David J. Wilson

7 Jun 1843 - 19 Sep 1912

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

David J. Wilson

7 Jun 1843 - 19 Sep 1912
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

LIFE OF MARY ELLEN WILSON CLUFF HAYMORE FOURTH WIFE OF FRANKLIN DEMARCUS HAYMORE (taken from “THE HAYMORE BOOK”) Mary Ellen Wilson Cluff, better known as Mazie, was born in Springlake, Utah, 29 January 1874. Her parents were David Johnson Wilson and Julia Didamia Johnson. She was from a family o

Life Information

David J. Wilson


Hillsdale Cemetery

2650 E Road
Panguitch, Garfield, Utah
United States


July 5, 2015

Ron Haymore

June 2, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of David J.


David J. Wilson is buried in the Hillsdale Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



LIFE OF MARY ELLEN WILSON CLUFF HAYMORE - fourth wife of Franklin Demarcus Haymore

Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

LIFE OF MARY ELLEN WILSON CLUFF HAYMORE FOURTH WIFE OF FRANKLIN DEMARCUS HAYMORE (taken from “THE HAYMORE BOOK”) Mary Ellen Wilson Cluff, better known as Mazie, was born in Springlake, Utah, 29 January 1874. Her parents were David Johnson Wilson and Julia Didamia Johnson. She was from a family of two brothers and eight sisters, Pearl Melissa being one of them. The Wilson family had moved to Arizona when Mazie was nine years old. While there, her father bought an organ and Mazie learned how to play it. Later they moved to Mexico and Mazie helped to drive one of the teams and wagon. They settled in Colonia Diaz, Chihuahua, Mexico. Mazie completed her schooling there and met and married Orson LeRoy Cluff. He passed away and left Mazie with two small sons, one of whom soon followed his father in death. The Relief Society organization was encouraging young women to come to Salt Lake and take a nursing course from Margaret Shipp and Dr. Jane Schofield. The colonists needed this type of training, so Mazie's parents cared for her baby LeRoy, while she was in Salt Lake. She completed the training and returned to Mexico. Franklin D. Haymore came from the Sonora Colonies to Colonia Juarez to conference. He came into the meeting place just as Mazie was going up the stairs and he spoke to her. While he had been married to Pearl Melissa, Mazie and her husband LeRoy had visited them on many occasions, so their meeting was warm and cordial. When Franklin D. first saw Mazie on the stairs, the thought came to him “she is the one I want to marry.” She knew he was a fine man and had been a good husband to her sister, Pearl, so she accepted his proposal and they were married 14 September 1908 in Colonia Juarez, Mexico. Franklin, with Mazie and her son LeRoy, went to Oaxaca together on a load of freight. As they drove into town he stopped first at his son, Arthur's place, and Abby came out to greet him. She was surprised when he told her the news about his new wife, Mazie. The children gathered round and they decided the little boys were out of style because LeRoy wore his knickerbockers below the knee, and they wore their above. When Franklin pulled into his own yard he took his hat and waved it over his head and said “Yoo-hoo” to his children. Pearl, Tenna, Emma and Mildred scattered like quail into the grapevines by the side of his house wondering who Pa had brought home with him. He was delighted to have another wife who would help him care for his motherless children. While living in Colonia Oaxaca, Franklin would slip over to Abby's (wife of son Arthur) and get some of her delicious cooking. Apple pie or fresh baked bread just a slice of watermelon or whatever she had at the time to serve him. One day he forgot to take out his toothpick before returning home. Mazie asked him if he were hungry and he said, “Not too much.” She replied, “Well you forgot to wipe off your mouth.” After that he would ask Abby if his mouth was wiped off. Times were troubled in Mexico during this period. They had survived the flood, an earthquake, and now the U. S. Government was advising them to leave all their worldly possessions and cross the border into the protection of the United States. Demarcus was only two and Mazie was expecting another baby any time. They could not leave Mexico with her so close to delivery so Abby Jane Scott Haymore stayed to help take care of her. (Her husband, Arthus S., was on a mission in Mexico.) Franklin Reynard was born 24 July 1912 and the family remained in Colonia Oaxaca as long as they dared for the recuperation of Mazie. Franklin D. made a bed in the wagon box for Mazie and the baby. They were the last family to leave Colonia Oaxaca. They took very few belongings with them as they had about 85 miles to journey. They lived in tents in Douglas, Arizona at the 10th street park, which were provided by the U. S. Army. Later Franklin D. built a very nice two-story brick home at 1139-8th Street in Douglas, Arizona. Franklin carried on the tradition of the birthday dinners and Dumpling Day. He loved people and food and always had plenty of both on these special occasions. It was before Franklin and Mazie moved into the house on 8th Street that another baby boy, David Wilson, was born 29 August 1914, but he passed away as an infant. Family prayers were part of their home life, as well as music and good time. The children of all the mothers were always welcome in the Haymore home as Mazie was their mother now. Franklin D. loved all of the children including Pearl Melissa Brown (child by third wife by a previous marriage) and LeRoy Cluff. Franklin D. had two jersey cows which he brought from Chihuahua, Mexico. Mazie did the milking. She would milk into a saucepan, hoding it in one hand and milking with the other, then pour the milk into bright copper milk buckets. Franklin D. never learned to milk cows because he said in North Carolina where he was raised, the women always did the milking. He said the cows didn't like the men. During the winter months they moved to Gilbert, Arizona to me near Arthur. Here Franklin purchased a farm and they raised most of their food. Franklin became ill and was taken to El Paso, Texas, for an operation, from which he never fully recovered. They alternated their living between Douglas and Gilbert. In 1930, Franklin built a nice two-story brick home in Mesa, Arizona. With such a large family there were always problems. One day Franklin and Mazie were having words with one another when Ellen walked into the room. Mazie stopped Ellen and said, “But he (Franklin) is a good man.” Then she related the following incident to prove her point: Franklin D. had a misunderstanding with a friend, P. C. Haynie, over some land and cattle. The Bishop's court decided in favor of Brother Haynie. Instead of turning from the church, Franklin D. faithfully carried out his duties. At the end of the year, Bishop Scott was released as Bishop and Franklin D. was sustained as the Bishop of the Oaxaca Ward. Mazie's health was not very good and on the 7th of June 1931 she passed away at a Phoenix hospital following a goiter operation. She was buried at Douglas, Arizona. What a wonderful woman. Mazie was able to step into the Haymore household and was found to be a faithful, devoted wife to Franklin D., a tender, loving mother not only to her own child LeRoy, but to all of the Haymore children. She was blessed with wisdom and god judgment to care for the needs of Franklin D. in his aged years. Surely she will wear a crown of jewels and be called blessed. She truly is a great lady. Franklin D. was bedridden at the time of Mazie's passing, so he was taken to the chapel on a stretcher in an ambulance. She had been his wife and constant companion for 23 years. Now, in the sunset of his life, he was left in care of trained help. Franklin outlived four wives and many children. He rented a home on 7th Street in the 1100 block in Douglas. Here he lived with Franklin, Ellen and a practical nurse. His children and grandchildren were a great comfort to him. He received visits from many of them, giving him the love he had earned as a fine, noble man, a peacemaker, and a true Latter-day Saint. Indeed it pleased him to have the family and friends gather together to honor him on his birthday. (He called it Dumpling Day.) He was thankful for the wonderful work that had been done in genealogical research for the loved ones long since passed away. He encouraged all to love one another, keep up the temple work, that we might some day in one of God's kingdoms be eternally united as one large, happy family. What more could he ask? What more could he give?


