David Penrod

9 Jan 1815 - 26 Feb 1872


David Penrod

9 Jan 1815 - 26 Feb 1872
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF DAVID PENROD 1815-1872 Written by Mary P. Young David was born 9 January 1815, in Jonesboro, Union County, Illinois, son of Lewis and Polly Beggs Penrod. He married Temperance Hinkle Keller. She was born in Rowan County, North Carolina, 17 November 1817. A study of the Federal Census reco
Register to get full access to the grave site record of David Penrod
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

David Penrod


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


May 31, 2011


May 31, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about David...

We found more records about David Penrod.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of David


David Penrod is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



David Penrod

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

HISTORY OF DAVID PENROD 1815-1872 Written by Mary P. Young David was born 9 January 1815, in Jonesboro, Union County, Illinois, son of Lewis and Polly Beggs Penrod. He married Temperance Hinkle Keller. She was born in Rowan County, North Carolina, 17 November 1817. A study of the Federal Census records shows us that David’s grandfather, Samuel Penrod Sr., came to Illinois sometime before 1817. The family is not listed in the 1812 Census, so it was between those dates when they came. David’s father, Lewis, was married to Polly Beggs and his mother’s name was Polly, but we do not know her maiden name. This Polly was the wife of Samuel Penrod Sr.; there are eight Penrod heads of families listed in the 1818 Census for Union County, Illinois. According to the group sheet we have for Samuel’s father, John Penrod Sr., they seem to be brothers of Samuel Penrod Sr. David joined the Mormon Church and was a very intelligent and religious man; he accepted the Gospel in all its fullness, lived it, and taught it to his family. It seems, judging by the birth dates of some of their children, four of them were born before David and Temperance joined the church. Those born before that time were: William Lewis b 27 Jan 1832 Union Co., Illinois Solomon b 17 Mar 1834 Elizabeth b 9 Sep 1836 Israel b 13 Mar 1838 Sarah Evelyn b 15 Apr 1840 Christina b 6 Mar 1842 After the assassination of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, the mob persecution intensified until the Saints were compelled to abandon their homes. It was decided to go west where they hoped to worship God according to the teachings of the Gospel, as restored through Joseph Smith. David, with his family, joined the Saints in the journey west. David was a wagon and carriage maker by trade before leaving Illinois. He stayed near the Missouri River for some time repairing wagons. Some of the Saints had begun the journey with ill prepared wagons and outfits, so they were held there until the wagons were in good condition, the wheels and tires giving the most trouble. This probably was no trouble for David as we read in the Pioneer History of Illinois, “The lumber from their rude sawmills was used for building purposes, and for making wagons, farming implements, and furniture for local use.” Perhaps it was at this time he became expert in the making of wagons etc. The Penrods were already Pioneers to Illinois when David was born and he had been raised in a Pioneer community. Some time was spent by them in Hancock County, Iowa. According to the family group record, two of their children were born in Hancock County, Iowa. Abraham b 12 July 1844 Polly Elmina b 23 May 1847 (died in infancy) It seems that Polly passed away soon after her birth. According to these birth dates, they were in Iowa from 1844 until 1847. He could have, at this time, been helping to get wagons and outfits prepared for the long journey across the lonely prairie and mountains. When the trouble at the river was cleared up, David and family joined the Orson Hyde Company. While crossing the plains, Solomon, next to the oldest child, passed away. According to his birth and death date, he was about fifteen years old. He was buried on the plains, his last resting place was covered with rocks and sage so the Indians would not notice it. This was a terrible bereavement and sorrow, so far away from home and on the lonely prairie. Many hundreds of the Saints died with Cholera while they were camped on the plains. Temperance became ill from it as they were crossing the lonely prairie; it is a very contagious disease so their outfit was left behind at the side of the road. One woman stayed to help them. Their faith was strong, and through their faith and the laying on of hands, she was restored to health and they were able to overtake their company. David drove the oxen and the children took turns gathering buffalo chips to make the fires at camping time. The children were barefoot most of the time, their feet often leaving prints of blood in the sand. They arrived in Salt Lake City in 1849, remaining there for several months and then moved to the Fort in Provo, Utah. While living in the Fort a son was born to them, 24 October 1850. They named him David Nephi; he was one of the first few babies born at the Fort. It is interesting to note that the census says he was born in Deseret. (This was the name of this territory before it became a state). There is a monument standing where the Old Fort stood, in loving memory of those who lived there and those who died there. After it was safe enough to move from the Fort, Grandfather obtained ground on Main Street in Provo, between Third and Fourth West Streets on the north side of the road. He built an adobe house with four rooms or so. The house faced south. Here the rest of their children were born. Temperance b 19 Sep 1852 Provo, Utah, Utah Minerva Olive b 24 Feb 1854 Ephraim b 11 June 1857 Amasa Lyman b 12 Nov 1858 David worked on the Salt Lake Temple hauling granite blocks from Little Cottonwood Canyon. He served with many others in the Black Hawk War and during the Indian trouble. His name along with his son, Israel, is engraved on the monument in Pioneer Park in Provo, in memory of those who served. In Provo David was a farmer and stock raiser. He owned several large tracts of land. One of his farms was on 12th North and University Avenue. His sons, Nephi and Amasa, later built homes on that farm and lived the rest of their lives there. Mr. Ed Peck, an early pioneer, made plows for the farmers and David would stock them. He also made cradles for cutting grain. They ate a lot of corn bread as very little white flour was made at that time. They very seldom had more than a pound of sugar a month. Sometimes people would borrow a pig rind to grease their bread pans, then return it with many thanks. In summertime it wasn’t too bad to go barefoot, but when the cold weather came something had to be made for foot covering, moccasins or shoes. Stephen Bee’s father used to make shoes out of ox-hide. David would buy a pair of shoes from him for each member of the family in the fall of the year and they would have to last until the next year. David kept sheep, and of course each spring he would shear them. Temperance would wash the wool, then take it to Shedrick Holdaway’s home for him to make it into rolls. She would then spin it into yarn to make stockings, shawls and mittens. Although they were comfortably well off, they were very conscious of the needs of others. Anyone in need was always given supplies as far as it was possible to do so. They gave potatoes, corn and in later years wheat. People were never refused and the bins were never empty from year to year. They, and their family, were blessed in so many ways. It seemed the Lord cared for them even as they had cared for the ones in need. David had severe sick spells for a few months, of what was then called “Cramp Colic.” During one of these spells, more severe than usual, he passed away, on 26th of February 1872. He was buried in the Provo City Cemetery. He became quite well off for those days. From one of the accounts during the settling of his property, the following possessions are listed with the names of the appraisers, Gilbert Haws and George Baum. A house and lots in Provo City, one fourth interest in the Smith Flour and Saw Mill, one and one half shares in the First Ward pasture, one share in the South Meadow, nine acres of farm land near Smith Mill. Five acres of land in River bottoms, land in South pasture on river bottom, and sixty sheep, stock in East Co-op Store, stock in Provo Woolen Mills. I believe we are justified in comparing David with Abraham of old. We remember that the Lord sent Abraham out of his own country, into the wilderness and promised him that he would multiply his seed as numerous as the dust of the earth. Was not David sent into the wilderness and plains to Pioneer the great and wonderful west and he was blest with a large family (13 in all) and a numerous posterity. Surely his children and his children’s children, to the last generation, shall arise and call him “Blessed”!

