Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood)

28 May 1937 - 6 Jun 2006

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood)

28 May 1937 - 6 Jun 2006
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) (28 May 1937 - 6 Jun 2006) at Orem Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood)


Orem Cemetery

1520 North 800 East
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States



Headstone Description


Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Beverly Joyce...

We found more records about Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood).

Grave Site of Beverly Joyce


Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Beverly Joyce Wood (1937 - 2006)

Contributor: Dieselbeetle Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Beverly was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1967 while living in California. She was the second member of her family to join the Church. Soon thereafter she and her family moved to Utah, later re-locating to Montana and then to Idaho. Left a widow at age 39 with 10 children and no college degree, Beverly went to work as a janitor. She graduated with an associate of science degree from Ricks College (now Brigham Young University-Idaho) and then with a bachelors degree and two masters degrees from Brigham Young University in Provo. She gained employment at BYU-Provo and eventually retired from the University as a Senior Librarian in Family History and government documents. Bev was a great genealogist, successfully searching out the names of thousands of her ancestors. After retirement, she moved to Ava, Missouri where she loved and bred show dogs. Beverly did a considerable amount of traveling while employed at BYU, but always took the train - even cross-country - because she hated to fly. She passed away in Missouri and her brother was relieved when he learned she had not "turned over in her casket" on the plane trip back to Utah to be buried. She is interred next to her parents in the Orem City Cemetery, Orem, Utah.

Jack William Norton (1929 - 1977)

Contributor: Dieselbeetle Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Jack William Norton was a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was the first member of his family to join the Church. He and his wife Beverly Joyce Wood joined the Church on June 17, 1967, having sought out the missionaries following the baptism of Beverly's brother. Jack was born in Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio, on 31 July 1929, the second son and last of four children born to William Hyrum Norton and Margaret Esther Hover. He graduated from high school and enrolled in the United States Army. His service included duty in Korea during the Korean War, where he served as a military policeman and obtained the rank of Sergeant. An interesting tidbit from his experience in the war was that Jack always complained of the noise that tanks made when they would drive by one of his checkpoints. Thirty years later, Jack's oldest son would become a commissioned officer in the United States Army as a tanker! Following the war, in September 1955, Jack enrolled as a student at Wayne State Teachers College in Wayne, Nebraska. That fall he met Beverly, who was also a student at the College. At the end of the school year in the early summer of 1956, Jack accompanied Beverly to her home in California to meet her parents. Much to the chagrin of Bev's parents, Jack and Beverly eloped and were married at the Wayfarer's Chapel Glass Church in Portuguese Bend, California on Tuesday, July 17, 1956. Shortly thereafter, Jack and Beverly moved to Youngstown, Ohio where Jack's family lived. The couple's oldest son, Timothy, was born there a year and a day after their marriage. Eventually Jack and Bev's family would include nine natural children and one adopted son. While in Ohio, Jack began an apprenticeship as a lay minister in the Episcopal Church and was assigned to labor in the Detroit, Michigan area. Later, deciding they did not wish to pursue the ministry, Jack and Bev returned to California where Jack secured employment with the Bank of America. After serving as an Operations Officer at several branches of the bank, Jack was transferred to the Bay Area where he worked at Bank of America world headquarters in San Francisco. It was while he was in the Bay Area that Jack and Bev invited the missionaries to teach the family. Jack suffered health problems related to the pressures and stress of his work at the bank and decided to return to school to complete his education. He enrolled at Brigham Young University and, with much sacrifice from the whole family, completed a Bachelor's Degree in Speech and Dramatic Arts in August, 1972, and one year later, a Master's Degree in Communicative Habilitation in August, 1973. Following his graduation, Jack worked for several school districts in Montana, Utah, and finally in Idaho. The family was living in Rexburg, Madison, Idaho on Saturday, June 5, 1976 when the Teton Dam burst. With just minutes to spare, they evacuated their home and hurried to higher ground on the campus of Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) as the floodwaters rushed towards them. Their home was completely inundated by the flood and condemned as inhabitable. The family lost all of their possessions. They remained in campus housing for several months before they were able to secure emergency relief from the Federal Government (FEMA) in the form of two house trailers. They purchased property in Hibbard, just outside of Rexburg, and moved the trailers there, eventually building a home on the property. Although not listed as a victim of the flood, Jack was never the same afterwards. He suffered from the effects of depression and the pressures of the forced evacuation. He passed away on Sunday, May 1, 1977 in the family home in Hibbard. He was just 47 years old. Jack is buried in the Rexburg City Cemetery. Since all of the family's possessions were lost in the flood, there are almost no pictures existent. The photo attached here, taken on his honeymoon, is one of only a few that exist of Jack.

