Andrew Ferguson

6 Sep 1818 - 19 Feb 1888

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Andrew Ferguson

6 Sep 1818 - 19 Feb 1888
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

My Great Great Grandfather Andrew Ferguson was born in 1818 in Rutherglen (near Glasgow). He joined the Church in 1844 in Scotland, moved to Utah, married, and settled in Spanish Fork. He was called on a mission to Scotland in 1852-55 and left his and his mother's families, who he was caring for. An

Life Information

Andrew Ferguson


Spanish Fork City Cemetery

Cemetery Roads
Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah
United States


June 6, 2012

B Hold

May 22, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Andrew


Andrew Ferguson is buried in the Spanish Fork City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Andrew Ferguson's Mission to Scotland

Contributor: Frostyfan33 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

My Great Great Grandfather Andrew Ferguson was born in 1818 in Rutherglen (near Glasgow). He joined the Church in 1844 in Scotland, moved to Utah, married, and settled in Spanish Fork. He was called on a mission to Scotland in 1852-55 and left his and his mother's families, who he was caring for. Andrew had a companion named Robertson. Well, it so happens I also served my first mission in Scotland in 1962. While on a second mission with my wife to London in 2011-12, I served with Robertson's Great-Great Grandson, John Robertson. We found that out about our two ancestors serving together as we were comparing notes one day. I found that very gratifying. Here is a link to his journal now in the BYU Library:

