Clarence Prestwich

26 Feb 1892 - 9 Aug 1947


Clarence Prestwich

26 Feb 1892 - 9 Aug 1947
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

In Lehi, Utah on the twenty-sixth day of February in the year eighteen ninety-two was born the eighth child of Julia Ann Draper and George Prestwich. Their fifth son, he was given the name of Clarence, an English name originating from the name Clare meaning bright. This name was probably given him b
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Clarence Prestwich
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Clarence Prestwich


Delta City Cemetery

750 North
Delta, Millard, Utah
United States


September 24, 2013


September 4, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Clarence...

We found more records about Clarence Prestwich.

Grave Site of Clarence


Clarence Prestwich is buried in the Delta City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



THE HISTORY OF CLARENCE PRESTWICH written by Abigail Prestwich and Nelda Prestwich

Contributor: jodilu57 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

In Lehi, Utah on the twenty-sixth day of February in the year eighteen ninety-two was born the eighth child of Julia Ann Draper and George Prestwich. Their fifth son, he was given the name of Clarence, an English name originating from the name Clare meaning bright. This name was probably given him by his father. His father was born in England and immigrated to the United States with his parents for the gospel's sake. For a while during his early married life George acted as a conductor for the railroad. He was the first conductor to take a train from Juab to Milford, Utah. He moved his family to Milford, but the living conditions were unpleasant for Julia so she insisted on returning to Lehi, Utah. In Lehi they managed a small farm. Farming was a part of young Clarence's life. He was helping his father one day in the fields driving a team of horses and working the machinery when lightening flashed bright and bold, thunder cracked and a bolt of lightening struck the machinery on which he sat. He was knocked off and was unconscious. His mother thought he was dead. This was a shock to her because she had experienced the death of baby Randell just a few years earlier. Upon regaining consciousness, Clarence remembered nothing of the occurrence. In nineteen hundred and three George was employed by the Utah Idaho Sugar Company. He moved his family to Lincoln, Idaho just outside ofldaho Falls. Clarence was eleven at the time of this move. While growing up in Idaho he thinned beets and cared for the livestock. After fmishing grammar school and desiring to further his education, Clarence went to Lehi to attend high school. He stayed with his older sister Juliette and her husband Eli Fox. One memorable time of high school was the evening the Globe Trotters came to Lehi to play. The basketball game was nip and tuck. The outcome was thrilling and not to be forgotten by those witnessing it. To help earn his keep while attending high school, Clarence helped his brother-in-law on the farm. Clarence came to realize that times were tough. On one occasion the harvest had been gathered and it seemed to be a meager portion. One-tenth of this small harvest was to be paid to tithing. One-tenth seemed like a huge bite of so small an amount. In questioning Eli about it, he was told, "The Lord will provide, you will see." Clarence watched with disbelief as Eli took onetenth of his increase to the Bishop's Storehouse for tithing. Time proved Eli's faith to be correct. When others seemed to have nothing the Eli Fox family never went hungry. Clarence saw the blessings from obedience to the great law of tithing. This impressed him so much he worked towards being obedient to this law all his life and encouraged his children to do the same. Religious activities were not encouraged in the George Prestwich home. If the children had religious desires fine, ifnot fine. When Clarence stayed with the Fox family, he attended church regularly with them. At one meeting the bishop made the statement that more missionaries were needed and if anyone desired to go to let him know. Clarence had a desire to go and told the bishop. 'He always felt a little cheated that he was not called and surmised it was because of his background. After two years of high school were completed and when a mission call never materialized Clarence sought adventure. He went East to work. While there he took up the habit of smoking cigarettes to be one of the gang. Some missionaries were discussing the vice of smoking while Clarence was present. They made the statement that the cigarette would soon be his boss, if it wasn't already. He decided right then that no cigarette was going to be his boss and threw them away. He soon returned to Idaho to work for the U&I Sugar Company. Ernest, Clarence's older brother by four years, invited him to come work with him. They went to Delta, Utah to work for the Stems and Roger's Sugar Factory. They made their living quarters in the Dunsmore Hotel above the Hub Mercantile in Delta. Clarence's job was to be an overseer of boys, ages eleven to thirteen, who had come from the city to work thinning beets in the beet fields. They lived in tents on the farms. The Hub Mercantile was a convenient place to shop for the necessary groceries. Oranges were in season and Clarence wanted some and went to the Hub. There he asked a rather cute little clerk for some. He was careful to notice she gave him all the biggest ones. As overseer he visited the Steele farm and soon was aware that this was the home of the cute little clerk at the Hub. He and the boys pitched their tents not far from the living quarters ofthe family. Many occasions arose when he could talk with the cute little clerk Abbie, short for Abigail. Her lively, spunky spirit aroused his interest. The C.C.C. (short for Crazy Country Cousins) had planned a big dance for the countryside that was to be held at the Woodrow Hall. Abbie asked Clarence to go with her. It proved to be an exciting evening. Clarence loved to dance and prided himself on what a smooth dancer he was. He bragged that he could waltz so smoothly that he could carry a glass of water on his head without spilling it. The girls also considered him a good dancer. The music swelled and the singers sang, "Everybody loves a baby that's the reason I love you, Pretty baby, pretty baby. Let me rock you in my cradle of love where it's cuddle all the time." Another favorite song that evening was Alexander's Ragtime Band. Clarence and Abbie made a pleasing couple as they fox-trotted around the hall. It was the custom in those days to change partners often and not dance with the same person all evening. The challenge was to see how many people you could dance with in the course of the evening. Waltzing to the Blue Danube Waltz made one feel as if you were dancing in the courts of royalty with yourselves as the royal couple. In the course of their courtship Abbie and Clarence attended many dances. One afternoon Clarence needed to check on the boys working in the field near the beet dump down by the railroad tracks. Desiring the companionship of Abbie he asked her to go with him. As they strolled down the railroad tracks laughing and talking toward the beet dump, Abbie deliberately dropped her handkerchief. Clarence quickly responded to this clever move and picked it up. "Look what I've got here." Clarence announced. "Oh, my hanky", Abbie declared. Tenderly Clarence replied, "I'm going to put it right here in this pocket next to my heart and I would like to put you there too." This was not his formal proposal but from this statement Abbie knew he was serious about her. A few days later he asked Abbie to marry him. The United States had become involved in the war in Europe, known as World War I, and Clarence knew that because he was of draft age he could be drafted any day. When he proposed, he explained to her that he may never come back and he wanted to know if she would be willing to marry him under those circumstances. She replied that if he would marry her in the temple the right way, she would be willing because then death would be a parting only for this life. She added that if he would not agree to marry 2 her in the temple, then it would be best to wait until the war was over. Clarence being a proper lad asked Abbie's father for her hand and discussed with him the difficulties they faced as a couple. Mr. and Mrs. Steele expressed to him the same desire as did their daughter, that they should marry in the temple. Clarence realized that in order to marry in temple he had to make changes and began to work toward that end. He had his membership sent to Delta. He went to church regularly, . became a full tithe payer and gave other offerings. In a month he had prepared himself to be ordained to the office of an Elder in the Me1chizedek Priesthood. Abbie's grandfather, a patriarch and a highly respected man of influence, probably played a big part in seeing that Clarence received this ordination so quickly. At that time it usually took longer for a man to prove himself worthy of this ordination. One evening Clarence and Abbie were invited to dinner at the home of her grandfather, Mahonri Moriancumer Steele, the patriarch. After they were summoned to the table they knelt for evening prayer, as was their custom. Grandfather called upon Clarence to pray. In Clarence's family, prayers were not said as a family so this was a new and humbling experience. On an evening sometime later Clarence asked Grandfather Steele for a patriarchal blessing. A copy of the blessing follows: Delta, Utah August 1917 A blessing given by Mahonri M. Steele on the head of Clarence Prestwich, son of George Prestwich and Julianna Draper, born in Lehi, Utah February 26, 1892. Brother Clarence Prestwich in the authority of the Holy Priesthood I lay my hands upon thy head and give unto thee a blessing. Thou art of the seed of Ephraim and through the councils of thy Heavenly Father thou hast been chosen to come upon a mission to this Earth to assume a body and bare thy part in establishing the truth and redemption of Zion. Thy guardian angel was sent with you and if you remember your past life you will realize that he has preserved you from many evils and dangers. Thy life shall be precious in the sight of thy Heavenly Father and if thou shalt be prayerful and obedient unto the councils of the priesthood, thy life shall be preserved unto thee. The angels of the Lord shall be around about thee to guard thy footsteps. If you will be humble and seek the Lord, thou shalt have the revelations of the All Mighty to guide you and you shall be forewarned of any dangers that shall beset thy path. Thou shalt be privileged to receive more blessings in the house of the Lord and have a companion that shall be suitable to thy condition in life, who will be a wise councilor and adviser unto you. And thou shalt have a numerous posterity and live to see an overflowing scourge to go forth upon the land. If you live, it will be through your faith and being able to control conditions and receive thy inheritance and reign as a king and prince unto the Lord. And the visions of the All Mighty shall be opened unto you through faithfulness in keeping the commandments of the Lord. And I seal these blessings upon you to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection and receive your crown. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. Mahonri M Steele, Patriarch. 3 Abbie and Clarence were married August 29, 1917 in the Salt Lake Temple by Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, an apostle. None of Clarence's or Abbie's folks were able to attend the marriage ceremony. After their marriage they went to Idaho so Clarence could introduce his bride to his family. It was only a short visit because a telegram came from Abbie's father telling Clarence that he had been drafted and to report to Salt Lake on October 4, 1917. He was to report to the 145th field artillery. It was a rush to get to Salt Lake on the appointed date. As their train arrived in Salt Lake the troop train was already loading. Getting off one train bidding his crying bride good-bye, he boarded the other train. He knew his eventual destination would be Europe, but his short term destination was Fort Lewis, Washington. Clarence had been assigned to the 119th artillery division after arriving at Fort Lewis. Fort Lewis, with it's setting in the great North West forest, was his first contact with army life. It was there that he received what is known as boot training. Under the rigid commands of the sergeants he was taken through the tedious ordeal of how to wear his clothes, stand in line, make his bed and keep his part of the barrack clean. Included in this, was training in handling of weapons and practices of their usage in fighting the enemy. The orders soon came that the 119th artillery division was to be shipped to Camp Kerney, California. This was the time they had been training for. Camp Kerney was the shipping out point for Europe. Christmas was nearing and Clarence longed to spend what might be his last Christmas with his bride. He wrote her and told her that his brother Wesley owed him fifty dollars. When she received it, she was to come to San Diego on the train. He was at the train to meet his bride. He had to look carefully to find his Abigail through the crowd. He spied her with a fancy black velvet hat that had a feather sticking straight up, a plaid coat with a black velvet collar and fancy buttoned shoes. What a surprising and delightful sight his lovely wife made to his eyes! After embracing her he took her to a rooming house where he had previously rented a room for her. On weekends or on pass he would come there to stay. Hand in hand they would stroll the streets taking in the sights. Balboa Park was one of Clarence's favorite places to take Abbie. There they could have privacy to talk, feed the pigeons and listen to the military band that came there to practice every afternoon. Young men in uniforms and girls were everywhere enjoying their last few days together. They knew that this might be their last chance to spend time with those they loved before being separated by the war. Shortly after Christmas the call came for the 119th Artillery Division to be shipped overseas. Clarence obtained a twenty-four hour pass and Abbie and he boarded the train for Los Angeles. Knowing that this was his last chance to show his love for Abbie for some time, he decided to give her the best. They entered one of the best hotels in Los Angeles and Clarence ordered a very nice room. Turning to Abbie he said, "Did you see them raise their eyebrows when I ordered that room?" For this one night they would live in luxury. It took $10.00 for one night which was probably half of his monthly wages. While there they did some sightseeing. They went to one of the large parks that had ostriches and alligators in it and other interesting sights. The following evening Clarence saw Abbie board the train for Utah; then he boarded the train for San Diego. 4 ~\ Clarence's troop ship went through the Panama Canal headed toward Europe. The question on everyone's mind was where were they going to be sent - Germany, France? They were stationed for a short time in England. When the orders came for them to go to France they knew that the main part of the war was in France and they would be in the thick of it. No one in the civilized world could ever imagine the filth they were required to witness in France. The Germans had ripped the country of its moral dignity and left the streets running with blood. The spoils of war was enough to turn even the strongest man green with nausea. Clarence carried with him the Bible and Book of Mormon to reinforce his faith in God and his fellowmen. The 119th Artillery Division's orders were to proceed from the Soissons front to the front lines located in the Argonne woods. It may have been at this time while approaching the front lines that Clarence came to two roads, one leading to his soldier comrades and the other leading toward the enemy encampment. He hesitated and then unknowingly started toward the enemy. A small dog came barking after him. He turned to see the little fellow. The dog would run back the way he had come then run up to him. It was as ifhe was saying come this way. Clarence, because of this small animal turned back the way he had come and proceeded down the other road. Later he learned this event saved his life. He later commented how the little dog looked like Shep, a dog he had loved in his childhood. Clarence and his comrades dug in with the roar of the battle surrounding them. Days of fighting with only slight intervals of silence followed. Shrapnel shells were making their marks all around them. It was under these conditions that Clarence received word that his first child, a daughter was born on June 6,1918. He wrote Abbie expressing his desire that his daughter be named Gyndel. She was named Clara Gyndel, Clara after her father Clarence. It was probably on an advance command toward the enemy that Clarence heard a woman's voice call, "Move to the side of the road." Looking to see who it might have been, Clarence saw Julia, his sister-in-law who had earlier passed away. Again she called, "Move to the side ofthe road." This time all the fellows with him heard the call. They moved quickly. On the very spot where they had been standing, a shell fell exploding into flying pieces of shrapnel. The men had dug holes in the ground to stay out ofthe sight ofthe enemy. These foxholes weren't conducive to cleanliness. The many days of heavy fighting made it impossible for even a quick shave. A shave would help a man to feel more human than animal and give him a needed lift of morale. When a lull came in the battle, Clarence decided to take advantage of it by giving himself that long awaited shave. He was probably teased by his buddies as he hung the container to be used as a mirror on a nearby tree. He turned to them and said, "Wait and see. Tonight I'll be sleeping in a bed and be cleanly shaven." As soon as he had made this declaration, the battle's silence ended with a barrage of enemy fire. A shell fell near and exploded, driving a piece of deadly shrapnel into Clarence's right shoulder. No doubt to the amazement of those who heard his prediction, it was fulfilled. He was taken to an army hospital well behind enemy fire. He was then transported to the coast and boarded a hospital ship which was on it's way home. Clarence found the voyage home on the hospital ship rough and long. Somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, he celebrated Thanksgiving day that year, grateful to be alive and on his way home. He had a difficult time eating the traditional Thanksgiving dinner provided by 5 the ship's crew. It was hard enough to eat with his left hand when he was right handed but making it more difficult was the constant rolling of the ship making the table jump about. All in all it was most exasperating! When the call came over the loud speakers, "Entering New York Harbor!" those able bodied men were no doubt on deck to greet the first sight of their home land. Hugging the ship's railing, hearing the splashing of the water against it's metal siding, feeling the cold wind tugging at them, they watched the Statue of Liberty come into view. Whether Clarence said the words silently or to those near him, they were addressed to that mighty statue, "If you ever see me again you will have to do a right about face." The news which greeted them as they entered New York Harbor brought tears of grateful joy and shouts of relief. The Armistice had been signed! The war was over! As soon as it was possible, Clarence called Abbie from New York to tell her he was home but wounded. He would go to see her as soon as arrangements could be made. Clarence was sent to Des Moines, Iowa for treatments. He was operated on several times for skin grafts on his shoulder. A part of his shoulder bone was blown off and the damaged skin was removed by the army surgeons, leaving a large indentation. The efforts to pull the skin together and stitch it failed because the stitches