May Isabelle McGregor (1876 - 1947)

Contributor: Dieselbeetle Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

On July 4, 1876, Daniel and Isabelle Kennedy McGregor welcomed the birth of their fifth daughter. A centennial baby, born in Port Hope, Huron, Michigan, on the day their new country celebrated its 100th birthday, she was to be the only native-born American in the family. [The rest of the family was from Canada, having immigrated in 1874.] She was named May Isabelle and she joined a family of five other children, four girls and one boy. May remembered that in 1881, there was a large fire that swept over the thumb area of Michigan. Many towns and much of the forests were, if not completely destroyed, at least heavily damaged. As the flames approached Bloomfield where the family was living, the men of the village dug trenches near the river. They placed the women and children in these ditches and then covered them with large wooden planks and carpets, which had been taken from their houses. The men then took turns running out to the river and throwing buckets of water on the carpets to keep them from burning. It must have been a real steam bath for the women and children. When May was sixteen years old she developed a school-girl crush on her teacher. The young man was probably little older than she and exactly how serious this crush was, or whether the teacher reciprocated it, no one now seems to know. May’s father, Daniel, however, must have considered it to be very serious because he sent her to live with her older sister, Jeannette Getty, the wife of Heman Getty, also of Bloomfield. The Getty’s, however, were now living in Gunnison, Colorado. This must have seemed very harsh to the young girl, and as time went on, it became even worse. Never again was she to see either of her parents alive. Her mother died [a] few years later, and her sister, Lillian, who was just older than she, was shuttled off to an insane asylum, without May’s knowledge, when her father Daniel married a young woman little older than May herself. Lillian was not insane, but merely an epileptic who had managed very well at home until her father’s re-marriage. Lillian was never again seen by May and it was more than fifty years before [May] was to see the majority of her siblings again. While working in Gunnison, May met young William James Wood. He was known to everyone as Will and had come to Colorado from Oklahoma where he had participated in the Oklahoma land rush some time before. Within two weeks of meeting, Will and May were married [on 10 August 1897]. Will and his new wife moved from Gunnison to Bachelor or Creede, Colorado. The 1900 census shows they were living in Bachelor, but Will was running the newspaper in Creede with a friend that he had known in Arkansas. On January 31, 1904, May was delivered of a little girl. Whether she lived only a few hours or if she were stillborn is in question, but her mother was naturally very upset at her death. February 11, 1906 saw May and Will with a new baby. However, this son, whom they named William Stuart was only to live for seven months, until September 18, 1906. The reason for his death is unknown. In the summer of 1906, Will and May moved to Paonia, Colorado leaving behind the two small graves of their children. Will and May apparently stayed in Paonia only a few years because June of 1912 saw them in Cedaredge, Colorado with a new son whom they had named William Scott. On August 21, 1914, another son, Sidney Jay, was born to May and Will in Crawford, Colorado. These two sons lived to maturity. In the town of Crawford, for the second time in her life, May faced fire. The reason for the fire is not known, but it burned a large part of the town before the volunteer fire department could get it under control. It must have been a forceful reminder to May of the fire she had lived through as a child. As the fire raged, it appeared that it would soon reach the Wood’s house and the post office where Will was postmaster. May hastily packed an old trunk with the boys’ clothes and the important papers from the post office and the store Will also owned. Since all the men were busy fighting the fire, she and Jay, who was about ten, carried the trunk down by the river, which ran a few blocks from their house. Fortunately, both the store and post office escaped damage. The next day, when the fire was finally out, Will went to get the trunk back from the banks of the river. It took all the efforts of two grown men to bring it back to the house. Adrenalin must have indeed been running high in both May and Jay the night before. On July 19, 1927, Will was involved in a tragic automobile accident, which resulted in his death three days later. May assumed his responsibilities in the family store and was appointed postmaster in his stead. Six years later, on August 6, 1933, May married a family friend, Charles Arthur Cline in Los Angeles, California. She and Art lived in California the rest of her life. Jay and his wife, Lola, lived there and Scott and his wife, Emma, lived not too far away in Henderson, Nevada. May enjoyed her two grandchildren, Scott Wood, Jr., and Beverly Wood, Jay’s daughter. In August 1946, Scott and Emma added a third grandchild, Alfred Arthur Wood, to the family. Five months later, at 9:16AM on Sunday, January 19, 1947, in Los Angeles, Jay and Lola added the last grandchild to the family, a son whom they named Lewis Jay (Bud) Wood. However, May was extremely ill and lay in a coma at Scott and Emma’s home in Henderson, Nevada. About six hours after Bud’s birth, May roused from her coma. [She] told Art that Lola had had a son and that both she and the baby were fine so she wasn’t needed any more. She said, “I’ll see you.” closed her eyes and quietly slipped away. May was cremated and interred in the Great Mausoleum at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, California. She was 70 years old. This story was excerpted from "The Wood Family of Crawford Country", a privately published history of Will J Wood and May I McGregor, written by Beverly Joyce Wood Norton.

