Clyde Russell Simons

7 Apr 1921 - 24 Feb 1977

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Clyde Russell Simons

7 Apr 1921 - 24 Feb 1977
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Special Things I Remember About Dad Submitted by Janet Simons Drake Dad worked a lot of hours to make sure we had everything we needed, even a lot of things that we just wanted. Dad had to keep busy; he ran circles around all of us his whole life. He even spent his vacation time working another job

Life Information

Clyde Russell Simons


Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch

1817 Shoshone Dr
Ogden, Weber, Utah
United States


January 6, 2012


January 5, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Clyde Russell


Clyde Russell Simons is buried in the Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Special Things I Remember About Dad Submitted by Janet Simons Drake Dad worked a lot of hours to make sure we had everything we needed, even a lot of things that we just wanted. Dad had to keep busy; he ran circles around all of us his whole life. He even spent his vacation time working another job in late summer/early fall at a canning factory. I think he really enjoyed it. Dad was from the old school of thought. One year I was skateboarding. I hit a crack in the sidewalk and wound up on the ground. I couldn't walk so Dad helped me into the house. To detect whether there was a break or not, he had me put my leg into a bucket of very warm water. When the leg started to swell, he said "yep, it's broken, let's go to the hospital. After they x-rayed it, we had to sit for the swelling to subside before the doctor could put the cast on. A special memory I have a Dad was the day he quit smoking. He smoked cigars for years. When I was a young teen, he decided he didn't need them anymore and quit. Then He and Mom became active in the church and attended regularly with us. They were then married in the Temple and we were able to attend and be sealed to them. Dad was the one that did a lot of the canning at our house. I remember helping as he canned fruits, vegetables, making jams and jellies, etc. At holiday time, I remember all the yeast rolls Dad would make, I think we could eat them as fast as he baked them. After being a cook in the Army, Dad had learned to make everything in bulk. I remember him making 15-20 pies at a time and freezing for later use. Dad was probably the reason I learned to type. While working for the church, Dad had to type regularly. However, he was only a two-fingered typist. But probably the fastest one I've ever seen. He typed faster with two fingers than I did with all my fingers.

Life Story of Clyde Russell Simons written and submitted by Sharilyn Rogers, a daughter