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

THE LIFE OF DAVID JOHNSON WILSON by Ester Delcina Wilson Lewis George Deliverance Wilson, father of David Johnson Wilson, was born at Chittendon, Vermont, December 28, 1807. He was the son of Deliverance Wilson Jr. and Lovina Fairchild of English descent. His forefather, Robert, died in 1644 in England. Benjamin Wilson, his son, came from London, England in 1665 and settled in Massachusetts. When a young man, George Deliverance Wilson, my grandfather, contracted consumption and commenced to travel for his health. He heard of the restored gospel and came to Kirtland, Ohio to investigate. The Prophet gave him a Book of Mormon. He asked how he might find out if it were true, and the Prophet said, “Read it, and if not satisfied read it again.” Reading resulted in his conversion and of his father's family. Grandfather was in the last stages of consumption. After his baptism he speedily recovered, and during the years of 1847 and 1848 he worked in a shop repairing wagons. He then followed the church to Nauvoo. In 1842 he married Mary Ellen Johnson, sister of the Patriarch B. F. Johnson. Mary Ellen, not having the best of health, sought a blessing of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He promised her she should become a mother in Israel. This promise was fulfilled in the birth of my father, David J. Wilson, born June 7, 1842 in Nauvoo, Illinois. Later at the birth of another son, George Jacob, his mother passed away and the infant soon followed. My father David was then left in the care of a loving grandmother, Julia Hills Johnson, who was the mother of 16 children of her own and caring for three other motherless children. The Prophet had been a frequent visitor in her home up to the time of his death and left his fine influence there. My father had only faint recollections of those early days of persecutions but remembers looking out the window one morning and seeing the Nauvoo Temple in flames. He also knew the fear of the mob who drove them from their home. He loved his grandmother dearly, and the early training she gave stayed with him throughout his life. He had a faint recollection of his own dear mother holding him on her knee and calling him her Manio and singing to him “Sweet Hour of Prayer.” David's father was one of the volunteers to go with the Mormon Battalion, so Father saw little of him for several years. However, after much privation and suffering, his father returned to the States, earned enough money to buy a new outfit, wagon, mules, etc., and wanted to take my father with him back to Utah, but the folks said, “It would break grandmother's heart to part with David after she has kept him so long.” Yet David regretted much not going with his father, for his beloved grandmother soon died, and he was left with relatives who were not so considerate to him. At the age of eleven or twelve, in order to get to his father in Utah, he had to walk barefooted, driving cows all the way. He carried with him the treasures his mother left: a lock of hair, a half dozen teaspoons, a string of gold beads. It was a happy reunion to be with his father again. Up to this time his schooling was very limited. Helping his father build and run sawmills did not allow much schooling, but he remembered the teachings of the Prophet that “The Glory of God is Intelligence.” So he applied himself every spare moment and became an educated man. He was a Black Hawk War Veteran and on one occasion his horse gave out, and he was left in the snow. When help came his foot was frozen, which bothered him the rest of his life. He was Married to Julia Didamia Johnson July 26, 1868 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. They made their first home in Spring Lake, Utah where their first four children were born: Julia Edith, David J. Jr., Pearl Melissa, and Mary Ellen. They spent the first nine years of their married life here; and then in 1875, with a yen for the timber and to be with his father again, he took mother and children to Southern Utah where his father, now married again, was rearing a family. The climate there was very cold, and they missed the lovely fruit and vegetables raised in the warmer climates. Here my father built a large two-story house of hewn logs, and it is here that I have my earliest recollections of my parents, one of which stands out. It was my sister Mary Ellen's eight birthday in January, and the river was frozen thick with ice. The three older children had been baptized on their birthdays. Rather than having her wait until spring, Father made a large box which they filled with enough warm water for the baptism. Then Father gathered us together for family prayers before Mazie, as we called her, was baptized. It was always Father's delight to have a peaceful happy home and to get for his family the things that were for their advancement and education. And above all it was his fine example of self-control which counted most. When I hear the quotation from the Bible, “He that is slow to anger is greater then the mighty, and he that ruleth his Spirit is greater than he that taketh a city.” I always associate it with my father. I never knew him to take any of the things forbidden in the Word of Wisdom, to eat between meals, to swear, or get angry and scold or whip when in anger, and if at all with only the tiniest willows. I never knew him to miss family prayers. He was a very quiet and unassuming man who preached a sermon only in his actions and few words. One one occasion when we were living in Diaz, Mexico, the governor of Chihuahua and his aids came to visit our colony. A big program and eats were prepared for them, and of course coffee was most essential. I was helping serve; the other girls sipped coffee, and I did too. My father came in one day; they offered him a cup, and I heard him say, “If I take coffee, one of my children might form the habit.” I think I have never tasted coffee from that day to this. At Hillsdale three more children, Sarah Centenna, Ester Delcena, and George Benjamin were added to their family. In 1880 the Johnsons were moving to Arizona; and Father and Mother, now tired of the cold, took their seven children and joined them in Tempe. The Johnson family were now quite numerous and were organized in church activities as well as in happy family reunions and social gatherings in the school house or in the old bowery. In the spring Father and Mother were afflicted with chills and fever, and our beloved oldest sister, Edith, contracted typhoid and died. When we moved out east of Tempe, six of us children walked two miles to school. Harriet and Rose were both born in Tempe, Harriet by and river and Rose east of Tempe. In 1887 the Johnson family were moving to Mesa, and we again followed. Father built us a home next to Aunt Delcena Babbitt. Our old home still stands west of the Lincoln school. Here we received word of the death of our grandfather, George D. Wilson, who attained the ripe old age of eighty while living in Hillsdale, Utah. The first day of January, 1888, our sister Gladys was born, and in the same year, July 5, we left Mesa for Mexico. We arrived in Mexico August 27, 1888 on brother Ben's birthday, December 3, 1890. In Colonia Diaz, Chihuahua, Mexico our sister Ruth was born, and how the whole family did rejoice over her arrival. A few days later, our grandfather B. F. Johnson came from Mesa and lived with us for a time. Father was very industrious and capable man and made employment for all his boys and girls when we were not needed in the house. He raised broom corn and made brooms which supplied the colonies; and with his three-hundred stands of bees, he supplied them with honey. We thought our father cold do anything. He also made molasses, was a carpenter, horticulturist, blacksmith and gardener. It was here in Diaz that we had our happiest times together in our large adobe house with its spacious front room. Father had it built with the help of Mexican labor as well as with that of his family. He managed to build from the foundation up, making panel doors and sashes for the windows and cutting all intricate rafters for the hip roof. It was here the neighbors came for parties and dances while our father's cousin, Stephen Wilson, played the violin and we accompanied him on the organ. Sister Mazie used to play the organ while we gathered around and sang. She taught us many songs which we still sing. We also had the grand privilege of some of the Apostles staying in our home when they came to visit the colonies. Brigham Young, John Henry Smith, and Apostle Teasdale came at different times. About this time Father took another wife, Miriam Adelia Cox, by whom he raised a family of eight children – four boys and four girls. Because of poor health, about 1896 or 1897 Father moved to Sonora, Mexico where by faith and prayer and a warmet climate he was healed. Most of his older children were married by this time. Here he worked hard with my brother Ben's help to build homes and gristmill. He suffered many reverses while clearing his farm of mesquite and putting up the mill. Six months before the Saints were driven from Mexico Father said, “The move is northward now,” so with what little he could take besides his families he drove to Mesa and stayed a few months, then went on to Southern Utah. There on September 19, 1912, he was laid to rest, by the side of his father at the age of 69 in Hillsdale, Utah.


