Clarence D Hope

1904 - 2004

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Clarence D Hope

1904 - 2004
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

written by his children Dad was born June 2, 1904, to James and Fannie Higley Hope at Salem, Idaho. He has 5 sister: Elzada, Florence, Annabelle, Jennie, Hattie and 3 brothers: Eli, John and William. Dad was the 7th Child and the last one to pass on. Dad grew up on a farm west of Sugar City, Idaho.
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Clarence D Hope
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Clarence D Hope


Rexburg Cemetery

312 Cemetery Rd
Rexburg, Madison, Idaho
United States


August 9, 2011


August 8, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Clarence D...

We found more records about Clarence D Hope.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Clarence D


Clarence D Hope is buried in the Rexburg Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Clarence Dewey Hope

Contributor: Pieinthesky Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

written by his children Dad was born June 2, 1904, to James and Fannie Higley Hope at Salem, Idaho. He has 5 sister: Elzada, Florence, Annabelle, Jennie, Hattie and 3 brothers: Eli, John and William. Dad was the 7th Child and the last one to pass on. Dad grew up on a farm west of Sugar City, Idaho. When he was eight years of age he was baptized in a ditch of cold water. He went to school at Sugar City and tells about the cold winters and how cold it was walking to school. However, when it was very, very cold his father would take them in a wagon or sleigh. He was taught to work and learned to enjoy farming. He helped milk cows each morning before and again after school. He enjoyed school but, with chores and other work, there wasn’t enough time for study or for recreation. Even at that, he tells about the good times he had with his friends. David withers and Loren and Joe Ball and dad’s brother Bill played the game “Old Sow”. Dad loved to walk to the store. Sometimes he rode the horse to buy treats. He would take eggs to the store to trade for things his mother needed. He helped his dad on the farm until he was 18 at which time he started working for other farmers. Dad did his dating with a horse and buggy. He met his sweetheart Zella when he went with a friend to her house one afternoon. That started their courtship and, most of all, They enjoyed dancing together. Their courtship lasted about two years during which time dad worked off and on for Grandpa Keppner helping with the harvest and other work. On Oct. 15th 1924 Dad married his sweetheart Zella Keppner in the Salt Lake Temple. They bought 80 acres in Burton. On this place was a little house with a lot of sagebrush. Dad worked hard to make the 80 acres a farm and more ground was bought. It grew to be 600 acres. This is where some of the children were raised. There were 7 boys – Lennis, Lauris, LeRoy, Elden, Darrell, LaVere, and Sylverus and 4 girls – Rozella, Laura, Phyllis, and Marie. Dad built on to the little house as more space was needed. Most of us remember, at a young age, Dad and the boys digging under the house and carrying the dirt out in buckets to make a furnace room. We were all happy about that because we shouldn’t have to bring in as much wood. The wood bax was always full, though, because every time us kids giggled at the table while eating Dad would send us out to bring in an arm full of wood. We are very sure LeRoy brought in the most wood. Dad really enjoyed his family. We can all remember the times of hard work and a lot of fun times. There were fishing trips and picnics in the fields. Many times Mother would fix lunches and take them to the field so Dad and the boys wouldn’t have to take time to come to the house to eat. We all remember the white dish towel that Mother would hang on the clothesline which told Dad that dinner was ready or that it was time to listen to Gabriel Heater and get the news. Lennis and Lauris were in the Navy in World War II and Dad followed the news every day. We all remember the good times we had, after a hard day’s work, playing with Dad on the floor. We wore out many carpets having a lot of family fun and storing up good memories. It wouldn’t be winter without the story times around the kitchen table. Some were true and some were made up. Dad was a good story teller, and then to finish the evening, Mother would pop corn (It’s a Hope tradition). She always had some peanuts and candy that she stored up for these special occasions. Dad worked hard for his little family of 13. He would tell everyone that he had 11 children so he and Mom had to work all day and night. He tells about herding sheep out on the range. He told us about how close he came to dying from the lack of water. They turned over rocks and sucked the moisture from them. They came upon a small patch of snow which they thought waved their lives. He got thirsty just telling about running out of water when he was with his sheep many miles from home. He said the good Lord helped them all to get through this hard time. We remember Dad and Mom picking through cull potatoes for enough to sell to buy himself a pair of work shoes. He told us that without the help and love of Mother, they would never have made it through the hard times that they did. We all remember the good times with Grandpa Keppner and the help that he was to us. Grandpa and Grandma Hop passed away when we were all young. Dad taught us all to be honest and to do our best with whatever job we were asked to do. He was always there to give us advice (whether we took it or not), we knew Dad loved us. He spent all of his life trying to do just the right things to teach us and help us all. We were having Family Home Evening long before the program was put out by the church. (I think Dad invented it) Dad would travel many miles to where we lived to give us the help and support that we needed. All we had to do was to call and he was there for us. When Grandpa Keppner passed away, Dad and Mom inherited a large building in Rexberg. In that building were several businesses which Dad then became the owner of. This included a bowling alley, a bakery, a cleaners, an ice cream parlor and a restaurant called the Hope Café. LeRoy managed the