Clarence E Flygare

15 Jun 1894 - 3 Apr 1927

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Clarence E Flygare

15 Jun 1894 - 3 Apr 1927
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

FLYGARE FAMILY REUNION June 23, 1990 Uncle Kenneth Flygare’s Remarks I was asked to tell a little bit about Mother and Father. Susan asked if I knew how they fell in love. No, I don’t, just only the same way I did; I just saw someone who tickled my heart, and I thought it would be good to stay c
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Clarence E Flygare
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Clarence E Flygare


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 1, 2011

Provo City Cemetery

January 1, 1970

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Clarence E...

We found more records about Clarence E Flygare.

Grave Site of Clarence E


Clarence E Flygare is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Uncle Kenneth's (Flygare) Remarks from Flygare Family Reunion - June 23, 1990

Contributor: JFerns Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

FLYGARE FAMILY REUNION June 23, 1990 Uncle Kenneth Flygare’s Remarks I was asked to tell a little bit about Mother and Father. Susan asked if I knew how they fell in love. No, I don’t, just only the same way I did; I just saw someone who tickled my heart, and I thought it would be good to stay close to her, so she could tickle it some more. Father was born over in Lund, Sweden. Father’s mother and her husband were the first people who joined the LDS Church in their community. But whether it was because of pressure of the people who were criticizing the LDS people or whether it was something {else} Grandmother Marie couldn’t put up with, but she and one of her daughters, Anna Mathilda, came over to America several years before Father did. Father was left there, Father and a brother and his father were left in Sweden. Father was working for a fellow, a farmer, who told him he’d be glad to pay him $20.00 a year and board and keep if he’d come and work for him on the farm. Father was of course, quite a young fellow, but he accepted with pleasure, he was glad to have something to do. He often told us about how he’d get up early in the morning, he said 3:00, but that sounded kinda early to me. They’d go out and brush the horses and feed them, and then go in and get a scanty, that’s the way he put it, a scanty breakfast. Then they would go harness up the horses and hitch them to a wagon. The farmer by the way, who ran a lumber yard, had a lumber mill, and Father would take the team and the wagon and go to the forest or the canyon, wherever he went. I don’t know where he went to get the lumber, and while he was having his lunch, the farmers would fill the wagon with lumber and then he’d take it back. And he always mentioned having a scanty meal. Then he’d drive the team back home and then he’d take care of the horses and then go in and get a scanty supper and then go to bed. He did this for 2½ years. During the meantime though, he must have had some schooling, because Father was quite a fluent reader and he enjoyed studying. So we believe, even though he didn’t talk very much about schoolwork, we believe he had a lot of schooling. After he came to the United States he went to the BY Academy to night school for quite some time. The Academy at that time was down on 2nd West and Center Street in Provo, behind the old Farmers and Merchants Bank Building. When Father was 17 he wanted to come to America. He saved up some money to pay his passage, and the LDS people who assisted the immigrants to come over, they bought him a suit and Father had saved money from working on the farm and he bought himself two suits of clothes and some odds and ends, and got him a good suit and then one for second best. But when he got to the customs the fellows at the immigration station took his best suit. He said, “How come they took that suit?” And they told him it was to help pay the passage. He said, “My passage has already been paid for.” They told him there wasn’t enough, so anyway Father was quite upset. He said if it hadn’t been that he had a testimony of the Gospel, and loved the Lord Jesus Christ, he would never had come to America. Father came over to America and he did some work for the captain of the ship, and he earned and saved some money, and when he got to Denver, I don’t know how he got to Denver, I don’t believe he walked though, but whether he hitched his way or how he got to Denver, but he got a job with the railroad people as a carpenter. He earned enough money and got himself to Soldier Summit and from there he came to Provo and got another job with the railroad that took him to Salt Lake and up to Ogden and over to Rush Valley. But he came back to Provo and decided he’d stay there with his mother. He’d found his mother and she was living in a home between 3rd and 4th South on 7th West, and he lived with her. Someone said tell us about how Father and Mother fell in love. Well, I don’t know exactly the home that Grandmother Marie lived in, but Grandmother Peay lived on 6th West and 5th South, and Grandmother Marie