Carol Goff

1911 - 1987

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Carol Goff

1911 - 1987
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Carol Goff (1911 - 1987) at Midvale City Cemetery in Midvale, Salt Lake, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Carol Goff


Midvale City Cemetery

445 W 6th Ave
Midvale, Salt Lake, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

1st Headstone:
Clifford Isaac 1877-1942
Sabina Larson 1877-1953
Parents of:
Leo Clifford 1905-1909
Louis Edwin 1906-1971
Cora Madge 1907-2002
Melba Bernece 1909-2006
Carol 1911-1987

2nd Headstone:
Leo Clifford Goff

3rd Headstone:
Sabina L Goff

4th Headstone:
Clifford I Goff
July 27, 1877 - May 4, 1942

Kevin L. Rider

May 1, 2012


May 2, 2012

Kevin L. Rider

April 30, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Carol


Carol Goff is buried in the Midvale City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Willard A Kemp, Tireless worker and community vounteer

Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Written by Richard Kemp, son. Dad designed the first, automatic actuated traffic semaphore in the State of Utah and installed it at the west entrance to Hill Air Force Base in Roy, Utah. He designed street lighting systems for many cities in Utah where state roads ran through those cities. I travelled with him on many jobs as he photographed the streets in those cities to show the before and after results of the lighting systems. He was a traffic systems engineer, and amazingly was self taught, having no college degree. He was also a first aid instructor for the RED CROSS. He was assistant fire chief in Midvale and many times drove the ambulance when needed. During the missile scare he worked in Civil Defense, going through drills in Midvale city in case of an attack. He was a ham operator, building his own radios and served in the US Navy reserve as a short wave radio operator. He has an album of hundreds of call cards of hams he contacted using morse code all over the world. He was Utah licensed embalmer, a Utah licensed electrician. He was an elected trustee of the Utah State Fireman's Association. He served a stake mission for the LDS church. In his younger days he flew a biplane over the Great Salt Lake and was a member of the OX CLUB. Just recently i learned he was the Vice President of the Utah Ham Radio Club in 1935. What did Dad do in his spare time? He was a coin collector with a collection that was featured in the Deseret News. Photography was another hobby that he put to use on his state job. I can't remember seeing him not busy on some project. when re retired from the state I watched him repairing his car. He told me once retirement was a curse. His filing cabinet was full of genealogical charts and biographies. As I was thinking of Dad's life always remember him speaking quietly. I can honestly say I never heard him yell. He never was angry with me. I often found him reading.


Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

When you look back 60 years and try to remember someone, it's funny the images that pop into your head. Mom standing in a bright yellow painted kitchen ironing from the ironing board pulled down from it's cabinet on the wall by the back door. When the ironing board was down it blocked the back door. It was a small kitchen and mom would lean back against the door as she ironed white shirts. We had not air conditioning but the house was fairly cool but in the summer mom would chew on ice cubes while she ironed and listened to Arthur Godfrey on the radio. She spent a lot of time working in that kitchen and she was a hard worker. I remember mom cutting the lawn with a manual push mower. Mom was a great cook and she had a specialty, chocolate chip cookies. Many people commented on her cookies and enjoyed them on their visits to our house. It seemed like people visited more in those days. Midvale at that time was different. We always dressed nicely to go down town. Mom always looked dressed up to shop for groceries or to get a soda at Vincent Drug. Mom knew almost everyone on Midvale. She worked in the post office when her father, Clifford Isaac Goff, was the post master. she got to know all the families first hand. She had the gift of gab. She would meet any new person and start up a conversation like she had known them all her life. She could put a person at ease instantly. What a great gift and skill that was. by Richard Kemp, her son.

