Daniel Elium Crouse

15 Aug 1915 - 18 Jun 2005


Daniel Elium Crouse

15 Aug 1915 - 18 Jun 2005
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Daniel Elium Crouse (15 Aug 1915 - 18 Jun 2005) at Orem Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Daniel Elium Crouse
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Daniel Elium Crouse


Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


August 4, 2011

Orem Cemetery

January 1, 1970

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Daniel Elium...

We found more records about Daniel Elium Crouse.

Grave Site of Daniel Elium


Daniel Elium Crouse is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ella May Nott

Contributor: timothygcross Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Ella May Nott Ella May Nott was born in Fruita, Mesa, Colorado June 7th 1897. The second daughter of Julian Bostwick Nott and Martha Vilate Bateman. Ella’s oldest sister, Cornelia Elva Nott, was born April 1st 1896. Julian Nott operated a country store in Rangely, Colorado at the same time that the parents of Martha Vilate, Joseph Hyrum Bateman and Sylvia Amelia Glazier, ran a boarding house. Julian Nott was from Watertown, Jefferson, New York and was a few months older than Martha Vilate’s mother. They went to Vernal, Uintah, Utah to be married. Martha was only 15 years old, but said on the marriage certificate that she was 18. They were married April 13, 1895. Julian Nott was 36 years old. They lived in Rangely, Colorado for about a year. They then moved to Fruita, Colorado where Cornelia and Ella May were born. When Ella was a year old the family moved to Vernal, Utah. When Ella was 15 months old her father died December 14th 1898. He was buried in Vernal by the W.O.W. Lodge that he belonged to. Martha’s third child, Sylvia Jane Nott was born September 27th, 1898 in Vernal. The following October Martha moved with her three little daughters to Glenwood Springs, Colorado. She lived with her Father-in-law, Christopher Columbus Nott and his brother Silas. She was just 18 years old. While she was in Glenwood Springs she accepted a marriage proposal from John Packer from Vernal. He went to Glenwood Springs with a horse and buggy to pick up Martha and the girls. They were married March 2nd 1900 in Glenwood Springs. They moved back to Vernal and lived in a house that John had built on an acre of ground near the Seely farm in Ashley Ward. Two boys were born to John and Martha. They were Clarence Elmer Packer born in Vernal on October 22, 1899. and John Nathan Packer born also in Vernal on April 19th 1902. In April of 1904 Martha and John were divorced. Martha now had five children under the age of 8. She was just 24 years old. On June 4th 1906 she married Docerus Elium (Happy) Crouse in Venal, Utah. Ella was 9 years old at the time. They lived in the little house near the Seely farm for a year. Then in June 1907 the family moved to Dragon, Utah. In January 1911 the family moved back to Vernal. They lived with Martha’s brother Joe and his wife. When Ella was 14 they moved into a two room log house with a dirt roof. When they lived in Dragon Ella and Cornelia had to work very hard. Happy Crouse made a yolk from wood that fit across the girls shoulders with a bucket on each end. The girls had to haul water up hill a great distance so their mother could wash clothes for the miners. Ella and Cornelia had to wear boys heavy clothes and had to wash dishes in a restaurant from a young age. By this time Martha and Docerus Crouse had four children. William Henry Crouse born March 26th 1907 at Dragon, Utah. Franklin Devere Crouse born April 5th 1908 at Vernal. Ida Vilate Crouse born August 28th 1909 at Dragon. On March 30th 1911 Twins were born to Martha and Docerus. But one of the twins died soon after birth. The other Hattie Lucile Crouse brought the total in the family to nine children. On August 19th Cornelia married James Hayes. Two more children were born to this family. Raymond Delos Crouse born March 28th 1913 at Vernal and Daniel Elium Crouse born about 1915 at Vernal. Ella married Edward Paul Gray March 2nd, 1914. She was just 16 years old. Edward and Ella lived in Vernal. Their first child, Bessie Evelyn Gray was born December 8th 1914. Their second child, Russell Edward Gray was born February 26th 1917. When Russell was about 15 months the family homesteaded on the flat between a town called Maeser and the coal mine that Edward operated with his father, George Gray. Edward built a little log house on the ground and cleared the sagebrush. The family had a garden. At the coal mine Ella cooked for up to 20 men three times a day. In the spring of 1919 the family moved back to Vernal. On May 31st 1919 their third child, Elda May was born. In June 1923 Edward and Ella sold their home in Vernal. They had to take their first child, Bessie to a lower climate because Bessie had Rheumatic fever. The family went from Vernal to Provo, Utah by stage. The stage was a big car. They went to San Bernardino, California. While in San Bernardino Edward Gray and Ella’s half brother Elmer Packer got as job loading lumber on railroad cars. There was a fire in the lumberyard and Edward and Elmer were wrapped in wet blankets with hoses standing on top of the lumber to keep it from burning. Ella and the family got up on the roof and watched the fire. Another experience happened while in San Bernardino. Six weeks after arriving an earthquake shook the house. Elmer was in the pantry eating bread and honey. He came out with honey all over himself. The honey jar spilled on him during the earthquake. Elmer Packer and his wife Esther were married while in San Bernardino. Shortly after this event the family packed up and moved to Oakland. Edward built rails on the car. The family put their clothes under the seats and packed the groceries on the running boards. On the way the family stopped and played on the beach. They stayed with George and Priscilla Gray, Edward’s parents. From Oakland the family moved to El Cerito, California. They lived in a little two room house on a hill across from San Francisco. On a clear day they could see a Big Ben Clock. While there the children had Mumps and Red Measles. Russell and Elda had Chicken Pox and Diptheria. Ella and Edward had their hands full with three sick children. Between September 1923 and June 1924 the children received six week of school. The family moved back to Vernal, Utah in the summer of 1924. It was a long hard trip. One day they had eleven flat tires. At Winnemucca, Nevada they had to put new brakes on the car. At Elko, they saw monkeys. None of the family had ever seen monkeys before. Ella took great delight in her children. So it was with much anticipation that another child arrived on November 26th 1926. The delight was short lived however as Irvin Julian Gray died on November 23rd 1926. Irvin died of Pneumonia. Ella’s grief was deep and it wasn’t until another child was on the way that she began to get over the loss of Irvin. George R. Was born August 29th 1928 at Vernal. He was blessed in the new Vernal First Ward Chapel. In 1930 when George was just 16 months old he burned his hand on the stove and it developed into blood poisoning. He started having convulsions. A neighbor Mrs. Will Mott was with Ella when this happened. Russell was sent to get the elders. While he was gone George was put in a hot mustard bath. Russell got Mr. Gurr and Mr. Whitbeck to come and administer to George, Just as they got there George started another round of convulsions. George was administered to and settled down to a peaceful sleep. He recovered rapidly. That was and still is a Great Testimony to the family on the power of the healing by the laying on of hands. More children were to come to Ella and Edward. Berle Gene Gray was born December 22nd 1934 in Vernal then on January 24th 1937 another son was born. Sadly he only lived a short time. He died the same day he was born and was not named. Their oldest daughter, Bessie, married Arthur Ancil Masters June 15th, 1940 at Salt lake City. Their oldest son, Russell married September 11th 1940 to Laura Bartlett also at Salt Lake City. Then on December 4th 1940 their second daughter Elda married Edison Ricord. Also in Salt Lake City. The family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah in November 1942 during Thanksgiving vacation. The home they eventually moved to and purchased was located at 566 South 9th East. Their family was now down to two sons, George age 12, and Gene age 6. George was married to Marion Sheppard September 15th 1950. Gene was married to Betty Jean Peterson September 4th 1964. Their oldest son Russell Gray died January 26th 1970 in Springville, Utah. He was buried in Springville. Edward and Ella continued to live on 9th East until shortly before the death of their son, Russell. Prior to that time Edward Paul Gray and Ella May moved into a nursing home as their health was such that they could not easily take care of themselves. Edward Paul Gray died July 8th 1970. Ella Gray died March 6th 1974. Both Edward Paul and Ella May Gray were buried in Vernal with their two infant sons who had preceded them in death. Adapted from histories written by Bessie Evelyn Gray Masters. and Hattie L. Crouse Warby by Ed Masters