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

LIFE OF JULIA DIDAMIA JOHNSON WILSON BY ESTHER W. LEWIS Our dear mother, Julia Didamia Johnson Wilson, was the daughter of Benjamin Franklin Johnson and Melissa Bloomfield LeBaron. She was born on 26th of September, 1846, in the Prophet's mansion in Nauvoo, Illinois. She was the third child out of a family of six children, Frank and Melissa being older and Esther, Delcina and Albin being younger. At the time of Julia's birth the Saints were being driven from their homes by the mobs who every day threatened to burn and destroy property and kill the Saints. After the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum had been murdered, the Church authorities asked Grandfather B. F. Johnson to keep the Mansion House open as a hotel for the Saints who were passing through the city. Before the Prophet's death, Grandfather had been his private secretary, and they had held property together. Grandfather lived in Ramas, a small town twenty miles out of Nauvoo before coming to the Mansion House. Here in Ramas he was building a beautiful brick house but was forced to sell it at a great sacrifice due to the persecutions of the Saints. When Grandfather and his family were driven from Nauvoo, Julia, our mother, was the baby. In crossing the river the ice commenced to crack, but the horses leaped forward with a great bound, which probably saved all from being drowned in the icy river, due to the mercies of the Lord. After they had crossed the Mississippi River and were camped on the other side in a grove of trees, their lives were threatened again. A tornado was headed toward their camp. Grandfather sent his family to a clearing to save their lives, he being too ill to go. But their lives were spared again, although the tornado caused much destruction and death. As they traveled west with the Pioneer Saints on their way to the Rocky Mountains, they stopped from time to time to plant gardens, and built temporary homes. While they were stopped at Bonapart, Iowa, another daughter was born to our Grandparents. They named her Esther Melita, who was born on Grandmother's birthday and also great-grandmother Julie Hill's birthday. As they traveled on their way, another frightening experience came to them. The three little girls were asleep on a bed made upon trunks in the bottom of the wagon, when suddenly the wagon tipped over and landed upside down. The parents despaired of saving the children but found them alive, although the baby was near smothering to death. And again through the mercies of the Lord no lives were lost. They arrived in Salt Lake in 1848 after enduring many hardships. Their supplies of food and clothing were almost depleted, and their suffering was great. Mother said Grandmother kept a little can of honey on the mantle for medicine. She said it tasted to her like all the “Lovely flavors of Heaven.” But Oh! The fear she suffered of Indians, wild animals, and Johnson's army. Mother was always anxious to learn to do all kinds of work. She learned to knit and sew when she was very young, and learned spinning and weaving at the age of fourteen. Her mother died when she was sixteen leaving her sorrow and responsibility. However, she grew to be a beautiful woman, tall, with dark hair and eyes, and was said to be the “belle of Utah County.” Above all she loved the gospel. She was married to David J. Wilson on July 26th, 1868 in Hillsdale, Utah. This was a grand occasion for family and friends. After her marriage she lived in Springlake, Utah, where four of her children were born: Edith, David, Mazie and Pearl. Then they moved to Hillsdale where Grandfather George Deliverance Wilson and Mother Martha Ann were rearing their large family. Here Centenna, Esther and Bennie were born. Mother taught her children to live clean, virtuous lives. How thrilled we were listening to her tell Bible and Christmas stories at bedtime, then pray at her knee in unison. We moved to Arizona in 1882, where Mother's father, B. F. Johnson, had moved with his large families. We lived in Tempe where Mother's family and Grandfather's family joined together in attending church activities and amusements. I remember Mother riding sidesaddle on “Old Bet,” our pet mare to Relief Society. Here in Tempe Harriet and Rose were born. Edith died in Tempe with typhoid fever. In Mesa, where we moved next, Gladys was born. In 1888 we moved to Old Mexico. Here in Diaz father built us a big adobe house with a spacious living room and sent for our Hammond organ. They started our sister Mazie taking music lessons and had her teach us all the songs in our song book. We would gather around the organ in the evenings and sing while Mother knit stockings and Father sat by the fire. Many parties were held in our home and dances, too, with cousin Stephen Wilson playing the violin while Tennie or Mazie accompanied on the organ. Mother was a lovely singer herself. I thought I never heard such sweet music as when she sang while preparing breakfast in the mornings. Here in this home in Colonia Diaz, Chihuahua, Mexico, Mother's last daughter was born, her ninth. Ruth Bloomfield was born the third of December 1889. Harriet, Rose, and Galdys were born in Arizona. Edith had died in Tempe in 1882 at the age of sixteen. “Too pure and good for this life,” they said. Mother had nine girls and two boys. Three days after sister Ruth was born, Grandfather Johnson came to Mexico to our home. He had many wives and must escape the officers of the U. S. Government. He and many others who came to Mexico for this purpose stayed at our home and were made welcome. Also, some of the Apostles who came to visit the Colonies stayed for a time in our home. Mother gave them her bedroom with its lovely carpet and warm fireplace. Among them were George Teasdale, John Henry Smith, and Brigham Young Jr. I remember how he did enjoy our good fresh buttermilk, churned every morning. While living in this home, sister Pearl was married (sealed) to George M. Brown by Apostle Teasdale, brother David to Olive Merrill, and my sister Mary Ellen (Mazie) to Orson LeRoy Cluff, and sister Sarah Centenna to Earnest Turley. And last but not least with the consent of our dear mother, Father was sealed to a sweet young woman, Mirian Adelia Cox. Mother taught us to honor this high principle of marriage with the right to practice polygamy only when sanctioned by the Church Authorities. Now thankful we are for our noble parents who taught us the Gospel and suffered so much for us; for Aunt Delia and her fine family! Mother taught us some poems for the occasion of Aunt Delia's wedding reception after her marriage to our father. Here is Harriet's part: “Dare to do right; dare to be true; There is a work that no other can do. Do it so bravely, so nobly and well, Angels will hasten the story to tell.” Brother Bennie's poem: Guard your actions and bridle your tongue; Words are adders when hearts are stung. Let never a day die in the west That you have not comforted some sad breast. Sister Rose recited this poem: How fair is the rose, that beautiful flower, The glory of April and May, Whose leaves begin to fade in an hour They wither and die in a day. Gladys sang the song, “Smiling Little River.” Esther gave a reading, “The Tramp.” While living in Diaz, Father took seriously sick with mastoid and came near death's door. He became so thin he looked like skin and bones. They decided to move to Sonora, Mexico where the climate was mild and unlike the cold winds that blew in Diaz. They settled in the small Mormon Colony of Oaxaca, where Aunt Delia took good care of Father, she being naturally a good nurse. We fasted and prayed for Father's recovery and from that time on he commenced to improve and was soon able to establish a home. Father set up a grist mill, grinding whole wheat flour for the people, besides taking care of his bees.here in Oaxaca, Father started raising another family by his second wife, Aunt Delia. Mother came to Oaxaca with the remainder of her family after settling affairs in Diaz. Brother Ben was the main stay in helping Mother and Father in moving, and in running the mill. There were five of us unmarried girls and Ben there in Oaxaca with Mother where we built another home. My sister Pearl came to Oaxaca with Father and Aunt Delia as her husband had died leaving her with a small daughter, Pearl Melissa. Brother Haymore came courting her later, he also being left with a small family. They were married soon after our arrival. Most of us girls went to Juarez to school and attended the Juarez Academy, also brother Ben. When the floods came to Oaxaca, the whole town had to move. Most of the people went to Colonia Morelos, ten miles west. Mother built another brick home in Morelos. As there was not enough lumber for floors, she made enough hooked rugs to cover the floors. At the time of the Exodus, Mother's daughters had all married and were rearing families of their own. Sister Pearl had died; also my brother David. Mary Ellen's husband had also died leaving her with one son, LeRoy Cluff. She then married Franklin D. Haymore, helping him to raise his many children, as well as her own. Mother and Father and Aunt Delia and her family, myself and two children all left Morelos before the rest of the colonists were driven out. Mother came to Mesa first, then spent her days and years living with or near her daughters. Brother Ben went with Father and Aunt Delia and her family to Utah. Here he met a cousin of Aunt Delia, Susan Cox. They were married sometime later. Mother went to Utah later with Father and Aunt and had their second annointings done. Then she returned to Mesa. She died in Mesa, Arizona on the ninth of September 1918 at the age of 72.