bowling alley for Grandpa and for Dad. After a few years of successful operation of all of these businesses, Dad sold them and bought a farm at Kilgore, Idaho. Lennis, Lauris, LeRoy and Elden were married when Dad and Mom and the boys decided to get together and buy farms close to each other so they could work together. Dad then sold the Burton farm and the Kilgore farm in 1951 in order to buy farms at Darlington, Idaho with the boys. Rozella and Laura were also married by that time and soon found their way there, too, to be with the family. Dad and Mom were so happy to have all of their family living close to them. Dad loved people and enjoyed talking with them about religion. He had many church callings and took pride in serving the Lord. The family stayed at Lost River until 1962. Mother passed away March 24, of the year and Dad’s life fell apart. One by one the family members moved away. Phyllis and her husband, Leon Powell, still live in Moore Idaho. Dad was very proud of his grand children, his great grand children and great-great grand children. They loved to come and see him and they could always get him to dance with them. He really looked forward to family reunions. He has 62 grand children, 168 great grand children and 39 great-great grand children and counting. They love him very much. Dad moved to Syringa Assistant Living Hime on 1st Street in Idaho Falles, Idaho in Oct. 2001. Family members visited him often and he really enjoyed the company. He always looked forward to the next visits. Those around loved him. He enjoyed talking to them about the gospel and he brought joy and happiness into their lives. Dads mind was very good up to the end and no one could believe that he was a old as he said he was. They would ask are you sure? He would answer that’s what my mother told me. He never liked the thought of using a walker or a cane. He said that they were for old folks. Dad married: Myrtle Richards June 15, 1963 Bernice Arave April 18, 1987 Mary Moore Jan. 9, 1993 They all preceded him in death. He was also preceded in death by Mom, Lauris, and Darrell Hope, grand children Roger K. Hope and Berdett Elden Hope, Great Grand children Brandon Kent Powell and Matthew Jong Weekes. His first assignment at the age of 21 years was a Sunday School teacher. He was a Scout Master for 10 years and was president of the Young Men M.I.A. Apostle Ballard ordained him a Seventy. He was a Stake Missionary, then Stake Missionary President. In 1937 Dad and Mom took a class to the Salt Lake Temple to do baptisms. In 1938 they took a class to the Canada Temple to do Endowments and Baptisms. LaVere was only four months old at that time, so Mom took him with them. Dad was ordained a High Priest by Apostle Spencer W. Kimball. He was on the Stake Sunday School Board. He was First Counselor to Bishop Ben Summers at Burton. Then he moved from Burton to the Lost River Valley where he taught a Sunday School class in the Leslie Ward. He worked on the Scout Committee and became the director chairman for the Scouts. He was called to the High Council of the Lost River Stake where he worked with the Stake Primary Presidency and the Stake Sunday School. He audited ward books. He moved to St. Anthony, Idaho where he taught Sunday School and the Temple project class. He was the instructor for the High Priest Group and a Ward Home Teacher. He was set apart to officiate in the Idaho Falls Temple. He was very active in community affairs and held several positions in school and business organizations. A school trustee at Burton – Stockholder and Director for the Rexburg Livestock Auction Company – Stockholder in the Rexburg Co-op and the Rexburg Creamery – Stockholder and director of the Idaho Potato Company – Stockholder and Director for the Lost River Co-op – Director for the Soul Conservation at Lost River – Director for the Darlington Canal Company – Director and Stockholder for the Farm Bureau. Dad loved playing Santa Claus at the Burton Ward Christmas dance the day before Christmas and the last number that was played was jingle bells. At that time Santa would come bouncing in ringing bells which he had around his waist and one tied around each ankle. His oun children, being quite young, didn’t realize who the Santa actually was. He would dance around picking up the little kids and throwing us up into the air and dancing around with us. He loved playing with us and tickling us. This continued with the grand kids and he became known as their tickling grandpa. They loved it and always came back for more. Many years ago dad started drawing and painting. He said he was just passing the time away. But this time produced many lovely pictures. Later he became interested in making baskets and picture frames from pieces of wood sawed out by his sons LaVere and Sylverus. This was something he really enjoyed doing and took pride in. All of us as family and many friends have his handiwork in our homes. Dad’s mind has always been good. We loved to hear stories and all about his life when he was young. The grand kids loved to visit him to hear the stories and jokes he would tell them. He loved us all so very much and enjoyed every visit he had with his family and friends. The time came when Dad needed more love and care. On April 2, 2004, we moved him back to Laura’s home in Rigby so the family could give the constant and loving care that he needed. Dad always showed his appreciation for all we did for him. He always said “Thank you” and “I love you”. His mind was good up to the very last. In our younger years Dad and Mom took us four girls on a trip to Seattle, Washington and then on to Canada, traveling back to Montana, sleeping overnight in sleeping bags and having a wonderful time. A few years later Dad sold one of his cows for eighty five dollars and he and Mom wanted to take us girls on a trip to his sister, Elzada’s, fiftieth wedding anniversary which was being held at Oceanside, California. We spent many happy days together which will be remembered forever. (And, yes, Dad said that the eighty five dollars was just enough for the trip and was very well spent.) On May 9, 2004, just twenty four days before his one hundredth birthday, Dad quietly passed away to be with his sweetheart, Zella (our mother), other loved ones and his Heavenly Father.

