Blaine Reed Larsen

30 Sep 1920 - 1 Oct 1977


Blaine Reed Larsen

30 Sep 1920 - 1 Oct 1977
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Blaine Reed Larsen (30 Sep 1920 - 1 Oct 1977) at Orem Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Blaine Reed Larsen
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Blaine Reed Larsen

Married: 10 Apr 1941

Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States

July 9, 2011


July 3, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Blaine Reed...

We found more records about Blaine Reed Larsen.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Blaine Reed


Blaine Reed Larsen is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



How Beth met Blaine

Contributor: Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

During her last year of high school, Beth also attended drama school. It was a dance studio with hardwood floors that doubled as a drama school, across the street from the BY Academy. A husband and wife ran the school: the wife taught dancing and the husband taught drama. The school's plays were put on at the Paramount Theater. In one play, Beth was Fannie the maid. Mother made the costume- a typical maid's outfit. She danced and sang and loved it. Blaine was on the dancing team as part of the Adagio. In Adagio dancing, two men toss a girl all around and catch her. Blaine though Beth was cute and asked her out. There were a few other guys that she liked better than him, but she went out with him anyways. Then she and Blaine started going together. He was sweet and he was a good ballroom dancer. They would dance and dance. He was good-looking, strong, and a gentleman. He was also a religious person. Beth had gone to church a little as she was growing up, mostly just primary, but she had never been baptized. Blaine told her she needed to get baptized, and he baptized her. They dated for about two and a half years, and then one night at a dance in Lakeshore, Blaine asked Beth to marry him. It was hard for Beth to settle down because she was young and feisty and still dreamed of being an actress, but that was just what women were expected to do at that time because they could not support themselves.

Married life of Blaine and Beth Larsen

Contributor: Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Beth had about three wedding showers before they got married. It was a very small wedding performed by her Uncle Elmo in his home. Elmo was a first counselor in a bishopric and got special permission to perform the wedding. According to Beth they “couldn’t afford the down payment on a free lunch” so the wedding was simple and no honeymoon followed. Beth and Blaine were able to live in Molly’s home after they were married because Molly was in Colorado helping her daughter Florence who was dying of cancer. Beth and Blaine watched the house and took care of the fruit orchard. Eventually they moved to a two0room apartment in Mapleton. Blaine got a job working at the Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe plant. It paid one hundred dollars a month, which at that time was a very high paying job. When Blaine went to work Beth stayed home to cook, bottle fruit, clean, and do dishes. They liked to have fun when he had free time, and made it a point to go to see a movie once a week. When Beth discovered she was pregnant with their first child, they were both excited. When she was just a few months pregnant, Beth and Blaine were sealed in the temple. Soon after, Blaine joined the Navy and left for boot camp in Idaho. After boot camp, they moved to a Naval base in Shoemaker, California. When Michael was born they had a lot of fun with him. Beth recalled an occasion when they had just bathed Michael and laid him on a towel when Blaine got squirted right in the face. During WWII, Blaine had to go overseas to the Philippines and to China. He was the cook on a ship, but if they were to get in a battle he had to man the guns. Luckily they never had a battle. Beth and Blain kept in touch through letters, Beth writing nearly every day. Beth and Blaine had eight children in all: Michael, Richard, Brad, Barbara, Robin, Steve, Mary and JaNell. Blaine was helpful with the babies, taking his turn to change diapers and sometimes got up with the babies at night to let Beth sleep. Beth said that the hardest thing about being a parent was trying to teach their children morals and worrying about them. As a family they had fun together going camping, picnicking and to drive-in movies. They usually went to the drive-in on the weekends and took hamburgers, fries and root beer with them for dinner. After Blaine got out of the Navy, they moved back to Utah. Blaine opened a restaurant in Clearfield and later an A&W in Provo. Beth’s mother lived nearby and the children loved to spend time at their grandmother’s home. The family enjoyed going camping and going on drives up to Washington, Oregon and Montana. Beth recalls a trip they took to southern Utah to see the Canyon lands. Eventually Blaine began working as a free-lance bricklayer. This meant he worked during good weather, but was out of work in the winter. During good weather Blaine was often gone for several weeks working on projects in southern Utah or other places. When Blaine was away working, Beth took care of kids and the housework by herself. During the winter, he earned only a small monthly compensation. They struggled to cover all of their bills and just barely got by. Mike went on a mission and Richard left on a mission before Mike returned. Neither Beth nor Blaine was willing to accept financial assistance from the church, and supporting two missionaries put a financial strain on the family. To help cover their expenses Beth went to work as a nurse at the State Hospital. Her earnings helped pay for the missionaries who both required about $160 a month. Beth worked afternoon and midnight shifts. As a family they always went to church, so after working the midnight shift on Saturdays she would return home and go to church with the family. She can remember falling asleep holding the baby. Blaine was good to help out during those times with taking care of the kids and fixing dinner. Those times were very stressful because the money was so scarce. Blaine had too many pressures on him with work, a big family to support and house payments. When he was about 41 or 42 he started to get sick (mental illness) and in 1977 he passed away (suicide). After Blaine passed away, Beth continued working at the State Hospital until she retired. She would spend time with her good friends Louise Hechtle and Dora Mangham. They went to dances and movies and just had a good time together.

