Boyd Carroll Lake

24 Jun 1917 - 30 Jan 2011

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Boyd Carroll Lake

24 Jun 1917 - 30 Jan 2011
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

When I was ready to be baptized in March 1997 several relatives came out to visit, including my Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Lake. We were eating in shifts and it was my Grandpa Lake's turn to eat. Mom had me transport Grandpa's bowl of oatmeal to the table and I grabbed him one of our spoons fro

Life Information

Boyd Carroll Lake

Married: 13 Jun 1939

Oakley Cemetery

823-837 N Bench Rd
Oakley, Summit, Utah
United States


June 7, 2012


June 5, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Boyd Carroll


Boyd Carroll Lake is buried in the Oakley Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Great-Grandpa Lake and his Man's Spoon

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

When I was ready to be baptized in March 1997 several relatives came out to visit, including my Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Lake. We were eating in shifts and it was my Grandpa Lake's turn to eat. Mom had me transport Grandpa's bowl of oatmeal to the table and I grabbed him one of our spoons from the silverware drawer. I placed the bowl in front of him and then handed him the teaspoon, which he picked up with mock disgust. "What's this?" he gruffed, "A thimble?" "No, Grandpa, it's a spoon." "It's puny!" he declared and handed it back. "I need a MAN'S spoon!" I went back to the silverware drawer to grab one of the bigger spoons when my older brother nudged me and gestured towards the drawer of ladles and serving spoons. I changed tactics immediately. I returned to Grandpa Lake with all of the innocence I could muster. "Will this work?" I asked sweetly, carefully displaying my 12-inch stainless steel offering. Grandpa stifled a chortle, rearranged his face, and cleared his throat importantly. "Well, that's a MAN'S spoon if I ever saw one." Grandpa Lake ate the rest of his breakfast without comment, wielding his Man's Spoon the entire time.

