David Evans

26 Aug 1810 - 26 Oct 1872

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

David Evans

26 Aug 1810 - 26 Oct 1872
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

STORY OF LOUISA PHILLIPS (ROSSER) EVANS COATS VEST Louise, daughter of Ann Phillips and William Rosser, adopted by David Evans, was born on February 1838, at the Downs Parish of St. George, Glamorgan, South Wales. (It is said Ann and William had posted banns and he went away with his regiment, but n

Life Information

David Evans


Mona City Cemetery

700 East Cemetery Lane
Mona, Juab, Utah
United States


June 15, 2012

B Hold

June 9, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of David


David Evans is buried in the Mona City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Louisa Phillips Rosser Evans Coats Vest

Contributor: MargieW Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

STORY OF LOUISA PHILLIPS (ROSSER) EVANS COATS VEST Louise, daughter of Ann Phillips and William Rosser, adopted by David Evans, was born on February 1838, at the Downs Parish of St. George, Glamorgan, South Wales. (It is said Ann and William had posted banns and he went away with his regiment, but never returned) When about eight years of age, Louise was sent out to feed the donkey. She had one foot over the stile, when she saw a man come out from behind the house. He had black hair, round white face, and was dressed in white. He walked toward her and then stood staring at her and she at him. He then went back behind the house, and grandmother went into the house, she was so afraid. She was baptized by President Edward Phillips, her uncle, on July 31, 1848, along with others at Twyneroatyn Quarry, and confirmed at the following Latter Day Saints meeting, by Elder William Thomas. At this time the Saints would walk from one to seven miles to attend a meeting. At a two O'clock meeting. Grandmother bore her testimony. It came thru the "Gift of Tongues" and after she sat down, her uncle, Edward Phillips, who kept the records, ask her to get up and bear her testimony again. She did not want to as she had only the same words to say, but her uncle told her to. After she did, her cousin, through inspiration, said "you have a great deal to pass through and you will be blessed on Mt. Zion." Grandmother prayed to the Lord to give her an English prayer and the Spirit of God went through her like a flash of burning fire. Grandmother's occupation at the age of Eleven was nursing; for twenty-five cents a week. Later she worked at a farm house at fifty cents a week. At the farm house she had to sign a contract to stay for a year. She saved her money to go to school, but used it for emigrating instead. She emigrated to America, leaving Liverpool, England on the ship SS Curling, April 18, 1856, known as the forty-ninth company. They arrived at Boston, Mass., after a "rough and boisterous" voyage. They were at sea seven weeks, Dan Jones was the Captain. They passed inspection at Boston and continued on their journey to Iowa City, leaving there 23, June, 1856. The company continued to Florence, making the Third handcart company, and stopping at Winter Quarters. While there Grandmother went to the Bluffs to work. When the company was ready to move on, her stepbrother, Moses Evans, went after her. 'She did not want to go, but her Uncle Edward said she must as she was in his care, and now she said she is thankful to the Lord she came. When they started, a Sister Roberts asked her to stay with her, as she could not travel so fast. The company was soon out of sight, and grandmother saw two Indians coming toward them. She asked Sister Roberts if they would kill them. Sister Roberts said "no," so she put her trust in the Lord and they were not harmed. Later on, her brother, Moses, got very hungry. They were given one cake and a pint of milk between them. These rations were very small. She told Moses to take the corn cake and the milk and eat them, as she would be all right and did not need them. He did and later in the day Grandmother got so hungry she felt she could not stand it. She asked the Lord to take the hunger away from her. There was such a wonderful feeling came over her, words could not express it. Camps were made by circling the wagons together and men would take turns at guarding. Buffalo chips were used to burn for fuel. Meat was supplied from the Buffalo that were killed by the men when they were available. The company, under Captain Edward Bunker and Brother V. Grant, arrived in Salt Lake City in October 2, 1856. They were about four months crossing the plains. They used maple wood to make soap, Quakenaspen to make tea and medicine and burnt bread for coffee. They saved a piece of dough to start the bread for the next baking. They had dried ground cherries, dried squash and dried pumpkin for food also. Shortly after arriving in Salt Lake City, grandmother went to work for Richard Ballentine. Some of the company turned back in the spring of 1857 and wanted grandmother to go with them. She wanted to go, but Brother Ballentine told her not to go, but to be re-baptized. Her parents were in Iowa City at the time. They came out later. She would not be re-baptized at that time. In the spring she went to work for Apostle Benson and stayed nearly all summer. She then went to Mrs. Vernon's home with her. She became very ill and grandmother promised the Lord if she got better she would be re-baptized. In the fall of 1857, she married Mr. William B. Coats, a widower, in a "little round house" on Emmigration