Andrew Johnson

2 Aug 1870 - 24 Sep 1961

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Andrew Johnson

2 Aug 1870 - 24 Sep 1961
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

ANDREW JOHNSON (1870-1961) By Elma Johnson Casper PROLOGUE As Andrew was the eldest son, his mother depended on him to keep the family together and keep the farm work and business running smoothly—she herself being an expert manager. He was a fun loving person. He loved and played baseball and pla

Life Information

Andrew Johnson


Annis Little Butte Cemetery

3810 East Menan Lorenzo Highway
Rigby, Jefferson, Idaho
United States


October 12, 2011


October 11, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Andrew


Andrew Johnson is buried in the Annis Little Butte Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Andrew Johnson, 2 August 1870 - 24 September 1961

Contributor: Chynna67 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

ANDREW JOHNSON (1870-1961) By Elma Johnson Casper PROLOGUE As Andrew was the eldest son, his mother depended on him to keep the family together and keep the farm work and business running smoothly—she herself being an expert manager. He was a fun loving person. He loved and played baseball and played on a team in Burton. In the winter, he would hitch up the sleigh and gather the young people, including his sisters, and take them to the dances in various communities. He was always willing to see that his sisters and friends got to attend the dances, picnics, or any activities. He was their defender for virtue or morals. He would fight to the last breath. He was good at wrestling and few could throw him, no matter what their size. He wasn't one to pick a fight, but wouldn't back down when it was for the right reason. He was a man interested in politics, being informed of the man or the issue in local, state and national elections. He prided himself in knowing what was going on. He always took the newspaper and studied any article or manuscript. He loved to discuss and argue the issues. He was concerned about his neighbors - always the first to lend a hand. It never mattered who they were, he would take anything that was needed and give it to them, even if he had to buy it. In 1916 he bought the best Encyclopedia Britannica he could buy and the largest most complete dictionary that went with it. He studied it continuously and any other publications he could get his hands on. My father was a great family man. He and mother played with us children as well as worked with us. We spent many happy times together. He talked and explained what was wrong rather than spanking. I remember how I had terrible leg aches and also had a great fear of losing my parents. I would cry with pain and fear in the night. Many times my father came to my bed, gently taking me in his arms to my parent's bed where they would rub my legs and comfort me until I was relaxed and free from pain and fear -- no reproaches or spankings. He was generous and kind to a fault -- no one was ever turned from our door. Together, my parents taught us to be kind and loving to one another and to friends and neighbors. He would often say that he stood by and believed the Thirteenth Article of Faith and encouraged us to do the same. "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul – We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." May we as his children, honor these principals as he taught us. HISTORY OF ANDREW JOHNSON (Up to age 15 is written by himself at age 90) My father, Anders Johasson, was born on the 18th of October in 1819 in Darlsland (Ehr Alvsborn) Sweden, and his father ( Jonas Larson) died with small pox when Anders was about 12 years old (March 6, 1839). His mother, Kirstene Anderson, put him in cabinet school as an apprentice that took him seven years to get his diploma. When he finished he did not like the cabinet trade and he signed on as an apprentice for the carpenter trade. He worked for some time as a carpenter, but I don't know how long. The L.D.S. Church opened up a mission in Sweden and on Labor Day of 1860 my father heard the Gospel and became a convert and was baptized on August 18, 1860. Soon after he became a missionary. In 1865 he was released and called in. He decided to come to Zion in Salt Lake City. He landed in Salt Lake City in the latter part of the summer of 1865. He got a job at one of the mining companies and worked there until the fall of 1866. He laid off to go into Salt Lake to meet the Ox train and meet my mother (Anna Marie Carlgren). They got married the 16th of October, and moved to Ogden where her father and mother were buried. She had three cousins living there. Her mother and father had come over in 1864, leaving Anna Marie behind to accommodate her cousins. Her mother (Lena Danielson) had died of a fever in the fall of 1865, and her father (Lars Anderson Carlgren) drowned in the spring of 1866 in the Ogden or Weber River. My mother landed there in Salt Lake in the fall not knowing that either one of her parents were dead until she landed in Salt Lake. Shortly after Father and Mother married he quit his job in Brigham City and they moved to Ogden. After they got settled, Father went to work for the Faur