George Deliverance Wilson

Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

A SHORT SKETCH OF THE LIFE OF GEORGE DELIVERANCE WILSON By Mary Wilson Shumway *George Deliverance is great grandfather of the thirteen children of Jesse S. and Lilith P. Wilson George Deliverance Wilson, son of Deliverance and Lovina Fairchild Wilson, was born 28 December 1807 in Shelbourn, Chittenden County, Vermont. His father was a well-to-do farmer and the children had fairly good chance for education. George attended school in the winter and had access to many good books which he loved to read and study, especially those dealing with religion and the views and beliefs of the different churches. He was very anxious to find the right church as he had a firm belief in God and a desire to serve Him. After investigating for some time he joined the Methodist Church and tried to preach their doctrine, but was not satisfied with their doctrine and belief. He continued to search for the truth and found many ministers who were diligent men and of “the higher order of intelligence,” but no one could teach him what he wished. Not finding what he was looking for in religion, he started out to teach school as that was what three of his brothers and sisters were doing. Then he studied medicine thinking to become a doctor, but was stricken with consumption, the dread disease which took many of his friends and some members of his own family. The malady got such a hold on him that the doctors told him there was no cure for it and he could not live but a short time. He was still interested in religion and very anxious to find the true church and learn about the God he trusted and had faith in. As his condition became worse he left home to find help in some other place. It was while traveling for his health that he heard about Joseph Smith, who had received a marvelous vision and wonderful manifestations from the Lord. This gave him new hope and he lost no time in going to Kirtland, Ohio, to find the Prophet who he felt sure could help him. When George found the Prophet, repeating his own story, “he was so weak and his body so wasted away by disease that his clothes just wrapped around him.” He asked the righteous prophet, whom he believed could help him, what to do. The answer he received must not have been just what he expected but he was willing to try. The Prophet gave him a Book of Mormon and told him to take it and read it, and if he was not satisfied to read it again. George took the book and says he neither ate nor slept until he had finished reading the wonderful book. He was satisfied, his courage was renewed, and his faith was strengthened. He received a testimony that it was true. He went back and applied for baptism, full of faith in the promises and teachings of the book. He was baptized in February 1835 by Oliver Cowdery, and though his great faith and the wonderful blessings of the Lord, his health was restored and he was made perfectly well and never again was troubled with that dreadful disease. George returned home and told his family of his wonderful experience, and his parents and some of his brothers and sisters received his message. When he told them he had become a member of the true Church of God and had received such a wonderful manifestation of God’s love and power, the family received him with joyful hearts. They sold the home and farm and moved to Kirtland where they were baptized in the spring of 1836. George spent the winter of 1837-38 with the other men making wagons for the saints to travel in. He was an expert in this line as many have testified who traveled in wagons which he had made. The Wilson family was in Kirtland at the time of the dedication of the Temple, where they witnessed many manifes¬tations and learned more of the Gospel and of the power of God. This family went to Nauvoo and helped settle and build the city there. It was there that George married Mary Mariah (or Ellen) Johnson, daughter of Ezekiel and Julia Hills Johnson, about 1841-2, and they were the parents of two sons—David Johnson Wilson, born 1 June 1843 in Nauvoo, Illinois. He married Julia Johnson, daughter of Benjamin (who was a brother of Joel H.) and Mariam Adelia Cox. He died 19 September 1912 at Hillsdale, Garfield Co., Utah. The second child was George Jacob Wilson, born 1844 and died at six months of age. The mother, Mary Ellen, died 11 June 1845 in Nauvoo. Besides the death of his wife and infant son, George lost his mother and sister while living in Nauvoo. This left him with a small son (David) whom he left with the grandmother, Julia Hills Johnson. She cared for him until her death in 1853 at Council Bluffs, Iowa. While living in Kirtland and later in Nauvoo, George was very closely associated with the Prophet Joseph Smith. He was one of the body guards when the enemies were offering $1,000 to anyone who would deliver the Prophet into their hands. But to men like George this was no temptation. He dearly loved the prophet and would have gladly given his life to protect Joseph from harm. After the Prophet’s cruel martyrdom, George remained in Nauvoo with the saints, still staunch and true to the Church. He helped finish the Temple and was one of the privileged few who received their endowments in that holy house. After the saints were driven out of Nauvoo he stayed with them and enlisted in the Mormon Battalion, and the story of his experience during that year he was in the service is one of intense privation and suffering. Owing to his physical condition he was unable to continue the march to the coast. He was in Captain W. W. Willis’ detachment of the sick that were sent to Pueblo for the winter, but owing to the severe cold weather and weakened condition of the men, they did not reach Pueblo until January 15, 1847. According to his small diary, which he left for us, the hardest part of the journey was from the 1st of December till the lst of April. It was intensely cold and such a scarcity of food that they almost starved to death. When they arrived in Salt Lake Valley, soon after Brigham Young and the first group of Pioneers, George was in a very critical condition, but he soon began to work with the others helping build shelters and comfortable quarters for the winter. He had one brother left who was still in the east and one sister, Hannah, who still lived in Vermont. The little son David J. was with his grandmother in Nauvoo. So he prepared to return to the states to get his son. George left for the East in company with two other men. They had one horse and a small amount of flour tied up in a shirt sleeve. This with their guns and ammunition was their only provisions. When he arrived at his destination he went to a mechanic’s shop and asked for a job. He was, of course, turned down by the prosperous company head because of his poor appearance, but he refused to give up and persisted in his request for employment until one of the men gave him a stick and told him to make an axe-handle. George took his knife from his pocket and almost while the men stood and watched he made the handle with such skill and perfection that he was given a job. It was not long until he had saved enough money to buy a home and establish himself in a business of his own. His boy was near him and he could settle down in comfort and in peace. But this was not his plan, for just as money could not tempt him to betray the Prophet; it could not tempt him to give up the Church and the association with the saints, although he well knew he would still have to suffer hardships and privation. The aged grandmother was so unwilling to part with his boy, so he decided to return alone. He bought a nice “white top carriage,” a span of good young horses and everything he would need for the journey, got in touch with a cousin who had a family of boys so he brought them with him and returned to Salt Lake Valley to begin life as a pioneer. One of the first settlements he helped to build was Santaquin. It was here he met and married Martha Ann Riste, an English convert who had just arrived from England. The first two children of George and Martha Ann Wilson were born in Santaquin. Then they were called by the authorities to assist in founding other settlements. George, being a millwright, would move into a settlement, get it going, and then move to another. Some of these were Mt. Pleasant, Monroe, and Scipio. From here he was called to the Muddy Valley, with the group who went to settle there. This mission left him very destitute. He left there with a family of eight children and all their worldly goods in one wagon. From here he went to Bellevue (Washington Co., Utah) where his brother-in-law, Joel H. Johnson, lived. They stayed here a while. Then the two men decided to go together to make a settlement on the Sevier River, south of Panguitch. They called it Hillsdale. Here George spent his last days caring for the large family and true to the Gospel. George Deliverance Wilson died 18 October 1887 at Hillsdale, Garfield Co., Utah.


