biography of Frank Williams
Contributor: dvdmovieking Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
It was April 1, 1897 here in Utah Valley, the lake with it's sparkling ripples was a beauty to behold as the glistening beams danced upon the crystal waters. About one mile east of the lake in a little humble home, a happy mother and father awaited the arrival of their fifth child.
Of four previous occasions this little mother had witnessed the mystery of birth, four little girls had arrived in this home. They were Clara, Viola May, Pearl, and Cora. Little Viola May lived for only three weeks, so on this April Fools Day the first son Francis Henry known throughout his life as Frank, blessed this home being born to Thomas Henry and Martha Holland Williams.
Frank was the fifth child in a family of nine and he brought a great deal of joy into this humble home. Frank grew up working on his father's farm, attending the Vineyard schools.
He married Martha Ella Aston, Aug. 18, 1915. The marriage was later solomized in the Salt Lake Temple. The first six months of their married life was spent with Frank's parents. His brothers and sisters had scarlet fever so the mother took care of the children in part of the house, while Ella, the young wife took care of the rest of the family in another part.
The first winter they moved to an old rock house in Lindon. The home of Grandma Aston. Frank obtained work on Will Maxfield's farm in the spring they moved into what was called "The Little Red School House: in Lindon. After a short time, they moved to the old Hillman home; part of Will Maxfield's place.
About 1918, they bought the Dubois Place consisting of a home and ten acres of land. They lived there until February 1924. He owned a good team and wagon. While farming the land he supplemented his income by hauling hay from Riverton and Bluffdale. The loads were too high to go under the overpass bridge so Frank dug holes for the wheels to sink in, thus lowering the load. He filled them up again after he passed through.
He seeded fish in the lake and hauled shells for the poultry men. He went to the lake in the winter, cut out and put up ice for railroad cars. If the horses broke through the ice, he threw his coat over their heads and they struggled out again. He also worked at the union dairy.
In Feb 1924, he went to Bingham as "Boiler maker helper: where he learned welding and became an accomplished welder. In May 1924, his father Thomas Henry
Williams Died. In 1926, His mother Martha Holland Williams passed away.
Frank returned to Vineyard, where he and his brother Glenn Williams purchased the farm. They farmed together until Franks' children became old enough to help. Then Glenn and Frank separated, but still worked together and shared their problems.
In the spring of 19342, the United States Steel
Company came to Vineyard and Frank then moved to the Lockhart property and later purchased the Clyde Gillman place to farm, his present home. He was a great hand with machinery also very efficient in taking care of machinery and all tool. He never put anything away unless it was in good working order, ready for use the next day.
In May 1963, Frank suffered a partial stroke, which paralyzed his right side. He was confined to a wheel chair and bed for 3 1/2 years being cared for by his faithgul wife Ells, until about 3 weeks ago when she herself went to the hospital.
He passed away Oct 4, 1966, at Utah Valley Hospital in Provo bringing to an end a useful, busy life. He is survived by his widow and children: Mrs. Alma (Bernice)Hansen, American Fork, Utah. Mrs. Leslie Wayne (Marge)Tucker, Salt Lake City, Utah. Dwaine F. Williams, Orem Utah (married Lorraine Hansen) Max K. Williams, of California (married Rae Dawn Curtis). The remaining brothers, sisters are: Mrs. Pearl Bunnell, Orem Utah. Mrs.Joie Maag, Orem, Utah. H. Glenn Williams, American Fork and Rulon T. Williams, Magna Utah. 17 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.