Dean Jones Francom

6 Dec 1913 - 19 Nov 2001

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Dean Jones Francom

6 Dec 1913 - 19 Nov 2001
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Dean Jones Francom, age 87 of Payson, passed away Monday, Nov. 19, 2001 at the home of his son and daughter-in-law in Sandy where he has been living for the past three years. He was born December 6, 1913 in Payson, Utah, a son of George Arthur and Harriet Viola Jones Francom. He married Bernice Lund
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Dean Jones Francom
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Dean Jones Francom

Married: 30 Jun 1936

Payson City Cemetery

901 E 400 N
Payson, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description


Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about DEAN JONES...

We found more records about Dean Jones Francom.


Relationships on the headstone

  • BERNICE Lundell Francom
    Buried here
    7 Aug 1918 - 26 Nov 2000
  • Marcia FRANCOM
    Others not buried here
  • Kathleen FRANCOM
    Others not buried here
  • Waldon FRANCOM
    Others not buried here
  • Paula FRANCOM
    Others not buried here
  • Allan FRANCOM
    Others not buried here

Relationships added by users


Grave Site of DEAN JONES


Dean Jones Francom is buried in the Payson City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Dean Jones Francom

Contributor: Kristenanderson Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Dean Jones Francom, age 87 of Payson, passed away Monday, Nov. 19, 2001 at the home of his son and daughter-in-law in Sandy where he has been living for the past three years. He was born December 6, 1913 in Payson, Utah, a son of George Arthur and Harriet Viola Jones Francom. He married Bernice Lundell, June 30, 1936 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. She preceded him in death November 26, 2000. Dean served in the US Navy during World War II and was involved in the Philippines and Borneo invasions. He was a member of the American Legion for many years. He retired from Geneva Steel. He and his wife were volunteers with the Life Line program and installed emergency response systems in the homes of families with special needs. He and his wife were recognized as "Outstanding Citizens of Payson" in 1988. He was always helping family and friends. He was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served in many capacities including: Elders Quorum President, High Priest Group Leader, Bishopric, and sang in the ward choir. He and his wife served as Temple Ordinance Workers in the Provo Temple and after she passed away he served in the Jordan River Temple. Survivors include: three daughters and two sons: Marcia (Gary) Braithwaite, Orem; Kathleen Morgan, Lehi; Waldon D. (Linda) Francom, Paula Barney, all of Sandy; Allan C. Francom, Anderson, Indiana; 20 grandchildren; 37 great-grand-children; one great-great-grand-daughter; two brothers and three sisters, George A. Francom, Sandy; Dale Francom, (his twin) Deon Rydalch, Thella Reynolds, and Ruth Nelson, all of Murray. He was preceded in death by a son-in-law, Larry Morgan; a grandson; three great-grandchildren; and a sister, Aleen Francom. Funeral services will be Saturday, November 24, 2001, 1 p.m., in the Payson Park Ward Chapel, 110 South 300 West. Friends may call at the Walker Mortuary, 587 South 100 West, Payson, Friday, 6-8 p.m., or at the church Saturday, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Burial will be in the Payson City Cemetery.

LIFE HISTORY OF Dean Jones Francom

Contributor: Kristenanderson Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

