Avis B Stubbs

5 Jul 1916 - 23 Apr 2002


Avis B Stubbs

5 Jul 1916 - 23 Apr 2002
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

ROSS ASHDOWN STUBBS Ross Ashdown Stubbs was born on May 16, 1912 in Parowan Utah to Edgar Marion Stubbs and Emily Fannie Ashdown Stubbs. He is the oldest of four. He remembered living in the same town as his grandparents and talked about going to see them. He also said he was a very picky eater and
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Avis B Stubbs
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Avis B Stubbs


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States

Headstone Description

Married July 3, 1946


September 22, 2013


July 29, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Avis B...

We found more records about Avis B Stubbs.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Avis B


Avis B Stubbs is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ross Ashdown Stubbs

Contributor: greatgranny Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

ROSS ASHDOWN STUBBS Ross Ashdown Stubbs was born on May 16, 1912 in Parowan Utah to Edgar Marion Stubbs and Emily Fannie Ashdown Stubbs. He is the oldest of four. He remembered living in the same town as his grandparents and talked about going to see them. He also said he was a very picky eater and didn’t get over that until he went into the service. His dad was a part owner in the Parowan Mercantile. They were also involved in the sheep industry. My dad was not much of a people person and he spent much of his youth tending sheep in the Cedar Breaks area. I remember him taking us up to the area where the ski resort is now and telling how his family had owned most of that area. He loved it when he would watch the western movies that were filmed in the areas he used to herd sheep in. Dad dropped out of high school when he was in eighth grade I believe. He got upset with a teacher and decided he would “show” him. Dad regretted that decision. Once he was out of school he spent many months away from home herding sheep. He also talked about being a prankster at dances and stuff. He never really mentioned much other than alcohol was usually involved. His mother was not happy about that. As we grew up he really never talked about that part of his youth. He wasn’t particularly proud of his youthful actions. He loved his nieces and nephews very much. He was about 34 before he married for the first and only time to my mother. When World War II broke out my dad was living in Wyoming and working up in the Pryor Mountains with a rancher by the last name of Snyder when he heard that Pearl Harbor had been bombed. He went right to town and enlisted in the Marine Corps. He said he liked the uniform. He was really upset when he found out that you had to buy the Dress Blue Leatherneck Uniform. Ross went to basic training in Camp Lejune South Carolina. He was not impressed with the people there. He thought it was ridiculous that the black people had to sit in the back of the bus. He said you’d get all dressed up to go on liberty and the people had to climb over you to get to the back. He said you were pretty rumpled by the time you got to town. Back then they would bring their live chickens on the bus to sell in town. I can’t even imagine what that was like. From basic training I think he was in San Diego for a short time until he shipped out to over seas. He didn’t like the ship he was sent over on. It was a converted luxury liner and he said there were a lot of boys that were seasick and the only thing they had to eat was “split pea soup and hard tack”. To his dying day he would not eat split pea soup. He said hard tack was some kind of bread but it was full of weevils. Dad was stationed in the Marshall Islands, Okinawa and Hawaii plus some other small islands. He said the conditions were harsh and there was very little fresh water to bath in. When it rained they would soap up and then rinse off sometimes in the ocean. He was a gunnery sergeant. He talks about the days with the true Hawaiians and their luaus with real wild pigs. He would tell stories about trying to catch them. I am sure there was alcohol involved there. He was never in the main battles. He was always with the group that came later. He said he never picked up any souvenirs left behind. He had seen buddies loose their lives over things that were left and were booby-trapped. He never had a desire to go back to any of the islands or places he served. It was in the past and that’s were it stayed. He said it wouldn’t be the same. He felt it became too commercialized. We have pictures from his time in the islands and he never really even discussed them. He did tell us about the pictures after the typhoons and some of his buddies. His one big regret was that he learned to smoke in the military. He always threatened us with a beating if we ever picked up the habit. It was a terrible thing to quit and I remember very well when he did. Rita and I were ready to mutiny until Mom told us what he was attempting to do and then we were more supportive. One of the things my dad was really upset about at the end of the war was the waste he saw. He loved his rifle and knew he had to turn it in on the ship back. He said he cleaned it until it shone and then when they were half way home they just started dumping the equipment overboard, including his very clean gun. Of course, we know that it was to help the economy. At this point Mary Helen has told the story of Dad meeting my mother and the romance there. I have always been impressed with the conditions my mother lived under. A lesser woman would have thrown in the towel. My parents were older when I was born and I think tired of life. My siblings remember stories and things like that. I remember my parents as being tired and depressed by the circumstances they faced. My dad tried farming and hung in there until the very last. We lost the farm in 1959. And that was the second time we had lost