Furniture Company and stayed there until the fall of 1868. A daughter, Helena Christina was born at Ogden, 12 of August 1967. They then moved to Brigham City in the fall of 1868. He put up a furniture shop of his own and went to making furniture. When the railroad landed in 1869, he did not have the timber to compete with the furniture they shipped in so he closed shop. He got a job with the railroad making cross head bars and pine for the railroad poles and I was born the next year, August 2, 1870. Father stayed there until the spring of 1872. They moved to Weston, Idaho. He bought a lot there and tried to make a living at the carpenter trade. That was not too good out on the frontier. They were 50 miles north of the Union Pacific Railroad where practically all the freight was loaded and transferred by oxen and a few horses. I saw as many as ten ox teams on three wagons and one driver and one brakeman. In the spring of 1876 he decided to move to Malad City for it was the county seat of Oneida County and at that time it took in all of south eastern Idaho from the Utah border to the Montana line, and it all laid along the freight road from Corine, Utah to Butte, Montana. We moved to Malad City and he bought an 80 acre farm three miles west of Malad City. We settled there and went to farming. We had a team, three cows and fifteen sheep with their lambs. Father had $600.00 to pay for relinquishment on the place. The $600.00 was borrowed previously. The first two years he cut his hay with a scythe and his grain with a cradle. In 1878 he and a neighbor by the name of Henry Jones, bought a machine with two cutter bars. One to mow hay and one to cut grain. The machine was called a "dropper". It had slats on the back of the cutter bar and when you got enough grain on the slats for a bundle you tripped it and it dropped the bundle on the ground. You then took some straw and tied the bundle so it could be shocked. That was in the fall of 1878 and we had no more than finished the harvest, when Father took sick in the middle of October. We had just got a doctor in the town that spring. Father had been doing a lot of work for him. The name of the doctor was Dr. Drake. He was from the state of New York. When Father got sick we would call him once or twice a week, but in the latter part of November he was coming at least three times a week, and by the middle of December there was no time I didn't get him as much as three times in one night. I never left the horses back only long enough to run into the house and ask, "What next?" During this time since I was born they had Lorenzo born October 6, 1873 at Weston, and Joseph born June 5, 1876 at St. John, Oneida county. In December my sister Ellen took down with the Typhoid fever and by Christmas it had turned into pneumonia and from then on to the middle of March I was on the horse's back continually, only off long enough to eat and find out what I needed to do next. It was either the Elders, the Bishop or the doctor. When I was seven, in the year 1877, my parents started me to school. We only went to school three months out of the year. My teacher's name was Mr. Wissely. He was a good music teacher, but that was about it. He didn't teach the other subjects such as History, Math, or Science, but I did learn to read and write. I didn't get much schooling that school term because of sickness. Mother was pregnant and was expecting the baby in the fore part of March. A new baby girl was born the 8th of March 1979. They named her Mary Ann. By this time my sister Ellen had improved so she could sit up part of the day, and Father was feeling better. The pupil in his left eye had blown out so it hindered his reading. Here are the chores I had to do. We had 30 head of sheep, 12 head of cattle (that included cows and calves coming yearlings), three head of horses, and three cows to milk. The cattle had to be taken to water once a day and the sheep ate snow. I don't want you to think that Mother was not there to help as much as she could, and she saw that things were taken care of. There was always some of the neighbors there at night to help with the chores and place. To help feed so it would not be so hard for us in the morning. I was now nine years old. I started to school again, this time I had a Welch teacher by name of Henry Jones. I was small for my age and most of the boys were large for their age and related, so they banded together. We all walked to school. Once, five big boys chased me and my brother Ren, home from school. We decided to gain by cutting across the field. We passed through the fence and the poles of the fence stuck out into the gateway. I broke off a good size length and decided to stand my ground and not run any more. I gave my books to Ren and told him to go on home. As the boys came through the fence they each broke off an end of a pole too. They came at me with their poles, which I knocked out of their hands with my pole. Then I went after them with my pole hitting any place I could, and I guess I got in some good whacks, as they took off and left me to go home. The next day the boys told the teacher that I had hit them with a pole. The teacher had the boy take off his shirt and show the marks. The