Dianne Ohmie (Calder)

29 Dec 1921 - 11 Dec 1998


Dianne Ohmie (Calder)

29 Dec 1921 - 11 Dec 1998
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Dianne Ohmie (Calder) (29 Dec 1921 - 11 Dec 1998) at Orem Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Dianne Ohmie (Calder)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Dianne Ohmie (Calder)

Married: 13 Oct 1942

Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


June 11, 2011


June 9, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Dianne...

We found more records about Dianne Ohmie (Calder).


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Dianne


Dianne Ohmie (Calder) is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: Taneya Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Who is in this Story, Why they are tagged. Catherine Salisbury Meldrum Niece and Author of 1/2 of this story David J. Michael, Husband Edgar, Joseph, John, Harold, Daniel, Lillian and David O Sibling Calders Sarah Hague and David G. Calder, Parents Ann Hamer, David Orson Calder, Sarah Ann Beaver and James Hague grandparents Valene, Marvin, June and Clementina (Diane) Nieces and Nephew Catherine Ann Calder Michael was born 2 March 1885 in the old David Orson Calder home on “C” street, between 1st and 2nd Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah. Her father, David George Calder was born 24 April 1858 in Provo, Utah, son of David Orson and Ann Hamer Calder. Her mother, Sarah Elizabeth Hague, was born 11 June 1859 in Salt Lake City, Utah, daughter of Sarah Ann Beaver and James Hague. Catherine had five brothers and one sister: David Orson, died 11 April 1935; Joseph Douglas, died 30 January 1904; Lillian Alice, now living in Orem, Utah; Edgar Hague, died 28 August 1958; Harold Daniel now living in Provo, Utah and John Clarence now living in Huntington Park, California. Catherine Calder was baptized in the Salt Lake City, Utah Tabernacle 28 March 1893 by Edward James Wood, and confirmed 30 March by Orson F. Whitney. She started school in the old Twentieth ward schoolhouse. Then, the family moved to 865 East 400 South and she attended school in the tenth ward. The family moved back to the avenues and she completed the sixth grade at the Lowell school. After about one year her father bought a home at 945 South 700 East across from Liberty Park where she continued her schooling. She graduated from the Webster school and attended the University of Utah. The Calder family made one more move on 15 June 1905 to a farm on Provo Bench, now Orem City. As a child she was never very well and has had more than her share of serious operations and illnesses. In 1904 David George Calder took his two daughters, Lillian and Catherine with him on a trip to Chicago, Niagara Falls, Washington D.C., and the World’s Fair in St. Louis, Missouri. They went by train. They had the pleasure of going to the White House. The part that interested Catherine the most was the big dinner salon. Each President on leaving the White House has left a China closet of dishes. They were down each side of the large room, which was a great fascination to her. On 26 July 1906 she was married to David Jones Michael in Farmington, Utah, by Mayor Blood. David went to California alone to get employment and Catherine joined him later in November. About a year later they returned to Utah, on to Idaho and back to Utah. Their last move to Salt Lake, Catherine and Dave operated a second hand furniture store. (It was quality used furniture). In 1914, eight years after her marriage, she gave birth to a baby girl who only lived one day. In about 1930 she separated from her husband moved to Orem and worked in her brother Harold’s store. At this time her mother came to live with her, and continued to live with her until she passed away 25 April 1941. In 1931 Harold discontinued his business in Orem and she moved back to Salt Lake City where she operated a small rooming house for a short time. In the meantime Harold had moved to Boulder City, Nevada and had built and was operating the Central Fruit Market during the building of the Hoover Dam. Catherine went to work for him again. They stayed there until the completion of the Hoover (Boulder) dam. In June 1935 she returned to Salt Lake and bought “The Well” Confectionary store and conducted that business until her health made it necessary for her to retire in 1954 at age 69. Shortly after she retired she had a heart attack and was in the hospital again. She wasn’t too well after that but was able to care for herself and continue on keeping her beautiful flower garden in order. She would plant a new flower, a seed, or a slip and say “now grow” and that was just what they did. The window sills in her homes were always filled with beautiful and interesting plants. Besides being a good gardener she was an excellent cook. You could always count on an outstanding meal, well prepared and well served at her home. Living