Boyd Lake History

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Boyd Lake Life History, Miscellaneous in yr. 2000. I graduated from High School in the spring of 1936 and shortly after graduation I was taken to the hospital to have my appendices removed. When I got my strength back after my operation, I went to work in the Brooklawn Creamery in Oakley making cheese and butter. I saved my money and so with the $650.00 of the $900 to $1000 that I had earned, I left for school at B.Y.U. (Brigham Young University) in Provo, Utah in September 1937. I had packed my worldly belongings into a suitcase that had been given to me by my sweetheart, Helen Taylor, as a Christmas present, climbed up into the back of a vegetable truck, which had been brought from Provo with a load of vegetables which the man would peddle from door to door in our valley, and I headed for BYU. As we started down the dugway at Francis, Utah, a small community on the South end of the Kamas Valley, I waved my hand at the valley and said out loud, "Good by Kamas Valley, I'll never come back here to live". I found out that we do not look into the future with reliability. Things change for us. This educational goal was not an easy one to accomplish during the depression years, but as I have indicated, my father taught me well in the art of working and I was able to work in the creamery and also at the BYU and make my education possible. My first teaching assignment was in the Duchesne County School District and I was assigned to the Roosevelt High School in Roosevelt, Utah.. This was vastly different type of work than any I had previously done, and I thank my Co-workers for the kind assistance they rendered in my behalf to make that first year successful enough that I felt I should continue in the teaching profession. I left Roosevelt during the summer 1942 to help my father on the farm in Oakley. As it ended up, I and my brothers purchased his farm. It was my intent to return in the fall to continue my teaching assignment in Roosevelt. These plans were changed, however, when the Superintendent of the South Summit High School at Kamas offered me an opportunity to teach in his school district. I accepted the position and have followed my chosen profession in that school district until the present time. My teaching assignments have changed somewhat during the ensuing years. I started out as a music teacher in Roosevelt, but when I came to South Summit I was given the additional assignment of teaching typewriting for part of the school day, but music was still my major assignment. I enjoyed teaching the business classes very much, and when the opportunity presented itself, I applied to be assigned to the business department full time. This change of assignment called for additional schooling which I enjoyed very much. I sought this training first at the L. D. S. Business College then transferred to the University of Utah. The quest for knowledge has been very interesting and rewarding as well as of a contagious nature. It seemed that I couldn't get enough schooling but it has broadened my general knowledge and led me into the assignment that I have accepted this year at South Summit at South Summit as High School Counselor and also as Clerk of the School Board. My Junior High years were filed with dreams of eventually owning a farm of my own. One stocked with cattle etc. My occupational goals at that time did not go beyond this. These early dreams were superseded by others as I neared completion of High School. I recall feeling that I would like to be anything rather than a farmer, and at the time that I finally left to go to college it was my feeling that I would never return to a farm. In the place of the farm dream came one that I never saw materialize. I dreamed of becoming a great conductor. I would dream of producing operas and conducting symphony orchestras. I did graduate with a degree in music and did conduct high school bands, orchestras, and choruses.. I must have realized that I had made a wrong choice before I ever graduated from college, because I changed my dream or at least modified it to the point that I sought a teaching certificate and set aside the dream of going further in music. It was only through pure luck that the Superintendent of the South Summit School District offered me a contract to teach in his district and frightened me with the thoughts of teaching typewriting -- I had had one year of typing in high school which constituted my training in that area . Boyd Carroll Lake -- Education and Church assignments and training- EDUCATIONAL TRAINING: 1937-41 -- Attended Brigham Young University where I received a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a Major in Music and a Minor in Speech. 1946-53 -- Attended L.D.S. Business College and University of Utah to obtain training in Business Administration (Bookkeeping, typing and shorthand) so I could teach business full time. 1962-68 -- Attended University of Utah working toward, and received in 1968, a Master Degree with a major in Educational Psychology and a minor in Educational Administration. I received a Professional Certificate with General Administration and Counselor endorsements. 1974-76 -- Attended University of Utah for training in Special Education so I could teach it. PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE: 1941-42 -- Taught Music at Roosevelt High School in the Duchesne School District. (one year only). We were preparing to go to Roosevelt to teach another year when the Superintendent of South Summit School District contacted me and offered me a job teaching in South Summit if I would agree to teach typewriting along with the music classes that I would teach. 1942-46 --Taught Music (Band) and Business (Typewriting) at South Summit High School. I also had a class in English, Science or Math to teach each year in the 6th, 7th, or 8th grades. One year I was called upon to teach Physics. 1946-63 --Taught the Business subjects Typing, Bookkeeping, High-Speed longhand. I also taught a class or two of 8th grade Math or English from time to time. I was called into the music department to teach band at times when another teacher was not available. 1963-73 -- I was assigned to be the Counseling and Pupil Personnel Director at South Summit School District. I was also asked to be the Clerk of the Board of Education along with doing the counseling etc. 1972-73 -- I was elected President of the State Guidance Counselors. 1973-74 -- I was released as Counselor and Pupil Personnel Director and, by my request, I was given the music department again. I had the bands, choruses, 7th & 8th grade music programs. 1975-80 -- I transferred from the music department to the Special Education department. 1980-84 --I retired from teaching. One year during my teaching at South Summit, I was elected as the President of the South Summit Teachers Association. CHURCH CALLINGS: 1945-51 -- Sunday School Superintendent Oakley Ward. Amos Franson & Charles Rolfe Counselors, Utahna Saxton Secretary 1945-59 -- I served as one of the Presidents of the 242 Quorum of Seventy. We had a very active quorum and did many projects. 