Square. Mr. Coats had lived in Cedar Valley and then was called to go to Echo Canyon to meet the troops. Grandmother was very sick. She heard a lady say that she would not live a week, as she had plurisy so bad. Mr. Coats was on his return to Cedar Valley when he and grandmother were married. When they reached Cedar Valley. Mr. Coats called in the Elders and they administered to her, she was healed. Her husband turned all of his property over to the Church. She was re-baptized with her husband and two step children, confirmed at the next meeting. Brother J. B. Long said to grandmother, "you will dream dreams that will come to pass and see visions and have revelations in the name of the Lord." When they moved to South Creek, she lived in a bard and her husband was very sick. An infantryman came and told her what they were going to do with President Brigham Young and others. It made her "blood boil," so she said, "Sir, you that are not a friend to Brigham Young are not a friend of mine, so leave this minute." He left, but afterwards became one of her best friends. It was at South Creek or Camp Floyd that her first baby, Anna Louise, as born, 4 March 1858. Mr. Coats had to leave grandmother alone for several days as he was a sheriff. The night he came home she put the baby in bed and was going to make some clothes for her, but a still voice told her she wouldn't have to. She went to bed and seemed to fall into a trance. She thought she was in a very beautiful room. She saw her baby pass behind her into another room. When she came to, she was very cold and was wrapped in a blanket and a lady was washing her baby to lay her out, as she was taken from the bed cold and dead. The baby was "ten months and six days old." Shortly after, grandmother had a dream in which she saw three roads, she took the straight one, looking for Mr. Coats. She found his skull and it was slick, but spotted with pink. A few days after that, a man who was a horse thief, said to Mr. Coats, "I understand you are looking for me." Mr. Coats said, "I'm not looking for you now." The man said he would cut Mr. Coat's throat from ear to ear. He followed Mr. Coats with a pistol and a dagger in hand and struck his head causing blood to run down his back. Mr. Coats, although wounded, ran around "Happy Jack" and stabbed him with a blunt pocket knife. Jack then told his right name and where the stolen horses were, dying shortly after. Mr. Coats was taken to the guard house until his trial came off. He was freed of blame and released. Mr. Coats went up to a camp he had and was there for two nights. During this time a mob of men, twenty or more, came and searched the house for him twice. When Mr. Coats heard this he came home, saying, "If anyone wants me they will find me here." No one came after that. On June 1, 1860, Jane was born. Then a still voice to Mr. Coats to leave Camp Floyd, so they went to Goshen. Mr. Coats went to Mona to take up some land. The second time he left, a voice told Grandmother to call him back. She didn't do it because she thought it to be imagination. This was on Monday and on Thursday when she went to meet him, she saw one of his helpers and asked, " Is Mr. Coats sick?" He replied, "worse than that." She knew then that he was dead. She fainted and they carried her away. When they took her in to see him, a shadow came over her eyes and she could not see his body. He had died of appendicitis and was buried May 29, 1863. On June 6, 1863, Ruth was born. She was six weeks old when Grandmother moved to Mona, Utah. Grandmother being about 25 years old. Bishop Bryant, from Nephi, called on her to send a yoke of cattle and a wagon to the Plains to bring in the Saints. She did this for two years and in the third year a yoke of cattle only, as they needed no wagons. During these three years, she made cream sage cheese for Brigham Young and Company. She married again March 24, 1865, to John Vest. On November 7, 1865 Mary Ann was born, Rebecca Berthina was born February 7, 1868. Edwin, April 19, 1870, Daniel, April 19, 1872. At this time Jane, aged twelve, became sick. She was sick for five months. One afternoon she was sitting up with her head on Grandmother's bossom and Grandmother sang, "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning," and when she got to the line that says, "the Angels shall come to visit the earth," little Jane saw three Angels by her bed arid three other people, her father, her brother and her father’s first wife. The evening before Jane died, just at sunset. Grandmother saw her step-son. He spoke to her, but she didn't know what to say. She called her husband and started after Jimmy but he vanished. Jane died the next day at 10:00 o'clock in the morning. After Jane died. Grandmother heard a voice and it told her to have prayer with the family each day at 11 o'clock. She asked Mr. Vest to have prayer with them but he refused. She was told to keep the Word of Wisdom. The appetite for tea left her. One day a Sister Kay came in and drank a cup of tea. Grandmother had a cup of tea with her and she felt that she had broken the Word of Wisdom as the longing for tea came back. She never drank tea again for 16 years. While in Mona, a voice told her to take Brother and Sister Sovel some food. She did and when she got there, they said; "thank the Lord, He has heard our prayers." They told Grandmother that they had not had food for four days. She gave them flour until to her own satisfaction or estimation, she had given one hundred pounds and they needed no more. When she got flour