David Penrod

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

David Penrod, the first son of Lewis Penrod and Polly Beggs, was born 9 January 1815 in the Northwestern Territory of Illinois. His father, among other early settlers, was there to enjoy all the blessings of the land. He fell the great forest trees, opened farms, killed the wolves and other wild animals, tamed, civilized and made habitable this great land for his decedents. When David was three years old a County Commissioner's Court was elected for the new county. They organized and held the first court at the Hunsaker's home on March 2, 1818. The court's first official acts were to accept John Grammer's donation and name the town "Jonesboro." Much of this county was settled by Penrods - some were relatives of David others were not. About one third of the families in Union County at this time were freeholders - which would account for the many settlers in the territory. One of the court's other official acts was to declare the roads leading from Elvira to Jackson and from the Penrod's to Elvira public roads. David was blessed to become as rugged and noble as the land of his birthright. Surrounded by difficulties, wars and other dangers these early settlers labored to improve the land and uphold the law. The pioneers of Jonesboro were noble in their rugged way and possessed true qualities of heroism, courage and freedom. David was fourteen years of age when his mother Polly died in 1829. This was a sad experience for him, his sister, his two brothers and especially his father. However, the following year 13 June 1830 his father married Mrs. Elizabeth Barber, the widow of Joseph Barber, to try and fill the place of a mother in their home. David's father, Lewis, died in 1832 and his children, ranging in age from thirteen to seventeen, were orphaned. What a blow!, one day you're a happy carefree child with the security of a loving mother and a wise father and now you're an orphan. David had been taught responsibility and how to work. He now had to set the example for his brothers and sister. There were now many financial worries and a lot of hard work ahead. Life wasn't going to be the same. The first thing he had to do was plan his personal life and look to his future. David had his eye on a sweet girl from the neighboring town of Dongola, Temperance Keller. After going through the formalities, on 10 October 1832, he and Tempy received consent to marry from her father. On October 13th David appeared in court to prove that he was of lawful age to choose a guardian to replace the one appointed by the court upon the death of his father. Having proven this to the court he chose Joseph Keller, an uncle of Temperance, to be his guardian. On the same day, Joseph gave his official consent to David's marriage to Temperance. On 14 October 1832 David married Temperance Keller, the fifth child of Abraham Keller and Sarah Hinkle Keller. Temperance was born 18 November 1817 in Rowan County, North Carolina. Through the blessings of the Lord and individual hard labor, homes and farms now dotted the fertile land of Jonesboro. The lives of David and Temperance were busy with serving family and neighbors as children quickly came to bless their home. Their first child WILLIAM LEWIS was born 27 Jul 1833. Another son SOLOMON was born 17 Mar 1835. a daughter ELIZABETH was born 9 September 1836 and a son ISRAEL was born 13 Mar 1838. David and Temperance heard and accepted the gospel message and both were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 12 February 1840 by J.A. McIntosh. Two months later 15 Apr 1840 another daughter, SARAH EVELYN, was born. However, this joy was short lived as Sarah died as a child (history does not record her age). David then moved his family from Union County to Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois in order to gather with the Saints. Here another daughter CHRISTINA was born 6 March 1842 followed by another son ABRAHAM on 12 Jul 1844. Another daughter POLLY ELMIRA was born 23 May 1847 and also died as a child. David, having put his whole heart into the work of the kingdom of God, was ordained to the office of High Priest in 1846 by D. Carter. David and Temperance, having "cast their lot" with the Saints, suffered trials and persecutions in Nauvoo which are well known to all with pioneer heritage. David was a wagon and carriage maker by trade. These talents were well used and appreciated by the Saints in their preparation for the trek West. Even though the Saints had to leave in such haste and poor conditions, David stayed behind as long as possible in order to help his neighbors. He and Temperance, along with their children, departed with the Orson Hyde company. While crossing the plains their fifteen year old son Solomon died. This caused them much sorrow especially as they had to leave his mortal remains on the lonely prairie. But they valiantly carried his memory in their hearts. David and his family arrived in Salt Lake Valley in 1849. Here they remained for several months before moving to Provo where they lived at the Old Fort (where the Walter Cox place later stood). While they were living in the Old Fort a son DAVID NEPHI was born 24 October 1850. When it was safe to move from the Old Fort David purchased property on what is now Main Street between Third and Fourth West. On the north side of the street David built a four room adobe house. here four more children were born. Daughters TEMPERANCE, born 19 September 1852, and MINERVA OLIVE, born 24 January 1854, along with sons Ephraim, born 11 June 1857, and AMASA LYMAN, born 12 November 1858. David was a farmer and raised cattle. Using his skills as a wagon maker he also made cradles for cutting grain. His son Amasa Lyman inherited one of these cradles. David owned several large tracts of land in Provo. One of his farms was located on what is now Twelfth North and University Avenue. Here his sons David Nephi and Amasa Lyman later built their homes. David was active in the LDS Church and in the community. He served in the Walker War which ended the Indian trouble with the treaty with Chief Walker in 1854. David's name, along with that of his son Israel, is engraved "in memory of those who served" on the monument in Pioneer Park in Provo. He worked on the Salt Lake Temple hauling granite blocks from Little Cottonwood Canyon. In 1856 the First District Court of Provo was held and David was one of the Jurymen. David received his Patriarchal Blessing 9 Feb 1857 under the hands of Patriarch Isaac Morley. He was ordained to the office of Seventy 19 August 1857 by Andrew Moore. David's life was obviously one of service. David Penrod died 26 February 1872 in Provo, Utah of "cramp colic" better known today as appendicitis. From one of the accounts made during the settling of his estate the following properties and securities were listed (along with the names of the appraisers: Gilbert Haws and George Baum). "A house and lot in Provo City. One fourth (1/4) interest in the Smith Flour and Saw Mill. One and one half (1 1/2) shares in the First Ward Pasture. One (1) share in the South Meadow. Nine (9) acres of farm land near Smith's Mill. Five (5) acres of land in River Bottoms. Land in South Pasture on River Bottom, and sixty sheep. Stock in East Co-Op Store and Stock in Provo woolen Mills." After David's death his sons decided to surprise their mother and built her a frame house on Twelfth North. When it was finished and ready to be moved into some of the family took her riding while others moved her belongings. She understood why the ride was so long when she found herself all comfortable in her new home a mile and a half from her old home. She was completely surprised and very happy to be near her children. Here she spent her remaining days. Temperance Keller Penrod died 15 November 1893 and was laid to rest beside her husband in the Provo City Cemetery. We give honor and pay tribute to these our valiant ancestors David and Temperance Penrod. They had the courage to espouse a new religion and make the necessary sacrifices to come to Utah. Researched and Written by L Lyman and Beth Penrod