Martha Vilate Bateman

Contributor: timothygcross Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Martha Vilate Bateman On the 3rd of July 1940 in Vernal I asked my mother to tell me some of the events of her life that she could remember which I could write which might be of some interest to her children and grandchildren. She did and I wrote a few things in a little blue book. Afterwards I made a copy of it and gave it to other members of my family and several of them have it now. However, I am again going to endeavor to write it again and try to add a few things besides what is in that little blue notebook and I hope I can get the facts straight and accurate. Martha Vilate Bateman, daughter of Joseph Hyrum Bateman and Sylvia Amelia Glazier, was born 12 May 1879 in Richmond, Cache, Utah. Her brother Joseph Hyrum Jr. who was older than herself, her sister Sarah Elizabeth who was just younger than herself were also born there. Her sister, Margaret Amelia who was only three years or so when she died was born in Preston, Idaho. Her next sister Bertha Armida was born in Rangely, Colorado. She lived only two years. The next child a boy, Bertie Le Roy, was born in Vernal. He lived only about three years. The youngest child Myrtle May was born in Rio-Blanco county, Colorado in a small place called White River. She lived until 1933. This place called White River was not a town. It is not on the Colorado map. This information I have taken from Church Records. From my father’s history which was written by my brother Frank. He said White River was a stop-over for the stage going to Dragon from Vernal and was a big white farm house. There may have also been other houses there too. In fact from a Colorado Gazetteer in the Genealogical Library in Salt Lake City it says that White River was a Post Village in Rio-Blanco County on the Colorado Midland Railway. I hope this is correct. Mama said that the family left Richmond in the winter of 1881 when her little sister Millie (Margaret) was a baby. Now this baby was born in Preston, Idaho. My mother did not say when or why they had gone to Idaho then back to Richmond. I do wish I knew more about these things. I regret that I did not ask mama about them. She said she could not remember just where her folks were planning to go but for some reason they got lost and ended up in Ashley Valley. Incidentally, grandpa Bateman as well as others in those days moved from one place to another looking for work or a better place to live. They did not own land and homes, most of them, and had very little of earthly possessions. Just a team and wagon right up until the last few years of his life. Anyway Mama said that when they left Richmond that they traveled with “Uncle” Den Winn along with his sons Dennis, John, James and Frank. Now I do not know if these sons were married at this time. (Explanation – In the Winn records which I have I find that James Nephi Winn was born in Salt Lake and his wife Angeline Thomas was born in Lehi, Utah. They were married in Vernal in 1875 but their first three children were born in Preston, Idaho. So no doubt these families were all traveling together.) A few years later Grandpa and Grandma Bateman took their family and moved to Lily Park Colorado. In the Colorado Gazetteer in the Genealogical Library in Salt Lake City I found that Lily Park is a valley in Routt county Colorado north of Yampa river and east of Snake River. The county seat is in Steamboat Springs. They lived there for about five years. The little daughter Bertha Armida was born during this time though the records show that she was born in Rangely, Colorado which is in Rio Blanco county. While they lived in Lily Park Grandpa used to haul freight with his team and wagon. From Lily Park to Rawlings, Wyoming. He spent a lot of his time in this profession. He used to haul freight from Salt lake City to Vernal and other places. This I remember. My mother said the first schooling she got was in Vernal. School was held in the old Stake house which was located just east of where the post office is now in Vernal. It was a pioneer custom to hold school as well as most all important meetings in the local church house. Her teacher was Mrs. Rich. Charles and Joe Rich’s mother. She said books were scarce and they used slates for some time. Later they used pencils and paper. Also she said she only went as far as the fifth grade. That year they lived in Wellington, Utah, which is about six miles or so from Price. They lived in Wellington for a few years. They went to Vernal to spend the Christmas Holidays and did not go back to Wellington to live. At this time she was about thirteen years old. Grandpa went to Wyoming and did not say where he was going. Grandma thought he had gone to Wellington to get their earthly possessions which they had left there. He stayed in Wyoming about six weeks. Now I guess we will never know exactly what were his reasons for going away and not saying why or where he was going. But it was some human reason and may not have been serious. Grandmother was pregnant and they were staying with relatives and friends and no doubt there was some kind of friction. Grandma Bateman was staying with Alonzo Mc Carroll and his family. Mama’s sister Sarah was staying with Elias and Nancy Winn. Mom was staying with John and Lottie Winn. She could not remember where uncle Joe was staying. When Grandpa returned he and Grandma continued to stay with the Mc Carroll’s until after the baby was born. Mama said the baby was stillborn. Though there is no record of it on the family’s records that I am aware of. The family moved to a house on what is now 500 East in Vernal across the street from Curtis Hadlock and his wife Edith. They used to call them uncle Curt and aunt Edie when I was a little girl. She was an invalid who spent her day time in a wheel chair. Mama used to go and rub Aunt Edie’s legs and feet. I remember Aunt Edie when I was a little girl. Of her being in a wheel chair and how white her skin was. It was as white as human flesh could be. No doubt it was from the years she spent in the house away from the sunshine. While they were there Grandma Bateman took in students and taught them ‘reading’ ‘ritin’ and ‘rithmatic’. She did not have a diploma or license of even any authority except that she wanted to. No doubt she had a fair education. And in those days that was enough authority. Mama said that Grandma was real proud of herself. Mama, her brother Joe and sister Sarah were among the students. Mama said they had a lot of fun and good times. I can not help but wonder why she did not also teach Grandpa to read and write. He was completely illiterate. He said that he had to heard cows when he was a boy and couldn’t go to school. But in those days schooling was more difficult than in later years. In July of 1893 they moved to Rangely, Colorado to find work. Mama was fourteen years old at this time. Grandma Bateman ran a boarding house there was a country store which was managed by a man managed Julian Nott. I imagine the Bateman family used to buy groceries and etc. from the store. And maybe Mr. Nott ate at the boarding house. Though he probably had his own place of residence. Anyway be that as it may Mr. Nott no doubt found mother pleasing to the eye and desirable as a wife. They formed a friendship which ended in marriage. Mr. Nott was a few months older than Grandma Bateman. Mama was fifteen years old at the time of her marriage, 13 April 1895. She turned sixteen about one month later. They went to Vernal to be married. The county seat in Rio-Blanco is Meeker which is east of Rangely. Why they went to Vernal instead of Meeker we will probably never know. Maybe the distance was shorter of the roads better to Vernal. When I found the marriage license and marriage certificate in the Harold B. Lee library at BYU I wondered why mama’s parents were not witnesses at her marriage but since Grandma was running a boarding house in Rangely no doubt they could not leave it. I also wondered why they listed their residence as Rio-Blanco County Colorado. I did not know when I found this, that they were living in Colorado. Mama listed her age as eighteen years. She must have been quite mature for her age. Though she was not tall. About five feet two inches. She was shorter than me. Mama and Julian Bostwick Nott lived in Rangely for about one year. From there they moved to Fruita, Colorado where their first two daughters were born. Cornelia and Ella. When Ella was about one year old they moved back to Vernal. Grandma and Grandpa Bateman along with mama’s sister Sarah and her new Husband, James Ellifritz, went to Fruita to visit them and they all went back to Vernal. The youngest daughter, Sylvia, was born shortly before Julian Bostwick Nott died. I found the news Item in the old Vernal Express at BYU library about his passing away. The funeral was held in the old Stake House where mama went to school. The following October mama took the three little girls and went to Glenwood Springs, Colorado where they lived with the girls grandfather Christopher Columbus Nott. Commonly called Major. I do not know if he had been a military man or not. He had a brother Silas who also lived with him. While she was living there she received a letter from John Packer in Vernal asking her to marry him. She wrote back and accepted his marriage proposal. He went out with his team and wagon, or buggy and got them. They were married there in Glenwood Springs. It is the county seat of Garfield county. They lived in Ashley Ward in a house John built. It was on an acre of land near the farm of a Mr. Seeley. Several years later Mama sold the acre of land, minus the house, to Mr. Seeley. Mama’s first son, Clarence Elmer, was born 22 October 1900. A Mrs. Elmer took care of her. I imagine she was a mid-wife. Mama liked her so much that she named her son Elmer in her honor. On the 19th of April 1902 John Nathan was born. Mama always spoke of him as Johnny, which was what we always called him, though we did not know him. The only time I saw Johnny was in his casket after he died the 24th of November 1930. I found the vernal Express news item on the film at BYU. I have a copy of it in my records. He, Johnny had been living in Salt Lake City and was working at the Lincoln Hotel. He was to have been married in January but he got pneumonia and died. His remains were taken to Vernal and buried beside his father. In 1904 Mama divorced John, but he got custody of Johnny. Mama said she did not see him much after that. Mr. Packer died the 10th of April 1906 of Pneumonia which was the result of a coal mine accident or explosion which occurred the 27th of February six weeks before he died. The coal mine was his own which he called the BLUEBELL COAL MINE. He was making a new entrance into the mine and was using giant powder to blast the