Pvt Charles Erastus Allen

1893 - 1980


Pvt Charles Erastus Allen

1893 - 1980
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Pvt Charles Erastus Allen (1893 - 1980) at St George City Cemetery in St George, Washington, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Pvt Charles Erastus Allen
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Pvt Charles Erastus Allen


St George City Cemetery

2-98 S 700 E
St George, Washington, Utah
United States

Headstone Description



March 31, 2012


March 27, 2012

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Charles Erastus...

We found more records about Pvt Charles Erastus Allen.

Grave Site of Charles Erastus


Pvt Charles Erastus Allen is buried in the St George City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of Leeds Mercantile

Contributor: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

30 N. Main Street Leeds, UT 84746 HISTORY William Barbee operated a little store called the Barbee Mercantile at the place where Emil Graff later built the Leeds Mercantile. Emil J. Graff owned different businesses and a large amount of land between Hurricane and Cove Fort. He started the Leeds Mercantile. Walter & Jesse Eagar came to Leeds in the fall of 1928 to become managers of Leeds Mercantile. They struggled to make a living through the Great Depression and finally gave in up in 1932. In 1932, Charles & Kate Allen decided to trade their home to E. J. Graff for the Leeds Mercantile. They had living quarters in the back of the store and raised two children there: Alene and Stewart. Kate was the main person running the store until she had a heart attack in 1960 and her health began to fail. Then Alma Weeks ran the store for her. Kate died in September of 1961 and Alma continued running the store. William & Ethel Lackner bought the store from Charles Allen in April of 1964. Roger & Marsha Ruesch bought the store from the Lackners on March 8, 1971. Bob & Pat Williams took over the store on November 1, 1973. Sometime later, Rex Marx bought the store from the Williams. They only had the store for about a year. Veannetta Laub rented the store from Rex Marx. But she couldn't make ends meet, so she also became the Leeds postmistress. The two things turned out to be to much for her, so she gave up the post office. Veannetta moved her little store to the new Carl Howard Shopping Center. Not long after that, she went out of business entirely. The building is currently used for the Bric-A-Brac Shoppe, a consignment shop for antiques and collectables.

