Allen M Cox

16 Mar 1913 - 16 Feb 2002

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Allen M Cox

16 Mar 1913 - 16 Feb 2002
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Allen M Cox (16 Mar 1913 - 16 Feb 2002) at Alton Cemetery in Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Allen M Cox
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Allen M Cox

Married: 4 Nov 1939

Alton Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Kanab, Kane, Utah
United States

Larry Bulloch

September 14, 2021


August 30, 2021


August 29, 2021

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Allen M...

We found more records about Allen M Cox.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Allen M


Allen M Cox is buried in the Alton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: kdbulloch Created: 3 months ago Updated: 3 months ago

Born at Orderville, Utah, June 25, 1878 Died at Alton, Utah September 29, 1943 In a cozy little glen, shielded by high mountains and ledges on the north, east and west, the center of Long valley, lies a little town of Orderville. It was settled by a group of people known as the "United Order." From this it derived its name. They began this place April 1, 1873. Among this group was a young maid, Susan Brown, and her parents, with a family of six children; Louisa, Malissa, Robert H., George, and Rosina. The parents' names were Robert H. Brown and Eunice Pectol. A young married man, Delaun Mills Cox with a wife Charlotte Kelsy and two children, Abigail and Elvira, came and joined the Order March 5, 1875. Two years later their first son was born, Leonard Delaun Cox. Their church taught plural marriage. In the meantime, Delaun met Susan, wooed and won her. They were married August 8, 1877 in the St. George Temple. The next year in the northwest room of the upper story, of a 12 roomed two story building; standing north and south in the center block with three rooms on east and three rooms on the west of each story, the ground floor completely surrounded by a ground porch, and the upper story by a deck porch, their first baby was born, June 25, 1878. This boy was I (William Mills Cox). My first recollection is running south across the west porch of the ground floor of the Big House. A large dining hall stood in the center of the main block, with a lane leading to it from Main Street on the south. Shanties were built in rows on the outside of this block, except on the southeast corner where the Big House stood. Each shanty was built of two rooms for two families. A double chimney, with a fireplace for each room, was built between them. Later a lean-to was built to the main room, as a kitchen for each family. A row of shanties stood on the west side of the lane leading to the dining hall. Mother Charlotte lived in the north main room and kitchen and my Mother on the south side. Well I do remember the time I was about four years old, when my raiment was changed from dresses to pants. About this time Dan Palmer gave me a small hatchet. In the year 1884, the Order broke up and Father moved both families into a four roomed house on the west side of town by a steep clay hill, on the upper side of what we called "the big ditch." The winter after I was six years old, I went to school. I remember the big chart hanging on the wall of the old dining hall which was now used for school purposes. This chart was a picture of a dog with words written on each side of the picture, and reading about it underneath. This was one lesson. The rising sun was another. We were said to be in the chart class when we learned to read. We learned to add, subtract, multiply and divide with beads strung on wires in a frame, 10 beads on a wire and 10 wires in a frame. Leonard and I went through some of the grades together. We memorized part of our lessons and repeated them while at work or play. One Christmas Leonard and I each received a gift in the form of a bright blue sled made by Father. Merry times did we have tramping a sleigh track up the steep clay hill, and riding down over a little knoll, where the sled would jump several feet; still going on some distance after the level was reached. We were still quite young when Father bought a bunch of old ewes. In the spring the ewes had lambs. School being out, we herded them on the hills west of town, reciting and having great times exploring and watching the lambs play. Grandfather Brown died the year before I was born. After the Order broke up Father rented Grandmother's farm, using her team. A little later he broke up land in the cove to use as dry land. He bought an old mare, Kit, about 900 lbs., and a sorrel mare, Puss, about 1,000 lbs., she was high strung. The next winter after school was out, in the evenings Leonard cut drags on the west hill, and I would drag them home. We got about half of the wood we burned. One day Leonard and I went with Father to the ledges northeast of town to get a load of wood. We were dragging it off the ledges to the wagon. I was riding Puss, and as I started down the hill with the drag, it caught on a rock flipping the drag over, and hitting the mare on the rump. Being high strung, she got frightened and ran down the hill. I fell over her head, lighting on my back between two rocks. I can still see myself lying on my back clinging to the reins as the mare jumped over me. The drag, hitting the rocks, bounced over me also, leaving me unhurt. In May 1888, Grandmother and Uncle Robert with their team, took Mother and her five children (William M., Charles R., Eunice Ann, Edward, and Susan) around by Rockville, Cedar, Parowan and Redcreek, back through Bear Valley to Glenwood, on our way to Fairview. We stayed there a few days visiting relatives. Arch Bucannon took us to Manti, 40 miles. We could see the spires of the temple soon after leaving Glenwood. While we were there, the Manti Temple was being dedicated. We were taken through the temple to see it's beautiful scenery and work. We stayed with Aunt Adelia Sidwell's family a few days. Uncle Walter Brown brought us on to Fairview, 30 miles. Grandmother and Grandfather Cox and most of father's brothers and sisters lived there. I found four cousins my age, 10 years, 1888. Grandfather was sick in bed from old age. He passed away early on the fourth of July. While Uncle Amasa was out leading the morning celebration. Grandfather was all right when Amasa left the house early. When Grandmother arose, he was dead. Uncle Almer was very good to us this summer. We lived in a small cottage on one of his lots. I helped his boys, Morlin and Phileman on the farm all I could. One day six year old Edward was driving Uncle Almer's bunch of sheep from our place to his. On the way the ram turned and bunted him over. Every time he raised up, the ram bunted him down again, and began to paw him. Uncle Will Sidwell, whose place was near, ran out and picked Edward up. In Sept., Eunice, Charles and I went to school for a while. Aunt Euphrassia Day and her husband were teaching in the two departments. In December father took us back to Orderville. The trees were so bare. They had been very pretty and green when we left. This was the time of the raid. The Deputies were getting hot on the trails of the polygamist families, so father decided to take Mother to Arizona. He moved us to Mocassin. That winter we had no shoes to wear. I went on the hill barefooted to get wood to burn. We lived by a large sand spring about a fourth of a mile from Heaton's place. I had to go this distance twice a day to milk our cow. It wasn't so bad on the frost mornings, but when there was snow, I would run a ways with the milk, then drop to my knees and hold my feet up to warm, then run again. The snow didn't fall very deep, and melted soon after falling. In the spring Mother gave birth to another boy, Amasa Brown Cox. This summer I worked for Alvin Heaton at 25 cents a day. When he sold his melons in September in Kanab, he paid me for my work. I bought some clothes and shoes for me, and a sewing machine for Mother for $10.00. December 23, 1889, a general fast was called. It was to be from sun to sun, called by Pres. Woodruff and the general authorities of the church to soften the hearts of the leaders of the nation, to return the properties confiscated by the Government. In March 1890, Charles went with Father to get wood. While leading his horse down the hill with a drag, Father jumped to get out of the way of the horse, striking a rock just below the knee, breaking his leg and wrenching his knee. He sent Charles on the horse to Heaton's place for help. As he passed our place on the horse with the harness still on, and on the run, we were very worried but didn't find out anything until he came back with help. When they brought Father home, he had been in the cold so long his injured leg was much inflamed. He was laid up for about six weeks. I learned to make bushel baskets out of willows, at this time. A little later I learned how to make Bow baskets from peeled willows. The bottom and sides for about 21 inches were woven like the other baskets, then 4 willows for ribs were put in to make bows higher. The next winter (1890-91) I went to school at Orderville. I lived with Mother Charlotte. Leonard and I had great times together. Jed Woolet taught the school. He seemed to have a pick at some of us. I being out of school for nearly three years was very bashful. He delighted to frighten me by raising his pointer as if to strike me. Sometimes I was chewing my tongue while writing. He nearly frightened me out of my wits when he first called on me to dismiss school. Just before school closed in the spring, he began calling on me constantly to open and dismiss school, so I learned to slip out any time I wished. I stayed out mornings until school opened, then came into answer to my name. Just before school closed, I answered to my name, took off my shoes and skipped out. He called me to dismiss the evening before the last day of school that year, and I was not there. Charlotte told me about it afterwards. He told me the next day that I must dismiss that evening, or he would call me a coward. That afternoon my father told me to go with him to Moccasin, which I was very glad to do. On the way I told him about it. I was very glad to see mother. In 1891 my father and I went to herd sheep for Jedidiah Adair on a plateau north of Asay Creek. On our way out, we took supplies to Alfred Meeks, herding drys for Jed. He was only a boy of 13, and said he would be 14 in May. Jed's sheep were starting to lamb rather early, the feed just starting was rather scarce. I herded the ewes with lambs and father the dropping bunch. Jed said sugar and rice are the cheapest foods, so we both ate freely of each, as we hadn't had either of these in our diet. I remember well the General Fast called by President Woodruff, May 1891. The fast was mostly in thanksgiving for what the Lord did after the fast of Dec. 3, 1889. We were to fast and pray that the Lord might soften the hearts of the leaders of the nation, to return the Franchise of the Latter-Day Saints which had been taken away. The fast was to be from sun to sun. It seemed a long day for me, being alone most of the time. About the last of May, it began to snow. Jed and his partner came out and had to cut pine boughs for the sheep to eat. We came home on the 30th through a foot of fresh snow. I helped on the dry farm most of the time that summer. In September father asked me to drive to Moccasin and bring a load of Mother's things back to Orderville. I was to go by Kanab and take sister Abbie over to work for Jed