Letter from Helen Reed Brereton to Haylee Larsen regarding Mary Elizabeth Brereton

Contributor: Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I first met your Grandma when she was 17. She was a small cute little auburn longhaired bubble. Always enthusiastic about anything that was fun. I was the new girlfriend of her brother Howard (John). We visited back and forth between Payson (where I lived) and Provo where she lived; we traveled on the bus to get back and forth. She kind of liked a boy in Payson I knew. She dated him a few times and decided he wasn't her kind of guy. There was a new radio station just introduced in Provo-KOVO. She spent a lot of time there singing and dancing. She met a young man there she went all gaga over. His name was Blaine. It was quite a while before he asked her for a date. Of course she had lots of friends and dated quite a lot. He girlfriends and boyfriends group dated a lot and had a lot of fun. They danced and sang a lot. She has such a beautiful voice. They were just a good clean fun group. But when Blaine finally asked her for a date I didn't know if we were going to save her, until the time came for the date and then she got cold feet and didn't want to go. They had fun. Blaine was a settled type of person; Beth was a kind of flighty fun-loving person. There was a new song out that was something about scatterbrain she sang so much, so Blaine called her "Scatterbrain." We went away for a year for work and during this time they were married. Her sister Bud (Florence) and I made her a wedding cake and mailed it from Colorado. I don't know what it looked like when it got to her. I think Blaine baptized her. In time we came back to Provo to live and they had been to the temple and Blaine was in the Navy, and she was expecting Mike. Johnnie and I had a little boy Gene who was 3 years old. We all stayed with Grandma Molly for a while. Beth took Gene with her a lot, he was her lover. They laughed a lot about celebrating because he pronounced it "cellerbraking." When Blaine came back to the states she joined him in Pleasanton California and they were in Cordelaine, Idaho too. After Blaine was out of the service they settled in Mapleton for a while. Beth had really difficult pregnancies. I swear she started morning sickness a month before she was pregnant. Anyway, she gave all she had in strength, health, energy, love, just everything for their children. She and Blaine worked together too and gave all they had to raise the children and made them who they are today. Your dad (Richard) was the cutest little brown-eyed bundle of mischief that ever lived. She had he and Mike close together and they were a handful. While she was getting one of Richard's hand out of trouble, the other one (Mike) was behind her getting into trouble somewhere else. Beth always had a lot of friends. There was a Davis family she was real friendly with. All their girls spent a lot of time in their home. From babies up she had a friend that lived across the street from her named Alene Pierce. They were inseparable. I think they were 16 or 17 and Alene died of a brain tumor. Beth has never really gotten over that. Till yet she still talks about this. She had another, Josephine Booth, she loved so much. I don't know what I can tell you about Blaine. He was a real hard worker. He loved his kids, taught them how to work. He was a good man, compassionate. They played together, but Blaine was a serious person. He loved Beth very much. I don't know if what I have written will help. Hope you can read it. If I rewrite it you'd probably never get it. I'll answer any questions you have. You can call me anytime. I am proud of you for doing this for your Grandmother and the rest of your family. Love, Aunt Helen