earth away. He was using a drill which had been tempered. That means the drill had been heated. Mr. Packer thought it had cooled, but it had not cooled enough. It was hot enough to set off the cap which caused the two sticks of giant powder to explode, knocking him backwards about ten feet. His face was skinned and his left hand badly injured. Also his clothes were torn badly. There was a man working for him who bound up his injured hand then took him to town. As they had to travel with team and wagon it was a slow drive, two or three hours. The article in the old Vernal Express which I found in the library at BYU said his external wounds had healed but there were internal injuries which the doctor was unable to do anything about. Now days a person could be flown from Vernal to Salt Lake in less time than it took to get him from the coal mine into town and the internal injuries could have been detected and treated and the pneumonia could have been prevented. And if medical science had been as far advanced in 1930 as it is today, when Johnny got pneumonia, he to could have been saved. But I guess it was to be as it was. Johnny was about twenty months old when mama got her divorce from John. He was almost four years old when his dad died. He then lived with Elias and Nancy Winn. Nancy was John senior’s aunt. Johnny went to school at old Ashley school where Clyde and Norene went. I don’t know if Johnny went to high school but I rather imagine he did because at the time of his death he was working at the Lincoln Hotel in Salt Lake City as a Clerk. I imagine that would require at least a High school education. I am sure that Johnny was active in Church. He was an elder and was planning a temple marriage. His untimely death prevented that. I am sure that by now or long before he has found his Eternal companion. I do not know if it would have been the girl he was engaged to in 1930. If not then someone else. He has been in the spirit world for almost fifty years. His farther has been there for eighty six years and I can believe that they are both very active teaching the Gospel. To go on with mama’s story: In April of 1905 while she was still living in the house which John built for her on the Seeley farm she met my father. Docerus Elium Crouse. Everyone called him Dorry. I guess that was what his family called him. Just as most families shorten the names of some of their children. Though after he became a father he was so happy that he acquired the nickname Happy Crouse. And he liked that. He had been married before but his first wife would not bear children. Mama said that Dad had got acquainted with a man named Joe Dobson who sometimes boarded at Grandma Bateman’s house. And I guess my dad went there to eat when he was in the neighborhood. Dad had a door to door salesman’s business. He sold hats, ribbons, etc. My dad told me this. He said he sold Grandma a hat for Aunt Myrtle. No doubt he took part of his pay in the form of home cooked meals. Mama’s house was just a short distance from the house which Grandpa and Grandma Bateman lived in. Though it was not their own home. From the way mama talked she must have spent quite a lot of her time at Grandma’s house. Anyway that was where she met my dad. Dad’s history has a more complete version of this account. On the 4th of June 1906 they were married at the court house in Vernal. I found the original marriage license and marriage certificate in the old Uintah county records at the Harold B. Lee library at BYU. The same book that mama’s and Mr. Nott’s marriage record is in. they continued to live in mama’s house for a few months. On the 26th of March 1907 their first son William Henry was born. Then in June they moved out to Dragon. He died the 26th of June from Pneumonia and they took his little body back to Vernal where dad was buried in the Venal Cemetery. Franklin DeVere was born the 5th of April 1908 in Dragon. Sixteen months later on the 28th of August Ida Vilate was born. In January of 1911 the family moved back to Vernal. From mama’s account they moved in with uncle Joe and Aunt Emily Bateman and their infant daughter Louisa, for a short time until they got a house just west of there. Both of these houses were little dirt roofed log houses. Two rooms. I can remember both of these houses. I and my still born twin brother were born in this house. There was also a dirt roofed two room log house like these two across the street where we also lived later on. This house is where Daniel Elium was born 15th of August 1915. and Ramond Deloss was born in a similar house by the grist mill on north Vernal Avenue. He was born 28th March 1913. two years before Dan was born. These houses were typical pioneer houses. The one where Dan was born we always called ‘the old house.’ When the family was living in the house where I was born Ella came down with small pox. The three girls had been to a dance up on Brush Creek to some ranch where they were exposed to them. All of the family, or the children had them except me. I was a tiny breast fed baby and so was immune. Later we moved to the house where Ray was born, then to the ‘old house’ where Dan was born. I cannot remember the complete details but when we were living at the ‘old house’ Cornie and Ella were married. I think Sylvia was living and working for a family named Karren, out in Ashley ward. Dad wanted mama to go back to Dragon but she would not. She obtained a divorce from him the 8th of December 1915 and he went back to Dragon. Dad said he cold not make a living in Vernal though he did try. I know, I have heard his side of this. Though I can imagine what it must have been like living in Dragon, a mining town where almost everyone lived in tents and no Church or very much to make life desirable. So I don’t blame mama for not wanting to go back. It was just a very unhappy situation. Who knows why it had to be so?? Maybe someday we will know. I think Elmer was living with Grandpa and Grandma Bateman at this time. I cannot remember much about Elmer when I was young. So after mama got the divorce she was alone again with a family to support, five Crouse kids. Again she spent some time helping Grandma Bateman wash clothes for people. A lot of the time or some of it she would leave us alone at home and we got into a lot of mischief. Not distructful mischief, just childish things. But that is a story of it’s own. I think most of us have written these things in our personal histories. Most of it goes in Frank’s history. Then on the 2nd of November she married LeRoy Teancum Kempton. He was always just Roy to us. We continued moving around from one log house to another. Not too long after they were married we went up to a little brush creek where Cornie and Monty Hayes were living on some ones farm. I do not remember just how long we stayed there but I do remember when we went back to Vernal. It must have been in the spring because it was raining and when we got into the valley the wagon got stuck in the mud. We were miserable and wet. I remember that we were rescued by Charles Hardy who took us to where ever it was that we went. He had a two horse buggy with a top over it. Not closed in but a top anyway. In the summer of 1919 we were living in Curtis Hadlock’s pasture in tents. While we were there dad went to Vernal and took Frank back with him, where he lived for the next four years. After dad got married the third time Frank went back to Vernal and lived with us until he was about sixteen years old. We moved from Hadlock’s pasture to another one just west of Hadlock’s and stayed there a short time. From there we moved out by Ashley creek and lived there in the tents. One on one side of the road and the other on the other side. One was the kitchen and the other one was the bedroom. We were just like Gypsies. Then sometime in September or October we moved into a house!! Out in Ashley Ward. The house belonged to A R. Timothy. It was about where the Lee Soward’s farm house is now. That was where we were living when Vera was born 22 Oct 1919. Then a few months later we moved to another house about two or three city blocks from the first one. While we were there the roof caught on fire. I can remember seeing mama throw water with a bucket up on the fire. It was probably caused from the hot stove pipe which was through the roof. Some of us kids ran to the neighbors, or it may have been the man who owned the house. He came and put the fire out. They, or we got the water from a ditch. We always lived by a ditch of running water. From there we moved further west in Ashley Ward to Milo Hadlock’s ranch where Aunt Myrtle and Uncle Warren Kempton were living. We lived in a back room. While we were living there mama had an awful sore throat. I have always wondered if it was diphtheria. Though none of the rest of us got it. She was really sick. There was a thick white coating on her throat. I can remember that. She lost so much weight that she could wear Grandma’s clothes. Grandma’s normal weight was about one hundred pounds. I think from there we moved to Maeser in a small two room house though not a dirt roofed one which belonged to Andrew Vernon. It was across the street and a little to the south of the old Maeser school. We were there when school was going but Ida and I did not go. I guess we didn’t want to or we probably did not have decent clothes. By the way we did go to school while we were living in the Timothy houses in Ashley Ward and also while we were at Milo Hadlock’s place. From Andrew Vernon’s place we moved to one which belonged to his brother William (Bill) Vernon which was about a mile or so south of the Maeser store, on the same street. I don’t remember how long we lived there, probably not very long. I think from there we moved to town. There used to be two little houses about one and a half blocks west of town on the south side of the street just west of the Walker Bank or where the bank is now. Though it used to be the Gipson Hotel. They were owned by Doctor Harvey Coe Hullinger who lived to be 102 years old. One was a dirt roofed house and the other one was a frame house with shingles on the roof. We lived in both of these houses at different times. There three houses on main street that we lived in also but I don’t remember just when. One was about half way between first and second west on the south side of the street. It was built right up to the sidewalk – it was almost directly in front of the two Hullinger houses – it was a real old western false front place, There was another one between first and second west which also had a false front and was built right up to the sidewalk. There was another house just west of this one which we were living in which had a flat roof. There was a stairway leading to the roof where we used to play. It was after World War I but memories of it were still in our mind. Frank