Albert David Dimmick

13 Feb 1865 - 10 Feb 1940

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Albert David Dimmick

13 Feb 1865 - 10 Feb 1940
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Albert David Dimmick (13 Feb 1865 - 10 Feb 1940) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Albert David Dimmick


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States




March 9, 2012


March 4, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Albert David


Albert David Dimmick is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



A History written by Aunt Ivy Hill Brasher

Contributor: Carol23 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Rachel Lucinda Elmer Hill was the daughter of Lucius Boardman Elmer and Mary Elizabeth Loveless. Lucius B. Elmer was born 13 June 1833 at Millsville, Underhill, Chittenden, Vermont to David Jackson Elmer (born 19 September 1807 Hartland, Windsor, Vermont) and Wealthy Elmer (born 1808 or 1812 at Orange, Orange, Vermont to John Elmer and Sally, Sarah, Polly Peake or Peaque). David’s father, Squire Elmer, and Wealthy’s father, John Elmer, were brothers, sons of William Elmer and Mary Kibbe. John and David and their families joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They left their homes in Vermont to gather with the Saints. In 1838 John’s wife, Sally Peake, died in Ohio. He married Harriet Brunson. Later they moved to Winter Quarters where David died in 1842. This left Wealthy a widow with 3 children, Charles, Lucius B., and Martha. Wealthy married Joseph (Jack) Depew and they had 2 sons. She died in Iowa in 1851 and left five children to the care of her father. These children stayed with their grandfather until they married. On 24 November 1855, Lucius B. Elmer married Mary Elizabeth Loveless, daughter of John Loveless and Rachel Mahala Anderson. They met in Missouri and came West and lived in Salt Lake City, Utah a while. There they had a daughter, Elizabeth, born in 1856 who died as a baby; then they had a son, Lucius (Tuti), born in 1857 in Salt Lake City. They moved to Payson where their daughter, Rachel Lucinda, was born 17 September 1858. Lucius B, was a farmer. He raised a few sheep from which Mary Elizabeth wove the cloth to make clothing for the family. As Lucinda was the only girl, she was busy helping with housework and the care of the children. When Lucinda was 12 years old she met Robert Wimmer Hill. He was born in Springville, Utah, 15 May 1858, to Alexander Brice Hill, born 20 September 1834 and Eliza Jane Wimmer, born 25 January 1841. They were sweethearts from that time until they were married 17 March 1877. At the age of 18 Robert had no home. His parents parted before he was born. So they decided to make a home together. They had a little home in Payson. There their first child was born, 17 April 1878. He lived until 2 March 1879. The young parents were very grieved at the loss of their son. His name was Robert Elmer Hill. Robert had been freighting from Pioche, Nevada hauling gold bouillon to Salt Lake City for four years when they were married. He had kept the job until the spring 1879. He, with Hyrum Loveless, Martin Loveless, and Philander Burch came to Castle Valley with the hope of finding a new home. Robert W. Hill took a claim on a farm northeast of Huntington. He and his wife, Lucinda, and Philander and his wife, Lucretia moved to Castle Valley on 7 October 1879. When they returned he found that L.P. Overson had jumped his claim. He went on down the creek a few miles and took up a 160 acre claim, part of it being where the town of Lawrence stands. His Uncle John Wimmer owned a claim near his claim, and traded him, ten acres for the ten acres he had in town. So people could have a lot and all live close together. When they came in October they made dugouts, one for R. W. Hill and family and one for Philander Burch and family. The room was large with a homemade carpet on the floor. A fireplace in the north end. The cook stove was in the southwest corner of the room. They brought a food supply of food with them. Flour, dried fruit, beans, meat and vegetables. Mother brought a bottle of yeast with her. When they got here they found the bottle was broken. Mother scraped the yeast off the pieces of glass and started another jar of yeast, and she kept the start of yeast for many months. I have heard them tell of the wonderful yeast biscuits she made. Lucinda Elmer Hill was born of goodly parents who had joined the Latter-Day Saints church and left their homes in the East to come to the Rocky Mountains to serve the Lord and learn of his ways. She was of medium height, had gray eyes and she had long brown hair. She attended school in Payson. Learned reading, writing and arithmetic which was very good in helping her children with their school work. During the summer vacations, she had her children read a lesson every day before they went to play. When Uncle Philander and Aunt Lucretia Burch came from Payson in October 1879 they brought David Dimmick with them. He is my father’s, R.W. Hill’s, half-brother to live with us. He was 10 years old when he came, lived with us until he was 22 years old and married Sarah Roper. On 18 December 1879 Viola Burch was born. Uncle Philander and our