Personal History (written by Willard A. Kemp)

Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I was born 5 Dec, 1909 in Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah on the property known as Smelter Farm (located on 6400 South) west of Midvale's Main Street. My father, Samuel T. Kemp, and my mother, Harriet Gifford Kemp, had located on this farm while he was employed by the United States Smelting and Refining Company. We lived in Midvale until 1912, when the family decided to return to St. George where father's old home was located. He went to work for this brother, Chester, who was a contractor and builder. This proved to be a sad mistake because of his brother's desire to work him without reasonable pay. Father stayed on because he thought brothers should be able to work together, but by 1920 it was found necessary to relocate and so again we moved, this time to Hinckley, Millard County, Utah. He purchased a farm with the proceeds from the old home in St. George. The raising of alfalfa seed was very profitable until the land became saturated with alkali. Eventually, the county was bonded to drain the land, this resulted in the loss of property. Those who stayed had to rebuy their farms from the bonding company. In 1922 we moved to Delta where father went back into the building trade. I completed grade school and was attending high school and gaining experience in the church and business life of the community. I was fortunate in being able to find work in a grocery store and dry goods clerking. At night I worked in the picture show as a projectionist so this was quite a busy time for me. My routine started at 5:00 am when I cleaned out the drug store, prepare the fountain syrups, etc., then go to school. After school I worked in the grocery store as a delivery boy and clerk until 7:00 pm, then to the movie house to run the motion pictures. I managed to get in my studies between changing reels. I also played in the high school band under the able tutelage of Brother Doricus. My instrument was the tuba until the kids razzed me about getting my head stuck in the mouthpiece. I then changed to a piccolo (I purchased it from Sears for $3.40.) When I reached 12 years of age I was ordained a deacon and made president of my quorum, joined the Boy Scout Troop and eventually was the first boy to be a First Class Scout and the first in the county to receive a merit badge. At the time, the leaders used to say that any boy who could become a First Class Scout would have intelligence equal to any merchant. Needless to say, I was very proud to wear my Scout pin and uniform. When I finally received my merit badges (14) the Stake President presented them to me in church. They were quite a novelty because nobody had seen a "real" badge before, only in pictures. In 1924 I was chosen, with one other fellow, to represent the county at the First Annual Older Scout Conference held in Provo, Utah County, Utah. This is was a real experience for me to venture so far away from home with other boys my age. I progressed in the church as other boys did, receiving the offices of Teacher and Priest. I had the privilege of baptizing my brother, Earl in a canal near the old flour mill. In 1927 I went to work for the Pahvant Power and Light Company as their local representative. I had complete charge of the power distribution system for four towns, Delta, Oasis, Hinckley and Deseret, and 40 miles of high tension lines that connected us with Fillmore, Utah. This was a very interesting job, until one day while patrolling the lines across the desert an airplane flew over about 100 feet off the ground. From that instant I knew that I had to try my wings, just how I didn't know. In the Spring of 1929 I found myself driving to Salt Lake City in my old model T Ford. I found a job with the Utah Light and Traction Company and proceeded to enroll in the Utah University of the Air where I learned to fly. I soloed on 5 February 1930 at the Salt Lake Airport. This was extremely expensive though when you consider that my wages were $3.25 per day and flying time was $30.00 per hour. ). About this time, I met a young lady by the name of Carol Goff. She later became my wife in the Salt Lake Temple on 1 Nov, 1935. With these other interests developing I didn't have time or money to continue flying. I was now working for the Utah Power and Light Company and they transferred me to their Magna Office. I was working there when I was married. I had been ordained an Elder and set apart as Secretary to the Elder's Quorum (Brother Neils Lind ordained and set me apart to this office). Later I was ordained to the office of a Seventy by Antoine R. Ivins, and later a High Priest by Harry S. Wright. I have served in the Sunday School and MIA Superintendency, in stake positions as Clerk, as a member of the Aaronic Priesthood Committee, the Melchizadek Priesthood Committee as Publicity Director, and First Counselor to the Mission President during my second Stake Mission in the old East Jordan Stake. At the present time I am serving as Secretary to the Stake Sundahy School Board (1959). Carol and I have two children, Richard and Pamela, who are the delight of our lives.

