Carl H. Wilcken

15 Apr 1856 - 2 Dec 1921


Carl H. Wilcken

15 Apr 1856 - 2 Dec 1921
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Carl H. Wilcken (15 Apr 1856 - 2 Dec 1921) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Carl H. Wilcken
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Carl H. Wilcken


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


July 6, 2011


July 6, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Carl H....

We found more records about Carl H. Wilcken.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Carl H.


Carl H. Wilcken is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Brief History of Carl Wilcken by his grandson Carl Wilcken

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My grandfather grew up in the Salt Lake area and went to school there. He lived in various areas including Grantsville, Taylorsville, and a large ranch on the south fork of the Provo River and Nobletts Creek. Grandfather moved his family in 1905 over the divide from the Provo River to the headwaters of the Duchesne River. Grandad loved the frontier with its wide open spaces, and shunned city life. He took up 160 acres homestead at the mouth of Blind Stream Canyon in the Hanna area. My father had the 160 acres just south of Grandpa. I was born here at said homestead seven years later. I loved my grandad at an early age. He would frequently walk from his ranch house to hours (about a mile). I would usually see him coming and run to meet him. Without even missing a step or changing his stride he would grab me with one hand and sit me on one shoulder. My feet would dangle on his chest while I rode to our house. He would always inquire, "How is the stock? Are you keeping them fat? Fat is a fine color." Grandpa was an impressive man - well over six foot in height. I don't know his weight, but it would have been over 200 pounds. He wore a buckskin jacket trimmed with fringes of buckskin and designs of fancy beadwork on the front and back that was made for him by Indians. Much of the time he wore breeches made of buckskin, and he had buckskin gloves. He always wore a 4X beaver wide-brimmed black hat. His boots were western style riding boots - handmade by Newton Brothers of Vernal, Utah. He was a pioneer in appearance as well as occupation, raising cattle, sheep, and horses. He raised hay and grain for winter stock feed, and had a patch of turkey red wheat which was taken to the grist mill each fall to provide the year's supply of flour. He was a shrewd livestock trader. As a boy, I would ride with him whenever the chance arose. I remember helping him to move his sheep and cattle. He always had both Indian and white cowboys and sheepherders, which left him free to move about and be gone from home for days at a time. Every Indian within 100 miles knew him. He conversed with them in their own language, and was known by both whites and Indians as "peacemaker". Some time near the end of 1920 he sold his homestead and moved with his second wife to Provo. He died there in the latter part of 1921 of what they termed kidney failure. I visited Grandad in Provo just shortly before his death. He still had his heavy mustache and Indian-made jacket. He told me he had made a big mistake in selling his ranch and moving to the city. He said he'd done it just to please Aunt May (his second wife). He told me he would soon go back home to the Duchesne River.