from her own bin a voice said, 'see your flour is no less," and to her surprise she found it had not diminished any at all. Later in a class in Salt Lake the Sunday School teacher asked her to speak to the class. She told them this story and bore her testimony. January 11, 1875, Lydia Isabelle was born, her last child. They moved from Mona to (Vernal) for the winter. They moved to Ogden as she had been very sick. She had Brother Hancock and Brother Patterson of the fourth Ward administer to her. After they left, the same still voice said, "you must keep the Word of Wisdom." She told Brother Patterson about it and he said "Amen to that." Grandmother lived with a Brother and Sister Hancock for a time. During this time she was baptized for her health. She asked a Brother in a meeting to ask those on the stand to lay hand on her and this they did before Apostle Richards. He gave her a certain hour to have secret prayer and no matter where she was or what she was doing a voice would say, “come, now is the time." If she was sleeping it would awaken her at that time. She went to Brother Wright and ask him to lay hands on her. He said, "we haven't seen you at meeting." She had been there twice. He also asked her for her recommend, but she had no recommend, so he said, "Then we don't know you." She thought, "well if you don't know me, my Heavenly Father does." After leaving his home she walked a short distance and she would fall to the ground, she was so weak. She put forth all her strength and effort to keep up, she felt that if she did fall she would surely die. She felt she was in the dark with no light to guide her. A small voice said, "Now, you are like Job, who was afflicted with boils, only you are afflicted in body and mind, don't you remember when you, as a girl in the old country, that it came through the gift of tongues, that you had a great deal to pass through?" She could remember it. One night she dreamed that her first husband wanted to draw her near to him, but she didn't want him to. She got up and went to the window, and he sang a song to her, the last words being, "a bitter worm wood." The next day on her way to work, she put some snow in her mouth. It was as bitter as gall. She put it out and took some more, but it was the same. At fast meeting one time, she was very sick. Brother Newel spoke from the stand and she was healed in the congregation. When she got home, a voice told her to pray for her son, Edwin, who was away. She was very much surprised because he was well when he left home. He became sick in school and said that he was going to die. Grandmother told him that if he would keep the Lord's commandments and do the will of the Lord, he would live. Before this in a dream she saw his grave, the width, length and depth, and he was lying face down over it, and she saw the clock fall from the shelf and she caught it. He got to be skin and bones, he was so sick. His sister Bertha had him prayed for in the Tabernacle, and at four o'clock in that afternoon he moved for the first time in two months. That night Bishop McQuarrie and Brother Doxey administered to him and he spoke for the first time in many weeks. Grandmother was so thankful, as she thought he would never speak again. The Bishop came each day and told her how much food to give him and said if she fed him too much he would die. Grandmother was sick a great deal of her life and when in Salt Lake she went to see a Doctor Van, a member of the Church. The Doctor wondered how grandmother had lived, because of the condition she was in. Grandmother replied that it was her faith and trust in the Lord and His servants and the Priesthood, that by going from one to another to have hands laid on her head. She said, "that is the way I have lived for the last thirty years, that is the way I am living today. I have sent my name to the Temple three times and have received many blessings when sick by asking an interest in the different brothers' prayers." Grandmother raised two of her grandchildren and after their father died she did all she could for them. She lived to 87 years old and died at the home of her youngest daughter, Lydia Isabel Vest Olsen in Ogden, Utah. She died the 26th Day of December 1925. She was buried in the Ogden City Cemetery. Services were conducted by the Bishop of the Ogden Second Ward, located on 26th Street, between Grant and Lincoln Avenues. Hers was a full and difficult life, as she had much to pass through but she proved faithful and was such a dear sweet soul. I used to love to hear her sing and listen to the stories that she would tell to us. She was a fitting example of a true member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (The original story of this woman was written by her grandaughter. Naomi Olsen Whale, when Naomi was about 16 years of age, as it was told to her by Louise Phillips Evans Coats Vest. The handwritten copy is in the possession of Great Grandaughter Ernestine Rowett Stromberg who has memories of this tiny Welsh lady and remembers sitting in Sunday School the first time, with her by my side on a small chair. She had a sense of humor, stating she had married Mr. Coates and Mr. Vest and was waiting for Mr. Pants, so she could have a full suit. Greatgrandmother was small of stature, it seemed she never came any higher than my shoulder. She seemed to always wear the same black taffeta dress with tucks and lace and a small bonnett to match. Her shoes were always high button with low heels. She would sing to us in Welsh, songs from her childhood.) Ernestine