teacher kept some fine willows handy for use when punishment was needed. I wasn't allowed to give my version of what had happened, and the teacher picked out the willow he thought would do the job best and gave me a good old fashioned whipping. For the next week I wasn't allowed any recess, noon hour or any privileges. When I was allowed recess the big boys would torment me or cause trouble. So more whipping's and no recesses or lunch time followed frequently. I didn't tell my parents as my mother was very strict and if I got punished at school and she knew it I got some more of the same at home. Not that she was unjust, but figured you should behave yourself and if you got into trouble you must be at fault. Now this is going to sound very unreasonable for most, the teams were oxen and many of the people never owned a horse. So they could make better time going afoot than to hook up a team of oxen and go around by the road, so this is what they did most of the time. It was starting to warm up and we had to get ready for spring planting. It was the fore part of April. One of our neighbor boys came and offered to help us put the crop in. Mother hired him and he said he would wait until fall for his pay. A neighbor by the name of Williams offered us a pair of oxen if she thought I could drive them. He said he had broken them a year ago that spring. We hitched up the team and drove down there and he put the yoke on the oxen and a halter and rope on the left one. That is not the way he said it, he said the 'nye' one. The reason he said nye was because you always walked on the left of your teams to drive them. It was just the same if you were driving a string of mules or horse with a 'jerkline'. You rode the nye horse or mule next to the wagon. You had just one line that ran up the left side of your horses and fastened into the bridle bit of your left leader. That line was called a 'jerkline'. The line was used to draw the attention of your lead animal so he would do what you told him when you talked to him. You jerked the line first, then told him what to do. Next morning after we had brought the oxen home, I had Mother help me put the yoke on the oxen and I hitched them to the harrow and I went to work. When I got caught up with the harrowing, a neighbor who joined us on the west loaned us a plow when he could spare it. One of his boys came and handled the plow and drove the oxen and then I would use the oxen again to harrow. That is the way we got our crop in. Mother and I did the irrigating. The neighbor boy helped us with the hay. We had no derrick at that time. The hay had to be pitched on the wagon and loaded. So Mother and I did the loading and stacking. The hay was pitched up to us by pitchfork by the neighbor boy. Ellen took care of Ren and Joseph and did the cooking. They were building a Presbyterian church and a courthouse and wanted Father to work for them. He was a very good finisher. He took over the finishing so now he had a job for the rest of the summer and fall, until it got too cold. The pay for a common carpenter was $2.50 a day. They paid Father $3.50 a day. When harvesting started it was my job to run the 'dropper'. Mother took her place along with the men binding the grain. That made bundles just the same as the binder did later. Mother and the men used a part of the straw and made a band of it and tied the loose grain into a bundle. The grain was then set up in shocks until it was dry. It was then hauled in and stacked. Then it was threshed. All neighbors worked together, with no charges made. Mother set up all our grain in shocks and stacked the grain, placing the bundles on the wagon with what little help I could give her. She did all this with my help throwing bundles to her that she could not reach. She was busy the year around. She had a spinning wheel to spin the yarn. She also had a loom to weave the cloth. She made everything we wore. She also made suits and overcoats for men. She cut out clothes for little children and basted them together so the mothers could sew them. Sometimes she had to sew them too. There is much left out in using wool toppin. First the wool had to washed, then carded, then spun into yarn. It was then ready to use to be knitted into stockings or sweaters or woven into cloth. This was all hand work until I was ten years old, when Father took a load of grain down to Corrin, Utah. Father had some business to take care of at Brigham City, then we drove to Ogden and Father bought a Singer sewing machine and brought it home to Mother. He thought it would make it easier for her, but she just got that much more to do. She was also a midwife and she took me with her to run errands in case something went wrong or she needed some help. No charge was made for these services. Now for some of the church work. When we landed at St. John in the spring of 1876, there was no ward. The people got busy and organized a ward and Father was put in First Counselor to the Bishop. After they got the ward organized, it was hard to get anyone interested to work in the church. All the younger ones left in the spring to find work and did not return until fall. So along with Father being First Counselor to the Bishop, he became