in these various places and meeting the public as she did she had a wealth of friends. She was affectionately called “Mrs. Mike” by the many little children who came to “The Well.” These children have grown into young men and women now. Many of them have kept in touch with her through the years with visits, phone calls and letters. Others have known her by “Aunt Kit.” She joined the Nibley Park Camp Daughters of the Pioneers and in February 1958 ten of them formed a harmonica band. They dressed in Pioneer costumes and played in different wards, camps and a dancing club. This brought much happiness and pleasure to her. She was Captain in the DUP (Daughters or Utah Pioneers) for three years. Due to her business she was unable to attend her church meetings, but after retiring she became a Relief Society visiting teacher, was a home teacher in the genealogy society and was the garment representative. On 16 January 1956 she received her endowment in the Salt Lake Temple and was also sealed to her parents. During her illnesses, and even when she was well, she has been blessed with real brothers and sisters in every sense of the word. They and their families have watched over and cared for her every need. On 15 June 1970 she suffered another stroke (she had had three or four previously, the first one affected her speech and leg but with perseverance she was able to walk and talk again quite well). She never gained consciousness after her last stroke and passed away 15 July, 1970. (This sketch of Catherine Ann Calder was written by Catherine Salisbury Meldrum, a niece, 18 July 1970. The following are from personal notes of another Niece Valene Calder Hubbard and also information told to Valene by Louise Christensen Erickson. I understand from what Aunt Catherine told me that she attended a nursing class and also attended Beauty School. She lived with a group of girls when she was going to Beauty school. One of the girls in their group would never take a bath, but she had a beautiful complexion. Aunt Catherine said one night they filled the tub with water and told the girl they had filled the tub for her as a favor. She thanked them and went in to the bathroom. The girls peeked through the keyhole to see what she would do. She sat there on the toilet seat for a while, then drained the tub, but still didn’t take a bath. She met Louise Christensen a few years after the death of her baby girl. Louise was about the same age as her daughter would have been. They were friends from then on. She boarded with Aunt Catherine while she went to Beauty School. She told me no one had better say anything derogatory about Aunt Catherine or Grandma in her presence. Aunt Catherine was ill while in the boarding house and Louise said Uncle Dave came over to sit with her until she got better. She didn’t know if they were ever actually divorced. At “The Well,” she also served light lunches, which included meat pies smothered in vegetable soup and hamburgers, as well as fountain drinks. Grandma Calder made the vegetable soup. The meat pies were “Morrison’s.” There was a poor family that lived on 21st South just a block or so from the store. The home was not much more than a shack. The children were a bit unkempt looking. Aunt Catherine said that no matter what a home looks like, etc. that’s where they want to be. It is still home. Sorry to say, some of the young men who came to the “The Well” borrowed money from Aunt Catherine, but never paid it back. She didn’t have much money to begin with. I felt badly when she told me this, years later. Aunt Catherine also helped a few of her nieces, myself included, and her nephew Marvin Calder. My sister June stayed with her one year and went to school at Judge Memorial a block from the store. I stayed with her and helped her for three months. (She was really helping me). My cousin Clementina (Diane) Calder said she stayed with her and went to the music conservatory in Salt Lake. When I graduated from High School in 1936 my grandmother and Aunt Catherine came down. Grandma gave me a pretty handkerchief. Aunt Catherine saved enough coupons to get two sterling silver large serving spoons as a gift. I am still using them. (2004)

Life timeline of Dianne Ohmie (Calder)

Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was born on 29 Dec 1921
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was 18 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was 22 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was 34 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was 42 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was 57 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) was 68 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
Dianne Ohmie (Calder) died on 11 Dec 1998 at the age of 77
Grave record for Dianne Ohmie (Calder) (29 Dec 1921 - 11 Dec 1998), BillionGraves Record 15191 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States