would continually pull out and the skin grafts would never take. It seemed that all their efforts to mend the shoulder were failing. A leave was granted him at Christmas time to go to Utah and visit his family. Clarence was grateful for this opportunity because while in the hospital he was unable to wear his temple garments. He felt that ifhe could put the priesthood garment back on, his shoulder would heal. He had great faith and respect for the temple covenants. Clarence arrived in Delta a day or two before Christmas to surprise his wife. He looked very dignified in his uniform although his arm was done up in sling under his coat. He was anxious to hold and play with his little daughter but to his disappointment she would have nothing to do with him. His leave was only for a short time and he left right after Christmas. On the way back to Des Moines he stopped at Fort Douglas to have his arm redressed and found it had greatly improved. When Clarence arrived at Des Moines army hospital they were surprised to see how much better his arm looked. He told them if they would let him go to Utah his arm would heal. They doubted that. He had faith in the protecting power of the temple garments and knew that the healing of his shoulder would increase if he wore them. The church at that time had encouraged all soldiers to not wear their garments outside of Utah because of the ridicule they had experienced. He kept pestering the doctors to let him be transferred to Utah so his arm would get better. Finally the doctors granted him a transfer to Utah. At Fort Douglas he could wear the garments and with faith in their protecting power the wound began to knit and mend itself. He was at Fort Douglas for only a short time until he was released and given his discharge papers. Clarence entered the army October 4, 1917. He served on the Soissons Front September 1-15, 1918, Argonne Forest in France September 15 to October 29, 1918. He was wounded by a shrapnel shell on October 29, 1918. He was discharged May 29, 1919 in what was considered poor condition and was given a bonus of sixty dollars in his final pay. He entered the •• 6 r>. army as a private and received no advancement, decorations or medals, but he served his country well. •• While at Fort Douglas there was a captain who always insisted that Clarence salute him. After receiving his discharge papers he saw this captain. He told him, "Give me thirty minutes and I will never salute you again." Clarence had time to go into Salt Lake, buy some clothes and change into them before meeting this captain again. He was in the act of raising his hand for a salute when he caught himself. Clarence was a civilian again! Clarence went by train to Delta. He could find no employment so he took his wife and child to Idaho where he had confidence he could find work. He was able to obtain employment with the Utah Idaho Sugar Company. He began work in the warehouse where the sugar was stored and then shipped. His earnings weren't much more than a hundred dollars a month if even that much. It was considered to be a good wage at that time. Upon moving to Idaho, Clarence and Abbie first lived with his parents. While there they learned that Clarence's brother Wesley, a widower, needed someone to look after his children. Clarence and Abbie decided they would live with him. They would take care of the housework and children for their board and room. When things didn't work out as planned, Abbie persuaded Clarence to find a place for themselves. He was able to rent a small house next to his parents. Furnishing it proved a problem, but by getting a few pieces of furniture at a time on payments, they were able to do so. One evening someone from the sugar factory ran down and told Clarence that the sugar in the warehouse was on fire. He was the manager of the warehouse so he hurried to help. The fire was caused by poor electrical wiring. Clarence worked the night with the others moving the hot sugar and they were able to save most of it. When the fire was out and all danger had past, Clarence returned home. His hands were badly blistered and his wife wrapped every finger separately with rags and Vaseline to decrease the pain and healing time. Later they were able to rent a larger house up the street. On January 10, 1920 Abbie gave birth to their second daughter, whom they named Aza, after Abbie's cousin Aza Houston. A year later when it came time for Abbie to give birth to their third child, Clarence took her and the girls on the train to Delta to be with her mother. There Clarence waited for the birth of their baby. Their first son was born February 17, 1921. Clarence was a proud father, like most males he desired a son. They called him Calvin, after one of his army friends and Steele, Abbie's maiden name. After the arrival of his son, Clarence returned to Idaho. Three weeks later his wife returned, bringing the little family with the help of her sister Fay. Clarence's heart wasn't in the work he was doing. He didn't want to work in the sugar factory all his days. The Utah Idaho Sugar Company bought the Stems and Rogers Company that operated in Delta. Ernest, Clarence's brother, learned that the sugar company was leasing farms in Delta. Clarence went down to Delta and was able to lease one of these farms. After four years in Idaho the family prepared to move. Clarence preceded his family to Delta and by the time they arrived he had the crops all planted. Clarence loved working with the land and enjoyed seeing it produce. He was a true farmer at heart for he liked to be near God's creations, to see and feel of a surety that He lives. 7 •• He witnessed this fact in the daily struggles of life; his own, his family's and the plants' and animals' he cared for. Abbie's Grandfather Steele let Clarence and his family live on his farm in Sutherland, Utah. Sutherland is now a small rural farming area but in those days it was a growing town. They were planning to work the farm for her grandfather and then in time to buy it. Shortly after moving to the farm, on October 30, 1922 Clarence's wife gave birth to a daughter that they named Lola. She was named after Abbie's distant cousin Lola Marshall. In September of 1923 after harvesting the grain, the sugar company employed Clarence to haul some grain for them. He went to the community of Woodrow to the Jackson farm to get the load. While loading it he had a stroke and fell hitting his head against the wagon wheel. He was found unconscious by one of the field hands. He was taken to a nearby farmhouse. The doctor was called and someone was sent to get his wife. Shortly after Abbie got to the farmhouse, the doctor also arrived. The doctor's advice was to leave him there for the night because he believed moving him would be harmful. Abbie sat up all night with him. He went in and out of consciousness, rational then irrational. The next morning a Mexican field hand employed by the sugar company came to take Clarence home. His brother Ernest had heard about what had happened and had sent a covered truck with driver to move him. While Clarence lay sick in bed, his small children went in and peeked at him because they were worried about him. It was at this time that Abbie received word of the death of Grandfather Steele. Her grandfather had gone to Salt Lake and while there planned to deed his farm where Clarence and family were living to them. Alvin Jensen, an uncle of Abbie's, came to the farm and declared that it was left to him. Clarence told him he would have to give him proof of it, and until then they would continue to live there. It was a year and three months after the birth of Lola that a fourth daughter was born to Clarence and Abbie. Clarence had planned to go into the hills to cut wood for the winter. This was a three day trip and he didn't want to leave his wife until after the baby was born. He waited and waited, but the baby didn't come. He became impatient and decided to go to the hills anyway. When he returned on February 4, 1924 she arrived. He felt that she had waited until he came back to be born. They named her after Elizabeth Robertson, a friend they had known at Camp Kerny, California. Elizabeth used the name Beth so they gave their daughter this name. In the spring of 1924 they were forced to move from the farm in Sutherland because there was no way to prove that it had been promised to them. Clarence felt that there was something crooked about the deal. Clarence was persuaded by Ed Henry, Abbie's brother-inlaw, to move to his farm because Ed thought he was in the money and didn't want to farm. So he moved his family there and managed the farm while Ed looked for a prospective buyer. He was a good farmer and he made the farm yield more than it had ever done under it's owner. He took great pride in his work, and it made him quite unhappy when Ed in his efforts to sell the place stomped down his alfalfa while showing it to prospective buyers. It was while living on this farm that on October 2, 1925 Clarence and Abbie's second son was born. He was named Dale. Abbie's mother was not a mid-wife but had come over to assist while Clarence went for the doctor. When Clarence and the doctor arrived they heard two babies 8 •• crying, the newborn and little Beth who had awakened and wanted attention. The doctor cared for the newborn and the mother. Everyone was joyful at Dale's safe arrival. Henry was able to sell his farm. After harvesting the crops, Clarence moved his young family again. This time he moved them into Delta in what was known as the Coping houses. The winter was spent there while Clarence worked at any employment he could find. He was a good worker and a good provider for his family. He saw to it that they always had shelter, food and clothes but it was not always easy to make ends meet. He would often say in a teasing tone to Abbie, "You can throw more out with a teaspoon than I can shovel in a scoop shovel." His great love for his family was shown in his continued initiative and struggle to provide for their needs. The opportunity came for Clarence to lease another farm for the spring of 1926. It was called the