Penrod Family History

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

Penrod Family History As we contemplate the great Pioneer effort of our people from Maryland to Pennsylvania, Illinois, Iowa and on to Utah we can't help but be "Proud". Our first Pioneer grandfather who joined the Latter-day Saints Church was David Penrod. David was the son of Lewis and Polly Boggs Penrod and was born 9 Jan 1815 at Jonesboro, Union County, Illinois. David married Temperance Keller, the daughter of Abraham and Sarah Hinkle. The Kellers were first found in the 1830 Census of Union County, so they did not arrive in Illinois nearly as soon as the Penrods. Temperance's parents had a child born in Dongola, Union County, Illinois in 1823, so they arrived sometime between 1820 and 1823. A large group of Hinkles arrived about that time and were probably relatives of Sarah, the wife of Abraham Keller. When the Saints were driven out of Illinois, David was being driven out of the place of his birth, the home of his parents, and even his grandparents were there. Illinois was dear to him and if he and his wife. Temperance, would have given up this new religion they would have been allowed to stay. Many of his people apparently did not join the church and stayed there and their descendants are there today. We have one letter written to David Nephi Penrod, which tells him about conditions in Illinois at the time the letter was written in 1890. One thing this Penrod cousin said was that Grandmother, Temperance's, brother El Keller (Elcano), was still alive then. Among other things he was told where to write in Illinois. David and Temperance lost a little daughter while camped on the plains in Hancock County, Iowa; and on the way across the plains a teen age son, Solomon, sickened and died, and had to be buried by the side of the trail. These were great trials, but the Lord was good to them. Nine children grew to maturity and a numerous posterity comes after them. David's father, Lewis, was the son of Samuel and Polly Penrod, we do not know the maiden name of this Polly. Samuel was the son of John Penrod and Catherine Barrona (Barren or Barrone). John Penrod was born about 1726 in Frederick County, Maryland. This John Penrod and his son John Penrod Jr. , and a son-in-law, John Vansel were among the small group of hunters who left their families in Maryland and went into the wilds of Pennsylvania in what is now Somerset County, and were among the first to settle in Cox's Creek Glades. The Glades were named after Isaac Cox, an early hunter to this same area. Much of the history of this area is preserved because a man kept a diary and mentions the Penrod's many times in it. The following is a direct quotation from his diary. "This valley is what properly may be termed rolling in its general features, divided into hills, bottoms and glades; generally densely timbered, and with little underbrush, the bottoms open, and sodded with a short, fine grass. As to the glades: Nothing could exceed in beauty and luxuriance these plains when vegetation was at its full growth. In many places for acres, grass was as high as a man, of a bluish color, with a feathery head of blueish purple. But after the permanent settlement it was found that this original grass disappeared under pasturage, and was supplanted by the broad-bladed sour grass except in places that were never reached by stock. The streams usually rise in the hills, and worm their way through the glades, then break between high banks through the dark forest. The native Choke cherries, wild cherries, plums and haws were found in the bottoms ripening to perfection in their proper season. On the upland and the mountains were found in equal profusion, blackberries, raspberries, whortleberries and similar fruits. The hunting season began in October and the beaver trapping in December, continuing until April. After this their fur becomes loose and worthless. Deer and bear were hunted for their skins. Panthers were destroyed by the hunters whenever encountered. Wolves were seldom killed, and were very numerous, and always followed in the wake of the hunters to devour the offal and carcasses that they left, making the night hideous with their howls and prowling around the very doors of the camps. " Although the Penrod's and John Vansel continued to trap until the spring of 1773, they did not bring their families and. make a permanent settlement there until that summer (1773). It was the custom of the hunters to make an annual visit back to their homes and families in the Spring of each year, carrying with them as much of their stock of furs and skins as they well could, the remainder of their stock being traded to packers who came in later and carried them away. Even when they brought their families in 1773 there were no roads and all they could bring was what could be put on pack animals. Two other families came in the summer of 1772. The hunters were said to have been hunting this area for three or four years before this. During the Revolutionary War the settlers had very trying times, their young men were called away to serve in the army and yet they had to guard constantly against Indian attacks. The settlers of Cox's Creek were blessed that they were never directly attacked as were many of their neighboring settlements, but there was always the constant worry. Some settlements to the east of them were even attacked. After the destruction of Hannastown, in Westmoreland County, on July 15, 1782, by a party of savages and renegade white men, led by Simon Girty; many of the settlers were afraid their settlement would be next and fled eastward until it was safe to return. When the writer of the diary returned the next year he recorded that a very small number of the families had clung to their homes in spite of the last year's Indian alarms and the general exodus that had taken place. These had chiefly been of the early hunters. This same John Penrod, Sr. was a Ranger on the Western Front, protecting homes against Indian attacks during the Revolutionary War. John Penrod Jr., Tobias, and David, sons of John were soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Much of the history of this area reads like an interesting novel, and to think it is our Penrod's in it is surely an inspiration. The call letters at the Genealogical library are 974. 87; H2b "Blackburn and Welfley's History of Bedford and Somerset Counties Pennsylvania" beginning on page 80. (Somerset County was made from Bedford County.) In the 1790 Census of Bedford County we find John Penrod and his sons, John Jr., Peter, David, Emanuel, and Israel. His son, Samuel, was found in Westmoreland County, one county west of Somerset and a little north. (Samuel was our ancestor.) In 1795 Somerset County was formed from Bedford and here John Penrod Sr. died in 1799 and was buried at Ed Pritt's farm, Millford Township, Somerset, Pennsylvania. He lived, twenty-six years after bringing his family to Pioneer this area. This John is the farthest ancestor of which we have record on our Penrod line. We have a copy of the will of this John Penrod which is very interesting, it was admitted to probate 13 April 1799 so it appears he died earlier in that year. As you read it you feel that he must have been a very spiritual man, and that he had a great deal of love for his family. It sounds as though he were quite well off for those days. Nothing is known to us as to why the Penrods in Pennsylvania went Pioneering again, or where they traveled to get there; but sometime between 1812 and 1818 they came to Illinois. We don't find them there in the 1812 Census but in the 1818 Census we find Samuel Penrod Sr., the father of Lewis, and two of his brothers, David and Solomon; and five of his sons, Lewis (Louis), the father of our David, Andrew, Emanuel, John and Samuel Jr. Illinois is situated in the mid-western section of the United States in an area beautiful enough to have been the "Garden of Eden". It is as fertile as the "Valley of the Nile" in Egypt. Illinois is interpreted as "God's Meadows". "God's Meadows" they are. Illinois was a part of the northwest territory until 1800. In the 1810 Census the population was 12,222 and in 1820 it had a population of 55,000. This was all located in the southern part of the state. This southern part was the first to be occupied by permanent settlers who came from North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Up to 1812 there had been little immigration into Illinois. Fear of Indian atrocities was one cause, but the greater and more far reaching one was the inability of settlers to gain legal title to the land upon which they located. In 1813 Congress passed a law enabling settlers to take up a quarter section of land and if they made improvements on it they would have the first right to buy at government sale. If the settler didn't choose to buy they still had a lien on the property for the amount of the improvements when it was bought by another. The passage of this law, the ending of the War with England, and the subsequent treaties with the Indians in 1815 under which they conveyed their titles to the United States, opened wide the doors in Illinois for rapid settlement and growth for the first time in its history. Up to 1815 the increase of its population had been stayed by Indian guerilla warfare, the war with England, difficulty of travel over mountains, through trackless forests and over bridgeless rivers, and insecure land titles. By the end of 1814 the steamboat had arrived, railroads were being planned and the United States was selling its lands to settlers at the very low price of $1.25 an acre. In 1818 Illinois was admitted into the Union as the twenty-first State. Union County was one of three