found a piece of iron pipe which he used for a war weapon of a sort. He took it to the roof and laid it on the ledge which was high enough that he had to put his hands on it then jump to pull himself up so he could see over it. He did just that and as he pulled himself up he pushed the pipe over the side. Ida was standing on the ground directly under it and it came hurtling down and hit her in the head. It knocked her unconscious and scared us all. We thought she was dead. I can remember seeing her lying there on the ground and how scared I was. Frank says that the neighbors brought her ice cream cones and really pampered her for a while. The houses with the false fronts were torn down and replaced with modern buildings. Vernal was a real old west town when we were kids. We also lived in a house across from Central School. We were living there when Frank came back from Dragon the first time. He and Ida and I and Ray and Dan all went to Central School. There were also two dirt roofed log houses on what is now 500 north and about 700 or 800 east where we lived. I think we lived in the one furthest to the west when Frank was in Dragon. It was west of Archie and Maggie Weeks’ house. When we lived in this one we used to go to the Weeks’ and get skim milk to make gravy with. Mama used to make “Mormon Gravy”. A lot of our meals were bread and gravy. The bread was nearly always baking powder biscuits. Sometimes the gravy was just water gravy made by browning the flour and using plain water which is not bad at all. Then after the Weeks’ family moved to California to live, we lived in their house. But before we moved there we lived in one on 500 East and about 300 North. It was owned by W.W. Lewis who was the town Jeweler. He was also a trader of a sort. I think we were living there when Frank went away with some mattress makers, the Wise Brothers, William and Elmer. Though Frank was also with us when we lived at the Weeks house. I do know though that we moved from the Weeks house to a big one on first east and about third north. It belonged to Loren Hatch. It had four rooms. We shut up the two back ones because it took too much fuel to heat it all and we only had one stove, the cook stove. We lived there for several years. Or Mama and Roy and Vera did. Ida and I both got married at this time and Ray and Dan left shortly after. A few years later Roy got a building lot across from the Hospital and put up a tent on a frame with a floor also. They lived in this for a while. The Hospital was not there when they first moved there but it was built after they had their house built. Roy traded around for material and had a small two room house built. They were quite comfortable there for a while. Then Frank paid Ashton Brothers to build on a small bedroom and a bathroom. This was HOME for them after thirty or more years moving around from one place to another and it was their last earthly home. The last few years Ida and I would go and help mama with the cleaning, or do it for her. Vera got married and moved to Salt Lake for several years so mama and Roy were alone for that time. Vera was there the last year or so both before mama passed away and she lived with Roy until he died. Then she lived in the house until the Catholic Priest bought the place and had the house torn down. Mama bought an electric range there at this house, also she got an electric washer. And it was close to town for her to go shopping when she needed to go or wanted to. She fell and injured one knee which caused her to walk stiff legged the last few years of her life. Mama was a fairly good cook. She could make excellent hot rolls. She did not make them as most cooks do. She did not use eggs, shortening and milk. She just made regular bread dough. “Light Dough” we always called it. She would make a large enough batch of dough so she could use a small amount for a pan of biscuits. She did not roll the dough out and cut it with a biscuit cutter, instead she would pinch off small bits of dough and put them in a regular baking pan. We always called the pan a “dripper.” She would put the bits of dough close together so that instead of spreading out, they just raised up, so the rolls or biscuits were about two and a half inches thick, or more. But they were always so light and fluffy and when spread with butter-not margarine - they were delicious, mmm good! She also used to make flour mush, which I imagine her mother taught her and which she taught her daughters. Though I don’t know if any of her daughters except me ever made it. But I do. I like flour mush. Mama was like Grandma Bateman about her laundry. All white clothes had to be scrubbed on the wash board then boiled in a boiler full of suds on the stove. Sometimes in the summertime they would make a fire outside and set a tub on rocks with a fire under the tub to boil the clothes. Then the clothes were rubbed again then rinsed in two tubs of clear water. The colored clothes were rubbed through then rinsed twice also. No clothes were hung out until they were their cleanest. White clothes that did not look as white as they wanted them to were left out to bleach in the sun for a day or two. In Franks history of dad and mama he said that dad bought mama a hand washing machine. One with a big flywheel and a stick which had to be pulled back and forth which kept the wheel going round and round in the suds. Also there would have been a hand wringer to wring the water from the clothes. I can remember that grandma had one similar to this which had an electric motor to run it. She used it to wash the clothes through one water then boiled the white ones and rubbed the white and colored ones through a second wash, then two rinses. Mama had a regular conventional washer but she used to boil the white ones all through a second suds then rinse twice. She never used an automatic washer but I used to take her laundry to a Laundromat the last few months of her life. She liked music and had some musical talent. She could play a harmonica or we called them mouth harps or mouth organs. She could sing fairly well too. The last year I was home I worked at the Gipson Hotel and for part of my pay I got a portable Victorola. It was a wind up kind and it used needles which had to be changed each time, or should have been changed each time, though we would use them several times and even sharpened them. This was not very good for the records. They were not made of the durable material that records are made of now. I am sure that when she was young she liked to dance. Waltz, two-step, square dances and Virginia reel and others. She liked the fishing trips we used to take in the summer time. Most of the time we went to brush creek and although mama had most of the work to do, cooking the fish Roy caught, sometimes cooking baking powder bread in the frying pan and other food all on a camp fire, she enjoyed it all. She was always overweight. Her normal weight was two hundred pounds until the last year or so then she lost a lot of weight. When she got down where she had to stay in bed I used to go down and take care of her. I lived in Maeser. Finally we took her to the Idlewilde rest home. And now I will copy from another little blue note boo which I kept as a journal in which I kept a record of some of the things that took place while she was in this rest home. It was started Sunday April 29th 1962. and goes thus: Bill, Sybil, Cherl, Rod and I went to Salt Lake to see Aaron off on his mission to Scotland. Mama was at Idlewilde where she had been for about six weeks of so. Her condition grew worse each day. I had spent a lot of time with her. Ella had gone out from her home in Salt Lake City to see mama. She was staying with Sylvia. Sylvia lived on south Vernal Avenue. I worried about leaving mama to go to Salt lake but I felt that I had an obligation to Aaron and we did want to see him again as he would be gone for two years. So I kept a prayer in my heart that she would not pass away before we returned home. I was 5 AM on Monday when we did get back home after being awake all night we were all sleepy. We all went to bed and about two hours later the phone rang. It was Sylvia. It was about 8 AM Sylvia said that mama had had a bad day Sunday. So I got up and went down and got Sylvia and Ella and we went down to see mama. She knew us and talked a little. She kept saying, “I’ve got to get up. I’ve got to get up.” And she would push the covers back like she was going to get up. Then she said “I’m so tired.” And I’m sure that she was. We just stayed little while. The doctor had been down to see her. In fact he had given her a shot of something which moved a lot of water which was accumulating in her chest. Sylvia said the doctor said that he did not think she would live through Sunday night but she did and all day Monday and Monday night. Tuesday morning Bill and I went down about 8:30 o 9:00 O clock. We could see that in would not be long. She was having difficulty breathing. We could hear fluid rattling in her throat. Roy had gone down earlier to and only stayed a short time. He said when he heard those “death rattles” he knew that she would not live very long. Leafy Moore, Sylvia’s sister in law, took Sylvia and Ella down. They stayed until about 9:30. but Leafy had to leave so Sylvia and Ella went with her. The nurse had laid her with her head at the foot of the bed. I stood there and held her hand. She passed away about 10: 0 clock. She did not struggle or make a sound. I have always been glad that Bill and I were there with her. A few more thoughts: she never did knit of do any kind of fancy work. But she could sew both by hand and on the sewing machine. She used to make clothes for us kids and sew on patches that were very neat. She used to cut out her own patterns which were very good. She taught her daughters to do these things too as well as to make bread, do ironing and all house work. When we used to live in town, when we were kids, we would go to the library which was on main street and get books which mama would read to us. I remember there were books about twins in different countries which we liked especially. In the late 1920’s Frank was in the Navy. He sent mama money to have her teeth pulled. She had pyorrhea which caused her misery. She never did get dentures though. Neither she or Roy. They ate without teeth for the last few years of their lives. Ida and I went to the dentist office with her. Dr. Loyd Shimmin puller her teeth. Mama was not very religious. Though I am sure she knew The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church. She did not know the Gospel very well. I am quite sure that she never read the scriptures. Well, she has been in the spirit world for more than eighteen years. I hope by now she does understand the Gospel better than she did. Written by Hattie L. Crouse Warby. 1980