Lytle place and was located in Sutherland. This farm hadn't been cared for so it was very rundown. Clarence worked that spring preparing the land for planting. As much as possible his children and wife would help. It was probably during this spring after the crops where planted that Clarence took a job hauling gravel. He would take his young son Calvin and an oatmeal box of apples and head for the gravel pit. Clarence was proud of his team of horses. He could make a team pull greater loads than most. He took great pride in this. When they would arrive at the gravel pit Clarence would get down and stand by the fire and let his son drive the team through the line of shovelers. They would load the wagon to a very heavy peak then Clarence would call out, "Pull'er out kid." It was a long hard pull all the way around the pit. Young Cal, not yet in school, had the job of driving the horse team that mowed the hay in the field east ofthe house. Tony, a part of the team, was a spry horse when his tail was up. Clarence always tied his tail down but this time Tony pulled his tail free because a fly was bothering him. As soon as his tail was free Tony took off pulling the team around and around the field with the mower blade down. Cal was so small that his feet dangled as he sat on the mower seat. He fell off the seat but was able to climb back on and tried to stop the team. He heard someone yell, "Jump offthe back!" so he jumped. The team continued around the field until it rammed the cutter blade into a hay-rake. Clarence was relieved that his son was only frightened and not hurt. But oh my, was he upset with that horse. Clarence believed in discipline for his animals as well as his children. He took Tony and hooked him up to another mower and really worked him hard. Clarence loved to make a good deal on his horse trading. He could always depend on making a good trade with his neighbor Rube Turner. Clarence would take his horses to Rube and wouldn't brag about them, or say too much. He would let Rube talk himself into the trade. Usually after the trade was completed, Rube would give Clarence ten dollars more. Once Rube brought a Mr. Coffm to Clarence and asked ifhe had some horses to sell. Ernest, Clarence's brother, had left his horses with Clarence for him to sell. He answered yes and sent them to the house to find Cal. He would show them the horses. Rube and Mr. Coffin came to Cal and asked to see the horses. Cal went to the field and got them. Mr.Coffin asked Cal what was wrong with the old mare. Cal replied, "There's nothing wrong with that old mare but she's got a gut ache all the time." Well, that sale was ruined. But it was for the best because Ernest wrote and wanted his horses. That little incident became ajoke that lived on for all the years Clarence and Rube were friends. That one time Rube Turner got the best of Clarence and Rube would never let him forget 9 •• it. They enjoyed teasing each other. On one occasion Rube was helping Clarence slip ditches. Rube held the slip scrapers and when he came to some roots he pushed them in so they would come up and pinch the horses, a prized team of Clarence's. The next time around Clarence saw what was going to happen so he sped up the team, old Rock and Prince, and it threw Rube up in the air in a somersault. Rube's little trick had backfired on him. Irrigation was the only means by which the crops were watered as rain fall was very low. Clarence went out to the west field to irrigate. As he was walking down the field checking the water, he fell into a large sink hole. Through quick thinking and the watchful eye of his guardian angel he laid the shovel across the hole. He pulled himself up to his armpits and managed to get out. This left a big hole and from then on they worked around it. In providing for the winters Clarence made sure that his family wouldn't go hungry. They often bought as much as a ton of flour and stored it in the closets or under the beds. One year Clarence traded some nice white turkeys for thirteen bushels of apples. If peddlers came around with fruit, Clarence bought a few bushels and the family would work together in canning it. Never did he let his family go hungry. A third son was born in the fall on October 26, 1927. He was named Erwin after his father's uncle and Mahonri after his mother's father and grandfather. While Erwin was still a .baby it became apparent that something serious was wrong with his leg. In consulting with the doctor he advised them to take the baby into Salt Lake to a bone specialist. So Clarence took his wife and baby to the train for the trip to Salt Lake. The doctor in Salt Lake said that the leg bone had to be scraped immediately to remove the infected part. Abbie contacted Clarence and told him that Erwin needed an operation and she would need him to send her some money. This emergency made it necessary for him to borrow money on his next year's crops. He was relieved to hear that his baby son had come through the operation successfully. It was a joyous day when mother and child arrived home. Clarence had no patience with himself when he was ill. He wasn't happy lying around and because he felt miserable, no one could do anything to please him. His family learned to tread lightly when he was ill. Such was the case when his leg swelled as big as a watermelon and the pain was something fearful. It ached so badly that the family hardly dared walk across the floor. If the floor shook the bed in the slightest he let them know it, so miserable with pain was he. This illness lasted about a week. After Clarence fully recovered from this bout of rheumatism, as they called it, he talked with many neighbors that were moving to Washington. They thought they could make a better living up there. He wanted to go and find out for himself so he decided to make the trip up there. He remembered the greenness of the Northwest forest in comparison with the hard dry soil he was laboring with. It was the first of November 1929, the apples were deliciously red and nuts were ripe. A neighbor that had moved up there showed him around. It was great to feel free of responsibility, but this vacation came to an abrupt end when he lost his wallet. He wrote Abbie to send him some money. She did so with a very brief, pointed note, "Your vacation is over, get home!" He made haste to do so but not empty handed, for he managed to bring a big sack full of unshelled walnuts home to the delight of the children. , L 10 On the evening of February 28, 1930 Abbie gave birth to their eighth child, a girl. They named her Nelda after a dear friend, Nelda Gray. Knowing that Abbie's labors in the past had not been long, the doctor and her mother were summoned early in the labor. The doctor became enthusiastically involved in recounting a ball game. As the delivery time got closer both Clarence and Lottie, her mother, had to sternly redirect the doctor's attention back to his patient. After safely delivering the baby the doctor never returned to check on Abbie or the baby. When he came back several times to ask for the remainder of his fee, Clarence wouldn't pay him. He figured if the work wasn't done, he wasn't going to pay for it. Clarence knew that Abbie would need someone to care for her and the children so he hired a woman to come in. This arrangement didn't work out, and he then hired a girl to take care of things while the children were in school. She did nothing but stand in front of the mirror and primp. The girl was soon dismissed and Clarence took over the housework as well as the farm duties. The Lytle place blossomed as a rose under Clarence's stewardship. The farm did so well that the sugar company received an offer for it. Clarence would have bought it, but he did not have the down payment. He could have borrowed the money from the government but he didn't like to be in debt. He knew that if he borrowed the money from the government they would then have the right to know what he owned. Clarence didn't have much but what he did have he wanted to remain in his control. When it came time to move, Clarence was able to lease another farm out in Woodrow. The house on this farm was very small. It had a small living room, a lean-to kitchen and two very small bedrooms upstairs. It was not large enough to accommodate the family so a tent was pitched outside for the boys' sleeping quarters. There was a garage-like building they called a barn in which they stored things. Clarence was different from most other farmers of that time in allowing his children to have pets. The children didn't have many toys but he did let them have the experience of loving animals and learning the responsibility of caring for them. These pets were often orphaned by mothers who wouldn't claim them. The mother sow had one too many little pigs for her capacity to feed them. Clarence took the unwanted one into the house to be bottle fed. The little piggy did well under the loving care of the children and they named him Jigs. Jigs was a jolly sort of pig, delighting in playing peek-a-boo and chasing the children through the house. Jigs would sometimes run through the screen door much to the dismay of Clarence. He decided Jigs was big enough to provide meat for the family. None of the children would eat him so Clarence ended up selling the meat. Around this time the children adopted a little lamb that they raised on the bottle. This little lamb was special because she had blue eyes which they called Bright or Blue Eyes. Once she fell down the outhouse toilet and OH MY what a mess! It took them a long time to rid her of that aroma. Clarence had been called to work in the M.I.A. One particular evening he tied the bull behind the car to-return it to it's owner on the way to M.I.A. He had borrowed the bull from the Hendersons and wanted to get him back. He drove and the girls rode in the car with him while Cal had to run behind switching the bull to keep him from pulling the ring out of his nose. When they arrived home after M.I.A., they were greeted with a heart sickening sight - the barn had 11 .. ,'.1. I • • burned down. All the winter food, all the harnesses, the