

The Razor

Contributor: GreatLakes0928 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

This summer I am old enough to baby-tend an earn money enough to buy my books and clothes and supplies for school. Mamma takes part of the money for “Board.” All of mamma’s children must pay their board money according to the salary they are old enough to earn. Sister Dollie has been baby-tending Donnie and David Fitch but she is afraid of Donnie each time Donnie got his dad’s straight-edged razor and chased Dollie all over the house! So-o-o-o, I was asked to see if I could handle Donnie.You see, Donnie was Hemophiliac and could not be spanked for any of his antics; while his mother was away a baby-sitter had to talk stronger and persuade him to be good. First time up – – – –, Donnie got the razor and started to tease me! “Donnie, ––– put that razor down” –––, I yelled at him! And Donnie meekly put the razor back in the bathroom. No one had ever talked to him like that before! I rewarded him by climbing up in his tree-house and reading him a story. Dollie hated the tree-house; the wind rocked us gently back and forth and I loved the breeze in my face and hair. From “The Life Story of Martha Jewel Garrison Harrison Willoughby”, verbatim, p 20.


Contributor: GreatLakes0928 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

I was twelve years old when daddy gave consent for Dollie, Bessie and I to be baptized. Mamma had wanted to be baptized when we first came to live in Independence and she learned the gospel was true but daddy refused to give his consent. Mamma cried bitter tears but President Samuel O. Bennion said, “No – o – o – o, a woman must have the consent of her husband.” Mother and Minnie were baptized in 1921. We three sisters were baptized by Elder Given on 5 August 1923. From “The Life Story of Martha Jewel Garrison Harrison Willoughby”, verbatim, p 21-22.


Contributor: GreatLakes0928 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Grandmothers house was rented to our brother John. The church told grandmother she could use the rent money to live on. The old people in those days deeded their homes to the church and then the church assumed their welfare and hospital and doctor care as long as they lived. John and Grace were very happy in grandma’s little house and four little spirits came to bless their home. John was a good provider and Grace loved him dearly. She was busily preparing supper while the baby and the dog were asleep on the floor in the living room. Dollie and I had just gotten home from Jr. High School. We heard a fire truck and its wailing sireen so we decided to follow it. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we saw it was grandma’s house! The crowd was so large it seemed half the town had also followed the fire truck. The tears began to flow as we saw two men restraining Grace from going back into the raging fire and screaming, “My baby, I want my baby!” The ambulance arrived and carried Grace away but she is so badly burned her life is gone before they reach the hospital. Dollie and I search frantically from neighbor to neighbor, “Have you seen Benny and Ruth?” It was impossible to know if all of the children were burning up. A good neighbor had taken Benny and Ruth into their arms and held them and comforted them. We took them into our arms and we all went home to our house. When the fire had burned itself out two small heaps of ashes were found side by side where the baby had slept; the dog had died heroically laying by the baby’s side as if to protect from all danger. The Church held its largest funeral that day we layed Grace to rest forever with the baby’s ashes wrapped in a snow white blanket and placed tenderly in her arms by John. The Saints placed chairs up each isle and opened up the Elders rooms upstairs placing folding chairs everywhere. The crowd over-flowed and stood silently outside the church as the services were held. From “The Life Story of Martha Jewel Garrison Harrison Willoughby”, verbatim, p 22-24.

Life timeline of Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison)

Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was born on 20 Jan 1909
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 3 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 21 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 31 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 31 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 44 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 61 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 64 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 77 years old when Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board. The Space Shuttle program was the fourth human spaceflight program carried out by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which accomplished routine transportation for Earth-to-orbit crew and cargo from 1981 to 2011. Its official name, Space Transportation System (STS), was taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) was 83 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) died on 28 Nov 2001 at the age of 92
Grave record for Dollie Lee Heaton (Garrison) (20 Jan 1909 - 28 Nov 2001), BillionGraves Record 3736651 Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States