Wooley. The road being very sandy, it became dark before we reached the crossing of Kanab Creek about 5 miles north of Kanab. As we started down the bank a clip came off the single tree. I got out to fix it, and to my astonishment, I saw in the darkness a steep, perpendicular bank 15 or 20 feet high from the water. The Kanab Dam had broken and washed the creek out, being a sand bottom. The only thing left for us to do, was hitch a chain to the back of the wagon and pull it back out and camp til morning. Next day we followed other wagon tracks down on the west side of the creek about a mile, where we could cross and went on our way rejoicing. I left Abbie in Kanab, went on to Moccasin, got my load, and finished my trip without any more trouble. That winter I lived with Mother in an old shop by a little bur mill. Father had to grind corn into meal and wheat into graham. We had only an old cook-stove for warmth. Many a night did I go to bed with cold feet and lay awake for hours. That winter we had a nice teacher, Christine Forsey. On the 8th of Feb. (1892?) I was ordained a deacon by Elder George Harman. During this winter while snow was still on the ground Sven Anderson took Father and I to his herd south of the Red Knoll. Some of the ewes were lambing. They picked those and the ones that were going to lamb out of the herd and had me herd them. Father took Hans Sorensen's place herding the rest of them. When the lambs were old enough to follow the rest of the herd, Father told me to go home, about 12 miles, and go to school again. On the way as I was rounding a point I heard the report of a gun and saw the dust fly just a few feet from me. I shouted and went on around the point and there were 3 Indians shooting at a mark on the rock. They saw me and stopped, for they were friendly. Amy was born April 6th, (1892?) the day the capstone of the Salt Lake Temple was laid. In August the U. S. Marshalls were after the polygamists so Father decided to take Mother to Fredonia, Arizona. I drove Mother's two cows afoot 29 miles. When they arrived in Kanab, expecting to attend conference, the deputies were there so Father took the family down in the night. I followed the next day. I went on to Moccasin and herded a bunch of 300 ewes for Jonathan Heaton at 50 cents a day. That winter I went to school again in Orderville, staying with Mother Charlotte. Dec. 9th Jim Emmit moved Mother to Cottonwood to be company for his wife who was about to be confined. It was in Utah , but secluded. The fast heeded by the Mormons not only brought back their franchise but also amnesty to all plural marriages contracted before the Manifesto issued by Pres. Woodruff. This was the year of the great panic and drought of 1883. About half of the cattle on the range died. The price fell very low; stock sheep to 90 cents a head, and wool to 3 cents a pound. I made dobies for a fireplace to be put in the west end of the lean-to Father and I expected to erect for Mother just before she was to be confined again. Clarissa was born Feb. 17, 1894. J. M. Lauritzson taught school in 1892-3. This lean-to was built on a lot covering the "old skating pond" with a rock wall built across the mouth of a hollow to make the dam. This pond had filled with very fine alluvial soil, making a good garden spot. It was in the extreme western part of town. I helped get up toe corn, hauling with the team. Father helped load. He and Charles cut and Leonard would shock it. He worked in the stable while I was getting the loads. That fall I took one team (Kit and Dick) and went with Leonard to haul wood. I hauled Mother's; Leonard hauled his Mother's. 1893-94: I went to school a while this winter after holidays, but quit in February on account of health. I did what I could around the place, making fences, building corrals and stables. That summer besides helping on the farm I dug and walled up a cellar with rock. Leonard went to herd for Thomas Chamberlain so that fall I took the brown mare, Dick, the best of his team, and the bay, Mish, the best in the team I had driven, put them together and made a fine 1200 lb. team. The gray mare in Leonard's team strayed off, as they were turned on the mountain, and we never heard of her again. On July 1, 1894, my five-year-old brother, Amasa, died. It gave much grief. It was the first time I had come in contact with death. The next winter, 1894-95, Allen Cutler taught school. He was a fine teacher. I stayed with Fred Heaton, doing his chores and working around while not in school. He lived close to the cemetery, which I had to pass going to town many times after dark. I was very timid but told no one about it. Many nights I lay awake at night wondering about death. In the spring I had a very sore tongue. It was swollen until it filled my mouth. My stomach was sour most of the time. Allen Cutler was studying to be a doctor so I went to him. He said to clean my teeth good and to try to find out the things which did not have a bad effect on my stomach, which I tried to follow. In June I helped V. K. Palmer to build a house for Hack Jolley at 50 cents a day. That fall I built a house over the cellar, put in a petition, so we boys could sleep in one room and the girls in the other. It was my first try at planning and building. I put the rafter on the end joints to save an extra piece to nail the boards on. I helped get the corn; hauled slabs and posts to build stables and a place to put feed. I hauled our wood and went to school after Christmas, 1896. I sure enjoyed going to school when Allen Cutler taught. In the spring we bought a farm at Kanab Creek and about 12 mi. from Orderville and 7 mi. east of Glendale. We gave $100 for it in cows, which left us short in milk. My stomach was bad again so had to quit school early again. Charles could throw me down; he weighed 140 lb. and I 108 lb. He was staying at George Carroll's for his board. Our family was having a hard time to even get food. We just raised corn on dry land. In May I started to herd rams for Fred Heaton at 50 cents a day. I milked a cow that gave 2 qts. Her calf was as large as a long yearling. The food and the mountain air did wonders for me. In 6 weeks I grew an inch in height and gained 20 lbs., from 108 to 128. In the summer I hauled lumber and slabs from the mill to Kanab Creek to build a shed and granary. In the fall I helped get up the corn and the wood. On June 14, 1896, a young lady, Lucy Esplin, I had loved over five years, died, and the world seemed lost to me. During the winter of 1896-97, I went to school again. In the spring I planted about 40 acres of corn and wheat at Kanab Creek and worked on a dam and ditch with J.J. Esplin, Boyd Stuart, and Jim Carpenter. The dam was about 1 mi. north of our place. That summer I took a load of wool to Elsinore for Alvin Heaton. Arthur went with me, then he went on to the Jubilee in Salt Lake City. In the fall Father bought the old Orderville thresher for grain at Kanab Creek but the chipmunks and porcupines got most of it. I worked hard on this farm for three years but didn't get much. In the winter or 1897-98 I went to school again and did janitor work. March 7 (1898?) I received my Patriarchal Blessing by Thomas Chamberlain, worked on the farm again in the summer. In the fall I helped Ed. Carroll cutting grain, and did his chores in the winter. In 1898-99, boarding at C. N. Carroll's at the second house 1 mi. southwest of town, I did janitor work and cut the wood for Edward to make the fire in the morning. Then I looked after it when I came to school. I quit school early, put crops in, and in June I went to the head of Duck Creek to herd for the Esplin Brothers, about 3,000 head of drys at $1.00 per day. The timber was very thick. I laid my gun down to herd some sheep. It being cloudy, I couldn't find the place I put it. I marked the place as well as I could. The Weathers (male sheep) were sold soon. I got my brothers and sisters to take an outing. We went to the place and scattered out and weren't long finding it. We saw the breathing spring at Duck Lake as it was low and the spring was in sight. A little later I took a bunch of ewes and lambs to herd for 4 months. Out of the $150.00, I put $100.00 in the Orderville Co-op, $15 for tithing, $10 for Leonard on his mission. The rest went for a watch and clothes. I was now 21 years old. In the fall I bought the old dining hall of E. Stevens and Wm. Covington for a dance hall. That winter I ran the hall, hired Uncle Robert Brown to play. I managed, called, and played some to rest him. In the spring, April, the people of Orderville decided to build a dance hall to celebrate the silver anniversary of the "United Order". They called for volunteers to go to the mill and cut logs and haul them for the lumber. I went the next morning. In June I went to Jim Barnhurst's shingle mill to help cut shingles. I helped on the hall until it was finished. I put $100 on it and turned $30 to Alfred Meeks on a saddle. We had a very good time at the reunion. That fall Charles and I decided to put a front on the lean-to for Mother. Charles went to herd for Heber Meeks to get money for nails and shingles while I hauled lumber and put up four rooms. I made the doors and window frames and had the house ready for Mother to move into except for the fireplace, by September. Then I took Charles's place at the herd and stayed until Leonard came home from his mission at Christmas. I stayed home two weeks. I got Leonard to make a double fireplace for Mother. Then I went back to herd until spring. When I came home, I settled everything and had the satisfaction of seeing Mother in her new home with enough room. We had 2 rooms downstairs and 2 rooms upstairs. We boys had the west upstairs and the girls the east. I was now 22 and soon 23. I came home and stayed awhile and then went to the dry herd for Edward Carroll. He sold the Weathers in July so I came home again. I herded for about 2 months at North Fork for Homer Foote. He was looking after James Smith's sheep while Jim was on a mission. Oct. 1, 1901: When I came home, Charles and I took over Fred Heaton's contract with Grandmother Brown. We paid 10 lambs per 100 and 2 lbs. of wool a head a year. It sure seemed good to be running our own business instead of hiring out all the time. We had quite an experience but it was good. We only had about 1,300 head and Fred Heaton had made the old stock good with 300 lambs more than regular. But we made wages that year. Oct. 1, 1902, when the year was up I decided to go to school at Cedar City and Charles ran the sheep 2 more years. I was a little late so had to study hard to catch up, but Howard R. Driggs, a second cousin, helped me out. He was an exceptional teacher. Principal N. T. Porter was another. Israel Esplin went the same time I did; his father took us over. The latter part of May, when school let out, I went to Salt Lake City with H. Driggs. We saw Teddy Roosevelt in Salt Lake City with his Rough Riders. I went on to Shelly, Idaho, to see Leonard. I worked on a farm near Goshen at $1.50 a day for a while, then went to Idaho Falls to work in a sugar factory at $2.50 a day. So much meat and so little fruit, my stomach began to bother me and my tongue got sore so I came home. I was ordained an Elder Oct. 18, 1903, by Father. I helped Wm. Esplin at East Fork for a few weeks then we went to Cedar City to the B. N. School. We were 7 weeks late. Edward Webb and I batched it, staying at Isaac Parry's. The school was very good. I broke three horses for Parry during the winter. I went to Idaho again before school was out. I took an engineering course in