washing machine, everything they had worked so hard and long to get was gone. In order to earn some money for the children to have shoes and a few school clothes and food for the winter, Clarence went to Spanish Fork to work in the sugar factory. He worked there about three weeks. He was summoned home by his motherin- law because Abbie was very ill with asthma. Clarence took Abbie to stay with her mother in Delta so she could recover. It was there on December the first, 1931 she gave birth to ason they called Lyn, after Abbie's Uncle Lyn, her mother's youngest brother. Erwin was a lively little boy. He would climb almost anywhere and try flying by jumping off, having no concept of the danger of it. One day he climbed on the table and decided to try his wings and fly to the floor. Much to his sorrow he fell on his little arm breaking it. Clarence was called and they took him to the doctor who set his arm crookedly. Later when he saw how crooked the arm was he told them they would have to take him over to Fillmore to get it fixed. This was the last time Clarence took any of his family to this doctor. He decided that Doctor Smith would be their family doctor from then on. In the winter of 1932 Clarence rented a small house about a mile north of Delta. This made a division in the family that winter. The older children remained on the Woodrow farm and took care of the livestock and other farm chores. Abbie and the younger children moved to this small house near Delta. While there in Delta another son graced the family of Clarence and Abbie. He was named after his father and given his mother's maiden name. Clarence Steele was born February 23,1933. It was in the spring of 1933 that Clarence received a small compensation for his army service and for being wounded in the war. The compensation amounted to four hundred dollars. He used the money to put a down payment on a house that the sugar company had for sale. They were for sale because the factory had closed down. He was very pleased to move his family into a home of their very own, one large enough to accommodate them. It had a large front room, a dining room, a kitchen, and porches in the front and back. The upstairs had three bedrooms, a bath and a screened porch. In addition to the home the sale price included four garages, land behind the house for a corral, and seven acres of land across the street and in front of the house that could be farmed. With the land came nine shares of water for irrigation. This was the first place where the family had the luxury of an inside bathroom and running water. Although he had bought this place, he continued to run the Woodrow farm for the remainder of that year. Clarence also leased for that year the sugar company farm that was located behind his property. Late that summer the first crop of hay was ready to be harvested on the little piece of land out in front of the house. Clarence told Dale, not yet eight, it was his job to help stack the hay in the wagon as it went down the rows in the field. Clarence was working at the barn stacking the hay as it was brought in. Dale reluctantly went to do this chore with Ellis Whitaker, the hired hand. After the wagon was all loaded Dale sat on the loose hay and Ellis stood in the wagon and drove the team of horses. They started out of the field crossing the little ditch at the north end of the field. When crossing the ditch part of the load slipped off and spooked a young horse that was not completely broken. He reared up, which frightened the other horses and they began to run. The sudden jerking of the wagon caused more of the load to roll off bringing Dale with it. He fell forward under the wagon wheels and had no time or way to escape the heavy deadly 12 / •• impact of the wagon as it rolled over his small body. Ellis picked him up and ran with him to Parker's lawn across the street. When Clarence got there he gently picked him up and took him home. He carried him upstairs and put him on a bed in one of the bedrooms. He knew he had to go out to Woodrow to tell the children he had left there, Gwen and Cal, and to bring them home. Poor Cal felt ashamed to cry but couldn't keep from doing so when the full impact of the truth of Dale's death hit him. He said over and over, "I shouldn't have come in. I knew I would cry:" The doctor came and declared Dale dead and made out the death certificate that day. It was two or three days later on the eve of the funeral that Mr. Knight, acting as the undertaker, came to prepare him for burial. Mr. Knight had Mrs. Pace come to wash and dress him before putting him into his final resting place. It bothered Abbie that when people came to console the family they entered an almost bare house with no curtains. Many of Clarence's family came down from Idaho for the funeral. Dale had been little Erwin's bed-partner and he would lay awake crying because he was lonesome and had no one to sleep with. Clarence couldn't suffer the lonely cry of his little son so he would get up and put Erwin in bed with him and Abbie until he got used to Dale not being there. Clarence pondered over the fact that Dale hadn't been baptized, so he went to the stake authorities and wanted to do his work in the temple for him. He had it all thought out in his mind that he would first be baptized for Dale then as Dale would have grown older he would do his endowment work for him. The authorities told him it wasn't necessary to do,this work because Dale hadn't yet reached the age of accountability. Clarence gained a greater understanding of the great mercy and justice of the Lord. Through his new understanding of this great principle of the gospel he felt the great love of the Father of life. He explained this to his children and showed a relief to know that Dale had entered into the presence of the Lord. Clarence decided not to run the Woodrow farm the year after Dale's death. He put his efforts on the land he had leased behind his property. At times he would rent a few additional acres of land to plant sugar beets. He worked this land behind his property for many years . Behind the house was a large corral in which he had six to eight milking cows and a large barn with a loft where he kept rabbits. All the children had their farm chores to do; the older children would milk the cows and water and feed the horses and cows; the younger children pulled alfalfa for the rabbits and fed the pigs and calves. In August of 1935 Clarence received word of his mother's death. His mother had been ill for sometime so her death was not a shock to him. She died on the 12th day of August and was buried on the 15th. He went to Idaho Falls, Idaho to her funeral, taking with him his two oldest daughters, Gyndel and Aza. It was a long hard trip by car to get there in time for the funeral. The one thing Clarence wanted of his mother's was a small rocker she had given to him as a boy. Clarence thought his children would enjoy it. On November 21, 1935 Clarence moved the big bed downstairs into the living room. The living room couch was moved into the dining room and there was a feeling of anticipation in the air. Abbie's mother had come down to look after things. The older children knew what was about to happen and thought they were old enough to be part of this experience. They didn't like the idea of being shooed to bed early but they reluctantly went upstairs. Although the younger 13 •• children didn't understand what was about to happen, they felt the excitement. That evening a new baby boy was born to Clarence and Abbie. They decided to name their sixth son Leo Steele, after Leo Lyman a well liked and respected person in the community. After the death of his mother, Clarence's Aunt Sally, Lauretta Tidwell, harassed his father to go to the temple and be sealed to his wife. Clarence's father prepared himself to go to the temple and wanted Clarence to go with him. Father Steele stayed at Clarence's and they went to the Manti temple from there on September 24, 1935. They got up early and went over to Moroni, picked up Clarence's Aunt Sally, his mother's sister, then went to Manti to the temple. At the temple they met Clarence's older sister, Juliette. Aunt Sally acted as proxy for Clarence's mother and Clarence and Juliette were both sealed to their parents that day. Clarence's father came back to stay with Clarence and his family for about a week. He delighted the children by playing with them. He was a gentle, jolly, fun man to be around. Much like a child's idea of Santa Claus, slightly heavy in stature with white curly hair and mustache. It was a year and nine months after the death of Clarence's mother that Clarence received a call about his father's death at the L.D.S. Hospital in Salt Lake City. His father's funeral was in Idaho Falls. He died May 11, 1937 and was buried May 15th in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Under President Roosevelt the New Deal Agencies were organized during the lowest points in the depression ofthe 1930's. It was under the New Deal that in 1933 the C.c.c. (Civilian Conservation Corp.) was organized. Thousands of young men were employed to improve forest campgrounds and recreational areas. A C.C.C. camp was setup in Delta; much to the dismay of many of the towns people. Clarence had compassion on these boys because he knew what it was like to be far from home in an army-like situation. He often invited them into his home and treated them as friends. They loved the homemade bread and fresh milk. When Clarence could afford it, he bought a refrigerator making it possible for milk to be kept fresh to sell to these boys. Clarence's older daughters would date these young fellows. They enjoyed going to Billy Van's, an interestingly decorated dance hall with a good dance band. Sometimes when his daughters didn't have dates, Clarence acted as their chaperone and went with them to the dance. When Clarence's children went on dates he expected them to be in at a certain time. If they weren't home at the appointed hour he would wake those at home with his concern. On some rare occasions he went out looking for the late offenders. Once the c.C.C. boys decided as an April Fools trick they would get the best of Mr. Prestwich. During the evening they took a hay rack off his wagon. The next morning Clarence went down the block to the camp and said calmly, "Come on you guys, let's go put that rack box back on the wagon." They expected him to be mad with them and were surprised when he was so calm about it. They got their hats and went to put the rack back on the wagon. Abbie's parents lived in a small house about two blocks away from Clarence and Abbie. Abbie's father died September 27, 1937. As her mother was alone, Clarence and Abbie decided it would be nice for Abbie to stay with her for the birth of their next child. A cute little darkhaired baby girl was born on March 10, 1938. All the children on their way to or from school stopped to see their new baby sister. Clarence and Abbie decided that they wanted this baby to have a name no one else had. They wanted her name to begin with a letter in the range of w to z. 14 .