I, Dean Jones Francom was born on Saturday, December 6, 1913 in Payson, Utah in the home of my parents at 290 North 600 East. I was a twin. My twin sister is Deon. She was born first. I, being a polite gentleman, arrived about an hour later. Our parents said that the twins were so small, that they used shoe boxes for cribs. The doctor estimated that we weighed about three pounds each. At times, we had to be held up against the light to be sure we were still breathing. I understand it was quite a chore to keep us warm, next to the kitchen range in our little shoe box beds. We feel very fortunate and blessed to have lived under those circumstances. Truly the Lord had a work for us to do here on earth to have allowed us to live when we had such a serious and unusual start in this life. We had an older sister, Thella. It was a very happy day for my parents George Arthur Francom, Sr., and Harriet Viola Jones Francom. My father worked at Chase Lumber Company at the time we were born. The first thing I can remember is standing on tip toe and reaching up to pull myself up high enough to see what was on the kitchen table. I can remember my uncle Arthur Jones coming home from World War I. I remember that he used to come and play with us kids. Sometimes dad didn't like that very much. About 1915 or 1916, my father bought a farm. Our home in Payson was situated on the northwest section of a quarter of the block. We had a row of Lombardy Poplar trees which lined the front of our lot. There was a big barn out back of the house on the east side. The barn had a hay loft in it with a canopy on top where pigeons roosted. We had quite a time climbing up there to catch the pigeons. We had about a dozen cows to milk and also two big black horses named Collie and Fan. We always had some pigs and chickens. We raised a good sized garden where we grew most of all the things needed for food. We had an orchard of about a dozen trees: apples, plums, pears, cherry, English walnut, and a big Christmas tree next to the house. There was a granary between the house and the barn. Our house was one of the few in town that was modern at the time. We had a good fence around our property to keep out stray animals. Father used to go to the canyon every fall and haul logs home for fuel for the winter. When I got old enough, he would take me along. I learned how to use an ax. I learned to trim the trees to haul home, and then coop the wood for the stoves. We had two stoves. One in the kitchen for cooking and heating water and another heater in the living room. There were two wards in Payson at that time, the First and the Second wards. When I was young, we went to the First Ward which was on the east side of Main street. I remember when I was baptized in the font in our church. I also remember when they poured the cement to pave the highway going east out of Payson. I can remember going to grandmother Court's house. She lived on Center Street and 400 East. She raised a vegetable garden to make her living. She had a large garden and raised good produce. She also had a sweet pit apricot tree and would bring apricot pits for us to crack and eat. We would sit on the cement bridge in front of our home and have a good time cracking and eating the pits. They were sure good. On special occasions, mother would make ice cream. That was a real treat for all of us. Sunday was a special day when we would all go to church. I especially liked Fast Sunday when people would bear their testimonies. Some people couldn't speak English very well so their testimonies were in their native language. When I got old enough, I was ordained a Deacon and passed the sacrament and gathered fast offerings. We had a little red wagon that I would take around to pick up the offerings. People mostly paid in produce such as potatoes, wheat, vegetables, eggs, bottled fruit, bread, butter and sometimes, a little money. It was a very special thing to be able to do this. When I was made a teacher, I had the privilege of going with my dad and another man to home teach. I loved to hear them discuss the gospel and then to kneel down and pray with the families. At the age of 16, I was ordained a Priest and could administer to the Sacrament. I loved to do this. I could also baptize people. My dad and mother were called on a Stake Mission. Sometimes, they were quite late getting home to milk the cows and do chores so I helped with them. One night, I was hurrying to get the chores done, and put some hay in the manger in the barn where we milked the cows. We would tie a rope around the neck of the cow to keep them in the right places so they could be milked. As I was tying the rope around one of the cows neck, she reached for a mouthful of hay and caught her horn in my top lip and tore it all the way up to my nose. I was bleeding badly and I had to go to Dr. Curtis to get it sewed up. My father was a good farmer and a very hard worker. We would haul all of our hay from the farm to our home and stack it in the yard. When we would arrive with a load of hay, mother would bring out a pitcher of lemonade for us to drink. That was a real treat. About this time, dad bought a pony for us to ride and we sure enjoyed that. I loved my mother and dad very much. I was one of seven children. Thella was the oldest, then Deon, Dean, Aleen, George Arthur Jr., Dale and Ruth was the baby. They all are alive and in good health at this writing which is 1978. Saturday night dances were the popular thing to do when I was of dating age. During the winter, there was a dance hall in Payson and one in Spanish Fork. The summer was the most fun though because there were three open air dance halls. One in Spring Lake, one in Salem and one in Benjamin. Admission to the dances was only fifty cents and ladies were admitted free. So we didn't really have to go as dates. That meant there were plenty of partners to choose from. I went to the one in Benjamin quite frequently. There I met a really nice girl and fell in love with her. Bernice Lundell, from Benjamin, was the girl I fell in love with and we were married several months later, June 30, 1936, in the Salt Lake Temple. At that time, I was working at night in a service station in Payson and also hiring out to help men in their fields harvesting their crops. We didn't make much money and had to work hard to make a living. We then moved to Benjamin for about four hears where I worked for my father-in-law, Carl F. Lundell and also some other farmers. While we were living there, we had our first child. A beautiful little girl we named Marcia. She was born April 4, 1938. We were very happy! What joy to have a beautiful little child. We thought our life was complete. But on December 15, 1941, to our joy, we had another little girl that we named Kathleen. They were the two prettiest little girls any parent could imagine. What happiness! I was called to be secretary of the Elders Quorum for about 2 1/2 years while living in Benjamin. We moved back to Payson and I went