Get started contributing to starý židovský cintorín, Jánošíkova street. Use the button below to begin a simple step by step process to get started contributing to starý židovský cintorín, Jánošíkova street.
THE JEWISH CEMETERY ON JÁNOŠÍKOVÁ STREET is the older one from the two Jewish burial sites in Piešťany. There are 637, mostly well-maintained sandstone, marble, granite and a few terrazzo tombstones of various sizes, shapes and ages, situated in the remained rectangular fenced site; the oldest identified gravestones come from the half of the 19th century. The ceremonial object (ciduk hadin) was removed from the original site at the end of the 20th century, and now after its restoration it is used for secular purposes. The undamaged funeral cart (merkavat-ha-metim), temporarily stored in the cemetery‘s shed, belonged to the inventory of the Funeral Brotherhood (Chevra kadiša). There are no available or reliable data about the beginnings of this burial site (bet olam), but supposedly it could have used in the 18th century as there lived 13 Jewish families in Piešťany in 1736 and their number quadrupled towards the end of the century. However, this assumption needs to be confirmed by the examination of the most weathered sandstone stelae. Although the cemetery has not been formally listed as a cultural sight it has all the required characteristics for it and it is the one of the most valued sights in Piešťany.