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

LIFE OF PEARL MELISSA WILSON BROWN HAYMORE Pearl Melissa was born in Springlake, Utah in 1871, the third child of David Johnson Wilson and Julia Didimia Johnson. There were seven children in the family, Edith, David, Pearl Melissa and Mary Ellen (Mazie) were born in Springlake, Utah. Centenna, Esther and Bennie were born in Hillsdale, Utah. When Pearl Melissa was just an infant her mother sang a song about a Pearl and when her father heard the song he suggested they name the new baby Pearl. Pearl Melissa had a very sweet disposition, with a knack for keeping an orderly, clean house. She was very small in stature and had black eyes, rosy cheeks and brown hair. When Pearl Melissa was about seventeen years old, she and Mary Ellen (Mazie) drove a wagon to Mexico. This was in 1888. The Wilson family moved to Mexico at the same time. David Wilson had three wagons, eight mares and mules and a few colts. David Jr. drove one team and his father the other. They all stayed with Bishop Johnson for a few days until they bought a lot and cleared it for a tent and a garden spot. A big adobe home with spacious living room was built, and a Hammond organ was sent for. Mary Ellen (Mazie) was the one that was given music lessons and she taught all of the family all of the songs in the hymn book. The family would gather around the organ in the evenings and sing while their mother knit stockings and their father sat by the fire. Many parties were held in the Wilson home. Dances were popular with this young set. They danced in the living room while a cousin, Stephen Wilson, played the violin and Mary Ellen (Mazie) played the organ. While living in the new home, Pearl Melissa met and married George Mortimer Brown. Pearl Melissa and George had a little girl named Pearl Melissa after her mother. Soon after, George Mortimer Brown died. The Wilson family had already moved to Colonia Oaxaca where the Haymore family lived. David had been given a second wife, Marian Adelia Cox, and they were living in the first home in Mexico that was built by David. After George Mortimer Brown died, David Wilson and Aunt Delia brought Pearl Melissa to Colonia Oaxaca with her little girl. Prior to her marriage to George Brown, she had met Franklin Demarcus Haymore while he was a visitor in their home and had washed, mended and ironed a shirt for him. It was not long until Franklin D. Haymore started to court her and they were soon married by Bishop Scott. Franklin D. and Pearl Melissa had a daughter, Emma Julia, on July 18, 1899 in Colonia Oaxaca. Pearl Melissa Brown was happy to have a new sister. Shortly after wards a trip was made to Utah to get Franklin Demarcus Haymore's children, David F., Mildred and Lester, as their mother, Elizabeth Ann Lant, had died. At this time Pearl Melissa and Franklin D were sealed in the temple. Pearl was an excellent mother to all of the children. She showed them love and always treated each one as if he or she was her very own. On the 6th of October 1901, another daughter, Centenna was born. She proved to be a bundle of joy from the very beginning, with a very sweet disposition. Another little girl was born but passed away. When Pearl Melissa's mother, Julia, came to be with her and take care of all the children, Pearl Melissa requested that she treat all of the children as if they were her very own grandchildren, as she felt they were he jewels and did not want a difference shown to them. Later, two other children, Lucy Ann and Rose were born, each passing away as infants. Pearl was a wonderful wife, homemaker, and mother to all. She taught the children gospel principles, and helped them to pay their tithing. When she gave birth to her sixth child in November 1907 in Colonia Oaxaca, she and the infant passed away and they were buried together with the infant in her arms. Pearl was truly a noble woman that exemplified the teachings of love as shown not only to her own daughters but to all of the Haymore children. Each one dearly loved her and missed her greatly when she was called to return to her Father in Heaven.


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

BIOGRAPHY OF JULIA EDITH WILSON (taken from Wilson Family History book) Julia Edith Wilson, the first of David Johnson and Julia Didamia Johnson Wilson's eleven children, was born in Spring Lake, Utah, April 25, 1868, in the home of her grandfather Benjamin Franklin Johnson. Her grandfather had six wives and 40 children who were living in the Villa so Edith had plenty of cousins and even aunties her age to play with. Her aunts who were near Julia's age were Cassandra (Aunt “Cassy” Johnson who married Kimball Pomeroy, Winifred (Aunt “Winnie” Johnson who married Vaughn Guthrie) and Aunt Geneva. When Julia was eight years of age she was baptized in the Spring Lake. Julia had a naturally sweet and loving personality. She was trained in her early years how to bottle, can and dry peaches, apricots, plums and berries and how to make preserves and pickles. She loved the wonderful watermelons, musk melons, apricots, peaches, plums and the garden vegetables they raised in abundance. Julia Edith was a very industrious little lady always helpful and eager to do all kinds of work and especially helpful to her mother with the younger children. When she was eleven she moved with her family to Hillsdale, Utah, where she met and came to love her grandfather, George Deliverance Wilson and her Aunt Martha Ann Riste and a host of new Wilson cousins. When Julia Edith was 14 years of age her father and mother decided to move to Tempe, Arizona, where the Benjamin Franklin Johnson family of Spring Lake, Utah, had moved. They arrived in Tempe sometime in 1882. They pitched their tents on the banks of the Salt River near the Hayden flour mill and ferry where the first railroad bridge was later to span the river bed. By summer their source of water was contaminated and Julia came down with typhoid fever. She was very sick for weeks and her mother thought that she was getting well. On the 4th of July she asked her mother if she might put on her new dress. Julia responded, “Yes, if you feel like it.” As she went to put the dress over her head she said: “I feel too tired”. Those were her last words. She died July 4, 1883. Julia was now 15, a beautiful girl with a kind disposition and who was very industrious worker. Her mother depended upon her to help with all the family duties. She was especially helpful in teaching, training and looking after the other children. All the Johnson family were saddened by this great loss. She was buried on the banks of the Salt River, now an unknown grave.


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

BIOGRAPHY OF DAVID JOHNSON WILSON Jr. (taken from the Wilson Family History Book) David Johnson Wilson, Jr. was born on October 12, 1869 at Spring Lake, Utah County, Utah. He had an abundance of attention as a baby and lots of fun as a child playing with his cousins in Grandfather Benjamin Franklin Johnson's adobe Villa. He was about six years old when his father and mother moved to Hillsdale, Garfield County, Utah, in about 1875. He was baptized in 1877 at the age of 8. David now had an older sister and three younger sisters to play with and when another sister arrived on September 16, 1878, whom they named Esther Delcina, it was just to much, so David ran and hid and refused to even look at his new little sister. Soon he overcame his disappointment and learned to really love his baby sister. When he was 11, there finally arrived the little brother he had prayed for and they named him George Benjamin, born August 27, 1880. David Johnson, Jr. was 13 years old then they moved to Mesa, Arizona, and could help handle the teams, herd the livestock and bring in the firewood to cook the evening and morning meals. When the family moved to Colonia Diaz, Mexico, in 1888, David was 19 years old and capable od doing a man's work and soon became the beekeeper taking care of the 300 hives of bees his father had acquired. When his father and others needed a good man to haul freight by wagon David, Jr. was the man to do the job. When David, Jr. was 25 he courted and married Olive Merrill, September 19, 1894. His sister Esther Delcina described her as “a very bright lovely girl.” They were not blessed with any offspring and it was hard for him to accept that fact. David, Jr. was a hard working man. He operated the flour mill for his father in addition to freighting and helping with the bees. According to his brother, George Benjamin, “there was no invading enemy that was ever to big for David. He'd fight for the right and stand the scars without a whimper.” David Johnson, Jr. took sick and died December 25, 1901, in Colonia Morelos, Sonora, Mexico, at the age of 32. David had a good life and held the priesthood and all were saddened at his sudden death.