our home. The first time was to a fire. It is one of my first memories. We were at church and came home to a house on fire. I had nightmares for years. My parents kept on. We lived in places that should have been condemned. There were holes in the floors and no heat. I remember my mom heating bricks in the gas oven, wrapping them in papers and towels and putting them in our beds to keep us warm. We had so many blankets piled on us we couldn’t move. I love warm bedrooms now. I don’t like to sleep in the cold. One time we woke up to a frozen glass of water beside the bed. Water was also very short in supply. The water in Lovell was very alkaline and there were no wells like there is now. We had a cement cistern and we would borrow a truck with a tank on it to bring the water from town to home. This was after we built our new home that replaced the burned one. Prior to tour new home we didn’t have flushing toilets or electricity. My job was to clean out the kerosene lamps chimneys. I remember being very disturbed about a toilet on the inside of a home. I don’t know why it upset me so because when we went to church we had flushing toilets. When my parents loss the farm, Dad worked as best he could but there weren’t many jobs around. The area was very depressed. My dad loved the mountains and working with animals. We always had farm animals. I remember the chicken coop that had mean old hens in it. Not long before we lost the farm my dad was in Cowley on a “fine” Wyoming January day. I don’t know if my dad had participated in the rounding up of the wild mustangs or if he was just there. The ranchers hated the mustangs because they ate up the grazing lands and were very destructive to the land. So, they would round them up and ship them off on the train to be killed for dog food and such. One of the mares had foaled while they were waiting to be shipped. The cowboys were just going to kill it. But, Dad thought it was a good looking horse and asked if he could have it. Well the cowboys thought it wouldn’t make it and said go ahead I guess they didn’t want to waste a bullet. So, my dad brought home a surprise for us. He was concerned it would freeze to death so he put it in the basement of our new home. Part of the basement floor was never finished. It was dirt. So, Dad figured it wouldn’t harm anything. He named the horse Skipper. The colt was fed from a milk bucket that had a ****** on it. The horse thrived. But, the basement smelled of horse. One day after being gone we came home to the whole house smelling foul. The cold air return for the furnace was located in the basement and it brought the smell in through the warm furnace. Skipper was sent to the chicken coop. He was cold but survived. That horse became a great pet. Dad always believed that tobacco was good for an animal’s coat and also killed worms. So, the butts of his Bull-Durham hand rolled cigarettes and the Camels he smoked were fed to the dogs and Skipper. Skipper really developed a taste for tobacco. It got so he could smell the tobacco in Dads pocket and would pull the string on the tobacco bag out of Dad’s pocket. He even tried to steel the lit cigarettes out of dad’s mouth. It was so funny. When we left the farm Dad found a place for Skipper out on the winter range with the sheep that were Mr. CA Lewis’s. Skipper would love to tease Dad when he went to check on the herds. He would run full bore up to the pickup and then get in front of it and just lope along. He would also stick his head in the cab looking for cigarettes. One day a group of “hunters” were out there and Skipper came running up to the truck thinking it was Daddy. They thought the horse was crazy so they shot him. Dad never got over that. He really hurt that someone could be so thoughtless and he never even got compensated for Skipper. That along with other things that were going on Dad lost his heart for Wyoming. My fondest memories are of being on the Big Horn Mountains with Dad in the summer time. We would fish, ride horses, play princesses and stuff on the big rocks and go with Dad to tend the sheepherders. Most of them were lonely men. One was named One Armed Red. He lost his arm in the war. Another one was Pete. He could be ornery. There was Vic, who sent us to California in his pickup to deliver to his sister in Turlock. We used his pick up to move lock, stock and barrel to California in 1963. Many days were spent with Dad riding in his truck over bumpy roads delivering food and mail to these men. My mom was the only living child of her family and her parents lived in southern California. As things didn’t improve in Wyoming my parents saw the writing on the wall and decided we needed to move. My grandmother was a widow and wanted Mom closer. That was the beginning of many changes for our family. The first job Dad had in California was shoeing horses. He hated to see beautiful animals living in tiny corrals. They were status symbols. Dad believed animals needed a job just like a man needs a job to feel good about ones self. Through the horse shoeing Dad met a man named Tate who was the supervisor of a plant. He talked to Dad and was impressed with him and his work ethics and hired Dad. Dad worked his way from cleaning the burrs off metal parts and washing them to being a machinist. He worked hard. He liked his job except for the union. He felt they were living off the men who worked hard. He felt striking for a nickel and hour wasn’t worth the money you lost by not working while the union was on strike. It was while he was working there that the greatest changes in his life occurred. Rita was always the spiritual one. She always went to church in Lovell. She loved the Lord. That didn’t change when we moved to Rosemead. She insisted on going to church and even though my dad and mom didn’t go they always made it available to us. When I was baptized in Wyoming I asked my dad to baptize me. He told me no, he wasn’t worthy and he also said if he ever stepped inside a