History of Carl Henry Wilcken by his granddaughter Phyllis

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

After great grandfather deserted Johnston's Army he was taken in by Brigham Young. They were very close friends. Great Grandfather built the four mills at Liberty Park and Heber. Quote from Aunt Bertha's biography: "After mother and children arrived in Salt Lake he took them to Liberty Park where he worked. They had a neat little cottage and family life began again for her." This was three years after great grandfather left Germany. "After being established in Brigham Young's employment, father sent for mother and the children" (Aunt Bertha). "it was a long journey from Salt Lake City with our wagon piled high with household goods. We went up Parley's Canyon and crossed Silver Creek and over some ridges to Heber City. My earliest remembrance of a song is my brother Carl singing 'Wait til the sun shines, Maggie'. He had a fine voice and the memory of that song and that place has been sweet to me all my life" (Aunt Bertha). He also loved and sang the song "Juanita". Aunt Mattie played the piano while he sang. As a boy, Carl lived at Libery Park, then Heber, then 7th East and 7th South - a corner house known as "The Wilcken Corner". After he married my grandmother Martha, they lived in the following places in Utah: Taylorsville, Salt Lake City, Upper Provo River, Big Spring, North Fork of the Duchesne River, Hanna, and Provo. As I remember my grandfather Carl in that summer of 1914, he was all of six feet, four inches and straight as a lodge pole pine. Bushy eyebrows, a straggly mustache, prominent nose, and deepset, cold, grey eyes. He wore a black Stetson hat held on by a braided band he made himself. He made many beautiful riding quirts for his children. He was lean and carried himself gracefully erect and always at his heels was an Airedale dog. They were inseparable and both a little grizzled. He traveled most the time in a buckboard. I don't remember him leaving the Red Knoll on horseback and speaking of horses. He was a horse trader indeed. He once traded a beautiful team of bays belonging to grandma for a broken-winded racehorse - a black stallion with a silver plug in its windpipe in order to breathe. Grandpa was going to use him for a stud. As to that I can say nothing, but he did wreck the barn and ran away several times. His name was Wakaskee. I was always impressed by the size of grandfather's hands, so strong and capable. On the smallest finger of each hand he wore a copper band made of large round wire. He had crossed the wire to make the ring, then used the ends to wrap around the ring into a nice design. Grandfather Carl was a man of great courage and physical strength and endurance. On the surface he was unemotional, but he loved music and loved to sing. It was the only outward sign of what there could have been more of deep inside him. He was so western in appearance and way of living. The remote and the untouched were the things that challenged him. He moved away from civilization into the untamed not yet known places. He found his peace among tall trees, high mountains and rushing waters. He was a kind of special father figure to the Ute people. I would sit spellbound when he would shoe a horse, nails in his mouth, bent over the upturned foot. Between his knees, he would with great dexterity, clean, cut, and nail on a shoe before one could say "boo"! One morning we went up Blind Stream Canyon for firewood. It was early and cold. He would gather the dried wood from the side of the mountain, drag it down to the road, then I would take it to the wagon. He would restore my will and energy by saying "Doing just fine, my girl." He got a lot of cheap labor out of me, but he also helped me grow up. The year grandmother died was the last summer we spent at Red Knoll. My father felt that someone should be with grandfather, so mother and the three of us girls stayed until school was due to open. There was a Greek boy working for him named Nick. Nick was probably 14 or 15. I was 12. When grandfather decided to "take off", which was often, he would tell Nick and myself what to take care of. It was a summer I will never forget, and I'm sure my mother felt the same way. We had to take the sheep out every morning and let them feed toward the canyons north of the ranch. We did the milking. I was glad there was only one cow. One morning as we let the sheep out, we found one dead. Nick saddled a horse and pulled the sheep to the far end of the Red Knoll. When grandfather returned, we told him about the incident. We watched him skin it, those big fists pressed the hide away from the body without cuts. It was not torn. It was done by a pro. We helped him bury the carcass, then leaning on his shovel he said, "You did the right thing. Next time, don't drag it so far away." That was my grandfather; you got no more than you earned. Uncle Rudolph related the story of grandfather and the cougar. Grandfather ran his cattle up Blind Stream. It was Indian land. He was working in an upper field when he saw one of his mares and her colt come thundering out of the canyon. The cat had already attacked the mother. Her throat was bleeding. Grandfather had no gun, and was too far from the house, so he gathered up some rocks and went after the cat. The rock throwing reversed the direction of the cougar and the incident was over. Was he fearless, courageous, or foolhardy? But that was the stuff my grandfather was made of. All his sons were hunters and fishermen. Grandfather did not kill for meat or sport. Toward the end of that last summer at Red Knoll Ranch, grandfather decided that he needed supplies for the coming fall and winter. He used four horses to pull the double bedded wagon, took a cow to sell, a riding horse and me. We headed out very early. Our destination was Kamas by way of Stockmore and Wolf Creek saddle horn. My mother was very angry about my going but no one ever argued with grandfather. At midday we had our lunch at a place called Wilcken's Cabin, which could serve as a shelter in case of a storm. By mid-afternoon we had made it over Wolf Creek Pass, down as far as Noblet Gulch, just above the head of the Provo River. Here grandfather watered the stock. We continued on a few more miles, then all hell broke loose. The wind came up, it grew very dark, and then there was a driving rain that turned into hail the size of marbles. Grandfather's voice could scarcely be heard above the storm. "Drive the cow along the fence and hold her there," he said. The hail felt like bee stings. The lightning and thunder came in close succession. The horses reared, but grandfather's strong hands held a tight rein. It was over as quick as it started, which is characteristic of the Uinta Mountains. I looked up at grandfather and he looked at me, and he smiled, which was a very rare thing for him, and he said, "That's my girl. You did just fine. I couldn't have done better myself." We got to the Knight ranch late afternoon. The next day we went to Kamas, sold the cow and bought the supplies. Grandfather introduced me to Mr. King, owner of the Mercantile Store as it was called. Grandfather put his hand on my head and said, "This is my granddaughter Phyllis." This was the first time he had ever used my name. It had been "my child" or "my girl" before. My grandfather had a profound influence on my life. He made me believe in myself. He never asked will you do this or can you do this. He gave me the choice to find out for myself.