Sunday School Superintendent and Young Men's Mutual Superintendent. He held those offices until we left there in 1885. When I was fourteen I quit school again. I drove a team from home to Snowville for a man whose teamster was sick with Typhoid. The next spring I drove my first jerkline from his home to Ketchem, Idaho. Mary Ann was born March 8, 1879. Another baby, a girl, was born January 26, 1882. They named her Selma Amelia, but she was know as Millie all her days. Father sold our place (farm) and said he was going some place where there was plenty of water. After we sold we had until the first of June to move. Father had looked the country over from St. John north past Rexburg. Father finally decided to settle at Willford, Idaho. They had the town site laid out and there was about eight families in the town site. We left there and went home to the family and moved up there in the wilderness. By the time we got back to St. John and ready to leave it was the fifth of June, and we started Ren and Joe out with the cattle. They were about two miles ahead on the road when we started with the two wagons loaded with our machinery, household furniture, supplies, Mother and the girls. We had a small ditch to cross just below the corral. I was on the lead wagon and Father was following with his load. When I crossed the ditch I stopped just giving him room enough to cross the ditch. When the front wheels of his wagon dropped into the ditch it stopped with a chug and Father came over and dropped in front of the single tree and hit the horse as he fell. The team made a jump and were gone for a runaway, but about the third jump they hit my wagon. I had my brake set and was holding my team steady so Father's team couldn't go anywhere. He set thus until the horses had quieted down. By this time Mother had gotten out and on the ground by Father and was working with him to see how bad he was hurt. The two wheels had just missed his head and had run the full length of his back and had dropped off between his legs. All Mother could do was wash him off with some warm salt water to keep blood poisoning from setting in. Mother claimed the sudden jar threw father over on the horse's hips and when he hit, the horse jumped and kicked. Father must of had a hold of the hip strap and when the horses jumped and kicked, Father must of lost his hold and slid down between the horses and the single tree. After the wheel ran down his back he was lying on his stomach face down with his head towards the wagon. After Mother had dressed his wounds, they had a short talk and decided to go on. She made Father as comfortable as possible and then took the lines. She was a good hand with horses, her father had been a coachman for one of the lords in Sweden until they immigrated. Her father had taught her how to handle horses. It now was between ten and eleven o'clock in the morning before we got started and was about three in the afternoon when we caught up with the boys and the cattle. Mother had made some sandwiches so we all had lunch together. She told the boys to take it easy, that we had plenty of time. We drove just over the divide and camped. The next day, June 6, we got within 14 miles of Armstead. Then June 7, we made it to Inkom. The next day, June 8, we made it to east of Pocatello. Then June 9 to Fort Hall. The next day, June 10, to Blackfoot, and the next day, June 11 to Firth, and the next day, June 12, we crossed the bridge at Idaho Falls. Then on June 13, on to Roberts. We camped west of the bridge on the north fork west of Rexburg on June 14. The next day, June 15, we made it to Willford. Now we were at our new home. THE REMAINING PORTION WAS WRITTEN BY HIS DAUGHTER, ELMA CASPER. In 1886, Andrew was 16 and they moved to Burton, Idaho, two miles west of Rexburg. He stayed on the farm and worked that fall, but then got a job on the railroad on a construction gang raising railroad grade. The farm they bought in Burton was 160 acres and 30 acres were broken up to farm. During the winter of 1886-1887, he worked for the H.S. Outfit Cattle Company. One day he came into the corral after having been out checking the cattle, and one of the men dared him to ride a certain calf that he had picked out. He was going to show them he could. He got on the calf and rode him, but when he jumped off he got caught in the strap and landed on his head. The men all had a good laugh and then said he didn't ride him. Well, Andrew got on the calf again and rode him until they said it was a ride. They opened the corral gate to where the calf's mother was and the old cow took in after him, but he stayed on. He said it was the worst critter he ever rode. In the spring and summer of 1887 Andrew stayed home and helped get the crop in. He also broke up some more ground for farming. In 1888 he worked for Mark Patree for the John Henry Canal and the Great Western Canal, making canals for irrigation. The fall of 1888 and 1889 worked for Charley Burt in construction. Charley went broke so Andrew didn't get paid until the next fall. In June of 1889 he went to work freighting in Yellowstone Park with Hans Jensen, who was married to Henry Flamm's sister. In 1890-1891 he drove a stage for tourists in Yellowstone