Carol Goff Kemp Autobiography 1987

Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I was born March 30, 1911, 3rd daughter, 5th child of wonderful parents Clifford Isaac Goff and Sabina Josephine Larson. I was loved by my parents. They were my models when I grew up. I wanted to have their wonderful and dear traits. At 11 months I had double pneumonia and everyone thought I would die. Mother stayed with me for 10 nights and days praying that I would live. Through her prayers, care, and love, I survived, but I was left with a bad heart, lungs, and nerves. Mother had lost her first child, a lovely, blond, blue-eyed boy when he was four years old. She couldn't have any more children after I was born, so she protected me all my life. I loved going with her in the horse and buggy to Bingham when she was first counselor to Elfeada Jenson, Stake Relief Society President, which would take all day. I enjoyed going with Mother and Dad, all our aunts and uncles, cousins, sisters and brothers too, to Wandermere, Liberty Park, and Salt Air Depot, then take the open air train to the Great Salt Air with the wonderful bathing, high giant roller coaster over the water, the merry-go-round, lunch room, and dance pavilion. I loved to watch Mother and Dad dance just like professionals. Mother was so beautiful. She had very lovely dresses, hats, coats and shoes. Dad was tall, dark, with brown eyes and a wonderful smile and sense of humor. Both were college graduates. Mother graduated from the University of Utah in 1898 and Dad from the Brigham Young Academy in Provo in 1898. We had wonderful times with relatives on both sides. Grandpa and Grandma Larson were so dear. Grandma Larson died first. I just remember her so frail, but very sweet. Grandpa Larson was so sad all the years after her death, but he taught me many lessons. I was very obstinate as a child. After I had been very trying one day, he took me for a walk. He told me that if I didn't change my ways and be a better little girl, I wouldn't have the thing he wanted me to have, which was a chance to go to the Salt Lake Temple as my father and mother had done. He then told a story. "When I was married to your Grandmother, the Salt Lake Temple wasn't finished so they married us in the Endowment House. I lived a good Latter-day Saint life. I spent 6 years serving a mission in Sweden before coming to Utah. I worked in the railroad for many years and while there had an accident. The railroad doctors wanted to amputate my leg but I wouldn't give my consent. My leg never did knit. Before coming here, I had been a blacksmith in the old country. After I gained my strength back, I decided to take up blacksmithing again. While I was shoeing a horse, an idea came to me of something I could do to help me walk, using a cane. I made a thick black belt for around my waist. I hung two braces from the belt that went down to my knees. I connected the braces on both sides of the shoe and which extended longer that the other leg. I was then able to walk with the aid of a cane without much of a limp. Because of my iron brace and black shoe, I was never allowed in the Temple. Carol, you don't have any of these afflictions other than your bad temper and naughtiness, so you had better live better so that you can go to the temple. You can be married in the temple just like your Mother and Father were married." I only hope Grandpa knows how much his life and kindness to me has helped me be a better person. When I was 6 years old, I started school. Miss Mabel Thorp was my first teacher. I really loved school, but within six weeks it took its toll on me. I had contracted inflammatory rheumatism (now called rheumatic fever) affecting my ability to walk. Because it had affected my heart, I sat in Dad's big rocking chair. Heavy padding permitted me to sleep in the chair during the night. Dad slept on a sanitary couch in the dining room to watch over me. In the day time, if it was warm enough, he would carry me to the outside toilet, otherwise I would be put on a china pot. We had a wonderful four seater swing with a floor. When you pushed on the floor, it would swing. Someone could sit on the opposite side and help. I spent many hours in the swing in the summertime. Dad had a long work bench and did many things there while he supervised what I did. I had to take the first grade over even though I had received good grades the first six weeks. The principal went by the book. Even