Letter from Lorraine Larsen to Haylee Larsen

Contributor: Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Dear Haylee, We were glad to hear of your project to write a biography of your Grandmother Beth. She is and always will be a great lady. As I look back on all the events that have happened in her life, I am amazed at her ability to keep fighting in the face of much heartache and disappointment. I'm sure much joy and satisfaction also in her children and grandchildren. When we were married is when I first came to know her. She was such a tiny thing and had such a big family. I was amazed she could do all she did for them, but she always had a smile on her face and a positive attitude whenever it was my privilege to talk to her. Paul and I visited her and Blaine fairly often when they lived in Provo and enjoyed their friendship very much. By this time we were having our children and I realized even more how hard she had to work to take care of her family. I have always loved her great attitude towards life. It has really been an inspiration to me, and as the years go by it grows more. Blaine was a great guy up until he became sick. Then it was very hard for us to understand him and why he did the things he did. I guess we will never understand it. He was a very hard worker and we enjoyed his friendship. Our lives have been enriched by having know them both. May the Lord continue to bless Beth and we wish her always the very best, and all the joy and happiness she so richly deserves for her great ability to endure through much hardship. Thank you for giving u this opportunity to contribute to your endeavor to compile her history. Yours Truly, Paul and Lorraine Larsen

Mary Larsen Perry's thoughts on her mother, Beth Larsen

Contributor: Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

One of my fondest memories of Mom was when I came home from school. She had hot loafs of homemade bread on the cupboard. She would have spent the morning making bread before she went to work. Us kids would eat at least a loaf each and she would have to make more the next day. I remember once we had planned a picnic. We woke up that morning and it was raining. It rained all day. We kids were so disappointed. Nevertheless, mom had decided that we would still have our picnic so she laid a blanket on the floor in the family room and we had our picnic. We had a TV occasionally. Most of the time it was broken. So I grew up with no TV until I was about fourteen. I think that if we had a TV, I would not have had the love of books that I do now. Mother was always taking me to the library in the summer so I could read all the books I wanted. Mom was always there for me, I remember the many surgeries I had and she was always there comforting a very scared child. She stayed up with me all night when my appendix broke and she did her best to make the pain go until we could get to the hospital. I could not wait for her to come and be with me in my room in the hospital. Since I can remember, Mother worked. I know that if she could, she would have stayed home with her children. I remember in the fall we would all help with the canning. Everyone had a job to do. Steven's and my job was to wash the bottles. I washed because my hand was the smallest to reach in and get all those scary spiders out! I thought we would never finish washing all those jars each year. Mother has shown so much love to everyone she has met. She has many people that love her dearly. She had been a good example to her children and grandchildren. Christmas times in our family were always fun. We got to choose one present that we really wanted and it was always there on Christmas morning with added surprises, and we always had good things to eat. Dad was a person who was always hugging everyone. He would make sure my friends got a hug when they came over. At first they thought it was strange but after a while they did not mind. Dad made sure we had things to do; we were responsible for the many animals. I remember one chore I had was to feed the goats. Dad had JaNell and I get up about 6:00 a.m. before school and bottle-feed our herd of goats. I think we had eight to ten goats. I remember being so tired and so cold I did not want to get up and go out in the snowstorm and feed those "dumb goats". Dad never told us that he bought those goats for food, so when it was dinnertime, and there was a roast on the table, JaNell and I found out that this was our pet "Queenie" and we refused to eat. We sat there and cried over our beloved pet. Dad was not too happy with us. Dad was a good cook, but sometimes he cooked weird things. He usually had breakfast ready when we went to school. One morning he had made oatmeal for us, he must have had some leftover hotdogs so he had put them in with the oatmeal. There were these hotdogs floating in our cereal and we were expected to eat it or it would be waiting for us at dinner. He did the same with liver and oatmeal. It was not too bad if you put a lot of sugar in the cereal. Some of us kids left the table many times with full pockets and empty bellies. Dad was strict with his children. He taught us the value of work. I know that he loved us, and he did the best he knew how. He would be proud of his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I am glad that I had two parents who loved me, and I love them. They taught me to be kind, loving, honest, and to give to others. I hope that I have instilled those qualities in my children.