lived on the next block and south a way. I don’t know how many homes. But anyway Oscar was living with his mother and he would go up and head south and there was a little blue eyed girl with blonde hair that kinda enjoyed seeing him go walking up and down the street. Anyway she found out a little bit about him, and so whenever she would look out the window and see him coming up the street, she’d take the rugs from the floor out on the porch and shake them as he was passing. I don’t know whether she made noise or what, but anyway, she drew his attention, and eventually they started talking and they had a date. Mother was very thrilled at having a date with him because she really thought he was a fine fellow. Grandfather Peay was an athlete, he loved sports, and he was on the Provo baseball team. He and mother both loved music. Mother belonged to the Provo Tabernacle Choir, and she sant in the Provo Tabernacle. Grandfather liked sports, and as I said he liked baseball,and he belonged to the Provo Baseball Club. He enjoyed that very much. He’d go fishing and he enjoyed sports very much. The time came when Oscar asked Edward if it would be alright if he made plans for their future to get married. Edward seemed to think it was alright. I think Grandfather Edward Peay thought quite a bit of Oscar because Oscar bought a lot from him so that they could build a home, and it helped Edward in paying his missionary expense. He was called on a mission to England. Father and Mother were married in the Manti Temple. You know Manti doesn’t seem too far away today, but then it took three days to go there and back. They’d go from Provo to Nephi by train, and from Nephi over to Ephraim by train, and then by stagecoach to Manti. It took the biggest part of three days to make the trip down there and back. Elder T. H. Wells married them in the Temple, pronounced the ceremony and then he came back to Provo with the same party that Mother and Father were in. They lived in Provo between 3rd and 4th South on 8th West for sometime, then they bought a quarter acre lot on 8th West and 1st North and built a new brick home. I don’t know how Dad ever did it, darned if I do. Because you know those were hard times, they didn’t have very much money, and they paid cash for everything. Then in 1910 they bought a 62 acre farm out in Lakeview for $10,000.00. There were two houses on it. When the children started to come, Edith was the first one, she just lived a short while, and passed away, then Bill was the next one born, Oscar William Jr., and then Clarence Edward was the next child and then Mary Lavern was the next one, Ethel was the next, Thelma Melvina was the next and then yours truly came along, and then Mother had twins after I was born, a boy and a girl, Ralph and Lucile. The boy lived but just a few weeks. Lucille became my partner, she died on her 9th birthday. {Correction: Lucile died on January 5, 1918. She was 8 ½ years old. Her death certificate lists acute endocarditis, rheumatism and chorea - St. Vitus Dance - as the cause of death.} She was one grand companion. I could never ask for anyone to be more loyal or a better companion than she was. She was a wonderful girl. She died of St. Vitus Dance, arthritic condition and rheumatism. She choked to death. I’ll tell you, I’ll never forget the night she passed away. Me laying in the bed and hearing her choking, and there wasn’t anything the folks could do about it. Out on the farm Bill had married Bertha Chamberlain, and they lived on the south 31 acres of ground, and Clarence who had married Vivian Allen, they lived in the north home. We were living in Provo by then on 810 West on 1st South. Bill decided he didn’t want to live on the farm anymore, he could make more money working for wages than he could working on the farm. So Father leased the ground to some Greeks, and they didn’t take very good care of the farm. By the way, the family had developed a dairy herd. They had 40 to 45 cows they were milking every night and morning. They gathered their own cream, and they churned twice a week, they churned from 40 to 45 pounds of butter twice a week. I was the boy who drove the cattle to the pasture and back. After Bill moved from the farm and the Greeks took over and Father couldn’t let them run it any longer, he told them they would have to move and we moved back on the farm. At that time Father was master mechanic at the Knight Woolen Mills and Jesse M. Knight couldn’t stand for Father to resign and quit the mill and go back to working on the farm, so he made several trips out to the farm trying to get Father to leave the farm and come back to work. Eventually he did. Father sold the south half to some Deacons fellow and Clarence he decided he wanted to go to work for wates also. We moved back, we moved from Provo to the farm three different times. But the last time was when Mother had the twins. Her health wasn’t very good, but she received a Priesthood blessing and the Lord blessed her with health and strength and she got better. But she was never her own real self again. We moved back to Provo between 6th and 7th West on 1st North. The story goes, that Father lost