National Park. One time he was driving an English party through the park and there happened to be an English Count on the stage. They stopped at the bridge on head of Yellowstone Lake and the guide was telling the party about the different points of interest and happened to address the English Count as "Mister". The English Count turned to the guide and said "Sir, I'll have you know I am an English Count. The guide turned and said, "I don't care how many you count in England, you only count one here." In 1892 Andrew trailed horses and cattle from Teton Basin to Canada for Frank Hubbard. In 1893 he went into the sheep business with John Neely, his brother-in-law, and his brother Ren, but they went broke. In 1894 the Burton ward had built a new church house; Andrew's father doing a lot of the work. One Sunday the Bishop got up and praised the people for their good work. Then he said, "You see the pulpit is not painted, but I prophecy it will be done by next Sunday." Now Ren and Joseph and Elick McCollough, being boys and full of mischief, heard this and noticed by Friday that the painting hadn't been done. They decided to give a helping hand. They found in Andrew's father's workshop some black paint, which he used to paint buggies with, and some paint brushes. They took it to the church and proceeded to paint the pulpit. Then they decided to paint the bishoprick's chairs. They thought that looked pretty good, but needed something more, so behind the Bishop's chair they painted a big "B". Then, as they went out the front door, they painted it too. Well, needless to say the boys were in trouble and Andrew's father was sick because his two sons were involved. The boys heard rumors of severe punishment to be dealt them through the ward authorities. They panicked and ran away from home. Joseph was gone one year and Ren was gone for two years. Their father felt very bad and being a godly man he tried to make amends. He went over and cleaned and sanded all of the paint off and finished it properly. How hard he must have worked. In the fall Andrew quit the stage line and went to work herding sheep for Oab Stout. The next job was with Bot McCorman, cutting lambs and trailing them to Idaho Falls. That job ran out so he went to Chub Springs looking for another. Chub Springs was about thirty miles northwest of Soda Springs. When he reached Chub Springs, someone stole his horse. The sheepmen told him if he wanted to get a job he had better get on the trail where the sheep herds traveled. In 1893, after he crossed the Blackfoot river, he met George Osborn, who was later to become his brother-in-law. George was the camp mover for Chump and Danzie. Andrew moved on down to the northwest end of Malad Valley where he got a job herding sheep. The sheepherder had already left the herd. Andrew was two days gathering sheep and two more days before the camp mover (Chroney) got there. After Chroney came he met his boss. The 4,800 sheep belonged to Dave McKay. The boss told them to start the sheep on the trail and if they had to have anything before they left to make out a bill, take it to Malad City where they could have it filled. The camp, Andrew and the camp mover were so full of lice they were about to go nuts. So the first thing they decided to get was something to get rid of the lice. Andrew sent for a pound of camphor and a pound of cedar. While Chroney went to town for the supplies, Andrew was getting ready to start the sheep moving west. In 1894 Andrew met Anne Marie Nielsen at Lanes Creak, a dairy near Grays Lake. In the fall he came home to Burton and asked her to write to him. He went to work for Rawson and Filbrick in American Falls breaking horses. While doing so he was thrown from a horse, hitting his head on some hard object. It caused him to have amnesia. He was in this state for about one month, not knowing his name or where he was. It was several weeks before he regained his memory. In 1895 he worked for Judge Stanford as a foreman, then he went back to Lanes Creek. In 1896 he worked for Webster, trailing and lambing sheep. After quitting Webster, he worked for Jim Clinton for one year. Jim sold his sheep to Jones and Daniels so Andrew went right along and worked for them. In 1901 he worked for John T. Smaley on Connard Creek. That fall he met George Osborn again. Andrew had been out looking over his sheep and when he came back, he noticed smoke coming out of the stove pipe. He didn't quite know what to make of it, but he went down to camp to find out the reason. As he neared the camp "Ole" George, as Andrew called him, stuck his head out of the camp wagon. They grabbed each other and were soon in good conversation, wanting to catch up on all that had happened since they had last seen one another. Andrew found out that George Osborn had married Hannah Nielsen and had two children. In 1902, Andrew found out that Anne Marie Nielsen, Hannah's sister, was up at the Osborns to help when the new baby came. He had received a letter from her, so he decided to go see her. When Christmas came he went up and spent Christmas with them. For the next four years they wrote to each other and occasionally saw one another. In 1904 he went to Mink Creek and they became