•. While reading the newspaper Clarence came upon the name Zolet and decided that was the name for their daughter. Clarence took the evening to enjoy his children. He would often lie on the lawn and let the children use him for a tumbling prop, and at times he would race with them. He prided himself on the strength he had in his hands. He would put a quarter in each hand and tell the boys if they could get it out they could have it to go to the show. They managed few times if ever to take them away from him. On Easter he would take the children on a picnic. One Easter picnic he took them out to what was known as Lone Tree. They put hay or straw in the wagon and hitched a team to pull it. It was a family hay ride with songs and games. The family enjoyed and long remembered this happy occasion together. Christmas was also a grand occasion. Clarence tried to get the small children at least one nice toy and older children a nice piece of clothing. On Christmas Eve the family would go together to the church for a program put on by the Primary. Sometimes one of Clarence's children would have a part in the program. After the singing of Christmas songs Santa Claus would come and give each child a bag of candy with a big orange in it. Later that evening after the children were tucked into bed, Clarence and Abbie would go to their special hiding places and bring out the gifts and put them under the decorated tree. About three in the morning Clarence would hear footsteps creak on the stairs and call out, "Its only three o'clock in the morning, go back to bed." He made it a standing rule that the children couldn't get up before he had gotten up and made the fire in the big red stove. The minute the children heard the ashes being shaken down they knew that was their cue to get up. This would happen after many attempts of one child or another trying to go downstairs without getting caught. By the time the fire was made and the children all down- stairs, it would be a little after five o'clock in the morning. Clarence liked to be there to see the surprise and joy on his children's faces when they saw their gifts. Christmas day would be spent playing games such as Monopoly, Rook and other games received as gifts. There was always a big Christmas dinner with pies, cakes, and many other goodies to eat. As a Christmas treat Clarence always tried to have a box of oranges and a bushel of apples down in the basement, and had some hard tack candy and popcorn for treats. During the long winter evenings the family would play games received at Christmas. Many evenings were spent around the dinning room table playing Rook. The older children were growing up. Gyndel graduated from high school in May of 1937 and Aza in 1938. The year Calvin graduated from high school he played on the Delta state football championship team of 1939. Clarence was a proud father; he loved sports and good sportsmanship. Whenever it was possible he tried to go to see Calvin play. The C.c.c. was being dissolved and many boys were going home. Clarence was asked by his daughter Aza and a C.C.C. fellow they called A.J., if they could borrow the car. They said they were going to a farewell party for one of the boys who was going home. It was early in the day when they borrowed the car and towards evening when they returned home. It wasn't until later that evening that Aza told her mother that she and Amos J. Fears had gone to Beaver and had gotten married. Abbie told Clarence of the elopement and he was very deeply hurt. because he felt that they had planned to deceive them from the beginning. When Aza had asked or hinted about getting married, Clarence had told her it would be wise for her to wait. He said she should 15 II- 1 let A.J. go home, then ifhe still cared he would come back to Delta and ask her to marry him. February 28, 1940 was an unhappy evening for Clarence and Abbie, when it should have been a happy occasion. After Amos 1. Fears had gone South to Florida, he sent for Aza to join him. Her home from then was in the state of Florida. Lola graduated from high school in 1940 and decided to go on to college. She applied and enrolled at the Branch Agriculture College at Cedar City, Utah. Clarence and Abbie were very pleased to have her go to college. They sacrificed much for her to continue her education. They had taken her down or had gone to see her and had left the older children in charge of things. Strict instructions were left for them not to tease or irritate the big bull penned up in the corral. When Clarence and Abbie got back, much to their dismay, Beth had been bunted by the bull and suffered a broken shoulder. They were concerned about this and were grateful she hadn't been killed. As was Clarence's nature he accepted big serious problems with calmness; it was only the small ones that irritated him. Clarence and Abbie's oldest daughter met a pleasant fellow who came into Delta as a railroad worker. When he asked her to marry him, she agreed. They asked Bishop Warren Henderson to come to the house to marry them. On November 25, 1940 Clara Gyndel married Edward James Tureson in the presence of her family. Clarence was able to save enough money to buy a radio. The children loved it, they would hurry home from school to listen to their favorite programs; Jack Armstrong, Hop Harrican, The Lone Ranger. It was a half hour of real excitement. Clarence listened to the news about the war in Europe and it was getting continually worse. Germany was again the aggressor under the dictatorship of Adolf Hitler. Japan joined forces with Germany, and on December 7, 1941 bombed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the government formed concentration camps for the Japanese families living in the western coastal areas. One such camp was built west of Delta at what was called Topaz Mountain about seventy miles out in the desert. These Japanese people who we,re used to fine clean living quarters were given a frame barrack type house to live in. The Salt Lake, Delta Freight Line was formed to ship supplies out to these people because the small town of Delta wasn't large enough to accommodate them. Clarence got the job of managing this freight line at the Delta end of it. His job was to deliver goods to Topaz and to other small towns. He met many wonderful Japanese people. He felt sorry for them because most were loyal Americans. When he took the truck filled with commodities, many fellows were there to help him unload it. He made many friends among these people and wanted to show them his appreciation so he made a freezer full of ice cream and took it to his helpers and their families in Topaz. With war declared Calvin, the oldest son of Clarence and Abbie, wanted to join up and fight for his country's rights. Clarence knowing the hardships and bitter ugliness of war didn't want him drafted. He drove Calvin over to Fillmore, the county-seat, to join the Navy. He felt the Navy wouldn't face the severe battles of war. Calvin was color blind and was unable to make it into the regular Navy. He qualified however, for the building branch of the Navy known as the Sea Bees. Clarence walked to priesthood every Sunday morning with his two sons, Erwin a priest and Lynjust made a deacon. He was anxious for his sons to make advancements in the 16 .- priesthood when they came of age. Clarence, himself an Elder was ordained to the office of High Priest December 26, 1943. He was ordained by M. Ward Moody. He was pleased with his ordination into this priesthood quorum. Lola, Clarence's third daughter, had gone from Cedar City to train at the University of Utah and L.D.S. Hospital to be a nurse. She fmished her three years and graduated as a registered nurse. There was a great need for army nurses so she joined the army as a nurse ..Clarerrce was very proud of his lieutenant daughter. Clarence had spent many hours in an army hospital and greatly appreciated and respected the efforts of those nurses. In August 1945 the great war ended. The concentration camp at Topaz was dissolved and the people could again go to their homes. Clarence's son and daughter returned home. Clarence no longer ran the sugar factory farm out back. His main employment had been with the freight line during the war years. Now the war was over he continued to be employed by them. He still had cows, horses and pigs. These he kept in a corral he had built on his property at the back of the house just behind the railroad tracks. The same thing had kept him from buying the sugar factory farm behind his home as it had the other farms that he'd worked; he didn't have the down payment. Someone with the down payment came along and bought it. Clarence was grateful for the freight line job so he could support his growing family. Clarence had a pleasant singing voice. He would sit with one of the small children on his knee and sing while he rocked him or her. As he drove in the car or the truck delivering groceries to the outlying small towns he would whistle. Two songs seemed to be his favorite. "San Antonio, San Antonio, she hopped upon her pony and she rode away Tony. If you see her just let