JaNell Larsen remembers her parents

Contributor: Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I was the youngest of eight children. My nickname was Nellie, but mom called me Nellie-Bell. One of my fondest memories of growing up was the fact, because I was the youngest, I had mom all to myself all day until my brothers and sisters came home from school. I remember crying as all of my older siblings left for school. I would watch out the window and cry as they got on the big yellow bus to go to school. I would cry to my mom and she would always tell me that I would someday be able to ride that bus too, but right now she needed me to be with her so she wouldn't be lonely, and that comforted me. She also would tell me that we were going to have a lot of fun together because she loved me best of all the girls in the world. I remember thinking I was pretty special. Mom worked nights, swings and graveyard shifts. She would spend most of her day preparing meals for the night, cleaning and doing wash. She always made bread, it seems like she made it daily. She would always let me help, and I also got to make my own little loaf that I could have at my tea party with my dolls. I would sit on the table and mom would always say, "Tables were made for glasses, not for a_____." But she would never say the last word and I said to her, "Not what mama, tell me!" and she would say, "You know what!" and I would answer, "No I don't mama, what?" and she would just keep telling me, "You know what!" We would also go to the store and get something special to eat for lunch like Lynn Wilson tamales or a Jeno's Pizza. Wow, I thought that was neat. Mom always worked hard to provide a good home, great meals, and maybe the little extras that our dad didn't believe in. Don't get me wrong, my Dad was a good provider too, he just didn't believe in frills or extras. Dad was a strong man, and he was always trying to instill the virtues of hard work, honesty and humility. Dad was also a pack rat. He would save everything, including Clorox bottles, milk jugs, and empty cardboard rolls. Dad was also very stern about chores. We as a family rose out of bed on Saturday at about 7am for chores. We would work all day until about 4pm or 5pm and then get ready to go to the Pioneer Drive-in. Mom would pop a big paper sack of popcorn and have a jug of lemonade, or a real treat was a can of Shasta pop. Mary and I got to wear our pajamas (because we got home so late) and we would take turns laying in the rear window of the old Chrysler and watch the movie. I remember dad coming home from work dead-tired and he would sit in the chair and let me comb, curl and barrette his hair as he sat there and read the paper. Dad loved us all dearly. I feel I came from a great family and Mom and Dad had a lot to do with that. All of our family would get together for Family Home Evening every Monday and afterwards have a treat and play games. We always made it fun. Mother has always tried to make me feel special and confident about life and myself. She always acted strong even in the worst of times. She has been there for me and others and I am very grateful that God chose her for me. I love you mom! Sayings that mom used: -While you're eating your sack lunch, I'll be having a banquet -Love goes where it is sent, even if it is in a manure pile -What does it matter, six of one or a 1/2 dozen of the other

Life timeline of Blaine Reed Larsen

Blaine Reed Larsen was born on 30 Sep 1920
Blaine Reed Larsen was 19 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
See More
Blaine Reed Larsen was 25 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
See More
Blaine Reed Larsen was 37 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
See More
Blaine Reed Larsen was 43 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
See More
Blaine Reed Larsen died on 1 Oct 1977 at the age of 57
Grave record for Blaine Reed Larsen (30 Sep 1920 - 1 Oct 1977), BillionGraves Record 44579 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States