though Dad had taken me through the first grade reading books, taught me English, spelling, and arithmatic, and passed the first grade tests, I hadn't gone to school the amount of days I was supposed to, and therefore, repeated the first grade. Mr. E. E. Greenwood was the principal and he tended to have roving hands with the ladies. Because of this, I left and went to South Junior on 13th South and State street for two years. I then graduated from high school in 1929. I had many wonderful friends while attending the church school. Harry Brooks was one of them. When Pam and I went to Hawaii to see Willard Bishop, her husband, on his R&R in 1970, we went to the temple and Harry happened to be President of the temple. We talked and Pam took our picture. Carol remembers: I remember when George Shaw delivered milk to our house. The lid of his milk can served as a quart measure. Mother would have him put the milk in two large round milk pans. After it set all day and all night, we could skim the cream off the top for our cereal and hot chocolate or whip it for pies or cake topping. I remember the fresh vegetable wagon that came three times a week. It took two whistles to stop the horse and one whistle to start him. He was a beautiful horse and liked us to rub his nose. I loved Grandpa Goff's mules, Pete and Julie. His horse he used for the buggy with back and front seats. It had a surrey with a fringe on top. In 1921, I went with Dad to the Salt Lake stock yard, and bought 12 lambs and took them down to Uncle Manuel Lemberg's farm on the hill. He fed them and when it was time to shear the sheep, mother said if I helped her wash the wool and pick all the burrs out, she would card the wool and make me the first quilt. It was quite an experience. I loved to watch her. I have her old carders and quilt. Mother was very much like her father; gentle, kind and considerate. Uncle Lemberg and father went halvers on meat and wool. Grandfather taught me many lessons. He really tried to help me. i must have tried his patience. In 1921, we went to Bear Lake for our summer vacation. We took Grandfather Larson, Aunt Effie Miller and small daughter June, who had been very ill, Uncle Neil, Aunt Ebby, Rosalie and Barbara Olsen, Mother, Dad, Cora, Melba and me (the problem child). Dad gave each one of us kids (6 in all) fifty cents to be good and not to go out too far in the lake, (it had been said to have no bottom). When we were ready to go swimming, Grandfather Larson said he would hold our money so we wouldn't lose it while in the lake. Each one gave him their money gladly, except me, of course. I didn't know how selfish and untrusting I was. After our swim and nap on the sandy beach, Grandfather gave each child their fifty cents back plus five cents from him, interest for trusting him, of course. This is when he took me for a walk and told me the story about his leg. I remember when Dad was left home to take care of me. Lewis, Cora, and Melba were at school. Mother was Relief Society counselor with Elfreada Jenson of Sandy, Mrs. Muir of Draper and were at a conference. Dad had a call to go get someone who had died in one of the hospitals. I couldn't go with him, so he left me with Nellie and Vinnie Holden (Lind) in the Goff store. I loved to play "Old Maid" and "Steal the Pile". Each time Dad left me with the Holden sisters, i would open a new package of cards. Several of the men of Midvale returned the cards because there were dirty finger prints on them, and they stuck together. I couldn't play cards anymore, so I looked around for something to interest me, and had found a delicious looking, what I thought was a big chocolate bar, which instead was chewing tobacco. I told Dad I wanted a piece of that! He explained to me what it was, how it would sting my tongue and wasn't for little girls or boys. I still wanted to try some. By this time he lost his temper. He told me that if I promised to chew it up good and swallow the juice and not spit any out, I could have a small piece. I promised and all hell broke loose. Boy, was I sick! Mother was so angry with Dad for being a party to such a dirty trick just to teach me a lesson that I never did forget the lesson. The we went to Yellowstone, then on to Jenny's Lake, was very upsetting. Dad and Uncle Neil rented an outboard motor boat. This evening, Dad and Mother, Aunt Ebby and Uncle Neil, Barbara, Rosalie, and I stayed at the cabin to write to Weldon. We took