engaged. Their courtship was mostly through letters. In 1903 Andrew started his own cattle business and in 1904 he quit Webster to continue on his own and help his father with the farm more. On July 5, 1906, Grandmother Nielsen rode with Andrew and Anne Marie over to Paris, Idaho, in Bear Lake County seat, where they were married. Andrew took his new bride home to his parents. They lived with them and it was here, on June 9, 1907 that a little daughter was born. They named her Valoria. Andrew's father, Anders Johasson was very fond of Valoria and they spent many hours together, she leading him around. When Valoria was almost 2, he died at the age of 89. He would have been 90 on October 18, 1909. In 1908, they were expecting another baby, so Andrew made the grainery into a one room home. Anne's mother (Ane Kirstine Hansen Nielsen) came to stay when the baby was born. On November 21, 1908, another little girl was born. They name her Elma, after a street in Chicago. They lived here for two years and then moved to Bert Tanner's house by the Big Buttes, while Andrew and Samuel Tanner built their new home by the Buttes in Menan. They moved into their new home in 1910. Alta was born there on June 1, 1912. Dr. Melton attended the birth. They had sold the last 60 acres in Burton in the fall of 1909. In 1910 Ren (Andrew's brother) filed on 160 acres in the brush along the Snake River. They bought 120 acres N.W. school section where they built a new home. Joseph (another brother) got 160 acres from John Neely. Andrew decided to homestead at Woodrow in 1911. With the new baby, Anne went to stay with Elize Nielsen Jepsen while getting ready to move. They at last got moved into a one room log cabin. Andrew then prepared to build a frame building and shanty on. He got it built and they were fairly comfortable when on May 27, 1914, another baby girl was born. Dr. Heine attended the birth of Anna. Then Andrew lost his mother. She was staying with Millie at the home in Menan by the Big Buttes. While here at Woodrow, Andrew had a well drilled and a big cistern. The wind pumped the water for all our stock and family. Many neighbors came to get water there because it was the first well in that area. Andrew also had a gas engine to pump the well with when the wind didn't blow. He was starting the engine one day when it suddenly took off. It caught his jumper and would have pulled him into it if he hadn't turned so it pulled it off him. The jumper was torn to shreds. It was very hot and sandy there, but many people homesteaded. Andrew planted grain and the year Anna was born the crickets came. All of the people turned out to drive the crickets into ditches where they tried to burn them, but there was no crop that year. The next year they had a fair crop and Andrew bought the first combine pulled by 32 head of horses. The crop failed again in 1915 and that fall the family moved to Rexburg. In the spring of 1916 Andrew leased 240 acres from Cume Hall at Antelope while the family stayed at Rexburg. On March 17, 1916, another baby girl was born. They named her Irma. The family lived in the front of Andrew Jepsen's house across from the Rick's Academy, later know as Rick's College. While Andrew was at Burton he took some classes at the Academy and became very good in keeping his own books and in math. In 1917 he leased 320 acres of state land from Dell Woodard and also bought 320 acres which was the Steeper's place along Granite creek. Andrew was generous to a fault. He would leave his own work or business to help a neighbor, friend or relative. During the summer and fall of 1918-1919, the flu epidemic hit hard on the dry farms. No one would go near those who were ill. Andrew, being the sort not to think of himself, went from family to family providing food and medicine, also taking care of the stock. He would do any service he could. Surprisingly, his wife and children did not become seriously ill. Many families lost loved ones. He was also good at doctoring livestock. His brothers Ren and Joe used to laugh and say, "The reason Andrew's family didn't have any serious illness was because he used his Veterinary doctor methods on them." While he was on the dry farm above Antelope, he was fastening the chain under the running gears of the wagon to lengthen the reach. The chain had a special hook that closed and as he slipped it into place it caught into the palm of his hand going clear through between the third and fourth fingers. He was caught and no one was around to help him get loose. All had left and he knew there wouldn't be anyone to find him. So, he braced himself and pulled hard, tearing the hook through his hand. When he had gotten loose, he bandaged up his hand the best he could. He hitched up the horses and started for the valley. He made it to Homer Woodard's and they took him to the doctor in Ririe. The family lived on the dry farm in the spring and summer and in the fall they came down to Rexburg for school. In the fall of 1919 they moved back to the Butte ranch and Ren went to the dry farms. The country was at war, World War I, and things were pretty bad. Everyone was going broke, but Andrew, Anne and the girls worked hard to save what they could. The girls mowed and