the International Corresponding School, Scranton, Penn. I worked in the beet fields at $1.50 a day and studied an hour or two each day. I soon made $3.00 a day by working 14 hours, but it made my tongue sore again. I went to Preston in July with Marion Esplin to see Dr. Allen Cutler. He sent me to see Dr. Allen in Salt Lake City. He gave me a pencil with a white streak inside which did much good. On my way home I stopped in Fairview and Manti. July 13, 1904, I received by endowments and went through for two more. I came home and studied my corresponding course. I stayed with Mother, got the wood, herded for Dave Esplin one month in Sept. 1904. I studied my engineering course most of the time the next year. In August, 1905, Uncle Robert and I went to Tropic to visit Aunt Malissa and some of Father's brothers and sisters, Almira, Phoebe, Orland, and Lavica. There I met Eliza Allen, who later became my wife. She came back to Hatch with us to stay with her sister Sarah, and we started to correspond. When we decided to get married, we went with Jessie and Sarah to Koosharem to teach school, then we came on to Manti to the Manti Temple by team. We were married there on Oct. 11, 1905. I had Fox and I got Pace, a bay mare from Edward Carroll, to go with him. I bought a one-horse buggy from Uncle Robert for $50.00 and an iron gray horse of Jos. Stevens, a fine buggy horse. I made several trips with him that summer to different places. On Oct. 11, 1905, Pres. Joseph F. Smith came through Orderville. The Sunday School lined up on each side of the street and sang, "We Thank Thee, O God For a Prophet". He held a meeting there and made a prophecy that we would have more rainfall and better times in the next 15 years. I neglected to mention that Mother was right with us when we were married, and Orville also. We had a nice trip. After our marriage, I hauled wood with this team, Pace and Fox, that fall. We lived in Mother's front room the first winter, and I studied my I. C. S. correspondence. I sold my horse to Alfred Meeks and the buggy for a cow. I started to herd for M. A. Holgate. We were getting anxious for a house of our own, so I bought a lot by a creek in the southeast part of town of J. W. Heaton for $300. He moved to Alton, a town just being settled. Eliza came to the herd in Brushy Cove while we were lambing and went back with ten we marked. We took the sheep on the reserve the 1st of July at the head of Strawberry. One day a cougar was lying behind a log in head of my sheep. As I was going around the herd, he finally jumped and ran, and was soon out of sight in the thick timber. A little later a grizzly bear got in the herd about daylight and carried off a lamb. I saw the sheep running, hurried around there, and tracked him for about 200 yds. to where he had eaten all but the head and legs but did not get sight of him. Myron came up in a few days and I went home. I was ordained a Seventy Sept. 6, 1906 by Hyrum M. Smith. Two days later our first girl, Zola, was born, (Sept. 8. 1906). Mother Allen came over from Tropic and stayed with us awhile. That fall the people of Orderville decided to put in a water system. As I was studying it I was doubly interested. Alvin Porter and I surveyed the town and the live form of the spring. In March, 1906, a number of teams started over the divide in the deep snow for freight, (pipe). One day we only made 4 miles in the snow. H. W. Esplin and I went to Salt Lake City to order the pipe and fixtures. I could not get him to get any air vents although he did get 2-inch pipe for the spring to the cistern. When we got home we started to lay pipe at the spring. We had water with us all the way til we started up the ledge into the cistern. We turned the whole stream in about 4:00 PM. We knew it would not take long to fill the pipe but no water came over. Some said the cistern was higher than the spring. The next day there was still no water running into the cistern and H. W. Esplin came to me in Isaac Robertson's blacksmith shop and asked what to do. I said, "Drill holes in the high places and then put plugs in." He said "All right, go ahead." I borrowed a drill and tap and started up the line. A number of men were interested and followed. I drilled holes in four high places, beginning at the upper end of the line, drilling, threading, and putting in plugs as we came down. When I drilled the last hole the pressure was so great the air came out with such force it blew my hat in the air and almost strangled me. When I put the last plug in over the ledge into the cistern, the water ran. The people at the cistern gave a yell. Everyone was tickled. I had won the confidence of the people of Orderville, that we could get something out of the books. I stayed on the job til it was finished and put most of the taps in. I put one in my house and one in my corral. Just before Christmas I went to the herd for George Esplin at $50.00 per month. John C. Heaton was rustling most of the time. He had a small mare and ran down mustangs. I came home in the spring and put in a garden. That summer I went to Hatch where the State was putting in a dam for a reservoir. I worked laying riprap. When Eliza came from Tropic we boarded ourselves. Later I put up some stables and large cedar posts, and built a barn over them for James Barnhurst. In August I helped survey on Panguitch bench with Clyen Smith, and also at Junction Reservoir. I passed my course in surveying. I herded for George Esplin again this winter. He was moving camp. We went into Toweep while there. In Feb. George herded the sheep while Israel Esplin and I went down to the water in the Grand Canyon at the mouth of Toweep. Heber Covington and Tom Healy started with us but the trail was so far and steep, they stayed and we went on. The ledges there were about 4,000 feet high, almost perpendicular. I had quite an experience with Joseph Jorgensen after Charles went in. In April Charles left for his mission to the Central States. They sent a man out to take my place, but I didn't get to see him before he left. I took a correspondence course in teaching and passed it also. I applied in Tropic for a school, and went to Tropic in the early summer. I put up a sawed log house for Father Allen, double dove tail. That winter I taught the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Having my tools, I did quite a lot of work making tables, etc. We lived in Jed Adair's house and I painted his store. In March, 3 Mar. 1909 Lila was born. Sister Eunice stayed with us. When school was out we moved back home. I herded drys for Carroll's awhile and went to Summer School in Salt Lake City. I got the school in Boulder, Colorado at Etna, $600 for 8 months. I came back home in the spring and leased Mother's 143 sheep to Jonathan Heaton. I was appointed County Surveyor by the County Commissioners. I went to Sink Valley to survey for Charles Pugh. We stopped at Alton at Ira Heaton's for dinner. Ira got me to take the school at Alton, all grades for 6 months at $65.00 per month. Eliza came to Alton and we boarded at Ira's. She went back home where Etna was born Dec. 10, 1910. I went to Orderville weekends. We moved to Heaton's ranch in March, about 3 mi. north of Alton. I was set apart as the Supt. of Religion Classes in December, with Israel Esplin and Israel Hoyt as assistants. I had decided to settle in the north but when I came home for Etna, I felt like Southern Utah was the place form me. I bought a team and outfit from Joseph Jorgensen for $200.00 and I took a load of wool to Marysvale in June. When I got back I moved on a homestead on the west side of town. We put up a tent in a grove of large oaks and called it "Oak Grove Farm". I filed on this homestead about the 15th of June, 1911. It took in a strip about 200 long and 220 wide of the west lots. I traded this lot to the Heaton's for a lot 3 blocks and 5 shares of water. I sold my lot south side of the creek to Garling Spencer and traded the house to him for another, which I moved to Alton on my homestead. I taught school again; while out at night and on Saturdays I broke up land and fenced about 20 acres to raise crops. I raised some corn but it got froze the 2nd of Sept. We hauled our culinary water from a spring 1/2 mile from home. I made $390.00 teaching. I bought a transit and outfit for $260.00 and a second-hand range for $25.00. During the summer I surveyed enough, a few days at a time, to pay for my transit. In November I was elected County surveyor and through my efforts, D. D. Rust was elected county Superintendent of Schools. I was much interested in the election of Woodrow Wilson, Pres. of the United States in 1912. In Dec. I was elected Trustee in Alton and chosen Chairman. We hired a Mr. Bert to teach all the grades. I put the deeds in books and other things. There was a heavy snowfall that winter, and Mar. 16, 1913, our first son, Allen, was born. I did much hard work the next 10 years to clear land of oaks and break it up for crops. I raised a crop of wheat and oats, surveyed a few days at a time in between, helped get up hay on shares for Hinton Siler and Jonathan Heaton. We now had a team, 2 cows, and feed of our own, as well as our bread. D. D. Rust helped us get our school divided and we hired Frank Little and his wife Bessie to teach. I had to buy a sled from J. Heaton to haul my wood. I bought lumber and put up a granary, fenced off a stockyard, and made a corral. In January the Stake President call the Seventies on a Stake Mission for the month. Israel Esplin and I were partners in Kanab with 2 more pair. We had quite an experience laboring with those that had grown cold or had a grudge against someone. We succeeded in getting some of them to read "Voice of Intariable" in the Era. John Cram sure enjoyed it. We were released Feb. 1, 1914. The next summer the Kane Co. school was consolidated. I was chosen one of the Board of Kane Co. School District. That next summer I worked on the farm and did some surveying. Kane Co. School District hired Alma and Lula Wilson through me to teach our school in Alton. Heavy snow fell again. I made more trips to Kanab to attend Board meetings. During one of these blizzards Wilma was born (19 Feb. 1915). I leased a sulky plow of J. W. Heaton's. This year at Glendale I bought my first new harness for $56.00. I took Mother to Hinckley. I started our water system, laid pipe from the spring to the cistern. Mr. Welsh and Lula Wilson were hired to teach. I took many trips to Kanab to attend Board meetings. In June 1916 I received the weather bureau job. We moved to the meadow awhile to keep our children. Zola, Lila, Allen, and Wilma had the whooping cough while there. I finished putting our water system in with a cost of $300.00 for each family. I leased Mother's share, 700, to Jonathan Heaton. I secured the contracts of Burton Rust and Bessie Esplin to teach school. I was released from the Board. The county was divided into districts, 3 in Kanab and 2 outside. John Findlay was chosen in Kanab. I built a barn. The World War began Aug. 4 1914. It was getting so severe it seemed we could not keep out of it. I sent a petition to Pres. Wilson to keep our ships and supplies out of the war zones. It was the only way to remain neutral, but profiteers had to have their way. The Luction was sunk and war declared. Ellis Allen, Eliza'a brother, went to Camp Louis 3 days after war was declared. Charles Ellis was born April 9, 1916, my brother Charles Robert's birthday. I took Zola with us and brought a load of cement for the cistern. We had 5 pretty good cows to milk so we moved to the meadow again