Andrew Ferguson b. 6 September 1818, Scotland

Contributor: Frostyfan33 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Andrew Ferguson b. 6 September 1818, Scotland The life of Andrew Ferguson – condensed from his journal. This is my husband John’s Great-great grandfather. Andrew Ferguson was born 6 September 1818 in Rutherglen, Scotland. He went to work in the coal mines at the age of nine years. He had gone to school until them. He worked with his father who was a collier. He was brought up in the Church of Scotland. His parents were poor. After courting her for seven years, at the age of twenty-four, he married Catherine Douglas (Kattie) July 15, 1842. They were married by William Bicket, a minister of the Scottish Relief Church. Her father, Robert Douglas was born at Tarbet in the Highlands. He was captain of a ship. Her mother Mary Bruce was born in Glasgow. catherine-douglas-ferguson-b-1880 Catherine Douglas was reared by William Reid and wife at Rutherglen. She received a good common school education. She was intelligent and religious. She made her living as a power loom weaver. They were married and lived at Rutherglen. Soon after they moved ten miles east of Glasgow to Airdre, where they lived for two years and where twin girls were born, Agnes Reid and Barbara Orther. He says he had them sprinkled to please their mother who was “very tenacious to the faith.” They both joined the Mormon Church in September 1844. His mother, Barbara Orther Lindsay Ferguson died a few days after he was baptized. In May 1845 they moved to Rutherglen to convert his family to Mormonism. But only two sisters ever joined the Church. They had a daughter, Mary Bruce, seven months old who died in consequence of “ross on the body and water in the head.” Another daughter, Elizabeth Lock was born in Rutherglen and a son ELi. During all this time he worked tracting and preaching but not many concerts, “owing to prejudice which is a characteristic of the Scottish people”…”Slow to move but sterling when moved.” January 17, 1847 Andrew was made President of the Rutherglen Branch of the Church. He said, “I gave myself to much fasting and prayer that I might perform my duties well as it has always been my feelings and delight to do good ever since I came into this earth.” i desire my children to act honorable to all men, and to God and every good man will love you”. Andrew’s wife Catherine, died 4 Jan. 1848 of Cholera following the birth of their son, Eli. Eighteen months later Andrew married a widow, Elizabeth Watson McIsaac, who had two children, a boy and a girl, ages 16 and 14, Dunk and Anne. On the 22nd of May 1851 a son, William was born at Rutherglen. On Oct. 2, 1851 Andrew started out on a mission with Elder James Leathem to the Southwest of Scotland without any money and leaving his family with very little to live on. He was gone for six months before returning home. “I visited my family and found them all well and in good spirits, always having a bite to eat although sometimes pretty scanty. Yet with all this my wife was willing that I should go again so on the 3rd of April I left again for Aberdeen. The Aberdeen Branch was in an Apostate condition and he had some serious problems to straighten out. He sought God’s guidance in fasting and prayer. He visited his family on September 12, 1852. “They were glad to see me. During my absence they had suffered a little for the comforts of life, and were in debt a few pounds, and were all very bad off for shoes and clothing, so much so that I was ashamed to look at them. My wife had sold a chest of drawers for 2 pounds and 10 shillings to assist the family. After this Andrew was called to visit Branches around Glasgow. He said of one visit, “I had to change the Presidents of three branches and re-baptize them all.” He was soon called called by the President of the British Mission to preside over the Dundee Conference, eight branches and 330 members. Later he was called to to preside over the Preston Conference in Liverpool, where he moved his family in April 1854. He spoke of his father and brother John, having been in an explosion in a coal mine and both being severely burned, but that they would recover. He hoped to take John (17) with him to the “valley” when he goes. “On February 27th, we set sail for America on the ship, Siddons, an American ship carrying 400 saints. Had a very rough voyage, contrary winds and lots of sea sickness. Landed in Philadelphia, 3 May 1855. In all it took 66 days. Took passage on the rail road to Pittsburg to the 6th and arrived on the 8th then we took a steamboat up the river at Atchison, where we arrived in one week. i remained there eight weeks, doling out provisions to emigrants crossing the plains. During that time since leaving England we have been tried, some have complained, some murmured, some apostatized, yet me and my family are feeling well and thankful for being here. We were organized into a company of wagons with Moses Thurston as captain and a captain appointed over every ten wagons. I was appointed over ten wagons. President Milo Andrus called us together, inspected our arms, gave us our charge and commanded us to God. We were all commanded to hitch up and start off, and we traveled 12 miles the first day, which was good for inexperienced drivers, unbroken cattle and all. This was on July 3rd, 1855. We moved slowly for a week then faster. On August 23 at Deer Creek, Nebraska Territory 20 miles east of Fort Laramie at 8 a. m., we had a son born and named him Andrew Thurston. The camp started at 7 a.m. so we had to pull to one side. The captain sent back a posse of men to escort us to camp as the Indians were swarming all around us. From the time we stopped until we started again was one hour, and we caught up with the camp at 1 p.m. We traveled 16 miles that day and 12 the next day. We arrived in SLC the 26th of September 1855 with my family all well and rejoicing that we had reached the place of our destination. Many of our friends came to see us and invited us to their homes. At this time the family consisted of: Andrew Ferguson age 37 Elizabeth Ferguson age 40 Agnes Reid 12 Barbara Orther 12 Elizabeth Lock 9 Eli Brazee Kelsey 7 William 4 Andrew Moses Thurston 1 month In 1856 the Ferguson family moved to Spanish Fork and lived in the old Monk lot in a dugout. Later they bought the block just west of where the Thurber school now stands in Spanish Fork. A three room adobe house was built, the doors of the house were paneled and the windows were the sash type with 12 panes of glass in each. A hedge grew on either side of the path and around the back door. A well was dug and water was drawn up in a wooden keg bucket. Sometime later another large adobe room was built on the west of the three rooms. Later as the family married this room was divided into a bedroom and kitchen. Another son, John Fergson was born in Spanish Fork, Dec 24, 1875. His mother Elizabeth Watson Ferguson died and Andrew was again a widower with a family of children. He married a widow named Mary Baxter, she also had a family. It was rather amusing to hear the older granddaughters tell of this courtship as Andrew never went calling on her without taking his three married girls with him. She lived in Goshen so it took most of the day to make the trip and they always stayed overnight. Andrew was again called to serve a mission to Scotland leaving Aunt Mary caring for the two families. Andrew held many positions of trust: he was Justice of the Peace from 1865 to 1870. Alderman in 1883, City Attorney and was the first President of the Spanish Fork Co-Op. On February 2, 1888 he consecrated all of his property to the Lord and the United Order, amounting to $613.00. He died Feb. 19, 1988 in Spanish Fork, Utah and was buried in the Spanish Fork Cemetery. Posted on September 6, 2016 by annlaemmlenlewis To see pictures relating to this story, please check here:

Moses Thurston Company

Contributor: Frostyfan33 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

I have included this account of the Moses Thurston Company into Andrew's history because he and his family were members of the aforementioned company. Source: Press, The Church Historian's. "Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel." Moses Thurston Company (1855) - Pioneer Overland Travels. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, n.d. Web. 09 July 2017. Refer to the "View Summary" for the details of this account. "Moses Thurston and many of the emigrants who would be part of his overland emigrant train left Liverpool, England, April 22, 1855, aboard the ship S. Curling(often called the Samuel Curling in Church records). Thurston was returning to Utah after serving a mission in England; the emigrants were Mormon converts. After an exceptionally rough voyage of 30 days, the ship docked at New York. Next, the travelers went by rail to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and from there by steamboat down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to St. Louis. Elder Thurston and about 100 passengers arrived in St. Louis on June 9 aboard the steamboat Gibson. From St. Louis they steamed up the Missouri River to Atchison, Kansas Territory--the Mormon outfitting point for plains travel that year. One of the emigrants described the country surrounding Atchison as wild and timbered. "Organized at Mormon Grove (just outside Atchison), Thurston's was an independent company, but it included many Perpetual Emigration Fund passengers. At least one of the English families, however, was wealthy enough to pay for the outfit of another family. A few of the emigrants who accompanied Thurston were from Ohio. The train started for Utah on July 4; it consisted of 148 individuals, 33 ox-drawn wagons, 234 oxen, 28 cows, and 12 horses. Because of Indian hostilities along the trail, this train traveled part of the way to Utah with the Richard Ballantyne company. "Along the trail, one female traveler reportedly put some of her milk and cream "in a tightly covered wooden churn and fastened [it] firmly inside the wagon; the butter was already churned when [the company] reached the evening camp." This same woman lovingly nurtured her yeast culture so that her family could have leavened bread, which she baked in "rock ovens built by previous pioneers." On August 24 the Thurston train was at the Upper Ford of the Platte, some 15 miles ahead of Ballantyne's company. All was well with the emigrants. They had lost no cattle or horses, and no one had died. Two young men from the company escorted Elder Erastus Snow and a companion (who were traveling to Utah unescorted) to Warm Springs; then they returned to the train. The company arrived in Salt Lake City on September 28 with the emigrants generally in good health and excellent spirits."