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Clyde Russell Simons was born on April 7, 1921 to Bertha Viola George and Joseph Elmer Simons in Bancroft, Idaho. He grew up and worked on the family ranch just outside of Chesterfield, Idaho with his brothers and sisters. He had a lot of allergies to various things on the ranch. He liked to cook and so he cooked for his family and the ranch hands. He also hired out and cooked for sheepherder camps. Clyde traveled to Ogden to meet a friend from Idaho. His friend introduced Clyde to Marion Harris and they were married on May 9, 1942 in Preston, Idaho. Clyde enlisted in the Army during World War ll on July 15, 1942. (Serial Number 39028395). Clyde told them he did not want to carry a gun, but he could cook. The army enrolled him a school for Bakers and Cooks at Camp Carson, Colorado and he passed as a First Cook. He spent the rest of his time in the army as a cook. During World War ll, he was on the Leopoldville ship crossing the English Chanel. This ship was hit by a torpedo from a German submarine on Christmas Eve. The ship was sinking and a rescue ship was sent for them. The rescue boat was too small to save them all. (See the story of the sinking of the Leopoldville for details) The soldiers were told to jump off of the low end of the ship and try to swim to shore. Clyde said there wasn't room to jump off there because so many men were all ready in the water. Clyde and some others ran to the high part of the ship and jumped in. He swam to the shores of France five and one half miles. There were few survivors that swam and they all signed their names on a frank bill. He carried this with him for years and kept this bill with him in his wallet the rest of his life. He kept in touch with these men and they planned a trip back to France when they retired. Clyde passed away a few months before the trip. They did invite Marion, but she declined to go. Clyde was discharged on December 17, 1945 from active duty and his final separation date was December 17, 1948. Clyde and Marion had seven children. Clyde Junior 12-30-43, Lorna Jeanne 10-15-46, Sharilyn 08-29-49, Janet 02-25-51, Kent Harris 02-11-52, Bruce Allen 07-13-53, and Arlean 08-22-66. Clyde was so excited when Arlean was born and wanted to show her off. It was a fun time except for mother. She had been quite ill. Clyde worked hard to support his family. Right after his discharge, he cooked on the trains and then moved to Ogden and went into retail by working at JC Penny for over 25 years. He had at times more than one job. He felt that it was his place to support his family and Marion's job to take care of the children and their home. It was very important to him that we always respected mother and did what ever she asked us to do. For years he managed the shoe department in J C Penny and would order all the shoes. We could choose our shoes out of his catalogs and he would order them in our sizes and then use them on the manicans for a month or so then purchase them at bargain prices for us to wear. We were not allowed to go barefooted! He was a shoe salesman and he could afford shoes for his family. I can remember him adding long columns of figures in his head. He could do it faster than most people can do it now on an adding machine. a few years later, he managed the Men's Department. Clyde was a great salesman. Some people said he would have their purchases wrapped and rung up before they realized that they had bought it. He enjoyed people and would talk to someone for an hour or so at church or on the street. We would ask who they were after they left and he didn't know them. He would tell us stories about the people he met during his days at work. We enjoyed listening to his stories. If we ever went to town, we were expected to be in our Sunday dresses with our hair neatly combed. My parents had been attending Project Temple. That lead to the only argument I can remember my parents having. Mom told Dad that he couldn't quit smoking his cigars even if he wanted to. Dad said he could and he did. Marion and Clyde went to the temple and were married and sealed on June 28, 1963 with the first six children. After that they went to Church every week with our family. It was great to have my family to sit with. Dad had many callings after that but he said his favorite was the Elder's Quorum President. Dad planned and cooked many ward dinners. The last on ethat he planned was the night before he passed away. He wouldn't let us tell people just how sick he was. Clyde loved flowers. we had roses of all colors lining the driveway and Iris (Flags) in the backyard. If a new color came out, he would get a start of it. Every year on memorial day, Clyde would cut all the flowers in bloom. We would drive to Bancroft to Aunt Virginia's house. Then the flowers were arranged in bouquets and everyone would go to the cemetery together to place them on the families graves. We listened to family stories and after that we went back to Virginia's home for dinner, more stories, and to enjoy being with cousins we rarely saw. Clyde enoyed watching football and boxing on TV. Booking was something he liked to do, so for Thanksgiving dinner and lots of Wednesdays (his day off) he cooked the family dinner. He also bottled a lot of fruit for our food storage. Canning was always a family affair. The girls washed the bottles. The boys had garbage detail. Dad and Mom washed, peeled, cooked and bottled the fruit. We all got a turn of carrying it downstairs to the storage room. Dad was a believer in food storage. Dad made sure we started our own food storage after we married. We went on a couple of vacations as a family. We went to California to see Mom's sisters. We got to swim in the ocean, meet our cousins and and go to Disneyland. Another year we went to Yellowstone National Park and see Old Faithful and stay in a cabin. We also went to Oklahoma to see Aunt Florence and Aunt Norma, sisters of mom. Every year we went to Lagoon, an amusement park, which was a great treat. Dad's favorite ride was the blanket ride. He would go to a grassy area, spread out a blanket and relax while we ran through the park having a great time. We would all meet at a certain time and have a picnic. In 1970 Dad bought a house in Roy with a couple of acres, enough land to raise some hay. He bought a horse and a couple of steers to raise for meat. He enjoyed riding the horse and teaching the kids to ride. A couple of years later, he gave Dennis and I a steer to raise. We had a place that we could do this. We loaded it up in a horse trailer and drove home. When we got there the steer was gone. Dennis and I drove slowly back over to Dad's and tried to find it. Dad and Dennis retraced our drive and he found the steer by looking at a wobbly markings in the snow to the back of a hay stack. The steer was fine, but it must have jumped out when we were going 50 mph down the road. A donation to our food storage. He also got us a great deal on the freezer. In February 1977, Clyde went into the hospital for a gall bladder operation. The doctor found liver cancer. He lived only ten days after that. He died February 24, 1977, and was buried on February 28, 1977 at the age of fifty five in the Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch, in Ogden, Utah. I have always wished that my children could have known their Grandfather.

Life timeline of Clyde Russell Simons

Clyde Russell Simons was born on 7 Apr 1921
Clyde Russell Simons was 18 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Clyde Russell Simons was 23 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Clyde Russell Simons was 32 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Clyde Russell Simons was 43 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
Clyde Russell Simons died on 24 Feb 1977 at the age of 55
Grave record for Clyde Russell Simons (7 Apr 1921 - 24 Feb 1977), BillionGraves Record 564743 Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States