church the roof would cave in. I didn’t appreciate it then. I threw a fit because I wanted him to baptize me. But, later I knew he did the right thing and I was glad he did. He taught me an important lesson. One Sunday Dad and I went to pick up Rita from the ward house in Rosemead. We sat in the car and waited. I remember as if it were yesterday. Dad was smoking one of his Camel cigarettes when Rita comes out of the ward with a member of the Bishopric. He wanted to meet the father of such a lovely young lady. He invited Dad to come to church with his daughter. Dad said I smoke. The good brother said it’s okay. Well, it wasn’t long before Dad went to church. He felt that it was a good man that would still care about him even though he was smoking. He got very active in church after that and that’s when Rita and I noticed we were living with a grouch. Mom told us he was trying to quit smoking so he could take us to the temple and be sealed. There were times when he was so bad to live with I was ready to buy him some cigarettes. It was worth it in the long run. I believe it was a great point in our lives. I remember when he got his patriarchal blessing. He was so humbled because he was told his sins had been forgiven. That brought him much peace. The last few days of his life was filled with many spiritual experiences. He taught us lessons even then. When he was in a tremendous amount of pain he wanted to pray. We felt like he should just lie in his bed and pray. No, he wouldn’t have any part of that. He got down on his knees and prayed the sweetest of prayers. My dad was a good man and the Lord took him home the next day. Added by Maryhelen: I first met daddy in California at the age of two. He came home on leave, from the Marine Corp, to see Uncle Keith and Aunt Esther. They were living in a motel that Grandpa and Grandma Hasting ran. My mom, Avis, was in the middle of a divorce and when Ross came to see Uncle Keith, the story goes, she looked at him and thought, "This could be my last chance"; he looked at her and thought, "This could be my first chance." Anyway they went out while he was there and when he left they wrote to each other. Daddy got discharged and moved back to Wyoming. They kept up their correspondence and he said in one of his letters, “If you are ever in Wyoming, look me up.” He said the next thing he knew she was there, lock, stock and barrel, with Grandma and Grandpa Hasting, Jim and Maryhelen. Well, it was about the 1st of July when they got there. Mom’s divorce was final the beginning of June. So on July 3rd it rained and Daddy couldn’t put hay up so he said, “Lets go to Billings and get married.” What I remember is Momma, Grandma and Grandpa Hastings getting into the car with Grandma and Grandpa Stubbs and them driving off and leaving Jim and me there at Grandma Stubbs’ house. I was carrying on something fierce, bawling and screaming at her to come back, and Jim, all he did was throw rocks at the chicken coop. Finally this lady said, “That’s enough.” Well, I shut up right off because I thought she was going to take care of me forever. Turned out to be my new Aunt Ruth who used to love me and fix my hair and play with me like I was a doll. She had 4 boys by that time and she wanted a little girl, so mom would let me go with her for long periods of time (hours). Boy, was I mad when Marsha came along and Aunt Ruth didn’t want to play anymore!!! The next thing I remember about Wyoming is moving into a house in Deaver. At night I would help with the chores and Daddy would sing to me: “Your hair is red, your eyes are blue. I’d swap my horse and a dog for you. Sioux City Sue, Sioux City Sue.” Daddy had a wonderful voice when he sang. I saw my first coyote there one night when he was singing. That thing howled back at us. I asked what’s that and he said it was a coyote. There it is and pointed towards a full moon rising and there was a silhouette of a coyote against it. The night before was the last night I ever took my brother Jim to the outhouse. After that I was too scared to go alone. Before that, I was the brave one. As you all know daddy was a very hard worker. When we lived on the farm down by Sage Creek and the Shoshone River life was too tough for much fun. I remember that Ford used to come out and help dad a lot and I can remember Dee and Wendall crossing the river to come and help. Daddy worked fulltime for Rodney Crosby and fulltime for us. It was nothing for him to be out plowing or planting at 2 am. He was a good horticulturist when he had good land. In California he had a great garden in which he grew Ross'sberries that were great and kumquats mmmm good. He had quite the sense of humor too. One time we had bran and molasses delivered for the cows (my favorite treat). He got some molasses accidentally dumped on his head so he comes up to the house with this stuff dripping off of him and tells mom the cow kicked him and he was moaning and groaning and carrying on and mom freaks out. She had already been through the mill with me getting my head kicked in by a horse. She finally figures out that it was a big joke so she was pretty mad. Her name Avis means, "little bird" and that’s what she reminded me of when she got mad. She sort of bounces and squawks if you know what I mean. A few weeks later daddy REALLY got kicked by the cow, in the groin, and he was in a whole lot of pain. Mom just looks at him and goes back to what she is doing. She then decides by he really is in trouble. The poor guy couldn't walk for several days. I remember a couple times that he stopped what he was doing and sat down out in the field with us one night and watched the Northern lights and him and mom explained them to us. We had been hoeing rows of beets until it was too dark so we were glad for the break, and the beautiful lights. Another time he took me over by a creek and showed me a momma bobcat and her two babies. He would never kill wild life unless it was a direct threat to our livestock.