Carl Heinrich Wilcken

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Name Carl Heinrich WILCKEN Birth Date 17 May 1856 Birth Place Doma, Holstein, Deutschland Birth Memo Archive marriage record Chr Date 17 Jun 1856 Chr Place Grube, Schleswig-Holstein, Preussen, Deutschland Death Date 2 Dec 1921 Death Place Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Death Memo 65 y, 7m, 15d Burial Date 3 Dec 1921 Burial Place Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Burial Memo Provo City Cemetery, Block 7, Lot 37 Occupation Stockman Residence Hanna, Duchesne, Utah, United States ReligionThe Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints Cause of death Carcinoma Of The Bladder After Removal Of Carcinogenic Prostate Flags Utah Pioneer Father Carl Heinrich WILCKEN , M (1831-1915) Mother Eliza Christine Carolina REICHE , F (1830-1907) Children Charles Henry , M (1878-1953) George Herbert , M (1880-1960) Charles Rudolph , M (1883-1931) Eugene , M (1885-1902) Leon (Died as Child), M (1887-1890) Joseph (Twin), M (1890-1957) Matilda (Twin), F (1890-1970) Martha Lucille , F (1895-1938) AKA “Charles Henry” on marriage record ---------------------- From: EARLY HISTORY OF DUCHESNE COUNTY, pp. 243-248 HANNA, contributed by May Lambert Hanna consists of two small valleys on the upper Duchesne [River] which are sometimes spoken of as North Hanna and South Hanna. These take in the valley below the dugway as far south as Farmcreek. In 1905, when the Uintah Basis was thrown open to the white man, a townsite was started at the fords of the river. It was named Stockmore by two men who established it, Mr. Stockman and Mr. Moore. According to the real history of Stockmore, it was known as a “boom town.” The site was laid out in lots and several were sold but later proved unsuccessful. Chancy Lee was the first white man here before the opening that we have any record of. In 1902, he chased and captured wild horses, which were sold at Heber, Park City, and Salt Lake City at $5.00 to $15.00 per head. This was done twice during the year. The first cabins were built up the North Fork of Duchesne River by an old prospector, Riley Shiddler, his son Bill, and a man by the name of Tannerhill. Carl and Martha Wilcken and their family of seven children lived at the Big Spring in 1905. The same year a bridge was built over the North Fork of the Duchesne, with Tom Potts as road foreman, helpers George Wilcken, John Toops, Wm. P. Hanna, Oliff King and Charley Lee. [In 1908] George Wilcken and Myrtle Michie were the first couple to be wedded. In the fall of 1905, Thomas Rhoaddes and son Will built a cabin. The following spring he moved his wife Martha and seven children from Helper, Carbon County, to the new quarters. That year they cleared land, planted a crop, surveyed and got out a canal which was taken from the Big Spring. In the fall they realized a good harvest, threshing 317 bushels of grain. This was the first crop raised in the upper valley, and their cabin was the first to make its appearance. The first dances were held in the old Stockmore Hotel. Later we danced at Chirilli’s and at Hy Jones’ place below Farm Creek. The hotel at Stockmore was owned by Tom Potts. Rudolph and Joe Wilcken furnished music, playing mandolin and guitar... Tom Potts later sold the Hotel to Chancy Lee, who also held dances and played the acccordian...

Carl Heinrich Wilcken Arrival on the "Donau" Dec 27, 1862

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

This is an artist's drawing of what the ship, the Donau might have looked like in 1862. DONAU, Heydtmann, master, which arrived at New York on 16 May 1854, 36 days from Hamburg. This vessel, described in 1853 as a bark, and in 1854 and later as a ship, was built in Altona (now part of Hamburg, but then a port in the kingdom of Hannover) in 1853 by Dreyer for the Hamburg-Amerikanische Paketfahrt-Aktiengesellschaft (Hamburg American Line). 237 Commerzlasten (1 Commerzlast=2,806.266 kilograms), measurement "zwischen den Steven" 139.6 x 31 x 19.6 (length x width x depth of hold) Hamburg feet (1 Hamburg foot=.28657 meters). She sailed almost exclusively on the Hamburg-New York route, although she also sailed to Charleston, SC, in 1858/59 and 1859/60, to London in 1861, to Hull in 1861 and 1862, and to Philadelphia in 1865. In 1866, she was sold, after having been damaged at sea, to Hall, of Boston, and sailed to Port Louis, Mauritius, as the DRESDEN

Life timeline of Carl H. Wilcken

Carl H. Wilcken was born on 15 Apr 1856
Carl H. Wilcken was 13 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
See More
Carl H. Wilcken was 24 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Carl H. Wilcken was 29 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
See More
Carl H. Wilcken was 40 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
See More
Carl H. Wilcken was 48 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
Carl H. Wilcken was 61 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
See More
Carl H. Wilcken died on 2 Dec 1921 at the age of 65
Grave record for Carl H. Wilcken (15 Apr 1856 - 2 Dec 1921), BillionGraves Record 41748 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States