to make more butter and not drive the cows so far to pasture. In June our bally mare, Bell, had a bally faced colt. She was so tame and came to the tent that we stretched. Allen, 4 years old, named her Camp. In September I sold this 30 acres to Israel Hoyt for $350. I took a gray mare, Puss, for $165, a wagon for $85, and a note for $100. Oct. 20th I bought a new sulky plow from J. C. Carpenter in Glendale. I broke up a lot of land this fall and raised 290 bushels of oats on 5 acres, and the next spring (1918) and summer. I had been doing Mother's business with the sheep for 8 years, leasing them to Jonathan Heaton. Mother was living in Idaho. Edward and Solomon Herbert got Mother to let them lease the sheep and take them to Idaho. So Oct. 1, the time for Jonathan to give them up, Mother and Sol came down to receive them but were not prepared to take them up to Idaho, so Mother asked me to go in with them and run them here. I told her if I did we better get 23 acres of land (for sale) of J. C. Heaton's. So she bought it for 200 head and we received 940 head. We picked 20 head out to raise rams ourselves. Sol and Mother went back and I got Thomas Healy to take them for the winter. I bought rams, took care of them, and took them to his herd in Dec. 1918. I leased 672 head. The flu was raging during the war and Jan. 15, Sarah, Eliza's sister, died. Two days later our Sarah was born, Jan. 17, 1919. I was appointed Notary Public by Gov.. Bamberger on Apr. 19, 1919. I took Allen with me to Geels (Goulds) to receive the sheep and get them sheared April 20, 1919. Jos. Hardy went to the herd. We were nearly back when Edward came to us at the old shearing corral at Clay Flat. He said Eliza had the flu, so I came on home that night. I left Allen at the herd with Edward. I found her very low. We had a very hard time to save her. I came down in about three days. The children were better but Eliza had a backset (setback) being up with them when she was sick. Zola, aged 9, was the oldest but we got by someway, although I was dizzy all summer on account of having to go to the sheep before I was over it. Edward went home as soon as he got here with the sheep and Joe Hardy quit. Orville herded but I had to hunt sheep most of the time. As we let the sheep run on the farm, my crops were almost a failure. Edward and Sol drew out and I was left alone with the sheep, so I decided not to try running the farm and sheep too. In August I made a trip to Idaho to see the folks. I leased Mother's sheep to J. B. Heaton Oct. 1st. Ellis Allen had returned from the war. He came over Oct. 16. I filed on 480 acres enlarged not allowed. Nov. 1st I filed again. I did more surveying again this summer. I took Allen to North Fork with me. For about 2 weeks in July and August we surveyed for Charles Esplin. I received $66 and Jake Smith received $25. J. B. Heaton rented 755 head of sheep. I sold my ram to Oscar Robinson for $125. I received $60 for my wool in June, 1925. At Oct. Conference (1925) President Grant asked for volunteers, experienced men for short term missions, 6 months. When Charles Pugh was in Alton Sunday he told about it. When we came home I was telling Eliza about it. Zola said, "Papa, why don't you go?" I said, "Who would look after things?" Eliza was sitting by the window and after some mediation she said, "You better go, Will." Said I, "Do you mean it?" Said she, "Yes." So I began some very serious thinking. That night I went and offered myself as a volunteer to Bishop J. B. Heaton. On Oct. 24th I went to Panguitch. Examined by the doctor, I got my teeth, upper front. I received my call to go to the Central States on a mission Nov. 25, 1925. Dec. 8th I answered that call. Nov. 14 I left home with Eliza, Lucy and Iris to go to Tropic with James Bennett. Nov. 15 Went to Panguitch and Eliza and children went back. Nov. 16 Came to Manti to see Mother and Father. Nov. 17 Went to Sterling to see Amy and family. Nov. 18 Came to Fairview to see relatives. Nov. 19 Arrived in Salt Lake City. Nov. 20 Followed the program in the mission home. Nov. 25 Was set apart by Charles H. Hart. Left about 4:00 P.M. on the D. and R. G. Nov. 26 Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, arrived in Denver 9:40 P.M. Nov. 27 Slept in a berth, arrived at Independence about 11:00 P.M. Nov. 28 Elder Hilton and I took a street car to Kansas City, then up to Topeka. Nov. 29 Visited Sunday School and Meeting, was called on to speak. Nov. 30 Started work as a missionary. Dec. 1 Elder Lillywhite and I went to Quenemo. 1926 Mar. 27 Attended Conference at Independence Mar. 28 Attended Conference at Independence Mar. 29 Left for home on the U. P. at 6:15 P.M. Kansas City, and traveled all night. Met Edward at 11:25, March 30 in Denver. Stayed with him until 1:00 P.M. Mar. 30 Traveled all night, stayed in Ogden. Apr. 2 Saw Edward's wife, Stella. Went to Salt Lake City in the evening. Apr. 3 Reported at the Mission Home to Secretary. Met Mother and Eliza with our baby, Iris. Apr. 4,5,6, Attended Conference. Left for Manti at 4:09; stayed at Mother's Apr. 7 Visited Aunt Melissa and Uncle Isaac. Apr. 8 Left for home on the train to Marysvale. Apr. 9 We rode with the mail carrier in truck. Harold Heaton brought us on from the gravel. Arrived home at 13:30 P.M. Other than my crops, my income was $231.90. $50.00 of this came from the sheep. I traded a few head for a typewriter. I was appointed a Notary Public for the State of Utah by Gov. Dern. I filed on 80 acres in Sec. 14. I did more surveying. I made final proof on 240 acres in Sec. 11 and 15, same type and range. $25 may returns for wool and feed. Wool was $150. I gave Joseph Palmer $299 in sheep and cows for 22.58 acres land joining my homestead north of the N. E. Forty. Received herding drys $213. I received pat. on the 240 acres. In May I received $148 for wool on my feed sheep, about 70 head. I received $382 from Brooksby brothers for lambing on my ground. Sold weathering lambs $54. My expenses with the sheep were very high. I sent $200 to mother. Paid $22 per ton of hay to M. E. Roundy. Oct.--Dec. 1928: Paid $25 tithing, herding for Brooksby Bros. about 3 mi: put my sheep in their herd during winter. 1929: In May I received $206 from Brooksby Bros. on the herding. Did more surveying. Bought a mower for $101, a separator for $100. Paid tithing $48 for my income for 1929. Was $1,120 but expenses were very high again. Taxes $70.87. Gambling on Wall Street and everyone running wild in speculation and debt caused a great drop in prices and starting of the greatest depression we have known. My income was about $226 cash and my taxes were $61.64, expenses high. Paid $16 tithing. 1931: I made a plan to build a 7-room house on lot 3, block 3, plot A Alton townsite, deeded to Eliza. Our homestead had some good trees on it so we bargained to haul the logs to George Bybee's mill for lumber. Allen and I cut some of them, I hired Tom James to cut, Roy Robertson to help haul, and Wm. Lamb's team for Allen to help haul with. We hauled some in Dec. but more in Jan. and Feb. We hauled logs that scaled 15,000 feet, $10 per thousand. We let him have enough meat and potatoes and oats to purchase flooring. My cash income was very low again, $254. I made an inventory of my farm to comply with the State Law on income tax. I couldn't pay my taxes. Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected on a plan for the government to help people that were out of employment and necessities of life. 1932: The depression kept getting worse; we had to give up the plan to build on the lot, but instead put up a lean-to on the homestead. We put sawdust in the walls. I only received $32 for wool. My income cash only $246. Couldn't pay my taxes again. In May, Eliza went to the Clark Clinic in Provo. I sent to Gov. Dern $500 for another Notary appointment, which I received. I couldn't pay my taxes again in 1933. My tithing, Eliza, Lucy, Iris, and June had part of this. In Oct. I went to Salt Lake City with Junius Heaton to see a skin doctor as my eczema was bad. While riding, one of Merle's horses began to buck. I tried to stop the horse and hold the transit, but somehow it got between me and the saddle horn and broke a leveling screw on it and my breast bone, also hurt my back. I couldn't get my breath for quite a while. Merle brought me home, gave me money, $64 to send my transit to Gurley factory to get it fixed. I couldn't do much after that. About Dec. 23rd I went with Max Cox to see Mother in Manti. She was very low. Mrs. Hoyt was staying with her, giving her good care, but no housekeeper. Mother seemed to improve each day after I got there. 1934: January 2, I started to write incidents in my life. Came back the latter part of Jan. In May I bought a range of Savella Strong for $55. Went to (Dr.) Sargent here in Alton to see if he could find out what was the matter as gas on my bowels was giving me so much pain. Hadn't ceased for 24 hours. As he went over my back and hit the right spot the gas began to move and I felt better for awhile. I was foreman of the Flood Control Project. My income was very low, but I paid the taxes on the lower field, but couldn't pay the rest. The government bought 8 head of cattle to save them from starving, as we had a drought. As I was not very well, no income during the winter, I went on relief in Dec. 1935. In Jan. received check FERA $22.50. In April was appointed foremen on the flood control. In June I went to the Clark Clinic in Provo in a truck with George Adair, a trucker. Dr. Garn Clark took 4 pictures of my bowels. Found my stomach good but the junction of the small intestines very small. He said I had been hurt sometime. One picture showed the 1st joint above the hip and the 2nd above that one very much out of alignment and pressed together on one side. One on one side and one on the other. He told me to use Mineral Oil and not to eat too much roughage as the opening between the small and large intestines was so small. I went to Dr. Sargent in Cedar in September. He gave me another adjustment and press {and press} and massaged and exercised my back to help the cushions between the joints to thicken so the bones of the joints would not press on the nerves. He said the pressing of the nerve was what made the intestine shrink. He said there were other joints out too, but not so bad. I sold my sheep in Sept. for $259.30, paid on taxes. Nov. 28th I went to Manti with Lynn Heaton on Thanksgiving Day to see Mother. Stayed 2 days and came back with Lynn. I told Mother I would come in Feb. and stay a month. In the early part of Dec. I went to Hurricane with Ben Wilson. Visited with them a week and went on to Leeds with Isaac Stalks to see and Lila and family, also Wilma and Glen Beal, her husband. I saw a number of vineyards of grapes that looked like they hadn't been gathered. They were frozen but were still good to eat. Junius Heaton came along on his way to Alton. I was going to come home with him when Floris saw him and borrowed his spare tire, so he could bring his car. I stopped and came with Floris and got home about midnight. Allen ran the farm about half a year from Nov. to July. I ran it the first of the year. I paid him $40 for what he had done. 1936: I rode to Manti with George Adair about the last of Jan. Told Mother I'd kept my word. I felt that this would be the last time I would have a nice long talk with her. Eunice and Sol were taking care of her. We talked about old times in our childhood days and I wrote more of my life. Mother told us incidents in her life. She had some of them written after. About the last of Feb. George and Etna came home to make us a visit. The took Eliza to Tropic to see Zola and to Leeds to see Lila and Wilma and to show us their big boy, 2 years old. As George had to get back to Kansas soon to keep his job, Etna and Marion stayed. He and Eliza and Allen came to Manti. George went on, and Eliza, Allen and I came home. In March I bought George's car for $60. In June I received $600 from R. J. Palmer on land. I went to Cedar with Arthur Cox, bought a car of Petty Motor, Sedan Ford V-8. We went to Tropic with our car and brought Zola and children back over to visit. June 24th we went to Manti to the Cox Reunion. Eliza, Zola and children, Lucy, Iris and June went with me. I baptized Amy's girls, Helen and June for themselves on my birthday. June 25 excursion for Cox reunion. Baptized our three girls for 60, Elva and Helen Day, and 2 boys for 199 dead. Eliza and I were sealed for 40 dead. Aug. 22 Eliza, Lucy, Iris, June and I went to Manti again to the Brown Reunion. I was appointed about this time, as work director of the Church Security Plan. On Oct. 8 we went to Cedar, traded our car in on a new one. Nov. 23 we went to Tropic to get Father Allen. 