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

BIOGRAPHY OF JUNE ROSE WILSON Written by Malin Wilson Lewis from the Wilson Family History Book On June 11, 1885, just as the Arizona sun was sending the temperature up into the 100 degrees for the summer there arrived in the David John Wilson and Julia Didamia Johnson Wilson home in Tempe, Maricopa County, Arizona, a beautiful baby appropriately named June Rose. June for the month of her birth and Rose because of her complexion and beauty. An abundance of dark hair made her rosy cheeks seem all the more beautiful and the name more appropriate. Her older brothers and sisters smothered her with hugs and kisses and especially lots of attention from little Martha Harriet, age two, who tried to hold her at every chance. The Wilson family was affectionate and life held increased meaning after the loss of Julia Edith just two years before. Rose, as she came to be called, went to Mexico with her family when she was 26 months old. By this time she was a big sister to her baby sister, Gladys Lovina, who was born in Mesa the year the family moved to Mexico and to Ruth Bloomfield, who was born a year and four months after their arrival in Mexico. Rose didn't get to be the baby long enough to become spoiled as the new arrivals, Gladys and Ruth, received most of the attention. Rose grew up in Colonia Diaz, Chihuahua, Mexico attended school there and at the Colonia Juarez Academy. Her Father with his second wife, Adelia Cox Wilson, had moved to Colonia Oaxaca in the Spring of 1897 leaving her and her mother in Colonia Diaz to operate and sell the orchard. In the Fall of 1902, Rose, now 17, moved with her mother to Colonia Oaxaca. Each school year Rose would go over to Juarez and stay with her older sister Mary Ellen (Mazie) Wilson Cluff and attend the Juarez Academy where she obtained her teaching certificate. In the Fall of 1907 rose was hired to teach school in Colonia Oaxaca. Her sister, Esther Delcina, had previously taught here. The Church (ward) paid half of her salary and the parents with children in school paid half. Pearl, who was Rose's niece (daughter of sister, Pearl Melissa), was in June Rose's class room. She later wrote, “How I loved school, Aunt Rose could draw so well and drew autumn leaves, ******, pumpkins, holly and lots of things and colored them with colored chalk. She taught us lots of songs for programs and we put on a cantata called “The Dance of the Wood Nymphs.” Apparently June Rose lived with her sister, Pearl Melissa Haymore, when she was expecting because Rose helped in the home in addition to teaching school. Young Pearl Melissa wrote as follows: “By November I was having to help in the house as my mother was expecting a new baby and could not do much work...Aunt June could not do all of the work. My mother took real sick...I remember well when Aunt June came... and said, 'Pearl, your mother is dead'.” June Rose, who was later to become a nurse, had her share of early experiences with the illness and death of her older brother David Johnson, Jr. and also when her older sister Pearl Melissa, died at child birth. June Rose left Mexico for Mesa, Arizona, with her parents in 1911. The author has been unable to find any record of what she did after her arrival in Mesa. Later, she was hired as a nurse in Miami, Arizona, at the Miami Inspiration Hospital. Where she obtained her training has not been verified. Letters show that she was in El Paso for a time and the author believes it was there she took her training and became a registered nurse. During the great flu epidemic that took millions of lives in the United States and Europe following World War I, June Rose took sick and died January 17, 1919, and was buried in the Mesa City Cemetery.

JULIA DIDAMIA JOHNSON WILSON (as told by son - George Benjamin Wilson)

Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

JULIA DIDAMIA JOHNSON WILSON (a letter written by her son, George Benjamin Wilson, to Franklin Reynard and Lela Haymore) Hurricane, Utah February 4, 1960 Dear Franklin, Lela Adona and your fine children: First I want to thank you for the nice visit. I did so much enjoy it. As for me, time is running out and as such visits are highlights in life. You asked me about Grandmother and I thought you meant my grandmother. I think now you meant my mother or your grand-mother. Her name is Julia Didamia Johnson (B. F. Johnson's daughter). Mother's Mother died when Mother was near in her teens. My uncle told me that mother was outstanding as a fine young woman and as a mother there was none better, and as for Father and Mother they went all out to give us children a good education. When it seemed we lacked music & song in our family, they bought a Hammond organ and payed for some lessons for your Mother, Mary Ellen (Mazie). She in turn gave us all singing lessons around the organ. Here is a song I learned when I was eight (Smiling Little River): Smiling little river From my window seen Gliding on so gently Thru the meadow green Cheering and refreshing All upon its way Brightest at the closing Of its earthly day May our lives be like thee, Gentle little stream Sending all around us Love's celestial beam Cheering and refreshing All round our way Brightest at the closing Of our earthly day. Mazie, as we called your mother, her quest for music and learning never stopped even after sadness came in her life of loosing her Husband, LeRoy Cluff, and Ivan her baby. Too poor to get an organ she bought a guitar and still sang sad songs as (My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean & Lurlean Dear Lurlean). Here again she gave me my first lessons on the guitar. Did she think that song and guitar would stick to me until now? I'll be 80 in August & my last song nearly learned is (Seated one day at the organ) or (The Lost Chord) is the title. I think I can sing and play about 100 songs and dance tones and it takes about two hours per day. Now back to your grandmother, Julia, my dear Mother. She loved all that was virtuous, lovely, praiseworthy; she learned to paint beautiful flowers, play the harmonica. After she was 50 she loved her cow, her chickens, especially the biddies. My father called her, Jewelry instead of Julia, because she loved her gold earrings and finger rings and gold watch. She said she liked girls better than boys because boys got into too much mischief. She had 9 girls, all first class. Mother loved the gospel and attended her meetings to the letter. When we lived in Morelos, Mexico, we lived out of town. I got her a two wheeled cart and a little brown mare, Bess, the gentlest most trustworthy mare, which she loved and would drive to town to all meetings, never missing Relief Society. (She) even hitched up the horse herself. She got me to accompany her as she sang, Long Lives the Merry, Merry Heart in Relief Society meeting. Mother loved the bible and during long lonely nights she would read by the coal oil lamps and would tell the bible stories to young folks. She read Shakespeare and especially liked Ben Hur. The last few years of mother's life was very sad and lonely. After she had born 11 children and raised them to maturity being driven from Mexico, a very bad depression we left all we had in Mexico. My wages was $60.00 per month and (had) a young family. I sent her a little each month, but not enough. How I would like to share with her now. Our family (Mother & Father) moved many times and with the burden she (Mother) bore seemed to get the better of her, and she complained and criticized my father at times. It all resulted in unhappiness and loneliness. It's a sad thing also that we find such a few people who are perfect. Yet we all will be called up in judgment day. Now Franklin can you make this out? Should I sent it? Thanks again for the visit Lela Adona come again and bring your mother (sister?) and Emma and Pearl. I so seldom see you. Love and joy for the New Year. From us all, Ben