Andrew Ferguson b. 6 September 1818, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Contributor: Frostyfan33 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Posted on September 6, 2017 by annlaemmlenlewis To see all the photos relating to this story, please check here: Andrew Ferguson is my husband John’s 2nd Great-grandpa. John Conley Lewis < John Dean Lewis < Frederick Lewis < Agnes Reed Ferguson < Andrew Ferguson andrew-ferguson Biography of ANDREW FERGUSON With his wives CATHERINE DOUGLAS and ELIZABETH WATSON by BETTY (FERGUSON) TIPPETS, his granddaughter. WILLIAM WELLS HOUGHTON JR incorporated minor corrections/editing. ANDREW FERGUSON, the son of WILLIAM FERGUSON and BARBARA ORTHUR LINDSAY natives of Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, Scotland, was born the 6th of September 1818, in Rutherglen. The family consisted of 5 sons and 7 daughters. ANDREW went to school until 9 years of age when he left school to enter the coal pits and work with his father. rutherglen-town-hall Rutherglen Town Hall He was a member of the Church of Scotland, but was very skeptical in his mind about this church in early manhood. He married CATHERINE DOUGLAS when he was 24 years of age after having courted her for 7 years. CATHERINE DOUGLAS was born in Glasgow, Scotland on the 6th of October 1819. Her father was ROBERT DOUGLAS, a sea captain, of Tarbet in the Highlands. Her mother was named MARY BRUCE. CATHERINE was very religious. catherine-douglas-ferguson-b-1880 Catherine Douglas b. 6 Oct 1819, Barany, Lanark, Scotland After their marriage, the couple moved to Airdice about 10 miles from Glasgow, where they met the Mormon Elders. CATHERINE was baptized on the 16th and ANDREW on the 22nd of September 1844, both by MATTHEW CAROUTHERS. They moved back to Rutherglen in 1845, so enthused with their new belief that they hoped to convert all of their relatives and friends to their new faith. In this they were sadly disappointed, as only 2 of the FERGUSON family and none of the DOUGLAS family embraced the Gospel. ANDREW preached to them, and in later years his grandsons carried the Gospel to them, but it was no use. His sisters MARY and ELIZABETH both immigrated to Utah. ANDREW was ordained a Teacher on August 31st 1845 by Elder JOHN BANKS, a Priest in November 1845 by PETER MCCUE and an Elder on the 17th of January 1847 by JOHN SHIELDS. He was appointed President of the Rutherglen Branch of the Church and served 4 years and nine months, tracting and preaching all the time. His wife CATHERINE died of cholera when 30 years of age after giving birth to a son 8 days before her death on the 28th of December 1849. That night when Andrew came home from his work in the mines, she told him she was afraid she would die before morning and she told him to take the children to Zion. A few hours later she passed away. MARY BAXTER kept house for him for one month after which his sister JANET, 12 years old, cared for the family. The baby boy ELI was put out to nurse for whom Andrew paid 3 shillings each week for 14 months. There were three children in the family besides the baby, all girls – AGNES, BARBARA, and ELIZABETH, MARY BRUCE having died in infancy. On the 15th of July 1850, ANDREW FERGUSON married ELIZABETH (WATSON) McISAAC, a widow with two children, a boy DUNCAN and a girl ANNIE. ELIZABETH was born at Kilmarnock, Scotland on the 4th of July 1814. A son named WILLIAM was born 22 May 1851. ferguson-andrew-journal-byu-special-collections Andrew’s Journal is kept in the BYU Special Collections ANDREW was sent out as a traveling Elder in September 1851 without purse or script and 100 miles to travel to his field of labor. He was gone from his family for 7 months. He returned home and after a few days visit with them was again sent out to preside over the Aberdeen Branch in the north of Scotland. He remained in Aberdeen until the 19th of February 1853, when he visited his family again in Rutherglen. On the 26th of February, he left to go to Dundee taking his daughter BARBARA with him. He was in Dundee until June 29th of the same year. On January 6, 1854 he went to England to preside over the Preston Conference where he remained until 20th of April 1854. He returned to Rutherglen and moved his family to England. While he was on these missions h is family was very poor and his wife ELIZABETH made straw hats and many other things to help them purchase the necessities of life. On 1 February 1855, he was released from the Preston Conference. ship-james-smith-similar-to-siddons-that-brought-fergusons-to-america This ship, the James Smith, is very similar to the Siddons that brought the Ferguson family to America. Below is the ship manifest.ferguson-andrew-ship-manifest On the 27th of February the family sailed from Liverpool on the steamboat ‘Siddons’ to go to America to help build up Zion. The voyage was rough and they suffered a lot from seasickness. They were at sea for 62 days. They landed in Philadelphia on the 30th of April 1855. They boarded the train for Pittsburgh on the 6th of March and then took a boat to St. Louis arriving the 24th of May 1855. The next day they left on a boat up the river arriving at Atchison, Kansas Territory, on June 1st. ANDREW was in charge of the 30th a company was organized consisting of thirty wagons with MOSES THURSTON as Captain. These 30 wagons were divided into 10s and ANDREW was appointed Captain of one of the 10s. They started on July 3rd for Utah Valley. On August 23rd at Deer Creek, Nebraska, a son was born to ANDREW and ELIZABETH whom they named ANDREW THURSTON. The mother was so ill that they dropped out of the wagon train at 7 AM. The Captain ordered them back into line because of hostile Indians. They arrived in Salt Lake City on the 20th of September 1855. Many of their former acquaintances came to visit them and invited them to their homes. ANDREW was put in charge of the poor fund for immigrants by Bother BALLANTYNE , doling out their provisions day by day. The family lived in Cottonwood until the Fall of 1856 when they moved to Spanish Fork and lived on the old Marsh lot in a dugout built by DUNCAN MCISAAC. They owned 10 acres of land in the north of town and 20 acres where the Oregon Shortline Depot now stands. They started farming in 1857. By trading and selling they acquired land in the river bottoms and continued farming as long as the father lived. They purchased the block on Center Street and First and Second West and First South which they always owned. ELI and WILLIAM acquired portions of it and built homes for themselves. On February 2, 1858, he consecrated all of his property to the Lord ( the United Order) amounting to 613 dollars. ANDREW FERGUSON later returned to Scotland and filled a two-year mission. Another son was born in Spanish Fork named JOHN. His wife, ELIZABETH, passed away December 24th 1875 in Spanish Fork. He married MARY BAXTER before he went on his mission. They were later divorced. tyndale-mary-reid-m-andrew-ferguson-div Mary Reid Baxter ferguson-andrew-family-reid-sitting-john-r-standing-on-rightThe Andrew Ferguson Family. Reid is sitting and John Robert standing on the right. He was Justice of the Peace from 1865 to 1878, Alderman in 1883, City Attorney, and first President of the Spanish Fork Coop. One year before his death, he married MARGARET ANDERSON of Scofield, an old Scotch lady who had kept house for him for some time. He died on the 12th of February 1888 and was buried in the Spanish Fork City Cemetery. April 2006 241.jpg ferguson-andrew-death Andrew Ferguson Death Record