Grandpa & Grandma Bateman

Contributor: timothygcross Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Grandpa & Grandma Bateman The first thing I can recollect about Grandpa and Grandma Bateman was at a ranch on Brush Creek near the Brush Creek Cave. The year must have been 1914 or 1915. It was during the warm part of the year, probably during July or August. We (mother, Sylvia, Elmer, Me, Ida, Hattie and baby brother Ray) went up to Brush Creek on a double bed wagon, pulled by grandpa’s big black team of spirited horses. Grandpa always had fat, sleek spirited horses to my recollection. When we went to bed after we got to the ranch, Elmer, Ida, Hattie, and I slept in the same bed, two at the head. (I think Elmer and I at the head and Ida and Hattie at the foot. I remember I liked for Ida to tickle the bottom of my feet. Grandpa Bateman always got up early. Every morning, he was up at 5 O’clock, rain, shine, summer or winter. He always started the fire in the kitchen stove which was always shiny black, usually made that way by grandma using stove black and a big black brush, then he would go out and take care of his horses, pigs, chickens, and other livestock. In the mean time grandma and all the older folks at the ranch would get up and start preparing breakfast, which usually consisted of, with a little variance, hot biscuits (sometimes pancakes), plenty of home churned butter, jam, jelly, eggs, potatoes, thick milk gravy, some kind of meat (salt side, deer, beef, etc.) and plenty of milk for everyone who liked milk. Always us kids drank milk. Most of the time in addition to all the food mentioned above we would always have some kind of mush. After breakfast the older folks cleaned off the table and washed up the dishes and swept the kitchen floor. Someone took the slop out to the pigs. It seems to me as I look back, that almost at once grandma and mother would start to get things going for dinner, this would be true at the ranch at any rate, when the sun was in its zenith, (straight up over head), Grandpa and the older men folks would come in for dinner. At one time when father was there (Father and Mother were not divorced, but I believe they were separated, as they had separated on a number of occasions, and I believe they had gone back together at this time) he and grandpa broke a horse. They would get a horse used to the saddle by continually putting on the saddle or harness, etc. there was a large pole corral in the center of which was a large snubbing post, about 12 or 18 inches in diameter sunk into the ground about three or four feet. The horse usually a two year old or thereabouts was tied up close to the snubbing post then grandpa and father would try and were usually successful after many and many tries, to put a saddle on the colt. Then a long lariat (rope) was placed on the colt’s neck. Grandpa would get off aways and father would untie the colt from the stubbing post and dart away. When the colt found out he was free then the fun usually started. The colt would try to buck the saddle off his back. He would flip around, run, kick and snort in every way to try to get that thing off his back. All the time grandpa was holding onto that rope, together with father they would inch their way up closer to the colt. They would talk soothingly to the colt all the time. Finally the colt was so tired that he would just stand and tremble, breathe terribly hard and seemed about ready to fall. After a few moments he would start all over again. Eventually grandpa and father would get up close enough to touch the colt – all the while talking and petting him. Finally after seemingly hours father was able to get up on the colt’s back and grandpa would take the rope off the clot’s neck. In the meantime, they had put a hack-a-moor or bridle on the colt and father had hold of the reins. There wasn’t much buck left in the colt by this time, so father didn’t get bucked off. I have forgotten how many horses they broke while we were there at this particular time. At any rate, this is the first time I remember grandpa Bateman. Grandma Bateman was a tiny person. She always had her hair coiled around on top of her head. She always wore a sparkling clean crisp house apron over her dress, which also was clean and neat, the hem of which was usually a few inches off the floor or just the bottoms of the shoes visible below the hem of her dress. Her shoes were always black, high tops, laced or buttoned and shiny. I remember her fixing milk pans and putting them in a dugout cellar in the side of a hill where spring water, cold and clear was always running through a trough just wide enough to hold the milk pans, so that at night when grandpa would bring the milk in, he would poor it into the pans. The milk would remain in the pans all night and in the mornings, grandma would skim the thick rich cream off the milk pans and put most of the cream into a large wooden churn, which, when full, would be churned into butter. The churn was round, something like a barrel with a shaft on which paddles were fastened and on one end a crank. Usually some of the older children or oldsters would turn the crank. When the butter was churned, however, we kids usually had some nice cool buttermilk to drink which was dee-licious. The next thing I remember about grandpa and grandma Bateman, was at their house when they lived by the old grist mill in Vernal (on the corner of what is now North Vernal Avenue and 3rd North Street. By the way this is where Raymond Delos was born. The older children and grownups were popping popcorn one evening when someone looked out the east window toward the old Rupple house. Within a few minutes the Rupple house was on fire and ultimately burned to the ground despite the heroic efforts of the Vernal City Volunteer Fire Department who tried to save the house. Grandma was always doing little things for her grandkids. I do not believe our family (mother’s children) were grandma’s favorites (if she ever had any favorites) but she most always had something for us like bread and honey or jam, etc. when we went there. I recall the smaller children always liked to go to grandma’s place. Grandpa wasn’t as tolerant with us kids as grandma. Oh, he was never mean to us, but he would talk more harsh and gruff, we thought, and wouldn’t give us things like grandma would, though grandpa was rather good hearted and he was rather witty as I remember, and he had quite a sense of humor. Grandpa always had, except for the last few years of his life, a fine team of horses. Many people said about him, “He thought more of his team than he did his family.” Grandpa did think a lot of his horses, which were always well fed, had slick, glossy coats and were very spirited. I remember well how grandpa would hitch up his team on weekdays and take grandma to the Vernal bank where she was the custodian and when she was finished, grandpa would go back to bring her home. Grandma held this position for years and was still working when she became ill and subsequently died in 1923 I recall when our brother Daniel was born 15 August 1915. We lived in a little flat house of logs on the south side of East Main Street, between what is now 4th and 5th East Streets. Grandpa and grandma lived across the street and a little west of us in a house belonging to Harmon Sowards and in about the same spot where the RH Hotel now stands. It was to grandma’s we kids hied when mother “took sick” and Daniel was born. Grandma had her hands full that day, but I don’t remember her getting angry with us. Maybe she did, however. Grandpa used his team and wagon to haul many of the bricks of which the Bank of Vernal is built. In the year of _____, the officers of the bank had the bricks shipped by parcel post wrapped separately and grandpa was hired by the Post Office in Vernal to haul the brick from Price to Vernal. The last time I saw Grandma Bateman was the latter part of July 1925 when I stayed all night with them so I wouldn’t have so far to go to get the stage for Duchesne, when I went there to stay with Cornie and Monty Hayes. Grandma made me a bed on the floor. A bed of fluffy feather ticks, quilts and blankets. I got up early with them and grandma fixed breakfast for grandpa, herself, and me. She kissed me goodbye. (I have always sorta cherished the fact that I was able to stay with my grandparents that time in Vernal and that grandma kissed me goodbye.) Grandma passed away while I was in the U.S. Navy in 1929. The last time I was with Grandpa Bateman was in Vernal in January, 1935. A lot of Mother’s children got together at Ed and Ella’s place for a family gathering . It was in honor of Grandpa Bateman. I remember he was so emotionally choked up that he couldn’t offer the blessing at the banquet in his honor. Grandpa Bateman passed away shortly after this and I recall he, too, kissed me goodbye before I left Vernal. I wonder if he and grandma might have had an idea, maybe, that it would be the last time they would ever see me. I don’t know; it is possible. I suppose. In 1902, grandpa, grandma and Aunt Myrtle (7 years old) went to the temple in Salt Lake City to be sealed for Time and Eternity. I can’t remember any of the details but I recall they all went to Salt Lake in the wagon which was pulled by the team of Grandpa Bateman. I also recall, the trip took about a week one way. As I look back over the past several (40 - 50) years and recall some of the events of my life which include grandpa and grandma, I find great admiration for them both. Grandpa was not a religious man, but grandma was very religious. Grandpa didn’t live many of the laws of the Gospel; he didn’t observe the Word of Wisdom and he rarely went to Church, but I recall many, many times that he would hook up his team and take grandma and others to Church and go get them when Church was out. As I recall also, grandpa always encouraged us kids to go to Sunday School and Primary, etc., though I don’t remember seeing him in the Chapel many times. One other event I must recall. I have forgotten what year it was, but grandpa took me to Brush Creek one time where he went to haul some cedar posts back to town, for someone who paid him for the job. We left Vernal sometime quite early one morning and went to Brush Creek Cave where we stayed overnight. I slept with grandpa in a bed covered with a tarpaulin. I remember how he cooked super. He stirred up some dough into a big round flat cake and put it into a big Dutch oven; he then buried the oven into the hot coals of the campfire and heaped hot coals over the top of the oven. I can’t remember how long it took to cook, but it seems it wasn’t long and when he took the cover off, the bread (I believe it was sourdough) was a beautiful brown and good. I have forgotten anything about the return trip from Brush Creek with grandpa. By Franklin D. Crouse