raked the hay. Although there were bad times, there were good times too: riding horses, sleighing and ice skating on the big ponds. It was fun to listen to the frogs croaking in the evening and there were games to play: run sheep run and pump, pump, pull away, with parents and children all joining in the fun. There were also picnics, fishing and berry picking. While at the Butte ranch after leaving the dry farm, he went to Sam Tanner's place for some farm equipment. One morning he decided to hitch up a partially broken horse with a well broken horse to the wagon. They just had some loose planks on the running grates of the wagon and started out alright when the noise frightened the colt and he made a lunge and the horses were on a run. They were in the lane so he couldn't circle them and had to run straight down the road. Sam Tanner jumped off and yelled for Andrew to do the same. The planks, being loose, were bouncing around making it hard to ride. Andrew figured on running the horses into the pole fence at the end of the lane. When Sam hollered, "Jump!” against his better judgement he did. His foot caught and he was thrown under the wagon and it ran over him. He must have been hit on the head because he was out cold. We got him to the house and in bed. Then we got the doctor. He had three broken ribs. The time for haying at the Butte ranch was about due. After three weeks he and the girls got the mowers ready to go and haying was on. He couldn't lay down and he had to sleep sitting up in a big chair. He was in a lot of pain and I surmise his lung had been injured because he coughed a lot if he tried to lay down. But the haying went on. He hired a couple of men to help with the stacking and pitching. He let a man put up some on shares. In about 1922, he was going up to the dry farm at Antelope and Granite Creek. He had two horses on a flatbed wagon, supplies for farming on the wagon and two horses tied to the back of the wagon. He had to cross the railroad track in Rigby, Idaho. He looked both ways, but due to buildings too close to the track, he failed to see the train. The wagon was on the track when the train hit. Andrew was thrown on the double trees and the horses bolted. This threw Andrew and he landed fifty feet or so on the east side of the track. The horses tied to the rear of the wagon jerked back and took off in the other direction. The wagon and the supplies were destroyed, but the horses were ok. Andrew was bruised up and suffered broken ribs again. He loved horse races and in the fall of 1926 or 1927 he had two horses which he took on the race circuit from Boise to Filer, then to the fair in Blackfoot. The name of the horses were Lava Maid and Antelope. He really enjoyed shooting the breeze with the jockeys and owners, as well as the racing. In 1928 the Great Western Fur Company came in and the bank sold the place to them, with Andrew sinking all he had in the company. Eventually it went broke and Andrew lost all that he had, except a few cows and horses. Andrew loved horses and managed to always have two or three good ones to ride and a good team. In 1933 he moved off the Butte ranch and spent a year on his son-in-law, Ezra Casper's place. In 1934 he went up to Jim Grey's ranch and spent part of the winter and summer there. In the fall of 1934 he moved to the Wilson place in Menan. He rented this place from 1934 to 1944, when he bought it. Anne Marie had cancer on her face in 1929 and had it removed but by 1940 it was acting up again. Andrew spent much time and money trying to save his wife, but to no avail; she died on April 30, 1945. He was seventy-five when he lost his dear wife. This was hard for him to face. He had spent many years taking care of her. Andrew continued to live here, but sold his farm to Stillman Ellis. In 1950 Stillman sold the farm to Ezra Casper and Stillman moved to Colville Washington. Andrew went up to stay with Stillman and Irma and went back and forth between them, Valorie and Leon Green. Ezra and Elma sold their place in 1953 and bought a place at Wendell that fall. During that year he divided his time living with Elma in Wendell and Valoria in Menan. In 1954 Valoria was killed in a car accident. Andrew spent most of his latter years visiting his children. He loved horses and during his early years he spent most of his time on the frontier. Some who rode with him said he was the most daring and unafraid person when riding the range that they ever saw. He was good at breaking horses and had many fine ones. He broke his last horse when he was 85 years old. This was a spirited colt right off the range, not a farm pet. Andrew had great fortitude and could always bounce back and start new. He had many close calls in his early life too. He told of a time when he had to swim his horse across the river. It was late fall and very cold, he said when he got to the camp his clothes were frozen on him. His greatest concern to the last was that his children and family should be close, help one another and have genuine love and compassion of each other. Andrew Johnson died while at Elma's on September 24, 1961, at the age of 91, at Wendell, Idaho. He was buried in the Annis Cemetery beside his wife Anne Marie Nielsen.