me know and I'll meet you in San Antonio." The other was Red Wing, "There once lived an Indian maid, a shy little prairie maid who sang a lay; a love song gay; as on the plain she whiles away the day. She loved a warrior bold, this shy little maid of old. But brave and gay he rode one day to battle far away. Now the moon shines tonight on pretty Red Wing, the breeze is sighing, the night birds crying, for a far 'neath his star her brave is sleeping, as Red Wing's weeping her heart away." A chance came for Clarence to buy a good used piano which was an old upright in very good condition. When the children learned to play even the simplest pieces, he would be delighted. He enjoyed music and often sang and listened to his children sing as they did the dishes. One song he requested that his daughter Nelda learned to play on the piano was "Nearer My God to Thee." Gyndel, Clarence's oldest was living in Tonopah, Nevada and had come home bringing her two sons on a visit. She received word that the bills were not paid and her husband could not be found. She left the boys with their grandparents and went back to settle the bills as best she could. Edward James Tureson was not heard from for many years after that. Gyndel and her sons James Michael and Darrel moved back to Delta to live with her folks. Clarence worked hard to make two of the four garages into living quarters for Gyn and the boys. She lived there until she could get a legal divorce for desertion. A C.C.C. fellow Gyn had met several years before came back to Delta and became reacquainted with her. He wanted to marry her, and on July 29, 1946 Grady Henry McEvoy and she were married. Clarence again gave the bride away. The wedding took place in the home with Bishop June Black conducting the ceremony: 17 • Clarence put in many hard hours working on the freight line with his boys helping him when they got home from school. It was not easy to lift and carry boxes from one truck to another or unload the boxes at the stores, and then at night also doing the bookkeeping work. An offer came for Clarence to go to work at a ranch out at Gandy. This was west of Delta about 80 miles out in the desert. He decided to take the job to get away from the tension of the freight line and because of the joy that came to him from working the land. It was while he was a Gandy that his daughter Beth graduated as valedictorian from the Branch Agriculture college at Cedar City, Utah. Clarence was able to get a leave from his job so the he and Abbie could go to Cedar City to hear her give her address at the graduation commencement. Abbie and Clarence were very proud, pleased parents. Clarence didn't work long at Gandy. The truck line wanted him to come back and work for them. He didn't really want to, but Abbie wanted him to. She needed his help in disciplining and caring for the six remaining youngsters at home and so Clarence returned to Delta to again work for the freight line. It was a thrill for Clarence when his son Erwin expressed a desire to go on a mission for the church. Erwin had graduated from high school in May 1947 and he decided that a mission was his next achievement. A desire he had had to go on a mission would be fulfilled by his son. Clarence immediately started saving money for this event although it was only possible to save small amounts at a time. When stake conference was held, Clarence went with Erwin when he was interviewed by one of the general authorities who was visiting at the stake. Gyndel and Mac (short for McEvoy), her husband, had an old army station wagon truck they had painted gray. They planned to go to the South in it to visit his folks and on to Florida to visit Aza. They felt they had plenty of room and encouraged Gyndel's mother to accompany them. Clarence wanted Abbie to go because he felt it would be nice for her take a trip and relax from her many responsibilities. She was gone during the month of June, 1947. The children, which consisted of Nelda, the five younger boys and little Zolet, stayed home and helped their father. Calvin was staying there while his wife was in Washington visiting her sister. Nelda was left to be in charge of doing the housework. Clarence was very thoughtful of his daughter. He consoled her when the family didn't like her cooking and when the bread wouldn't rise and had to be thrown out. He would praise and express words of appreciation for her efforts. During the time Abbie was away Clarence had severe headaches and often didn't feel well. He tried not to let the children know just how ill he was. He didn't want them to write to their mother and spoil her visit in the South with tales of his illness. It was a happy day for Clarence when Abbie arrived home. He and Erwin drove over to Nephi to meet her bus. On the way home Erwin did the driving while Clarence and Abbie sat in the back seat. Clarence reached over and took Abbie's hand saying over and over again, "Oh, I'm glad your home." It was only a short time later, perhaps a week or two, that Clarence fell unconscious with a stroke. Clarence was at work preparing to unload a semi-truck by winding the small wheels of the truck trailer down. As he raised up from doing this chore everything turned black and he fell unconscious to the ground. It was a struggle to get him into the house. His mental state would swing from rational to irrational. A doctor came, but he was not their doctor and didn't seem to know how to proceed. Nothing was done for Clarence except to try and keep him from going out 18 ,.A, and trying to work. When Doctor Bird, their family doctor came, he advised them to continue to keep him quiet. He was guided upstairs and put to bed. As he lay in bed he relived his army years in battle and did his freight line bookkeeping; hunting for missing recorders over and over again in his irrational state of mind. He could not be kept quiet. Lola came from her home in Cedar City for a few days to relieve her mother from the burden of meeting the demands of her sick husband. They decided to move him from the upstairs bedroom to Gyndel's and Mac's place half a block away where it was cooler. Abbie stayed both day and night with Clarence because he didn't want anyone else. It was only in his rational moments that others could relieve her. During a time when his mind was clear, Nelda went to sit with him and he told her that he had seen heavenly visitors. He said that his sister-in-law, Florence had visited him and she was very sad because her husband Ernest, his brother, hadn't been baptized and wasn't active in the church. She wanted Clarence to encourage Ernest to return to the church and become active . After this experience Clarence felt a great desire to see his brothers and encourage them to be active in the church. He had Abbie write each of them and ask them if they would please come to see him. Doctor Bird and the American Legion arranged for Clarence to go to the Veteran's Hospital in Salt Lake. Mr. Nichols' hearse acted as an ambulance to carry him up to Salt Lake. While he was in Salt Lake City, Clarence's brothers; Wesley, Mertillis, Ernest, Newell, Osmer and his sister, Juliette came to visit him. It was only about a week after Clarence was admitted into the hospital, that he left this life on August 9, 1947. His funeral was held in the Delta Second Ward on August 14th; this gave time for his daughter Aza to come from Florida. This is a report of the funeral services as written in the Salt Lake Tribune: ' CLARENCE PRESTWICH HONORED AT MILITARY FUNERAL • Funeral services for Clarence Prestwich, complete with military honors as he requested, were held in the Delta Second Ward Chapel, Thursday morning under the direction of Bishop June W. Black and Ward Spendlove, commander of the American Legion Arthur L. Cahoon Post 89. Ward Killpack, representing the legionnaires, read a brief sketch of the life of Mr. Prestwich and John Steele, uncle of Mrs. Prestwich spoke words of encouragement and comfort to the bereaved family. A reading, "He is Just Away" was given by Mrs. Louise Adams. Musical selections were a vocal duet, "Sometime We'll Understand" by Layton Bishop and Betty Turner; a solo "Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine" by Lee Ray McAllister, and a violin solo, "The Lord is My Shepherd" by Norma Hannifin. Ora Mae Bishop accompanied all the numbers on the piano. Bishop A.E. Stephenson gave the invocation and Bishop E.L. Lyman the benediction. The colors were advanced and retired before and after the services by the American Legion and Fenton Gardner and Carl Theobald, color bearers, and George Roundy and Elmer Hollingshead, color guards. Legionnaires George Cahoon, MJ Moody, Will Killpack, L.R. Johnson, Roy Hilton and Lamond Bunker performed the duties of pall bearers. The grave at Delta cemetery was dedicated by Harold R. Morris chaplain of the post and president of the Deseret Stake. He also made the presentation of the flag to Mrs. Prestwich. 19 -AI , Owen Gardner was in charge of the firing squad with Ward Killpack, Ben Robison, Wilber Franklin and Schyler Gardner it's members. Clarence didn't leave his family great worldly wealth, but he did leave them gifts that are eternal in their value. He left his family an honorable name and an honorable code of living. He taught them obedience and self discipline. No vulgarity was allowed in his home. He taught his children never to go into debt needlessly. He showed them that one must stay true to obligations made, no matter how difficult the assigned task was. He respected those in authority as well as his elders, his neighbors and friends and encouraged his children to do the same. He never chose his friends for personal gain but rather for their sincerity and willingness to show their true worth through their actions. Clarence impressed upon his family that talk was cheap and had little value if not coupled with sincere actions, or in the words of John, "Faith without works is dead." Through his sacrifices his children learned how to sacrifice for those they love. He lived a life that influenced for good his children and his posterity eternally . • 20