Sidney Jay Wood (1914-1990)

Contributor: Dieselbeetle Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Sidney Jay Wood was born in Crawford, Delta, Colorado on the 21st day of August 1914. He was the third son and fourth child of Will J Wood and Mae Isabelle McGregor Wood. His sister and oldest brother had both died before Sid was born. He grew up in the Crawford area as a typical youth in early 20th Century western Colorado. At a young age, he suffered Rhumatic Fever which left him weak for a considerable period of time. Shortly before his 13th birthday, Sid's father, Will, was killed in an automobile accident. His mother, Mae, was appointed postmaster in lieu of her husband and she also ran the local store. Sid's brother, Scott, assisted their mother in these responsibilities, and Sid assumed responsibility for care of the family home. Sid played saxophone in the Crawford High School band and graduated from Crawford High School at the age of 16 in 1931. Upon graduation, Sid moved to California, living with a family friend, C Arthur Cline and attended Woodbury Business College for one year. He completed the course work for a business degree, but because the fishing season was opening in Colorado, Sid returned home. Inasmuch as he failed to attend graduation ceremonies, the College withheld his degree, which was, in later years, a source of much regret. Sid met Lola M Garrett of Delta, Colorado in a restaurant in Crawford in 1934, as she was visiting some friends. They courted and were married one day before Lola's 18th birthday, on September 9, 1934 in Delta. The young couple moved to California, settling in the Los Angeles area, and were soon joined there by Sid's brother, Scott and by his mother, Mae, who ended up marrying Arthur Cline. Sid and Lola's first child, a daughter named Beverly, was born on May 28, 1937, and Sid supported his family by working as a commercial photographer - a trade that Art had taught him. At the outbreak of World War II in December, 1941, Sid had his own photo studio in Burbank, California and was the police crime photographer. He signed up for the draft, but was never called up. Curious as to why, he asked the Burbank Police Chief, who was chairman of the local Draft Board, as to why and was always told, "it will happen. Just be patient." Toward the end of the war, after the death of the police chief, he went to the Draft Board and found out the Chief had marked his draft registration card as "Deceased." Apparently, the Chief wanted to keep his crime photographer! As the war progressed, Sid went to work as a personnel officer at Lockheed Aircraft in addition to continuing his work at the photo studio. His office was on the 2nd floor in the aircraft assembly building overlooking two lines of P-38 fighters being built as fast as the company could turn them out. Following the war, Sid went to work for the State of California in the Department of Employment. On January 19, 1947, at 9:16AM, the last member of the family, a son named Lewis Jay (Bud) , was born. That afternoon, at 3:00PM Sid's mother, Mae, passed away at the home of Sid's brother, Scott, in Henderson, Nevada. The telegrams telling of the birth and the death passed en route to their destinations. Sid later remarked, "It was the happiest, saddest day of my life." Sid left his employment with the State and began working as the personnel manager for Luer Meat Packing Company. He remained there for approximately four years and was then laid off. He and Lola then moved their family (Bev was married by now) to Lodi, California where they purchased the Mode O' Day dress shop. Sid worked temporarily for Hires Root Beer Bottling Company and then returned to employment with the State, this time in the Employment Office in Stockton, California. In 1964, Bud graduated from high school and enrolled at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. The following February, he joined the LDS Church. Sid and Lola followed, being baptized on April 11, 1967 in Stockton, California. Shortly thereafter, Beverly and her husband, Jack Norton, were also baptized bringing the whole family into the Church. Following his mission to Mexico, Bud married Elaine Hansen and continued his education at BYU. Beverly and her family also moved to Utah. Deciding there was no real reason to remain in California, Sid and Lola moved to Utah in 1968 and Sid secured employment with the Utah State Department of Employment. He eventually retired from that position in 1980. Sid loved the game of golf and was pretty good at it. In his life, he had five holes-in-one, scoring two of them within two days. He played a round on a Saturday afternoon and aced the 17th hole, a par 3. Sunday morning he played again and was only about a foot away from the pin on his tee shot on the same hole. After lunch, he played a third round and once again scored a hole-in-one on the 17th hole! Needless to say, this feat made the newspapers! Following retirement, Sid worked as a course marshall and in the pro shops of several golf courses in the Utah Valley area. On September 13, 1990, he played a final round and then, the next morning drove himself to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center for some tests on his heart. During the tests, he had two heart attacks and was rushed into open-heart surgery that afternoon. He spent ten days in the hospital and finally succumbed from the effects of Sepsis on September 24, 1990 at the age of 76. Lola outlived her husband by nine years, dying on September 6, 1999. They are buried side-by-side in the Orem City Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah.