Clarence Dewey Hope - Obit

Contributor: Pieinthesky Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

From Find A Grave: by Judy - May 19,2004 Clarence Dewey Hope, 99, of Rigby, died at his daughter’s home in Rigby Sunday, May 9, 2004. Clarence was born June 2, 1904 at Sugar Salem, Idaho, a son of James Hope and Fannie Elzada Higley Hope. He attended schools at Salem, Idaho. He married Zella Keppner October 15, 1924 in the Salt Lake City, Utah LDS Temple. He was a cattle rancher throughout his life, owning ranches in Burton, Kilgore and Darlington. He also owned Hopes Cafe, Bowling Alley, Ice Cream Parlor, Cleaners and Auction Yard in Rexburg. He served on the Madison School Board. He was an active member of the LDS Church and served as a member of a bishopric, stake mission president and stake missionary, stake Sunday School board, taught Sunday School, president of the Young Men’s MIA, a ward auditor, High Priest instructor, taught the project temple class, home teacher and as an officiator at the Idaho Falls LDS Temple. He served as scoutmaster for 10 years, on the scout committee and as the scout committee chairman. He was a great family man who loved his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. From Arco Advertiser May 13, 2004. Be sure to click on the photos at the right and scroll down for clearer images.He is survived by four daughters, Rozella (Chuck) McHenry of Billings, Montana, Laura Huffaker of Rigby, Marie (Clyde) Huffaker of Nampa and Phyllis (Leon) Powell of Moore, Idaho.; five sons, Lennis (Verla) Hope of Moses Lake, Washington, LeRoy (Maxine) H. He is survived by four daughters, Rozella (Chuck) McHenry of Billings, Montana, Laura Huffaker of Rigby, Marie (Clyde) Huffaker of Nampa and Phyllis (Leon) Powell of Moore, Idaho.; five sons, Lennis (Verla) Hope of Moses Lake, Washington, LeRoy (Maxine) Hope of Idaho Falls, Idaho, Elden (Joan) Hope of Shelley, Idaho, LaVere Hope of Idaho Falls, and Sylverus (Paula) Hope of Rexburg, Idaho; 62 grandchildren, 167 great grandchildren, 39 great-great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, wife Zella, two sons, Lauris and Darrell, two grandchildren, Berdett and Roger, two great grandchildren, Matt Weeks and Brandon Kent Powell; three brothers, Eli, John and William; five sisters, Elzada Gifford, Florence Hammer, Annabelle White, Jennie Hope and Hattie Lee. Services will be held Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 11:00 a.m. at the Rigby 1st Ward LDS Chapel with Bishop Richard L. Sterzer officiating. The family will visit with friends on Wednesday at Eckersell Memorial Chapel from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. and on Thursday at the church from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. Burial will be in the Rexburg Cemetery under the direction of Eckersell Memorial Chapel in Rigby.

Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: Pieinthesky Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I didn't spend much time with my Great Grandfather but I do remember him being at my baptism and helping confirm me as a member of the church. I also remember him dancing at family reunions. He was always so active and into country dancing.

Life timeline of Clarence D Hope

Clarence D Hope was born in 1904
Clarence D Hope was 8 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Clarence D Hope was 25 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Clarence D Hope was 26 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Clarence D Hope was 41 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Clarence D Hope was 49 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Clarence D Hope was 60 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Clarence D Hope was 69 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Clarence D Hope was 78 years old when Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all time, was released. Michael Joseph Jackson was an American singer, songwriter, and dancer. Dubbed the "King of Pop", he was one of the most popular entertainers in the world, and was the best-selling music artist during the year of his death. Jackson's contributions to music, dance, and fashion along with his publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.
Clarence D Hope was 95 years old when Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado. The Columbine High School massacre was a school shooting that occurred on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School in Columbine, an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado, United States, in the Denver metropolitan area. In addition to the shootings, the complex and highly planned attack involved a fire bomb to divert firefighters, propane tanks converted to bombs placed in the cafeteria, 99 explosive devices, and car bombs. The perpetrators, senior students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher. They injured 21 additional people, and three more were injured while attempting to escape the school. The pair subsequently committed suicide.
Clarence D Hope died in 2004 at the age of 100
Grave record for Clarence D Hope (1904 - 2004), BillionGraves Record 96787 Rexburg, Madison, Idaho, United States