Uncle Neil to the far end of the lake. He wanted to fish and walk back to camp. We started back. Half way back, a terrible wind, rain, and lightening storm upset our boat, pitching all of us out into the water. The coast guard tried to get to us but couldn't because of the high waves caused by the wind. Dad helped Mother. Aunt Ebby was helped by Barbara and Rosalie. I had had swimming lessons for a year at LDS so I could take care of myself. We finally made it to shore. The boat was rescued, but the motor was never found. I remember Mother having Rhode Island Red hens and roosters. I hated to gather the eggs but love to throw wheat at them. Grandpa Larson had his accident the year before Sabina Larson was born in 1877. I remember when Dad asked Melba, Cora and I to clean the hall over the mortuary. We said yes, if we could have a party after we did. We did the job so good that he said we could have a dance. We invited all our friends and Dad procured a 4 piece orchestra. We sure had fun. Soon John and Lawrence Brown were missed and soon they were found. They offered us all what looked like Chiclets gum. After an hour or so, I took time to visit the powder room. We soon found out that John and Lawrence had given us Finament, which wasn't a gum, but a laxative. On Halloween, after we had knocked all the toilets over and taken all the gates off their hinges and hidden them, the night was still too young to separate and go home. We went back in the baseball field and gathered all the tumbleweeds (there were mountains of them). We placed them across the road in front of the Drason home. As the cars had to stop (Model T's couldn't get through) our ears heard all the foul words we knew, and some we didn't. Some of the men were so fouled up in the weeds, they couldn't get their cars started and had to be towed away. One man who had a more powerful car, told our policeman, who was called Bluebeard (because he was so dark and had a handlebar mustache and thick long beard and always wore a stocking cap, of course) and he came and routed us up and gave us hell. We were finally told to take the weeds back to the ball park and were told to burn them. We did such a good job of cleaning the park, we thought we should be paid for our good work. I remember how much fun it was walk up to Grandfather Larson's farm and play in the barn and orchard, feed the horses, play in the hay and ditch and drink apple cider that he had made from the apples he grew. Grandmother had dainty glasses and a cream pitcher. The glasses were so small, I would fill them a dozen times. In the evening, Daddy would hitch up Pete and Julie (Grandmother Goff's horses) to the two seater surrey with the fringe on top and come and get us. I loved to watch the shadows of the light poles go by as the horses would prance. I would count them all the way home. I really believe that is the way I learned to count. I remember when our home was used as a Sunday School Stake House. Once or twice a month, the Stake Board Sunday School would meet in our home and have departmental classes, and really get a lot of work done. I also remember when the Junior Sunday School was started. there were not enough classrooms to go around so I took my class over to my home, and came in the west door into the dining room. I used my own chalkboard and chairs, no noise! We really had a good class, 8-10 year olds. We did this for 18 months, there were no distractions and it was very quiet. I remember the first spring I met Willard A. Kemp, May 1930. We had our mutual closing social up in the Granite Stake lodge. We all went as M. Men and Gleaner class, together. Willard A. had a Model T Ford and seater. He couldn't go up the long Granite hill frontwards so he turned it around and went up backwards with the help of 3 or 4 of the men and women in other cars. Boy, that was struggle. We were all so pooped, we couldn't play baseball. So we all went for a walk crossing the swinging bridge over the wide stream of rushing cold water. The fellows on the bank started to rock the bridge and I, of course, fell in. Oh was it cold! The year I changed school, Mother said I could have some of my friends over to the hall above the mortuary for a party to dance. We had a very nice record player, punch, cake, cookies, candy, nuts, etc. Carter Jones, Laura Goodro, Dorthy Peckham, Joe Cotter, Ruth Maycroft, Helen Westbend, and Lawrence Brown were but a few friends that were there.