Grandfather & Grandmother Bateman

Contributor: timothygcross Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Grandfather & Grandmother Bateman As far back as I can remember Grandfather and Grandmother Bateman, was when they lived in a three room log house that was located mile north of the center of Vernal, by the old flour mill. They used to be the custodians of The Bank of Vernal. Grandfather had a gray team that he would drive to and from work. That is one of the most vivid memories I have of them together. Seeing them go home in the middle of the forenoon from work. They would get up around 4 O’clock in the morning and go to the bank and get the work done early in the morning. Once when Roy, mom and the family lived in what we called the Week’s house mile North and one mile east of town, mom, Ray, and I were walking to town. A fellow came along in a wagon coming from little Brush Creek. He was moving his family to town for the winter. About the time he was passing us one of his chickens got out (of a pen of some sort no doubt). He told us if we could catch it we could have it. I was the one who caught it. It was a red hen. We took it up to grandma Bateman’s. She had a flock of chickens so she let us put it with them. I don’t remember what happened to it, but I do remember grandma put some eggs under her the next spring and she hatched them out some chicks. I used to go and see them, occasionally. One time my brother, Elmer Packer, was overhauling his car at grandma’s and I was helping him. Eventually I went up to the stable where grandpa kept his horses and wagon. On the front end of the wagon was a “jocky Box” where he kept his tools, a wrench, etc. and axle grease. But instead of these items being in the jocky box, grandpa had his tobacco in it. At that time I used tobacco too so I took a sack of it. It was “Our Advertiser”. I went back to the house. Grandpa was with Elmer. I told them I had to go home. I guess grandpa suspected something was wrong. After a time, mom and I went back to grandma’s. Grandpa had been back to his wagon and discovered some of his tobacco was gone and he knew pretty well who had taken it. So he gave me a lecture on my not being a good boy. After he had scolded me for quite a while, grandma told him that he had scolded me enough, and for him to stop. I surely was relieved. I remember going to their house in the fall of the year. Grandma would be making different kinds of pickles and her house would smell so good. For a long time after she died whenever I would smell that pickle odor, I would think of grandma Bateman. She was a small woman and was always so clean. Her house was always so nice and clean, it always made me feel so good to go and see her. One time when I was a small boy I was at their place with mom and I wasn’t feeling very well. Grandma always had a well kept bed. At this time she had a straw tick, full of new straw, and inasmuch as I was sick, mom said “Maybe Grandma wouldn’t care if you laid on the foot of her bed.” So mom turned back the quilts and I layd down on Grandma’s bed. The only time I had that privilege. The day grandma died, Mom and I believe, Ray and I were at her home along with a lot of other people. I don’t believe I will ever forget Aunt Myrtle telling us that grandma was dead. I ran all the way home to be with the rest of the family. Grandpa lived quite a while after grandma died. He lived with mom and Roy for awhile. Before this, I don’t know where he lived. I was talking to Floyd Hayes about grandpa and he told me that grandpa went to Price to live for a short time. Aunt Myrtle went too. Floyd said when grandpa got as far as Helper one of the wheels on the wagon broke so he got a pole and fixed a sort of runner on the wagon and drove it into Price. Grandpa always traveled by team and wagon because he never owned a car. Think for a moment about traveling in a covered wagon drawn by horses and how long it would take to go to Price by wagon from Vernal and being all alone at that. When our family lived in the Week’s house, Elmer and grandpa went to Craig, Colorado to work in the hay. They went by team and wagon. Boy! What a ride! By Daniel E. Crouse