counties established in January of 1818. It was formed from Johnson County which was first formed in 1812. We know the Penrod's arrived by 1815 because our grandfather, David Penrod, was born at Jonesboro, 9 Jan 1815. There were 392 families in Union County in 1818 and in March 1818, the County Commissioners located the county seat; and gave it the name of Jonesboro. The first sale of lots took place in July and some of them were said to have brought over $100.00. So we see that David Penrod was born there before Jonesboro was officially named. The great mass of the people in Illinois in 1818 were poor, vigorous, self-reliant, courageous men, women, and children, who had braved the wilderness in the hope of sustaining life with the rifle, the hoe, and the ax, until they could wring from the soil and the forest a home for themselves and their children. They dressed in homespun and deerskins and were nourished mainly on the meat of wild birds and wild animals and the fish in the streams. They supplemented this food with a little corn, roasted or roughly ground into meal, and vegetables grown around their log cabins. Luxuries were almost unknown, and the necessities of life were earned by great effort. Even the cloth for clothing was made by hand as well as wool made into stockings, sweaters, etc., through the various processes from their own sheep. There were no reformatories or penitentiaries and practically no jails, consequently no imprisonment for crime. Murders and arsons occasioning loss of life were punishable by hanging. All other crimes were punishable with the lash, pillory or the stocks. Brutal crimes less than the taking of life were punished with as high as 500 stripes on the bare back, or branding with a hot iron. Schools were scarce and only the simplest fundamentals were taught. Remember, we are talking about conditions in 1818 when David was three years old. Business was usually confined to barter and exchange of commodities. I want to include here some of the actual entries concerning Penrods and Kellers which are found in the "History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois", which I received from the Illinois State Historical Library, in Springfield, Illinois. In 1814 Emanuel Penrod and Alexander Boggs were among those listed as having arrived in the area of Union County. (Perhaps this Alexander Boggs was a relative of Polly Boggs who married David's father, Lewis Penrod.) A county Commissioners' court for the new county was elected, and the first Court was held March 2, 1818. The court declared the road leading from Elvira to Jackson and from Penrod's to Elvira, public roads and overseers were appointed. Robert H. Loyd was licensed to open a tavern. The first county order ever issued was one for $2 to Samuel Pen rod for a wolf scalp. This court realized that the main stay of life was "suthin” to eat and drink, and with a wise forethought that is to be forever commended, they ordered that the price of whisky should be 12 ½ cents per half pint; rum, 50 cents; dinner, supper and breakfast 25 cents each; bed 12 ½ cents; horse to stand at hay and corn all night, 37 ½ cents. Thus, the young county was full blown, and was well started on her future great career. Courts and officers were in their positions, and the roads arranged for, and the price of meat and drink regulated to a nicety. Who was here to enjoy all its blessings, fell the great forest trees and open farms, kill the wolves and wild animals and tame and civilize and make habitable for their descendants this great wilderness? A record of "marks and brands,” opened at once after the county was organized shows the following were here and registered their marks and brands. Samuel Penrod's name was listed as well as a number of names of those whose sons married into the Penrod and Keller family. The Vancil's, the Mclntosh's, and among those who had entered land within the county were in addition to Samuel Penrod, the Meisenheimers and Alexander Boggs. At this, the first term of the court, the sheriff returned a grand jury and David Penrod was one of the men on it. This was then known as the Western District of the Territory of Illinois. On the second day the second case was against a Samuel G. Penrod for retailing liquors (no license). The settlement of Dongola Precinct dates back to an early period of the county's history. The privations of its early pioneers were such as none but stout hearts would dare to encounter. Nothing but the hopeful inspiration of manifest destiny urged them to persevere in bringing under the dominion of civilized man what was before them—a howling wilderness. These sturdy sons of toil were mostly from North Carolina. One of the early families was that of Meisenheimer. (Grandmother Keller's sister married into this family. Martin Hoffner, the Beggs family [there were several spellings of the name Beggs, Baggs and Boggs] from the records it appears that there were three separate families.) The Kellers, Youst, Coke and Levi Patterson were also North Carolinians and settled early. Joseph, Abraham, and Absalom Keller came in early, and are all dead. Abraham has a son living in the precinct (Abraham is the father of Temperance who married David Penrod); Absalom has two sons living, but Joseph's children are all dead or moved away. They settled east of the village, and were plain old farmers. Many other families might rank as early settlers, but their names have been forgotten or overlooked. To attempt to write, in this chapter, the history of every family, in the order in which they came into the precinct, would be a task be-yond the reach of human power. The hard life of these early settlers is a theme often discussed. It was a hard life, but in many cases it was as the people themselves made it. There was then as now, great difference in the forethought and thrift of the inhabitants. Some families always had plenty, such as it was, while others were ever hard run to make both ends meet, and not infrequently, try as they might, the ends did not get quite together. So it was, just as it is today, by good management some glided along smoothly, while others eked out a bare subsistence. The first mill in the precinct was a horse mill built by Youst Coke. A Water mill was built early by David Penrod, on Cypress Creek, but it has long ago passed away. The first voting place in the precinct was at Philip Hinkle's, northeast of Dongola. (Abraham Keller's wife was Sarah Hinkle.) (End of quotes from History of Union County; comments in parenthesis are mine.) There were no settlements in the state in the middle and northern sections. Indians still used these areas for their hunting grounds. The government maintained some Forts in these areas and there were some French traders and agents of the American Fur company trading with the Indians. Fear of the Indians and delay of the government in establishing regulations to secure title to the lands delayed the settling until about 1825. A few sawmills were in existence and lumbering was practiced, but only for local and home consumption. There was no demand for lumber outside of local settlements, and commerce in either coal or lumber was non-existent. The lumber from their rude sawmills was used for building purposes, and for making wagons, farming implements and furniture for local use. These sawmills were mostly operated by horse-power until the use of steam power commenced about 1830, when steam sawmills were erected and utilized. Even in 1830 there were no railroads nor even decent wagon roads, and even if there had been demand from outside of the state for Illinois lumber or coal as it was later, that demand could not have been met. The foregoing gives us a small picture of David's ancestors for three generations beyond him and the conditions in Illinois when his father and grandfather and other members of the family settled there. We see that the Penrod's had been Pioneer settlers in Illinois as well as Pennsylvania and Maryland before ever coming to Illinois. Now, ..... let us all remember that Grand-father, David, and Grandmother, Temperance, came to Utah and were here in these valleys during the early settlements here. ..... Let us remember that many generations have come and gone since they came, and that their descendants have grown into a mighty throng. When we are enjoying these beautiful surroundings let us not forget that they too loved Old Timpanogos, and all these mountains, lakes and streams. Also our Spring and Summer and that they too watched many autumns, and undoubtedly watched the mountains change from moment to moment as the light changes on them; they never look just the same. Life flows along, ...... filled with pleasant days, ...... here in our valley homes. If we were called as pioneers, how would we stand the test? Their descendants are standing the test ! Many have served as missionaries. Many, many more have served as soldiers for our beloved country, and served it well. Yes, we are trying to stand the test. Grandmother and Grandfather Penrod. Your descendants are stalwart men and noble women. Some are Bishops, Presidents of Relief Society's, Mutual's, Primary's, Quorum's of the Priesthood, and whatever the calling, they do it to the best of their ability. Many vocations are represented, such as school teachers, mechanics, electricians, carpenters, cattle men, fruit growers, and farmers. A number have become fine artists and musicians, and others are very talented in the field of poetry and writing. Whatever the work they follow, as far as-we know, -all the descendants are upright, law abiding citizens who Love the Lord and are trying to bring up their children in the way they should go. These are the things that count. by Bessie Y. Keetch