couple memories

Contributor: greatgranny Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Born at 7 months, miracle baby! Handkerchiefs were used as diapers and she was placed on an oven door to be kept warm (like an incubator). Her brother Dale died as a teen. Her other two siblings died in infancy. She loved to read, especially the dictionary, resulting in a very big vocabulary, she was very intelligent and knew a lot a bout a lot of things. (all dictated by Rita Stubbs Galbraith, daughter)

Life timeline of Avis B Stubbs

Avis B Stubbs was born on 5 Jul 1916
Avis B Stubbs was 13 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Avis B Stubbs was 23 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Avis B Stubbs was 24 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Avis B Stubbs was 37 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Avis B Stubbs was 49 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Avis B Stubbs was 56 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Avis B Stubbs was 73 years old when The tanker Exxon Valdez spilled 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; 41,000 m3) of oil into Prince William Sound, Alaska, causing one of the most devastating man-made maritime environmental disasters. A tanker is a ship designed to transport or store liquids or gases in bulk. Major types of tankship include the oil tanker, the chemical tanker, and gas carrier. Tankers also carry commodities such as vegetable oils, molasses and wine. In the United States Navy and Military Sealift Command, a tanker used to refuel other ships is called an oiler but many other navies use the terms tanker and replenishment tanker.
Avis B Stubbs was 83 years old when Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado. The Columbine High School massacre was a school shooting that occurred on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School in Columbine, an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado, United States, in the Denver metropolitan area. In addition to the shootings, the complex and highly planned attack involved a fire bomb to divert firefighters, propane tanks converted to bombs placed in the cafeteria, 99 explosive devices, and car bombs. The perpetrators, senior students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher. They injured 21 additional people, and three more were injured while attempting to escape the school. The pair subsequently committed suicide.
Avis B Stubbs died on 23 Apr 2002 at the age of 85
Grave record for Avis B Stubbs (5 Jul 1916 - 23 Apr 2002), BillionGraves Record 5238611 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States