24th we went to the Golden Wedding at Orderville of Erastus and Mary Allen. Father stayed there and Eliza and I came home in the evening. Nov. 26th after Thanksgiving dinner, Clyde, Charles, Bill Swapp and I started for Leeds. Picked up Uncle Ross, John Allen. Ellis Allen got out at Clear Creek, the others came to Orderville. We stayed at Leeds with Lila. Some of us went to Silver Reef and slept at Wilma's. Next morning we started for Boulder Dam. Bill got out at St. George. We arrived at Boulder Dam in the afternoon. It was a beautiful sight, water pouring out of four spouts and falling into the river in sprays. We went down the elevator to the power house. It was a gigantic place. The master mind that saw the whole thing in his mind before it was started. We drove to the south side of the canyon on the dam and looked down in at a motor boat sailing down the river. Although the lake made by the dam is only half full, it is the largest artificial lake in the world. We went to a picture show in Boulder City and saw the building of the Dam. We came back to the Muddy Creek and camped for the night. Nov. 25 we went to Overton, St. Thomas and saw the relics got from the lost city. Came through the tunnel while they were working. They are putting a steel frame and cementing the tunnel to make it safer. Allen took Grandpa back to Tropic. Lila, V. and family came to visit us Christmas. It snowed while they were here. We had a pretty good year. I paid my taxes $65.53 and $102.16 tithing. Dec. 29 I took her and family back. I took Ina and Wilford Heaton to Kanab to the doctor. Road slick and I ran off the road. It was dark before we left Orderville to go to Leeds. Lila and family, Lucy and Iris stayed at Sara's until I came then we went on to Leeds that night, Dec. 30. We visited with Glen and Wilma until noon, went to Anderson's ranch near Pintura, visited with Aunt Malissa an hour, then came on home. Had a leak in the tire so we stopped in Springdale and got it fixed. About sundown when we left there, we could see the clouds looked like storming on top them. They were working on the tunnel when we went through again. It is a mile through. When we got through the snow was falling fast. We had to buck snow all the way to the Y, some of the way 6 inches deep. The snow plow was working to keep it clear. It was late when we got to Orderville, but we came on without much trouble. Ina and Wilford came back with us. We couldn't get the car past the Post Office so we had to leave it there in the snow. Next morning it was snowed in until we could hardly see it. About 3 1/2 feet of snow on the level. This year we paid our fast offerings and the boys paid their own. We put some in the Church Security Plan. Clive and Zola moved over and decided to rent the farm for one third and I feed the team. I let them have my old grainery. 1937: Jan 1st saw a world white with snow around Alton. On the 6th I received a check from the government, $33.45 for soil improvement. I hurt my back shoveling snow and breaking snow trails so I started writing again. I cut a lot of green pine and oaks during Feb. About March 4th I started to canvas and sell Davis Paint, and Clive rented the farm for one third and I furnished the seed and the team as well as fed it. Took hair treatment for my eczema. I took Eliza to St. George to a temple excursion in my car. The next day I went with Bp. Quimby Roundy to Las Vegas to a welfare meeting. We stayed there that night. We took a boat ride the next morning up Lake Mead for about 40 miles. I took back exercises for my eczema as well as diet. The exercise seemed to be helping by back to straighten up as well as easier to bend. In June we went to LaVerkin for a load of cherries from Isaac Stocks. I got Allen to help build a garage and granary, also a small work bench made out of 2" X 4"s laid flat. I had a metal roof put on it, a good plank floor then boards put on top. It is a good garage. I took Zola to the doctor in Provo the latter part of June. Iris went with me. July 3, I took Iris to see Edward and family and stayed there that night. The next morning we went up Emigration Canyon to eat breakfast at sunrise. We went around the highway on the way around the highway on the way around the hill from the University to State Capitol. We could see the city good. I was ward work director this year. I over-seen putting corn and potatoes in the tithing lot for welfare project. My garage was finished in July and August we went to Orderville to Aunt Phelina's funeral. Uncle Walter brought Eunice down, but she got very sick eating an apple. She was taken to the hospital in Kanab. The next day Eliza and the girls went to Manti with me to take Eunice. She was better when we left. We ate dinner with Lydia Adair in Gunnison on our way back. Aug. 28 we went to Brown Reunion, Lucy, Iris and June. We were gone three days. Sept. 16 I took Lauren Roundy and family to Provo to put their children in school. Lauren and I went to Salt Lake to see an attorney and the state engineer about Birch Spring. We saw A. E. Bowen about our trouble with Dunk Findlay cutting pipe, etc. We had a blowout just before going into the city. When Clive threshed the grain, we only had 76 bushel for both of us, it being so dry. I got some fall rye and put in 3 1/2 acres in Oct. I decided to run the farm. We held Bp. Roundy's funeral Oct. 3. He was sure a good bishop. He made showing fixing up around the hall. A lot of the wood I cut green in the winter got dry and good to burn. Dec. 15 went to Amy's funeral at Sterling and saw the rest of Mother's children, my brothers and sisters. 1938: Cut a lot of green wood Jan. and Feb. and March. In January I was chosen chairman of committee on dairying at the county planning board. June Heaton and I canvassed the Valley and Alton to see if we could get enough milk to run a cheese factory. There wasn't enough, but we found out there was a lot of butter being shipped into the county, as well as cheese so it would pay us to get a creamery and cheese factory. We went to a welfare meeting in St. George. In March I studied a book on the B. of M. by J. M. Sjodhal. I went to Houserock Valley (a very noted place of the Order) to survey a spring for William Brown. I hauled quite a lot of manure from Stanley Glover's corral as well as my own in April. I listened to conference news over the radio at George Heaton's. I planted my grain approximately in May. Saw about the corn for the ward project. May 16 planted field corn and potatoes on the 23rd, and summer followed (fallowed) about 6 acres in the lower field. In June I took Lucy and Iris and we went to the "Brown Reunion," and stayed for the Jubilee celebration of the Manti Temple. I worked in the temple and came home on the 19th. I started to cut hay on the 21st, earlier than common. Six of us went to Kanab Court as witnesses on the Birch Spring. Only one witness was called; about 2 hours and they were ready to compromise. On the 17th of August Charles took his mother and Clive's family to Tropic on a visit. While there, he saw where something was spilled and running out at the door. He struck a match and it being gas, a fire was ignited inside. Before it could be extinguished, it burned the top out, all upholstery inside, and all the windows, excepting the door that was open. We put a top on and fixed the seats soon, but just put one thing at a time as we could afford it. We had to put in a new windshield. I gathered the crops in September, very light. I paid $5.00 fast offerings, 1 mutton and $25.00 tithing, about 40 bu. grain, but the cows did will. Got as high as 48 lbs. a milking. I had 4 cows most of the time and part 6. My team worked about $60.00 on the town sponsor. We had quite a few potatoes, my land was in better shape. 1939: I cut a lot of green oak and pine again in January and February. In March I went to Moccasin to survey for Heaton Brothers. I run my farm again, put it in on the conservation plan. I planted the grain the last of April and forepart of May. Although the cows did so well, they got garget from one we milked of Roy Robertson. So April 30th, I sold two for beef as instructed by the State Veterinarian for $70.00. A little later 2 more got it, and I sold it (them) for beef, so we were left almost without a cow. We had a jersey heifer and I bought Old Blocky from Allen. I let him have a few acres of land, and I bought a colt, $40.00. I let my team on the sponsor work again. I summered (summer) fallowed 6 acres in the lower field, cut hay early again June 24th. In June and July I put in a new sink and fixed the house for paint. I got Clive to paint it and did some surveying in June and July and August and September. Got up the crops, but so little, 32 bu. grain. I got more surveying jobs than I had for some years. Nov. 14th I was chosen chairman of Community Commissioner for Alton and alternate for Kane County. In October, November, and December we went pinenut hunting quite often and gathered a lot of nuts. Father Allen came here very sick in the fall and stayed with us for about 3 months. He sure enjoyed the nuts. The 30th of Nov. I went to Provo with David Sorensen and stayed with Lila and Family. The next morning I went to Salt Lake City to convention. While there, I saw Heber Meeks about getting on as a census taker. I came back to Provo on the train and David took Lucy and I from there home. Allen and Charles put new roofing on the house this fall. Dec. 3rd Fox stepped on my foot with his shod foot and must have cracked it; for it was lame for months. Got my first radio 22nd of December. 