Children of David Penrod & Temperence Keller by Eva E. Penrod Sabin

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

Children of David Penrod & Temperence Keller Written by Eva E. Penrod Sabin on November 24, 1950 William William was a jovial, free-hearted man who always looked on the bright side of life. He moved from Provo, Utah to Wallsburg where his brother Abraham lived. The following poem was composed by his daughter-in-law Sarah Ann Penrod. Whistling Bill He whistled in the morning when the dew was on the grass He whistled in the evening to finish up his task. This whistling Bill was the man of the times Whose name we shall honor always. Whistling Bill was a Sport; he could ride, he could rope He could take a joke and give one as well, He could laugh, he could smile, At the things worth while, That's the man called Whistling Bill. His Whistling was known to friends far and wide As the man that could whistle in Joy, Sorrow and Pride. He would saddle old Pet and whistle the while As he made preparations to visit the folks. Whistling Bill is now dead, but was reverence his name Of the noblest of men, the Father of us all. William and his wife Polly Ann left Wallsburg on October 26, 1878 with their twelve children. Many times he came back to visit His brothers he said never had time to visit him They were always after that dollar Out on the end of a stick. They settled in Pine Top, Arizona where they lived all their lives. Their posterity at the time of William's death in 1942 was 897, so people said. He died in Pine Top, Arizona on August 23, 1916. Elizabeth Elizabeth married William Wall and settled in Wallsburg. The town was named in honor of her husband; he was its founder. They lived in the days when polygamy was being practiced. William had five wives, all of whom lived near each other and were never known to speak a cross word to one another. There was harmony and a good wholesome feeling among them always. Although William died young, they all showed their love for him by not marrying again, but raised their children in honor. She died on April 15, 1925. Israel Israel was a conscientious, home-loving man who lived wholly for his wife and nine children. He married Anna Philips. Their children are all respectable and are following in the footsteps of their parents. Israel died on September 1, 1910 in Provo, Utah where he lived all his life. Christena Christena married James Smith who already had one wife. She became lame early in life and continued so until her death. On her deathbed, the trouble was discovered, for a pin she had swallowed while young was taken from her hip. She was a patient sufferer, but a very industrious woman. She always kept her house neat and clean with flowers growing all around her home. She always wore a smile to greet the members of her family or friends that chanced to call. She died on February 4, 1902 in Provo, Utah. Abraham Abraham was born in Hancock County, Iowa on July 12, 1844. He married Ellen Eliza Durfee. Their family consisted of six children; two of which were born in Provo, the other four in Wallsburg where he lived all his married life. He helped in the Black Hawk Indian War to defend the settlers against the savages that were stealing cattle, burning buildings and massacring the people. He furnished his own horse, blankets, saddle, firearms, and bullet mold. He molded his own bullets from melted lead. At times, these men called away from their homes for weeks at a time, and for months with no thought of pay, to do their duty to protect the women, children, and their homes in the mountains. This was lasted several years. Several years before his wife's death, she received a few hundred dollars as back pension and twelve dollars as long as she lived for Abraham's service for his country. Abraham died on December 26, 1893 in Wallsburg, Utah. David Nephi David Nephi must have been a lover of God because he surely loved his fellow men. He and his wife Elizabeth Baum lived for their children and each other. They were truly a happy couple working side by side; he helping her and she helping him. After her death, he pined his life away and died seven months later. "He was loved and highly honored by everybody and lived by the side of the Road and was a friend to Man". This poem was read at his services. At his request, a brass band played at his funeral. They played as he had asked, slowly and softly at leaving home "for he hated to leave his dear loved place" until they reached the meeting place. From there, he wanted them to play fast and loud for he was glad to go and join his wife. His wishes were carried out at the amazement of all who saw and heard the band. He died April 30, 1915 in Provo. Temperance Temperance married Joseph Evans. She was a kind and loving mother. She outlived her good husband by a great many years. They had seven children which made her declining years ones of pleasure. She died January 12, 1934. Menerva Olive Menerva Olive married George Meldrum, and they lived in a cosy house in Provo. Before her marriage, she taught school, and from what I hear, was a sweet wife. But, she was taken away at the birth of her first child Menerva. I was too young to know anything of her life. She died on January 26, 1879. Ephraim Ephraim lived with his parents but a few years, dying at the age of twelve years on April 26, 1865. Amasa Amasa is a quiet, sincere, likeable man, having great love for his brothers and sisters and family. He enjoyed very much the opportunity of living so near his brother Nephi. He always walked over to see him before retiring at night. If he did not come, his brother knew that something was wrong and would go over to Amasa's to see what was the matter. He married first Mimer Wright who died when her fifth child was born. Out of her five children, only two were living. Before her death, she asked her sister Hannah to care for the children. Later, Amasa married Hannah, and they had seven children. Most of them live near him ,and now that he is ninety two years old, they are a great comfort to him as well as he is a blessing to them. He still lives in the same home he so enjoyed when his first wife was living. Both wives were grand, loveable women, and perfect in his sight. Amasa was born November 12, 1858. Other Children Sarah Evelyn and Polly Elmina died in infancy. Conclusion We know that when this family all met in Heaven, there was great rejoicing together, for all had done what was required of them for the higher exaltation. - Eva E. Penrod Sabin November 24, 1950