Andrew Ferguson - From History written by William O. Creer

Contributor: Frostyfan33 Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Andrew had been a coalminer and he knew nothing about horse or oxen. The first years were hard years as it was for most of the other families. Whenever Elizabeth baked bread, the Indians would smell it baking and come up and ask for some it. At first Elizabeth was generous and shared it with them but soon they demanded more and more until they wanted all she had. One day after baking, she saw an Indian coming toward the house with a tomahawk. She quickly raised the feather bed and hid her bread beneath it. The Indian came in and demanded the bread and searched everywhere for it .When he couldn’t find it he raised his tomahawk and came for Elizabeth. Just then grandfather appeared in the doorway with a grubbing hoe and the Indian left. Andrews boys Andrew and Bill used to carry freight down to Pioche. On one of their trips they were caught in a snowstorm. They stopped and when the storm was over scraped the snow from the ground to make their camp. While there some other freighters from home found them and gave them a letter from their father saying that their mother had died. On Feb. 22, 1858 he consecrated everything he had to the church. His property, furniture, family and himself. After the death of Elizabeth, Andrew was very lonely. He found it very hard to keep house. One day he took his married daughters and their children in the wagon and all went to Goshen to visit a widow friend of his from Scotland, a Mrs. Baxter. He told her he would provide the food if she would come and cook it. So in a short time they were married. Apr. 29 1879 Andrew was called on another mission to Scotland. His children were all married except Johnny. When his father returned Johnny left for California to make his fortune. Andrew held many positions of trust in the community. He was Justice of the peace, alderman. City attorney, and Pres. of the Spanish Fork Coop. After the death of Mrs. Baxter, Andrew married an old Scotch lady, a convert of his. When she could no longer do the house work she went to Canada with her son John Anderson and family. There she died. Grandfather was a man of large stature, strong character, very intelligent. He was plain spoken, but an affectionate and loving husband and father, a true Latter-day Saint. He died 2 Feb, 1888 at Spanish Fork.

Life timeline of Andrew Ferguson

Andrew Ferguson was born on 6 Sep 1818
Andrew Ferguson was 7 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
Andrew Ferguson was 13 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Andrew Ferguson was 22 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Andrew Ferguson was 41 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Andrew Ferguson was 43 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Andrew Ferguson was 56 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Andrew Ferguson died on 19 Feb 1888 at the age of 69
Grave record for Andrew Ferguson (6 Sep 1818 - 19 Feb 1888), BillionGraves Record 1351445 Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah, United States