This 100 acre property faces Hamilton Harbour. During the War of 1812 a stockade was erected on the site for defensive purposes, while later the stone mansion of Peter Carroll, known as Rock Bay Castle was constructed. By 1870, the building was used as a resort hotel with an elaborate ballroom, while in the early 1900s it became a clubhouse. Fire destroyed the interior of the mansion in May 1908, and the property was abandoned. With the Hamilton Cemetery on York Street approaching capacity in 1919, the City selected the site as the location for a new cemetery, purchasing it from the Town of East Flamborough for $130,000. The castle ruins were removed in landscaping the property, with the rubble used to build the internal cemetery road system. The first burial took place in 1921 for Mary Parlour. There are several sections of military graves for Canadian soldiers in the cemetery, and a memorial to those who lost their lived in the Hungarian uprising of 1956.
The cemeteries physical location is in Burlington. Its physical address is Burlington this follows the cemetery property line, but the second you cross into the property it's in Hamilton. The official mailing address is in Hamilton