BIOGRAPHY: History of David Penrod--SL Library Utah Pub A 1950 - - Daughters of Utah Pioneers & Historical Pamphlet by Kate B. Carter. Page 394-5 and 437

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

BIOGRAPHY: History of David Penrod David Penrod son of Lewis and Polly Penrod was born 9 January 1815 in Jackson County, Illinois. While living in Illinois he was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He attended the school of the prophets which was held in one room of the Kirtland Temple. Here a great number of subjects were taught and studied among them the Hebrew language. This was a great help as the Old Testament scriptures were written in the language of the Hebrew. He also studied public speaking and received a diploma from the school. He served also as a bodyguard for the Prophet Joseph Smith. He married Temperance Keller who was born 17 November 1817 in Roan County, North Carolina and died 15 November 1893 at Provo, Utah. David and Temperance, her parents Abraham and Sally Keller with their six children: Elizabeth, Eva, Israel, Christine, Abraham and Solomon made the journey to Utah with Orson Hyde Company in 1849. Like the rest of the pioneer immigrants they had many trials and sorrows in their journey across the plains. Among them being the leaving of their loved ones along the way in fresh graves. David and his wife buried one of their children while crossing the plains which caused them much sorrow and a taste of their faith. But with stout hearts they traveled on trusting in the wisdom of the Lord in calling their child home. A few days later, however, his wife Temperance took the cholera and so was ill the company was compelled to go on without her, leaving her husband, David, and one of the ladies of the company to care for her. Through the faith and prayers of her loved ones she soon rejoined the company. David drove the oxen and the children took turns driving the cows and picking up buffalo chips for the fire at camp time. Their son Abraham with a friend, Charles Gardner, made trips back to assist other saints to make the journey to Utah. The family lived in Salt Lake City about a year and a half then moved to Provo. David located at the old fort where the Walter Cox place now stands and a monument in memory of the Mormon Pioneers had been erected on the roadside going to Utah Lake. On 24 October 1850 David Nephi was born to David and Temperance, the second child to be born in the fort after it was completed. Later David and his family moved to a four room adobe house on main street in Provo between third and fourth west. It was here that four more children were born: Ephraim, Amasa, Temperance and Olive making ten in all. David was a farmer, stockraiser and sheepraiser. He would shear them then his wife washed the wool and take it to Shedrick Hodaways' Home for him to make it into rolls. Grandmother then would spin it into yarn to make stockings, shawls and other things. One of his farms was located at 12 North and University Avenue where his sons, David and Amasa, later built homes and lived the rest of their lives. David was a staunch believer in education and encouraged his family to take advantage of all opportunities (two of his daughters, Temperance and Olive taught school). He was a good member of his church and loved to assist in anyway possible to further the Lord's work. He hauled granite and other materials to help in the building of the Salt Lake Temple. He was one of three men ordained to the Seventy's Quorum. He was on the first jury of the district court held in 1856. He was one of the brave men who took part in the Black Hawk War and his name is engraved on a monument built in honor of the heroes of that war. David died 26 February 1872 in Provo of Cramp Colic, later called appendicitis. After his death the boys built grandmother a frame house on twelfth north near their homes. She moved there as soon as the house was done. This house still stands. It was lonesome for their mother so the boys built a two roomed frame house for her situated between Amasa's and Nephi's homes. They did not tell her they were building it. It wasn't hard to keep it a secret because where she was living and where they built the new home was over a mile a way When it was completed and ready to move into some of them took her for a ride while the others moved her belongings to the new home. She thought it seemed an extremely long ride and once asked them if it wasn't time they should be taking her home. Was she ever surprised and happy that she could scarcely believe what she saw. She lived the rest of her life in this house. In the Pioneer Museum in Provo, Utah, is an old chair on display with the following notation pinned on the chair. "David Penrod (pioneer) and his wife Temperance Keller brought this chair across the plains in 1849. While crossing the plains one of their children died and was buried on the plains. Soon after this Temperance Keller Penrod, the wife and mother was stricken with the dread disease, cholera, but was healed by faith," It is medium sized chair with a rawhide laced bottom. 8/18/1964 SL Library Utah Pub A 1950 - - Daughters of Utah Pioneers & Historical Pamphlet by Kate B. Carter. Page 394-5 and 437 Companies of 1850 On June 20th two companies left, 44 Wagons under the direction of Wilford Woodruff arrived in Salt Lake October 14th, and the 50 Wagons captained by Stephen Markham entered the valley Oct 1st. (pg395) The LDS Church emigration of 1850 to Utah in 10 Companies. NAME: AGE:DATE of BIRTH: PLACE of BIRTH: Penrod, David359 Jan 1815Ill Penrod, Temperance3318 Nov 1817North Carolina Penrod, William Lewis1827 July 1832 Penrod, Elizabeth149 Sept 1836 Penrod, Israel1213 Mar 1838 Penrod, Christine 86 Mar 1842Iowa Penrod, Abraham 612 July, 1844 Penrod, David Nephi 024 Oct, 1850

Chair brought across the plains

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

This chair was brought across the plains by David and Temperance Penrod. It is on display at the Provo Pioneer Museum. The attached note says, "David Penrod and his wife, Temperance Keller, brought this chair across the plains in 1849. While crossing the plains, one of their children died and was buried. Soon after this Temperance Keller Penrod was stricken by cholera but was healed by faith."

