Woodlawn Cemetery is the oldest extant cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana. After its establishment in 1839, families began removing remains from other local cemeteries to be re-interred in Woodlawn. In the years following its opening, the cemetery donated land for the establishment of Catholic and Jewish cemeteries. Several mayors of Terre Haute, along with other local notables, are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.
The Confederate Monument is located at the intersection of Central and Wabash Avenues within Woodlawn Cemetery. Erected in 1912, the 11' tall granite monument commemorates 11 Confederate prisoners of war who died in a local prison and are interred in Woodlawn. The names of the Confederates are inscribed in bronze tablets attached to the monument. Ten of the 11 soldiers were members of Gantt's 9th battalion, Tennessee Cavalry.