Bessie Evelyn Gray

Contributor: timothygcross Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Bessie Evelyn Gray On March 2nd 1914 Edward Paul Gray & Ella May Nott were married in Vernal, Uintah, Utah. Edward was just 20 years old and Ella was just 16 years old. They settled in Vernal where their first child, Bessie Evelyn Gray was born December 8th 1914. Their second child, Russell Edward Gray was born February 26th 1917. When Russell was about 15 months the family homesteaded on the flat between a town called Maeser and the coal mine that Edward operated with his father, George Gray. Edward built a little log house on the ground and cleared the sagebrush. The family had a garden. There was a little store at Maeser called Rudge’s Store. The family always stopped there when returning from Vernal to the mine. It was a country store with barrels of pickles, crackers, and candy jars with different kinds of candy. There were animal shaped hard candies in different colors. Some were shaped like horses and trees. The cracker and pickle barrels were open. You could sample for free with little picks available at the store. The barrels were about 18 inches across and normal height. The family traveled in a one seated buggy drawn by their horse, Dandy. Edward and Ella sat on the front seat. Russell and Bessie sat with their backs against a board that was at the front of the buggy with their backs to the horse and facing their parents. Bessie remembered the crunch of the snow as the buggy wheels went around. A lot of the time Ella would sing to the children on the way home. She sang songs she had sung as a little girl. Bessie remembered such songs as: “After the Ball”, “Two little girls in Blue” and some songs about soldiers. One of those military songs was about a soldier in love with two: one of those was his mother and the other with eyes of blue. Bessie remembered that her father always carried the children into the house when they got home. At this time Bessie was a little girl about 4 or 5. Elda was a little baby & Russell would have been one or two years old. In the summer the kids would wander all over the foothills in the cedars. Most of the time they were barefoot by choice. Under the cedar trees they would find little round places – like an inverted funnel. They would catch ants and drop them at down the funnel. A spider would pop out of the trap door at the base and eat the ant. They would sit for hours dropping ants for the spider. Bessie remembered one time when she was about seven and Russell was five. Her mother’s half-brothers and sisters were with them. This includes Ray about 8, Hattie about 10, Ida about 12, & Dan about 6. They were the children of Martha and Docerus Crouse. They decided to walk to the watering hole. Bessie remembered it as being huge. They followed the horses. The trails were windy. Ray would be the Captain and tell the rest of the children what to do. He was “the Boss”. They pretended to stop and “cook dinner”. One particular day they followed the horses across and up the other side of the ravine then up onto an open flat. When they got to the watering hole they saw great big tracks all around the watering hole. To quote Bessie “Us dumb kids followed those cat tracks till we got to the rocks and couldn’t see them anymore. We wandered around and we eventually went home. We had been gone a long time and mom was worried about us. By the time we got home, daddy had taken the horses to the watering hole and they had refused to drink because they could smell the cat. We still had not returned home by the time dad had returned home. They were pretty worried about us. They had no idea where we had gone. So we all go a good lecture when dad got back from looking for us.” Another memory: “It was Easter. I was four. It was before Elda was born. Momma had made me a pretty blue dress with white ric-rac around the sleeves. Russell had pin stripe overalls and a little white shirt. It was a beautiful morning. Daddy had been down to the corral feeding the horses. He came back excitedly. Daddy and mamma carried us quietly down to the corral. They set us on the rail fence. Daddy said “now you watch. Right down there is a little hole. Watch what comes out of it.” We were so quiet and soon the mother rabbit hopped out of the hole and looked all around. Then four little white rabbits came out behind her. Daddy caught some and let us hold them. They were soft and cute.” At the coal mine, the coal was put into a bin. In the bin, the screens separated the coal by size. Nut coal was small coal about the size of two marsh mellows together. This coal was used in the kitchen stove. Fine coal was called slack. The horse was hooked up to the scoop shovel. It would pickup up slack and dump it over the edge of “old gassy”. This was a place where coal had been dumped for years. It had started combustion years ago and smoke came out of it all the time. We would run through that slack up to out crotches. At the coal mine Ella cooked for up to 20 men three times a day. The coal mine had entries off both sides of the track down the main slope. Daddy would go to work in the morning. Russell and I would take his lunch to him. We would go down into the mine and listen for his pick. The coal was a solid rock. They would pick **** out with their picks. Then they would drill a hole big enough for a stick of dynamite with this machine that sat on a tripod. They turned it with a handle. They put the dynamite in there with a cap on it and a big long fuse. Then they refilled the hole with ****. Then it would blow a big wall of coal down into the room. Each car that held the coal held 1,000 pounds. A donkey pulled the car from the main entry to the room where they had blasted the coal. They would unhitch the donkey and bring him to the other end of the car. Up on the outside of the coal mine they had a whim - a large big round cable holder. The cable went out from the center hole. A big horse was hooked to it. When the coal was loaded down in the mine, they would guide the car to the main entry in the mine; then hook the cable that was attached to the outside. It had a bell on it. When they rang the bell, Russell and I would unhitch the horse from the hitching post and we would start the horse going in circles to pull the cable around the drum. When the car got up on the flat where it wouldn’t roll back in, we’d stop the horse. There would be someone to help us now. They would unhitch the horse from the whim. The car would be pushed out on a track to the edge of the coal bin where it would dump its’ load. Then the empty car would be pushed back to the mouth of the mine: the cable hooked to other end of the car and the brake released on the whim. The whim would go around and around letting the car go back into the mine. A lot of times mamma would come up and unhook the horse. Uncle Elmer was there a lot to help momma in the kitchen or with the horse. Us kids would play with the forge. One time daddy was sharpening picks. Russell and I were playing in the slack pile near the coal bin. I remember daddy running down to the house screaming with his overalls on fire. He had run the red hot pick through his thigh- the inside fleshy part of his leg. Mamma got the buggy hooked up and took daddy to town. She dropped us off at grandma’s. Every day she had to take a wad of gauze, soak it in rubbing alcohol and put it through the wound. My mamma made long black sateen bloomers. We always wore black stockings with a garter belt to hold up our stockings. In the summer we went barefoot. On my seventh birthday mamma told me to watch Russell and Elda and keep them clean while she got ready to go to town. When we went to town we wore white panties and white petticoats with lace on the bottom. Mother came out of the house ready to gather us up. Then she saw what looked like Russell and Elda sitting in the slack. We had an old sow and they were sitting on the sow. We used to ride this old sow. She was always pink and clean; but mamma thought they were in the slack. I got the razor strap. That was just before we moved to town so I could start school. In the spring of 1919 the family moved back to Vernal. On May 31st 1919 their third child, Elda May was born. Bessie remembered the day Elda was born: “ It was the 31st of May. The wind was blowing. Rose Easton was there to help mamma. She had scrubbed the floors. She told them to keep us outside. Ida and Frank Crouse took the throw rugs and hung them around the buggy to make a playhouse under the buggy. Pretty soon, we saw Dr. Christy come. After he left Rose came out and called us to see what the Dr. had brought for mamma. There was Elda – tiny with beautiful black hair. Aunt Rose gave us baths, put our nightgowns on and put us to bed. “ As part of her Treasures of Truth Book, Bessie wrote about school memories. Bessie started first grade in the fall of 1922. She was seven years old. Her recollections about first grade are as follows: “Ella Mc Kee was my first grade teacher, and I received a good foundation for my future school work under her. When the year was about half over Miss Mc Kee thought that I could handle the second grade along with the first, so I went to Mrs. Bartlet’s room, the second grade in the morning and the first grade in the afternoon. There are two stories that stand out in my memory, so vivid that I seem to see the pictures when I think of them. In the first reader “The Three Goats” in the second reader “Hindu Sykes and the Quail”. This extra work was too much for my nervous system and I had to discontinue the second grade. By the time school was out I was so nervous that as soon as could be arranged mother and daddy sacrificed all our furnishings and took me to California for my health.” In June 1923 Edward and Ella sold their home in Vernal. They had to take their first child, Bessie to a lower climate because Bessie had Rheumatic fever. The family went from Vernal to Provo, Utah by stage. The stage was a big car. They went to San Bernardino, California. While in San Bernardino Edward Gray and Ella’s half brother Elmer Packer got as job loading lumber on railroad cars. There was a fire in the lumberyard and Edward and Elmer were wrapped in wet blankets with hoses standing on top of the lumber to keep it from burning. Ella and the family got up on the roof and watched the fire. Another experience happened while in San Bernardino. Six weeks after arriving an earthquake shook the house. Elmer was in the pantry eating bread and honey. He came out with honey all over himself. The honey jar spilled on him during the earthquake. Elmer Packer and his wife Esther were married while in San Bernardino. Shortly after this event the family packed up and moved to Oakland. Edward built rails on the car. The family put their clothes under the seats and packed the groceries on the running boards. On the way the family stopped and played on the beach. They stayed with George and Priscilla Gray, Edward’s parents. From Oakland the family moved to El Cerito, California. They lived in a little two room house on a hill across from San Francisco. On a clear day they could see a Big Ben Clock. While there the children had Mumps and Red Measles. Russell and Elda had Chicken Pox and Diptheria. Ella and Edward had their hands full with three sick children. Between September 1923 and June 1924 the children received six week of school. In the Fall of 1923 Bessie entered Second grade in El Cerito California. Again quoting from the writings of Bessie about the Second Grade: “School in El Cerito, California started in August and I was not able to start until January 1924. Six weeks was all that I went in the second grade, but I passed from ‘C’ section to ‘A’ in the low second inside a week. Miss Putnam was my teacher, In the rest of the time that I attended school I passed to the high second, through to the ‘A’ section and was promoted to the third grade in June.” My friends in school were Katie and Daisy Bright. Katie was a grade or two ahead of me but she was a pal anyway. There was a little boy named Earl who used to push me in the swing and one day he gave me a little blue glass lamb which I kept for years.” The family moved back to Vernal, Utah in the summer of 1924. It was a long hard trip. One day they had eleven flat tires. At Winnemucca, Nevada they had to put new brakes on the car. At Elko, they saw monkeys. None of the family had ever seen monkeys before. In the fall of 1924 Bessie enrolled in the Third Grade. They were back in Vernal, Utah by this time. “Margaret Merkley was a good teacher even though she and I had some very heated arguments because I would not take abuse. I always managed to give just a little more that I received. Marlene Paxton was my Ideal, my very first ideal”. In the fall of 1925 Bessie enrolled in the fourth grade. “Lela Preece was a small person. I will always remember how little she looked sitting behind her desk. One day Preppe Rich was late, when she came in Miss Preece said “Preppa, why are you late this morning?” and Preppe answered “Papa started to bring me to school, and when he got to town he was called on a confinement case, he didn’t have time to bring me to school and I wouldn’t walk to school, so I went with him, and it is a boy.” I wondered and wondered what a confinement case was and how could it be a boy. I couldn’t figure it all out. I don’t remember when I did find out about it. Perhaps during the time Bessie was trying to figure out what a confinement case was her mother gave birth to another brother. Irvin Julian Gray was born November 23th 1926, He did not live very long but died on November 26rd 1926. He died of pneumonia. Before that time however Bessie entered the sixth grade. The sixth grade was the year 1927 – 1928. This is what she had to say about the sixth grade: “A new school, strange teachers and inquisitive students. That is what I found in starting to school in Measer, Utah. We were living at the coal mine and mother brought us to school in the morning and came after us at night. My teacher was Pearl Shaffer. Neldon Richens my pet peeve and Elda Mickle, Elizabeth Hall, and Mary Jones my friends. The work that I accomplished was the learning of the Gettysburg Address, and when I started to school at Central I was the only one prepared on the day that it was due. Mary Manker and I had quite a time that winter, along with Audrey Millicam, Eddytha Kay and Madge Toles. Lorna Cook was my best friend that year. The history written by Bessie does not say, but she must have entered the seventh grade in Measer, probably the year was 1928 - 1929, also because some of the friends listed are the same as listed in the sixth grade. Not much, however is said by Bessie about this year. The list is as follows: Teachers: Subjects; O. Norman Olson Geography C.P. Lewis Civics and Arithmetic Gilbert Childs English and Glee Our gang consisted of the Following; Bessie Gray Lewis Adams Lorna Cook Lawrence Cooper Audrey Oaks Manfred Rasmessen Audrey Millican Richard Murry Della May Nelson Shirley Nelson Her seventh grade work listed as a History of Utah. One interesting statistic noted population in 1920 as 499,000. The state has grown a bit since that time. The family must have been in Vernal during the summer of 1928 up through August at least as her brother, George R. was born August 29th at Vernal. There are no years listed for the eighth, ninth, or tenth grade. In notes about the junior year she says that was 1934-34. She would have been 20 when starting that year and 21 when finishing it. It is believed that the rest of her schooling was at Vernal. For the eighth grade she lists the following: “ Le Roy Richens Science Arithmetic N.G. Sowards English Literature Deen Benion Cooking Sewing Gilbert Childs Glee One day Kenneth Ayrock talked back to Mr. Sowards. Mr. Sowards told Ken to take off his belt and give it to him, then he Kenneth to turn around; he whipped Kenneth with his own belt but Ken didn’t say a word.” It must have been about this year that the following incident written by Bessie occurred: “In 1930 when George was just 16 months old he burned his hand on the stove and it developed into blood poisoning. He started having convulsions. A neighbor Mrs. Will Mott was with Ella when this happened. Russell was sent to get the elders. While he was gone George was put in a hot mustard bath. Russell got Mr. Gurr and Mr. Whitbeck to come and administer to George, Just as they got there George started another round of convulsions. George was administered to and settled down to a peaceful sleep. He recovered rapidly. That was and still is a Great Testimony to the family on the power of the healing by the laying on of hands.” For the ninth grade. Calvin Mankel Biology Marva Hodson Gym Ellis Wilcox Algebra Morril De Morris English Anthon s. Cannon Seminary Vera Calder Foods A For the tenth grade. Ruth Hart Lundell English Reed Morril Ancient Living Don L. Mc Conkie Accounting A Lloyd Winn Glee Margaret Cuttler Gym Anthon S. Cannon Seminary My best work in the Tenth grade. My dramatic Art Journal with A Reading Drawn out as to use of gesture and voice. Bessie says the following about her Junior year: “When I was a junior, 1934-35, I became very discouraged. I also had a very bad case of inferiority complex. Mr. Lundell talked to me along time. He told me the disadvantage of letting this malady get the best of me; he explained the necessity of, at least, a high school education. I am glad that I had sense enough to listen to him and continue on with my schooling, for I have realized the advantage of agreeability and social associations. My best work in my junior year. A modern home with house plans drawn to scale, with pictures of each room.” The subjects and teachers listed are as follows: Charles H. Colton English Harold M. Lundell Psysiology Marie Singleton Shorthand Don L. Mc Conkie Accounting Lloyd Winn Glee Ethel Larson Home making On December 22nd 1934 Berle Gene Gray was born in Vernal. He was the sixth child to join the family of Edward and Ella Gray. Finally the year Bessie had worked so long and hard for. Her Senior Year of High School. For her subjects and teachers she listed the following: Beth Gaily Clothing B Isabel Dillman English D Helen Calder Foods B Isabel Dillman Journalism Elwood A. Gee Sociology and Economics “I have enjoyed sewing this year, when I sew I feel I have a teacher that cares whether I make a successful article or not. I have accomplished much that I will be able to use in my chosen field of work. At present we are learning to draft patterns for ourselves. I am always willing to learn something new, that is, if it is beneficial. If I could take English construction and diagramming also every other phrase of English; in a class that really wanted to earn, and really wanted to accomplish something instead of get out of so much work; under Isabel (Dillman) I am sure that I would be able to say that I had successfully finished an English class. I have enjoyed English and Journalism very much this year so far. In English I have learned to appreciate good literature, including plays. Also the value of correct English vocabulary. Provo was the scene of two hilarious days when the Journalism Convention was in session. Everyone enjoyed his liberty to he fullest. There was a horrible showing of “Vernalites” at Hotel Roberts, but so far there has been no bad reports reach Mr. Lundells ears. Journalism Club is the first to be organized in Uintah high school. We held a pledge one night between 12 and 1 o’ clock at night. Pie ala mode and hot chocolate was enjoyed after the pledge. Sociology and Economics has been very interesting as well as beneficial in the way of combating social problems and helping others. We have had one test, our choice of questions, and given two reports, one of our choice and one out of the book. I am in hopes that the next semester passes as swiftly and easily as the first one has. Mr. Gee is very agreeable and easy to get along with. It is my wish that married life will not be anything but joy and contentment. My Future My future does not belong to me alone. It is connected with those I love, those with whom I associate and work. I know not what the next few years hold for me. I can expect much work, some study, a little sorrow and a lot of happiness and joy. At present there is not a lot of light on my future. There are much work, a lot of responsibility and many financial cares to keep me from enjoying, to the fullest my life. My life is yet to come so I am not going to plan on anything definite for that would only bring disappointment and disillusions. I have compiled this book of school day memories to add to my Treasures of Truth Book. My years of school have been hard. I have worked hard and never been treated like anything but a two year old until this year. It hasn’t been easy to go on to school when others my age are my teachers, but I am not going to school to please anyone but myself and for my own satisfaction of knowing that what I have learned can not be taken from me. Mr. Noble has greatly influenced my life. When I was a sophomore I became discouraged in my work in Dramatic Art. My Journal was not as good as anyone’s, but when I stood up on the stage to give my readings certain members of the class laughed at me and made fun of me. I refused to give a lesson and was told to report to Mr. Noble. When he heard my story he said “Remember Bessie that it is not a sign of refinement of educated people to make light of others. If you can go on and do your work in spite of their jeering you will be the victor.” Mr. Noble was principal during my freshman and sophomore years in High School and has always been willing to encourage and help me over the rough spots in my school work. At present Mr. Noble is truly living up to his name and serving as Superintendent of Uintah County Schools. On January 24th 1937 another son was born. Sadly he only lived a short time. He died the same day he was born and was not named. Edward & Ella & family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah in November of 1942 during thanksgiving vacation. The home they eventually moved to and purchased was located at 566 South 9th East . Arthur Ancil Masters met Bessie Gray in Vernal where she worked at a Ben Franklin store and they were married 15 Jun 1940 at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Arthur was a working in Salt Lake City as a cook until 1443 when the family which consisted of two boys, Ed born 29 Mar 1941 and Stan born 24 May 1942. Decided to take a trip to visit their families. On September 30th 1942 the family took a trip on a Burlington Bus to Newton, Iowa where Art’s Mother and other family members lived. The family came back by way of Denver, Colorado and Vernal, Utah. Where Bessie’s Grandmother Martha Vilate Kempton lived. On April 30, 1943 the family moved to Todd Park at Tooele, Utah where Art had a restaurant at the Military Base there. The family lived in a double trailer house and were the first family to move into the housing project. A daughter, Margie born 7 Oct 1944 was born at Todd Park while the family was at Tooele. The family moved back to Salt Lake City in January of 1945. The family lived in three different places. By May of 1945 the family moved right beside Edward and Ella Gray, Bessie’s parents where they stayed until February 14th 1946. On 18 Oct 1945 another daughter, Ruth was born. On December 12th 1946 the family now consisting of six rode the train from Salt Lake City to Denver. It was an all night ride. The family visited the Capital in Denver then rode the Rock Island Rocket from Denver to Newton, Iowa. After Christmas the family rode the train back to Salt Lake City. Between 1940 and 1948 Arthur opened two different restaurants in Salt Lake. On July 28th 1948 the family moved to Evanston, Wyoming. In January 1949 the family moved back to Salt Lake City, Utah. In August 1949 the family started to purchase a home in Granger, Utah - eleven miles west of Salt Lake. In July of 1950 the family moved to Wendover, Utah where Art opened a restaurant. On September 7th 1951 the family moved to Salem, Oregon. The family arrived in Salem, Oregon on September 9th 1951 by Grayhound Bus at about 9:30 P. M. They stayed at the Grand Hotel and ate at the Cupboard Café for week while looking for a home to purchase. A home was finally found and purchased at 4175 Weathers Street N. E. in Salem on September 13th. While living on Weathers Street two boys were born into the family. Robert Ancil was born May 24th 1952 on his brother, Stan’s 10th birthday. Christopher Neil was born Jun 15th 1953 on his parent’s 13th wedding Anniversary. In August of 1954 the family sold that home and moved to 2820 Brown Road in Salem. Art was working in Albany, Oregon at the Red Hat Café. He commuted daily to and from Albany. A distance of about 26 miles. In the summer of 1960 the family moved to Rufus, Oregon where Arthur opened up another restaurant. Ed and Stan did not move with the family. They stayed in Salem. The restaurant in Rufus did not work out and the family moved to Arlington, Oregon where Arthur worked at another restaurant for a time before opening another restaurant in Arlington. While in Arlington Margie and Ruth met and married their husbands. Stan met and married his wife, Pat. Ed came home for Christmas in 1962 and met his future wife, Lois Logan, on a blind date. Ed baptized Lois on 23 Mar 1963. Ed and Lois were married 25 May 1964 in the Salt Lake Temple. In 1965 Art, Bessie, Bob & Chris moved back to Salem, Oregon where Ed and Lois were living. Arthur continued to work in Restaurants until he finally retired in about 1972. After the kids had all left it was just Art & Bessie. They had difficulty adjusting to life together and on August 27th 1976 Bessie and Art decided they needed to live apart. Bessie moved to Salt Lake City on September 3rd 1976 to live with her sister, Elda Inman for a time. By January 1st of 1977 she was back in Salem, Oregon for the Wedding of Chris and Vickie. She and Art tried to get back together for a time, but Bessie shortly got an apartment in Salem where she stayed until after October of 1980 when she went to College Place to stay with Ruth and Larry. She was with Ruth and Larry and family until after Art died February 9th 1981. She left Ruth and Larry in College Place and Flew into Spokane, Washington to stay with Stan and Pat on July 15th 1981. Bessie stayed in Spokane in Stan and Pat’s home for a time then finally got an apartment in Spokane. On October 31st 1982 she arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah. She stayed at her sister Elda’s home for a time until she found a nice apartment at the Capital Villa on 6th north near 3rd West. She stayed in Salt Lake City at Capital Villa until sometime after August 1991 or early 1992 when she moved back to Salem, Oregon. She lived in an apartment in Salem until 1994 when she moved to Chris & Vickie’s home. She stayed with them about one year. She then moved back to Salt lake City to live with her sister, Elda. She stayed a short time until she could get back into the Capitol Villa. She was there for about two years when she had a stroke sometime in 1996. She spent some time in the hospital and in rehabilitation before going back to Capital Villa where she stayed another six months. She was unable to live alone so Elda took her into her home where she stayed until the fall of 1998. Finally it was time for her to move into a nursing home. Her brother, George and sister, Elda found a good one Crossroads Rehabilitation Center located at 575 East 10970 South in Sandy, Utah. She was there until her death May 9th 2000. Bessie had many adversities in her life. She did not react to them well. She had a hard time adjusting to changing circumstances. It seemed that through much of her life she was always searching for happiness. She never found it for long. It was always somewhere else. Her unhappiness with life made it difficult for those who loved her. After she divorced Arthur she lived with three of her children in Washington State and in Salem, Oregon. She lived with her sister, Elda, two or three times. She had her own apartments in Salem, Spokane, and Salt Lake City. It seemed happiness was not to be found in this portion of her existence. It is hoped she has finally found happiness in the Spirit World with her family that has gone on before. Information for this biography from the following sources: A history dictated to Lois Masters by Bessie A history written by Bessie for her Treasures of Truth Book Information from George Gray, Bessie’s Brother. A biography of Ed Masters written when in 7th Grade with the help of his mother. Compiled by Ed Masters

Life timeline of Daniel Elium Crouse

Daniel Elium Crouse was born on 15 Aug 1915
Daniel Elium Crouse was 5 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 24 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 26 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 42 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 49 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 63 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 66 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Daniel Elium Crouse was 75 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Daniel Elium Crouse died on 18 Jun 2005 at the age of 89
Grave record for Daniel Elium Crouse (15 Aug 1915 - 18 Jun 2005), BillionGraves Record 82833 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States