Memories of my Grandparents

Contributor: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Memories of my grandparents, Charles Erastus Allen and Kate Alene Spendlove Allen By William Dee Cuff Charles Erastus Allen was born on 29 April 1893 in Orderville, Kane, Utah.The following information is taken from Utah Department of Administrative Services, Division of Archives and Records Service, about the settling of Orderville: “Orderville, settled in March 1875, was the most successful and longest-lived united order community established during the united order movement promoted by Brigham Young in the 1870s. As part of this experiment in communal living, Young organized orders in many Southern Utah communities including Kanab and Mt. Carmel in Kane County. When these orders floundered for lack of unity, members who were anxious to continue the experiment selected a new site and established a new community especially dedicated to the establishment of a united order. Members of Orderville's order not only owned all things in common, but for several years ate in a common dining hall where food was served from a common kitchen. Orderville's united order initially prospered, but challenges arose during the decade of the 1880s and the order was discontinued in 1890. Orderville became an incorporated town in 1935.” Grandpa Allen was born three years after the United Order was discontinued to Erastus Snow Peter Allen and Mary Amanda Sapp. He lived there until the winter of 1923-24. I know this because my mother told me that she was born in Orderville but moved to Hurricane when she was just a few months old. I assume they moved sometime during the winter of 23/24 because my mother told me that she was less than a year old and that it was during a rather nasty winter storm. In the midst of falling snow, my grandparents loaded up a wagon, bundled up their tiny daughter, and traveled from Orderville over the mountain to Hurricane to make their home. Kate Alene Spendlove (Grandma Allen) was born on 4 November 1900 in Virgin, Washington, Utah, the daughter of Lorenzo James Spendlove and Ellen Elizabeth Isom. My mother (their daughter) took her given name from the middle name of Grandma Allen. They were married in the St. George Temple on 28 March 1922. He was 29 years old, and she was 21. I am not sure how or when they met. It was probably sometime after he returned from fighting in World War I as she was eight years his junior. I have two pictures of Grandpa Allen dressed in his Army uniform. He was drafted into the Army in 1917. His draft registration card provides some interesting points: He was employed in Glendale, Utah, (a short distance from Orderville) by a man by the name of John H. Watson as a sheepherder. It also noted that “his father [is] able to care for family.” Two years after they moved to Hurricane, Stewart S. was born. The Allen's moved from Hurricane to Leeds when they traded their home in Hurricane for the Leeds Mercantile store in Leeds. The store had living quarters in the back of the store. I recall that there was an old lady named Libby (I can’t remember her last name) who lived in Leeds. She would often come to the store. She lived all by herself in an old-looking house and seemed rather odd and perhaps suffered from being mentally ill. My mother told me a story about an encounter she had with Libby when my mother was a young girl and was minding the store. My grandmother had told my mother that if Libby ever came into the store that my mother was to keep an eye on her for fear that she would take something without paying. So my mother did as she was told and was diligently following Libby around the store. All of a sudden Libby turned to my mother and said, “You’re not going to let me get away with anything, are you?” I can just picture that in my mind. I remember another rather strange man by the name of Jose (pronounced with a long o and silent e—rhymes with ‘dose’). He was probably in his 50's or 60's and lived in what my cousin Alene called a ‘cow coop’. Jose, who I was told was living on a $50 Army pension, would come into the store and buy a can of spaghetti and meatballs, or some other canned meat product that could be eaten right out of the can. He would then sit down in the shade by the store and eat. There used to be a bunch of wild cats (domesticated cats but that ran wild) that lived under the house portion of the store. Jose was the only person who I ever saw who was able to pet those cats. That is because he would share with them some of his canned food. It was also a special treat for us when we would travel from my hometown of Marysvale to Leeds to visit my Grandparents. The trip seemed a lot longer back then because there were no four-lane highways. When we would get to about ten miles from Leeds, my mother would get us singing a song that went like this: Ten more miles to Grandma’s house; ten more miles to go-o; ten more miles to Grandma’s house; ten more miles to go-o. Mom would know the precise moment to change the lyrics as we counted down the miles. Back then the Interstate had not been built and the main thoroughfare came right through Leeds. I remember waking up often during the night to the sound of the diesel semis that would sound their horn and light up the sky with their headlights as they would round the bend and pass just yards from where we were sleeping. While Grandma Allen was running the store, Grandpa Allen kept busy running his dairy farm. He had a very gentle roan horse called ‘Patches’. Shortly after Grandma died, he sold the milk cows and dairy farm to the government, who was buying up all the land on the other side of the hill that runs the length of Leeds in order to build the Interstate highway. Grandma had in heart attack sometime in 1960, and her health deteriorated after that. I was only nine years old at the time and am not sure if I attended the funeral. She died on 20 August 1961 in St. George. She was only 61 years old. After Grandma Allen’s heart attack, Alma Weeks started running the store, and continued to do so until sometime in 1964 when Grandpa Allen sold the store and house and built a new home across the street from the old school house towards the other end of town. It had a nice back yard with rows of grape vines, different fruit trees, and a very large pecan tree in the front. Whenever we came to visit, we would take home buckets filled with pecans. Grandpa Allen married Irma Martonne Patch Martin (twice widowed) on 24 December 1962. When I attended Dixie Jr. College in 1969-70, they would invite me up to their house quite often for Sunday dinner. I remember that Irma had a bell collection that she had displayed throughout her house, especially in the kitchen. Grandpa Allen was very good to me. He would pull me aside and slip me a $20 bill. When I got married in 1974, we were not expecting them to attend the wedding all the way up in Provo (we hadn't really been expecting many to attend) but we were pleasantly surprised to see the sealing room at the Temple full of friends and relatives, including Grandpa Allen and Irma. Grandpa Allen died on 30 May 1980 in St. George. I was in the Army at the time and was unable to attend the funeral. Irma followed him two years later. (If anybody reads this who knows more about their early lives, how they met, his military service, etc., please email me so that I can amplify this ‘sketch’. Or you can post your own comments or add another story)

Life timeline of Pvt Charles Erastus Allen

Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was born in 1893
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 12 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 21 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 36 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 46 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 52 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 64 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 76 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen was 85 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
See More
Pvt Charles Erastus Allen died in 1980 at the age of 87
Grave record for Pvt Charles Erastus Allen (1893 - 1980), BillionGraves Record 873399 St George, Washington, Utah, United States