Byron Dee Roundy

17 May 1918 - 7 Apr 1995

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Byron Dee Roundy

17 May 1918 - 7 Apr 1995
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Byron Dee Roundy (17 May 1918 - 7 Apr 1995) at Alton Cemetery in Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Byron Dee Roundy

Married: 17 May 1939

Alton Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Kanab, Kane, Utah
United States


April 30, 2013


May 1, 2013


April 28, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Byron Dee


Byron Dee Roundy is buried in the Alton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: GreatLakes0928 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

I, Shelly, found this story while going through my mother, Judith's, files. I am so glad Pam kept her mother's, (Bernele) wishes and gave her a copy. I have fond memories of our family going to Alton with Uncle Clinton, Aunt Bernele, Pam and Chris. I remember Pam and I swinging on swings laughing and giggling. It was a real treat getting to know these cousins for the first time. After reading this story I have one request... pretty please find the picture of Uncle Clinton's initials carved in the tree so we can attach it to this story. Thanks, Shelly Dear Aunt Judy, After my father passed away, my mom came across a story he had written. She says she never knew about it (at least she can’t remember, which is more likely). The story is “Memories of Alton”, I'm not even sure when during his life it was written. She gave all us kids a copy of the story. Last month when her kidneys were shutting down and she knew her time was short she gave me a list of wishes she wanted me to get done for her and I promised l would. One thing that was very important to her was that I get a copy of this story to you and Colleen. With everything going on I have not even read it yet myself but she is sure you will enjoy it. I don’t know how often or if you even went to Alton, but I did several times and I loved it. Bernele is no longer “actively” dying, but still it could be within the next month or so. She rallied and has just been hanging in there and is impatiently waiting. She is bedridden and not able to do much of anything. I hope all is well, and hope you enjoy the story. Love, Pam MEMORIES OF ALTON I remember that our family made a couple of trips to Alton when I was about 1 1 or 12 years old. One trip we took included mom and her first four children. Elmer Roundy came by to pick us up in an old car, (it wasn’t old then) and we were very much surprised that we could get all the way up to 30 miles and hour. Needless to say it took us quite awhile to get there. I remember that mom had purchased four pair of brown keds for myself, Maxine, Dorain and Colleen and we would line up our feet in the back seat; all eight feet in a row according to size. My memory is getting dim but I think that we pulled up to Uncle Ervin and Aunt Hannah‘s place first. We were welcomed whole-heartedly by them. I remember that they had a player piano that we loved to watch. Colleen remembers that you had to step down or up from the porch to go inside and she stumbled often. My first impression of Alton was that it was fertile, with crops growing everywhere. The fields were loaded with sugar beets, corn, alphalfa, etc. There wasn’t a lot of bare ground showing. Grass was aplenty growing around the homes and barns. The view was magnificent. As we approached we could see Alton down in the valley, a very beautiful setting with pink cliffs to the east. The road we approached on was not the same as the one they have now. The road was on higher ground and farther to the north. Uncle Ervin and Aunt Hannah treated us royally. I remember visiting many other families but I have two visions of going to Alton and I don't know which trip was which. The second trip that I can remember we stopped at Bryce Canyon on the way down. On that trip we arrived in Alton in the wee hours of the moming at Uncle Lauren and Aunt Viola’s place. Mom said let's not wake them up so we slept on their front porch until dawn. It gets cold in AIton during the night but we managed. They were put out because we hadn’t awakened them. We also stayed with Uncle Pole and Aunt Zelpha for a couple of days. This was some months before their home burned to the ground in the middle of the night. Clyde Roundy, their oldest son became a good pal and friend. I remember while at PoIe’s place looking down on a dance that was going on during the weekend. It must have been in the recreation hall of the Church. Everyone seemed to be having a real enjoyable time. Many of the town’s folks were there with their instruments to provide the music. I had noticed a cute young girl, with red hair, who was apparently waiting for someone to ask her to dance. I kept wishing that l could go down and ask her to dance but, if you know me, I'm bashful. I have regretted this ever since. She was so cute. lsn’t it strange that I would remember something like this? I remember visiting with Uncle Thel at the post office and gathering around at the grocery store in conversation with others. There was an old Victrola phonograph that we would listen to. One recording that comes to mind is “Lucky Lindy” which was about Lindbergh’s flight over the Atlantic to France in his “Spirit of St. Louis”. On any trip l always felt like I was on sacred ground as we approached Alton. I guess it was because of mom and the stories she used to tell us children and how much she loved the place, Upper Kanab included. I have a faint glimpse of memory that we, as a family including dad, went to Alton for a short visit and then on to the Grand Canyon. l think we probably took in the other parks in Southem Utah on the same trip. Visiting the cemetery was a favorite thing for me to do. From there you can get a clear view of the valley and