to work for the Utah Poultry Association. It was here in Payson that we found more joy because our first son was born on March 28, 1943. We named him Waldon Dean. I worked hard to make a living for my precious family. During this time, World War II broke out. I left the poultry and went to work at Ironton while Geneva Steel was being built. These were considered more important jobs for the good of the country. When Geneva Steel opened, I worked there for a short time before I was drafted into the military service. This was the end of 1943. Here I went into the Navy and was sent to Farragut, Idaho for "boot" training. Soon, I was sent to San Francisco and then over to the South Pacific. I was stationed aboard the USS Achilles and was in charge of the laundry as a Ship Serviceman Third Class. I served on this ship until the 4th of December 1945. While on ship we were attacked by a suicide plane from the Japanese army which injured and killed many of the men on board our ship. Our Navy crushed two enemy fleets at once and received their surrender only four months apart. Having done this, we were able to set our ground armies on the beach heads of final victory. Our ship received a commendation from the Secretary of the Navy for this action. Many experiences are not pleasant and I do not like to recall or repeat them. I was in the invasion of the Philippines, Borneo and went several other places in the Pacific. When the war ended, I was happy to be able to return to the United States and my home. I remember coming back under the Golden Gate Bridge on Thanksgiving Day. For that I was really thankful. It was so good to be back home again. My little family had grown up so much while I was away. How I had missed them and what happiness to be back with my loved ones. I worked as a mechanic for about a year and then went back to Geneva Steel. I worked there for another 29 years and then retired. After working for so many years, I decided it was time to retire and do a little traveling and see the world. We build our home in Payson at 257 South 300 West where we have lived ever since. Our third daughter, Paula was born there on March 11, 1951. Then another son, Alan Carl was corn August 30, 1955. That made our family complete and happy. While our children were still at home we were able to enjoy several trips to areas close to home. We enjoyed a trip to Zion’s Canyon and camping for a few days. It was really enjoyable. We also made a trip to Bryce Canyon. Later we went to Grand Canyon and then on to Arizona where some of our relatives lived. Arizona was enjoyable, but completely different from Utah surroundings. The desert was so different, but enjoyable. The children enjoyed exploring the desert and rock hunting. One of our most enjoyable trips was to Hawaii. We went with a tour group and stayed about a week. It was 1979 and was one of our most enjoyable trips. Just after Christmas in 1983 we joined with a group to go to the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. Seeing the beautiful floral floats which we had only seen on television was a real treat. We then went on a Fall Foliage Tour which was "Autumn in Canada and New England". We visited Washington DC, Mt. Vernon, Washington Temple, Independence Square, New York City, Plymouth Rock, a tour of Boston, Quebec City, the Maple Groves, a boat cruise around 1000 Island. Then on to Niagara Falls, and Amish Country in Pennsylvania, Gettysburg and many more interesting places before heading home again. It was all enjoyable and interesting. We saw so many historical places. But there is no place like home. It was good to be back. I was ordained an Elder on April 28, 1935 when I was twenty one. Later I was called to be a Seventy, on November 19, 1974. Two days later, I was called to meet with the Stake Presidency and they asked me to serve as a counselor in the Bishopric with Var Rosenbaum. I was ordained a High Priest on January 26, 1956. I started as counselor with Bishop Rosenbaum on November 24, 1974. I really enjoyed that calling. I had served as second counselor and then first counselor in the Elders Quorum previously. When the wards were divided, I was called to be High Priest group leader in the 17th Ward. I was set apart on January 4, 1981. The ward boundaries were changed again and we were in the Park Ward where I became secretary to the High Priest group on May 15, 1983. I served in that calling until I was released because of my health in May of 1990. The year 1990 was one that made a drastic change in my life. On March 6, 1990, I had a massive stroke which paralyzed me completely on my right side. My son Waldon gave me a blessing and promised me that I would live and recover. I spent nine days in the hospital in Payson and then was moved to Utah Valley Hospital to the Rehabilitation Unit where I spent another 45 days. I was there given therapy to help me become more independent. I came home to a completely different life than I had been used to. I am still working hard to regain the use of my leg, foot and arm. It is the hardest work I have ever had to do in my life. Hopefully, I will regain my health and strength. I can now walk some with a "quad cane" and am beginning to get back some strength and movement in my hand and arm. It is almost unbelievable how quickly something can happen that can change ones life so drastically and completely. Without the help of my good wife and my faith in my Heavenly Father, I doubt I could do it. My constant prayer is that I may once again be well and be able to do the things I used to do so easily. I served in the Provo Temple as an ordinance worker for five years from June 11, 1976 until April 30, 1981, when I had to take a leave for some surgery. I was called to serve as a veil worker for the summer from April until September in 1989. Dean lived in Sandy with Waldon and Linda for about three years. He enjoyed the time spent there and appreciated their kindness. Dean passed away on November 19, 2001, at the age of 87, after a bout with esophegeal cancer. He was buried on November 24, 2001 at the Payson City Cemetery.

Life timeline of Dean Jones Francom

Dean Jones Francom was born on 6 Dec 1913
Dean Jones Francom was 7 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Dean Jones Francom was 26 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Dean Jones Francom was 31 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
Dean Jones Francom was 39 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Dean Jones Francom was 51 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Dean Jones Francom was 59 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Dean Jones Francom was 67 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Dean Jones Francom was 76 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Dean Jones Francom died on 19 Nov 2001 at the age of 88
Grave record for Dean Jones Francom (6 Dec 1913 - 19 Nov 2001), BillionGraves Record 115224 Payson, Utah, Utah, United States