1940: In January Allen and Clive helped me take out the old and put in new sleepers and floor in the front room and wainscoating in the kitchen. In Feb., I received my first check for looking after the sheltered rain gauge, $30.00, $10.00 per month, for the winter months and $5.00 for summer. This was the last quarter of 1939. Allen rented the farm for 1940 for 2/3 hay and he fed the horses and 1/2 of the other and I furnished the seed. March 28, 29, and 30 I passed the examination for enumeration of the census. I passed 100% on the farm schedule. April 2nd started to work on the census in Mt. Carmel. It took about a week in each town, Mt. Carmel, Alton, Orderville, and Glendale. I put in 12 hours a day and sometimes over. I sent the last papers the 3rd of May. I went over the papers with Christy Anderson on the 25th and 26th of May. June 20th I received a check for $118.73. In May I did some surveying and in May and June put up a good warm chicken coop. I cut off the poison milk weed just before it bloomed. In July I started in earnest to get the milk weed cut off about every 10 days. I was elected one of the board of A.F.A. at the annual meeting. Allen was chairman of the board. We have had quite a time over our water at Birch because we didn't have a written agreement with A. D. Findlay. We had given him a tap on the line for the spring, but he did not go through with the filing, so we filed on it. While A. D. Findlay was still alive we piped a spring down into troughs for his sheep to drink to get them off the line. His son Dunk had some trouble with the ones looking after the line and he cut the pipe in 1937. That was when Lauren and I went to see the attorney. As the hearing was in our favor things seemed to begin to settle, but not final. In our first board meeting, July, 1940, I offered to see Merl and see if we couldn't agree. This the board appointed me to do. When I went to see him we agreed on about everything. He wanted our attorneys to fix up the agreement as he had paid his attorney. We thought that would be all right. Some of the milk weed started to die and quit coming until the rains came the latter part of August, then it started again. July 12 George Smith, Etna and family came from Junction City, Kansas, and gave us a surprise. He had a new car with the gear shift on the steering wheel. We went to Tropic to get Zola and family. Then George and Allen went to Leeds to get Wilma. V., Lila and family came Sunday morning about 5:00 O'clock. On the 14th Sarah, Afton and family came from Orderville. Charles brought Amy Esplin. Allen, Twila, Lucy, Iris, and June were here, so we had our family together for the first time since they were all born. We hope our little boy John was there with us, though we could not see him. We had our pictures taken, Charles and Amy had theirs taken with Ardeth and Avonell, which looked almost like twins. I hurt my shoulder getting off the bar where I did stunts I used to do easy. Alton had a homecoming on the 22nd, sports in the day and a dance at night. We saw lots of old timers. I saw Abbie, Elvira, Leonard, Charlotte, Maggie and Susie at Duck Creek celebration on the 24th. Leonard stayed with us that night and until noon the next day. Leonard wanted us to come to Idaho, and go with him to Yellowstone Park. Said he had some surveying around some of his land I might do; we therefore decided to go. Aug. 6th, we started for Idaho. We stopped with Lila and V. and family that night. We stopped with Orville and family in Idaho the next night. It was the first time I had driven a car to Idaho, and the first time Eliza had been there. We drove down to see Charles and Dora that night. Some of their children and two of Clarissa's were there. The next day we went to Leonard's place, the same place he had when I worked for him 35 years ago. We stayed at Charles's place most of the time we were in Idaho. Aug. 9th we went to Wolverene to survey. I saw Phoebe the first time since she was married and her family is about grown. Sunday 11th we went to a reunion in Blackfoot and saw many people who used to live in Southern Utah. We surveyed six days. Aug. 16th we went to a very nice place and camped just before going into Yellowstone Park. Charles and Dora took three of their girls in my car and came with us. Eliza and I rode in Leonard's car. Aug. 17th in the morning we entered Yellowstone National Park. We saw a lot of geysers, "Old faithful," Bears and a Fish hatchery with fish in almost every stage. We camped by Yellowstone Lake at night and had quite an experience in the evening. After most of us had retired, we had put the grub in the balt. A bear came along and gave the lock a slap and took some food out and then went away. Soon it came back and got a few loaves of bread. We got up and looked. We couldn't find a carton of butter Leonard had brought. Leonard came and followed where the bear had gone with a flashlight and found most of the butter O.K. Aug. 18th we stopped for breakfast at the south entrance of Yellowstone Park. On our way back we stopped at Jennie's lake in Teton National Park and had a nice boat ride around the lake at the foot of some of the peaks which were thousands of feet high, almost perpendicular. We followed the Snake River out of the Jackson Hole Country, and came to Ucom and stopped at Edward's awhile. We got back to Charles's place that night. Next day I got my car greased, the oil changed, and gathered some rye grass seed. Leonard gave me a bottle of mickle grass to sow. We stayed at Leonard's that night and started for home next morning. Aug. 20th: At Downey we went on the road that goes through Preston, Idaho and Logan, Utah. On our way up we went through Garland and Malad into Downey. We saw Ellis in Salt Lake City at the Veteran's Hospital, and stopped at Lila's again. While there we saw in the paper the account of the death of one of Lydia's grandsons who had been a sweet singer over the radio. We stayed there that night. Sarah Thurston came home with us from Idaho. We sure had a nice trip. When I got home I took the mud grip tires off my car and had them recapped. On the 11th of Sept. Eliza and I went to a High Priests outing at Moccasin. We took Nellie H. Robertson and Homer with us. Bp. Charles Anderson from Glendale. As I was secretary, I sent out 103 invitations to High Priests. Still kept shoveling milkweed. The Moccasin people had a big flood just a few days before. It covered most of the corn and hay in it's path, and left the sand 2 to 3 feet deep along the Apple tree rows, and covered the crops from 1 to 2 feet. In Nov. I cut the last milkweed. It snowed and froze up. I took the welfare corn to Moccasin to look over the damage. In Dec. I was elected Community Chairman for Alton and Ray Palmer the alternate. I surveyed the flood control wash at Moccasin on the 22nd of November. In Dec. we put the chickens in the new coop and I put a curve roof over the kitchen door. We have used over $70 to fix up this year. My income for looking after the weather, taking the census and surveying has been $354. The years 1939 and '40 will be remembered as fixing up our home. I made $522 surveying for the 2 years. We are very thankful for our health and improvements. I have been on the home missionary list ever since I came from my mission April 9, 1926. Iris and June are going to Orderville on the bus to get high school for which we are glad. -------------------------------------------------------------- EARLY SETTLER OF ALTON PASSES AWAY Funeral services were held Oct. 1st for William M. Cox, who died Sept. 29, 1943. Services were conducted by Bishop Herald (Harold) H. Heaton, singing Choir: "Oh, My Father." Prayer was by Marcellus Johnson, President of the High Priests. Ladies Trio: "Wanted on the Other Side," by Erma Baldwin, Delila and Florence Heaton. Speaker: Wm. J. Baird Sentiments: Charlotte Hoyt Speaker: M. E. Roundy Reading: "Promotion" by Pearl Cox (Niece) Speaker: Charles Cox (brother of William) Speaker: Bishop Heaton Song: (Choir) "Oh, It is Wonderful" Benediction: William Swapp He was born at Orderville June 25, 1878, the son of Delaun Mills and Susan Brown Cox. He spent most of his early years at Orderville but moved to Alton in 1910, and spent the remainder of his life there. He was an active member of the church all his life. Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Eliza Allen Cox, eight daughters, Zola Jolley, Lila Rappleye of Provo, Etna Smith and Lucy Ellis of Junction City, Kansas, Wilma Beal of Leeds, Sarah Hepworth of Orderville, Iris and June Cox of Alton. Two sons, Allen M. Cox of Provo and Charles Cox of Orderville. He has 20 grandchildren, 3 brothers and 3 sisters. --------------------------------------------------------------- PROMOTION by Pearl Cox He is given a diploma And he leaves the grades of earth, And marches up to Heaven, To prove that (what) he is worth. For death is but progression In the system of God's schools, So 'tis a fine promotion If he has observed life's rules. And if he's kept his first estate He is added on the more And if he's kept the second too, Has joy forever more. Progress must have needed change 'Tis the law of all the earth, We see the white haired man of age How different since his birth. And if man would became as God, He must go on through spheres, And learn whereby each thing is made, And lose his count of years. So tears go with the gracious rain, And sun dry up the eyes, Let peace find in the heart a rest, And soul for solace fly. Yes, let the soul to Heaven yearn, Where prayer may find his throne, And God awaits his saints to bless, And love them as his own. And thank the Lord for Heaven's link And that His Priesthood's power Doth find the souls forever more, And blessings on them shower. --------------------------------------------------------------- IN MEMORY OF BROTHER COX by Charlotte Hoyt His life's book now lies open, I turn the pages one by one, And my heart thrills with satisfaction, For crowns that he has won. Standing in letters of shining gold, Are the outstanding words of life's pen, He loved as Ben Adhem loved of old, Loved dearly his fellow men. He loved literature, music, and singing, Loved to teach and now thoughts gain, Loved the sound of children playing, Loved nature in sunshine and rain. He planted his crops with a prayer in his heart, Watched each tiny seed as it grew, Digging and working, doing his part, As the seasons fairly flew. He held high the two great commandments, Precious hours and days he did spend, One of God's most faithful servants, Always willing his ideas to lead. 'Twas hard for him when sickness came, And he could not active be, But we know he is happy in Heaven again, Because he lived for Eternity. --------------------------------------------------------------- William M. Cox, born June 25, 1878 at Orderville, Utah. Died Sept. 29, 1943. Eliza Olive Allen Cox, born July 27, 1888, Tropic, Utah - Zola C. Jolley, born Sept. 8 1906 - Lila C. Rappleye, born March 3, 1909 - Etna Eunice C. Smith, born Dec. 10, 1910 - Allen M. Cox, born March 16, 1913 - Wilma C. Beal, born Feb. 19, 1915 - Charles Mills Cox, born April 9, 1917 - Sara C. Hepworth, born Jan, 17, 1919 - John William Cox, born April 12, 1921, died - Lucy C. Ellis, born April 13, 1923 - Iris Rose C. Kinley, born June 1, 1925 - June C. Hepworth, born June 15, 1928 ------------------------------------------------------- Biography began Jan. 2, 1934. Continued Feb. 17, 1936, Jan. 8, 1937, finished to Dec. 31, 1940---Again Jan. 24, 1941. --------------------------------------------------------------- FOOTNOTES I have taken no liberties with editing, except spelling when I was sure. I own up to other mistakes if you find them but they are not intentional. Several eyes have proofread this document. () indicate what I think was really meant. In the case where I think an honest mistake was made I left it but put {} around it. The following notes clarify questions I asked Allen. 1. Allen M Cox said (20 Jun 1995) the 'meadow' is located Southeast of Alton, just South of Dee Roundy's fields on the West side of Kanab Creek. Before the creek became a big wash there was a meadow and William Mills Cox later sold it to Isreal Hoyt. 2. ibid. Geels was probably Goulds. It was on the Hurricane rim East of Hurricane. 3. I don't know if 'Intariable' is correct or not. --------------------------------------------------------------- Amipro\docs\coxwmmil.sam

Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: kdbulloch Created: 3 months ago Updated: 3 months ago

Allen M. Cox I, Allen M. Cox, was born March 16, 1913 in Alton, Kane County, Utah. The first son and fourth child of eight daughters and three sons born to William Mills and Eliza Olive Allen Cox. I was born in our home at the west edge of town on land my father had taken as a homestead. He farmed part of it, but most was grazing ground. When I was about three years old I went with my father so survey for Tait’s near Mt. Carmel. One evening about dark, while riding on Forrest Tait’s shoulders returning to camp we heard a cougar scream on the ledge above us. When I was five or six years I went to North Fork with my father to survey. While there I saw my first deer. A large buck. In the spring of 1919 when I was six years old, I sent with my father to the old Gould’s shearing corral on the rim east of Hurricane, Utah to get his mother’s sheep and bring them to a place a few miles south of Alton to lamb. Joseph Hardy from Orderville helped with the sheep. Before we arrived home we received word that the rest of the family had the flu. Father’s brother, Edward, took over the sheep for about a month and kept me with him. I was very homesick. We were where we could see Alton but I didn’t see any of my folks for more than a month. I started milking before I was six years old. As a boy, in the summer I spent many hours herding milk cows and our farm-flock of sheep and weeding corn and potatoes. All my schooling was in the Alton Elementary School 1st grade 1919-20teacher: Verna Firzgerald (Roundy) 2nd grade 1920-21teacher: Irene Haycock (Carpenter) 3rd grade 1021-22teacher: Carrie Agnes Backman 4th grade 1922-23teacher: Miriam Clayton (Robertson) 5th grade 1923-24teacher: Vilate Roundy (McAllister) 6th grade 1924-25teacher: Morsden Allred 7th grade 1925-26teacher: Kenneth Fechser 8th grade 1926-27teacher: Geneva Heaton (Pace) I graduated. 8th grade 1927-a short time in the fall to Karl Workman. Some class mates: Annie ParkerElora Roundy (Clark) Israel Vern HoytDelna Glover (Ivie) Merlin RoundyThelma Heaton (Hastings) Wayne H. RobertsonEmily Robertson In February of 1928 I rode horseback in Kanab Gulch with Jesse Palmer to take horses to winter pasture. We were gone eleven days. It was a new experience for me. For three years, sometime between 1925 and 1929, rodeos were held about one-half mile north of Alton. This was sponsored by some local men. They built a rodeo arena and also a dance floor by the water cistern called the “Twin Pine Pavilion”. The rodeo would last for three days and each night there would be fights or wrestles staged at the “Twin Pine Pavilion”, followed by a dance. This was a big attraction. Some of the contestants at the fights and wrestles were Delaun Heaton, George Nelson and Kenneth Young. One night I fought in a battle royal. This battle royal was with Preston Swapp and Allen Heaton each at about 145 lbs against James and Alma Heaton and myself each at about 110 lbs. We fought four two minutes rounds. For fighting this preliminary bout we were allowed to see the rest of the events. One year there was an areoplane that took passengers and had a parachute jumper. He jumped from the plane and broke his leg. He died later from the accident. During the winter of 1925-26 Father went on a short term, six month, mission to the Central States. He served in Kansas. As a boy I worked on our farm and did odd jobs for the neighbors such as milking cows, hauling hay, cutting corn, making fence, cutting posts and threshing grain. I always had a horse, as a boy, and enjoyed riding very much. I received the Aaronic Priesthood at age twelve and also registered as a Boy Scout. I eventually made the Star rank and received about twenty merit badges. I served as Assistant Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster and on the Scout Troop Committee for many years. Sometime between 1928 and 1930 we added some bedrooms to the house. I really enjoyed this work. In 1931 or 32 I attended a Cox family reunion at Flat Canyon, East of Fairview. I met quite a lot of relatives and enjoyed myself. June 19, 1933 I entered the Civilian Conservation Corps, commonly known as the C.C.C.’s. I was first stationed at Duck Creek in Camp F-16. There I worked on the Ranger Station and houses. Also on fences, road work at Cedar Breaks and on rodent control. There were about 200 men in each camp. In November we moved to St. George to Camp S-213. There we built rock dams on the Santa Clara Creek for flood control. I was released April 5, 1934. When I arrived home part of the family had the red measles. I was home a few days then went to the sheep herd in Johnson Canyon for Ray Palmer and Lloyd and George Heaton. About the last of May we brought the sheep on up to Alton. The day we arrived in town, I think May 29, we had a very bad hail storm. It killed a lot of lambs, ruined most of the crops and stripped the leaves from shrubs and the needles from the Pine and Cedar trees. The storm came from the South-west and that side of the trees were so bare they looked dead. On June 6, 1934 I went to work for the Geological Survey helping to put out a fire in a coal vein about 2 miles southeast of Alton. We worked there for about four months and then worked on a similar project at Coal Hill for about a month. Some time that fall I made my first trip to Salt Lake with Alma Jager. It was a fun time. At about age sixteen my father offered me a Building lot if I would clear about two acres of oaks in the field. It took me a couple of years along with my other work to get the job done. I finally ended up with the East half of Lot 3; Block 3; of Alton Townsite Surver. .85 of an Acre. About 1934 or 35 I built a 12x12 foot granary on it. I later sold it to Dee Roundy. During the winter of 1936-37 I built a 12x18 foot cabin on it which I used for a shop. Twila and I lived in it for the first three years of our marriage. In 1944 I sold it to W.J. (Bill) Smirl and he moved it to his coal mine 2 miles south of town. During the years 1934 to 1940 we had an Alton baseball and basketball team. Some of the time we played M-Men basketball. I enjoyed these sports very much and if there was anything going on I was usually involved. We played teams from Orderville, Glendale, Hatch, Tropic, Widstoe, Henrieville and Escalante. From 1935 to 1942 I sheared sheep each spring. Usually for four to six weeks. Some of those years I went out on the desert with a shearing crew. In early summer of 1936 I started working at Campbell’s sawmill in Main Canyon about six miles north-east of Alton. One Sunday in July there was a cloud burst in the canyon above the mill. It washed part of the mill more than a mile down the meadow at the Heaton ranch with two to three feet of mud which washed away several bridges that crossed Kanab Creek. We could hear the flood from town but no rain fell there. About the last of July of 1936 Lynn Heaton, Ernest Goulding and I took over a small sawmill in Wilson Canyon east of Hatch. In November we moved the mill to the North-west corner of Alton. I sold out to them later in the winter. In the early summer of 1937 I worked on the forest near Bryce Canyon cutting and peeling bug timber. On August 2, I went to Hurricane to work on the Heaton Threshing machine. We threshed beet seed first and then grain. We worked as far north as Hatch where we finished in November. In December that year I made my second trip into Kanab Gulch. This time with Zemira Palmer and Homer Robertson. We took horses to their winter pasture. We took our time, the weather was good and we had a pleasant trip. I worked some for sawmills in the winter cutting and hauling logs. June 3 of 1938 I went to Deer Spring Ranch and worked for A. M. Findlay for a month. On July 7, I took the bus to Junction City, Kansas where my sister, Etna, lived. While there I worked about two months on a tractor powered hay baler, then I helped my brother-in-law, George Smith, run a lunch counter. While I was there I made trips into Missouri, Arkansas and Nebraska. I stayed there until after Christmas, then came home on the bus. George and I were buying a car together and after I came home he decided not to keep it, so Charley drove it out to me and I finished paying for it. I took my first areoplane ride July 17, 1938. On February 5, 1939 I first went with Twila Campbell. That summer I worked at the Campbell sawmill for Milo Campbell. In July, Twila and I were talking about getting married. We were married November 4, 1939 in the St. George temple. In 1940 I started operating my father’s small farm which I did for three years. I also worked a little on the road and part time on the Johnson-Stevens sawmill. On July 1, 1940 I started operating a Horse-powered hay baler which I purchased later that year. I operated it for three years getting about two months work each year. The day after Thanksgiving in 1942 I went to Provo and started working for the George A. Fuller Company at the Geneva Steel Plant which was under construction. I worked there until Jan 4, 1943. I then went to work for Freyn Engineering Co. I worked as a carpenter. Twila and Margaret moved up to Orem and we purchased a small trailer to live in. We moved to Zola and Clive’s place and I walked to work most of the time. Twila had an appendectomy in February of 1943 and I had one in March. I moved Twila back to Alton about Christmas time and I went back to Orem and batched it. 1944 On April 4, I took a pre-induction physical for the Navy and passed it. On April 15, 1944 I quit my job, sold my trailer and moved back to Alton. I arranged to buy mother’s property, home and farm, and we moved in the house. I ran the farm and did odd jobs and September 1, I started working at the Smirl-Alton Coal Mine. I worked there until Jan. 22, 1946 when I hurt my back and had to quit. Nov. 4, 1945 I was sustained as Bishop of the Alton Ward and on November 11 I was ordained a High Priest and Bishop and set apart to preside over the Alton Ward. I was released Jan. 28, 1951. In May of 1946 I started cutting timber for Crofts Lumber Co. at Swains Creek and worked there about half of each year until July 1950. We worked from sometime in May until about November each year. In May 1949 I saw a herd of about 60 buffalo in House Rock Valley. In June of 1950 I sold our farm to Heaton Brothers and purchased a house from Israel Hoyt and took over the Post Office, which was in one room of the house. I retired October 10, 1975 after more than 25 years with the Postal Department. Dec 2, 1951 I had surgery for a herniated disc in my back. Along with being the Postmaster I did quite a few other jobs. Included in these were- Custodian at the Alton School for about eight years. Served on the Kane County Welfare Board for about 19 years. We had a small grocery store in one room for 12 years. Read Garkane light meters for 1 ½ years. Did quite a bit of shoe repairs and leather work. Installed a few bath outfits. Was Pipeline Repairman for the Alton System. Built a few chimney flues. Worked some at Roundy Brothers Sawmill. Did carpentry jobs both in Alton and Long Valley Worked a little at the Coal Mine. Mail Messenger more than 13 years. Worked as a carpenter for Valley Construction. Worked some on the road. Feb. 19, 1962 we started an extensive