Clarence Prestwich From A Journey Through Moroni

Contributor: jodilu57 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

In Lehi, Utah on February twenty sixth in the year eighteen ninety two was born the eighth child of Julia Ann Draper Prestwich and George Prestwich. This was their fifth son, whom they called Clarence. Clarence’s youth was spent mostly in Lehi Utah. His father managed a small farm there. One day, while working on the farm, preparing the land for planting or harvesting, a lightening and thunder storm came. The lightening hit the machinery on which Clarence was sitting. He was knocked off unconscious. His mother thought he was dead. Many times after that his life was spared. In 1903, when Clarence was 11, He and his family moved to Lincoln Idaho. When he finished grammar school, he went back to Lehi to finish his education. He lived with his sister Juliett and brother-in -law Eli Fox, working on the farm to earn his keep. After two years of school there he returned to Idaho Falls to work. Ernest, Clarence's older brother invited him to work with him at Delta, Utah. They worked for the Sterns and Rogers sugar factory. Clarence's job was to be an overseer of city boys of eleven to thirteen years in ages. They lived in tents on the farms and their main duty was to thin the beets. The Hub Mercantile was were they did their shopping. It was there he met Abigail Steele, she was the cute little clerk that waited on him. He courted Abbie and asked her to marry him. They were married August 29th, 1917 in the Salt Lake Temple by Joseph Fielding Smith. None of their family was in attendance at the marriage. They took a honeymoon to Lincoln Idaho where Clarence introduced his bride to his parents. It was while they were there that a telegram came from Abbie's father saying that Clarence needed to report in Salt lake October 4th 1917 to leave for the army. The country was in war. They took the train back to Salt Lake. Getting off one train bidding his crying bride good-by he boarded the other train. Clarence was assigned to the 119th field artillery at Fort Lewis. After training there he was sent to Camp Kearney the shipping out point for Europe. Shortly after Christmas his artillery division was shipped to Europe. He was station in France where the 119th artillery division' orders were to proceed from the Soissons front to the fighting front lines located in the Argonne Woods. At one of the silent intervals of the fighting Clarence received word of his first child's birth, a daughter, to be name Clara Gyndel. At another time, while on the move, a call came from a women's voice "Move to the side of the road." Looking to see whom it might have been, Clarence saw Julia, his sister-in law who had past through this earthly veil. Again she called "Move the side of the road." This time all the fellows with him heard the call. They moved quickly. On the very spot where they had been, a shell fell, exploding into flying pieces of metal. While at the Argonne Front Clarence was wounded by a piece of shrapnel. It was driven into his right shoulder on Oct 29, 1918. He left for home on a hospital ship. As they faced the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor he said. "You will have to do right about face before I will ever face you again." He didn’t intend to go East again. The news that greeted them as they entered New York Harbor was "The Armistice has been signed”. The war was over. Clarence was sent to Des Moines Iowa for treatment. After spending Christmas at home, and being able to put the temple garment back on, he knew that his shoulder would heal faster. He then put in to be moved to Fort Douglas. He was discharged May 29th, 1919. Clarence couldn't find employment in Delta, after his discharge so he moved his family to Idaho Falls and worked at the sugar company there for about 4 years then went back down to the Delta Utah area where he rented farms and raised sugar beets. He enjoyed working the land. Except for his second child, Aza, who was borne in Lincoln Idaho all of his children were borne in the Delta area. He was a pleased father of 12 children. His great love for his family was shown in his continued initiative and struggle to provide for their needs. In 1933 with a small compensation for his army service Clarence was able to put a down payment on a home. What a joy to the family to have a home of their own. That same year shortly after moving in to their new home sadness came to the family. Dale, the sixth child was run over and killed by a run away team of horses, June 30th 1933. Clarence's mother, Julia, died in August of 1935. His Aunt Sally harassed his father, George, to get the sealing work done, for they had not been married in the temple. Clarence's father, George Prestwich came to stay with him and from Delta went to the Manti temple and had that sealing work done on September 24, 1935. Aunt Sally, Lauretta Tidwell, acted as proxy for Clarence's mother. Clarence and Juliette his older sister was sealed to their parents at that time. Clarence's father died May 11, 1937, in Salt Lake City, Utah. Clarence enjoyed his children. He worked with them but also played with them. He would help them tumble out on the lawn, take them on picnics, and went to the dances with the teenagers. He was a good dancer and his daughters liked to dance with him. As his children dated he would expect them to be home at the appointed time. He often enjoyed the evenings around the dinning room table playing games with the family. When his children participated in any school active he tried to support them by being there. In about 1943 Clarence started working for the Salt Lake Delta Fright line delivering things shipped on it. This was during the time of the Second World War. The Japanese, from the west coast, had been put into a concentration camp, called Topaz, which was many miles west of Delta, out in the desert. Clarence would deliver things to the Japanese people there. He felt sorry for them, for most of them were loyal Americans. He made many friends among them. During World War Two, Calvin his oldest son joined the Seabees, and his daughter Lola became an army nurse. He was pleased to walk with them in their uniforms when they came home on leave. While working on the fright line winding the small wheels of a trailer down. Clarence had a stroke. His family cared for him at home as best they could. While he lay ill Florence, a deceased sister-in law, come to him with concern for her husband, Ernest. He had not been baptized into the Church. She wanted Clarence to encourage Ernest to get his work done. Clarence then felt a great need to see his brothers and encourage them to be active in the church. Abbie wrote to each of them. Before they came, his condition became worse so arrangements were made for Clarence to be taken to the Veterans hospital in Salt Lake City. His brothers, Wesley, Mertillis, Ernest, Newell, Osmer and his sister Juliette came to visit him there. It was about a week later that Abbie was summons from her home in Delta to Salt Lake City. Clarence was unconscious when she got there and never regained consciousness. He died about a half hour after her arrival. Clarence died on the 9th of August 1947. He was buried August 14th 1947 at the Delta Cemetery, Delta, Millard, Utah.

Life timeline of Clarence Prestwich

Clarence Prestwich was born on 26 Feb 1892
Clarence Prestwich was 14 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
See More
Clarence Prestwich was 20 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
See More
Clarence Prestwich was 28 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
See More
Clarence Prestwich was 48 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Clarence Prestwich died on 9 Aug 1947 at the age of 55
Grave record for Clarence Prestwich (26 Feb 1892 - 9 Aug 1947), BillionGraves Record 5270611 Delta, Millard, Utah, United States