David Evans Memorial

Contributor: MargieW Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Birth: Aug. 26, 1810 Vale of Glamorgan, Wales Death: Oct. 26, 1872 Mona Juab County Utah, USA Son of Thomas Evans. Baptized 03/14/1848 into the LDS church by Elder James Ellis and confirmed by Elder William Jenkins. First wife: Amy or Emma (Emma on 1851 Wales Census) Hughes, married 09/03/1832 at Rockfield, Monmouthshire, Wales. However, married first by banns 08/12/1832 at Rumney Parish, Monmouthshire, Wales. She was baptized into the LDS church 04/15/1848 by Elder William Jenkins. She died 06/15/1851 in Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales. They had 6 kids: Job, Moses, Emma, David (died a boy), Sarah, John. Second wife: Ann Phillips, married 06/24/1852 in Cardiff, Wales. They had one adopted daughter Louisa Rosser (real) Evans (adopted) Coates (married) Vest (married). Emigrated 04/19/1856 from Liverpool, England arriving in Boston, Massachusetts 05/23/1856 on the ship Samuel Curling. Only David, Ann, Moses, Sarah, John, and Louisa emigrated together. Job stayed in Cardiff and died from injuries sustained in a horse carriage accident 10/11/1889 and was buried 10/15/1889 in Llandaff, Glamorganshire, Wales. Emma came to the U.S. at some point and died in SLC 01/30/1932. David's family immediately traveled from Boston to Iowa City by train, and then to Florence (Omaha), Nebraska by wagon. David, Ann, Sarah and John left 06/22/1860 from Florence, NE in the John Smith Company and arrived 09/01/1860 in Utah. Moses and Louisa left 07/30/1856 from Florence, NE in the Edward Bunker handcart company and arrived 10/02/1856 in Utah. David died of bloody flux (disentery), an inflammatory disorder of the intestine. Family links: Spouse: Ann Phillips Evans (1809 - 1889) Children: Job Evans (1833 - 1889)* Moses Evans (1835 - 1924)* Sarah Evans Rutherford (1844 - 1933)* John Evans (1847 - 1921)* *Calculated relationship

Life timeline of David Evans

David Evans was born on 26 Aug 1810
David Evans was 15 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
David Evans was 21 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
David Evans was 30 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
David Evans was 49 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
David Evans was 52 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
David Evans died on 26 Oct 1872 at the age of 62
Grave record for David Evans (26 Aug 1810 - 26 Oct 1872), BillionGraves Record 1455094 Mona, Juab, Utah, United States