I Remember Mama, Memories of Sabina by her daughter Melba (Part 1)

Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

My name is Melba Goff Matthews. My younger sister, Carol Goff Kemp, asked me to write my impression of our mother, so with apologies to Van Druten, the author of the play, "I Remember Mama", I'm going to use that title to write about my mother, Sabina Josephine Larson Goff, whose husband was Clifford Isaac Goff of Midvale, Utah. I remember mama as a beautiful, intelligent, honest, gentle, kindly mother who loved her husband and family dearly and devoted her life to them and her church. She was patient, understanding, loving, and kind. She was humble and sincere in her religious beliefs, and happily spent many hours studying and preparing her Relief Society and Sunday School assignments. She was a steadfast worker as a mother, wife, neighbor, friend, and community worker. Her motto of "cleanliness is next to godliness" insured us of clean clothes, house and yard. Her intense belief in good education encouraged us children to be good students in body and mind and she did all in her power to help and support us in our ideals and accomplishments. She was a good organizer, a believer in obeying law and order, and had the wonderful ability to meet and cope with the economic crisis during World War I and the Great Depression of 1929. She made many sacrifices and self-denials in order to give to and take care of her family. She was very generous. She loved beauty in all things, and was fastidious in her grooming and her clothing. Her great desire to always improve herself instilled in her a great love of literature and history, and geography. She and Daddy accumulated an extensive library of the classics, history and church books. She was an avid reader and always made marginal notes as she read. She used an unabridged dictionary and encouraged us to do likewise. As children, she read to us many times from "The Book of Knowledge" and the fairy tale books. As we grew older, we were provided with the Encyclopedia Britannica to help us in our homework. They provided us with novels of uplifting ideals, and good examples of gracious living and industriousness, and honor. She loved teaching before she was married and was so proud and happy when she taught a ******** boy to write his name. She had beautiful penmanship and encouraged us to practice writing so it would be neat and legible. "Practice makes perfect" she used to say. She was an excellent seamstress and delighted in making lovely clothes for her children and herself. Her many quilled and dyed quilts for the home and canyon use were beautifully done. She embroidered many beautify temple aprons for use in Daddy's mortuary business, and her crocheted things and her beaded dresses were works of art. Two of her hand-beaded dresses are now on display in the Midvale museum. She made many beautiful costumes for my dance programs and a lovely Martha Washington dress for herself to wear at a costume ball. I still have that costume and my black lace mantilla i wore for a Spanish dance! She taught me to mend stockings with the weaving stitch on a darning ball. Having been a teacher, she taught her children good manners, proper grammar, respect for one another, love of nature, honesty and integrity, diligence and perseverance, love of country and respect for authority. She and Daddy provided a mission experience for their son Louis; piano, vocal, cello, saxophone, and dancing lessons for their three daughters. Even during the 1929 depression, they provided their children with special educational opportunities and L.S. High School and College and the University of Utah. She was proud of her schooling and was delighted when Carol and I took her to her University of Utah (Deseret) Emeritus functions. I remember her as a gracious hostess to her "U Club", all graduates of the University of Deseret. She prepared delicious food and served it on a beautifully set table of lovely linen, crystal, good china and silverware. Even though she, herself, did not drink coffee, she would borrow Aunt Millie's coffee pot so she could serve coffee to those who did drink it! I remember the many delicious dinners she served to the General Authority at conference times. I was especially impressed when Daddy brought David O.McKay home for a Sunday dinner between morning and afternoon sessions. Brother McKay was a general superintendent of Church Sunday Schools at that time and Daddy was state superintendent. She loved to entertain her Larson Sisters Club and made it possible for us to have a Cousins Club. She was always proud of and loved her Swedish parents and brothers and sisters. She truly was proud of her heritage. She delighted in telling us stories of her parents and some of her childhood experiences. Grandpa John Larson came to America alone and was soon able to send money to his sweetheart Christina Pehrson so she could come to America to marry John. Christina was a personal maid to a rich lady in Sweden. Mother was taught many lessons in how to be genteel and gracious and she passed her learning on to us. She taught us a Swedish song, which I can still sing, and several Swedish words. Grandpa Larson would not allow any language but English to be spoken. He was proud to be an American citizen and he insisted his family learn good English. She told us that her father worked for the railroad and injured his leg in an accident that left him wearing a steal brace on his leg for the rest of his life. He could no longer work for the railroad so he became a blacksmith and raised beautiful horses. He prized them highly and treated them humanely - he could not tolerate cruelty to animals. One day, Sabina rode on of the beautiful horses to the cleaners with her brother Jack. While waiting for him to pick up his suit, a couple of dogs in front of the shop started fighting. Mother's horse became frightened and he reared up and mother was thrown off, hitting the back of her head very hard. She was blind for three days, due to the concussion, and developed an intense fear of dogs. Until she told of this incident, I never understood why she wouldn't let us have a dog for a pet. When we'd ask to have one, she always said, "When you have a home of your own, you can have as many dogs as you want."


Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I was born in 1942. When my mother took me across the street to go to the stores in Midvale, Utah I remember crossing the street and mother pointing to this house and saying, "That is the house that your Great Grandfather and his two wives lived. There was a door for each wife to go to her own side of the house." Hyrum Goff was my Great Grandfather and Maria Goff was my great grandmother. His other wife was named Marinda Bateman. When Grandfather had to go to prison to serve a sentence for polygamy he was told that Marinda would have to move somewhere else and he was never to see her or the kids again. What a sad time that must have been for Marinda and the children. These two buildings were later torn down to become Dr. Hosmer's building on Center and Main. Now today it is a Maverick mini market.


Contributor: Jeanette_Allan Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Grandpapa was a dear. I was taught to call him that by somebody. I don't know who now. He took me places whenever I would visit him. He took me over to Vincent Drug one night while he was balancing the cash registers. I could look at anything but couldn't touch. I was fascinated by the comic book rack. I turned that thing around and around to see what was in there. He took me to Temple Square once and we had lunch in the church office building cafeteria. There were so many people in there and we sat at this little table with only two chairs against the wall. He prayed over our food before we ate it and I was surprised because we didn't usually pray in a restaurant type setting but he did it anyway and I was even more surprised that no one else in the room seemed to notice. He took me up to the top of the building on the observation deck and could see all over downtown. One summer when I visited, I found a little arrow at his house and I wanted to shoot it. He made a bow out of a piece of moulding and twine and showed me how to shoot it. He found some styrofoam and stuck that out in his back yard as a target for me to shoot at. The moulding didn't have a notch in it for the arrow to go, so the fletching on the arrow went across my thumb and after awhile the skin there started to hurt. Grandpa saved the bow for me for the next time I visited. One day when I was in 7th grade, I was in my English/Language arts class that I'd spend three class periods in each day and my teacher, Mrs Fotheringham went to her office to answer her phone. She came back out and told me I had to go home "right now". She didn't say why and I didn't ask, but I thought it was really weird. The class had been silently working on something at the time so everybody heard that I was going. I got my stuff and everybody watched me leave. I biked home and when I got to our street, I finally thought, "Something bad must have happened for mom to call me home from school". When I walked in the door, Mom was at the top of the stairs and she said Grandpa was in the hospital and he might die. She said I was going with her to Salt Lake. She had me pack a change of clothes and off we went. We stopped at the house first and Mom left me there while she and I think Uncle Richard took Grandma to the hospital. They came back a while later and Uncle Richard led a family prayer for Grandpa. It wasn't too long later that the hospital called and said Grandpa had died. Then we all went to the hospital. Grandpa just looked like he was sleeping. Grandma cried and kissed him on the forehead. I had never seen her kiss him before. She took his wedding right off his hand and tucked it in her purse. Mom and Uncle Richard had a moment with Grandpa then we left. Mom apologized to me later. She hadn't taken me to the hospital before because she knew he had tubes all down his throat and all that and she didn't want me to see him like that. She later said she regretted it. He had been really sick for some time so I was kind of glad that he wasn't in any pain anymore. We stayed at the house that night and I think we left for Cedar the next day to get home to the kids. Grandpa's funeral was the first one I had ever been to. but I felt pretty calm througout the whole thing.

Life timeline of Carol Goff

Carol Goff was born in 1911
Carol Goff was 17 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Carol Goff was 19 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Carol Goff was 30 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Carol Goff was 44 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Carol Goff was 53 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Carol Goff was 62 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Carol Goff died in 1987 at the age of 76
Grave record for Carol Goff (1911 - 1987), BillionGraves Record 988518 Midvale, Salt Lake, Utah, United States