Anne Marie Nielsen, 25 January 1879 - 30 April 1945

Contributor: Chynna67 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

ANNE MARIE NIELSEN JOHNSON (1879-1945) Written by Elma Johnson Casper My mother, Anne Marie Nielsen was born January 25, 1879 to Hans L. Nielsen and Ane Kirstine (Nielsen) Hansen. She was the third child of this union. A sister, Olga and brother, Hans Christen preceded her but both died in infancy. She was born in Mink Creek, (Franklin County) Idaho. As she grew into a young girl she was taught to sew, knit, card wool, and spin. She was taught the fine arts of cooking which she demonstrated in her excellent bread. The boys of the family would say, "We don't want cake; we just want Annie's bread." Besides helping with the household tasks she would help her brothers with the chores. In turn they would scrub the board kitchen floor. Being their pal and helper she could get the boys to do almost anything. At first there weren't many families who lived close by. When the families who lived a great distance away, came to church, they used Grandfather's place to stay. This put a great burden on grandmother so Annie stayed home from church to help with the work and prepare meals for the travelers. At last it become too much and other arrangements were made. When Annie was 16 she was sent to Lanes Creek and Montpelier to milk the cows which Grandpa sent to the dairy where they made cheese -- Mink Creek having no market for the milk. It was here she met Andrew Johnson, who was herding sheep. Anne also worded as a governess, taking charge of the children's needs. One family she worked for, by the name of Wilcox, ran a store which the wife helped with. Anne loved taking care of the children teaching them to read. She loved to sing and taught them many songs. Anne had attended school through the 5th grade and was a good reader and loved books. However, her parents spoke mostly Danish in the home so it was hard for her to learn English. The teachers were impatient at first, and she got many whacks on the head with the ruler. After 11 years of corresponding and seeing one another about four times during the 11 years, Andrew and Annie decided to get married. Andrew came down to claim his bride. Grandmother Nielsen went with them to Paris, Idaho. They were married July 5, 1906. Andrew was almost 36 (Aug. 2) and Anne was 27. Andrew took his bride home to Burton, Idaho--his parent's home. Valoria, their first daughter was born on June 9, 1907. They lived here until June of 1908 where Andrew had converted the grainery into a one room home. It was here that Elma was born on November 21, 1908. Mother and Dad at last moved to the Butte ranch. Father having built a five room house. He and his brother Ren were in the cattle business. Mother was a great pioneer and adjusted well with each change as Papa made his many moves. It was in 1911 when we moved into the Butte home, Alta was born on June 1, 1912. In 1913, they homesteaded the farm at Woodrow. This was sandy prairie land. They moved into a one room log house to which Papa later added a large frame addition and a shanty for storage. This was hard on Mother. She didn't have a well or any modern conveniences and had to deal with the sand which got very hot in the summer. However, she was a good homemaker, using all the skills here mother had taught her. Often she would gather the wool which the sheep had scraped off on the fences and corded it into bats to be made into quilts, sometimes quilted and sometimes tied. She was a good cook. In hard times I wondered where it came from. She managed well. She was supportive of Papa in all that he did. While we were in Woodrow, Anna was born (May 27, 1914). In 1915, we went to Rexburg and Irma was born March 17, 1916. Mother stayed in Rexburg that summer and things were easier for her. But in the spring of 1918 he acquired 200 acres at Antelope. Since he was already there, the family joined him in May. He also acquired 360 acres of state land and the Streeper place which was also 360 acres. Mother had to cook for the men on a camp stove which was very small and had a very small oven. She didn't even have meat to cook with because we had no way to keep it. Papa would buy dried cod and she would make do with it. Sometimes we had ham and bacon. Since we were so far from town, my father always bought things in bulk. Even though things were hard to get she never complained. She would take us children berry picking--chokecherries, black and red currents, gooseberries, wild grapes, and wild strawberries. She would make a delicious "red mush" (as she called it) which was made with different berry juices thickened with corn starch. Times were really hard at the close of World War I and we lost everything, but Mother stood by Papa encouraging with help and love. I never knew my parents to quarrel or speak harsh words. If they had any differences, they settled it in private. They always showed their love for one another. Sometimes Papa would get excited and raise his voice. Mother would say "Anto", and he would quiet down. She couldn't stand loud talk. I remember once when the dam was going out that subbed our place at the Butte ranch. There were lots of willows. So Papa decided to cut them and lay them in and across the dam to reinforce it. My mother wielded the ax all that day and part of the next. My sisters and I dragged the willows over to Dad and he placed them in the proper place to hold the dam. Mother was a great strength to Papa, and as the years went by he learned to appreciate her more and more. When she became ill he nursed her with much love and care to the end. We all loved to gather around in the evenings, or rainy or winter days, and have Mother read to us. She had a special gift that brought the stories home to you. We enjoyed having her read "Little Women", "Joe's Boys", "Little Men", "Girl of the Limberlost", and "Freckles". Oh, how we loved to have her sing to us and to help us try to sing. Papa, especially wanted her to sing "Love at Home" and "Ere You Left Your Room This Morning." Mother passed away when she was 66 years old. She had struggled with a cancer on her face for 6 years. She died in the spring on April 30, 1945. What a wonderful sweet mother we had. May we as her descendents try to follow in her footsteps.

Life timeline of Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson was born on 2 Aug 1870
Andrew Johnson was 15 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
Andrew Johnson was 24 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
Andrew Johnson was 35 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Andrew Johnson was 42 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Andrew Johnson was 50 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Andrew Johnson was 60 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Andrew Johnson was 71 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Andrew Johnson was 85 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Andrew Johnson died on 24 Sep 1961 at the age of 91
Grave record for Andrew Johnson (2 Aug 1870 - 24 Sep 1961), BillionGraves Record 305000 Rigby, Jefferson, Idaho, United States