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

MARY ELLEN JOHNSON WILSON Mary Ellen Johnson was born at Pomfret, New York on 7 February, 1820. She was the eleventh child of Ezekiel and Julia Hills Johnson. By this time a great sorrow had come to these worthy people. Due to the extremely hard manual labor which Ezekiel, the father, had experienced, his constitution was breaking. Most every frontier farmer brewed his own beer and due to lack of facilities for transportation, made his excess grain into hard liquor. Seeking strength for his labors Ezekiel had resorted to the uplift he received from liquor. He was gradually becoming an alcoholic. This condition brought embarrassment to the family. A man never lived who was more tender and loving of his children, but he was unable to overcome his weakness. Julia's responsibilities greatly increased and so did her family. On 28 May, 1822, a child whom they named Elmer Wood was born., but he passed away 14 September, that same year. Out of their twelve children this was the first one taken from them. 19 February 1823 brought George Washington Johnson to their home and then William Derby arrived 27 October, 1824. About this time the older sister, Nancy, who had seemed like a second mother to these children, fell from a horse, broke her hip and was left an invalid. On 2 November, 1826 the family witnessed the first wedding when Joel took Anne Pixley for his bride and they moved to Ohio. When Mary Ellen was eight years old a little sister, Esther Melita, arrived on 12 January, 1828. Then on 15 January, 1829 a son who received the name of Amos Partridge was born. The following day, 16 January, 1829, the sister Delcene was married to Lyman Royal Sherman. Thus sixteen souls received permission to dwell on this earth through these two humble people, Ezekiel and Julia. It was during this year (1829) that the first baptisms into a newly founded church occurred at Seneca Lake, New York, and the newspapers of the day burst forth with announcements and ridicule. A letter from Julia to her children in Amherst, Ohio, warned them of the event. Great was the excitement in the Johnson home at Pomfret when a copy of the Book of Mormon arrived by mail accompanied by a letter announcing the baptism of Joel. Secretly the family read the censored literature. Mary Ellen was now about twelve years of age and was deeply impressed by what was transpiring in the home. When Joel and his bride left for Ohio they took David (age 15) with them. They were all baptized 1 June 1831 by Sylvester Smith. In 1832 the mother, Julia, and Lyman R Sherman were baptized by Elder Joseph Bracken bury and shortly afterward all the older members of the family entered the waters of baptism. Ezekiel, the father, had nothing to say about his wife and older children receiving this ordinance, but he objected to the younger ones being baptized. The news of what had happened at the Johnson home spread rapidly and neighbors hastened to try to induce the family to repent of their mistake. They wanted to know why Nancy had not been made well if these priests had so much power, but that was for a later time. The following summer Ezekiel once more could not resist the urge to seek a new horizon. He consequently sold the beautiful homestead in Pomfret and set out for Chicago. He left the dock on the Lake with the understanding that his wife would bring the younger children when she received word from him. Now Chicago at this time was a very immature settlement. It, also, had suffered great Indian massacres and was on the verge of abandoning Fort Dearborn when Ezekiel arrived. For some reason unknown his letter did not arrive in Pomfret. The purchaser of their home was urging Julia to clear out so that he might occupy the house. She therefore took her remaining family, which included Mary Ellen (now about 14 years old) and journeyed to Kirtland Ohio in June 1833. Ezekiel had purchased land near Chicago and returned to find his family in Kirtland. When it was determined that Julia would not go with him to his new frontier home, he decided to remain with them in Kirtland. He did not join the church but put no obstacle in the way of their activities; however, strife over his affliction and lack of cooperation made it impossible for Ezekiel and Julia to live together. He made his home with one of his daughters. He was now sixty-one years old. Mary Ellen was saddened by this event. She was of a loving disposition and loved her father deeply. She proceeded, however, to assist her mother with the Temple assignments the family were given toward the construction of this building and also with the family project of making “socks” and straw hats in order to gain a livelihood. Young David (age 23) assumed much responsibility in the church projects as well as helping his mother. He became ill and passed away 30 October, 1833 of consumption (now called tuberculosis). Tenderly they buried him in the town plot and Mary Ellen mourned his passing. He had been a gracious older brother to her. Shortly after David's death Mary Ellen witnessed a miraculous event. Some of the members of the Johnson family were not in good health, partly due to the climatic conditions and partly due to their poverty. Elder Jared Carter came to their home one day to administer a blessing to them for their comfort. Upon learning of the cause of Nancy's condition, she was promised relief from her suffering and to be made whole. This healing took place before the eyes of the family immediately. You may imagine what an impression it made on Mary Ellen. The remainder of her life she had implicit faith in the laying on of hands. During the year 1833 the Saints in Missouri were persecuted and driven from their homes. The Lord made known to the Prophet Joseph Smith that he was to call all middle aged and young men of the church to go to Missouri to assist in restoring order. They were known as Zion's Camp. The first contingent left Kirtland on 1 May 1834. They were met by other groups and proceeded on their journey. Mary Ellen's brother, Seth Gurnsey (now 29 years of age) was called to this Mission, as well as her brother-in-law, Lyman R. Sherman and her future brother-in-law, Almon W. Babbett. Due to sickness and privations endured on this journey, Seth returned home in a weakened condition. Mary Ellen spent many hours by his side to give him comfort. He related many marvelous experiences which he had gone through. He gave her all the details as to how the enemy were dispersed and the Lord gave protecting care to the Camp. She was truly sad when he passed away 19 February 1835. Then just one year later, 16 March, 1836, the family laid Susan Ellen away. She was twenty-two years old and a beautiful young woman. She was the first of the children born at Pomfret and had been a companion to Mary Ellen in school and the home work. Once again Mary Ellen witnessed the power of administration when the baby, Amos, was healed. Mary Ellen's oldest sister Nancy had ever been like a second mother to the family. She worked side by side with her mother Julia, in the management of the home and care of the younger members of the family. She was very studious and at an early age commenced teaching school. She taught most of her younger brothers and sisters. It was with awe that they saw her sicken with consumption. Mary Ellen felt that she had truly lost a mother when Nancy passed away on 30 October 1836. This brought to four the number laid away in the Kirtland burial lot. No longer did the home ring with song and laughter. The family financial condition was now at a low point, as well as sorrow for the loss of their loved ones. No longer able to support her family in Kirtland, Julia moved to a small farm on Kirtland Flat. But shortly after the completion of the Temple and its dedication 27 March 1836, many of those in authority apostatized. Corruption and false accusations prevailed, even robbery and the faith of the Saints was tested to the limit. Now commenced the Exodus to Missouri, but Julia and her family were detained. They had no means of going. It was then that the Prophet Joseph Smith called on the Seventies Quorum to assist the lame, sick and destitute on the Westward journey. Mary accompanied the family and assisted in any way that she could. This group of Saints were known as the Kirtland Camp. They left Kirtland on 4 July with Mary Ellen's oldest brother, Joel, in charge of part of the group. So large a company, poor in appearance, and known to be Mormons caused them to be persecuted. Arriving at Dayton, Ohio they stopped to do work to gain funds to continue the journey, but soon sickness overtook many in the Camp. Many of the Johnson children were ill. Mary Ellen's brother, Benjamin, having some knowledge of medicine, gave what assistance he could. About 1st October they arrived at Springfield, Illinois. Brother Samuel Hale died. It was now decided that Mary Ellen's mother and her family and brothers Joel and Joseph and their families should remain here until better arrangements could be made for them to go on. Here Samuel Hale's wife died, leaving Mary Ann Hale, a child of ten, to be cared for by Mother Johnson. Although Mary Ellen was now eighteen years old she found pleasure in giving comfort to the Hale child. Mary Ann Hale was the same age as Esther Johnson and the two young girls depended much on Mary Ellen for companionship. Julia H. Johnson and the younger members of her family were saved the experience of being driven from Far West, but when son Benjamin arrived in Nauvoo in August he found nearly every one sick. Typhoid fever and malaria was prevalent. While assisting with the care of the sick he witnessed the healing of many persons by the Prophet Joseph Smith. By neglect of himself, Benjamin fell ill and was being cared for at the home of the Prophet when he received word that his mother and sister, Mary Ellen, were very ill in Springfield, Illinois. As soon as he was able he returned to Springfield where he recited to Mary Ellen all of the faith-promoting incidents which had befallen him since he last saw them. They then bid him goodbye as he left for a mission to Canada and the Eastern States. It was shortly after this event that Mary Ellen accompanied her mother and family moved to Ramus (later called Macedonia and now known as Webster, Illinois). Here all of the Johnson family settled, some 20 miles east of Nauvoo. Following Benjamin's mission he returned to Kirtland where he was married to Melissa LeBaron on Christmas Day, 1841, by his brother-in-law, Almon W Babbitt. He and his wife then left for Nauvoo. In his Life's Review he states (p.90) “We arrived at Ramus (afterwards Macedonia) 20 miles east of Nauvoo, the 1st of July (1842) where lived my mother and her younger children, my brother Joel H. and family and brother Joseph E., who had married in my absence; my younger sister Mary E. who had married George Wilson.” Mary Ellen and George D. Wilson posted their intentions of marriage on 2 February 1842. They were married 7 February 1842. (This date found by Stella W. Pettit in the Carthage, Ill. Records.) Mary and her sister, Delcena, were baptized 19 March 1832. Mary Ellen sorrowed with the family at the death in Ramos of her youngest brother, Amos, who was the baby of the family on 9 May 1948. in his fourteenth year. The Prophet Joseph Smith visited often at Ramus. He generally remained over-night with one of the Johnson family. Many of the principles of the gospel were discussed at their fireside and table. On one occasion he came for the fitting of a suit of clothes which Mother Julia had made for him. She was an expert seamstress. Mary Ellen assisted with this work. On one occasion he learned that Mary Ellen was gravely ill so paid a visit to her home. It was thought that she might not survive, but he placed his hands on her head and promised that she would live to bear a son. On 7 June 1843, she gave birth to a baby boy whom she named David Johnson Wilson in remembrance of her beloved brother David who had died in Kirtland. Then came the news of the death of the Prophet and his brother Hyrum. Mary Ellen's brother, Benjamin, was now called to rent and keep open the Nauvoo Mansion. He sold all of his property including a lovely brick home in Ramus for the paltry sum of $250. Public traffic was cut off and all business profits with it. He started a wagon-making industry in the basement of the brick stable at the Mansion House. Mary Ellen's husband, George, Wilson, assisted with this work. While they were about this business the mob came to search of the bodies of the Prophet and Hyrum. The Johnson families were now all living in Nauvoo proper with Mary Ellen's father living with David and Esther Johnson LeBaron. Then on 11 June, 1845, Mary Ellen passed away. She had given birth to her second child who received the name of George Jacob Wilson. Mother Julia took the two little ones into her care, but the baby died six months later (December 1845). Mary Ellen was dead, it is true, but she lived on in the soul of her son, David. Her husband, George D. Wilson and her brother Benjamin, left Nauvoo with the Saints of the first group. At Council Bluffs, George D Wilson volunteered for service in the Mormon Battalion, but due to illness he returned to Pueblo with the W. W. Willie detachment where they spent the winter of 1846-47. They arrived in the Salt Lake Valley a few days after the first company of Saints. When Benjamin Johnson left Nauvoo, the care of the Mansion House and Temple was placed in the hands of George W. Johnson and David LeBaron (Julia's son and son-in-law). She with the young David J. Wilson, made their home with these people until after the burning of the Temple (9 October, 1848, Church Chron.) Shortly after this event, some-time in 1849, these good people made their was to Council Bluffs, where Joseph Ellis Johnson and Almon W. Babbitt edited the newspaper “The Bugle” and a store. George Johnson, left for Utah in 1851, but the David LeBaron's remained in Council Bluffs. Julia and David remained with them. After the arrived of George D. Wilson in the Valley he made preparations to return to the East for his son, David, but Mother Julia had become so attached to the boy that he returned without him. Then on 30 May, 1856 Julia Hills Johnson passed away at Council Bluffs, Pottawattami County, Iowa, and young David came West to be with the LeBarons and Babbitts. Following the martyrdom of the Prophet, Ezekiel Johnson laid aside his liftime weakness of drink and became a dedicated one-man protector of the Saints in Nauvoo. On several occasions, he and his old gun thwarted the mob while certain of the Saints escaped from their wicked intents. He soon became a marked man and was eventually caught, tied to a wagon wheel and whipped into a state of unconsciousness. He was now nearing the age of seventy-five years. On 13 January, 1848 he passed away and was buried in Nauvoo in the old Mormon cemetery. In July of 1830 the Prophet's wife, Emma, was given the responsibility of collecting Hymns which would be appropriate for the use of the Latter-day Saints. She chose one which Julia Hills Johnson had composed; however, there seems to be no record as to when she wrote it. The first edition of the Hymns published in July of 1840 in England contains Julia's contribution; consequently, we know that it was written before that time. It was called “The Joy and the Song”: and goes as follows: We praise thee, O God, for the joy and the song Which unto us this beautiful season belong; We love and adore Thee, for light and for love, And for all the rich blessings that come from above. The gates are wide open, they beckon us all, Each to follow and serve at the sound of Thy call; Through portals of praise and through Zion's fair gates, We will pass on with songs to the work that awaits. At last in that city, with its glories untold, With its gates all of pearl and its streets of pure gold, We'll give to the Savior, who dwelleth in light, All the power and dominion and wisdom and light. CHORUS; Hallelujah! Hallelujah! O, the joy and the song! With happy hearts and merry voices we the glad strains prolong. Mary Ellen's son and husband were reunited here in Utah and David spent some of his time with him (George D.) and his two aunt homes (LeBaron and Babbitt) were his also for periods of time. Mary Ellen's brother, Benjamin, had this to say of her in his Life's Review: “She died full of the assurance of the reward for the pure in heart of woman-kind. None could approach nearer to angelic character in childhood, girlhood, or womanhood nor was there ever known from her associates one unkind work or feeling by all who knew her.”