beyond to the pink cliffs. I remember Uncle Pole relating some hair-raising experiences he had up near those cliffs. Especially one experience when he was up in that area late in the season deer hunting and a snow storm came up and gave him all kinds of problems including even whether he would get back alive or not. Pole was known for his deer hunting out of season. He didn’t pay any attention to the seasons. He needed food on the table. Aunt Zelpha always had plenty of venison around, dried or otherwise. When I was about 15, l believe, l was given the opportunity to go to Alton. This would be about 1936. Mother had arranged for me to go down for a few weeks and spend some time with my cousins. A man by the name of Adair offered to take me to a place on the highway just south of the summit and someone would be there to take me the rest of the way to Alton. l only had to give Adair $4.00 for the trip. The bad part about this was that he would have to stop at various towns along the highway to drop off produce at various grocery stores. That was his business; delivering produce up and down the state. Needless to say the trip took a long time. Mom had arranged for me to stay with Uncle Pole and Aunt Zelpha. l was glad because Clyde and me had become pals on a previous trip. Clyde was a happy, golucky boy but he was also a big tease. He was always cheerful and mischievous at the same time. When he died five or six years later of an infection it shook me up terribly. He had a horse named “Bisty” that we used to ride on all the time. We would do things that normal kids do in the summertime. Do the daily chores, take our turn at thinning beets, hauling hay, milking the cows, etc. We also had time for fun. Like I said Clyde was a tease. His older sister, Melba, would always get a soaking when she retumed from a date or whatever. Clyde and me slept on the second floor and Clyde would have a cup of water ready for Melba as she came in the door on the first floor. There was a window right over the front door. Melba could get pretty angry and she could take care of Clyde but he would just laugh. Aunt Zelpha always treated me royally. Anything I wanted to eat she would prepare, including venison burgers. She prepared and packed a lunch for Clyde and me one day to get us started on a trip that I will always remember. We climbed on Bisty and started up the trail or road through Upper Kanab and way beyond that. Clyde had only the one horse and naturally he got to sit in the saddle with me behind hanging on to him for support and I tried to make myself as comfortable as possible. On the way through some birch trees we stopped and I carved my initials into one of the trees. “C.H.”. We then joumeyed further east and ran into some sheep that were being tended by a Heaton man. I can’t remember his name, but he had retumed from his mission just weeks before. We had helped him haul hay to his barn in wagons just a week before. Many years later, my wife Bernele and me located that tree with my initials on it and took a picture of it which we have. Well, anyway, that was part of what we did while at “East Fork”. That is what the place was referred to but I never found out what it was the east fork of? One reason why Clyde chose to take me to East Fork was for the fishing. There was a stream of about three to four feet wide and two or three feet deep. We hadn’t taken any fishing gear except fishhooks, worms and a little line. We had a knife to cut poles. This one day we caught forty to fifty fish. They were small but tasty. Mr. Heaton made up some sour-dough biscuits that night and we had a feast of those biscuits and the fish. Contentedly, Clyde and I slept peacefully under blankets around the fire while Mr. Heaton slept in his tent wagon. The next moming Clyde and I got on Bisty. Wow, that is when I found out how sore I was for not having a saddle to sit on. Clyde traded off once but not for very long. We had the awful experience of killing many porcupines. I could never take the lead in something like this but I followed. Apparently porcupines and sheep don't mix. I did find out that porcupines do not throw their quills. I had heard that they did and we approached them head on. While looking for porcupines I walked while Clyde rode. I had to have time to heal. Later on in years I met that Mr. Heaton and he remembered this trip very well. Uncle Pole was a fisherman and that is why Clyde was. We used to walk from Alton to a creek that ran parallel to the road where Highway 89 is now. That would be about six or seven miles from Alton. The name of the creek was Acey’s creek. The road we hiked along was a different road that is there now. It was farther north and up and down to the creek. We never did have much luck fishing that creek. Maybe one or two fish but not enough for breakfast. We walked back doing what kids our age do, throwing rocks at birds and animals, etc. We walked over to Acey’s creek at least twice while I was in Alton. We had to race each other to get back soon enough to do chores. When you go stay at someone’s house with a cousin, if there are any other cousins around, there is a chance for some jealousy. Well, that happened and Paul Roundy, son of Lauren and Viola, wanted me to move to their home and spend some time with him and so I did. I can’t remember too much of what we did besides the chores except we did try to ride some young calves that were in his corral. That is not easy. I remember a time when Laura, PauI’s older sister, was on a horse along the road that led to a barn and I was on another horse and somehow the horses started running away down that road. I was really scared since I was hanging on my horse’s saddle horn off to the side. Laura quickly turned her horse into mine towards the barn to get it to stop. I was hanging on for dear life. I think she saved it. I had the opportunity to train