father just returned from a trip to Payson where they had bought flour and other provisions. On 6 January 1880, Ivy May Hill was born. Sally Elmer was the midwife who took care of Mother and the baby. The winter of 1880 was considered or called the “hard winter”. Snow was deep, it was cold and all their livestock died except one heifer, which Grandfather Lucius Elmer gave to Mother when they left for Castle Valley. They kept her for several years. She had seven heifer calves. That spring they decided to build a canal to take the water to their farms. Father and Uncle Philander would go up where they were building a dam to turn the water into the Avery canal. They went on Monday morning and stayed until Saturday night when they would return for another supply of food and clean clothes, returning again to work Monday morning. In the spring of 1880 my father planted many acres of wheat on his farm east of the dugouts with seed he brought from Payson. After the seed was planted and watered, father went on the freight road, freighting from Price to Duschene. It took about two weeks to make the trip. When he came home from the trip, he went to see the wheat. The ground was crusted and he could see the sprouts down in the cracks in the ground. He felt very discouraged, even shed tears. Thought of taking his family and leave the country, then decided to water the wheat again and go on another trip on the freight road. When he returned, he went to see his wheat. He said he never seen a more beautiful sight. The wheat had come up so good. He raised 40 bushels to the acre. We lived in the dugouts for four years. In 1883 Uncle Philander built us a one-room log house up on the town sight. Here on 23 December 1883, Annie Lile was born. She was very small when born. Oh how we (I) loved my little sister. The next year we had a kitchen built. We now had a nice kitchen and the log room was our living room and bed room. It was surely nice. Here my brother Melvin was born 15 September 1886. My parents were very proud of him as they had lost their first son. They were very happy to have another son. He had curly hair. As time went on my father farmed and went on the freight road, which helped to give the necessary money to pay expenses. I remember when he was on the road, Mother fed the cows and horses and worked very hard to keep the home fires burning. We always had a garden, some chickens, pigs, and milk cows so we raised much of our own food. One time I remember she was tired and didn’t feel very well and she asked us children to pray for her. We knelt by her bed and each one prayed in turn that she would get well. It was here she taught us to pray and have faith in Our Heavenly Father. On 31 May 1889 their third son was born. His name was Lucius Elmer Hill. Mother said he was the best baby she had. She could lay him down on the bed and he would go to sleep without being rocked. 7 April 1891 my brother, Guy Wimmer Hill, was born. He was a big baby and a good baby. When he was ten days old, Mother took very sick and had a stroke. She lost the use of her right hand and her left leg. It was several months before she was able to get around. In fact, she never got so she could get around like she did before. We children had been taught to help with the work. Lile and I had learned to help care for our little brothers. Now that Mother was disabled, the leadership of the work fell on me. I was eleven years old at this time and Lile was seven. When Mother was so sick, she called me to her. I said, “Do you think you will get well, Mother?” She said, “I am so sick but I do pray our Heavenly Father will help me to get well until I can raise my children. I want you to pray to Our Heavenly Father to bless me.” I remember we had Quarterly Conference. Some of the Church Authorities were down. They came to our house and administrated to Mother. I remember it gave her hopes that she would get well. We tried to help our father to do the work. We had a hard time doing the work. We couldn’t get anybody to do the washing so we would try to do it, then our father got us a washer that we could turn by hand. It surely helped us with the washing. On the 22 July 1893 Euzella Lovina was born. We were so happy with our little sister. When Vina was about four years old our father bought the old John Wimmer home from Lee Lemon. Uncle Philander Burch had built the house for Uncle John Wimmer in 1883. They lived there for a while then moved to Uinta County. He sold his home to Jonathon Hunt who later sold it to Lee Lemon. Our folks did a lot of work on the house and painted it and made a very nice home. It was a large adobe house with a living room, dining room, four bedrooms and a small kitchen. In the year 1897 we moved into the new home and were very happy with it. We had a hired man, the school teacher, mother and father and six children. Very often when men were riding, looking for their cattle they would come and stay overnight. In 1894, our father and Uncle George Elmer (Mother’s brother) went on horseback with a pack horse to Big Horn, Wyoming to look at the country with the hope of moving there. In June, our parents went over to Payson to tell their parents, brothers and sisters, their many friends goodbye and to see Aunt