Contributor: hydrobrain Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

MARY ELLEN (MAZIE) WILSON CLUFF HAYMORE born: 29 January 1874, Springlake, Utah County, Utah died: 7 June 1931, Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona Parents: David Johnson Wilson Julia Didamia Johnson Family consisted of two sons and 8 daughters, Pearl Melissa being one of the daughters. They were raised in Colonia Diaz, Chihuahua, Mexico. Mazie married Orsen LeRoy Cluff. They had two sons, LeRoy and Ivan. Her husband and Ivan passed away leaving her a young and beautiful widow. The Relief Society was encouraging young women to go to Salt Lake City, Utah and enter nurses training under the direction of Drs. Margaret Shipp and Jane Skolfield. Mazie was chosen to take advantage of this training with the understanding that the local Relief Society would pay her expenses but after she finished she was to repay them also serve the needs in the Mormon Colonies in Mexico. Her young son, LeRoy, was left in the care of her parents. Later he said that was such a lonesome time for him. When Mazie returned to Mexico after her training she helped with the medical needs of the Saints in Juarez and Dublan. Franklin Demarcus Haymore of Colonia Oaxaca, Sonora, Mexico was now a widower with a family of growing children. He went to Colonia Juarez to a Stake Conference and again renewed his acquaintance with Mazie, a sister to his deceased wife, Pearl Melissa Wilson Brown. Franklin and Mazie were married 14 September 1908, Colonia Juarez. She and son, LeRoy, returned with Franklin to Colonia Oaxaca by wagon to their home. They had the following children: 1. Demarcus Luther Haymore, born 6 August 1910 at Colonia Oaxaca, Sonora, Mexico, died 26 January 1916, Douglas, Cochise County, Arizona 2. Franklin Reynard Haymore, born 24 July 1912 in Colonia Oaxaca, Sonora, Mexico 3. David Wilson Haymore, born 29 August 1914 in Douglas, Cochise County, Arizona 4. Ellen Ireta Haymore, born 18 January 1916 in Douglas, Cochise County, Arizona Mazie was a wonderful woman, not only good to her own children, but to her husband's children by his three former wives. She was blessed with wisdom and good judgment to care for the needs of Franklin in his declining years. Franklin's many grand children that came and went out of the front door never once did “Aunt Mazie” say, “Why don't you children to around to the back door, or stop slamming the door etc” Instead each child that entered would be taught one of the Primary songs or the young teen agers instructed how to care for their complexion and hair. We always felt welcomed and wanted. She was a loving and kind person. “Surely Aunt Mazie will be called blessed, and wear a crown of jewels in her hair as she receives her reward from her Heavenly Father. She passed away on 7th of July 1931 following a goiter operation. Love to all, Leah Haymore Kartchner (signed)

Life timeline of David J. Wilson

David J. Wilson was born on 7 Jun 1843
David J. Wilson was 16 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
David J. Wilson was 19 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
David J. Wilson was 37 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
David J. Wilson was 42 years old when Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog. Louis Pasteur was a French biologist, microbiologist and chemist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and prevention of diseases, and his discoveries have saved many lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".
David J. Wilson was 51 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
David J. Wilson was 65 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
David J. Wilson died on 19 Sep 1912 at the age of 69
Grave record for David J. Wilson (7 Jun 1843 - 19 Sep 1912), BillionGraves Record 15067404 Panguitch, Garfield, Utah, United States