Experiences of David Abraham Penrod while on a mission to Kentucky

Contributor: Taneya Created: 11 months ago Updated: 11 months ago

I left Wallsbrug, Utah County, Utah on the 30th day of October 1905 for a mission to southern states. I was sent to the state of Kentucky, where I labored until 1907. I had some experiences while in the mission field, while at Louisville. I got Ptomaine poison which made me very sick. I went from there to Bag Dad, Kentucky, where I met Elder Dyle. We labored together three months and were well pleased with our labors. One day we had been walking through the mud and rain until about twelve o'clock, I went to the door and asked for something to eat, the woman was washing and said she could not be bothered. I said, but we are hungry. The woman said, I am in a hurry, I want to go to town this afternoon and can't be bothered with you. She went on with her washing, she was scrubbing on a wash board, she did not stop while she was talking to us. I said - you might give us a hand out, and she said, "I can do that"' She went to the cupboard and when she turned around she had a plate in each hand, one was rounded up slices of boiled ham (Oh Boy). The other with bread, I said to her, "We cannot very well take that in our hands, why can't we sit down to that table and eat"? She said "That is alright with me." I called Eldae Dyle and by the time we got the mud cleaned off our feet she had set the table and a very nice meal fixed, with fruit of several kinds and most anything one would care for. When we left she said, "if you come this way again be sure and stop, next time I will try and do better". The Lord does provide for his servants who are in need." In 1906 My companion and I were invited to hold a meeting in a Baptist church, we had several miles to walk and on that account were a little late. The church was full of people. When we arrived we went up to the pulpit and took a seat, two men came up to us and asked us to come out side. We followed these tow men out in front of the church and all the congregation followed. These two me were Baptist Deacons, they said "there were some objections to our preaching in that church".a and there was sure a great confusion among the crowd, they wanted us to preach in the church, we asked who owned all these lovely trees, one follow stepped up and said, "I do and you just preach any where you like, and just as close to the church as you like." And he showed us where his line came to, about two feet from the church. WE tole them we would hold meeting under the trees by the side of the church, In less than five minutes every bench in the church was ;out under trees and all arranged just right. In a very short time it looked as if it would rain as hard as it every rains in the south, and it rains in the country. It thundered and the lightning flashed, we held meeting for 1 1/2 hours and it did not rain one drop. When meeting was over the benches were put back in the church and it sure did rain for about thirty minutes, We just visited and had a jolly good time while it rained, in a short time the sun came out and we all went home feeling good, That church just decayed and tumbled down and there never was another meeting held in it. We were nest sent into Rockcastle Co. Kentucky to preach there, as were were going through the blue grass, people would ask where wer were going. When we were told we were goint to Rockcastle, Co. they would say, " you will never get out, you will never get out," of that county. And at time it looked as though we never would get out. Of course we had some friends, aI thinkk more friends than enemies. There was one family that seemed to be the most bitter against us. The woman or mother of that family would have done most anything to have gotten us ELders Tared and feathered. The Lord being on our side or the Lord with our help got a great may converts in that country. We did the baptism in the Rockcastle river, This family that was so bitter lived on the opposite side of the river from where we baptized.; An in a month or so she and her family would watch us while we were baptizing. Then they asked questions. Later on they asked us over to the house, they because the best or among the best of friends we had. One day she said to the Elders, "I have a dream that I want to tell you. A few nights ago Chare Robinson (he was their Baptist Minister), was here in our house, I could hear some fox hounds upon the ridge and from the noise they were making I know they were chasing a fox (when a hound is chasing a fox he will bark or yelp every jump that he makes.) She said that she asked the minister if any of his hounds were among those dogs, and he said he did not know. She said she could tell by the circle they were making that they would likely come through a glade of a few acres which was at the back of the house. She went toto they back door to watch for them, She was watching for the fox to come into the glade and to her surprise she saw four of the prettiest white sheep that she every saw in her life, come into the glade. They turned toward the house, before they got up to the house, she saw the hounds come into the glade, there were twelve of them. When the sheep got nearly up to the house, they were changed into a mob of twelve me, they were after the Mormon Elders. She awoke, it was a dream. She was baptized in a short time after that. In a few days after that a mob followed us for a long distance through the woods, but we die not know at that time that they were after us. We passed within a short distance of them, but the woods were thick and they did not know where we were. We had two meetings appointed for that night. We went to the church with a guard of eight me and twelve men guarded the house while we had meeting. And every man in the Audience had a gun in his hand. The mod did not get us, This is some of our experiences in RockCastle County. Elder Earnest Sheet from Salem, Utah was my companion also in Kentucky. We had been holding meetings in the fall of the year in a certain community for a week., or so, when we got worked from the conference president to go to another part of the state. We go started early one morning to to to our new field of labor, We a walked with a keen step until about twelve o'clock, when I stopped - looked at Elder Sheen and said, "I feel impressed to go back to the place we left this morning, I can't tell just how I got it, I really don't know if I heard a voice or what it was." Elder Sheen said, "IF you feel impressed to go back we will go back." We turned around with out any more conversation or hesitation and went back to the home we had left that morning. When we got to the house it was nearly dark so we had waled fast all day long. One of us knocked on the door, the lady of the house said, come in, we waited for her to open the door. She opened the door at the same time said, I knew it was you, I want to be baptized. I have been praying for the Lord to send you back and I knew that you would come. ( some hunch). We baptized here and then started to our know field of labor. While Elder Sheen and I were going to our new field of Labor we were traveling through the thick woods, The road came out on the ridge and followed down the same long long side of a deep canyon, we were in a part of the country that we had been in before. WE could see a big fine house on the side of the canyon, I said Elder Sheen we can stay over night to that house if we can get to it. We decided to got to that house. It was nearly sundown then, before we got to the house it was very dark. The weather had taken on a change, it was cloudy and the only way that we could see the road was by the flashes of lightening. Well, we got to the house, knocked on the door, a man answered the knock, We told him who were were and what we wanted. He said "come in gentlemen". He led us to a real nice room told us to be seated, after which he talked to us a few minutes, and he left the room. In a short time he came back and said to us"I cannot keep you tonight." You maybe can partly imagine how surprised we were, We asked him why he could not keep us, he made the same reply. We asked hime if we had done anything to offend hime since we came under his roof, he said we had not. Well we talked and tried to make a friend of him but nothing doing, We told him that we didn't thin there was another house with in several miles of his, and it was so dark we couldn't find it if there was. And it would be raining as hard as it every rained in that country in a few minutes, But he only shook his head and said we could not stay. (Some nerve he had saying nothing about us). I said to him " Are you going to put us out in that rain? To stand all night?" He only said " Yoy cannot stay here"' At this I stepped up to him looked him square in the eyes and said to hime " You told us we could stay in this house tonight, you said we have acted like gentlemen, and have done nothing to