Vina and Uncle Martin Loveless. They were gone about 3 weeks. They left Lile and I home. They stayed much longer than they had intended. Oh! How lonesome we girls got. When they returned they brought an organ and had decided to stay with our home in Castle Valley. So they got us a music teacher. Brother Thomas Richards of Cleveland gave us music lessons and taught us to play the organ. We spent many hours trying to learn to play. He taught us to accompany ourselves or each other when we sang songs and spent many happy hours singing and playing. Many evenings were spent when the whole family took part. 12 August 1889 the Lawrence Ward was organized, Calvin Moore as Bishop, Jonathon Hunt, and ? Councilors. Up to this time we belonged to the Huntington Ward. Now we had a very good ward. We had a choir led by Andrew Mortensen. Everybody belonged to the choir. It was a fine thing to belong to the choir. In the summer of 1898 the Emery Stake choir was organized, Thomas Hardy as the leader. They decided to go to Salt Lake City at October Conference time to contest in the Estedfod so many hours were spent practicing. Lile and I were in the choir. Our choir didn’t get the prize but we got the opportunity to sing at one session of the conference. Our parents helped us to attend the practices and to go to Salt Lake City, where we had a very good time. Well, we returned home to lots of work. One thing we had to do was to cook for the family, the hired men and Uncle Philander were still living with us. (Aunt Lucretia died in 1893 at Christmas time. Uncle Philander kept the family together for a few years. Viola, his oldest, got married. Sylvia and Emmer Jane went to live with Grandma Loveless. Uncle Philander and Albert came to live with us in 1898.) Mother had rented a room to the school teacher, Will Allen, and his wife. So our house was filled up. Among the many things we had to do was to finish the layette for the expected baby. On 11 November 1898 Charles H. Hill was born. Oh! how we enjoyed him. It was over five years since there had been a baby in our family so he received a great deal of attention from every member of the family. That winter we enjoyed ourselves very much. In the evenings we spent the time singing, reading, and visiting. Brother Allen had been on a mission to the Samoan Islands and we enjoyed the stories he told of his experiences and descriptions of the Islands and people. Mrs. Allen could sing so Lile and I helped out with programs. There were many times the whole group joined in the songs. Uncle Philander was a Civil War veteran and told us many stories of the war. He was wounded at Chickamogue. There was many a pan of apples and often a plate of honey candy for refreshments. In 1890 the people of Lawrence decided to build a meeting house. It was also used for a school house. The house was built by donations from the people. It was used for all public meetings and recreation until the brick school house was built. In 18— Ole Tuft, R.W. Hill and Andrew Mortensen were the Trustees when the brick school house was built. In the year 1894, Andrew Mortensen and the Christopherson boys came to Lawrence from Sanpete County. They were musicians. Andrew could play the organ very well, the Christopherson boys: horns and string instruments. About the first thing they did was to get everyone that could sing together. Out of this pleasant past time grew the choir. We practiced once or twice each week, a good choir was the result. In the winter of 1895, the people of Lawrence decided to organize a Brass Band. Thomas Richards as the teacher as he lived in Cleveland. He would come over to give us our lessons, stay overnight at our place and have band practice in the evening. Our father learned to play a tenor horn and Mel, our brother, played the triangle. We had a good band. We were very proud to think Mel and our father belonged to the Band. Our father bought a herd of sheep from his Uncle Tom Wimmer which gave him a lot of work to do and a lot of trouble. We are very glad for Mother’s prayer which she offered many years before, that she would get well and be permitted to raise her children, was answered. Charles was the youngest son and was married a few days before her death. Typed from handwritten copy of “A History written by Aunt Ivy Hill Brasher” by her niece, Wanda Hill Leseberg, daughter of Guy Wimmer Hill, 13 September 2003.

Life timeline of Albert David Dimmick

Albert David Dimmick was born on 13 Feb 1865
Albert David Dimmick was 15 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Albert David Dimmick was 23 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
Albert David Dimmick was 27 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Albert David Dimmick was 39 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Albert David Dimmick was 52 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Albert David Dimmick was 65 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Albert David Dimmick was 75 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Albert David Dimmick died on 10 Feb 1940 at the age of 75
Grave record for Albert David Dimmick (13 Feb 1865 - 10 Feb 1940), BillionGraves Record 800876 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States