a couple of lambs how to drink from a milk pail while staying with Paul. I remember going with Uncle Ervin to his ranch one evening to milk his cows. That would have been the old ranch in Upper Kanab. He had a dozen or more cows to milk and I wasn’t much help. It was dark when we returned home. I remember that Uncle Carter and Aunt Bess had two sons, Raymond and Donald and that they were always fighting, each other and others. I did my best to avoid any such confrontation. I knew where Donalvin Roundy lived but didn't have much to do with his family on this trip. I remember the front door was on the west. Maybe l’m wrong. Dee was older than Clyde and me and I remember him but it wasn’t till many years later that I really got to know Dee and Martha and what a great couple they were. I didn't say anything about Clyde and I going swimming in the reservoir several times. There was even a diving board there. I don’t know if that water was used for drinking or not. One of us dove off the board and the water wasn’t too deep and hit our head in the mud below. I think it was Clyde. One thing that I am ashamed to tell is that I declined an opportunity to give a two and a half minute talk in Sunday School. That has weighed upon my mind heavily all my life. Clyde had a cheery nature and laughed when he teased others. I can remember getting soaked from milk while he was milking the cows. He had a petty good aim. I was happy to have the opportunity to join with many other people in town in their annual trek to Duck Creek. l can’t remember if it was on the 4th or 24th of July but it was a lot of fun riding in those wagons. It was a fun day. I remember that Clyde put his hand quietly under a 12-inch trout and scooped it out of the creek. Someone in the group had trout for dinner that night. We played some great games before having to rush back to get the chores done before dark. I understand now that the Kanab Stake was involved in a lot of those trips to Duck Creek. One thing I know about the people of Alton is that they know how to celebrate a holiday. They are very patriotic and love their country. They seem to thrive on those terrific holiday gatherings. In our later years there we thoroughly enjoyed being there among the pines. At that altitude the nights were cool and it was just great to visit with good people like Dee and Martha. What they did for us we can never repay. We made several trips to Alton with our trailer during the Summer months with our two youngest children with us some of the time. Dee and Martha allowed us to hook up to their water and electricity when we were there. In the evenings we enjoyed being entertained in their home with Dee telling us stories about family and the town. Martha played old tunes on the piano which was also very entertaining. I think we even sang some of them as a group. Actually, we were there so many times and attended church so often, most of the people knew us and called us by name. We enjoyed attending Martha’s Gospel Doctrine class which she presented each Sunday. She was very well versed in the gospel and made the class very interesting. At one time we considered buying a lot from Lorena but at that time there was a water shortage and the town wouldn't allow any new people to buy property. It just seemed as though Alton was home to us even though we were Salt Lake City residents. By the way, I stood up in a Fast and Testimony meeting in Alton during one of our last visits to Alton to apologize for not accepting the assignment to give a two and a half minute talk in Sunday School many years ago. We will never be able to thank the people of the community and especially Dee and Martha for their friendship and kindness to us. Whenever we stayed in Alton, Bernele and me enjoyed driving up to the old Roundy ranch. We remember the silver maples where Will had his home and the yellow roses farther east and across the road that mother used to talk about. We felt we were on hallowed ground walking around the skeletons of homes and an an old blacksmith shop. We really enjoyed our time with Uncle Pole at the ranch. We regret that because of our age we will probably never pass that way again unless we will be able to do so in the world of spirits. I have never know of a man who is so kind to animals as Dee was. I used to watch him when he fed his horses. One day I asked if he would saddle one up so I could ride around the town to bring back some old memories. I rode up and around the reservoir where Clyde and me spent some time. My memory is getting dimmer each day but this is what I do remember about Alton. If I could remember my name I would put it down! Oh Yeah! Clinton D. Hale

Life timeline of Byron Dee Roundy

Byron Dee Roundy was born on 17 May 1918
Byron Dee Roundy was 11 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Byron Dee Roundy was 21 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Byron Dee Roundy was 27 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
Byron Dee Roundy was 37 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Byron Dee Roundy was 46 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Byron Dee Roundy was 61 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Byron Dee Roundy was 65 years old when Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all time, was released. Michael Joseph Jackson was an American singer, songwriter, and dancer. Dubbed the "King of Pop", he was one of the most popular entertainers in the world, and was the best-selling music artist during the year of his death. Jackson's contributions to music, dance, and fashion along with his publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.
Byron Dee Roundy died on 7 Apr 1995 at the age of 76
Grave record for Byron Dee Roundy (17 May 1918 - 7 Apr 1995), BillionGraves Record 3736626 Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States