offend you, and we are going to stay do you get that"/ He stared at me and left the room (to be continued Ha Ha.) Well we did not know what the next scene would b, but this we knew unless we had a gun or some more men that we could stay. I wasn't at all scared. In about thirty minutes eh door opened, can you imagine the greeting we got, He said, Gentlemen supper is ready". He took us to the dining room where a nice supper was served, the to a very nice room and bed. (Thanks, beats staying out in the rain) I and my Companion labored in a certain community in 1906, dud some baptizing and was sent back to that part of the county in 1907. There was one woman that heard us preach in 1906 but was not converted to the L.D.S. Doctrine, some time before we arrived in that part of the country, she had a dream, (So she told us). She dreamed that she and her family went to church, there was a large crowd at the church, they waited a long time for the preacher to come, but he did not come at all. After waiting until they were all tired, she said that she heard a voice, and it said, "I am going to send Elder Penrod", and the Mormon Elders arrived, of course they were baptized. She had been praying to be guided to the truth. And many more in that community were baptized that summer in 1907. My companion and I ahad been holding meetings in a church for some time, a week or so, and went to town to get our mail. We were sitting out in front of the post office reading the letters that had come from Utah. I heard some loud talking in sid the building but did not pay much attention to it, until I heard some say old Joe Smith, I wadded up my letters and stuffed then in my pocket, and in there I went. As I entered the door a Man that was better than six feet high, a big rawboned husky, and would weight nearly tow hundred pounds come at me like a lion with froth running out his mouth. He was crazy mad, He shook his fist at me and said all the mean things he could think of, He waived his hands and arms around me shouting and jumping at the same time, after some time he said, "Give me a Sign, Give me a sign"' he kept up his shouting and jumping all the while. Here was a big crowd in the post office, I said to him, If you want a sign I will give it too you. He got the sign, when I spoke, or give him a sign, he said no more, turned as pale as death, Turned from me and staggered towards the door, I thought he was going to fall, but he didn't. I went to the door in a minute but could see nothing of him. That night I had a dream, I am sure it was, I saw a church that we were going to hold a meeting in, but before the meeting started there was a croud of men gathered on the south side of the church, There was a belfry and let it hand down on the South side of the building. They gathered around me and was going to tie that rope to my neck. But there was a young man that I had made a friend of that stepped up and interceded for me and saved my life. HA, HA. I would rather be a live coward than a dead hero. The next day we went to a town near by to hold some meetings (That is if we could get a chance). We went to one of the trustees of their church, he told us he was willing to let hold meetings in the church, but that there was non more trustee that we would need to see. This one lived two miles from town and across the river. As we were on our way to see the other trustee, we went by the said church, There it was just as I had seen it the night before all but the rope and the men. I did not say anything to my companion about the dream. We went to the river and in a few minutes a team and wagon came along and the driver gave us a ride across the river. Then we went to the other trustee and he also gave us permission to hold meetings in the church, We had dinner with and rested and chatted a while, then we started back to the town where we were intending to hold meeting. When we got to the river we had crossed when we left the town, we waited a couple of minutes, We saw a team and wagon coming. When we got to the river he wan't going to stop so we asked him to stop which he did. He had a wagon bed on his wagon plenty of room to ride. We asked him if he would let us ride across the river, you may or may not, Imagine how surprised I was when he said, you may not ride across the river on my wagon. I said you don't mean to tell us that you will not let us ride across the river with you? "He said that is what I mean." I thought to myself what is the trouble, I have crossed streams in the Southern states hundreds of times, never was refused a ride before, neither had to wait very long for to get a chance. Well several teams came along that afternoon, not one of them would let us ride across the river. I told my companion while we were sitting on the banks of that river that I felt there were ten thousand devils around us. Well we finally decided to give it up and we went to the trustee that was on the side of the river that we were on, and phoned to the other trustee to have him tell the people we could not get across the river, and to tell all he saw there wouldn't be a meeting. The we started off in another direction to look for entertainment for the night. We were walking towards the house, it was nearly dark and the man of the house opened the door of the house wide and said " come in you are the man that debated with Reverend Odais.' I ad debated with a Minister and nearly every one in that part knew of it. We heard that there were only men came to that church where we were going to hold meeting, and they intended to use us rough but some one interceded. I know who ti was ( My Heavenly Father). Since the debate has been mentioned I will say a few words about it. We started in for a two weeks debate but the minister or the Reverend Odais did not last long. They day before the debate started my companion, who was Elder David Sessions from Idaho Falls said to me Elder Penrod you are going to whip him, He said he saw me debating with Odasis in a dream the night before, and when it was over he saw B. H. Roberts walk down the aisle and out of the front door as proud as he ever saw him in his life. While Elder Sessions and I were traveling together we labored in a part of the country where people were wealthy. One night we had traveled a long ways seeking entertainment before we got it, Elder Sessions would lie down by the gate while I would go in and try and get entertainment. He got so tired and weary that he just begged me to let him lie there until morning, but I would say to him come on Elder we will get a place to stay yet tonight. We finally found a Minister that took us for the night. We had not been in the shelter long when it started to rain, and it rained all night. Well the minister and I got to discussing passages of scripture and I guess I must have been getting the best of the argument. Along about twelve 0'clock, he jumped up took hold of the back off the chair he was sitting in, with both hands, held it over my head and said, " If you don't keep still I will bust this chair over your head". Believe it or not I took his work for it HA, HA. I did not care to go out in that rain at twelve o'clock at night. Elder Cofford and I held some meetings in the Wiles of Kentucky. The first night that we held a meeting in this part of the country, we told the people before we dismissed meeting that we would like some of them to give us entertainment for the night. Well every one of them left the church but the two Mormon Elders. Elder Crofford said to me, Elder Penrod what are we going to do? We can cut some of these bowes off of those trees and make us a bed on the floor, we walked out to the trees and found that the fog had made them wetter that a hard rain would have done, well that part of it was all off. ELder Crofford went back in the church, I stopped in from of the door and looked around at the sky, and said to myself, "{wont't God hear the prayer of my wife and children this night." in a few minutes I saw two men coming through a trail in the woods not far from me. They came up, talked to us, asked some questions and took us home with them. So the prayers of my wife and children were answered, as they were many times before and after. David Abraham Penrod Wasatch Co. Wallsburg, Utah Labored as a Missionary in the years 1906-1907 in Kentucky.

Life timeline of David Penrod

David Penrod was born on 9 Jan 1815
David Penrod was 11 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
See More
David Penrod was 17 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
David Penrod was 25 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
David Penrod was 45 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
David Penrod was 48 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
David Penrod died on 26 Feb 1872 at the age of 57
Grave record for David Penrod (9 Jan 1815 - 26 Feb 1872), BillionGraves Record 6097 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States