everything he had, but he didn’t. He had his stock in the Ollander Mfg. Co., and he sold part of that and he had some stock otherwise. But, anyway, they did lose practically everything they had and they lived there on 1st North until they bought their home at 737 West on 1st North, and they lived there until, well, for quite some time. I was reading some of the history the other day, there’s one thing about tithing. At Father’s funeral, I well remember the Bishop calling on some of the speakers, and this one said Oscar wasn’t the highest paid man in the ward, but he was the highest tithe payer in the ward. And I thought that was quite a compliment. One time after we were married, Mirium and I, we needed some money and I told Father about it, and Father said, “Why don’t you go to the bank?” I said that the bank wouldn’t lend me any money because I didn’t have a credit rating. He said, “Well, you could ask them couldn’t you?” I believe he must have called them because when I went in and asked to borrow $200.00, he gave me a lecture on good credit, and said, “Kenneth, if you build your credit rating half as good as your father, you’ll be a success in life.” And he said, “Your father can come in here and ask for anything, it wouldn’t matter what he asked for, because we know that he wouldn’t ask for something that he couldn’t take care of.” And I always thought that was quite a good statement. I couldn’t have asked anyone to say anything better about my Dad. Father was a staunch LDS man, even though he was a 10% tithe payer, he was more than 100%, because he was on the missionary committee and the finance committee in the old Pioneer Ward. By the way, he also belonged to the prayer circle. Today they don’t have prayer circles in the different individual wards, but they did at that time, and Father always made sure he attended the prayer circle every Sunday morning. They would put on their temple clothes and go up to the prayer circle room, it was a room over the dome of the auditorium in the Pioneer Ward. Father was a good man, and he was a good Latter Day Saint. Oh, I was going to say, he was a good tithe payer, but he couldn’t keep the Word of Wisdom. He liked the cigar. And, I’ll never forget I was sitting in the kitchen one day, sitting there by the coal range, and there was a cigar on the warming oven, and I said, “Mother, Dad forgot his cigar.” And she said, “No, he didn’t. He took it out and laid it up there because that’s the last one he’s going to smoke.” The reason why he quit was because the night before, they had come and asked Thelma if she would like to go on a mission. They sent her to the Northern States Mission. Father said if she was willing to sacrifice her time and energy to be on a mission, he’d do his part and he’d quit using tobacco. And that was the last time Father ever used any of it. And I believe that when Father passed away, the reason of his death was that he had a cancer develop on the upper lip, right where he’d carry that cigar. Several times Father said after he quit smoking, he’d be walking downtown, and he’d kinda come to, and he’d say, “Where you going, Oscar?” And he’d decide he was going down after a cigar. But he couldn’t get a cigar because he’d quit smoking. But he’d go down and buy a bag of hard tack and suck on it, and that would help him overcome the tobacco habit. I’m sure that he’s mighty proud of all you people. This has been a wonderful day. I’m glad we came. I just hope the next time we have a bigger crowd, not that I want to speak, but I congratulate all of you. And I want to tell you because of my experience in living, because of the blessings that I have seen pronounced upon people’s heads and the fulfillment of them, I’m sure if there’s anything I know, it’s that 99% of you are of the House of Israel, and are of the seed of Ephraim. There isn’t anything you can ask for in righteousness, but that God would tell the Holy Ghost to see that you had all the assistance you needed to get those things you stood in need of, or wanted. And I’m sure of this. I believe that with all my heart, that there’s nothing that you can’t have in this life, in righteousness, that would be for your good, but what you can’t have it, because all blessings are predicated upon law, and if any blessing you want in life, that you explain in your prayers and tell your Father in Heaven what you want, and have an understanding that you have fulfilled the law upon which that blessing is predicated, even God, himself, can’t stop it from coming to you. I know that. So, there’s nothing that we can desire in life, that would be for our good, but what we can’t have it if we’ll pay the price. The Lord bless you all. I love you. Thanks for coming.

Life timeline of Clarence E Flygare

Clarence E Flygare was born on 15 Jun 1894
Clarence E Flygare was 10 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Clarence E Flygare was 18 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Clarence E Flygare died on 3 Apr 1927 at the age of 32
Grave record for Clarence E Flygare (15 Jun 1894 - 3 Apr 1927), BillionGraves Record 6507 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States