19 May 1952 to 27 February 1955 -- Stake Mission President of the South Summit Stake. Roland Peacock and Eugene Nye Counselors and Don Wright Sec. 1959-63 --Member of the Stake High Council in South Summit Stake. 1963-71 --March 10, 1963, I was called as Bishop of the Oakley Ward and served until October 14, 1971. I was ordained Bishop on 15 March 1963 by Sterling W. Sill at the Church Office Building in Salt Lake City, Utah. MY LINE OF AUTHORITY: Boyd Carroll Lake ordained by Sterling W. Sill. Sterling W. Sill was ordained by Henry H. Blood, Henry H, Blood by Hyrum Smith, Hyrum Smith by Joseph F. Smith, Joseph F. Smith by Brigham Young. Brigham Young by Prophet Joseph Smith Jr., Joseph Smith Jr. by Peter, James and John, Peter James and John by Jesus Christ. 1963-68 -- Served as Clerk of the Board for the South Summit School District. 1971-75 -- Stake Clerk, Kamas Utah Stake. I started as Financial Clerk to help Ralph Franson. He left and I was called as Stake Clerk. 1985-86 -- May 1985 to November 1986 Helen and I served as missionaries in the Johannesburg South Africa Mission. We were stationed in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe for the full time. 1986-87 -- Oakley Ward Sunday School Superintendent. 1987- 98 -- Helen and I served as Temple Ordinance workers from the 17 November 1997 until illness caused us to terminate 8 April 1998. We have not been able to go back as Ordinance Workers but have attended the Temple as patrons from time to time. 1988- Helen and I served as Family History Representatives for Oakley Ward. 1994-99 -- Helen and I served as the Oakley Ward History Representatives. We wrote and provided copies of the Oakley Ward Centennial History. We continued to keep a current history of the Ward until February 1999 when Bishop Maynes indicated we were not needed any longer in that calling. We were recalled December 26 1999 because of a letter received from the General Authorities of the Church indicating that each Ward should keep a current history and submit a copy of it to the Stake by 15 January each year starting with the year 2001. Blessings and Ordinations: 5 August 1917 -- Blessed by Wayne H. Redd. 5 July 1925 -- Confirmed by Leonard K. Jones. 23 June 1929 -- Ordained a Deacon by Gilbert Wilde. 5 March 1933 -- Ordained a Teacher by Gilbert Wilde. 7 October 1934 -- Ordained a Priest by Thomas LaMar Frazier. 17 September 1938 -- Ordained an Elder by Millard A. Andrus. 21 February 1943 -- Ordained a Seventy by Rufus K. Hardy. 19 May 1952 -- 27 February 1955 -- Mission President of South Summit Stake 17 May 1959 -- Ordained a High Priest by Alvin R. Dyre 17 May 1959 -- Called to the Stake High Council. 10 March 1963 -- Ordained Bishop. Oakley Ward by Sterling W. Sill TO MY SON DAVID from his loving Father Boyd C. Lake 27 May 1997 It has been a rather difficult day and I would like to say a few words to my son David. It was September 1932 when I entered the South Summit High School as a Freshman student and met a fellow student, a young girl by the name of Helen Beard Taylor, that I knew that I had found my sweetheart and future wife. We were married 13 June 1939 and fourteen months later a baby girl was born to us and brought us great joy. Another little girl was born to us another sixteen months later which again brought much joy and happiness, however at the time of Renee's birth, Doctor Oldham told Helen that it would not be wise for us to have more children because of the excessive bleeding which she had at the birth of her children. He furnished her with the latest birth control devices and information and we felt that we now had our full family even though we had planned to have five children. Time passed and we were very happy as a little family. Sometime following the time Renee was born, my feelings and desires to have a son began to develop. I do not know at what point it began but I do recall that in June 1945 I came in from the fields late one night and found my sweet wife in bed. I remember it as if it was today, that I kneeled down by the side of our bed to say my nightly prayers but for some reason this prayer was one that I would never forget. In that prayer, I asked Heavenly Father to touch Helen's heart and let her be willing to consent to give birth to another child. That night "the son of my prayers" was conceived and you. David, was born to us on 8 March 1946. I thank my Heavenly Father for you. I am also reminded of another man, my father, who wanted a son very badly and he and his wife had prayed for years after having lost their first son, that another son would come into their lives. I knew as a child and even as I grew to be a man that I was highly favored by my father. I didn't understand why until the "child of my prayers" changed my life so much. We had been working in the Salt Lake Temple and that was when it really impressed me of the blessings that were mine. As I would take the part of Peter and present the Second Token of The Aaronic Priesthood, in the World Room, stand there and recite from the script, "and if my name were David". I have never yet done this that I have not felt the presence of my "son of prayer" there with me. My David, our David, and I have came to know the feeling that my father had. I sometimes regret that I did not recognize it earlier because it was my lot to place him in the rest home. I will never forget the day that I took him down to the rest home. He wanted me to just take him to his home at 160 West 2nd North in Salt Lake, where he and mother had lived before she passed away, but I said to him, "Oh Dad, you can't go there with all of those women." "But Boyd, I can". But I took him that day to the rest home. As I went there to visit him later, he had a big black eye. Some fellow in the room, with a heavy ring on his finger, had hit him in the eye with his fist doubled up. There was a man whom I had known earlier in life who at that time became a true friend to me. His name was Frank Johnson. (His grandson, Robert W. Johnson, lives here in Oakley.) When this happened to my father, Frank took him into his room with him and made arrangements for him to stay there. He cared for him and helped him through the trials. Later our family had taken a trip into California and were on our way back. We stopped at a Motel in Nevada and I had a feeling that my father needed and wanted me. We stopped at the rest home the next day as we got into Salt Lake only to find that my father had passed away the day before, calling for his son Boyd to come to him to help him. This experience in the Temple has helped me to realize how like my fathers situation my own situation with "my son of prayer' has been. Thank you David. I want you to know that I love you, love you so very much and hope that someday you will truly realize the love that I feel for you. May the Lord bless you and help you in your life and in your callings as well as with your family. Love Dad (Boyd Carroll Lake)