remodeling job on the Alton Chapel. I was in charge of it. I spent a lot of time there during the next four years. September 14, 1952 I was sustained as Alton Ward Clerk. I was released August 21, 1977. April 5, 1971 surgery for a double hernia in Kanab. Jan. 19, 1974 surgery for a hernia on the left side in Cedar City. March 21, 1975 surgery for a double hernia in Cedar City. April 9, 1975 a prostatectomy in Provo. In the fall of 1975 I made two trips to Coeur D’Alene. One to see my sister, Etna and the other for her funeral. In September of 1975 I purchased my mother’s home in Orderville and shortly after I began remodeling and adding on to it. April 12, 1977 we sold our home in Alton to Orval Palmer. We are to be out Dec. 1. November 20 I was sustained as an alternate High Counselor. December 3 we spent our first night in our Orderville home. I was an assistant Scoutmaster at about 18, which was the proper age, and later Scoutmaster at about 21. I helped teach a Sunday School class a little before I was married. After I moved back to Alton from Orem I taught a Melchizedek Priesthood class until I was called as Bishop. When I was first made Bishop we had a real manpower shortage due to World War Two, so I taught a priesthood class, a Sunday School Class, or an M.I.A. Class or all three most of the time. During the nearly 25 years as Ward Clerk I taught Priesthood Classes, M.I.A. Classes and Sunday School Classes. I taught the adult Sunday School class for more than eleven years. I attended Solemn Assembly in the S.L.C. Temple while I was Bishop and one in St. George while Ward Clerk. I have held one or more church positions in the ward since shortly after I was married. I have done one or more endowments in the following temples; St. George, Manti, Provo, Odgen and Salt Lake. Twila has been with me most of the time. We have also done initiatory work and sealing at the St. George Temple. We accompanied each of our five missionary sons on their first trip to the Temple prior to entering the Mission Home. Also two neighbor boys whose parents didn’t go with them. Allen M. and Twila C. Cox Family Margaret: Born Dec 11, 1941. Married June 30, 1959 to Dale Van Sorensen in St. George Temple. Joyce: Born Jan 7 1944. Married June 5, 1964 to Glenn Riley Johnson in St. George Temple. Melvin Allen: Born Jan 25, 1946. Married Sep 13, 1968 to Rachel Bradshaw in St. George Temple. Blane Orlan: Born Sep 7, 1948. Married July 20, 1974 to Karin Angelika Matzke in Alton. (divorced) Burton: Born Jan 21, 1950 Barton: Born Jan 21, 1950. Married Sep 28 to Marilee Evans in St. George Temple. Irene: Born July 20, 1953. Married Sep 12, 1975 to Karl Briggs in Las Vegas Nevada. Kenneth John: Born Dec 7, 1955. Dean William: Born Feb 7, 1960. Jay Charles: Born Jan 13, 1963. Lewis Kay: Born Oct 11, 1966. Back in my hospital bed, in the Utah Valley Hospital in Provo, Utah, following surgery, three of my sisters came to see me. They asked about my son who was serving a mission at the time. I told them that he was doing fine and that he and his companion were often invited to eat with members. A nurse, who was assigned to watch and check on me the first few hours following surgery, laughingly said, “I made the mistake of feeding two Mormon missionaries once.” I asked, “Was is a mistake?” She answered very seriously, “No, it wasn’t a mistake.” Then she told me this story. “I lived on the East Coast of the United States, was married, had two small children and was working as a nurse at a local hospital. I was thinking very seriously of the need to be baptized. I attended a local Protestant Church as often as possible and the Minister wanted to baptize me but I wasn’t sure. We had moved a few months before from a city eight miles away and I felt that I wanted to go back to where I was better acquainted and had attended another Church longer, to be baptized. I drove back there one afternoon with this in mind but found the Minister was out of town. I was disappointed, so I returned home. As I started to unlock my door I looked up and said, “Lord, I don’t know what you want me to do. You had better send me a message, or something!” The next afternoon two L.D.S. Missionaries knocked on my door. I invited them in, gave them a meal and they in turn taught me the gospel. I asked, “Are you alone now?” Her answer was, “My husband would not accept the gospel and did not approve of my doing so, but I couldn’t give it up, now I had found it. We separated and I brought my children to Utah where they can grow up in the church. There have been many prayers and tears since and I still hope that he will join us.” About Oct. 15, 1930 or 31 I accompanied Vern Hoyt from Alton to St. George in an old truck when he took a load of furniture and supplies for Beth Roundy who was moving there for the winter. We went by way of Zion Canyon through the 1.1 mile long tunnel which had been completed only a few years. We arrived in St. George without incident and stayed that night. The next morning we loaded two heifers and eighteen sheep we were to bring back to Alton. When we arrived in Springdale about noon we found that a section of tunnel had caved in shortly after we had gone through the day before. The word came that the tunnel would soon be cleared for traffic so we stayed in Springdale for two nights. The morning of Oct. 18, the word came that it would be some time before the tunnel would be opened and it had started to rain, so we decided to go around by way of Cedar City and over Cedar Mountain to get back home. We loaded the animals and arrived in Cedar City about noon. We filled the gas tank (it was a 9 gallon tank) and started up Cedar Canyon with a few flakes of snow falling on us. By the time we reached the switch-backs above Woods Ranch there were 2 or 3 inches of snow. The snow on the road was packed and slick from the traffic and we had to chip it off the switch-back with an axe and tire iron to get up them. We spent considerable time carrying water for it. About 9:00 p.m. we were out of gas and lacked a mile of reaching the summit. We had come about 17 miles from Cedar City. We were afraid the animals would freeze if we left them in the truck so we unloaded them and drove them up the road until we found a thick patch of trees where we left them and we headed down the road toward home. By this time it had stopped snowing but the 4 to 6 inches that had fallen was being drifted by a strong and cold North Wind. Vern was wearing oxfords and had a sheepskin coat and quilt for protection. I was wearing low cut work shoes and had a sweater, dress coat and blanket to try to keep me warm. Our shoes and pants legs were soaked form carrying water and soon froze. We had a few matches but hadn’t thought of making a fire until we had been walking an hour or two. When we finally came to some trees we struck the matches we had but everything was wet and we were so cold that we were unsuccessful with a fire. About midnight we walked into Deer Valley where we found Roy Baldwin and Grayden Siler camped in a wagon box with a cover on it. (They were working on the road.) They had a small tin stove in one corner and they let us keep a fire in it until morning. They also gave us some breakfast. The first we had to eat since the morning before. After the sun came up the wind stopped blowing and it was a nice day. The snow melted fast. We soon headed back toward the truck. I gathered the animals and Vern went on. Before he got to the truck he met Glen Heaton in a gas truck loaded to make a delivery. Glen gave him some gas and helped him start the truck and he soon caught up with me following the animals. It took us nearly all day to catch and load the animals without any corrals or fences. We arrived home just as the sun went down. The truck was in such bad condition they never drove it again. We both had frostbitten feet and legs and it took us a day or two to rest up. Newspaper Article (probably from the Southern Utah News) One of the major changes occurring in recent years in Alton happened this week. The Allen Cox family, who had lived in Alton for nearly a full lifetime, has moved to one of our neighboring communities. Alton’s loss was Orderville’s gain. Alton may never be quite the same again. Allen Cox was the oldest living resident of Alton who was actually born here. Nearly every home in town shows work of his carpentry. He was the postmaster of Alton until his retirement in 1975. He owned a community mercantile here for many years. His skill in leather work made him in demand throughout the county for shoe repairs. No matter what the task, Allen was dependable. We say to our Orderville friends—you are gaining a strong family! Twila, too, has made a remarkable contribution to our small community. In all of Allen’s business ventures, she has worked beside him. In the church, she served as primary president, primary teacher, Sunday School Teacher, Relief Society President, and Relief Society visiting teacher, and with all that she had eleven children to care for! Each of the children in turn has served in various ways in the church and community. They have been quorum presidents and secretaries, teachers in the auxiliaries, choristers and organists, too. All of the sons over 19 years have served missions. They had 3 sons on missions in Australia at the same time. Dean had been the church custodian for the past two years. Allen served as bishop of the Alton Ward for a number of years. For the past 25 years he has been the Ward Clerk. Always accurate and dependable, his records were a notable achievement. If the old Cox home could tell its story, it could probably fill a book. Many families lived there before the Cox family moved into it. The Israel Hoyt family lived there a number of years. Lorena Roundy lived in it for a while in the upstairs rooms when she was 14. And now, it will become the home of the Orval Palmers. David Palmer summed it up in his testimony when he said, “I’m thankful for my home but I’m glad were moving to a better one.” We wish the best to the Cox’s and thank them for making Alton a better place to live. Typed by Jeanette Sorensen Esplin, 2013

Life timeline of Allen M Cox

Allen M Cox was born on 16 Mar 1913
Allen M Cox was 15 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Allen M Cox was 26 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Allen M Cox was 32 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
Allen M Cox was 45 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Allen M Cox was 51 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Allen M Cox was 60 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Allen M Cox was 73 years old when Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board. The Space Shuttle program was the fourth human spaceflight program carried out by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which accomplished routine transportation for Earth-to-orbit crew and cargo from 1981 to 2011. Its official name, Space Transportation System (STS), was taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development.
Allen M Cox was 77 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Allen M Cox died on 16 Feb 2002 at the age of 88
Grave record for Allen M Cox (16 Mar 1913 - 16 Feb 2002), BillionGraves Record 45208668 Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States