Lola M. Garrett (Wood), Autobiography

Contributor: Dieselbeetle Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Autobiography Lola Mildred Garrett (Wood) 1916 – 1999 Lola left this biography; a hand-written document on two 8 ½ x 11 inch pieces of paper. Spelling and punctuation are Lola’s. She did not date this story, but it appears to have been written at the same time as the second of her husband, Jay’s, autobiographies in 1973, because both mention they are the grandparents of Margaret Norton. Based on the content of the story, it was definitely written before October, 1974 when Bud’s fourth child was born. Her Story: I was born Lola Mildred Garrett, Sep 10 in the year 1916 in Sharron, Oklahoma to Katie Mae (Renfrow) and Lewis William Garrett. I have a sister Alberta Leona. She is four years older than I am and a sister Irene Louise. She is four years younger. We lived in Oklahoma till I was 5 years old then we moved to Delta Colorado, where dad owned a General store. Dad & Mom were considered well off in that small community, but they tought us we were no better than any one else & to be thankful for what we had. I was sick a lot of my life and had to take it easy, but the best part was going fishing with my dad & his friend & going to the tent shows with the family. I spent a lot of my time drawing, one picture was sent to the Pueblo state fair. In Oct. of 1933, I met Jay Wood from Crawford and we started dateing, on most of those date we went to basket balls games (where he kept score), base ball games, or shows, and takeing both our mothers on drives and picknicks on the mountains. On Sep 9 – 1934 we were married in my home and my Grandfather Garrett married us. We lived in Colo for a year then moved to Los Angles, California. In 1937 our daughter Beverly Joyce was born & in 1947 our son Lewis Jay (Buddy) was born. I am proud to say that neither child gave us any trouble, They are both married now. Joyce has 8 children & Bud has 3 and so we are the grandparents of 11-swell, sweet onry grandkids. Going back a few years, I was assistant girl scout leader for Joyce’s troop then I was Den Mother for Bud’s cub scout den, then when we joined the Church, again was the Den Grandmother for a den of boys in the church, and I would love to have another den someday as I love all Kid’s but boys are my favorite. Bud went to B.Y.U. & joined the Church in Feb, 1965 & when he came home on vacation we went to church with him, then kept going and got acquainted with the missionary’s boys, and ask two of them to live with us as we missed Bud so much. Bud went on a Mexico mission & while he was there we joined the church on April 11, 1967. Then Joyce’s family joined in June of that year. Bud left in 1965 – the only member of the church & befor he came home there were 7. I was given the position of “Bee Hive” Leader then Jay & I were called to serve as stake missionaries for two years. I was ill a lot and felt like I didn’t do a good job, “God willing” the two of us will get to go on another one. We were married in the tempel – 1968. We moved to Utah in 1971 where we live about a mile from each of our kids, we are living in a mobil home, have a 15 ft. boat & are getting a 18 ft. trailer, so plan on going fishing a lot, writing poems, and having lots of fun with our two children and 11 ? [The question mark is there. I don’t know why!] grandchildren & thanking God for my many blessings. Lola M Wood, Grandmother of Margaret Norton

Life timeline of Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood)

Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was born on 28 May 1937
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was 8 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was 16 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was 32 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was 42 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was 52 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) was 54 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) died on 6 Jun 2006 at the age of 69
Grave record for Beverly Joyce Norton (Wood) (28 May 1937 - 6 Jun 2006), BillionGraves Record 5785 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States