Temple Ordinance Workers

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

TEMPLE ORDINANCE WORKER by Boyd C. Lake My wife, Helen, and I responded to a call to serve as Temple Ordinance Workers in the Salt Lake Temple. The call came in the form of a letter dated October 22, 1987. We were interviewed by President D. Hatch Howard, a Counselor to President Denny, on Wednesday November 11, 1987. A few days later we were set apart by President F. Briton McConkie, another Counselor to President Denny, and started to serve. We live in Oakley, Utah and so have to travel 50 miles one way to get to Salt Lake City. We elected to work in the evening of one day and the morning of the following day. This would require only one trip to Salt Lake but we would have to spend the night there. We made arrangements to stay at the Travelodge Motel on 144 West, North Temple which has worked out very well for us. We go to the Temple at 3:00 P. M. on Tuesday and work until the evening sessions are complete or until we are excused to go to the motel. We then leave for the Temple again at 4:25 A. M. on Wednesday morning and work until the 10:15 session is completed at about noon at which time we return home I had decided when we were called that I should prepare myself to be able to serve wherever I was needed. I therefore set out to learn all of the parts, including the Summary Lecture, as repidly as I possible could so that I would be ready to serve in any capacity to which I should be called to serve. I was able to accomplish this goal within the year. It was a great day for me when we were invited to prepare for the couple part because in that capacity I would be working with my good wife. What a wonderful experience it is to stand in the Terrestrial room while we are waiting for the tokens to be completed and to look over to the opposite side of the room and see my sweetheart, Helen, standing there all dressed in white. I stand there looking at her and thank my Heavenly Father for the privilege that has been mine to have her as my sweetheart and wife. We have now been serving for just over ten years, this being the 30 November 1997, and we have enjoyed every day that we have been privileged to be there. Illness finally caused us to terminate our service in the Temple on 8 April 1998. We still go through sessions in the temple when ever we can.

The tractor seat

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

When I was a little boy, dad took an old tricycle seat and fixed in on the tractor just in front of him so I could ride on the tractor as he worked in the fields. This was wonderful for me. After I was older and had children and we moved back to Oakley, dad installed two car seats on the fenders of our tractor so JoEllen and Alisha could ride on the tractor in the field. Dad was always thinking of ways to bring joy to children. By David Lake

A visit to the prison

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Shortly after dad died, I ran over Alisha and Josh's dog Jake. He was chasing the front tire on the tractor and got caught under it and I ran over his head killing him instantly. It was very traumatic for me and I felt horrible. For the next three days, every time I went outside I kept looking for him like he was still around. I remember two days later finding our other dog Meko lying by his grave. She too seemed to sense him still around and missed him. I went over to her and talked with her for a few minutes, petted her and then said a short prayer at the grave and she never went back to it. On the Monday following his death, I went back to teach institute in the prison and was still troubled by his death, so I remember talking about it with the women I was teaching, and I remember saying something to the effect that now Jake could come into the prison and watch me teach. Jake was always by my side when ever I went out. He would follow me when I was in the field on the tractor or when I was working. As I told the women that he could now visit the prison with me, it was like I felt him there and I remember I reached down like I was petting him once again. As I was leaving the prison I wondered about what I had felt and knew that Jake had come that day, and that dad had brought him to see me. I felt that Jake was waiting for direction on what he should do next and that is why he waited around at the house until dad finally came and got him, took him to see me and then took him on to where he was to go. I had one day before this right after dad died, that one of the men told me he saw dad watching me teach in the prison. I also had someone identify Margene's sister Shirley's picture and told me he had seen her watching me teach about three weeks after she died. I have felt dad around a few times watching what I am doing and I hope he approves of what I have done with the farm. I miss him and his advice. I know that those who have passed on are very aware of us and want us to do what is right and be happy. David Lake

Boyd Carroll Lake

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Dad always taught me by his example. I know he loved me. One of the great things I remember is that when I was very little he put a tricycle seat in front of his seat on the tractor so I could ride with him as he drove the tractor. He was always doing special things for me. He made me a zip line when I was little. We used it for years. It was from the old cottonwood tree in our back yard to the hillside and we stopped by dragging on the ground. All the neighbor hood kids loved to ride on it. I also remember going to General Priesthood with dad at the Stake Center. We were at the first time it was available over the phone for our Stake. The phone was down for over half the session.

Life timeline of Boyd Carroll Lake

Boyd Carroll Lake was born on 24 Jun 1917
Boyd Carroll Lake was 12 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 22 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 28 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 40 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 52 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 61 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 64 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 73 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Boyd Carroll Lake was 86 years old when Invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries (the UK, Australia and Poland) begin military operations in Iraq. The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the first stage of the Iraq War. The invasion phase began on 20 March 2003 and lasted just over one month, including 21 days of major combat operations, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Poland invaded Iraq. This early stage of the war formally ended on 1 May 2003 when U.S. President George W. Bush declared the "end of major combat operations", after which the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) was established as the first of several successive transitional governments leading up to the first Iraqi parliamentary election in January 2005. U.S. military forces later remained in Iraq until the withdrawal in 2011.
Boyd Carroll Lake died on 30 Jan 2011 at the age of 93
Grave record for Boyd Carroll Lake (24 Jun 1917 - 30 Jan 2011), BillionGraves Record 1367387 Oakley, Summit, Utah, United States